Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #1  
Aussie Chick

Default Advice on exercise for AUTOIMMUNE ARTHRITIS please!

Hi there

I have not visited this site for around 4 years, but that time has come around again to battle with the weight. This time though things have changed which are making it much harder.

Iv 'e recently been diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy. For those unnaware, this is an auto immune disease, which causes arthritis in the spine and sacroiliac joints (among a list of other symptoms). It can also affect the ribcage (known as costochondritis). This condition usually progresses into Anklyosing Spondylitis where the spine becomes fused together.

My symptoms started 4 years back, but it wasn't known then I had this condition. I use to go to the gym twice a week (4 hrs total) and eventually stopped after a year as I could hardly walk and the pain was unbearable. This has affected my lifestyle to an extent, the only true temporary relief coming from past corticosteroid injections.

None of the meds I'm currently on are improving the condition, even the injections have stopped working. I have had years of physio which didn't help. I have been prescribed pilates as a treatment, and that too has not made much difference. My sports physician has tested my range of movement in certain exercises, and i am at around 30%, where most healthy individuals are at around 70%. I was always very active as a teen, spending many hours doing dancing and playing sports, but there is no way i could even do half of the dancing moves i use to be able to do back then.

So what exercises could be suggested that I may be able to do for this condition? I cannot do any swimming or hydrotherapy at this stage due to skin problems this condition causes, so really what else is there to do besides pilates? I use to do weights at the gym and have been told I also cannot do that at this time. Just walking alone hurts! I was thinking of buying a rowing machine, but im unsure how the repetative knee action would affect my sacroiliac joints. Alot of the pilates exercises I am doing are modified, so as to not put down any weight onto the SI joints.

Also what would a recommended calorie intake be for me now? I am currently 90kg (198pounds) the biggest i have been, and I would like to get back down to say 65kg (143 pounds). My ideal lowest weight I've been is 57kg(125 pounds) and I feel most healthy at this weight (im 5'5 tall). Before when I was at the gym doing 4 hrs exercise week, I had 1600cals a day and lost around 1.5pounds per week. Atm I am spending 2 hrs of pilates per week, spread over 7 days, but it is a muscle retraining program that I'm not gonna lose any weight from (at least i dont think so since it's mainly stretching exercises). Should I have 1200 cals a day, or even go down as low as 1000, given how inactive i am?

I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone else has this condition, or something similar and what meds or exercises have helped you!

Thanks for listening,

Cheers.

Last edited by flutter; 07-17-2008 at 03:01 AM.
flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #2  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Only a possible suggestion

Wow, this is challenging. I am certainly no expert at this, but I would think that exercises that dont require much spine action would work. So, as you way, rowing and perhaps stationary bike...on a recumbant where you just sit, would be too good ways of burning calories and getting cardio exercise in. A bike and/or rowing machine that allows you to gradually build in resistance would be great!

Good luck with it! Big credit to you to keep working on this...even though it is very tough.
shrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 199lbs/191lbs/135

Height: 5ft 4in

I agree with shrinkin. Biking and rowing maybe a good start. The also have senior work outs that is easy on the joints and back. Maybe you should talk with your Doctor. They should have some exercises that should fit you with out hurting you. Or they may have some names of professionals that could help you find the exercises and diet that will be healthy and beneficial to you. But thats just my opinion.
Mechele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #4  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Default Get Professional Advice

Since this affects the spine and the sacroilliac joints, I am not even sure that biking or rowing are okay. With a condition as severe as yours, I think you should be asking professionals in rehabilitation or physiotherapy. Do you have access to and the funds to consult such professionals? I am going to assume you are under the care of a rheumatologist? Ask them for a referral to the proper personnel to assist you with this.

My current gym has a huge number of people of all ages with challenges, and very competent professionals. They even have some of the machines that are used in rehab at the hospital. What is the training of the personnel at the gym you are thinking of using? Is there a choice of gyms in your area..would looking around and meeting with them first be of benefit to you? If you do go to the gym, after consulting with a rehab or physical therapist, I would bring their recommendations and say that you would like to hear how this gym thinks it can help you meet those requirements. I would enquire as to the training of their personnel. Does your membership include supervised training at the beginning with regular followups for evaluation and modification to your program. I would also ask for one session to try it out before you have to pay for anything to see how it works for you. You don't want to be stuck with an expensive membership you cannot use. If they are reluctant to do this, I would find another gym if possible. I am very fortunate in that my gym gives prospective members THREE supervised sessions to set up and adjust the initial program..and even four if you need it. Only then do you sign up or you can walk away. ALso I would ask that if you do have to have say twelve months paid program, if your illness flares up and you are unable to use your membership, are you able to put it on hold until such time that you can use the facility again. It is at that point you will know if this gym is in the business of helping people or just hoping to make money from the people who sign up and then can't or don't use it.

I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic back and neck injuries from a car accident, and have had six abdominal surgeries..so I have learned how to "interview" a gym LOL.

I am impressed that you continue to find ways to increase your health. The good news is, but my conditions are different from yours but I wish you the same results, working out has saved me..reduced pain, increased my feeling of being able..not disabled! GOOD LUCK and Big Hug..gently though, don't want to hug anything sore
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote