LA Weight Loss - personal experience with Bodybugg/Sensewear

Pages : [1] 2

kuhljeanie
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM
hi all! not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i've gotten a lot of questions about it and thought it might save some headache to copy a post i'd made in response to questions about these monitors. i don't work for either of these companies (wish i did, it might have been cheaper:)) but for me personally, it's been a great thing to have. (i use some Beck phrases because i originally posted this on the Beck board - "no choice" is a Beck tool and the teeth brushing thing gets discussed there as well.)

there are two companies that i know of that sell them: sensewear (also called body media) and bodybugg. it's exactly the same technology, but sensewear is the group that developed it. they've already released the 3rd version - bodybugg is releasing theirs in the fall. that's why bodybuggs are cheaper right now; they're trying to clear out the old inventory. you can buy them from 24hourfitness.com, or the sensewear one from www.sensewear.com. the new version is smaller and lighter - less noticeable under clothes. this was important to me when i first started wearing it, but i don't really care anymore. if people notice it and ask what it's for, i just tell them it's a calorie monitor, and usually they want to know where to get one too. they only notice it though when i'm wearing short sleeves and you can actually see it. otherwise, it's hard to tell i've got it on.

it's wonderful, fabulous, really does what heartrate monitors or pedometers try to do, but not as well. (it also functions as a pedometer, in case you're tracking that too.) i'm 100% accountable when it comes to movement and exercise, and it shows in how i've changed my thinking. i don't even think NO CHOICE about working out (most of the time, anyway.) it's gotten a lot more like teeth brushing. it's like letting the air out of the tires in terms of internal dialogue - it's just part of my day. it's also made me a lot more aware of how much sleep i am or am not getting, and i'm a lot more conscientious about getting to bed earlier. still have to work on being overscheduled to make that more automatic, but it's step #2 in the process.

the website has also been a really good tool for meal planning and logging. if i do my meal planning carefully and realistically, when it's time to log my meal, i just click a single button ("I ate my meal plan") and i'm done. so now i'm working on making it possible to just click that button more often.

the monitor was expensive, but it's the first thing to really make a difference (over the course of months) in getting me accountable. i spent about $450 on it, which included the armband, the monitor, and 6 months of the website. my subscription is up in a month or two and i will ABSOLUTELY renew. the ability to create reports, export data, and see how my intake stacks up against my burn over time is incredibly helpful. it also helped me get religion about tracking my calories. i used to use Fitday, but i was never sure about the exercise calories so subsequently i didn't trust what it told me i should be eating/losing.

net net, wearing the monitor has made it easier to figure out how much i should realistically be eating. before, i tried a couple of diets that made me miserable, simply because most calculators grossly underestimate my metabolic rate. i wouldn't have known that without my monitor. when i was on the 6 week body makeover, i was ravenously hungry almost 24-7. the support person i IM'd told me it was because i had stretched out my stomach through overeating, wasn't drinking enough water, hadn't given it enough time, yada yada yada. i gave up on that (and three or four other perfectly good plans) because i wasn't getting enough food and it was too hard to be hungry all the time. i'm still trying to figure out what the right amount is to eat and still lose weight, but it's 100 times easier now i know more about my body.

if anyone still has questions, or wants to see a sample report, let me know!

Michelle125
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Omg, thanks for posting this! I'm really going back and forth between getting one/not getting one. I really WANT one, but I'm considering the price. But then again, my pitfall is always me not benig held accountable... me not counting calories on weekend nights out. I mean, I'm sure it's worth it. I would love to see any samples you have to show us!

kuhljeanie
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
sure thing! i just printed up a report for the last 7 days so you can see what it really looks like. hope that helps! the enormous bump in activity on saturday was my 6 mile run (i'm training for my 3rd 1/2 marathon.) let me know if you have any questions.

happy2bme
07-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you so much for posting this, including the sample report. This is REALLY good information as well as a believable review. It's the most information I've seen on them to date. Definitely something to consider...

I can totally understand how it would motivate you to move more, eat less and even get that all important sleep!

Good luck with your program.

ddc
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, that is so cool :cool:

Thanks for posting--especially the link to your report.

Very interesting :carrot:

fiberlover
07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I want one!!!

Thanks for posting this :)

kuhljeanie
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
y'all welcome! :) glad the information was helpful. for what it's worth, IRS guidelines allow HSA funds to be used to purchase them if a doctor signs off on it being part of treatment for obesity and weight-related health issues.

from http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#d0e2229

Weight-Loss Program
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group and attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

these monitors are often used by doctors post-WLS; and as part of bariatric clinic treatments, so it's worth looking into if you can use as HSA account to help pay for it (assuming your doctor doesn't use them.)

cheers!

ggmugsy
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Would you mind explaining to me how this is different from wearing a Polar monitor 24 hours a day? Does it calculate calories burned differently?

kuhljeanie
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
sure! a bodybugg or sensewear monitors four factors to determine how many calories you're burning: (and this is from the website, because i'm not as up on my physics and biochemistry as i used to be:)) 1) skin temperature, 2) galvanic skin response (skin impedence, which reflects water content of the skin and striction or dilation of the vascular periphery) 3) accelerometer for movement and 4) heat flux (the rate as which heat dissipates from the body). all these together are run through some complex mathmatical algorithms and correlated with each other, and that tells the monitor exactly what you're doing. it can differentiate between lying down and sleeping, between running and being on an elliptical, etc. there have been some problems reported in the past with biking but i think they worked that out. i can look at my activity summary for a day and see exactly when i got up from my desk to go to the bathroom. i can tell if i'm waking up a lot at night, even if i don't remember it in the morning. body composition doesn't affect it and neither does weight.

in contrast, the HR monitor takes your heartrate, compares it with your weight and age and gives a standard calorie burn. it's a little better than what you get from a machine, but not much. it's not nearly as sensitive, either. my heart rate will go up if i walk up a flight of stairs, but will also go up if i smoke a cigarette. the polar can't tell the difference. same goes for a pedometer - it tracks how much i'm moving, which could tell me how active i am, but sometimes not. if i'm riding a train, every bounce looks like a step to a pedometer.

long story short - the sensewear/bodybugg folks claim accuracy within 8% for burning calories, and the HR folks won't claim that it's anything more than an estimate at best.

blueyedlvrgirl
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
WOW! That was a lot of info! Thank you! I have a question...Do you have the wristband that you can read the current counts on? Also, if you are wearing it and part of the way through the day, you want to check on how many calories you have burned, how hard is it to get that information? I am asking because before I leave work I would like to check my numbers before hitting the gym. Is there a time breakdown so it would be easy to determine how many calories were burned during a specific time period? Do you think the wristband/watch thing is worth the money or is it easy to retreive the information whenever you need it? Have you ever used a HRM? If so, do the calories counts seem to be similar?

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions!

ggmugsy
07-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Ahhhhh . . . very enlightening! Thank you so much kuhljeanie!!

YOU ROCK!!

kuhljeanie
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
sure, blueyedlvrgirl - i do have one, and checking calories burned is like checking the time. there are a couple of buttons on the top part that toggle around to show you current calories burned (it resets to 0 at midnight), steps, activity time (goes back and forth between moderate and vigorous - moderate is 3-6 cals a minute, vigorous is over 6, but you can change that on the website), and time (i.e. it's also my watch. :)) there are buttons on the bottom so you can see all that stuff for the day before, and it's got a trip setting (like a car odometer) that you can reset. i do that when i start my run, just to get an idea of how many calories i burned during that particular workout. the cal burn for the trip thing isn't quite right - i think it averages for that period or something - but seeing what you've burned for the current day is super easy, as easy as checking your watch for the time. yep, i've had hr monitors. my first one was a cheapie from target that i wore until it fell apart, so my second one was a nice polar model that calculated calories. i've not worn both at the same time to compare, so i'm not sure how big a difference it would be (on me, anyway) or compared different activities (like the elliptical v. sleeping.) to be honest, once i got my sensewear monitor, the polar HR and pedometer (a nice one too - can't remember the brand) have been lonely in a drawer. i'm kind of a gadget whore - love my electronics! wish the iphone could display java so i could upload my armband to that. :)

just for clarification, i have a sensewear, not a bodybugg, so i don't know how the bodybugg monitor works, but i'm guessing it's pretty similar. if you don't get the monitor, you can check your progress by uploading the armband and looking at the summary on the website. it's kind of fun looking at the screen and trying to remember what i was doing that spiked my metabolism. i'll attach an example, so you can see. the big bump in the morning was my long run for the week (i don't ordinarily burn 3000 calories a day. wish i did!)

again, let me know if you have more questions. it's probably a good idea to put it all here so anyone who's interested can read it.

you're welcome ggmugsy! :)

blueyedlvrgirl
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information that you have presented here. It helped me in my decision. I bought one! Hopefully as I start to use it, I will be able to help others out with info, like you did for me. It will be interesting to do the same workouts I have done with my Polar and compare the calorie counts between them. I didn't get the display, I am waiting to see how much I really need it. It may be hard getting used to not being able to check my wrist for updates, like with the Polar, but there is a lot of anticipation involved in waiting. I want to work as hard as possible so I can see good results tonight when I upload.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Fat Chick B Gone
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much for this! I've been trying to determine if it's worth the money or not and reviews such as this really help!

Now - do you think if you tracked your food/calories/deficit on your own you'd have had as much success? I guess what I'm asking is if it's the program or if it's the accoutability?

pintobean
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes thank you very much for this detailed information. The sample reports also helped a lot to visualize. Currently I have a Polar F6 HRM.

From what I understand you have to enter in sensewear what you eat throughout the day, correct? Now it's easy to enter say if you had a cup of grapefruit...but if you had something more complicated - for example, any recipe with bunch of ingredients...how did you manage that? Does it come with its own specific list or you can add stuff? How does it calculate calories if it's not part of the list? Or you do you enter calories?

kuhljeanie
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
hmm...fatchickbgone, interesting question. i used fitday before, and somehow it just didn't "take" as well. not sure why, but i'm guessing the biofeedback part really puts the A in accountability. (or something like that.)

blueyedlvrgirl, can't wait to hear what you think! let me know when it shows up and how it works!

pintobean, the food log works just like the other ones - if you eat something that's not in their database (like tinkyada rice pasta or something) you can enter it with a nutrition label, and you can also build recipes using their foods and/or items you enter. i've found that it's a really good database for chain and restaurant stuff, and they've got a lot of brands for grocery store items (which i'm trying to buy less of.) if you eat the same thing every day, for breakfast, say, you can enter it into the meal plan for the days you usually eat it, and then when logging your food you can just click "I ate my meal plan" and that's that. if i get time, i'll edit this post with screen shots.

hope that helps!

onthetee
07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information that you have presented here. It helped me in my decision. I bought one! Hopefully as I start to use it, I will be able to help others out with info, like you did for me. It will be interesting to do the same workouts I have done with my Polar and compare the calorie counts between them. I didn't get the display, I am waiting to see how much I really need it. It may be hard getting used to not being able to check my wrist for updates, like with the Polar, but there is a lot of anticipation involved in waiting. I want to work as hard as possible so I can see good results tonight when I upload.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Subbing...

The thing I liked about bodybugg was that you didn't have to log your food cals...it would read it for you.

ndnguy85
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
i have a question. when does the "day" start..? is it when you wake up?

is there a way around the online subscription for the body bugg? i really dont care for all the charts and graphs..because i just need a number at the end of the day saying this is what i burned. i read somewhere you can just get the wrist watch..but i am not quite sure how it works by itself.

Fat Chick B Gone
07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Subbing...

The thing I liked about bodybugg was that you didn't have to log your food cals...it would read it for you.

It read the food you ate? As in I could either eat an apple or a huge plate of spaghetti and it would know?

ndnguy85
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
It read the food you ate? As in I could either eat an apple or a huge plate of spaghetti and it would know?

thats wrong information. you have to log it yourself..otherwise the entire country would get one..imagine if you knew the in and out..

onthetee
07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
The bodybugg video says:

Don't like to log your food?

boddybugg can tell you how much you ate based on your body's changes See it here:

http://www.bodybugg.com/index.php

ndnguy85
07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
i think that's a tricky statement. they never say how they track the changes. my guess is weight. if everyday you entered in your weight and bodybugg knew how much calories you burned..it wouldnt be that hard to figure out what you have been consuming..

ndnguy85
07-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Does the bodybugg® armband track what I eat?
No, the armband itself tracks the calories you burn, but not the calories you eat. Your calories consumed are calculated by the bodybugg® interface based on your weekly body mass change. To better stay on track of your calorie input, the program also offers an easy-to-use food log so you can monitor the calories you eat throughout the day.

pintobean
07-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks kuhljeanie for your response :)

I emailed SenseWear and asked them about their pricing...here's the reply I received. I'm posting here in case anyone is interested.

Thank you for contacting BodyMedia. We currently have limited number of introductory specials which includes our new SenseWear Mini armband, a display device, and a six month web subscription for $459. After the initial six month subscription, the current price is $5 a week. An order form has been attached for your convenience - you may complete it and email or fax back in to order. We are currently shipping within three days. Thank you again for contacting BodyMedia.

So SenseWear and Bodybugg are similar devices but products from different companies?? And also that Bodybugg is cheaper?

kuhljeanie
07-18-2008, 09:21 AM
pintobean, bodybugg is cheaper because they're still on version 2, and the monitor costs extra (about $100). they're planning on releasing version 3 in the fall. sensewear sells version 3 now (see my discussion on this earlier in the thread.) it's exactly the same technology, different business model.

ndnguy85, thanks for calling them out on the not having to log food thing. it is misleading - there's no technology that i know of that automatically "reads" what you ate. i also think it's a cop out. weight fluctuations due to water retention and loss can be a read red herring. aside from that, all the research i've read indicates that the act of logging food makes people more accountable, and accountability is one of the big reasons to buy one of these devices. i'll use every trick we've got to help myself get more accountable (until that magical day when i acquire a thin person's eating mentality. :) ) if it never happens, i'll be logging my food until i can't log no more. don't know about just buying the monitor and skipping the subscription, not even sure if that's an option. if someone finds out, would you mind posting? cheers.

pintobean
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks you for all the detailed information. :)

....don't know about just buying the monitor and skipping the subscription, not even sure if that's an option. if someone finds out, would you mind posting? cheers.

And I don't know about buying just monitor and skipping subscription but Bodybugg does have the opposite option where you can get the subscription without the monitor...they call it the web only program.

Click here - Web Only Program (http://my.apexfitness.com/bb_direct/home.php?bb_style=1)

ndnguy85
07-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Sensewear is $460..so i guess you can break it down to 315+ 100(digital display)+ 45 (three extra months).

it's smaller and does some more little stuff like sleep patterns.

as of right now bodybugg and display and 3 months included is 350. or 400 with another 3 months.

i wonder how much their new one is going to be.

i bought one off ebay. she sold it claiming brand new..and now she is saying she tried to activate it and she had trouble..so she gave up..

i have recieved it yet so hopefully i dont have to buy the web program again for an extra 100. ugh

kuhljeanie
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
quick correction - the sensewear $459 would break out to $315 + $100 + $45 for six months, not three - after that it's $5 a week. :) how would you get it activated without a subscription? let me know how it goes!

also didn't realize that version 2 didn't do the sleep stuff. that's cool to know (and makes me feel better about spending a little more for the tricked-out version.)

djay
07-18-2008, 11:35 AM
y'all welcome! :) glad the information was helpful. for what it's worth, IRS guidelines allow HSA funds to be used to purchase them if a doctor signs off on it being part of treatment for obesity and weight-related health issues.

from http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#d0e2229

Weight-Loss Program
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group and attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

these monitors are often used by doctors post-WLS; and as part of bariatric clinic treatments, so it's worth looking into if you can use as HSA account to help pay for it (assuming your doctor doesn't use them.)

cheers!

WOW!!! Thanks for posting this info. I want one so bad but wasn't going to spend the extra money. I think I might just have enough left in my HSA this year to cover this!

Exciting! :D

ndnguy85
07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
quick correction - the sensewear $459 would break out to $315 + $100 + $45 for six months, not three - after that it's $5 a week. :) how would you get it activated without a subscription? let me know how it goes!

so after 15 months..
sensewear 460+45 (9 months) = 505
bodybugg 350+100 (12 months) = 450

add on another year
sensewear 505+60 (1 year) = 565
bodybugg 450+100 (1year) = 550

so you would have to have sensewear at least 2 years and 3 months before you break even in terms of cost with the bodybugg.

by then who knows what will come out..

so unless you care for the smaller size (now that i know about it..i do ..lol)..just go with what you can afford. time will tell what bodybugg v3 will cost.

i havent heard anything from the lady yet..so i will let you know how my ******ed purchase went. this is what i get for trying to save.

blueyedlvrgirl
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Just so everyone knows, I bought my bodybugg at 24 hr fitness for 169 plus tax, with 3 months of the subscription included. The subscription is less as well; 14.95 for recurring monthly charges, 29.95 for a single non-recurring month, 39.95 for 3 months or 99.95 for one year. Also, the trainer told me the digital display does NOT accurately tell you how many calories you are burning in a session, just the days totals. I have been using it w/o the display and have lost 3.4 lbs since Weds. My weight loss to this point has been very slow, 24 lbs since the middle of January, so 3.4 lbs in few days is quite significant! I highly recommend purchasing this little piece of genius. I have found it to be highly accurate. I have also found that adding custom foods in even easier than when adding them to the daily plate. The monitor and the website are VERY user friendly and there are step-by-step tutorials to show you everything! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

One question...How do you print the weekly reports like you have screenshots of above? Is it something you can only do once the first 7 days are over?Thanks!!

Someone asked about the times...it runs midnight to midnight.

kuhljeanie
07-22-2008, 08:49 AM
mazel tov! :) don't know about printing reports for the bodybugg - i'm assuming that their website is similar to sensewear's, in which case the reporting works (but there wouldn't be much data) right away.

so now i'm wondering - in the wide world of 3fc, there have to be more than the three of us who are using these things, right?

congratulations on your 3.4 lbs! that's tremendous - do you think your monitor is keeping you more accountable in some way, or are you moving more to get that calorie counter to turn faster? or both? or something else? just curious about your experience.

cheers!

blueyedlvrgirl
07-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I think it is a combination of a lot of things. The main reason I bought it was b/c I was having so many problems determining a good calorie intake range for myself. Having this and knowing how many calories I burn in a day has really helped me to know how much I should be eating. Also, I am determined to reach or exceed my target calorie deficit, so I find myself negotiating and compromising as far as foods I want to eat. If there is something I really want, I can see the impact it will have and adjust accordingly (either eat less at other times of the day or get movin'). If I know I am not going to be moving as much, I can see what my burn will be, so I can plan my food accordingly. I was journaling before this, but never knew how much I was burning, so it was hard to see the whole picture. I had a great Polar HRM, but have found that it actually understimated my calorie burn. All in all, this has given me the peace of mind that I am doing everything that I can to lose weight. My weight loss was so slow and I was working so hard, I actually thought I had a medical problem that was preventing me from losing the weight. If I don't lose weight, I will know why...b/c now I know just how much to move and eat. :)

I hope that more people find this thread and join in! It's a great place to talk about our successes and failures and compare stories. We all have a lot to learn from each other here!

ndnguy85
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
hey guys/girls.

i got my bodybugg yest.

in the quick start guide there's 4 steps to get this thing going. but the instructions are written for someone who got it from a trainer. in the manual it states if you got it as a gift call customer service for instructions. i got it to work but i wasn't happy that bodybugg people decided not to mention an important step. let me tell you what i mean.

quick start guide:
-------------------

have trainer enroll you in the bodybugg program and create an apex username.

go to www-myapex-com, login and click open rogram.

complete the registration process (answerring some questions about you and plugging in and configuring the bodybugg) - this step is where your subscription starts.

what i did
-----------

went to www-bodybugg-com/activate (why didn't they just write this in the quick start or manual??). this is the alternative if you don't have a trainer to enroll you. going to this site will get that done. the site just asks for a serial from the bodybugg and ask you if you have an apex account.

during step 1, it asked me if i had an apex account. i said no and i was able to create it.

logged in and completed the registration process as stated.

ndnguy85
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
now that i got that off my chest, i want to say this little thing is pretty accurate i think. my mom has hypothyrodism and i am blessed with her metabolism. i think a dead person burns more calories than me. :D

i am 5' 7", 143lbs @ 12-14% bodyfat. i started at 165@20-22% i am trying to get down to around 8% for a visible six pack while keep my strength and muscle.

so when i first started cutting last year i needed to know how much to eat. so this is how i figured out my daily need.

online calculators says my BMR is 1650, add in my "tv watching, internet surfing" lifestyle..and my daily requirement is around 1900. i workout for an hour and that's about 250 calories too.
so 2150. so i thought i should cut 500 cals..and ate around 1650.

well i watched my weight for 6-8months while cutitng and i was not losing more than 0.6lbs a week (only ~300 calorie deficit)..

so i go get my bmr tested using that bodygem/medgem thing. it says my BMR is 1250! WHAT!?!? i that's 400 short of my online calculations. and very low for a 23 year old male.

i was hoping the test was wrong at that time..but when i got the bodybugg i wanted that test to be right since that would explain my slow weight loss. and of course it seems right.

yest it said i burned 2200 calories. and the math is right. 500 by working out/cardio. daily activities was around 300. and that leaves me with 1400 BMR (seems about right for my slow metabolism).

now i find myself realizing i am not active enough (actually i didnt need a bodybugg to tell me this but now i feel guilty actually know the exact number..haha).

i am still going to eat 1650-1700cals. but i am going to increase my deficit by being more active. i am not a big fan of cutting food calories to create deficits because for one, anything under 1600..i find myself too hungry throughout the day. so i better get moving.

i will post my diet and activity report after i wear this thing for a couple of days.

hope that helps someone and sorry for the giant post.

kuhljeanie
07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
don't apologize - THANKS for the giant post! :) glad to hear that you got it working and that it's corroborating what you thought. i guess that's the magic of these little suckers.

blueyedlvrgirl, that's a great explanation and sounds like it's working as intended. basically, what you're saying is that you've internalized the balance between calories in and calories out, huh? that's fantastic when it turns into just plain old simple math. in my case, an added benefit (that i just realized this minute) is that it takes the moral judgement out of what i put into my mouth. i'm not good or bad, food isn't good or bad, it's just a series of choices i make which may or may not support weight loss.

cheers monitor-wearers (and those considering!)

ndnguy85
07-22-2008, 03:03 PM
i was pondering on why they left out that instruction...

the bodybugg i got was branded for 24hr fitness. so my guess is 24hr wants you to have a trainer to do it on purpose. why? they know if they can hook you up with a trainer, then you will more than likely return for training sessions..or $$$.

i only paid 150 with shipping and it was brand new with 3 months subscription. the poor lady i got it from didnt know how to do the enrollment either.

pintobean
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I want to thank all of you for all these detailed posts. Please keep it up as it really helps people like me to go get one. I'm leaning towards buying one but seriously considering the $$ and making sure it's worth it. But looking at what you guys are posting it is definitely making me see more postive than negative about getting SenseWear or Bodybugg. I haven't decided which one I want to get yet though. I was thinking of waiting for version 3 to come out for BB but now I think it might not be a good idea to wait that long :) I want one soon...as for me too it seems weight loss is crawlingly slow despite eating OP and working out. I don't know how much I can trust the online BMR calculators.

I do have few silly questions though :D

I remember somebody posting it works midnight to midnight.
-- What about when you have to take a shower...Does it affect the reading that you'll be taking it off? Does it affect the reading in any way if I don't wear it for couple days in a row? And then wear it back again?

-- Can it be worn anywhere? I mean what if I want to wear it on my ankle instead of my arm? Can I do that? Or does it have to be worn at a specific location.

-- Have you guys tried wearing it with sleeveless tops? (ladies)

ndnguy85
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I want to thank all of you for all these detailed posts. Please keep it up as it really helps people like me to go get one. I'm leaning towards buying one but seriously considering the $$ and making sure it's worth it. But looking at what you guys are posting it is definitely making me see more postive than negative about getting SenseWear or Bodybugg. I haven't decided which one I want to get yet though. I was thinking of waiting for version 3 to come out for BB but now I think it might not be a good idea to wait that long :) I want one soon...as for me too it seems weight loss is crawlingly slow despite eating OP and working out. I don't know how much I can trust the online BMR calculators.

I do have few silly questions though :D

I remember somebody posting it works midnight to midnight.
-- What about when you have to take a shower...Does it affect the reading that you'll be taking it off? Does it affect the reading in any way if I don't wear it for couple days in a row? And then wear it back again?

-- Can it be worn anywhere? I mean what if I want to wear it on my ankle instead of my arm? Can I do that? Or does it have to be worn at a specific location.

-- Have you guys tried wearing it with sleeveless tops? (ladies)

V2 Bodybugg is $200 at 24hrfitness.com. Average price on ebay is probably like 150.

Sensewear or bodybugg..you can't go wrong with either because they are both made by the same company.

you have a couple of choices.
a. get v2 bodybugg for around 200 with three months included.
b. get v3 sensewear for 460 with six months included.
c. wait for v3 bodybugg. my guess it will be around 300-350 with probably 3 months included.

the biggest advantage of sensewear v3 (and future v3 bodybugg) is that..IT'S SMALLER! [50% lighter, 20% thinner, 40% smaller footprint]

i didn't feel like spending $460, or waiting for the next bodybugg. so that's why i bought it. in fact it was so random. i was like let me look on ebay to see how much they are and i saw this auction for a brand new one and somehow got it.

but when the new one comes out and price goes down...i might get one so i can wear it underclothes without people asking me.

as for your other questions:

after you don't wear it for more than 30 mins, the next time you sync it...it asks you what you did during that time period. so you get to manually say stuff like "i took a shower, or i wasn't active at all, or i was active the same way i was this time a certain day." if you don't say what you did, or compare yourself to another day..it basically just relies on calculations based on ur height/weight etc.

it cannot and should not be worn anyhwere else. i havent tested this myself, which i will once i get a solid week or two going. it has to be worn on ur upper right arm over the tricep.

i am no lady but all of a sudden i find myself wearing full sleeves to the gym in comparison to my wife beaters before. :D

today i want to wear a wife beater and wear this to the gym but i dont like people asking me what it is. like i am some battery powered alien. lol

pintobean
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks ndnguy85 for answering the questions. It helps a lot :) Well I just need to figure out which one I want to buy. Dh and I talked and he said it doesn't matter which one I get as long as it benefits me. So we'll see. I do like that SenseWear is smaller and thinner.

I'm like you too where I don't want people looking funny at me or asking me questions. I guess I have to be creative with my clothes :D

ndnguy85
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
please ask any questions that any of you have about this thing. i am more than willing to answer.

that's how i found this forum. i was looking around for anyone with experience to this thing.

kuhljeanie
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
just chiming in - when i first starting wearing mine, i was pretty self-conscious about it, but now that it's summer (and HOT) i'm wearing short sleeves. i now have a sensewear tan line on my left arm. :) people do occasionally ask me about it, so i just tell them it's a calorie monitor. only my extended in-laws were sort of problematic - they didn't want to ask me what it was, and they assumed it was some sort of medical thing and thought i was sick or something. they're kind of funny about stuff sometimes. :)

ditto ndnguy on the off-body time.

j45rpm
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
V2 Bodybugg is $200 at 24hrfitness.com. Average price on ebay is probably like 150.

Give the relatively small difference in price, you're probably better off buying a new one for two reasons. First, the one's on eBay that are going for $150 generally don't have the 3 month free subscription, and that's going to eat up some of the savings right there. Second, you won't know how much time, if any, is left on the warranty of a used Bodybugg, whereas the new ones have a 1 year warranty.

today i want to wear a wife beater and wear this to the gym but i dont like people asking me what it is. like i am some battery powered alien. lol

I haven't been wearing a wife beater, I usually wear a t-shirt, but so far, nobody has asked me about the Bodybugg unless I'm fiddling with it to get it to sync wth the monitor-most people don't notice, or assume it's an MP3 player or something like that....

ndnguy85
07-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Give the relatively small difference in price, you're probably better off buying a new one for two reasons. First, the one's on eBay that are going for $150 generally don't have the 3 month free subscription, and that's going to eat up some of the savings right there. Second, you won't know how much time, if any, is left on the warranty of a used Bodybugg, whereas the new ones have a 1 year warranty.

i agree also. i think the normal price is $300 retail. Right now it's $100 off at 24hr fitness and $50 off if you buy direct from apex. my guess is they are clearing out inventory for the new one.

I didn't know the whole 3 month subscription thing when i first searched on ebay. the auction was ending in like 2 hours or something and i just assumed since it was "brand new" everything was included. otherwise i would had to spend a $100 to purchase the program. i guess i missed out on the warranty since i didn't purchase it from a retailer.

here's how i see the whole ebay thing.
a. auction for brand new one with whole 3 months.
if you save a significant amount, then i don't see why not unless of course you want the warranty

b. auction for a used one with "some time" remaining.
this is good because you will have enough time to change the program up and make it yours and the next $100 you spend will be used to add an additional year to your program

c. auction for a used one with no subscription
i would stay away from these because it's going to cost you $100 to buy 3 months. even if you get the armband for a $100, you still wouldnt save anything in comparison to the 24hr deal

I haven't been wearing a wife beater, I usually wear a t-shirt, but so far, nobody has asked me about the Bodybugg unless I'm fiddling with it to get it to sync wth the monitor-most people don't notice, or assume it's an MP3 player or something like that....

i just dont like wearing full sleeve shirts when lifting. gives me some motivation and self confidence and of course it's easier to do some exercises.

pintobean
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
...I haven't been wearing a wife beater, I usually wear a t-shirt, but so far, nobody has asked me about the Bodybugg unless I'm fiddling with it to get it to sync wth the monitor-most people don't notice, or assume it's an MP3 player or something like that....

....i just dont like wearing full sleeve shirts when lifting. gives me some motivation and self confidence and of course it's easier to do some exercises.

Well, my concern was mostly outside the gym area. For example, going to a restaurant? Hanging out with friends? Just going out doing random things and wearing different clothes/shirts and have the bodybugg/sensewear on you. If someone sees me at the gym with it I don't have a problem but it's outside of the exercise activities that I was wondering what does everyone do? :)

ndnguy85
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, my concern was mostly outside the gym area. For example, going to a restaurant? Hanging out with friends? Just going out doing random things and wearing different clothes/shirts and have the bodybugg/sensewear on you. If someone sees me at the gym with it I don't have a problem but it's outside of the exercise activities that I was wondering what does everyone do? :)

ok i just tried wearing it with some of my t-shirts and what i noticed it...if the sleeves are not too tight and short (should cover that side tricep muscle)..then it's fine.

i put a pic up of both of my arms and u can kind of tell which arm it's on. but sleeveless and bodybugg in an outside of gym setting is probably not going to be very good. :D

pintobean
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Thank you ndnguy85, actually it's not as bad as I thought. The picture helped :D

blueyedlvrgirl
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I wear sleeveless tops all the time with mine. At work, only one person asked about it, he assumed it was an mp3 player when he saw me coming back from walking at lunch. I even wore it to the club over the weekend. My bf's friend asked what it was and I told him it monitors how many calories I burn, that was the end of it. Those are really the only 2 things I have heard. I live in San Diego and wear tank tops and such all the time without incident. I figure that my goals are way more important than worrying what other people may or may not be thinking. Honestly, I think that most people assume it is an ipod armband.

j45rpm
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Honestly, I think that most people assume it is an ipod armband.

Exactly-most people aren't going to notice anything at all. Out of the people who do notice, most people will assume it's a MP3 player.

ndnguy85
07-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Exactly-most people aren't going to notice anything at all. Out of the people who do notice, most people will assume it's a MP3 player.

i wore it to the gym the last 2 days. no one asked. i dont think people know such a device exists so ya it can easily pass for an mp3 player. i will probably get the smaller one after the price settles.

i worn it for 5 days now. battery is halfway. i am still amazed by how much it works.

i think this is going to come in more handy once i start bulking up. that's when the calories really matter. You don't want to eat too much when you are trying to put on muscle because your body can only use so much of it to make new muscle. once i know what i am burning for that day, it should be easy to add that extra 100-200 cals.

5-7lbs till a six pack! :carrot:

Thin4Good
07-27-2008, 12:01 AM
ok- now I want one of these. I will have to wait a while though with all of my other healthy lifestyle purchases!

I would LOVE to know how many calories I am actually burning.

blueyedlvrgirl
07-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Well tomorrow is my week 2 weigh-in...I took a peek this morning and I am down another 3.6 lbs! That's 7 lbs in 2 weeks! That is a record for me! I have been fighting a cold for 5-6 days, so I skipped the gym and it was TOM (5 lbs water weight gain)...I would've been happy with maintenance! I can't believe that I actually found something that works!!! I want everyone to know about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blueyedlvrgirl
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Where is everyone? We need more exposure to this thread! Maybe the peeps in calorie counters would be interested? There has got to be more people that have a bodybugg or that want to find out more about it!!! ;)

ndnguy85
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Where is everyone? We need more exposure to this thread! Maybe the peeps in calorie counters would be interested? There has got to be more people that have a bodybugg or that want to find out more about it!!! ;)

i know! not a lot of people seem very interested in something that works. post a crazy diet and you will get folks to read. :D

i took an off day today and i am seeing how low my daily requirement is compared to my workout days.

i am on track to burn roughly only 1850cals. on workout days i was burning 2500! (40 min weights + 20 mins cardio after).

before i got the bodybugg i just assumed my workout 3-4x a week was enough. i ate around 1700 on and off days. now i realize i wasnt in much of a deficit on off days. :(

so less off days plus more active "on" days...and i am seeing much better results.

blueyedlvrgirl
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I was also very surprised by how little I burn on non-workout days (only around 2000, 3000-3500 on workout days). I have started doing other things if I know I will not make it to the gym...swim, walk extra, climb the stairs throughout the day, take a few laps around the building, run errands after work, anything to get me moving. I can't believe the success that is seen with this thing and the lack of response! If only people knew how effective weight loss could be! I was scared at first, afriad of being ripped off, worried it wouldn't work. That's why I am trying to get the word out, I think if people knew, they would get involved! Good luck!

Magpie34
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Maybe you guys can help me out! I've looked into the Sensewear (have decided that's the one I want), but have had very little luck in trying to contact the company! When I call, no matter the time of day, I get voice mail and have to leave a message (I've left 3!), and my e-mails went unanswered for over 4 days. This morning, I finally received a response that only told me how to order, and ignored my other questions regarding warranty, if there's any issue with using a Mac, etc. I've now sent yet ANOTHER message (to an alternate address that was provided), but it's been all day and nothing.

I desperately want to order this product - I do actually have a metabolic disorder, and feel the feedback could be invaluable for me. However, the lack of response concerns me given the amount of money I would be spending (2 units - one for hubby and one for me). Can you share your experiences with the company, and also tell me anything you know about warranty, Mac-compatibility, etc.? It would be very greatly appreciated. :) THANK YOU!

fujiapple
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Hello! I found this thread via a Google search.

My fitness center at work is doing this 5-day program where we can "lease" a SenseWear arm band (the mini version). I signed up and today is my first day wearing the device.

Since this is a limited program, I don't have the wrist band and I don't get to download my own data (lame, I know)... but on Monday morning when I drop off the device they will upload the data for me and give me a printout report of my 5 days wearing the device.

So I'm treating these 5 days as a "science experiment". The main reason I signed up is that I have a hard time figuring out how many calories I actually burn, and therefore how much I should be eating. So I'm really looking forward to some enlightenment.

For this experiment I am simply going about my normal daily life. It's tempting to want to increase my activity (i.e. taking the stairs) but I don't want to skew the results... I want an accurate picture of what I burn during my normal life and my normal exercise routine.

Today I had my weekly personal training session. Tomorrow I'll do cardio. Friday I will skip the gym because I want to know how much I burn in a normal weekday with NO exercise. And on Saturday and Sunday I will just do normal errands and household chores, etc.

Anyway... I doubt this post is of any value to anyone, but I was excited to read all your opinons on the SenseWear and BodyBugg and just wanted to chime in. I have a feeling I will end up buying one for myself after this trial program has ended. The online tools sound GREAT. I already use SparkPeople to log my food, so I'm used to that sort of thing.

Oh I do have a question for those of you that track your food intake on the BodyBugg/SenseWear sites. Does it allow you to simply enter how many calories you ate that day, instead of looking up individual food items in the database? For example if I wanted to continue using SparkPeople to track my food, but also want to input my calorie intake in the SenseWear site... would I be able to do that easily?

Thanks! :)

Magpie34
07-30-2008, 08:07 PM
One more question for the experts! :)

I'm looking at the order form I received this morning - if I order the $459 package, does this come with everything I need? I note that under "Accessories and Replacements" on the form that there is a Wireless Communicator for $114, and a USB Power Adaptor for $21, but don't know if these are necessary add-ons or if they come with the package, or ???

Thanks again - sorry to use you to fill in the blanks, but I'm eager to get going on a decision! :)

kuhljeanie
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
hi magpie, yes, the $459 comes with everything you need, including the monitor. you don't need the power adapter - the cord that it comes with for uploading your data works just fine for charging. you'd only need it if you plan on going long periods without uploading to a computer. it would take days and days to kill the battery (and frankly, i couldn't stand to go that long without knowing my data!) but of course you'd also get that from the monitor. so sorry to hear that you weren't getting a response from sensewear! they're normally pretty good, but i was having a little bit of trouble uploading last week and it took them two days to call me back too. i'm guessing there was some sort of technological meltdown that required most hands on deck - i'd keep trying. they're normally very good.

and fujiapple, you could theoretically enter a flat calorie intake for the day - you'd just create a custom food with that number of calories, and log it at the end of the day. i've found though that the sensewear meal planning and logging is pretty good (i have a paid fitday license i used for years) and i spend a lot more time on the app using the whole thing. not necessary, though.

HTH!

jenjen
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
I find all of this so interesting, & I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge!

ndnguy85
07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
if you guys want screen shots of the bodybugg online program..let me know.

kuhljeanie
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
i'd be interested just to see how it differs from sensewear...

pintobean
08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Please ndnguy85 that would be helpful :)

I'm 75% leaning towards getting one. You guys have put some good info on this thread...thank you all :D

I do have a Polar F6 HRM which I recently bought few months ago, I guess it's a waste if I buy sensewear. Do you guys think the sensewear/bodybugg does more than any HRM? (With or without the online subscription)

kuhljeanie
08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
well, without the online subscription, it doesn't do anything (as far as i know.) and if you use HR as part of your training (establishing HIIT targets or something like that) then you might still want to use it when you do cardio. other than that, though, yeah, mine has been sitting in a drawer since i got my sensewear (along with the pedometer. they keep each other company. :) )

ndnguy85
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
i have suffered a little set back. I been dealing with a herniated disc (L5-S1) since last year..but the other day I started experiencing some tingling/numbness in my left leg. so i had to stop lifting weights since monday. doctor said i am ok as long as it doesnt get worse. so my calories burned have been much lower this week since the only thing i did was walk everyday in the morning.

but thanks to the bodybugg i was able to see how much i was burning without my workout and lower my intake a little bit according to that.

ndnguy85
08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
ok here's the imageshack links..these are better quality.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7781/mainscreenao8.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mainscreenao8.jpg)

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/4105/mainscreennutritionkf5.th.jpg (http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mainscreennutritionkf5.jpg)

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/236/updatingcaloriesar5.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=updatingcaloriesar5.jpg)

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3619/mygoalsfe1.th.jpg (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mygoalsfe1.jpg)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2646/mynutritiongr2.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mynutritiongr2.jpg)

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6853/myexerciseplanyo3.th.jpg (http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myexerciseplanyo3.jpg)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9757/myresourcesur0.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myresourcesur0.jpg)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7605/myinfobg2.th.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myinfobg2.jpg)

pintobean
08-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you ndnguy85 for posting the reports. And I'm sorry to hear about the herniated disc. Hope you feel better soon.

pintobean
08-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I have another Question, have any of you worn sensewear/bodybugg and walked thru a metal detector? Where I work I have to walk thru one everyday cuz thats how our security is set up. But will it set it off? Now work ok I can manage....what about airports? Where not many people know of the device and it might set the detetor off and wondering if it might cause problems with TSA etc? Just wondering :)

kuhljeanie
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
i took mine off when i travelled by air - dh (electrical engineer) said that the transmissions from the armband to the monitor could potentially interfere like a cell phone or all those other devices you're not allowed to use, so i just checked it. never found out for sure, though. it might be on the tsa website but i doubt it. if anyone knows, shout out!

ndnguy85
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
this thread on MyApex should give you guys some info.

most were ok..one said it set off the alarm.

http://my.apexfitness.com/message_boards/posts.php?mb=1&topic=1701

momof2gr8kids
08-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I am totally intrigued by this!

Our local news recently did a feature on the Body Bugg and I started to look into it...then I discovered this thread and the newer, smaller Sensewear model and now I'm not sure which one I'm going to get...but I want one!! :carrot:

I work in an office environment and live in FL where I mostly wear short sleeves, so I could definitely appreciate a 'less obvious' model. If it works as it is supposed to, I could see where this would be so helpful in getting the specific feedback I need to keep me on track. I'm almost thinking it would be worth spending more on the Sensewear model to get the smaller footprint, especially since it has to be worn all the time. What does everyone else think?

kuhljeanie
08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
i spent the extra to get the smaller version, and i'm very happy with it. the fact that it was less noticeable was important to me when i first got it, but i may have mentioned that as time goes on and i rely on it more and more, i don't really care who notices it or what they think. i've developed a really nice armband tan line! :) i've also found that it doesn't annoy me when i'm flipping around trying to get to sleep.

cheers!

ndnguy85
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I am totally intrigued by this!

Our local news recently did a feature on the Body Bugg and I started to look into it...then I discovered this thread and the newer, smaller Sensewear model and now I'm not sure which one I'm going to get...but I want one!! :carrot:

I work in an office environment and live in FL where I mostly wear short sleeves, so I could definitely appreciate a 'less obvious' model. If it works as it is supposed to, I could see where this would be so helpful in getting the specific feedback I need to keep me on track. I'm almost thinking it would be worth spending more on the Sensewear model to get the smaller footprint, especially since it has to be worn all the time. What does everyone else think?

i would definitely get the smaller sensewear.

i didn't because i dont have $400, and i didn't want to wait till the new bodybugg came out which is probably going to be close to $350 anyway.

i would wait till september/october and see if the bugg is out and compare the sensewear and the new bugg.

i am getting this impression that bodybugg is the watered down version of sensewear.

bean08
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I am new to the thread. I just wanted to report that the body bugg is amazing. I have tried everything to lose weight, my husband is even personal trainer. But nothing seemed to work because I have a motivation problem. Meaning I'm not motivated. Even when I would have spurts of motivation I wouldn't lose anything or just a pound. It was so frustrating. So I decided to try the Body Bugg. It's constant motivation. I can look at my wrist to see if I need to move more. It's great. 2 1/2 weeks in and I have lost 9 pounds!!!! I anticipate that by tomorrow it will be 10 pounds. I completely recommend this to anyone who needs motivation. It's working for me.

pintobean
08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I wanted to share the news...I took the plunge and just sent the order form for my sensewear :D I was told I should get it in couple weeks time unless it takes longer cuz of unforseen reasons. Now I just have to wait :) She said normally they tell people 30 days but it doesn't take that long.

I went with the sensewear mainly cuz of the smaller model and looking at the charts/reports for both as well. Thank you everyone for all the help and information provided.

Oh I also asked the lady if it would interfere with security metal detectors and she informed me that it doesn't interfere with the product itself. In the sense the data will not be affected if you walk thru them. She also said so far even at airports (as she travels a lot) it hasn't bothered her. Maybe once it did go off and she explained what it was and it was not a big deal.

So I feel better that way cuz I have to walk thru the metal detector every day for work and my major concern was if it would interfere with the data etc.

FYI:
BTW BodyMedia/Sensewear has a 14 day full refund policy if it has not been opened/used. But if Sensewear package has been opened then they charge 15% restocking fee. Also they have a 1 yr warranty for the product.

This is what I paid:
$ 459.00 (SenseWear WMS armband (mini) w/ display, 6 month subscription)
$ 12.95 (Shipping and handling)
$ 0.00 (tax)

Total - $ 471.95

momof2gr8kids
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Those who have been able to order from Sensewear Directly...how did you ever end up getting ahold of them? I have been trying for the last 3 or 4 days to call and email them with no response.

pintobean
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I received a phone call from them at one point. I know it was frustrating as I didn't get a response to my email for like 2 days. But I called her back after well debating whether I should buy or not and she was nice on the phone. Oh and I did have to call couple times to get hold of her. I'll PM you the person I contacted...you can try her too. I believe she's in Pittsburg. If she cannot help you I'm sure she'll give you info as to whom to call. Leave her a message and your contact info to call back.

Hope this helps :D

kuhljeanie
08-07-2008, 09:59 AM
another update, since i was having the uploading issue again - apparently sensewear has discovered a problem with the plastic they used in the new version. if you sweat a lot it develops micro-cracks which can interfere with the ability to upload data. i got them on the phone this morning, and they apologized profusely, said they switched to a different supplier and corrected the problem. then said that i'd get a brand new one - tomorrow. once it shows up i can ship them the old one.

so, that may explain the slowness of response. obviously it's not optimal, because they're clearly understaffed to handle it - but they're doing the right thing and they seem totally willing to accept responsibility and take care of it as soon as they can.

momof2gr8kids
08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I called her although she's not the rep for my area (I'm in FL), she put me in touch with another rep who serves my area, and sent her an email with my email address and phone #. My rep called me today, but I missed her call. She did say to try back early a.m., as that was the best time to call. I'll try that tomorrow. My rep quoted on the phone the same price.

It was kind of funny, because the contact you gave me asked for your name, and I told her that I got the referral from an online bulletin board, but I didn't think she'd recognize you if I told her "Pintobean" referred me! :D

pintobean
08-08-2008, 07:52 AM
momof2gr8kids, :lol: No I don't think she would have recognized my screen name. I'm glad you got through a rep in your area. I can understand how frustrating it can get. Well, let us know your progress and experience with SenseWear once you get it. I just can't wait to get it :D

kuhljeanie, Thank you for that update. That is indeed very helpful information. I'm going to contact my rep and find out if I'll be getting the newer version or the old version. I'm glad they switched the supplier and are giving you a brand new one.

pintobean
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh I'm so excited...I just received an email saying that Bodymedia shipped my SenseWear yesterday and is scheduled for delivery today. Yippee!!! :D

Thank you all again for all the detailed info...I will keep you all posted about my experience with it.

Update: I asked my rep if they're sending me the new improved version with the better plastic and she said she doesn't think they're sending them out yet. So if mine breaks or anything happens they'll replace it for free. Oh well :(

ndnguy85
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh I'm so excited...I just received an email saying that Bodymedia shipped my SenseWear yesterday and is scheduled for delivery today. Yippee!!! :D

Thank you all again for all the detailed info...I will keep you all posted about my experience with it.

Update: I asked my rep if they're sending me the new improved version with the better plastic and she said she doesn't think they're sending them out yet. So if mine breaks or anything happens they'll replace it for free. Oh well :(

congratulations.

i gotta say it has helped me out a lot. before i got the bugg i was counting calories and protein etc. like crazy but i was starting to get frustrated. i was eating around 1700 and i just thought i was burning over 2300. but with the bugg i realized..i was only doing 2000. now i have added a low intensity 50min walk in the morning along with my normal workout in the afternoon.

it's starting to make sense number wise too.

the last 10 days i created a deficit of ~5200 calories total. that's about 1.5lbs of fat..

my weight dropped from 141.6 to 140..which is 1.6lbs. :)

seems pretty close to me..

my daily goals are 2300/1800.

realistically i am doing:
burned: ~2250
intake: ~1700

momof2gr8kids
08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, now count me in as another of the armband crew!

I finally hooked up with my rep yesterday, ordered my sensewear armband and she told me it would be shipped out that day! It is scheduled to be delivered to my office Tuesday....yipppeee!!! :carrot::carrot: Thanks to Pintobean for the contact info..that did help expedite things! It's not like I was waiting forever, but once I decide I want something I pretty much want it like right now! :p (my spoiled brat smiley).

Thanks, ndnguy85, for that detailed info....seems like the bugg is quite accurate and will be so helpful in revealing those issues I have like overestimating burn and underestimating intake. Being a numbers person (CPA here) I really feel like this is the perfect thing to keep me on track, plus I am in love with the technology of the thing.....I can't get over the coolness of it! I'm ready to go sell the little BUGG(ers) to everyone! Can you tell I am a little excited!?

Oh, almost forgot...I paid $459 plus shipping of $12.95 and I had to pay FL sales tax of 6%. They must have offices or ship out of FL. It included 6 months subscription to the online program.
It was just over $500 total for me because of the tax. But if it works the way everyone says, it will be well worth it. If I could add up all the $ I've paid for diet books, Jenny Craig food, etc. it would be soooo much more than that. The rep also mentioned that currently the online program costs $5 a week standalone. They are revamping the cost structure of it, so she said I can look forward to the cost of the monthly/weekly subscription going down significantly. She didn't say how much, though. So that's a good thing!

pintobean
08-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I have a problem here...I charged my SenseWear before registering the armband and now it seems to pick up info as if I burned calories without even wearing the band. I registered the armband today and I haven't worn the band yet but in Summery it is showing I've burned 1500 calories when that's impossible. I never even had the thing on my arm how the heck did it calculate that I burned 1500 calories. This is very frustrating.

How do I erase the calories burned information and start from scratch? Please any help would be appreciated.

ndnguy85
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
your body is burning calories 24 hours a day...the minute you started the program, it started estimating your calories. average person burns about 70-80 calories per hour even when sleeping.

i signed up onto the program on friday and i didnt wear the armband till monday but it still estimated by calories based on formulas for fri, sat, sun.

after all this is all just based on formulas and algorithms. when you wear the armband, the formulas are customized for you because of data it gathers. so it's more accurate.

everytime you download the data, the armband is reset and thats when it clears.

no need to be frustrated. just wear it as much as you can and uploaded whenever you can. it will start making sense in a couple of days.

pintobean
08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh ok...thanks :D

It was just strange to me thats all...since I know I'd definitely had not worn the band and it showing I'd burned 1500 calories was just enough to make me wonder if this is going to work or not if this is what it does.

osu2k1
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi! I am new to the thread and I have used the bodybugg for a while. I used it for 8-10 wks last Sept-October-November, then I got pregnant. I stopped using it during that time (waste of my online subscription-but I wasn't working out). Anyway, I just restarted it last week and am back in the gym!

Last year there weren't as many people using the BB and it's great to see it being used more. I really love it! And after seeing the screenshots of the sensawear, I really love the look of that program more. Yes, there are things that the program are missing (like being able to see what the sodium, cheolesterol, fiber content are in all the foods you eat/log).

But I never thought I was burning as much as I really was! My trainer has me on a 1200-1500 calorie plan with at least a 1000 cal deficit for the day. Now I am working on getting to that low of calories, but I am working on it! Last year before I got PG, I had lost 18 lb. So I am looking forward to using this little life saver to loose at least 100 lb! :)

ndnguy85
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
wierd i was thinking the same thing..i was like man i wish i knew the details of each food i log..not just the total.

i am waiting for the new bugg to come out so i can make my decision on staying with the bugg or switching over to sensewear.

pintobean
08-12-2008, 08:27 AM
How do you guys calculate the Body Fat %? I know it's optional info on the web software in SenseWear. I just wanted to know if you guys had a separate device or something that calculated that for you.

I'll be uploading the data from the armband tonight. I'm looking forward to it :D I didn't upload it before cuz I wanted to wear it for couple days to see patterns and how my body works. Will keep you guys posted.

ndnguy85
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
i use a caliper.

you can use either a caliper or do the one on the scale. but remember, stick with one tool. when we do it ourselves, it's going to be wrong but our job is to be wrong consistently.

it's only there to track a trend. not omg i am 12.3%, i want to be 12.4!!!"

i am interested to see your calorie requirements and your reaction.

what do u currently estimate it to be?

pintobean
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, unfortunately my scale does not have a fat % and I don't have a Caliper either. Hmm...I'll have to see what I can do to calculate that. I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

As for calorie requirement, I thought we entered the calories in the software online? I did not know that sensewear calculated my calorie requirements for me?

Looking at the display it is telling me I've lost about 2200 calories so far. It's amazing to see that...I honestly don't know to believe it or not. I haven't uploaded my data yet though. All I did today was walk at work for 35 mins or so (fast paced). No other exercise and walk from parking lot to work and back. No heavy exercise as I want to see how much I burn with little to no exercise.

Up to now I've capped my calories to 1600 but I rarely reach that. I always range from 1200 to 1400 calories per day.

In the software I put my daily calories to be 1400 and my deficit it calculated as 2400/day. I'm assuming I could change it as the default was 1000 calories intake/day.

ndnguy85
08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
it calculated your requirement based on your height/weight.

i am a lil confused on what you mean by "you upped your calories." which calories? the one you consume? your daily goal on how much to burn?

are you logging your food? because the deficit is based on that. if you don't log anything, the program will just consider it as a deficit.

after you have logged your food, ALL of it, make sure your deficit is 1000 or less a day.

ndnguy85
08-12-2008, 08:50 PM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6157/clipboard01lo0.jpg

this is how mine is setup.

pintobean
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Well, what I meant was before I got the Sensewear, based on my weight/height combo my daily calories were around 1900 I believe (according to some web based calculator) but to me that had just sounded too much especially when I was trying to lose weight. So I set my calorie intake to 1600/day with moderate exercise. But I rarely ever reached 1600 calories/day cuz I was using it as the upper most limit. So I always ranged between 1200 to 1400 calories/day which seemed to be working but a tad slower for my liking.

Now that I bought the sensewear I want to see if I could get away with same calories or do I have to lower it? And also exactly how much my body was burning by itself as well.

I tried to upload the data from armband for the first time yesterday and I have to say it's a little more complicated when it comes to adding food than I'd anticipated. See lot of my food is custom made at home and it's very hard to enter each and every ingredient in the software to make it a food item.

What I've been doing is that for example, say If I made a veggie sandwich - I would calculate the calories for every ingredient and then just put the total amount for that sandwich in my blog...so after all done with a veggie sandwich would be say 300 cal. Now when I tried to do the same in SenseWear last night for some reason it did not let me enter anything over 100 cal in the total saying it was hard to calculate carb, protein etc for that high calorie or something along those lines. It was frustrating cuz I did not want to enter each and every ingredient in the sandwich I'd made (as I'd already calculated the calories for it) and I just wanted to put the total calories of the sandwich in there. But I couldn't and it was driving me nuts.

So now I have to build the list first before I even decide to upload the info from the armband. Unless of course I'm doing something wrong and missed something totally :)

What I mean to say is that I thought I would have been able to do just this simply on the software:

Coffee - 30
Sandwich - 250
etc without having to add each and every ingredient in my food. But it seems I can't if the food calorie is over 100 :(

momof2gr8kids
08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info on the body fat measurement. My BF scale has quit on me, so I think before my Senseware WMS arrives (found out that it's actually going to arrive Thurs, not today) I'll see if I can find one of those caliper measurers and get the hang of using it.

Remember that everyone has a baseline amount of calories that we burn just by existing...and that number might be say 1500 or 2000 (just examples) depending on your size and other factors. Add in any activity at all....and that adds to your calorie burn for the day. What you need to remember is that if you want to lose 1 lb, you'll need a 3500 calorie deficit. Spread over 1 week 3500/7 = 500 cal/day 2 lb = 1000 cal/day ....so that would be your max for safe steady weight loss.

ndnguy85
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, what I meant was before I got the Sensewear, based on my weight/height combo my daily calories were around 1900 I believe (according to some web based calculator) but to me that had just sounded too much especially when I was trying to lose weight. So I set my calorie intake to 1600/day with moderate exercise. But I rarely ever reached 1600 calories/day cuz I was using it as the upper most limit. So I always ranged between 1200 to 1400 calories/day which seemed to be working but a tad slower for my liking.

Now that I bought the sensewear I want to see if I could get away with same calories or do I have to lower it? And also exactly how much my body was burning by itself as well.

so you are saying the online calculators told you to take in 1900? and you thought it was too high and you ATE around 1200-1400.

so the question is

what is your daily calorie BURN / EXPENDITURE: ??? (purpose of the bodybugg)
we know the intake: 1200-1400

I tried to upload the data from armband for the first time yesterday and I have to say it's a little more complicated when it comes to adding food than I'd anticipated. See lot of my food is custom made at home and it's very hard to enter each and every ingredient in the software to make it a food item.

What I've been doing is that for example, say If I made a veggie sandwich - I would calculate the calories for every ingredient and then just put the total amount for that sandwich in my blog...so after all done with a veggie sandwich would be say 300 cal. Now when I tried to do the same in SenseWear last night for some reason it did not let me enter anything over 100 cal in the total saying it was hard to calculate carb, protein etc for that high calorie or something along those lines. It was frustrating cuz I did not want to enter each and every ingredient in the sandwich I'd made (as I'd already calculated the calories for it) and I just wanted to put the total calories of the sandwich in there. But I couldn't and it was driving me nuts.

So now I have to build the list first before I even decide to upload the info from the armband. Unless of course I'm doing something wrong and missed something totally :)

What I mean to say is that I thought I would have been able to do just this simply on the software:

Coffee - 30
Sandwich - 250
etc without having to add each and every ingredient in my food. But it seems I can't if the food calorie is over 100 :(

i think you are doing something wrong. there's no set limit by calories to what you can add. look at my carb meal..

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9225/clipboard01ip1.jpg

you can also just create a custom food called "sandwich" and enter the total calories/protein etc.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6158/clipboard02jf5.jpg

pintobean
08-13-2008, 11:20 AM
so you are saying the online calculators told you to take in 1900? and you thought it was too high and you ATE around 1200-1400.

--> Yes. I went to some site (not random but they were official enough) and calculated the calories based on weight and height etc. Anyhoo, right now I'm keeping it lower than 1600. I'm assuming it's ok.

so the question is

what is your daily calorie BURN / EXPENDITURE: ??? (purpose of the bodybugg)
we know the intake: 1200-1400

--> Hmm...well, without entering the food as of yet in the software it showed I burned around 2349 calories yesterday. With about 1/2 hour of brisk walk and some crunches for exercise. Once I enter the food I'll know better how much am I actually burning.

you can also just create a custom food called "sandwich" and enter the total calories/protein etc.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6158/clipboard02jf5.jpg

--> I was trying to enter custom food as like I mentioned I make food with so many ingredients it is just impossible to keep entering in it rather than just a whole item. And mine looked similar to what you have here in the picture and Maybe I entered something wrong...cuz I chose 100 gram as my serving size (even though I didn't know how many grams it weighed) and for calories I entered 355 (as that's what it came up to be when I had prepared it)...I left rest of the nutrition info blank as I did not know and it would not let me save. It kept coming back with error. I'll try again tonight and see what is going on.

I am sorry for all these questions and bugging everyone with my frustrations here. Thanks for all the help and support :)

ndnguy85
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
can you tell me your ingredients..and calories/amount you used..i can try to put it in mine and see what's going on.

as far as the calories you are burning..it has NOTHING to do with you entering foods or not. it's going to tell you that you burned X amount of calories regardless.

the only reason you need to enter your food is IF YOU WANT IT TO CALCULATE YOUR DEFICIT
(calories burned [the reason you wear your armband - calories you eat [reason you log your food])

if you don't care for the calorie deficit..then you don't need to enter in anything. just wear the arm band..and upload throughout the day to see how much you are burning. then you can just eat around 500-750 calories less.

we need to know when you upload your armband.

a day runs from 12AM to 11:59PM. so before you go to sleep, upload and see what your daily burn was because obviously you are not going to eat during your sleep.

for ex. if you sleep at 10pm, upload your armband and note the number. but remember, that you have 2 more hours left in that "day" before it starts over. so to be truly accurate upload it again in the morning the next day and look at yesterday's total.

you said you burned ~2350. so you can definitely eat around 1500-1600 calories and lose more than a lb a week.

want to lose more? get more active and increase your burn to say..2700 or something.

you can create a deficit in 2 ways..keep eating less or being more active. i would choose option 2. :-) because there's nothing wrong with being active but there's more issues with eating too little.

momof2gr8kids
08-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi all!

I received my armband Thursday, charged it up and wore it for the first full day Friday. I love it! I can tell already it is going to be so helpful to me...the feedback is great...I got the little monitor watch so I can check throughout the day my calories burned, steps and activity minutes/hours and if they are too low, I can do little things to increase them. For instance, my job is a desk job, so yesterday instead of taking the elevator to and from my 4th floor office in the a.m./p.m. and at lunch, I used the stairs. It's cool to see the immediate impact of that activity measured on my little watch.

It's also given me a rude awakening to how sedentary my job really is....I really had to make an effort to find reasons to get up and move during the day to keep the number rising. Intuitively, I've always known this, but in my work (I'm a CPA) I really need to think about moving or I could just sit in front of the computer and literally not move from one spot all day, yet still be productive in my job...that's a big issue for me. The armband just made it very real to me yesterday by putting a number to it....a very LOW number of calories burned!

Anyway, so I just worked harder at finding things that required me to get up...walked around and talked to people in person versus emailing them...did some filing, etc.

Another surprise was how many calories normal activities like mall shopping burned for me! I shopped yesterday afternoon after work for clothes and I can see a nice little spike in my graph! See, ladies, you can kill 2 birds with one stone! lol!

At the end of yesterday...I burned 1993 calories and consumed 1280. My goal is 2150/1400-1500 so I am on my way.

I go to a concert tonight (Rascal Flatts)...it will be interesting to see how much my jumping and dancing around burns! I CANNOT sit down during a RF concert. It is physically impossible for me...as a matter of fact, just thinking about it right now, I bet I'm getting a calorie burn spike! lol! Seriously, though...I usually end up leaving the concert totally exhausted...VIP seats from the fan club right up front and close up views (sometimes hand grabs) of Joe Don Rooney....sigh....... Ladies, if you don't know who I am talking about, you must check him out...especially the 'Melt' video! lol

ndnguy85
08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
great story.

it has made me more aware of my inactivity also.

it also comes in handy when you don't see changes on the scale. if you know you are burning more...and you are eating less..then just dont worry about it. sooner or later it will move.

pintobean
08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Just wanted to give you guys an update: :D
I love the sensewear even though right now I'm not using it for it's full potential (missing food entry). But it's going to change soon slowly. We are building our custom food list on there and loving it so far. Today I prepped food for the week for my lunches and breakfasts and now it's all in their DB. :) So next week should tell me the deficit info as well.

kuhljeanie
08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
hi everyone! looks like i missed some updates while i was gone. we're in the process of moving, and i didn't have time for meal planning, logging, long runs, or any of it. i didn't even upload because i couldn't find my cable. now i have, and all i can say is, if you're stuck in a plateau, try moving all your stuff from one city to another!!!

nice to hear how everyone's doing, too! :)

pintobean
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome back kuhljeanie :)

Ok last night was first day to enter everything I ate in SenseWear. Amazing to see how it calculates every nutrient info and tells you in a pie chart how much of what I ate. I was mostly focusing on calories on my food intake and yes while I was controlling fats as well (eating low fat or FF food) my main focus was total calories. I was happy to see the total fat, carbs etc I'm injesting during the day. I'll keep building my food DB with the Software. I also started entering my vitamin supplement calories in there, something I never calculated before. Amazing to see my Omega 3 pills add about 50 calories for me per day. I'm entering everything I put in my mouth from now on.

BTW I've lost about 2 lbs since I started wearing the SenseWear and I'm happy about it especially since I haven't been exercising as much past few weeks and last few days have not been the best eating habits. But I was able to see the amount of burn and my steps etc which kept me going :) I'm getting back to my workout routine so here's hoping for better results.

momof2gr8kids
08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Today is my 'official' weigh in day.
My regular scale is broken, though, so I've been using my wii fit for my weigh in....that means I wait until tonight after work to get the official results of week one.

So far this week, I have accomplished a few things with the sensewear...

1 - logged my food intake every day....and been more aware of where I need to improve my nutrients. I haven't been following a strict diet plan this week, rather just getting the feel of what my normal 'being good' days are like calorie and nutrient-wise. Overall, I need to increase my fruits & veggies, decrease my processed foods a bit and I should be ok with my caloric intake.

2-Had a very rude awakening to just how sedentary my desk job is...my burn rate just crawls while I'm at work! On the flip side, I also have seen how just small bits of activity add up throughout the day.

3-Confirmed something that I've suspected for a LONG time...I don't get enough sleep. While I'm laying down for 7-1/2 hours...I'm only actually sleeping for around 5....I need to work on getting to bed earlier and not hitting the snooze so much!

4-Learned that while daily formal exercise will add a chunk to the burn rate, it has to be combined with an active lifestyle to really pay dividends.

So far, I'm loving this little device. I also started the Beck Diet Solution Workbook today. I am hoping this time to make some permanent changes in my thinking and actions...this combo certainly seems promising. Anyone else had any experience with Beck?

kuhljeanie
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
beck! yes! absolutely! i saw that you were on that thread too - welcome! i've been posting there regularly for about 8 months now. it's powerful stuff.

so glad to hear about the things you're learning from your monitor. really great. cheers!

TheBeesKnees
08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I am over the moon with finding this thread!!!

Really happy to find out that sensewear/bodybugg is the same company. I emailed sensewear about their sales package and emailed Bodybugg about a possible release date. Got a response already that they don't have an exact date as of yet.

While I don't want to wait, I'm going to wait for it to come out so I can do a comparison for myself. Especially pricewise.

This is all so exciting...I'm hoping to use it with my own modified version of the body for life meal program and exercise routines.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

TheBeesKnees
08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I got a response from customer service:

"As far as looks go, the Bodybugg and Sensewear look the same except the version 3 Bodybugg will be black. I donít know what the exact difference is between the Bodybugg and Sensewear and the person I would ask has already gone home for today. I will forward your email to him to see if he can address this on Monday. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you"

This is so exciting. How's everyone's progress so far?

evelove
08-22-2008, 09:18 PM
:?:I just got the polar F4 and was so amazed at how low my calorie burn is for my workouts. I am in good shape and so speedwalking only gets my heart rate up to about 45% max and jogging only brings it up to 55%of max, so an hour at a moderate intensity, according to my HRM (~65% max) and I only burn 300 cals.

I am curious as to whether this is accurate or not bc I know the bodybugg and sensewear don't calculate based on heart rate but other factors that seem to make more sense, especially if you are in good shape. Has anyone compared the calories per hour using their hrm vs bodybugg or sensewear? I would love to know if the HRM is accurate or if I should go for the bodybugg. I found the HRM to actually discourage me from exercise bc according to it my calorie burn is so low (for example, 55 cal per mile running and 27 cals per mile walking, I'm 124pounds and 66'')

Thanks for any info! I really appreciate any tips, experience, insight:)

ndnguy85
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
at 60% of my hr, i burn like 150-180 calories when i walk for 45mins/~3 miles. thats like 50 calories a mile.

i think ur hrm is on target. how many calories did you expect to burn at a low intensity like that?

50-70% of your HR is considered moderate intensity.

hottierockstar
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
for having this thread. I woke up the other day with the random thought "i need a bodybugg" (i figure stuff that just randomly pops into my consciousness needs to be paid attention to) So with all the research i have been doing i am thoroughly obsessed and thoroughly appreciate all of your posts. I will definitely be getting the Sensewear unit over the BB for a number of reasons.
1. i definitely want the sleep option which even version 3 of BB will not have
2. footprint of the SW
3. cost...I just calculated it out and BB with less features is actually about the same if not more expensive depending on tax (even with "limited time offers" )than the SW pro unit.

from bodybugg site:
bodybugg armband, digital display, 3-month subscription = $349.90 For a limited time only! (which is version 2, doesn’t do sleep, would be taxed, and would be $99.95 for the additional 3 month subscription) So really over $449 without tax for the version2 bodybugg

Not much price diff purchasing from 24hour

I am feeling really obsessed with this right now but in a good excited way.
So happy for all the success everyone is having and thanks again for posting on this.
I will be talking to someone about getting the SW in the next few days...and then i can obsess on it being shipped LOL

mikki :)

evelove
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, I guess I thought that I would burn at least 250-300 an hour walking and 500-600 an hour jogging but the numbers are more like 140 for walking and 300 for jogging:(

The treadmill does ask for me to input my weight but it still way overestimates my calorie burn. Now, I can see why when I focus on diet and just increase my daily activity i have the best results. I would really have to train an excessive amount to have a significant impact on my weight but I love the way it makes me feel, so my mindset is actually healthier now.

The other bonus is that I found that I burn more calories doing circuit training than I do speedwalking and I burn almost as many as I do jogging, it has really inspired me to do the circuits bc it is getting the best of both worlds.

I realize now how much bad info is out there about exercise and weight loss. I can see now why people give up so quickly, they don't work out hard enough, long enough or consistantly enough and if they are on a low calorie diet, it makes intense exercise nearly impossible and counterproductive.

Thanks again for the insight!

pintobean
08-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Still going good with SenseWear and I am glad I made the purchase. It is definitely motivating me to eat and workout better.

I have a Q though...I'll be going on a vacation soon for about 8 days. This will be my first vacation using SenseWear. I would like to know how you guys managed inputing restaurant food in the software? Assuming that the software does not contain all restaurant food nutrition information and at the same time unfortunately not all restaurants have nutrition information available online. What did you guys do in these circumstances? Especially while on vacation. I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you :)

momof2gr8kids
08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I think you'll find the database is pretty extensive.
But if you really want extra insurance, you could have a calorie guide, either online or book, like calorie king's guide....to look up common restaurant meals or prepared foods that might not be pre-entered in the sensewear database. Then you can use the nutrition info in the guide to enter a custom food in the sensewear database by clicking on "enter nutrition information" as you are logging your meals.

That has worked pretty well for me so far. In most cases, I've been able to just break down the ingredients in what I am eating out, for instance....if I had a club sandwich, I would enter ham, turkey, bread, (bacon..if I ate it), and whatever condiments I ate. I haven't so far run into too many instances where the restaurant items aren't in the database. I actually feel better entering restaurant foods this way, because I can better control the exact portion of each item that the sensewear software is calculating. For instance.....if the software had a 'club sandwich' item, and it included mayo, it might include a tablespoon or a teaspoon. If I enter the individual items, I can enter exactly the amount of mayo I actually ate, which can make a huge difference, especially when you are talking about high calorie foods.

Another thing that I generally try to do at restaurants is to not get too 'fancy' with my ordering....skip the sauces, etc.....Number one, they are too hard to figure out nutrition-wise, and number two, they are probably not conducive to weight loss/maintenance anyway. Stick with grilled, roasted, etc. Order extra veggies, etc....don't be afraid to ask how an item is prepared or to ask for it to be prepared in a more healthful way....you are paying...and most of the time, it is not a problem at all. The simpler, the better, really...you'll have an easier time finding your items in the database, and you'll know that you ate 'cleaner' in general. And if you do splurge a little bit...(it is vacation after all!)....make sure you add some extra movement to your vacation itinerary to burn it off!

I'm also a big one for taking bites, licks and tastes of things throughout the day...and I have been trying to be diligent about recording those bites and licks in the sensewear software because I CAN. I love how I can record a few grams of something....it makes me get honest with myself....and it has helped me see how much those BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) really add up! I can snack my way to +10 lbs like it was my job!

kuhljeanie
08-25-2008, 10:27 AM
hi everyone! glad to see some new faces. :) evelove, i was shocked to find out that jogging, for me, burned a ton MORE calories than the HR was calculating. one thing that might come out of using a sensewear/bb monitor as opposed to HR is that you tend to find ways to work incidental exercise into your day, and building more muscle mass to increase your overall metabolic rate becomes more important too. just a thought. :)

ndnguy85
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
1. i definitely want the sleep option which even version 3 of BB will not have
2. footprint of the SW
3. cost...I just calculated it out and BB with less features is actually about the same if not more expensive depending on tax (even with "limited time offers" )than the SW pro unit.

from bodybugg site:
bodybugg armband, digital display, 3-month subscription = $349.90 For a limited time only! (which is version 2, doesnít do sleep, would be taxed, and would be $99.95 for the additional 3 month subscription) So really over $449 without tax for the version2 bodybugg

the additional 99.95 = extra YEAR of subscription. you are already getting the initial 3 month with your 349.

to the sensewear ladies, how much is it monthly again?

TheBeesKnees
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Good morning...this is the email I rec'd from a Sensewear rep:

Thank you for contacting BodyMedia. Our current special includes our new SenseWear Mini armband and display is $399. If you haven't visited our website, please click this link: (sensewear website) for additional information and a 'See how it works' video. The web application subscription, which is required for armband use, is $20/month. An order form has been attached for your convenience - you may complete it and email or fax back in to order. We try to ship within three business days. Thank you again for contacting BodyMedia.

In all honesty, I won't mind the 20.00 a month if I see real results. Trying to shift from retail therapy to getting physical activity instead will be cheaper in the long run. This girl can SHOP! I'm a scary shopper, so I'd rather use my time and money aiming for a recovered body (One that I once knew) instead of retail therapy that ends with me being frustrated and further depressed while trying on clothes in the fitting room of a store. I guess in the end, I would benefit from that monthly expense $20.00 vs. sporadic retail therapy need (abusing my wallet).

ndnguy85
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
oh man it's 20 a month?

i was planning to switch over to the sensewear side after my initial 3 months were up (end of october). i want the sleep function and the sensewear size. i hope the new bodybugg will at least be smaller..even though it probably won't introduce any new features. but i dont know if that's a good idea since in the long run sensewear is going to cost a lot more.

it's 400 for sensewear and 6 months subscription. additional year would cost 240 @20 per month?!

bodybugg is 350 with 3 months. additional year is only 100.

TheBeesKnees
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, the 400 clams is for both the Sensewear miniarmband and display. Otherwise, the armband itself is 349.00.

Hope that helps. In the meantime, I'm going to start scrappin' up my pennies together to save for this sucker.

Side question for those that have the sensewear miniarmband - Did anyone get it with the display? If so, does it also double as a hrm to help you maintain a steady hr during cardio?

I still have my polar f11 and chest strap, and before I go all crazy and sell it on ebay...thought I'd inquire here first :)

TheBeesKnees
08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Just received another reply from the great rep at sensewear:

We are advising new customers to only purchase a month subscription at this time as we know there will be a pricing change coming in the near future resulting in a lower subscription cost to you. Please feel free to email anytime with questions - that's what we are here for! Have a great day!

I really want one now. :cross fingers: if I print a copy and place it under DH's pillow, maybe he'll get the hint.

kuhljeanie
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
i got the mini sensewear with the display. sorry, no HRM display - but you can use the trip function to get a kinda-sorta take on the calories per minute. it's not accurate but i use it instead of the HRM.

ndnguy85
08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Just received another reply from the great rep at sensewear:

We are advising new customers to only purchase a month subscription at this time as we know there will be a pricing change coming in the near future resulting in a lower subscription cost to you. Please feel free to email anytime with questions - that's what we are here for! Have a great day!

I really want one now. :cross fingers: if I print a copy and place it under DH's pillow, maybe he'll get the hint.

now we are talking!

sensewear is definitely the better product as of now but i am waiting till v3 bodybugg to see if that gap will be smaller.

hottierockstar
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
the additional 99.95 = extra YEAR of subscription. you are already getting the initial 3 month with your 349.

I was basing my calculations on the price that was posted here which included 6 months of subscription and the bb site only offers 3 months with initial purchase and
Web-Only bodybugg Program (no armband)
$99.95 For a limited time only!

* Online food logging with custom meal plans
* Estimated energy expenditure data based on your lifestyle
* 3-month subscription to the web-based program
* 1 phone session with a bodybugg coach

I don't see a one year sub option on the bb site.

Sharon (the nice customer service lady at Bodymedia) advised the one month at a time for the SW sub as they are for certain lowering the price she just didn't know how much or when.

hottierockstar
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
In talking with a rep and the customer service lady the bb will never have a sleep function and I am *very* interested in that feature.
Based on the retail prices (not ebay prices) of the version 2 BB I don't think that the version 3 is going to be any cheaper than the sensewear (altho it would be really cool to have a black one)
Pretty sure the month-to-month sub to the bb site is $14.95 so even if the SW site stays at $20 I'm down but i am sure when they figure out their pricing they will have 3/6/9/12 month packages available :)
A friend of mine works at a gym and i mentioned the SW to her last night and they are actually getting the SW (over the BB) for retail and then even having 15 units on hand for their members to use. Pretty sweet huh?
I was going to order today but then it would be here by the end of the week and i am going out of town. (how could i possibly go out of town knowing it is waiting to come to it's new home and for me to get started? LOL)
I think i will order on friday to get it around wednesday of next week :)

pintobean
08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
...Side question for those that have the sensewear miniarmband - Did anyone get it with the display? If so, does it also double as a hrm to help you maintain a steady hr during cardio?

- I have the display for the SenseWear and I wear it to work on my belt loop (left side). It's convenient that way. It's just a display unit basically showing (if you want to see) what you're burning, # of steps taken etc since all info is in the armband it's hard to see it unless you upload it. But the display lets you see all that if you want to keep track.

- Although I've been experiencing problems with the display. It goes out of sync for me quite often and it's annoying sometimes. It's within 3 ft of the recommended distance from the armband and yet it goes out of sync often for me. Not to mention I have to push the button on the armband numerous times to sync it. So I don't know if I got a faulty unit or if others are having issues with syncing also or not?

pintobean
08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I have 1 more Q regarding the calcium entry in SenseWear Software. Mine shows negative numbers for daily allowance for some reason.

For example, my daily allowance is 1000 mg of calcium per day and it calculates (based on my daily food intake and calcium supplement) -450 mg. I don't understand why it is negative when I know I'm taking all my calcium thru supplement and various foods I eat. Or what does this negative number represent? Does anyone have similar issues?

ndnguy85
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
In talking with a rep and the customer service lady the bb will never have a sleep function and I am *very* interested in that feature.

Based on the retail prices (not ebay prices) of the version 2 BB I don't think that the version 3 is going to be any cheaper than the sensewear (altho it would be really cool to have a black one)

Pretty sure the month-to-month sub to the bb site is $14.95 so even if the SW site stays at $20 I'm down but i am sure when they figure out their pricing they will have 3/6/9/12 month packages available :)

sensewear is not even close in terms monthly pricing compared to the bb.

you save at the minimum 5 bucks a month if you do "month to month." if you purchase 1 year..thats only 8 bucks a month! that's a lot better than 20 for sensewear. so we will see how the new monthly pricing stacks up for sensewear.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3752/clipboard01iw3.jpg

jmanussier
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
The bodybugg V3 will be available in mid to late November, its guts are exactly the same as the new senseware device, but the applications you interface are different. The V3 and the current Senseware are smaller than the current model of the bodybugg, and has a rechargeable battery which you dock at your computer when you want to recharge it, and I believe it has an extra accelerometer which could theoretically make it more accurate. It is splash resistant, but as of now does not have a depth rating (wouldn't do any good as the algorithims are not set for water activities and the sensors would be all off as water dissipates heat much differently than does air).

TheBeesKnees
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Perfect timing! That's around my birthday so hopefully I can scrape up some change and then compare prices of the bb vs sw monthly.

In the meantime, I'll rely on ye ol' polar f11. The plus of all this is, by the time I hit my goal weight I can still use whichever one I use to help maintain. :carrot:

jmanussier
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
The kewl thing about the bodybugg is that you can use the "based on views" once you are in a maintenance phase and just weigh yourself each week, and then it tells you on average how many calories youhave eaten per day. That is what I currently do and if I have gained a pound I can tell if it is from eating too much or lack of mevement. I know people who have used that function that do not want to log their food, and still use it to lose weight, but I would not recommend it until you are in a maintenance phase.

I was OCD about it when I used it to lose just under 30 lbs in a few months; I carried a mail scale in my breifcase when I travelled and even measured my TCBY in the airport, ate the yogurt and measured it again to subtract the weight of the cup and spoon. I was not right in the head.

I am not certain if the new interface for the Senseware program does the same, but it really simple A+B=C and if I know A and C I can solve for B.

A=calories burned
B=calories consumed
C=weight change 1lb of fat is about 3,500 calories

ndnguy85
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
The bodybugg V3 will be available in mid to late November, its guts are exactly the same as the new senseware device, but the applications you interface are different. The V3 and the current Senseware are smaller than the current model of the bodybugg, and has a rechargeable battery which you dock at your computer when you want to recharge it, and I believe it has an extra accelerometer which could theoretically make it more accurate. It is splash resistant, but as of now does not have a depth rating (wouldn't do any good as the algorithims are not set for water activities and the sensors would be all off as water dissipates heat much differently than does air).

hey thanks for the info!

so we now know CURRENT sensewear wms = V3 bodybugg and the new bugg will have some of the features from the senswear such as rechargeable battery, smaller form factor and extra accelerometer.

but it won't have the sleep function.

do you know if apex will upgrade it's web interface? i want something new..haha

as far as sensewear is concerned, we are all waiting for the new pricing system.

i also wonder if it will be cheap to upgrade to the v3 bugg.

lots of questions. :D

hottierockstar
08-28-2008, 04:33 AM
sensewear is not even close in terms monthly pricing compared to the bb.

you save at the minimum 5 bucks a month if you do "month to month." if you purchase 1 year..thats only 8 bucks a month! that's a lot better than 20 for sensewear. so we will see how the new monthly pricing stacks up for sensewear.

I'm not trying to argue your point of view.
I did say the month to month pricing and for *me* having the sleep tracking is worth the additional $5/month..which is pretty close in my book :)

TheBeesKnees
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Eep. The only scary thing to me, is that I literally sleep for only 4.5 - 5hrs max during the week. I'm a bit nocturnal and function way better in the evenings.

Naia
09-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi! This thread was so informative!

It seems like the consensus is the Sensewear is better, but more expensive?

Does everyone feel like it was money well spent, or have there been any negatives?

Sensewear emailed me their order form, and I'm leaning towards getting one... but I'm a member of 24hr Fitness and they're always pushing the BodyBugg. I just thought I'd double check with everyone before I spent all the money :)

Thanks!

pintobean
09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
... Does everyone feel like it was money well spent, or have there been any negatives?...Thanks!

I bought sensewear few weeks ago and I wish I'd bought it sooner. Whether you buy Bodybugg or SenseWear is up to you :) They're both very similar and BB is coming out with a newer version soon. I have been using SW religiously and logging EVERY food or vitamins I eat. Yes I could have done it before without the sensewear but this makes it easy and does a whole lot more. I can feel my attitude change too towards lots of things. I'm not afraid to take more steps now just so I could add to my number of steps per day :) I can see how many calories I burn per day without much exercise or activity...I felt that was really good to see. I can see how much fat or sodium I'm consuming per day for example. Also read this entire thread and couple of folks have posted their sample reports for you to see how it shows the data. This thread helped me make my decision :D

So I'd say definitely buy it...it's worth it :)

ndnguy85
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi! This thread was so informative!

It seems like the consensus is the Sensewear is better, but more expensive?

Does everyone feel like it was money well spent, or have there been any negatives?

Sensewear emailed me their order form, and I'm leaning towards getting one... but I'm a member of 24hr Fitness and they're always pushing the BodyBugg. I just thought I'd double check with everyone before I spent all the money :)

Thanks!

absolutely get the sensewear IF:
a. you want the sleep function
b. you want a little bit more powerful web interface/reports

get the version 2 bodybugg (current one) if:
a. you don't care about form factor/size
b. cost, it's going to be cheaper because it's older

quite frankly i don't know why you would want to wait for the version 3 bodybugg. it's not going to be much cheaper than sensewear anyway. the only reason before you would have wanted to wait was because of lower monthly cost.

as people have reported earlier, the monthly cost of sensewear is probably going to change which should close the gap with bodybugg.

as far as regrets or negatives..nothing so far!

i mean i wake up in the morning, logon and plan my 5 meals..and i am done. shows me everything i need in terms of the macronutrient ratios and all the good stuff.

right now i am back to bulking up and it's going to be interesting this time around with the bodybugg. i am eating ~150cals over what my bugg tells me i burned for the day.

hope that helps:)

Naia
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you!! That helped quite a bit!

I think I'm going to go with the SW, for the size and the sleep function. I really like the idea of being able to see everything. And after reading all your guys's posts, I'm excited!

Thanks again!!

TheBeesKnees
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I think I'm going to go ballistic...I might just grab the v2 right now up on Ebay.

Now I'm trying to distract myself from doing that.

ndnguy85
09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I think I'm going to go ballistic...I might just grab the v2 right now up on Ebay.

Now I'm trying to distract myself from doing that.

be careful with the ebay ones. if they are not brand new with a brand new never used subscription..you are going to run into a lot of trouble.

TheBeesKnees
09-02-2008, 10:57 PM
You know...thank you for that. I can now sit back for a second and hold out for the v3.

jmanussier
09-04-2008, 07:02 PM
If you want shiny new hotness...get the Senseware now; that is the newer smaller armband than the current bodybugg. They should both be equal in size and how they collect the data, but the Senseware has the sleep function if you need it even after the bodybugg V3 comes out in November.

The bodybugg is really geared for weight management and gives you some of the tools like the tutorials and the goal setting functions the Senseware does not. The future of the interfaces will really begin to differ within the next year, but for now they do not... i think you can also register your armband from one to the other program (but don't quote me on that).

ndnguy85
09-04-2008, 11:52 PM
The future of the interfaces will really begin to differ within the next year, but for now they do not... i think you can also register your armband from one to the other program (but don't quote me on that).

interfaces for both sensewear and bodybugg will change?

and also you mean i would able to use a bodybugg with the sensewear interface? does sensewear even sell the interface part of it seperately?

Naia
09-05-2008, 02:08 AM
I bought the Sensewear! It's shipping tomorrow. I'm excited! :D

kuhljeanie
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
ditto all those cheering and raving. i have the sexy sw with the sleep function, and it's made a big difference in that i think about sleep targets with the same seriousness i used to reserve for calories. a good thing indeed!

rachelf
09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Glad I found this thread. And also, HI I am new here :-)

Though, I do have a question about the SenseWear version.
I know the BodyBugg does NOT run on any Mac's (unless running parallels/bootcamp, etc), and I have been fed the, "we are integrating" line for the past 9 months. Does anyone know if SenseWear works on a Mac??
I'm a current Bugg user and I do run parallels, but I would love to NOT have to.

I also just got the version 3 from SenseWear so I plan to put my current Bugg on ebay, or pm me if someone wants to take it off my hands. Sorry if this shameless plugging is not allowed... lol...

TheBeesKnees
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
In meantime...how is everyone doing progress wise with their bodybugg/sensewear?

I can't wait to shout out when I have one as well :)

rachelf
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM

For me, it has been both. I purchased it and kept at it, eventually losing around 10 lbs. But then got lazy about it.
So just like with everything else concerning weight loss tools, if you don't work at it, it won't be worth the money.

The only difference between the sensewear and the body bugg is that sensewear is now smaller, waterproof, tracks sleeping habits and has a fourth axis to measure.
BodyBugg's software does not do the sleep tracking but otherwise does everything sensewear does.

The only answer I have unanswered is mac compatibility, which since it's both from the same company, something tells me that both Sensewear and Bodybugg are only windows and internet explorer compatible.

I also tried spoofing my browser forcing bodybugg to think I am running both IE and windows, it did not work... which makes me a sad panda :(
I just don't get all this operating system snobbery. meh.

ndnguy85
09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
the problem is the driver. without the driver, the bodybugg or the wireless updater is not recognized by the operating system. and without that, the website doesnt work.

the bodybugg is not some miracle pill to lose weight. if you have been tracking your calories daily, eating right and exercising..but you are left wondering..how many calories do i really need?? ..then it will help you.

right now i am using it to bulk up. trying to gain about half a lb a week..so i eat just a tad bit more than what my daily burn is.

rachelf
09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
the problem is the driver. without the driver, the bodybugg or the wireless updater is not recognized by the operating system. and without that, the website doesnt work.

As a side note, it is not just the driver. The website, even when you fool their server to think you are running IE and Vista, still does not load past the browser test page.
It's a shame because it would be a little easier to be able to update what you eat with out having to load parallels or boot camp.
Oh wells.

kuhljeanie
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
it ain't OS snobbery, believe me. i kept trying to install the sensewear UI on a Vista 64-bit compatible OS. no dice. they told me it would be coming sometime in november.

i've lost around 15 lbs on it so far. but the real victory is that i no longer view my food choices as a judgemental commentary on how i'm doing as a human being (e.g. good or bad.) it's just calories in and calories out. FINALLY! i get it now. :)

rachelf
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I was reading the rest of this thread and a couple of people mentioned some curiosity about why sensewear/bodybugg does not offer a non-web version of the software. I have confirmed the existence of such software and the pricing, and it is pretty outrageous. It makes the monthly fee sound so nice in comparison.

Anywhoo, the two product lines are WMS (weight management solution, which is the consumer version, and what apex/24hr fitness sells) and BMS (body monitoring solution) that uses the non-web software called InnerView. From what I have seen on InnerView 4.1 version (they might be at version 6), InnerView does not have ability to track food intake, but does everything else like sleep, caloric expenditure, and graphs of your caloric output through out the day/week/month, it also does not connect/detect the consumer version of the band, at least it didn't with mine. And it also dumps all the data files into an .xls type file that gets thrown into a directory within the sensewear install folder.

The price difference is HUGE. For BMS version, the armband alone costs $950 and the software is $2450, versus the $431.95 WMS version, which includes shipping, a month of the software, armband, and watch monitor.

These are all pricing for the sensewear v3 armband, and NOT bodybugg or sensewear version 2.

Anyway, I guess if you all don't want to pay a $15.00 a month membership fee, you can always shell out $3,000
:dizzy:

kuhljeanie
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
whoa! quite a difference.

an interesting business model...wonder if the pricing difference has anything to do with physician practices and how they manage their budgets.

browncat
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone! I've had my SenseWear for a little over a week now, but I just found you guys, and I am so excited!

Talk about really putting something into perceptive, I finally got the concept of calories in - calories out. It can't get any more black and white than when you are using your armband and display. I burn 2600 calories a day with a 1000 calorie deficit, I can see right away if I am not going to make my targets and adjust accordingly. My stats show 3500 calorie deficit for last week, and the scales showed I lost two pounds, it was dead on! The armband is not a quick fix for me, it's still hard to make the choice to go to the gym, take a walk or not eat all 1600 calories to make my targets.

Glad to be here, and can't wait to hear more about everyone's Bodybugg/SenseWear experiences.

TheBeesKnees
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Fantastic and welcome!!!

ndnguy85
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
one thing i would advice you guys with large deficits is to make it a little bit narrower. everyone is bound to hit a plateau at some point and if you go all out right now..you wont have any room for change.

make small changes now and increase if you see the weight loss slowing.

i really wouldnt advice anyone to lose over a lb. it's easier to do, you dont to starve urself, your body adjusts better in terms of loose skin and stuff.

3500 = ~1 lb of fat loss on the scale.

rachelf
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
one thing i would advice you guys with large deficits is to make it a little bit narrower. everyone is bound to hit a plateau at some point and if you go all out right now..you wont have any room for change.

make small changes now and increase if you see the weight loss slowing.

i really wouldnt advice anyone to lose over a lb. it's easier to do, you dont to starve urself, your body adjusts better in terms of loose skin and stuff.
Good tip ndnguy85.
I recently (a week ago) tried to do a 750 deficit and I was hungry, going over my calories and stuck in the cycle of trying to make up for it by working out a little more.
I'm back to 500 and I have been hitting both my calorie in and calorie out deficits :)

EDIT: I got the sensewear mini armband today. So far, I don't like the fact that the mini version does not have a replaceable battery. It is rechargeable through USB, but I liked using rechargeable AAA batteries much better. I also don't know what the process would be if the device's battery goes completely flat.
It is smaller though, which is nice. You cant see it at all, unless you're in some skin tight clothes.

The sensewear's online software also doesn't have pre-made daily menu's like the bodybugg's does, but has the module to track your sleep. Everything else is pretty much the same.

ndnguy85
09-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Good tip ndnguy85.
I recently (a week ago) tried to do a 750 deficit and I was hungry, going over my calories and stuck in the cycle of trying to make up for it by working out a little more.
I'm back to 500 and I have been hitting both my calorie in and calorie out deficits :)

EDIT: I got the sensewear mini armband today. So far, I don't like the fact that the mini version does not have a replaceable battery. It is rechargeable through USB, but I liked using rechargeable AAA batteries much better. I also don't know what the process would be if the device's battery goes completely flat.
It is smaller though, which is nice. You cant see it at all, unless you're in some skin tight clothes.

The sensewear's online software also doesn't have pre-made daily menu's like the bodybugg's does, but has the module to track your sleep. Everything else is pretty much the same.

awesome stuff.

the only reason i want the sensewear is for the smaller size (who said bigger is always better??) and the sleep module.

i never use the premade meals so it would be good to get it out of the way.

does anyone know when the monthly price changes will happen for sensewear?

browncat
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Justin, you were right. This last week has been a lot harder than the first week. I am taking your advise and have narrowed my deficits this next week. I certainly do not want any more loose skin and stuff! I think I will be able to hit these new targets without going crazy.

When I ordered my armband, I was told that they were aiming towards the first of the year to reduce the monthly subscription price. You do get a six months subscription free.

BTW, I found the sleep module not only insightful, but pretty accurate. I know I don't always sleep the night through, but I had no idea that I actually stayed awake as much as did. Probably explains the good days and the bad days.

pintobean
09-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Just curious if anyone is having an irritated skin reaction to the metal on the sensewear? I don't know if I'm reacting to the metal or just a combination of sweat and skin contact...my skin is irritated where the metal makes contact. It's itchy and red there...and gets worse when I scratch. I have to keep switching places on the arm to put it on cuz it gets worse if I leave it on that same irritated spot.

I am generally allergic to most metals except these metals...18k or above gold, stainless steel, silver. And I think the sensewear metal is stainless steel unless I'm mistaken? So I should be ok technically. And I don't have it on too tight either. And I clean it periodically too.

Just wondering? :(

browncat
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I have had some skin irritation too, I move the sensor a little bit this way or a little bit that way so it isn't always in the same place. From what I understand, the metal is stainless steel and that all of the components were allergy tested. I think the irritation is because the sensor rests so securely on your arm that is no air circulation between it and your skin. I do know you are not supposed to use any lotion or sunscreen under the sensor area.

How is everyone doing with their Bugg or Senswear?

pintobean
09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks Browncat...glad to know it's not just me. Hmm...about the lotion or sunscreen I tried not to use any directly under or above the sensewear but last week in FL on vacay I did put sunscreen around the sensewear but not under the metal part or above the armband and it seemed some seeped thru to the metal area could be cuz of sweat I think. I hope I didn't damage it. So far it seems it's working fine I guess. :(

TheBeesKnees
09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
If you go to the 24 hour fitness website, the Biggest Loser winner Ali Vincent is wearing what looks like the bodybugg v3.

Gracious....how much longer again till the release? Does anyone else want to try and email customer service? I've pestered them so much already from anticipation.

I think at this point...the difference is price is what's stalling me from making any purchase. GAR!!!

browncat
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
That does look like what Apex will be selling as the new BodyBugg v3. I heard from BodyMedia which makes the BodyBugg for Apex to distribute, say that the new BodyBugg v3 would be black and it would not have the sleep module or some of the food tracking options that the SenseWear has. The size and shape are identical to my SenseWear, except my SenseWear is a light gray color.

I also heard from another source that the new BodyBugg v3 would probably be available maybe late this year. I would think that with the new Biggest Loser show debuting, that they would have had them available now. It would make more marketing sense.

ibeforej
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I put a call in to Body Bugg today and the only thing the rep could confirm was that V3 was set to come out this Fall. Even the specs are a mystery right now (including possible compatibility with the Mac.)

I'm really torn right now- I love the look of the assumed BB3 (the one on Ali's arm on the 24 hour Fitness website) and it definitely looks smaller than the SenseWear- what do you guys think?

I'm really torn- without knowing the specs and a specific release date on the BB3, it's hard for me to decide whether to wait or go ahead and get the SenseWear (I can't bring myself to get the BB2- it's just too big IMHO.) I'm doing a weight loss challenge with family and the prize is $8K. If I lose (percentage-wise) more than my 3 family members, I get the whole pot. I've been in 2nd place for the past 4 weeks and I'm thinking wearing a sensor would give me a distinct advantage.

BTW, I also joined NS a few weeks ago- while I'm really pleased with that program, I feel like I really need to have better knowledge and control over my activity levels. I'm a SAHM with a 19 month old, but I'm definitely moving less than I did when I worked FT.

browncat
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM
ibeforej - the BB3 on Ali's arm in the 24 hour fitness ad is exactly the same as my SenseWear one, the only difference is the color and that the BB3 will do less than the SenseWear model. It is not any smaller.

Naia
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't had any reaction to the metal, but I have had a slight reaction to the junction where the strap meets the plastic casing. Just minor, and I move it around now and then so one place on my arm doesn't get all irritated :)

I am loving the SW. It's small enough that no one notices it when I have clothes on over it, and I really love the feedback! Like just how many steps I've taken, and seeing when I burn calories. It's funny, I can actually see when I walk up the stairs to work.

It's definitely motivating me to get moving -- I want to reach my daily goals!

ibeforej
09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
ibeforej - the BB3 on Ali's arm in the 24 hour fitness ad is exactly the same as my SenseWear one, the only difference is the color and that the BB3 will do less than the SenseWear model. It is not any smaller.

Awesome! Ali's arms are pretty small and all of the videos on SenseWear made the device look kind of big.

Hmmmm- maybe I'll be able to go ahead and get the SenseWear then if it's just a difference in color.... :)

rachelf
09-18-2008, 11:35 PM
the new BodyBugg v3 would be black and it would not have the sleep module or some of the food tracking options that the SenseWear has. The size and shape are identical to my SenseWear, except my SenseWear is a light gray color.

It would make sense that the BodyBugg v3 will not have sleep module since v2 currently does not have it while sensewear v2 does. As far as BodyBugg food tracking, it's all manual tracking (food diary) and so is sensewear v3.

I'll post photo's of the size difference between BodyBugg v2 and SenseWear v3 in a bit, to be honest, the only difference between these two is size (about 40% smaller) and Sensewear can track sleep. Thats it.

Software wise, BodyBugg's online system likes to sell you a lot of their supplemental food, which was a turn off for me, and kind of tacky (like going to eat at Cheese cake Factory and having to look at all the advertisement's on their menu!) and doesn't have sleep tracking for their v2 band's, I don't think they will change that for their v3 bands...

If you're worried about cost, buy a less expensive v2 in sacrifice for size, if you don't care and are a smaller person, buy a v3. I'm 5'3 and 140lbs, the v2 band was pretty bulky on me and was difficult to sleep in. v3 is a lot more comfortable.

And also, v3 is said to be water proof... I wore mine in the shower once and now it does a bad sounding red flashing beep when I plug it in. It did it for two days and tracked about 600-700 calories less and at times looked like it wasn't tracking calories at all (showing 1 instead of my regular 1.2-1.3 calories/min) for a few hours at a time. It also wasn't tracking any steps I made at all. It seems to have stopped now, so just a word of advice, even if it says water proof, don't wear it in the shower. :D

Lastly, I wear my armband religiously, no skin irritation here at all. My BF tried to wear the v2 armband and was itchy/irritated after two hours. Weird thing is, I can't stand wearing necklaces, bracelets, earrings etc because they irritate my skin and makes me feel trapped, but the armband doesn't have that effect on me at all.

Ok, think I should quit my post now :-) I'll post photos when my camera battery charges.

ibeforej
09-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I just put in my order for the Sensewear- the CSR told me that the BBv3 wasn't due out until early 2009, so I decided it was time to take the plunge. If it comes out earlier, I'll just have to kick myself then. :)

Also, I'll have to go back and read the posts, but I think I got a good deal on mine- it was only $354 (includes unit, digital display, and 6 months website access). With shipping and tax it was $394 (I live in PA, so I got charged 6% tax). I'll update you guys with the breakdown once I get my e-mail receipt- I'm just going by what I remember during the phone call. She said that it was $454 within the past few days and they had just dropped the price.

The rep also confirmed that the monthly website access pricing would be going down to around $120 a year any day now to compete with the Body Bugg pricing.

ndnguy85
09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
I just put in my order for the Sensewear- the CSR told me that the BBv3 wasn't due out until early 2009, so I decided it was time to take the plunge. If it comes out earlier, I'll just have to kick myself then. :)

Also, I'll have to go back and read the posts, but I think I got a good deal on mine- it was only $354 (includes unit, digital display, and 6 months website access). With shipping and tax it was $394 (I live in PA, so I got charged 6% tax). I'll update you guys with the breakdown once I get my e-mail receipt- I'm just going by what I remember during the phone call. She said that it was $454 within the past few days and they had just dropped the price.

The rep also confirmed that the monthly website access pricing would be going down to around $120 a year any day now to compete with the Body Bugg pricing.

oh wow..only 354 now? i wonder why the drop in price? sensewear v4??? :D

honestly why would anyone get the bodybugg now? if you are going to be paying around the same price..why not get the better product which is clearly the sensewear?

movingoninlife
09-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I had seen the BB watching BL but hadn't really thought much about it because I just went through a divorce. A couple of weekends ago I met someone new who had one and was quite obsessed with it (fitness trainer and brought her own food to this event and skipped stuff so she could do aerobics in her room). But I was quite intrigued. I LOVE numbers but hate counting calories. I've done WW online and fitday and spark but what was always missing was really understanding my metabolism (ruined through growing up watching a bulimic mother and eat horrid foods like her and then starve myself when she told me I was fat). So... I started looking and found a reference to SW and did a search on that and found this forum. I had called SW early last week and thought I'd actually have the unit by now....

fast forward, read this whole thread over the last few days (single mom and fulltime worker - it took me a while) and finally also got my order form via email (after I left a message saying "I'm X and in X city and called last week and emailed last week and no response etc etc.")

Then I look on here tonight and someone posts that they got their V3 for $354 with 6 months access. OMG. I went back to my order form and here are the stats I got today!! yes, TODAY!!

Order form says WMS Consumer Order Form v4
Effective August 20, 2008

armband (mini) w/display (doesn't say jack about 6 months subscription) $399.00
1 month $20
3 months $60
6 months $120
12 months $260

no lie... not $240.....

Not only did they not go DOWN in price for subscription, their order form is wrong and I think it is still $20 a month with no discount for a longer term.

Also, the order form has accessories and replacements referenced such as wireless communicator, straps in small, medium and large and clips and display strap... none of them described, just on there.

I'm not impressed with the customer service or clarity but will probably still buy. I just will ask lots of questions as to why someone got one for $354 on 9/19 if the order form I got was effective 8/20.

What am I missing here?

jbaby13
09-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I would love one of the Sensewear.... but I can't even get a hold of anyone. I have called all last week and left a couple of messages, plus I have emailed and have heard nothing. I wish they just had an order form on their website. Anyone know any tips to getting a hold of someone?

movingoninlife
09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Anyone know any tips to getting a hold of someone?

I had called and emailed but I didn't say where I was from. So when I called yesterday morning I said "I called and left a message last week. I emailed last week. My name is X and I am in X city and am very interested in the SW. Please have the X city rep contact me via phone or email."

Then I got the same text in my email that was quoted in an earlier post in this thread:

Thank you for contacting BodyMedia. Our current special includes our new SenseWear Mini armband and display is $399. If you haven't visited our website, please click this link: The web application subscription, which is required for armband use, is $20/month. An order form has been attached for your convenience - you may complete it and email or fax back in to order. We try to ship within three business days. Thank you again for contacting BodyMedia." excepting the change in price and please note that the subscription is NOT included in the higher price!

1. I don't call this a special if someone else paid far less on the same day and
2. the order form isn't clear at all

ibeforej
09-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that there are some discrepancies in price right now.

Here's what I did- called at 9am and left a VM. Called again at 10am and got VM again. I then called back and actually reached a rep. I may have just gotten lucky, but since they don't have a waiting system set up with their phone lines, I figured that I would just keep on calling back till I got a rep. So, while I got lucky on immediate attempt #2, I would have done it 50x's if I hadn't reached anyone.

Once I got a hold of a rep, she said that she had gotten a verbal OK to charge me the cheaper price, but wanted to confirm with someone else that it was OK to process it through the system. She called me back 5 minutes later and gave me the cheaper price.

I'll post all of the actual cost breakdowns once I receive a receipt- I'm supposed to get one via e-mail when the unit ships out on Thursday.

thinkingthin
09-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I've been studying the BB and SW for some time now--and frequent this post to see what others are saying. (Thanks everyone!)

I called SW and left a VM and have not had a call. The same day, I sent an email and I finally (on 9/18) received a reply after waiting 10 days. My email contained the exact form that movingoninlife received. I fired off a reply asking why the 12-month subscription was $260! And if they were going to lower the subscription rate (since I'd read that on this forum as well as others). Based on their customer service performance, I don't expect a reply until 9/29....

I'm really interested in the SW model, but I certainly want the price that ibeforej got! Perhaps I need to be as persistent with calling them every hour! I hope I get the same CSR that has the $354 price for the band, watch, and 6-month subscription. I'll let you know how I fare....

No matter what, they are so darned expensive and they wrangle you with the perpetual subscription. I just keep wondering if it's something that I'll be excited about for a while, but then it will go the way of so many gadgets I've tried. .... .... Is it worth it? Many of you rave about how it's changed your life. How long have you had your BB or SW? Has anyone been using one for over a year and still feel as excited and enthused about it as day one?

jbaby13
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I got a hold of someone this morning and she said the only price they can offer me was $399 for the armband and the display unit. Then the subscription is $20 per month. She said to only do 1 month as they are real close to lower the subscription cost. She also said the response lately has been overwhelming. Perhaps that is why they are not offering the deals anymore?

She also said they are close to having a system up to let people order direct from the website.

hottierockstar
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Are the ppl that are getting the better prices calling Sensewear directly or possibly some reseller?

ibeforej
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Are the ppl that are getting the better prices calling Sensewear directly or possibly some reseller?

I called Sensewear directly, but I'm not going to completely stand by what I was quoted till I see the bill. Obviously I would like it to be the cheaper price, but hearing other people's stories isn't making me very confident. =)

hottierockstar
09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
well at least you will have it and hopefully at the quoted price. :)
i'm wondering if there are different ppl taking calls as I have talked to the same person everytime i have called...same price quote, advice to only sign up for a month on the subscription, and that they are definitely lowering it soon.

I talked to one of my clients this morning that has been wearing the BB from 24hour and she has lost 8#, so once i stop being scared of the price maybe i will too LOL

jbaby13
09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Just to make things more confusing... I just got a voice mail from bodymedia (sensewear), saying they are lowering the price by $40 (so it should be $359) plus a huge savings on the montly price. She said she was going to email me the order form with the new prices. So I will let everyone know when I get it.

ibeforej
09-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Just to make things more confusing... I just got a voice mail from bodymedia (sensewear), saying they are lowering the price by $40 (so it should be $359) plus a huge savings on the montly price. She said she was going to email me the order form with the new prices. So I will let everyone know when I get it.

Yep- that sounds right. I knew the price was somewhere in the $350s.

I'm trying to reach a rep on Sensewear right now to try and confirm what I was told on Friday. I'll let you guys know if I have any luck- I'm currently on redial #6. :p

thinkingthin
09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Per Sensewear this morning:
The order form will be posted TODAY on their site. The reason for slow response is that they knew about the price decreases that were coming and they were holding off on sending order forms so that they could offer the best deal.

So, I called early this morning and got right thru to the CSR. Here's the price:
$348 for the armband and display
$18.95/mo for the subscription which progressively gets cheaper if you buy several months at a time: $119.40/ 12 months

They've been swamped with calls simply from word of mouth. Now, that says something!

browncat
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I paid $459 for my SenseWear armband, display and six months free subscription on August 27th.

It kind of looks like a marketing gimmick to me as $348 plus a six months subscription at $18.50/month equals $459. If you buy a years subscription at $119.40 ($9.95 a month), that is where your overall savings will occur after your initial investment.

BTW, I saw on another site a video where Jillian explains how she uses the BB on the this season's Biggest Loser. She calculates 1200 calories for women with a 4000 calorie burn, and 1800 calories with a 5000 calorie burn for men. Jillian also stated that she likes to do one third each fat, carbs and protein on a plate (a 300 calorie meal would have 100 calories each of fat, carbs and protien). Interesting.

MarisaKaye
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I have a copy of the order form if anyone would like it and also the name/phone number of a rep. Please PM if you would like it. The rep I have been talking to is great. The order form is for the lower price.

MarisaKaye
09-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Well I just placed an order with for two armbands from Sensewear. I was able to make contact with a representative who is very friendly and helpful. I can't wait to get them.

MotoMichelle
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi all. I just found this thread and thought I'd chime in.

I have a BodyBugg and used it for about 2 months. I think it's a good tool and can be helpful, but I stopped using it and won't use it again. In fact I've thought about selling mine for cheap but I'm not sure if anyone would buy it since they'd have to reset everything for themselves.

Anyway!

I won't say I have negatives about it, but I suppose after using it I feel that it's overpriced and a bit unnecessary. After 2 months of being consistent with my exercise and caloric intake, the BB really wasn't telling me anything new. Some people like to see the hard numbers, which I can understand how the BB and SW are appealing, but I guess I'm not one of those. ;) So as long as I'm having a deficit I'm good! And I can tell that by my weekly official weigh-in.

I have a good idea of how much my body burns without exercise, so at this point in my life I feel that a HR monitor will work better for me.

Also by the end of my 2 months I hated wearing that thing. Now I wore it 24/7 except in the water, so maybe I could have just cut back. But I have to say that the thought of putting that thing back on for hours and hours now makes me cringe.

The sensors didn't bother me, but the band irritated my skin often.

Again, I think the BB/SW is a great tool for anyone who wants to see the hard numbers. I also think it can be very motivating for anyone who might not really know where they are with caloric intake and caloric burn. Knowing you ate 3000 calories but have only burned 2000 certainly gets one's attention. :p

It's just not for me anymore. I hope I haven't put anyone off, this is just my personal experience with the BB. :)

movingoninlife
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I can't post a PM because I've just joined and don't have enough posts!! :(

I wonder why they are suddenly swamped with interest? I found them only because of this thread.

thinkingthin
09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I sent in my order form. I'm SO excited! I've been studying them for so long that I just can't wait!

I also understand MotoMichelle's issues. I worry that after a few months, I'll quit using it for one reason or another. Or it irritates my arm or my skin or my psyche! (Please please please I hope it doesn't do that! I can't stomach spending this much money for a dud device that makes me crazy!)

I was really successful with WW...but then the yo-yo started. No matter how hard I track my intake and my activity, I yo-yo. Maybe combining the knowledge and behaviors learned from WW with the SW tool, I can be successful again--and keep it off for good.

I only need to shed 30 pounds to be where I want to be.... Cross your fingers that this will be just the right thing to keep me focused!

thinkingthin
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
The order form that SW sends is an .xls file--and that is not a supported format to attach on this forum. So, here's the .pdf version.

:carrot:

kmoore36
09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Over the weekend I made the decision that on Monday I was going to call/email Bodymedia and order the Sensewear vs. the Bodybugg.

On Monday morning I emailed them and ask about the new reduced price that was reported on this thread earlier.

A couple of hours later I received a standard reply with an order form attached with the $399 price---this was on Monday, 9-22-08'

Now, just one day later, I see the new order form with the reduced price!!!

My credit card has not been charged and I have not received any notification that the order has been processed. I just sent them an email asking if there were any differences in the original product/plan that was offered at $399 and the new product/plan that was now being offered at $359.
Also, ask which price I would be charged. I hope they email me back soon!!!

I won't be happy if the items are exactly the same and I end up paying the higher price, but I will deal with it!!

Can anyone tell me how long it took for their Sensewear to arrive after placing an order.

Thanks for all the information and posts!!!! It really helped me to make a decision.

Karen

thinkingthin
09-23-2008, 11:36 PM
kmoore36, call them first thing in the morning.

I called this morning at 8:00 a.m. Eastern and got right through. I talked to Susan, who was super nice, and she told me that she is there at 6:00 a.m. Eastern and that the best time to call was early because the phone starts ringing off the hook later in the day. She was hoping that the order form would be posted on their site today so that it would help cut down on the calls of those just asking about the price. She said that the flood of recent calls is because of all the blogging about the price drop--especially since one of the members here (browncat, as I recall) posted a lower purchase price within the last day or so--even with some of us receiving the forms with the higher price--just like you. So, I checked their site tonight and figured that they must not have been able to accomplish the task of posting their form like they wanted, ...heh heh heh... So I posted it here. :)

So, give them a call early in the morning, kmoore36--especially since the form that I received today and posted today says "Effective Sep 22, 2008"--the very day you ordered.

browncat
09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
thinkingthin, it wasn't me who posted about the price reduction on the SW armband, I paid $459 with six months subscription free.

I did post that I was told that the subscription price was going to be reduced.

However, if you carefully read my post from yesterday, you will see that the armband and display with the subscription price has not really been reduced, it only appears that way:

"It kind of looks like a marketing gimmick to me as $348 plus a six months subscription at $18.50/month equals $459."

The only way you are going to have a reduced price is to pay for a full years subscription up front ($119.40).

movingoninlife
09-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I finally got an email reply with a link to their site for ordering.

Armband with digital display, USB, clip, wrist strap and manuals - $399 (no subscription here)

60 day subscription - $40

180 day subscription - $120

360 day subscription - $240

Seems to me they can't get things in any form of consistency. This is the same information that was on my form dated in August (with a correction for the one-year subscription).

the whole system with 6 months is $519 now plus tax not $459 as posted by browncat

the whole system with 12 months is $639 not $467.40 (taxes not included because it will vary by where you are)

$171 difference is a lot considering it is all on the same day!!

I think I'd print the form posted here and send it in.

movingoninlife
09-24-2008, 12:54 PM
It occurs to me that the email I got may have been not been a response to my email to sensewear but actually that they are a third party vendor and got my email from here or another blog somewhere. It is one I've seen where people have complained of them selling on people's personal blogs. And the prices are so much higher than that order form effective by SenseWear WMS on MONDAY!! sounds suspicious now, so I forwarded it to sensewear and asked if it was legit.

ndnguy85
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
ok i am confused now. haha

it was 459 before with display and 6 months.

now it's 359 with no subscription??

isnt that more expensive, not cheaper?

hottierockstar
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
to make it even *more* confusing the price that i have been given from SW everytime is around $459 with only ONE month membership. (that is the display, armband, one month at $20, and tax/shipping)

TheBeesKnees
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi All,

I received the new order form from the same rep that MarisaKaye received her form from.

After reading the thread this morning, I thought it would help to ask them again.

Now...can someone please instruct me as to how I can attach the pdf for everyone to view?

movingoninlife
09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Now...can someone please instruct me as to how I can attach the pdf for everyone to view?

At the bottom of the screen I am looking at right now (while replying) there are "Additional Options" and "Attach Files" and you'd use that if you actually have a pdf to attach. You can't attach a xls.

TheBeesKnees
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Gah! Nevermind, i don't have the software to change it to a pdf.

If you're interested...you can pm me and I'll send it off your way.

movingoninlife
09-24-2008, 05:19 PM

If you're interested...you can pm me and I'll send it off your way.

I can't PM till I get 10 posts in :)

Is your order form for the OLD price??

I'll try to call them first thing tomorrow morning - like 5:30 am

TheBeesKnees
09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I can't PM till I get 10 posts in :)

Is your order form for the OLD price??

I'll try to call them first thing tomorrow morning - like 5:30 am

It's for the new price and is the exact one that was posted one page back.

thinkingthin
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM

I didn't have anything loaded at home to create a pdf either. But I also didn't want to wait until I got to work to convert the file before I posted the SW order form with the lower prices.... So, I downloaded freeware from cutepdf.com.... I never tried it before, but it works just like you'd expect.

thinkingthin
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
However, if you carefully read my post from yesterday, you will see that the armband and display with the subscription price has not really been reduced, it only appears that way:

"It kind of looks like a marketing gimmick to me as $348 plus a six months subscription at $18.50/month equals $459."

The only way you are going to have a reduced price is to pay for a full years subscription up front ($119.40).

You're absolutely right, and I couldn't agree more. It's a shell game.

All I can say is that based on the first order form that I received on 9/18 (version 4), my price for the armband, display, and a 12-month subscription would have been $659.00 before shipping and sales tax. With the order form that I received on 9/23 (version 5), my price for the armband, display, and a 12-month subscription is $467.40 before shipping and sales tax. Neither form had a packaged option that included the first "x" month's worth of subscriptions. And I couldn't tease that out of the CSR either.

Whether it's the packaged price that you received or the a-la-carte prices from the version 5 form, we're both ahead compared to the version 4 form!

With my anticipation level running high and my expectations following right along, I certainly hope that all my angst about whether or not to fork out so much money for the gadget is worth it.

movingoninlife
09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
thinkingthin, it wasn't me who posted about the price reduction on the SW armband, I paid $459 with six months subscription free.

I did post that I was told that the subscription price was going to be reduced.

Then how come both times I've received a way to order (an order form and a link to a site to order from) the unit and 6 months wasn't $459 but was $519. Some Marketing gimmick.... doesn't work for me.

Also, NEITHER of the two order methods that I received had a discount for ordering more months up front. In fact, the first order method (the form) included a $20 penalty (which I believe to be a typo) for going with a year up front.

browncat
09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
movingoninlife, you may have an order form from Healthy Innovations, Inc., an independent distributor for Bodymedia. That $519 and subscription price sounds what they quoted me.

Bodymedia does not have an order form up on their site as of this morning. You have to use the PDF order form that they sent you in an e-mail or call them by phone to order.

With Bodymedia's latest 9/23 (version 5) order form, the price for the armband, display, and a 12-month subscription is $467.40 (thank you thinkingthin), you will be saving money. If you buy anything less than a years subscription, that is where you lose money.

I would buy the armband, display and 12 month subscription from Bodymedia.

movingoninlife
09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
movingoninlife, you may have an order form from Healthy Innovations, Inc., an independent distributor for Bodymedia. That $519 and subscription price sounds what they quoted me.

Bodymedia does not have an order form up on their site as of this morning. You have to use the PDF order form that they sent you in an e-mail or call them by phone to order.

With Bodymedia's latest 9/23 (version 5) order form, the price for the armband, display, and a 12-month subscription is $467.40 (thank you thinkingthin), you will be saving money. If you buy anything less than a years subscription, that is where you lose money.

I would buy the armband, display and 12 month subscription from Bodymedia.

Ya, I know it is Healthy innovations. But from watching Hii on other sites I don't like their business practices so I was suspicious to receive an email from them (two in fact) that 1. had a link to their site with the same prices as I was questioning in my email and 2. had no answers at all to my questions - like they didn't know my questions existed - which is consistent with what I've noticed them to do on other sites (offer to help clear things up and then make a sale separate from SW). But, I'm the suspicious type :?:

kmoore36
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Over the weekend I made the decision that on Monday I was going to call/email Bodymedia and order the Sensewear vs. the Bodybugg.

On Monday morning I emailed them and ask about the new reduced price that was reported on this thread earlier.

A couple of hours later I received a standard reply with an order form attached with the $399 price---this was on Monday, 9-22-08'

Now, just one day later, I see the new order form with the reduced price!!!

My credit card has not been charged and I have not received any notification that the order has been processed. I just sent them an email asking if there were any differences in the original product/plan that was offered at $399 and the new product/plan that was now being offered at $359.
Also, ask which price I would be charged. I hope they email me back soon!!!

I won't be happy if the items are exactly the same and I end up paying the higher price, but I will deal with it!!

Can anyone tell me how long it took for their Sensewear to arrive after placing an order.

Thanks for all the information and posts!!!! It really helped me to make a decision.

Karen

I have emailed them and have called and left messages and still have not heard anything back from them at all.

I have checked my credit card statement online and my card has not been charged yet and there are no pending charges waiting to come through!!!

Any suggestions on how to get a live person or a reply back??

Has anyone who has recently placed an order received it?

Thanks,
Karen

movingoninlife
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
How are ya'll placing the order if you aren't getting anyone on the phone?

do you email in the order form or fax it in?

browncat
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I called Bodymedia at 5:00 am West Coast time, making it 8:00 am East Coast time, where they are located.

The phone number I used was 412-543-1302. I never had a problem getting through.

pintobean
09-25-2008, 12:37 PM
When I ordered mine few months ago the rep did tell me that it will take about 2 - 4 weeks for me to get the sensewear. I believe they charge you when they ship you the stuff.

HTH :)

MarisaKaye
09-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I just called and spoke to the lady who took my order. She told me on Tuesday that my order would be shipped today. After reading all of the posts here, I called to confirm. She told me today that she thought it was going to be mailed Monday but now it was going to be Tuesday (she thought). She told me that she should have a solid date within a half hour and would send out an email to all those waiting to find out. I asked if I could cancel if it keeps getting pushed and she said yes. I may cancel altogether because it doesn't seem that they are very reliable.:?:

kmoore36
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I called Bodymedia at 5:00 am West Coast time, making it 8:00 am East Coast time, where they are located.

The phone number I used was 412-543-1302. I never had a problem getting through.

Thanks bunches for the phone number!!! I called and reached Susan on the second try!!! The original number I had was 412-288-9901

Something happened and they did not receive the fax that was sent on Monday and she requested that I re-send the original order and they will honor the price that went into effect on Monday.:carrot:

She also said that this site has generated a huge number of calls/inquiries and that she was the only person inputting orders so she is swamped!!!

Thanks again! Karen

Lucy821
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I just got mine on Tuesday!! I love it. I like the Apex website, too. You get a lot more feedback than from just using a pedometer. I thought I'd be embarrassed about it on being on my arm for all to see but nobody has said anything so far.

thinkingthin
09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I just got mine on Tuesday!! I love it. I like the Apex website, too. You get a lot more feedback than from just using a pedometer. I thought I'd be embarrassed about it on being on my arm for all to see but nobody has said anything so far.

From the time you ordered until the time you received, how long did it take?

thinkingthin
09-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks bunches for the phone number!!! I called and reached Susan on the second try!!! The original number I had was 412-288-9901

Something happened and they did not receive the fax that was sent on Monday and she requested that I re-send the original order and they will honor the price that went into effect on Monday.

She also said that this site has generated a huge number of calls/inquiries and that she was the only person inputting orders so she is swamped!!!

Thanks again! Karen

SHARP EYES, browncat! The first time I called, I used the -9901 number listed on the SW site--the one kmoore36 used. I never got through and never received a call back.

I had also sent an email using the link on the SW site. I finally received the v4 order form, but used the -1302 number listed on the form when I called about the possible price reduction that was circling this forum. Like you, I called at 8:00 a.m. East Coast time. That's when I reached Susan on the first try and she sent me the v5 form.

BTW, Susan suggested to me that when I faxed my order, I should send her an email to say that it was faxed so that she knows. Apparently, the fax is not near where she's answering calls. I did that and she returned my email saying that she got the fax.

So, everyone, don't use the phone number listed on the SW site???? Use the one on the v5 order form.....? Looks like those of us who reach Susan are using the -1302 number--and calling way early in the day. :coffee:

browncat
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Here's the trick I used since I was having no luck getting through on the -1300 number I had from the website ...

Businesses usually have more than one number besides the main number. So to get to an employee of the business, dial one number up consecutively. In this case the main business number was -1300; so you dial up -1301, -1302, -1303 and you have a good chance of getting live person who is at their desk. It doesn't always work, but it is worth a try. In this case, bingo was -1302.

BTW thingthin, the 412-288-9901 was the fax number. On my V.3 order form, the order number was 412-543-1300 ... straight to a recording every time.

Morticae
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Could somebody help me on this matter?

I'm trying to catch up but there is just so much information. I was interested in a Bodybugg until I heard that there was a Version 3 coming out. Sensewear is apparently the same thing as the Bodybugg, and it already has the Version 3?

I read a customer service response saying that the two share identical technology, so I am not sure why they have two different products going on.

Should I buy the Bodybugg or the Sensewear? I think I've convinced myself its worth the cost.

ndnguy85
09-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Could somebody help me on this matter?

I'm trying to catch up but there is just so much information. I was interested in a Bodybugg until I heard that there was a Version 3 coming out. Sensewear is apparently the same thing as the Bodybugg, and it already has the Version 3?

I read a customer service response saying that the two share identical technology, so I am not sure why they have two different products going on.

Should I buy the Bodybugg or the Sensewear? I think I've convinced myself its worth the cost.

with all the mess trying to contact sensewear to order one..just wait for bodybugg v3 and order that. it's geared more for the beginner with helpful tips and guides than sensewear which really is for a clinical specialist.

Morticae
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
with all the mess trying to contact sensewear to order one..just wait for bodybugg v3 and order that. it's geared more for the beginner with helpful tips and guides than sensewear which really is for a clinical specialist.

There are quite a few posts regarding the sensewear ordering difficulties, aren't there? Haha. I might just get the V2 Bodybugg-- I haven't heard anything concrete about V3 being released soon. Somebody tossed out November possibly, I've also heard early 2009.

24 Hour Fitness still has that deal going on. $200 + $100 more for the digital display. That's $300, which is $50 cheaper than from the official website. Somebody said that 24HrFitness was slow at shipping... anybody order from them recently?

zeka
09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks ThinkinThin for the order form. I ended up faxing it and then calling at 3:30 am Pacific time (yes I had to set an alarm :((( ) and I got Susan on the first try she told me my faxed order was processed and was awaiting shipment on Tuesday. She also said to call really early if I wanted to get through. It seems like she's the only one answering phones down there.

ibeforej
09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Susan's awesome!

I got a hold of her this morning and confirmed that my Sensewear would be shipping out on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm glad everyone ended up getting the correct info. on the price- I didn't mean to start a big thing over it, but it looks like it was just a bad time for everyone to be putting in orders since they were smack in the middle of changing over the prices. As long as it all worked out though, that's what's important. :hug:

iwishfor
09-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Hello...new around here. Found the thread while doing a search on a bodybugg of course. :) I am leaning towards the bodybugg for the shear fact that I work out at 24 Hr Fitness with a trainer and would like her to be able to access my information which would help in tailoring my training sessions with her. I am already used to their online interface because I got 3 months of the web only version for free as part of my training. My dilemma is whether to buy the v2 now or wait who knows how long for the v3.

Is there anyone who had been using the bodybugg and switched over to the sensewear that has noticed a increase with accuracy of data due to the extra accelerometer in the new version? If it isn't much of a difference, I think I will bite the bullet and get the v2 that is out now.

missmarie
09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi iwishfor,

I am new to this forum as well - I've been reading it all week trying to find out if this thing is worth purchasing... I have to say, I've read more good than bad about it. Now, for me, I'm trying to decide if I should get the bodybugg v2 or wait for the v3? Or buy the sensewear everyone is talking about. I emailed apex re: bodybugg v3 and the customer service person told me they are shooting for Nov. '08. However, they had barely any information. I want it now, but if I waited til Nov. to get it and it didn't come out I would be so mad :)

anyway, iwishfor, you said you are using the website now. One thing I haven't really gotten too much information on is how comprehensive is the food database? That was another question that I had asked them. I got another email from tech. support saying they are striving to make updates to it constantly and it is a 'work in process'. He also said that other users have commented that sites such as calorie king are better. Anyway, this is a huge sticking point with me because i'm used to using WW site or others that have a lot of info. For a site you have to pay for, I think it should be state of the art (or as close as possible) - hence providing value to the customer.

ibeforej
09-28-2008, 09:43 PM
As far as the food databases for SenseWear, can you input custom foods? I'm on Nutrisystem and I doubt my NS foods are in BM's database. :)

BTW, I received a receipt today that says my Sensewear should ship out in 1-2 days. Even my husband is excited about me getting this- he competes in Jui Jitsu tournaments and is currently at his leanest fighting weight since I've met him. He might get one if it works out well for me.

ndnguy85
09-28-2008, 10:23 PM
man my subscription expires oct 21 and i am trying to see if i should renew before the new one comes out.

i wonder if there will be any discounts for existing users to upgrade..

pintobean
09-29-2008, 08:35 AM
As far as the food databases for SenseWear, can you input custom foods? I'm on Nutrisystem and I doubt my NS foods are in BM's database. :)....

Yes, you can enter custom food in the database. It was a big thing for me too as I make my own food and knew lot of it would not be in there. So far it's been working great. You can build your own recipe in the database with the ingredient lists or can also add nutrition information for any food you buy in the store. Just add from the information provided on the package.
Hope this helps :D

iwishfor
09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi iwishfor,

I am new to this forum as well - I've been reading it all week trying to find out if this thing is worth purchasing... I have to say, I've read more good than bad about it. Now, for me, I'm trying to decide if I should get the bodybugg v2 or wait for the v3? Or buy the sensewear everyone is talking about. I emailed apex re: bodybugg v3 and the customer service person told me they are shooting for Nov. '08. However, they had barely any information. I want it now, but if I waited til Nov. to get it and it didn't come out I would be so mad :)

anyway, iwishfor, you said you are using the website now. One thing I haven't really gotten too much information on is how comprehensive is the food database? That was another question that I had asked them. I got another email from tech. support saying they are striving to make updates to it constantly and it is a 'work in process'. He also said that other users have commented that sites such as calorie king are better. Anyway, this is a huge sticking point with me because i'm used to using WW site or others that have a lot of info. For a site you have to pay for, I think it should be state of the art (or as close as possible) - hence providing value to the customer.

I've never used WW or calorie king's site so it's hard for me to compare, but it is extensive enough for my needs. I hardly go out to eat and cook whenever possible, so the use of restaurant food information and such is minimal for me. And when I do go out to eat, it's hardly at a major chain restaurant and more local stuff that would be impossible to find in any database anyhow. LOL I do like their custom food option where I can combine ingredients I am cooking together and group them as one thing. My online only program expired a couple of months ago and I did not elect to start paying for it when there are other food logging sites out there for free. I've been using SparkPeople, which works okay. It is a bit more difficult for figuring out things that I cook from scratch. Much easier for me at least on the bodybugg site. I prefer bodybugg's online system more, the data looks more accurate.

I think I've decided to bite the bullet and get the v2 and not wait for v3. No sense in delaying what can help me progress more with my weight loss when there is still no target release date for v3. My trainer wasn't aware of v3 until I brought it up. They had their speculations because all the new promotional posters, flyers, etc they have to put around the gym has photos of Ali from BL with the new version. But they have been given zero info about it.

missmarie
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
thanks for the info. does anyone have any postive or negative responses between the BB and SW user interfaces? I read through the posts and it looks like SW is more comprehensive of a product; perhaps I will get that one. I'm so confused but really anticipating getting one now! It sounds like the concensus is the BB v3 will be the same as sensewear v3 (avail. now)....

ibeforej
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
My sensewear came in today (I received a shipped e-mail this morning, so that was a nice surprise!)

I'll update with my first impression thoughts when I hook everything up tonight.

rachelf
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
ATTENTION ANYONE THAT IS THINKING OF BUYING FROM BODYMEDIA!

ok - So I have been pretty quiet on the forums about the body media band since I started posting. So I wanted to give everyone an UPDATE on my experiences so far with this company.

A week or so after I started using their v3 band I noticed a few issues - calories weren't being tracked properly on the digital display; usually there would be a 1k difference between the display's calorie burned and the web's calorie burned. My steps weren't being tracked at all. And from the graph there were periods where my calories would drop to 1.0 (like i wasn't wearing it at all) during a work out or during daily routines.

I called, SUSAN QUIGLEY, the woman who sold me the band over the phone. She was REALLY EASY to get a hold of when she wanted my money. Now that I am having problems (Since September 15th!! I received the band on the 9th!!!!) I have not been able to get a reply to my emails, or calls back from my voice mails. I got a hold of her today and she promised to call me back once she gathered information about my sale. This was at 12pm PST, it is now 2:17pst and I know they are closed now. Did I get a call back? Did my issue get resolved? Is their customer support side not answering/returning calls? Nope, nope, and nope.

I am pretty angry right now.

I have sent 5 emails to her, 2 to their sales email and 1 to their support email, NO REPLIES BACK. This is starting from the 15th!! I have called ALL THEIR LINES and get that stupid voicemail.

Another thing, I noticed that soon after I bought mine, they dropped their price, by 40$.
She over charged me, also only included ONE MONTH of the subscription, instead of the standard 6 months that a lot of you seem to have gotten from paying the full price...
So not only did I pay the price of 431.95$ (with shipping, a digital display, and a band, with ONE month) but I also paid that much for a worthless paperweight and the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I work with customers over the phone every single day (training), and I would NEVER ever, EVER, neglect my customers like this!!! No matter HOW BUSY and over loaded we are! I will even wait AFTER HOURS for phone calls and training! NOt ditch out at 2pm/5 eastern while I have angry people waiting on me!

So BUYER BEWARE. I would wait for Apex, I never had trouble getting a reply via email/phone from those folks. And I have done business with each company. Wish I waited.

If I don't get a reply back from these guys by tomorrow (because lets be real, I have been waiting since the 15th!!!) I will proceed with a returned package and a chargeback on my Visa.
If they treat me with some respect and acknowledge my issues, I will post it here and clear their name.

Thanks for reading and letting me rant here!

ibeforej
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, today is my official first day using the Sensewear and, so far, I'm really pleased. The only problem I did have was trying to sync the digital display with the unit, but that was only because I skipped over the part where it said you need to be wearing the armband to sync with the display (you're not supposed to wear it when you're syncing with your computer.)

Tomorrow will be my first full 24 hour period wearing the device, so I'll update more on Friday.

iwishfor
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I bought the bodybugg last night from my gym and can't wait to get it set up tonight. What was even better was that I got an extra 10% from the sale price because of the easypay I set up on my 24 hr fitness membership card. :D

missmarie
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge! I have yet to do so. Please update us with your experience. I'm still on the fence between BB or SW.... I am dying to get one of them though. I like the size of the SW but BB seems to be more accessible a the moment and cost is better.

I emailed a rep today asking about any newer technology (over the sensewear) for the BB v3 or if it will be the same as the sensewear... After doing some major research, they both need improvements with regards to accuracy.

Any help in making my decision would be great :)

ndnguy85
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Posted By: bodybugg Support Team
Posted Date: 9-29-08 11:07AM
Hello all, we are targeting Dec '08 to introduce the new device

so december it is..haha

ibeforej
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
so december it is..haha

Oh- good! I'm glad I went ahead and bought the Sensewear then. I'm doing a weight loss challenge that ends in March and I need every edge I can get on my competition. =)

kmoore36
10-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I rec'd my Sensewear yesterday!!!!

I was really glad to have read so many tips and reviews so I knew a bit more
about what to expect!!

I hooked it up to my computer USB for about 4 hours so it could fully charge so by the time I got to "play" with it, it was 11:30pm.

I did get all of the software installed, the armband synced with both my computer and display unit, so all of that is done and was pretty painless.

I wore it to bed last night have had it on all morning and so far have had no problems. I don't know if it is just the novelty of wearing it, but I can see/feel an "attitude change" already.

I have been cleaning house off and on all morning and the display shows calories burned at 1.4 and 1.5 per minute-----is that pretty average?

I have logged my breakfast on the Sensewear website and that was pretty simple. I have not uploaded my calories burned yet, and will probably wait till the end of the day. I can see how many calories I've consumed after I log my meal and the display shows me how many I've burned, so I'm still able to track without uploading after every meal-----how often do you guys upload your data?

I'm excited to see how this weekend goes!!

Karen

jbaby13
10-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I got mine last night, so far I am very happy with it.
Here are a couple of quick thoughts:

Pros
1. I didn't even notice it last night while I was sleeping
2. I really like how you can move your goals around depending on how much weight you want to lose per week, or even when you want to meet your goal. It figures out how many calories to eat / burn.
3. The food database seems pretty extensive.
4. I like the alerts when you meet your goal.
5. I really like having the "watch" so I can see where I am at during the day.

Cons.
1. It doesn't seem to be keeping track of the steps correctly. It has counted 7 steps while I have been sitting on the couch for 10 minutes.
2. I wonder how accurate the calorie burn is. It seems pretty high for me.

Those are some quick thoughts so far.

ibeforej
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Jenny's 2 Day Sensewear Review :)

I received the items 4 days after my original scheduled delivery date, but this had been previously confirmed with my CSR Susan, so I wasn't disappointed. I received the items and everything synced up great. I did have a bit of a problem syncing the digital display with the unit but that's only because I skipped over the part in the instructions where it tells you, you need to be wearing the main unit for it sync.

If you want accurate readouts from Day 1, I recommend starting up the unit and creating your online Sensewear account the morning you start. My first day numbers are not accurate, since I didn't log anything and just put down "not active" for all the times I hadn't been wearing the unit yet. This is just a nitpicky point, but something I should have considered.

The website is easy to use- it's very user-friendly and I didn't need to read any help guides to figure out how to log my meals or upload data from the Sensewear. I did run into a problem on Day 2 where the website couldn't find the Body Media software on my computer. I restarted and all was well.

My goal is to lose at least 2lbs a week, so I'm working on a 1000 calorie deficit. I'm on Nutrisystem, so my average calorie input is 1200. I now know when I've met my deficit or I'm way off. My usual lazy day is Sunday, so I'm interested to see how lazy I really am. :D

Like someone else here mentioned, I was a bit surprised on the calories burned number, but after doing some research online, I found that my average calories burned (at a sedentary activity level) is around 2000, so burning 2600+ calories seems like a very realistic number. While no device guarantees 100% accurate readouts, I feel like this device is definitely closer than some website with average calories burned or the calorie counters on my workout machines.

As far as wearability, I wasn't crazy about wearing it the first day, but now I don't even notice it. People ask about it, but most of them know that I'm on a pretty strict regimen, so they have already assumed it's something like a heart rate monitor. I usually keep the digital display clipped on to my pocket, but that will probably change depending on what I have planned for the day.

I did want to note that I had a problem with the unit the evening of Day 2- both lights were solid green and it was not responding to anything- being connected to my computer, pressing the button on the device, etc. About 30 minutes later it started working again, so I have no idea what happened, but I hope it was just a fluke.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the device and would recommend to anyone who is really looking to make a change in their life.

iwishfor
10-04-2008, 02:55 PM
so december it is..haha

I'm glad I got the current v2 now while it was on sale then. I don't think I would have wanted to wait until December to get going on it. Perhaps a year from now and I'm still going strong on it, I'll get the v3. :)

Day 2 of the bodybugg and loving it. But now I sadly know just how little I burn sitting at a computer job all day. I burn as much as I do sleeping! :( Made me more aware and I am trying to walk around a bit more. And I also realize this thing will really really make me accountable and make me exercise. Since my trainer can log in to my online bodybugg profile at anytime, she will know if I am not exercising based on what my calories burned are!!! To the gym I go!!! LOL

It certainly gets a lot of attention. Most of my work shirts are sleeveless, minus a few button down dress shirts. So it's very visible. Everyone kept asking me what it was. A couple of people may want of their own now too!

hereyago
10-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, a lot of firsts today. Just received my sensewear armband, display, and have set everything up to start new tomorrow morning.

Also first post to any forum about weight loss. We will see how this goes.

shrinkingchica
10-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Those that have these (bodybugg or sensewear):

How accurate do you find the amount of calories it says you burn to be?

Like within 100calories accuracy as best you can guestimate or what??

Also, has anyone been losing weight with this tool???

Thanks!!! I am sooo curious about this! Especially after seeing in on TBL! :)

kmoore36
10-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Today completes a full two days of wearing the Sensewear armband and so far I have been really pleased.

It was funny seeing the spike in "activity" when I got up to use the bathroom at 2:30am last night!!

I don't know how accurate it is as far as knowing calories burned, but I can tell that it absolutely knows when I've been up and moving or just sitting at the computer.

In a way this little bugger has taken the "power" away from the scale---I feel I have a bit of control over the outcome for the first time ever! I have dieted on and off for ages and have typically been one of these all or nothing dieters----you know, mess up and eat some chips, therefore, since I have "messed up for the day" ---might as well eat the rest of that bag of chips and a couple of candy bars since I've already blown it anyway-----and I'll start over next week!! or even better-----I have not ate anything "bad" for two days and the scale hasn't moved, therefore, I might as well eat whatever, because I don't lose weight anyway!!

Anyway, this little device kind of puts it all in perspective with constant data showing the calories in vs calories out-----I don't think a few chips would derail me at this point!!!

I hope in a month, I'm still on this path and feel as positive about this as I do right now!!!

Karen

jbaby13
10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Karen,
Do you find that your steps are off? I woke up this morning with 292 steps. Plus I have been getting over 10,000 steps, and when I wore a pedomontior I never got anywhere near that many steps.

hereyago
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I have used the armband for one full day and checked the results constantly yesterday by uploading the data to the website.

I am wondering about the step count as well. Since that is measured at the arm and not at the waist, if you raise your arms or are sweeping the floor, lift weights, etc do those count as steps?

I tried to reset the trip function to measure the steps on the armband versus the count on my elliptical last night, but couldn't get it to zero out - too big of a hurry.

I am traveling out of town for the next few days, but will wear my pedometer for a few days to see if there is a discrepancy between the two. This will be Friday or Saturday before I can do that, but will post the result.

Also, it does a pretty good job of measuring how long you are lying down or sleeping except I wake up a lot and try not to open my eyes or move so I will go back to sleep. For me it measures that whole time as being asleep.

Like this so far. I am really relying on the accuracy of the calories used from the armband so hope they are in the ballpark.

Walked my dog for a little while yesterday at a slow speed and that measured about the same in terms of intensity as going at it on the elliptical. It was a warm day during the walk so am wondering if the sun warms your skin if this falsely triggers that you are more active than you are.

I should get this all figured out with a few weeks worth of use.

TheBeesKnees
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I got mine last week!!! (V2 - thank you rachelf) :carrot:

Go figure...I'm fighting off some bronchitis like symptoms :mad:. I was tempted to work out anyway, but might go to the dry sauna instead to try and burn it out of my lungs. So far, I like it. Even DH helped keep tabs on my eats for the day and helped me estimate the portions :) I have to say that I am way more sedentary than I previously thought and for the past 3 days I've had a food surplus vs. calories burned, yikes!!!:ink:

Time to plan out the bentos for the week. I'm going to use 1:1:2 portions of protein, carb and veggies. How is everyone else doing?

kmoore36
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Karen,
Do you find that your steps are off? I woke up this morning with 292 steps. Plus I have been getting over 10,000 steps, and when I wore a pedomontior I never got anywhere near that many steps.

I have not been watching the "steps" count close enough to know if it is very accurate, but I haven't been able to hit 10,000 yet----not even on a busy day of shopping on Sat ---only hit about 8600 that day.

I have noticed a better reaction to my food blunders-----tonight I came home and was starving---supper not anywhere near ready---and I ate cookies---not one or two, but quite a few :mad: I know why I was "starving" ---I had only consumed 597 calories for the entire day and it was 5:30pm!!

Previously, this breakdown would have caused a binge free for all. But not today!! I logged the calories online and it was not pretty.

In one of the most uncharacteristic moves ever-----I put on my tennis shoes and went for a walk-----30 minutes from one end of my subdivision to the other and back. The walk didn't take care of all of those cookie calories but it sure made a dent and no free for all binge!!!

I got back and uploaded my armband data and it showed that during my walk I burned between 7 and 8 calories per minute------I was really pleased---in the past few days I had done some serious housecleaning but never made it over 6 calories burned per minute and those were very sporadica intervals.

Karen

TheBeesKnees
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
You know, I've noticed that I'm barely hitting 10,000 in my walks. But I feel fantastic to see where I stand during the day. Even if it does come up a tad short, that's okay...that's unseen free calorie burn to add to the deficit :)

missmarie
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Does anyone have any other negative views on the sensewear product?

As someone mentioned, I think their support is horrible. They clearly have a lack of infrastructure for customer support. What happens when you need tech support?

That is the largest part that scares me. That and they seem to change their rules or pricing frequently. There is a restock fee if you return it?

I think this can all be overlooked if the product is really worth it. I am waiting for an email so I can order it - noticed quite a few of you had the same issue as well. The CSR admitted they do not have the resources to handle the volume of calls/emails coming in. That scares me since it is quite an investment. They are in process of updating their website to have a commerce page in which you can order directly. Anyway, I am trying to decide if it is well worth it. There is a lot more information on the bodybugg out there than there is the sensewear. Which is why I have yet to take the plunge. However, considering the sensewear has more capabilities than the bodybugg, perhaps I am worrying too much.

Thanks!

WSLogue
10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I just recieved my SenseWear today and was so excited to get started until I jumped into the instructions manual and it said to go to Sensewear.com and type in my username and password supplied in the Welcome email. I didn't get a welcome email :( Now this is going to delay my registration - a little frusterated since I've waited over a week for it to come! I know what the username is that I requested, anyone know if the password they supply you with is generic and what it may be so I can get started tonight! Thanks!

Naia
10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I've had mine for a few weeks now, and it seems fairly accurate to me. I haven't counted step by step - but I can see when I get up to get water at work, and when I get up at night to go to the bathroom and it seems to be about the correct amount of steps to get there and back. The only time I meet the 10,000 step goal is when I go to the gym and work out on the treadmill/elliptical for an hour.

The calories burned seem pretty good to me too. On average I burn about 1.1 to 1.3 when I'm just sitting at work (computer work). When I do housework or walk or even clean the cat's litter box I can see the little spikes of activity. Nothing but a real workout or the gym gets me to burn higher than 6. For the gym I can see the constant workout, and I can even see when I take a break or move from one machine to the other.

For the calories, if I do an average day with some exercise (but not the gym) I'm in the low 2000's (like 2200). With the gym I can hit 2500. When I was sick and slept almost all day last week, I barely made 1700.

I've worn mine almost every day since I received it, and am still loving it. Sometimes it'll be a little pinchy or itchy and I'll have to move it around on my arm. Other than that, no problems. I love seeing how much I'm burning vs how much I've eaten. Like others, it's helped me with those binge moments of ... "oh I already had some chips, I might as well give it up for today" because I can see just how much I've eaten vs burned. So instead I go do a little workout to get back on track.

Except recently, since I've been sick & have had some family things going on. Still, it's a help!

I haven't had to call customer service, so I can't comment on that.

pintobean
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I just recieved my SenseWear today and was so excited to get started until I jumped into the instructions manual and it said to go to Sensewear.com and type in my username and password supplied in the Welcome email. I didn't get a welcome email :( Now this is going to delay my registration - a little frusterated since I've waited over a week for it to come! I know what the username is that I requested, anyone know if the password they supply you with is generic and what it may be so I can get started tonight! Thanks!

I had the same problem. I called and emailed my rep and they emailed me the password. It is not a generic password. So I'd suggest you call your rep with whom you made the purchase and let them know that you did not receive the account info email.
HTH :)