Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Default New Pain in Hip and Shin After Running

I'm no stranger to working out, having been in a gym for a few years, though the last 7-months I have doubled the time I spend working out

I've really got into running the last 4-months or so. I do over-pronate on my right foot/leg and have noticed issues from this at first, but since changing to a good running shoe 2-months ago, all was fine - until now.

Last week I did my normal Saturday spinning class then I ran a mile. After climbing off the treadmil, I could barely walk! My right leg hurt SO BAD - not when I put weight on it, but when I lefted my leg up to step. It hurt the entire weekend and continued for a few days, gradually getting better each day.

After feeling crazy for not getting in my runs, I ran yesterday, only to have my hip ache for the remainder of the day and this morning. I have a spinning class in a hour and I don't want to stop with my cardio but I don't want to injure myself.

Is this a common occurance in running?
prettycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

This exact thing has happened to me a few times. My mom's personal trainer says it could be from still breaking in new running shoes or just landing too hard when you run on a treadmill because when you land the treadmill pushes back or something. After experiencing the worst shin splints EVER he told me to take 2 weeks off running and stick to ellipticals and biking. When I finally couldn't take it anymore after a couple weeks I began jogging outside. It's been a couple weeks now since I started again, same shoes and everything and I haven't had any problems.
But, I do suggest that if its hurting you, lay off for awhile even if it drives you mad. Its better to get your cardio by not running then to keep running until you can't do cardio at all!

Good Luck!

P.s. Try using one of those foam rollers at the gym for your hip. Any trainer will show you how to use it. It breaks up all the knocks in your muscles and hurts really really really bad, but its good for you.
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #3  

Thank you tater! I'm gonna lay off running for another week and work on my stretches. I'm bad about stretching and I know that really contributes to my problem.

Another running forum suggested I also try heel inserts for the shin splints. Gonna invest in some of those too Anything to stop the pain and get my body back in motion! I'm so afraid to lose momentum!!!!!!

I did try those white rollers - ONCE. HURT LIKE H$LL!!!!!!!! OMG!! I haven't messed with them since since it felt like a form of torture and I thought that we're not supposed to hurt ourselves at the gym :P

Maybe I'll try it ONE MORE TIME.

Is there something I can use as home? I kinda feel like an idiot rolling on the floor with one of those foam things, screaming like a wuss....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #4  
=D

Hey, prettycitygirl -
I have similar problems, including knee problems, because i also over pronate with my right leg. My physiotherapist gave me a small wedge to put in my shoe that supinates my foot slightly. I've found that since I began using it, I have less troubles with my knee - maybe you should look into getting something like that? Or even another form of insert for your shoes that increases stability through your feet.
Good luck =]
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Had you ramped up your running mileage significantly (too quickly)? That could also be a contributing factor.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #6  

Thanks for the tip, Mazza! I was planning on trying a heel insert after reading about another runner's issue on the the runners world forum. I'm gonna pick-up a pair this weekend for sure! THANKS

MBN, I have not ramped up my mileage - just my speed. My endurance is through the roof (thanks spinning!) but I am still slower than most runners. I do a 9-minute mile before and afer spinning class. 5-months ago, I strolled at 15-minutes per miles. I'm getting faster and stronger

I use running to get the blood flowing and to get my heart rate up as part of my warm-up before I move on to my reisitance exercises.

I run pre-resistance and weights, except for days I spin. On those days I run before AND after spinning. I have SO MUCH ENERGY after spinning that I HAVE to run! I grab that extra mile after class because it feels so easy.

Running has made a huge impact on my overall endurance and cardio health. I feel unproductive in the gym when I don't run. I can't wait to get back on track!

Last edited by prettycitygirl; 07-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Have you had any bodywork done? I've been battling shin splints and calf pain from running. I finally went for a massage yesterday and I can't get over the difference in my body since then. She worked through tons of crap in my calf, my hamstrings, and my shoulder blade area and now I'm actually walking properly for the first time in weeks. I had no idea how much the pain and tightness was throwing everything else off and making things tighter and tighter each run.

Good luck getting things sorted out!!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote