Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

Default i failed at atkin's :O

It isn't for me, for a variety of reasons. But for anyone browsing these forums looking for a diet to try I wanted to share the positive things I took away from my week of induction.

1 - Psyllium husks RULE (fiber supplement). Definately a keeper for life, and I won't dread the next time I have to take perscription painkillers

2 - The world is saturated in cheap sugar. A tiny bit goes a long way and if you can break away from all sugar for even a few days your taste for it will change. The darkest chocolate tastes almost too sweet for me now, and I think if I had a full name brand candy bar or soda I'd have a heart attack.

3 - It was working! After being in a long stall I saw 159 yesterday. I adhered to it religiously; measuring, counting, even giving away a ham I bought before realizing it had dextrose in it.

4 - Chocolate, I took you for granted and I'm sorry. Let's never break up again.
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 AM   #2  

ginny you did not fail at Atkins, as you said it wasn't for you. There was some positives and you lost a couple of pounds. Now you just need to find a plan that works for you.

I've tried several plans and have learned something from each of them. I've now found one that I feel works best for me and you will too.

Last edited by kahnfv; 07-18-2008 at 01:22 AM.
kahnfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Failure has GOT to be taken out of our vocabulary. You did not fail at Atkins, you successfully learned that Atkins is not for you. That's fine.

Don't be afraid to make a list of what you DID find that you liked about the plan, or a component that stood out as something did (or didn't) help. Because you may find that NO existing, "pre-packaged" diet is right for you, and you may have to continue to tweak and design your own custom-made plan (though if you're not confident that your plan is healthy and balanced, consider getting a dietitian's opinion, if you can).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...until you find something that is doable for YOU!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

In retrospect my real problem was caffeine. The book advises against it and I was going to follow it to the letter! Caffeine withdrawl turned out to be a very real problem for me the entire week. I thought I might fall asleep driving home from work and that's when I'm usually the most peppy!

I was sooooo cranky that when it came time to make more cucumber dressing with cream instead of plain yogurt I just cracked heh. I drove all the way to the co-op for yogurt, and a bottle of Honest Tea (60 sugar calories).

Then I proceeded to exceed my vegtable count by having asparagus for dinner.

I love that I've gotten to the point of thinking plain yogurt and asparagus are treats! So you are right and thank you for the responses Sometimes I need a bit of perspective ... it wasn't Pizza Hut!
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I also have a caffeine addiction. I chose a different low carb plan from Atkins that wasn't quite as strict and only said I should stay off caffeine for 2 weeks. Unfortunately I couldn't do this either (serious caffeine addiction here) but I still managed to lose 25 lbs. in the first month.

The biggest thing for me was replacing the sugar-laden coffee and mountain dews with a couple of cups of coffee w/splenda in the morning and drinking nothing but water the rest of the day.

Like everyone else has said though - you didn't 'fail' - you just need to find the WoE that is made for YOU.

Good luck!
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote