General chatter - I Was So Embarrassed, I Almost Cried..

Sweetcaroline
07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I was in a sports shoe store today trying on several pairs of walking shoes. I was 'finally' approached by a sales person (A guy about 40) and I asked him I he had 'those' in a 10. He said no, sorry... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear... I was stunned by the comment how RUDE ! but I fought back tears and left... I'm so sick of feeling like I need to defend the size of my body, and now the size of my feet :( .. (this isn't the 1st time someone has commented on my size 10's..) some people are so rude !! For sometime now I thought size 10's were getting to be 'more normal'.... but I'm curious now, what size shoe do you wear ???
~Caroline~

SoulBliss
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
:hug: People say senseless, inappropriate things all the time. Customer service isn't often what it should be!!!

I wear a size 10. :)

We have to special order DH's shoes. They are a size 2 1.

That's right. TWENTY ONE.

He has stories to tell about comments on feet, let me tell you!

EVERY DAY someone says something.

So, I relate, both for myself and my DH.

zenor77
07-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Let me guess... were you at a Big 5? I've never had a good experience there and they don't carry many sizes and they don't carry wides either.

I happen to wear a size 9, but my sister wears an 11 and my best friend wears a 10, so I hardly think your feet are out of the normal range. People can be so rude sometimes!

ars
07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm a size 9.5 in New Balance (D width) and usually a 10 or even 11 in everything else. I'm so sorry you got treated badly! Some people are just jerks.

I've had good experiences with ordering from Zappos, it's great if you know your shoe size and shipping is free (even if you need to return the shoes for a different size).

luckymommy
07-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I am so sorry you had to deal with an idiot. I wear a size 9.5 or 10...depending on the brand and the way the shoe is cut. If I was with you, I would have told him that apparently they don't give an IQ test to work there because he would never make it! I also would have told him, "Oh, your name is ___ ? Ok, I'm going to go look for your manager. Have a nice day!" But of course, I always think of the best things to say after the fact! Anyway, as I once heard Oprah say (or someone on her show): if you're angry at someone it's like drinking their poison...or something to that effect. Let it go and be glad to know that you are surrounded by good people here and that guy is not a good person and eventually, it will catch up to him...if it hasn't already. Hugs to you!

yoyonomoreinvegas
07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
The term *Customer Service* has become an oxymoron........And that clerk was just a plain moron.

I'm sorry you had to take that kind of verbal abuse :hug:

JennyG
07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm anywhere from a size 9 to a size 11. that is soo rude, You should complain to the manager of that store.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar008/slider-scaleblue/lb/285/175/207/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Here we go again
07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
What an idiot! It's not too late if you want to act. I would call or go back and talk to a manager. It's not ok that he treated you like that. When you talk to the manager tell them that you will tell everyone you know about your experience here if the situation is not dealt with. You can work your way up the food chain too if you're not satisfied with what the manager has done.

I wear a 10 1/2 to 11 and I've never had anyone comment on my feet. The fact that guy is 40 and has no manners says a lot about him.

I was just thinking, a lot of the women I know have a size 10 foot. It's not that uncommon at all.

LisaMarie71
07-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I wear a size 9 1/2 to 10 and my family teases me about my big feet, but I'm tall so they kind of make sense... And I don't mind my family teasing me, but a salesperson certainly shouldn't!

I think you should complain about that person, but if it's a chain store you should try to find out who the district manager is and complain to them. If you complain to the store manager, they could be close because they work together, and they might just laugh it off. If you complain to someone higher up, that guy might actually be punished in some way, and he should!

tommy
07-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Just a jerk! Most likely poking at you because he feels inadequate about himself in some way. I can be up to a 10 these days because I wear orthotics. I was a 7-1/2 to 8 most of my life, then got heavier, and then the orthotics take up space. Hard to find women's shoes in that size that are not the on-sale leftovers. I need to find a better place than the local sporting goods stores as well. Good luck and try not to give those bozos power over you.

full of grace
07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
that is soo rude, You should complain to the manager of that store.

I agree.

If it's a chain, write a letter to corporate.

Don't get too deeply into how emotional you got or how upset it made you. Simply state what it is the clerk said to you and how they lost a customer--and many more where that came from, since you have told people about the horrible customer service experience you had there--and you hope it's not the corporation's policy to allow its employees to behave that way.

Note when it happened so they can identify the clerk and reprimand him/put this in his incident file. If he's had other, similar complaints and warnings, he will be fired.

Sorry, but I see no call for treating people that way. He probably thinks he is soooooo funny and clever. Nope. He's sad. And he needs to be made aware that customers will not stand for being treated that way. His bosses need to be made aware that that sort of thing is happening, too.

And if he IS the boss, well, I guess that's just a store you will choose never to visit again. :\ Not a "big win," there, but it's something.

Finally: :hug:

tamaralynn
07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I wear 9.5W - 10W ladies or size 8 mens since I was 12. It's such a pain.

Sorry to hear about that guy - what a dipsh*t

kaplods
07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I wholeheartedly agree about complaining to the manager. A 10 is not a freakish size, and even if it WERE, there would be no excuse for the clerk acting that way.

I don't know whether the guy thought he was "Al Bundy," but this is real life, not a sitcom, and no matter how pitiful his life is, he had no right to take it out on you, and it certainly isn't funny.

I wear a 9 to a 10, and I've NEVER, NEVER, NEVER been treated so rudely regarding my shoe size. With athletic shoes, in particular, the guy was a complete moron. Not only would many of the women's size come in a size 10, a woman's 10 is about a man's 8, and many of the women's and men's sizes are identical or very close in styling. So, if he couldn't find what you wanted in a size 10, he almost certainly could have found a very similar style in a man's size 8. The guy was not only RUDE, but STUPID because I'm guessing he gets paid on commision. He passed up on an opportunity to make you happy and put money in his pocket, instead he chose to be an ***insert expletive of your choice here ***.

ladybugnessa
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
What an idiot! It's not too late if you want to act. I would call or go back and talk to a manager. It's not ok that he treated you like that. When you talk to the manager tell them that you will tell everyone you know about your experience here if the situation is not dealt with. You can work your way up the food chain too if you're not satisfied with what the manager has done.

I wear a 10 1/2 to 11 and I've never had anyone comment on my feet. The fact that guy is 40 and has no manners says a lot about him.

I was just thinking, a lot of the women I know have a size 10 foot. It's not that uncommon at all.

I agree

my gf has an 11. it's hard for her too

DH wears a 15DDD i get it.

but he needs to be reported.

albertagirl11
07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I wear a size 9, sometimes a 9.5 depending on the size of shoe. My sister is a 10 - 10.5! So don't feel bad. That guy was jus being an @S$! Not all sales people are like him. xox

Iconised Ghost
07-17-2008, 08:58 PM
my sports shoes are about a size 9.5-10, what an idiot! We may have big feet, but at least we're not big a**holes. I would definately complain

Pixiesue
07-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I wear asize nine and that guy was a jerk! I'd complain to his supervisor

Apple Cheeks
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I wear a size 12, and I've never had anyone make a comment like that to me. (But then again, I know my feet are huge so I'm usually the first one to joke about my feet being as big as snowshoes, or kids using my shoes as sleds.)

However, it's impossible for me to find running/walking shoes in my size that are made for women. I have to get fitted with men's shoes, since companies like New Balance apparently don't believe there are women who wear something bigger than a size 10 who run or want to buy those types of shoes. :rolleyes:

So, if the stores you like to go to have a limited selection of women's shoes in your size, maybe you could try men's sneakers. They work fine for me, and are much easier to get than something comparable in a women's size. :)

Pixiesue
07-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh me too apple cheeks! I've never actually gone a bought a pair of mens shoes for me but my husbands shoes generally fit me fine and comfortable!

Shopaholic1204
07-17-2008, 09:08 PM
OMFG!! What a total jacka**!!! Oh man..I could say a lot more about that guy right now, but I'm holding it all in!!!! :mad: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I wear a size 8. And yesterday at Old Navy, I was looking for some shoes and they only had size 10s. I always thought that was a pretty common size.

I hope you dont mind...but I read this to my dh. He used to work in a sports shoe store back in HS. And first of all..he was seriously appalled by what the jacka** said. And 2nd..he said that you could've gone straight to the manager and got the guy fired right on the spot. He said to give you a :hug: too

Ntregme
07-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I would complain. That is totally uncalled for. Sorry for your bad experience. Shoe shopping should be fun~!!!

cephalopod gal
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Okay, I wear anywhere from an 8 to a 10 (weird, I know, I think my feet like to morph at night or something). That guy was probably just dumb. I agree with other posters about talking to his manager. If you don't want to go back, just call the store and ask to speak with the manager and tell him/her about the incident and how their employee lost you as a customer FOREVER. (Even if you don't mean forever, they won't know :P) :) :hug:

Realist
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I wear 13. I know they are boats. But, I buy shoes online at this point, or look around, I never ask for help. DH wears 15, and brother wears a 16-17.

By the way Apple, do you have a Ross Dress for Less near you? I have bought TWO pair of size 13 women's new balances there for 9.99. Woohoo!!! Very hit and miss, but worth looking.

murphmitch
07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
What a moron! My sister wears a 10. She's never had trouble getting shoes that I know of. I agree with the Zappos poster. When I ordered from them, I got my shoes the next day!

ForABetterLife
07-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I wear a size 12, and luckily I've never been given a comment like this. I know my feet are big and I'm kinda proud of that.

Personally, I either shop at payless, because I know they always carry bigger sizes, or I buy mens sneakers.

WebRover
07-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I wear a 10 with a narrow heel. My two best friends also wear 10's. I think it's a very common size. I have bought men's sports shoes before. And once in the 80's I even found a pair of men's shoes in the exact same style as the women's shoes I wanted that they no longer had in my size. I will say the men's shoes do not fit the same. There was no need for the stupid comment. :hug:

Apple Cheeks
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
By the way Apple, do you have a Ross Dress for Less near you? I have bought TWO pair of size 13 women's new balances there for 9.99. Woohoo!!! Very hit and miss, but worth looking.

I'm not sure. I usually don't even bother going into stores like that, because they rarely have anything in my size I'd want to buy (clothes, or shoes). I've never seen a size 12 women's shoe of any kind in those stores whenever I have looked, so I don't even bother to try shopping there.

Consequently, stores like Ross or Marshall's aren't on my "mental map" of shopping spots in my area. :p

stellarwbz
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Man what a jerk that guy was. I have the hardest time shopping for shoes. I wear between a 10.5 and 11. I've got big feet. My BF feet are the same size as mine.

Teacher2B
07-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi! It's horrible that you've had to suffer that stupid. I agree with the other posts. you should complain.
I also wear a size 10 (not really sure, because we use other kind of sizes in my country, but I got a conversion table), but I may wear a 9.5 or 10.5; I haven't so much problem with open shoes (sandals, etc) or sport shoes, but with other kinds of closed shoes (leather shoes, etc); It's very difficult for me to get formal shoes. In common shops, the highest number is a 9, and sometimes 9.5, but in general they are too narrow, and I have wide feet. If not, I have to go to a special shop (and we haven't too many in my country; I don't think there are more than 5, and all in the capital city); either I bought them there, and they are very expensive, or I have to pay more for having them done in my size.
Sorry about my English. You can see that I'm not a native.
And as Monty Python say: "If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you forgotten, and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing...":)

Trixie14
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I have ALWAYS worn a size 9/10 even when I was in grade 8, when I weighed maybe 150 at the highest, and I'm only 5'4, I just have big feet I guess... it was extremely rude of him to say that and you should complain to his manager/supervisor. I know if it were me and my boyfriend was with he probabaly would have torn the guy a new one... I'm sorry you had to go through that though, I'm always embarrased about my weight, I hate going out to eat, I hate shopping for anything :(

KimV
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I wear anywhere from an 8 to a 9, depending on the style. Since high school, I could go in and get an 8 no matter the style until a few years ago when I injured my foot. Now, I actually have to try on the shoe to see if it will fit.

I have a friend who is very tall (she's 6 foot or maybe taller) and wears a size 11. Most of my friends seem to be size 9 and 10's.

The manager, or his boss should take care of the problem if you say something to them. It is less expensive for a company to keep their current customers than to bring in new ones. Plus the fact that for every upset customer that tells about bad service in a store, they tell an average of five people, who will usually tell a few people, etc. etc. This store can end up loosing many potential or currently loyal customers from the experience of one person (gee, I guess all those business classes do come in handy for something :) Who'd of thought? lol).

auntie g
07-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Another size 10 here, as are several of my friends. Though I've always been uncomfortable about my clothing size, I've never once thought size 10 shoes was an issue!

EZMONEY
07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
:hug: SWEET-C :(:hug:

The guy is a jerk! Probably a yankee fan ;)

Angie is 5'5" wears a 10 AA...can't find shoes to fit anywhere! Daughter Amanda is 5'11" and wears a 10 - Lara is 5'9" and wears a 9-10 - one of our niece's wears a 10

I wear a 10 - son a 14 - nephew a 12

we are all good :) people...well....I'm not THAT :devil: bad!

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Smiling_Sara
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I was in a sports shoe store today trying on several pairs of walking shoes. I was 'finally' approached by a sales person (A guy about 40) and I asked him I he had 'those' in a 10. He said no, sorry... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear... I was stunned by the comment how RUDE ! but I fought back tears and left... I'm so sick of feeling like I need to defend the size of my body, and now the size of my feet :( .. (this isn't the 1st time someone has commented on my size 10's..) some people are so rude !! For sometime now I thought size 10's were getting to be 'more normal'.... but I'm curious now, what size shoe do you wear ???
~Caroline~

:hug: that is so unprofessional of him. Karma will get him.

I vary between 6.5 and 7.5 Wide

Clydegirl
07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Caroline what a jerk. You should complain to the management.

I wear a 9.

kaplods
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Slightly off topic, but pertinent I think. I love my New Balance, but I will never buy women's New Balance ever again. My hubby (a former salesman of very expensive shoes), tipped me off about trying men's shoes in the New Balance. The styles are mostly very similar so only your feet will know the difference. He said that he would often recommend "women's" New Balance for guys with small narrow feet, and he would recommend "men's" New Balance for women with wide feet. Though he said he usually would tell the customer "I know this is going to sound crazy, but...."

But, really what is so crazy about it... the shoes don't have boy or girl "cooties," and if the styles are nearly identical why not pick the shoe that actually fits (Besides for women and men it's a ego boost if you believe in vanity sizing, the guys self-conscious about their feet being too small get to a shoe two sizes bigger than they normally wear, and women self-conscious about big feet get to wear two sizes smaller than they normally wear). Ok, we really know there's no "real" difference, but at least you should get a good pair of shoes that fit and look nice and that's what's really important.

JulieJ08
07-17-2008, 11:38 PM
[SIZE="2"]... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear...

What a weirdo.

MalibuBeachBound
07-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah that guy like others have said was just rude. Larger feet are nothing to be ashamed of. Actually, I think size 5s look silly on a grown adult over 5' (no offense to anyone that has small feet either ;) ) I wear a size 8 shoe, but I have a 110 lb, 5'6" friend that wears a 10 and another friend that wears an 11. A 10 isn't an unreasonable size. Some day, that boy will learn manners the hard way... unfortunately.

chickybird
07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
That sucks!!!! You NEED to complain to the manager, otherwise he'll do it to someone else.
Years ago, I went looking for prom shoes at a place that rhymes with "Dillard's" (get it?). I told the salesgirl and asked if she had anything in a size 11. She said, "No, we only have shoes for normal people." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! Then she told me about a shoestore in downtown Houston that carried shoes for transvestites. I'm not making this up. I was so ashamed I left the store. I never complained, and I wish I had. That stupid girl should have been fired for insulting a young, sensitive teenager girl like that. I never shop at Dillards now. And when I walk through it with my friends who do shop there, salespeople approach me to buy/try things. And I tell every one of them why I no longer shop at their store--they are always shocked and aplogetic.
I'm a size 11, and sometimes I wear men's sneakers. Cheaper and a better fit.

junebug41
07-18-2008, 12:14 AM
That sucks!!!! You NEED to complain to the manager, otherwise he'll do it to someone else.
Years ago, I went looking for prom shoes at a place that rhymes with "Dillard's" (get it?). I told the salesgirl and asked if she had anything in a size 11. She said, "No, we only have shoes for normal people." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! Then she told me about a shoestore in downtown Houston that carried shoes for transvestites. I'm not making this up. I was so ashamed I left the store. I never complained, and I wish I had. That stupid girl should have been fired for insulting a young, sensitive teenager girl like that. I never shop at Dillards now. And when I walk through it with my friends who do shop there, salespeople approach me to buy/try things. And I tell every one of them why I no longer shop at their store--they are always shocked and apologetic.
I'm a size 11, and sometimes I wear men's sneakers. Cheaper and a better fit.

Is it bad that I've been to that store? Not for shoes mind you, but I DID spend my freshman year at UH! :o

On to the OP:

A) size 10 is a COMMON size. Period.

B) You MUST complain about this. As chickybird said, he could go on to say something equally mean to someone else tomorrow. He needs to be held accountable for what is totally inexcusable behavior. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that a******.

Sweetcaroline
07-18-2008, 12:16 AM
and then the orthotics take up space.
that's exactly what I need the new shoes for; orthotics...

The guy is a jerk! Probably a yankee fan
Yes, He must be, most are fools, sorry Darby1 :hug:

My goodness 3FC angels to the rescue again.. :angel: Thank you for the support. I am really considering going back into that store and complaining. I actually think that guy was a manager though.. but I have to take action in some way, I think I'll feel better. One of these days I'll regain the strength I used to have to stand my ground with people... Taking care of this is another good step... But I still need shoes !! :running: I'll keep all the chickies posted on my progress... you guys are great !

SoulBliss
07-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I am really considering going back into that store and complaining.

I would call or send a letter. I'd feel calmer and more comfortable when they weren't looking at me. :^:

Sweetcaroline
07-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Good point Soulbliss... then I can get my thoughts in order... thanks

shelby897
07-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I wear an 11 (or 12 when I'm pregant :D). I don't even bother with shoes too much any more, just buy the men's sneakers/sandals and occasionally buy really cheap dress shoes when I need them. Got to be too difficult -- because apparently because my feet are long, there are expected to be wide as well!!

A few years back my sister called me to let me know how upset she was -- she stutures, mostly when she is nervous -- was at a deli at a grocery store -- had difficulty getting out what she wanted to say and the clerk made a few choice comments such as "spit it out" and mocked her. She just walked out. However, I sent an e-mail to the store manager complaining, pointing out that her stutering in no way is a sign of ignorance -- she is a college educated, articulate individual, that customer service was horrible, etc. The store manager called me, said the employee would be fired, etc. I told him I would not want someone to lose their job over it -- on my request, the store implimented a new training session for empathy, customer service, etc.

Sorry to be so long winded -- just wanted to let you know that the store really should be aware this moron is driving away customers and he should be reprimanded. If he said that to you, god only knows what he might say to someone with a prosthetic leg, etc.

:hug::hug:

Apple Cheeks
07-18-2008, 12:37 AM
But, really what is so crazy about it... the shoes don't have boy or girl "cooties," and if the styles are nearly identical why not pick the shoe that actually fits

I agree: get the shoe that fits, regardless of whether it's labelled for men or women. BUT.....

I'd like to buy women's running shoes because they come in feminine colors and have designs on them that aren't available on men's shoes. For once in my life it would be nice to own a pair of pink and white running shoes, with some pink laces, like I see are available to women with smaller feet!

It really doesn't bother me that I have to wear men's running shoes. But, it does bother me that I can't get any that look flirty or feminine. Yes, I may be grunting and sweating like a wart hog, but I want to look fashionable while doing it! :D

chickybird
07-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Shelby's right--the store should be aware of what's going on. A while ago, I had an ordeal with Whole Foods store. I'm saying the name because I was impressed with how the management dealt with the problem employee.
I ordered a case soy pudding from them, because I live 30 miles from the store and didn't want to drive all the way there to get one dinky package of it when I could buy a whole case at a time. The store said it'd be no problem and it'd be in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I call and they forgot to order it. No big deal, accidents happen. I order it again and give them my info. 2 weeks later I call and ask to speak to the employee, who I'll call "Bob".
Bob leaves me on hold for 10 minutes, and then tells me he forgot to order it. I remind him that this is going to be the 3rd time I've had to order it. (Btw, my DH was listening to my phone call the whole time and swears I was totally sweet until the end.)
Bob says, "That's not my problem."
I ask to speak to a manager.
Bob says, "Well, I don't appreciate you trying to get me in trouble. I'm trying to help."
Bob hangs up on me.
I am seething at this point, and I'm ticked off. I call the store back, and DEMAND to speak to a store manager. The manager is on the phone in like 5 seconds. I explained the whole situation. I didn't even have to tell him the guy's name--he guessed it before I could!
The very sweet manager ordered my soy pudding superfast and when I drove the 30 miles to get it, he greeted me personally and gave me a 50% discount. While he was in the back getting my stuff, one of the dairy section employees told me that Bob was fired because of what he did. Apparently he'd been having attitude problems for a while and Whole Foods has a very strict customer service policy. The manager and other employees were very apologetic and sweet. I did thank them and I did tell them I'd been a Whole Foods shopper for years and this was the only problem I'd ever had with them. Complaining does help! When done nicely, it normally solves the problem. Some employees need to be disciplined. I worked in retail for years and yes, sometimes we're cranky. Still not an excuse for acting like a jerk!
:hug:

SoulBliss
07-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Complaining does help! When done nicely, it normally solves the problem. Some employees need to be disciplined. I worked in retail for years and yes, sometimes we're cranky. Still not an excuse for acting like a jerk!
:hug:

:yes:

kaplods
07-18-2008, 01:03 AM
I know what you mean about wanting feminine shoes, but not all of the men's New Balance (or other athletic shoes) are all that masculine (at least in my opinion). With the new "metrosexual" attitude, I've found some "men's" shoes that I thought were downright "sissy." Besides I've found a way to "fem-up" even the most boxy of athletic shoes (whether they're originally men's or women's shoes).

I replace the laces with something more feminine than the typical heavy duty white ones they come with. Often I can find the laces ready made, but I've even made them when I had to. It really changes the look. I've been planning on making a new pair of laces for a bright red pair of sketcher's that I bought (they were women's sizes, but I've seen very similar men's shoes in bright red, green and blue). I'm either going to try and find black or red lace laces, crochet them, or go to the Jo-Ann's and buy some cool lacing from the notions aisle (a little dip into fabric paint or hot glue to seal the ends).

I also plan on crocheting or sewing some lacy trim onto some plain white anklet sport socks to wear with them.

Another thing I want to do when my current New Balance shoes die, is buy a sold black pair of men's NB and buy appliques from Walmart or Jo-Ann's (you know in the sewing department, the appliques you buy to decorate clothes with). I'll use super glue or leather glue to glue the appliques onto the shoes over the existing logo. I was thinking something like large red or hot pink roses, and then buy or make laces to match.

KateRN
07-18-2008, 02:12 AM
size 10 to 11 !

kukristen
07-18-2008, 02:43 AM
oohhhhh honey, I wear an 11...

And a couple a years ago it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find ANY shoes... and I'd get crazy reactions from sales people too.

After a fruitless search for running shoes, I finally stumbled into a running store and they carried up to women's 14s! I actually needed a 12 because running shoes "run" a bit small... and for the first time, I was able to buy WOMEN's running shoes instead of mens... that actually FIT.

So, my advice is to follow the other folks' advice on here, and tell someone... and then "run" to your nearest running store.

PhotoChick
07-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Ok, I have to ask .. why were YOU embarassed because some moron of a clerk was an *** to you?

We ... so many of us women ... have got to get past this response of getting upset, embarassed, and crying when someone else is a complete and utter jerk.

You have no reason to be embarassed and every reason to call and write to the management of the store and report this guy. In fact, I would have gotten in his face right then and there ... stopping him and saying "I"m sorry? What did you say to me? Where's your manager. I want to talk to him right now!!!"

It's time to stand up and stop being an emotional doormat for an abusive stranger.

midwife
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I wear a size 10 usually. I have bought running shoes in 11. My DD's running shoes are size 11. We buy our running shoes at a small locally owned store run by knowledgeable runners who videotape people running so they can analyze the gait and help choose the right shoe. I am so picky now that I will never buy running shoes anywhere else. The fit is the most important thing. The owner of the store knows us by name and remembers our sizes. The *only* vibe I have ever gotten from them is how important it is to get the right shoe so we don't injure ourselves.

That guy was a jerk, Caroline. I would be seething and his superviser would absolutely know about it.

When I was a kid I was sensitive about my shoe sizes. But now I know that at my height, my feet are perfect for me!

LisaMarie71
07-18-2008, 10:31 AM
I actually think that guy was a manager though..

That's why you should try to figure out how to contact the district manager or corporate. From my limited experience in retail, it seems like all the people who work at one location can get close and not really care what the customers say and kind of laugh things off, but the district manager will be very concerned with sales of that location and will take your complaint seriously. I wouldn't limit my complaint just to that store location, because if you do there's a very good chance there will be no repercussions for that rude employee.

KLK
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Jeez... who the **** does that guy think he is? :hug: what an @sshole!

I wear size 8 1/2, but before I lost weight I was a size 9 1/2 WIDE -- 9 1/2 might not necessarily be hard to find, but wide sizes are impossible, so I understand your frustration. And I understand your frustration about "constantly having to defend to size of your body" too. Ugh.

That sales guy was totally, 100% out of line, even if he was sincerely just trying to be funny.

purpleorc
07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I wear a size 8 British shoe which I think translates to a size 9 US shoe. I know how people can sometimes open their mouths before their brain is in action. I have had rather large feet since I was around 11 years old but there again I am rather tall so I see that as being as in proportion to my body size. So I have had many comments over the years especially when I was younger and there was very little in that size. Though now as people have grown with each generation due to better diet there is now a nice choice in my size and not looked upon as an alien for having slightly bigger feet.

So chin up you will always be beautiful and he will always be an idiot!

dcapulet
07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
i wear a size 11, and i can hardly find anything cute and comfortable in my size.

dcapulet
07-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Lisa, that's totally true. As a former retail manager, DM's care very much about incidents like that. I've had managers fired over less.

That's why you should try to figure out how to contact the district manager or corporate. From my limited experience in retail, it seems like all the people who work at one location can get close and not really care what the customers say and kind of laugh things off, but the district manager will be very concerned with sales of that location and will take your complaint seriously. I wouldn't limit my complaint just to that store location, because if you do there's a very good chance there will be no repercussions for that rude employee.

just keep swimming
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I wear a size 9 1/2 to 10 and my family teases me about my big feet, but I'm tall so they kind of make sense... And I don't mind my family teasing me, but a salesperson certainly shouldn't!

Especially one who is trying to SELL YOU SHOES. What an idiot.

I have the opposite problem, teeny tiny feet. Like, I can wear girls' sizes. Now that I'm losing weight, they look a little less awkward, but it used to look like I was going to topple over, especially when I used to do ballet... Oh, the dreaded leotard and tiny feet! :lol:

Tomato
07-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I would not have left the store without voicing my complaint to the manager first. If the idiot that you spoke to was the manager, then I would have asked for contact info for his regional manager or whoever he reports to. I repeat, I would NOT have left. There is absolutely no excuse for how he treated you.

I wear size 9.5 (usually) but because I have wide feet, I often buy size 10.

Besides, I would rather have big feet than a dick the size of a peanut.

BrandNewJen
07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I wear size 9.5 (usually) but because I have wide feet, I often buy size 10.

Besides, I would rather have big feet than a d**k the size of a peanut.

BWAHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH :rofl:

nelie
07-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I had a friend who had size 13 shoes. She could only buy her shoes at Payless. I had size 11 shoes for years until I lost weight and now I'm a 9-9.5. I was so happy once I got to size 10 because that meant that I could wear shoes in a regular store. I still have wide feet so it is still difficult to buy shoes but it is good.

Did the guy even check to see if he had 10s? I like buying shoes from Sports Authority because I can see what they have without having to ask.

djay
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I wear a size 9.5 or 10. I used to think that I had big feet. Then My daughter turned out to have size 11.5. The thing is, most of her friends wear 9-11. With the advancements in nutrition, people are taller and their feet are bigger. Some stores, especially department stores and evidentlly some idiotic shoe salesmen just haven't paid attention!

EZMONEY
07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
From the looks of shoe size here, maybe we should start a...

3 BIG FOOT CHICKS

site.....;)

kidding...I'm kidding...

Sweetcaroline
07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
OK... I am totally laughing out loud. Thank you Gary... Not a bad idea, omgh I can't stop laughing... Can I moderate ?

EZMONEY
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
love the new avatar SWEET-C!

Jonsgurl0531
07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
My mom and sis are 9 1/2- 10s and my gram is a 13!... They have never had a problem finding anything..

I on the other hand have SQUARE feet lol.. 5 1/2 and WIDE.. I had a hard time finding anything in girls.. expecially boots and dress shoes so I feel for yah :(:( I always get guy running shoes though. I guess if you have a small size they assume you have skinny feet. They are pretty bony too.. so they arent fat.. just wide

vixjean
07-19-2008, 02:04 AM
I have little feet because I am a shorty, but they are triple wide! I forget how wide. I went into a family owned shoe store and was very happy with the shoes I got and the service. They even had to widen a pair for me.
I have got so overlooked at some of the nicer department stores when I went in for shoes before. I was really happy (and shocked) with the service I received at the family owned store that we went to.

SunshineCA
07-19-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm between a size 9 - 10. It all depends on the shoe. There have been times when an 11 will fit better. Go figure! :spin:

ScarletDarcy
07-20-2008, 05:37 AM
:devil:i would also complain to manager of shop if everyone complained about the attitude of these cretins then something might be done about them
i take a size 6 (english)

snapless
07-20-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd contact the store headquarters and file a formal complaint. That was extremely rude and should not be tolerated. You did NOT deserve that.

GR8 2B48
07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I have worn a 9 for years. Now it's between an 8 and 9, but I also thought that 10's were a popular size.

That salesman was really rude. Other than reporting him, don't give him a second thought. He was probably having a rough day and looking for someone to take it out on.

Cheer up.

Sassy_Chick
08-21-2008, 03:52 AM
My depends on the shoe, so I have to always try on the shoes. I have very wide feet and a high instep. Mine usually range from an 8 - 9.5.

My DH wears a size 18 EEE and I get his shoes from footlocker online, they have the best selection, I think.

I agree, I would complain, that is ridiculous!

150reasons
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I wear a size 11. Most of the time I buy men's shoes just because they fit more comfortably. Now I have been accused of being a sharp tongued shrew when the moment calls for it, and I think I would left that salesman with a remark that would leave his ears and manhood burning for weeks. Then I would call the manager. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of treatment.

grneyedmustang
08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I guess he would have recommended some 2' X 4's for me, because I wear a 12. But people always tell me I wouldn't look right with little feet because I'm so tall! And I would LOVE to wear a size ten shoe. Or jeans for that matter. ;)

And to the person who has a friend who wears a 13, I feel her pain. I used to wear a 13 and could only shop at Payless also. More and more shoemakers are realizing though, that there are people who have plus size feet. And Men's New Balance are the best! I'd love to have some black ones with pink trim though. :yikes:

To the OP, what store was this?

and ya'll can sign me up for the "3 big foot chicks" site...

BellaLucia
08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I wear a size 12, how about them apples?

carinna
08-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Dear Lord, what a HORRIBLE person he was! I haven't read the other responses yet, but I hope someone advised you to speak to the store manager. I wouldn't stop until that jerk was fired if that was me. :mad:

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let his ignorance get to you. Some people are just so unhappy with themselves that they have to make it a personal goal to destroy everyone else around them. Don't let him have that kind of power. :hug:

BellaLucia
08-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Lady Pantsalot
08-21-2008, 07:43 PM
You might find that the guy's name is Al Bundy... ;) Utter twat! Do make a complaint if you haven't already.

pixiefalls
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I wear a size 10 aswell. I haven't had anyone really comment on how big my feet are since I was in Jr. high school. (I've been the same height/shoe size since I was 12!) I'm just fine with my feet. They are what God gave me and so be it.. I'd look silly with small feet! XD

That's horrible what he said, though:mad:. I would have asked for the manager! And I agree with Lady Pantsalot.. do make a complaint about him. It just may teach him something! :hug:

Kofarq
08-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I take a size seven, but a size eight fits me so nice, I buy a size nine!!
*I stole that from Dolly Parton's character in Steel Magnolias.*

Ufi
08-22-2008, 01:32 AM
I have a different suggestion than most: Go back to the store, approach the employee and calmly ask for an apology for his inappropriate remarks and not helping you by suggesting a men's size. If you don't get one, then go to management, either locally or at the corporate level. But give the guy a chance to learn a lesson himself, without losing his job.

I had something happen recently that gave me pause. Someone was quite rude to me, and I went back to my group outraged at what happened. I told the story, and an older and wiser member of the group pointed out that a man his age probably didn't grow up dreaming of having a low-level job and was probably frustrated and wanting to feel powerful. She said she was going to make it a point to be nice to him as we saw him more over the course of a few days. By the end of the time, he was smiling and chatting.

Maybe he thought he was being funny and didn't realize he was being offensive. Some people are socially impaired.

soure1sl
08-22-2008, 01:42 AM

me too :)

missygith
08-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I hate to play devils advocate, but here it goes. I didnt get the insult. I had to reread it a couple of times. Is it possible that he was saying boxes was all they had, they had no shoes, sorry, all thats left is the boxes. We sold all the shoes, all we have left are the boxes, they never keep us stocked.
I dunno, I just didnt see it, Im so sorry. I wear 10's and I've never been insulted over the size of my feet. I know I wasnt there...
Whatever it was, dont dwell too hard, look at how much time this man has cost us! 0

Steelslady
08-22-2008, 02:00 AM
*sigh* You should have taken your size 10 foot and shoved it up his tush. Then, smiled sweetly and said "this box is too big for my size 10 foot! Got anything smaller?" What a jerk he is- please report him so he doesn't humiliate someone like that again. :hug: to you.

I'm size 11 myself and I have a devil of a time finding shoes or sneakers that fit.