PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185

Height: 5'4''

Red face Aha! maybe all the info is coming together - finally

Hi
I had written that i was going to get tested for IR because i have a strong suspicion that's my "bugaboo" in this battle. And then i happened to read the info on POCS and realized IR can be part of PCOS. Haven't got time off work to go to the doc about tests for IR and now i have some other tests for her to do for PCOS. My symtoms are relatively minor but so many of them have been there over the years.

I've had those extra little hairs to tweeze on my chin for years.
Miscarried 4 times...... so thankful i have my son now... my miracle.
Almost impossible to lose weight.....or when i do, it's not when i'm trying and when i try i can't seem to....most of the time.
Had a cyst.....didn't appear to be there the last time they did an ultrasound.
A few skin tags i've had removed.
Suspect IR because of difficulty losing weight.
Low thyroid function
Higher cholesterol
Border line high bp......can't get it down even with diet and exercise
There are probably other things i can't remember now......

Ok......have to get to the doc and get this figured out. I wonder what she'll say when i present the idea. She was lost as to how to explain why i can't seem to lose weight after having a crying fit in her office over it.

Thanks for the info you offer and the your personal experiences. xxx

LauraNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Hey Laura. Getting tested for IR is definitely a good thing - having a positive diagnosis for something can be such a RELIEF. I, like you, have relatively minor symptoms - mainly those few stray hairs on my chin, difficulty losing weight, and high BP (I haven't gotten pregnant yet, but if/when I do I will not be surprised by miscarriages...). I had a metabolic blood panel done a few weeks ago, but the odd thing is that the results came back within "normal" range. From what I have read this does not necessarily mean I am or am not insulin resistant. Despite my insulin and glucose being in the normal range at the time of the fasting test apparently the more accurate way to tell is by doing that 2-hour glucose test (which I think only teaching hospitals do..I don't think Kaiser does on a regular basis). I was put on Metformin anyway because of all the good benefits with or without IR. I just started Met last night and so far so good despite a bit of gassy stomach. Are you being treated with any drugs at this point? Do know that PCOS is treatable and reversible without any drugs, and can be controlled just with diet and exercise (and extreme lifestyle changes) but if it turns out you do have IR, Metformin could really be what would help you take off the extra pounds (combined with good diet & exercise). Based on what you wrote with your symptoms (and I am NO DOCTOR...) it sounds likely that you could have PCOS - the thing about this disease is that it is so variable in the severity of symptoms. I was in denial for five or so years because my birth control pill was masking most of the symptoms, and my noticeable symptoms were "light" to begin with. Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by snoozlebug; 07-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Hi Laura,

It definitely sounds like that's what you have. I hope you get the correct answers you are looking for, because once you know, you can start fixing it. Good luck!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

So do you ladies think that Insulite will help even if you're not IR? I am not IR according to my test results...

Like Laura, my results came back in normal range. I have been diagnosed with PCOS, have High Blood Pressure, good cholesterol a little low, bad cholesterol a little high, have irregular periods, a forest under and around my chin, skin tags, velvety patches at one point but they've subsided.

I take Aygestine for 10 days to induce my cycle every other month. During the 10 days, I notice the hair under my chin doesn't grow as fast. It also comes in a little less course. I always lose a few pounds around my cycle which I love and my appetite is cut down substancially.

Laura, did you have PCOS during your 1st pregnancy? Did you experience any complications as a result of PCOS during the pregnancy? I am curious as I want to have a baby but am terrified of the risk of pre-clampsia, etc.
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185

Height: 5'4''

Red face thanks

I don't want to go on drugs so will talk about that with my naturopath. I don't think diet and exercise can help me at this point because i've already made an extreme change in my lifestyle . I'm meticulous about my food intake and i exercise alot. I don't use butter, cheese maybe 2x a month, no pop, no juice......it's salads, veggies, fruit, cottage cheese, egg whites, protein. I don't have any enjoyment out of eating anymore......it's just something i do because i have to. Maybe i will need to take some drug to jump start things......but i sure don't want to take it very long. I'll take all the info you've given me with me to the doc.

I lose a bit of weight from time to time......but it's nothing i seem to control and then i bounce around the same 3-5 pounds over and over again.

Let me know how you react to the Metaformin.

I had a great pregnancy except for i got high blood pressure and was in the hospital for 6 weeks before my son was born. No symptoms at all though.

OH......add hair loss to my list. THANK god i had such thick hair......but the hair loss is still ongoing, sooooooo we'll see what happens there.

Yah....it would be good to know at least that this is what i have...then i wouldn't beat myself up so much about not being able to lose weight like other people.

Keep me posted how it's going with you please....i'd like to hear further.

Laura

Current weight: 181.5
LauraNS is offline   Reply With Quote