Exercise! - Menstrual Cramps worsen after exercise?

CTripp924
07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
I just started doing Turbo Jam yesterday. This morning when I woke up I had very very slight premenstrual cramps and I always heard that working out can help. Anyway I'm determined to do the TJ 10 day challenge so I went ahead and did the 20 minute workout.
Almost immediatly afterwards, while getting some water, my cramps came back so bad I couldn't stand up straight. I tried walking them off but I kept doubling over in pain. I took 2 pain killers, drank some water. Called my husband. Then I ate a banana and took a shower. Seems to be okay now but I didn't know if any of you had a similar experience? I do have an IUD inserted so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

bluemommy
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
for me, exercise make mine better. i hope you feel better soon.

Mrs Snark
07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Usually mild exercise helps mine, I'm sorry yours came back with such ferocity. That's a bummer, but we are all different.

PhotoChick
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, yesterday and today is not really a long enough time to change things up. :)

I have found that my cramps are *much* less bothersome when I'm eating right and exercising, over the long haul.

A bit of moderate exercise will also help alleviate whatever cramps I do have at the time I'm exercising, but as soon as my heart rate is down a bit, they do come back.

(keeping in mind that I used to have the kind of cramps that put me in bed and made me not be able to eat anything ... so having any that are bearable is a huge improvement for me! :) )

Apple Cheeks
07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I've never had that problem. Quite the opposite, actually: since I started working out regularly and eating right, my cramps have virtually disappeared.

I still get them, but they are so minor as to just be an annoyance, and I don't even need to take anything for the pain anymore. :D

To illustrate how big a deal that is for me: I used to get menstrual cramps so severe that I could oftentimes barely function. As I've posted before, I would literally have to take 4 ibuprofen every few hours just so I could get through the day. Otherwise, I would be reduced to a miserable, quivering mess curled into a fetal position all day. :(

That being said, I'm not sure why exercising would make your cramps come on so fiercly. Maybe you should schedule an appointment with your ob/gyn just to make sure there are no problems with your IUD. :?: