Goal! - Don’t Wait, Your Life is Calling …

CountingDown
07-12-2008, 06:32 PM
And the story unfolds...

OK, when my father died in his 50s, he was pushing 500 lbs. Needless to day, I am genetically predisposed to being overweight. I faced many challenges as a child, and learned to be an emotional eater at a very young age. Combine that with parents and grandparents that thought food was the panacea for all ills, and it is no surprise that I have battled my weight for most of my life.

I spent many, many years losing and gaining the same 80 lbs. The cycle is a familiar one: find a new diet, commit, work like a dog, fall of the wagon, give up, slowly re-gain some weight, realize that I had failed – yet again, give up, gain more weight.

And, what does it really matter, anyway? So, I am a bit chunky. I am successful in other areas of my life. I have great kids, I have a career where I help a lot of people, I have a wonderful church family that loves and appreciates me, I have an adoring husband that loves me unconditionally. I have a nice “fat girl” wardrobe that is professional and fun and makes me feel OK about myself. Who needs to be thin, anyway?

… and the cycle continues – over and over.

Then, with age 50 is just around the corner, I slowly realized that I CAN’T do all of the things I want to do. I can’t hike with the kids. I no longer cross-country ski. I abhor cleaning the house. I have neglected my gardens. And - if I keep up like this, what will the future hold?

So, how did it come to this?

Slowly, sneakily, stealthily - a pound here, less activity there, leisure activities that require no physical effort. Who has time to exercise anyway? Portion control and mindless – emotional eating have always been at the heart of my food issues. I like food – too much. Eating triggers something in my brain that makes me feel good. It makes me happy. It comforts me.

It is said, that the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again, expecting different results. Thus, if I was to lose weight - yet again, it had to be different this time. No diet. No deprivation. No regimented plans bound by time goals.

I have read hundreds of articles and books on losing weight. I know the science and the math involved. I can spout out the calorie count for most foods the way a baseball fan knows RBIs. Obviously knowledge is not enough. Action was required. A PLAN was required.

And thus began my journey to health and fitness on July 4, 2007. The journey has evolved; the plan has changed as the year has unfolded. It will continue to change. That is the way it is with lifestyle changes.

Currently, I count calories, eat 6 times daily, exercise 5-6 hours per week, balance 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein) my calories, limit simple carbohydrate rich foods, and drink plenty of water.

Accountability and community are two new pieces for me on my weight loss journey. Recording my weight, exercise, and food intake; and using the information to adjust my plan has really been eye-opening. And I can’t stress enough, the importance of community. Finding 3FC in August was a God-send! My husband was getting really tired of my soliloquies on weight loss. My friends were in the same place. I needed to connect with people that “get it”. People that wouldn’t think I was crazy for getting excited about being able to do a push up, or finding a great salad dressing or the marvels of a “stretchie” band.

Through 3FC, I have learned that it really is about life-style changes. It is about learning, and growing, and getting back on plan when you stray. It is about celebrating success, comforting each other, and holding each other accountable. Thanks to the wonderful maintainers here, I have learned that I can expect to follow my plan for the rest of my life. They have taught me that maintenance is hard work, but it is doable, and it is worth it.

I couldn’t have done this without all of you. YOU made the difference for me. And, if you are still reading this, I leave you with one last thought:

If I can do this, YOU can do this. It IS worth the effort, sacrifices, and changes that you need to make. It won’t happen overnight, which is actually a good thing. You will grow, and change along the way. Enjoy the journey – celebrate each and every day that God has given you. Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed.

Do it now - don’t wait, your life is calling.

just keep swimming
07-12-2008, 07:03 PM
:cheer2: :congrat: :cheer3:

Congratulations! What an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy being a maintainer; can't wait to join you!

:broc: :carrot: :cb:

bargoo
07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
This is a great post.Thank you, CountingDown.

Meg
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh geez, I've got tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing your very special story! I know that so many others are going to read it and know that they, too can do what is required to succeed. :)

Your thoughtful and caring posts and your active and vibrant participation in our community have made 3FC a better place for all of us. :grouphug:

chick_in_the_hat
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
That's beautiful!! Thank you!!

gailr42
07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I am so happy for you! As soon as I saw your avatar had changed, I rushed right over here to see if you had posted. You have done a wonderful job and I have really enjoyed reading your posts as you progressed. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration!!!!!!

get fit in ky
07-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Good for you! I'm so happy for your success.

And thanks for the tips so that others of us may join you in the future.

Diva
07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
WOW Counting. You are totally awesome and you look fabulous!!! I am so proud of you and I hope you keep chatting with us over on the red team! I'd really miss you if you didn't. You totally inspire me to get up out of this slump I've been in. :hug:

oh2Bthinagain
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm just starting the journey (for the 3rd time in the past 5 years). You guys are an inspiration!

I GAINED weight on WW, so am looking for any and all suggestions. Off to go read more threads. :)

Fat Chick B Gone
07-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Again congrats!! Your story rings so familiar and true to me and I'm certain many others out there!

ThisTimeIsDifferent
07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
CountingDown You are such an inspiration to all of us! You've definitely brought tears to my eyes. Your such a great person. Congrats on accomplishing your goals!!! I hope you still post with us on the Red team :hug:

walking2lose
07-13-2008, 10:28 AM
:cp: Congrats, Counting!!!! :bravo:

You look so gorgeous and FIT (I almost missed your pics -- folks - make sure you open the pic link!).

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!!!!!

Hun.e.B
07-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Congratulations Counting!! You are truly an amazing inspiration!! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Shay
07-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Counting Down--Congrats on reaching goal. You don't know me but I have been watching your ticker and WL post on the red team. I was excited for you getting to goal. The last two sentences of your post came right on time for me. I just decided two minutes ago prior to reading your post to start a "Love Me" campaign. I'm not doing a good job of that right now so I am determined to make a more concerted effort.

Mrs Snark
07-13-2008, 02:01 PM
WHOO HOO! Congratulations you smokin' hot mamma!!! Way to go!

CountingDown
07-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Jessica - thank you! You are more than half way to your goal. I'm betting I will be reading your goal story soon :)

bargoo - thanks! You are one of the folk that has kept me inspired on my journey. You started close to my weight, and look at you - well below your goal. I enjoy your posts on maintainers too (yup - I've been lurking over there for a while).

Meg - <sniff> aw, thanks. I can't begin to tell you what an inspiration you have been to me. You have shown the world that you can be strong and fit, regardless of your age and previous weight history. I am always amazed at your pictures. I read your goal story many times over the last year, and it inspired me each and every time!

Melissa, Gina, Diva, Lonnie, Heather - thanks! It has been fun doing the BL challenge with you. While it was best for the team that I drop out of the challenge at this point, you can bet that I won't leave the chat thread. I love being part of the "RED TEAM" and all of our teammates have been an integral part of my success. The BL challenges have really helped me stay focused!

Gail - only 12 more lbs. until you reach your goal. I can't wait. It has been a joy to read your posts as well. They always resonate with me. I think we are alike in many ways.

Sue - you are doing so well! You will be at goal in no time :D I'm looking forward to getting to know you better over on the "active folks" thread :)

Oh2B - keep reading forums on 3FC, I'm sure you will find the plan that is right for you. Calorie counting is my plan of choice, but you may find something that works better for you. The key is to find something that you can do forever. A plan that fits your needs and lifestyle is so much easier to stick with than something that you don't enjoy. Life is too short to be unhappy with something as integral as food. I meant what I said - enjoy the journey. And keep trying plans until you find one that fits. Keep posting here on 3FC - it really does help :D

Claire - thanks! The pictures were hard for me to post. I don't even post pictures of me for my family :o I feel fit. Weight training, pilates and yoga have really helped me change my shape and I feel strong. I love hiking and walking and lots of activities with the family now!

Shay - thank you for your kind words! You DO need to love yourself. So many of us are so busy taking care of everyone else, that we feel guilty doing things for ourselves. You need to love yourself and take care of yourself. You deserve it! And - those around you will be better of because of it. I love your avatar - the butterfly is such a wonderful symbol for what we are doing here at 3FC :)

Josephine - I love your avatar as well. I definitely see the "snark" ;) You are doing so well - so close to your goal!

EZMONEY
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
:carrot: I knew you had it in you SCOOTER...glad you took Him on the trip ;)

GR8 2B48
07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
You are certainly an inspiration. Congratulations on reaching your goal and thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy your maintenance journey. Oh, you look great.

JayEll
07-13-2008, 07:14 PM
CountingDown, I :love: your photos! What a long way you have come! Wow! Amazing! You must feel spectacular!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Good for you! I've been so impressed by your commitment and your steadiness! And it has paid off for you!

:hug:

Jay

Matilda08
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Congrats on your weight loss! This is a beautiful post

shelby897
07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
What an inspiring post!! Thank you doesn't cover it :) I appreciate and enjoy all the people on 3FC but find the individuals who have succeeded in reaching their goal the most inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story and I look forward to your continued involvement on the Red Team -- once a member, always a member!!! :D

purpleorc
07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your weight loss story and congratulations on reaching your goal weight.

EarthShaker
07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
It really resonates with me, and is what keeps me going when the scale doesn't match my expectations.

Thank you for sharing. Wonderful accomplishment, wonderful pictures.

Thank you for being an inspiration.

auntie g
07-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Wow! Very inspiring... Congrats on making your goal, and thanks for sharing your story and pics. And I love "don't wait, your life is calling"- I'm going to put that little reminder in a few key places around the house. :)

ksk571
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Congratulations!!! You look amazing! Your words are very inspiring and I really needed to hear them. I am lucky to have you as a part of my community here on 3FC!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Rain Dancer
07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
:congrat: on your weight loss and thank you for sharing your story and pictures. You are such an inspiration.

Lunula
07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Congratulations!! Very inspiring and those pics...wow!! You look awesome...and happy. :flow1: :woohoo::congrat:

Tomato
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
WOW!!!! You look great!

midwife
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
First, my most sincere and heartfelt CONGRATS!!!

Second, thanks for posting your goal story. You really laid it out there----how to do what you have done.

And third, you have lost about 15 years along with your weight! You look so amazing!

Enygirl
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
:congrat: on your success! I can't wait to join you on the maintainers threads! Thank you for your beautiful story!!! :)

CountingDown
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Gary - I couldn't have done it without starting every day with devotions and prayer. It definitely made the difference!

Denise - THANK YOU! I am a bit scared of maintenance, actually. The folk over on the maintenance thread are soooo dedicated and determined. But, I think they are wonderful and will inspire me to stay the course :)

Jay :hug: right back at you! Your inspiration and encouragement have helped me so much along the way. And even more so - your words of wisdom. You just seem to know the right thing to say at the right time. Your leadership around here is so special. We are blessed that you devote so much time to helping all of us!

Matilda - thanks! I am so impressed that you are doing C25K. That is awesome! I bet it is helping you move toward your goals!

shelby - LOL thank you so much for your kind words. I am continuing to post on the team thread. I love sharing the chat thread with my read teammates. You guys ROCK!

purpleorc - thank you! I am so impressed by your progress. 114 lbs. is absolutely astounding. I can't wait to read your goal story :)

EarthShaker - wow - thanks! Good luck on reaching Deuceland soon! I look forward to your mini-goal post when you do :)

auntie - thank you! I love your avatar - it is beautiful! I love gardening too. Your avatar would make a beautiful garden stone :)

Karen - thanks so much for your kind words. What a blessing to share a BL team with you!

Rain Dancer - thanks - congratulations on your recent "mini-goal" How awesome to have kissed that "4" goodbye forever!!!! Way to go!

Lunula - what a beautiful post! Congratulations on reaching Onderland! Awesome!!! :D

Tomato - thank you!!!! I love your tag line - what a great sense of humor you have :)

midwife - :o - thank you for your kind words. You made my day!

Enygirl - thanks! You are almost half-way to your goal. I WILL be reading your story - I'm sure! Keep doing what you are doing - it is working :)

Epica
07-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I have to thank you for your story, it was really motivating. CONGRATULATIONS for achieving your goal. May you be happy brave warrior =)

shancey
07-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Wow...what an inspiring story. It sounds so similar to mine (other than I am not at goal!!).
I have tried so many different things. I really was at a point where I didn't want to try anything else. I was sick to death of failing and why start one more time to just gain everything back?
I cried out to God - not that I hadn't before. I came to the realization that I cannot do this and I cannot keep weight off on my own. However, God did give me his Holy Spirit and one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control. So - I continue to pray relying on God's promises. I remind him of his promises (as if he needs reminding!). I remind him that his Word says he will never leave and forsake me (the reminding is obviously for me not him). At any rate, I'm far from goal but I am down 21 pounds. It has been hard but not too hard. I really am trying to take it one day at a time.
Your closing verse is a verse that I read just a few days ago. It touched me when I read it then and it touched me when I re-read it on your post.
Thank you so much for sharing!:hug:

SunshineCA
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Congratulations!! :cp: Your story is so inspiring! It just goes to show that it CAN be done! :)

Thanks for sharing! ;)

mseamons
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
How inspiring!!! Way to go!!!

Matilda08
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you for sharing I can wait to reach my goal and tell my story! YOu guys came very close to bringing tears to my eyes!!!!!

yoyonomoreinvegas
07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Already been said but I think it bears repeating - WOW!! You look spectacular! Thanks so much for sharing your story :bravo:

fiberlover
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
You look fabulous, too!

Thanks for sharing your story!

leelily
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I loved reading your post! Congratulations on your great success and growth!! I am floundering at the starting line myself so it is really good to know that it is possible to be successful!

Continued good health and happiness to you! :hug:

Elizabeth Isabelle
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
CountingDown, that was a very inspiring post. That is definitely one that I will re-read during the tough times.

CountingDown
07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Epica - thank you so much for your kind words! You are doing well. Keep at it, and I will be reading your goal story soon :)

shancey - you have definitely hit upon an incredibly important aspect of losing weight (at least for me). I thought I could do it on my own and always wondered why I failed. When I learned that I needed to rely on God, it made all the difference. I used a devotion-study book Faithfully Fit throughout Lent, which really helped me when the weight-loss slowed to a crawl.

Sunshine - thank you! I have really enjoyed reading your posts here on 3FC! You are off to a GREAT start :)

mseamons - Thank you! Welcome to 3FC. You have found a wonderful support system!

Matilda - <sniff> Thanks! You are doing so great - I bet ONEDERLAND is going to be in your sites very soon! Your upbeat attitude in all of your posts just makes me smile :D

YoYo - Thank you! Your encouragement along the way has meant so much to me. You are such a wonderful asset to 3FC!

Lori - I am still in awe at how wonderful you look in your avatar - down over 100 lbs. You are an amazing success story!!!

leelily - starting is really hard. Finding the right plan is really hard. But once you do - stick around here for support and advice - you really CAN do this!!! Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to help you along the way!

Elizabeth Isabelle - thank you!!!! :welcome3: to 3FC. I am looking forward to reading more posts from you as you get comfortable around here. You WILL find the support and help you need along your journey :)

Thanks to all for your posts - this place continues to amaze me. We have the BEST community for weight loss and support. Blessings to each and every one of you as you continue on this journey!

TJFitnessDiva
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Congratulations!!! Your story was very inspiring and you look fantastic! What a long way you have come :)

LitaScarlett
07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Fantastic story... really hits close to home. Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

BlueAngel1
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow! You are awesome! Our stats are very, very similar.... approximately how many calories did you have daily?

CountingDown
07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Tanee - thank you! I love your tag line. Taking it 1 day at a time is so important!

LitaScarlett - thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your story in the future!

BlueAngel - I started with about 1600 calories and adjusted from there. While I didn't officially "calorie cycle". I did allow myself a range every day. Most days in the beginning were 1400-1800 and I tried to stay at the lower end of the range and "average" 1600 per day over the week. The last few months, I averaged around 1200-1300 calories each day. Please remember that I have a sedentary job and I'm over 50 - both factors mean that I can eat less than others who are more active. While I exercise 60 minutes each day, it is moderate exercise.

BlueAngel1
07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I will be 50 in January also and quit smoking 2 weeks ago. I'm getting ready to start the TurboJam exercise program and the Cto5K also..... I'm going to the gym and lifting weights but I haven't been consistant before now but I'll be going 3x/week. I really want to get healthy and fit by my 50th b'day. One other question ..... if you don't mind ........ I'm wondering, since our height, age, and weightloss amounts are so close, did you have a problem with loose skin or did the exercise take care of that? Thanks for all your help!

CountingDown
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I will be 50 in January also and quit smoking 2 weeks ago. I'm getting ready to start the TurboJam exercise program and the Cto5K also..... I'm going to the gym and lifting weights but I haven't been consistant before now but I'll be going 3x/week. I really want to get healthy and fit by my 50th b'day. One other question ..... if you don't mind ........ I'm wondering, since our height, age, and weightloss amounts are so close, did you have a problem with loose skin or did the exercise take care of that? Thanks for all your help!

Exercise and healthy eating have helped tremendously. But, I do have loose skin. At first, it really bothered me - but - each week it seems like it is slowly tightening up some. Excellent undergarments really help. At this point, the only skin that is still bothering me are my "bat wings". And I'm still hopeful that they will improve with time and continued exercise. And, honestly - they don't bother me too much - I'm wearing sleeveless tops for the first time in YEARS :D

Lovely
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
CountingDown,
I just came across this thread. So a belated "Congratulations!" and "Thank you!"

:celebrate:

Thank you for posting your story. Seeing you (whom I've seen around the boards frequently) post about making goal is truly wonderful :hug:

suenami
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, wow! Such inspiring words! Congratulations on meeting your goal :)

-Susan

rmc9142
08-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Congratulations on reaching your goal. The title of your thread caught my eye - Don't Wait, Your Life is Calling. It made me think of how much of my life I've put on hold because of my weight.

You look amazing and your story is really inspiring - thanks for sharing it!

trishpix
09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
terrific letter and Gorgeous pics. You said it very well...knowledge is not enough. I need help staying in focus. life keeps sneaking up behind me and throwing me off! I hope it clicks soon!

alwaysej
09-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Just so wonderful. What an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy for you!!!

Quixotica
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I started out at around 220 (I had not looked at the scale in a LONG time) and now I am down to 195. My weight loss has slowed down and I was getting discouraged. Your photos encouraged me and so did your inspiring story. I will keep going...your story is so much like mine and if you can do it, so can I. I look forward to cross country skiing again and perhaps I will hike a 14r by next summer! Thanks!

Sheri

cakses
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
congratulations on reaching goal. you are awesome!

LadyNtreeg
10-05-2008, 02:32 PM
CountingDown, congrats on reaching your goal! :carrot:

You are a beautiful woman, both inside & out

As you can tell, I have just started my weight loss journey and still have many miles to go, but your story has truly 'touched' me. Especially since we're in the same age group and I too was beginning to wonder what my future would hold when I can't even accomplish the simplest of tasks now! I know I can do this, though. I figure it took years over 25 yrs to pack on the excess baggage, so if it takes me a year or two to lose it, I'm still wayyyyy ahead of the game! :D

SO, thank you for being such an inspiration. :hug:

Joybells
10-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Your scripture verse is what really caught my eye. I am trying to remember I need to be healthy to do His work.

I related to much of what you posted. Thank you for being an encouragment to others! :thanks:

inspired by you
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Congratulation on reaching your goal! I know I am only echoing everyone else but goal stories like yours is what keeps a lot of us on track. When times seem their worst and the weight is not coming off fast enough and you think its never going to happen there are great stories like this one that give you that little lift you need to get you through that next work-out or the next salad. So thank you very much for sharing. you are truly an inspiration.

CountingDown
11-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Faerie - you have done so well! I love that you stress perseverance, because it is so important! I know I will be reading your goal story soon!

suenami - thank you! Sometimes I wish I was 6'4" too!

rmc9142 - thanks! You are doing GREAT! Keep it up!

trishpix - keep at it! Sometimes it takes some time until it clicks. It will, if you just keep working at it until it does! You CAN do this!

alwaysej - thank you! And your tagline is correct - you CAN! I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Quixotica - congrats on your loss so far. You are down another 9 lbs. from your post. You ARE doing this! I'm proud of you and honored that I can help in a small way :)

cakses - thank you! And thanks for all of your encouragement as a fellow red team member. You are doing GREAT and I'm thrilled to see your progress so far!

LadyNtreeg - you really can do this! And, it really doesn't matter how long it takes, just that you keep at it and don't give up! Thank you for your very kind words!

Joybells - look at you - down 10 lbs. already! Congrats! And thanks!!!

Gloria - thanks for your post, it really made me smile! You are doing GREAT! Keep it up and I will be reading your goal story one of these days :D

Thanks to everyone that posted! The community we have here at 3FC is such a blessing for me. Maintenance is going well, and through prayer, and 3FC holding me accountable, it has been a pleasant journey indeed!

Blessings to all!

Laurie

sweetchic82
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
YOU are my inspiration to lose this weight just have to presevere :D

zeinab
01-01-2009, 08:22 AM
CD, what a success you are. You're a an inspiration indeed.

Bless you all girls & guys, who are on that long & dusty long road, of trying to lose the excess weight.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. XXXXX:dizzy:

CountingDown
01-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you sweetchic and Zeinab!

I look forward to reading of your journey and YOUR goal stories :)

SisuInWI
01-01-2009, 10:12 AM
How inspiring it is to read these success stories as we start this new year and get closer to our goals. Thank you!

second chance
01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
WOW!!! you look amazing now!!!!!
What a touching story!!!!

Coffee Luver
01-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Thank you SO MUCH for posting. I am just starting out (again), and being able to read these success stories really help keep me going. :hug: THANK YOU!!! And congratulations!!

Cclover
01-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Good for you!! :]

I hope I can be that successful too!

DiBaskin
01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
What an inspiring story. I just started my diet. I was feeling weak tonight and decide to come on here for inspiration. Thanks for inspiring me to keep going.
By the way you look great.

NightengaleShane
01-05-2009, 07:32 AM
This is a beautifully written story. You have always been a dynamic, inspiring presence here.

Accountability and community are indeed two VERY important factors.

Unlike most people, I don't think you are going to be dreading 50 ;) because you really have no reason to. You'll spend 50 being fit, healthy, and beautiful, just like you are now. :)

CountingDown
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
SisuInWI - thank you!

daniellag :o Thanks! I'm glad you found us here at 3FC!

Krista - Thank you for your kind words! looks like you got the new year off to a great start - look at those miles adding up:)

Cclover - stick around here and you WILL be successful! 3FC is a great resource. I look forward to reading of your progress :)

DiBaskin - thank you! I'm glad I helped. Coming here and reading goal stories really helped me too! I love how supportive everyone here is :)

Shane - I think you WILL be superwoman! You have the drive and tenacity to accomplish anything you set your mind to! Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me. You are one of the folk that has so inspired me on my journey. You are a blessing to our 3FC community!

Mommy2ndTime
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am just beginning this journey, and success stories like yours are so inspirational to me!!

ProteinGal
01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
:bravo:

Congratulations, it was such an inspiring story! Thank you for that, I sure needed a lift today.

CountingDown
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Mommy2ndTime - congrats on your loss so far! I look forward to reading of your progress. Thank you so much for your post!

Corefull - thank you for your kind words! They are much appreciated! Blessings!

bristar
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
WOW! You look amazing!! Congratulations on all your success!! I hope to continue to find inspiration in stories like yours, CountingDown!!
;)

Cie
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
:cloud9::dancer::bravo:

Welcome to the maintainers lane. :goodluck:

chuba
03-20-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for sharing such a motivational experience!

labellaleah
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
wow! this brought tears to my eyes. thanks so much for posting this and congrats!

joleystar
04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
wow. you are amazing CountingDown. I really connected with your story. Many congratulations on your success of achieving and maintaining your goal weight. you are truly an inspiration to me.

angel2be
04-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I love this - the truth, the realism and the honesty. You are an inspiration and thank you for sharing :hug:

sortosky
04-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Thanks for sharing , and congraduations!https://revenuecents.com/upload/41/1239440377/random.gif

Thighs Be Gone
04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
I absolutely loved this post from you Counting Down. You have--for several months now--been one of my inspirations here at 3FC. I really loved your emphasis on accountability and community. Those are the two NEW puzzle pieces for me too. 3FC has absolutely 100% been GOD sent--when people I really care about ask me "how I did it" (and they too need to lose weight) I tell them about 3FC and how important it has been for me. People say I am "doing this on my own." I can't say that. I feel like I am on the 3FC church bus. LOL.

For me, the 3FC has worked because people here know exactly every emotion I am feeling in regarding to ANYTHING weight related--they have been there too living 24/7 as an obese person, just as I did for so many years. I also think we are all more "real" because we are on the internet rather than looking at each other in a circle.

Counting Down, thanks for the post--yep, I know it's from several months ago--it's an oldie but a goodie!

NicoleDiana
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss and thank you very much for a straight-forward post about how (and why) you did it.

CountingDown
04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Cie - congratulations on your loss! You are doing so well at maintaining! You are an inspiration!

chuba - thank you for your kind words!

labellaleah - welcome to 3FC! Hang around here and I will be reading your goal story soon!

joley - you are doing GREAT! 19 lbs is a wonderful accomplishment. Keep at it, and I will be checking out YOUR goal pictures :)

angel2be - thank you so much for your kind words! And, I LOVE the shoes in your avatar!

sortosky - glad you found us here at 3FC. I appreciate your post! Thank you!

Thighs Be Gone - aw, thanks, you made me blush :o I love reading your posts around these parts, I look forward to reading what you have to say. We seem to have hit upon many of the same things as being integral to our success. I am so proud of you and your progress. And - your goal pictures are amazing! I'm glad there are people like you in maintenance with me - it makes the journey so much nicer :yes:

NicoleDiana - thanks for your post! I meant what I wrote. You are on journey that can be fun and exciting. Take it as it comes, and never give up! I can't wait to read of your progress!

megwini
04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Wow, how inspiring. I have never known yo-yo dieting, because I always just let myself be fat. I accidentally lost weight once, but since I hadn't tried to I wasn't prepared to maintain it and gained it back. And I tried dieting before but only lasted one week because my heart wasn't in it. So this is my first real serious attempt at losing weight, and I feel so fortunate to have moving stories such as yours to remind me why I must keep going, even if the scale stops moving. Because how I am eating now is healthy, regardless of my weight. It's not just about dieting, it's about lifestyle. So true, so true. Congratulations on reaching your goal. May your life be blessed!

bandit2
05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Countingdown - congratulations on your incredible weight loss & journey.
Very inspiring. Nice pictures. Thank you for sharing your storey.

mizmizzy
05-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Agreed -- your an inspiration and your story is touching! :) Just the right motivation to get thinking positivly ;) so thank you!

suzie42
05-17-2009, 08:47 AM
You are inspirational! Thanks for sharing your story!

Suzie

:hug:

CountingDown
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
megwini - thank you! And, congratulations on reaching ONEDERLAND!

bandit2 - thanks! I love your avatar!

suzie42 - Thanks Suzie! I can't wait to read your ONEDERLAND mini goal post! I'm betting it will be soon :D

mizmizzy - thanks for your kind words. Congrats on your loss so far! You are doing GREAT!

Meeky2004
05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
You are awesome! Thanks for your story:)

ladyviv
06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
What a great motivator, and inspiration to me. I can do this. I'm gonna take a week to make my grocery list, a few menus to get me started. Plus, I want a week to psych myself up for this challenge.

ohfaithful
06-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow your story is phenomenal! It seems that I have so far to go and cant seem to lose anything no matter what I do. I just turned 49 and am again trying to lose the weight I regained after restarting some medication. I'm frustrated and feeling sorry for myself but thank you for your story of inspiration. I needed to hear it today!

mom4life
06-13-2009, 10:11 AM
congratulations!!!!

abetterme
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
congrats! this is a very inspiring story. :-)

jellybellyjen
06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
GOOD JOB!!!:carrot:

caitybates
06-16-2009, 02:50 AM
im glad this got bumped into the "new posts" area because i never got to read it and your past troubles really spoke to me! i see many connecting threads in our journeys (though i am just at the beginning of mine so maybe you will save me some trouble!). reading about your success really has me motivated :).

CountingDown
06-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you Meeky2004! Wow - moving to Japan, how exciting! Keep us posted on your progress!

Tammy - Thanks! I love your avatar - what an adorable dog! You CAN do this! Keep posting here at 3FC!

ohfaithful :hug: Thank you for your kind words. You CAN do this. It may be slow going with the medication, but you really can do it! Speed isn't important. Sometimes I got discouraged that it took so long, but really - in the long run - it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there - only that you do :)

mom4life - Thanks - and :congrat: on your first 5 down :)

Kelsey21 - thank you! I appreciate your comment!

jellybellyjen - Thanks! Look how close you are to your goal - wow you are doing GREAT!

caitybates - Your comments made me reach out and give you a :hug: You CAN do this! You are so close to your first 10 lb. loss! :woohoo:

nikkibabyyyyxo
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Great job!!!!!

nume09
06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Well you sure are an inspiration to the many, many, many of us who are trying to achieve our goals, no matter how many pounds that is. Thanks for the story and the inspiration. And you look great!

gingerlu
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Your story is so inspiring. To do what you did at 50 years old--that's awesome. It's stories like yours that make me believe I can do it too! :smug:

jellybellyjen
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
:wave:

THANKS COUNTINGDOWN FOR COMPLIMENT:D I AM CLOSE :dizzy: HAVING A **** OF A TIME WITH THE LAST 20PDS.:devil: HAVE TIL SEPT TO GET IT OFF I'M TRYING EVERYTHING A PERSON CAN THINK OF:smug:

:hug:S

Moralia
07-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Loved reading your story!!! Very inspiring!! And you are absolutely glowing in your photos!!! Beautiful!! :)

txestella
07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for sharing your story!

darkfae
07-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Congratulations! It must have been so satisfying to see that number on the scale!

just_a_dreamy1
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Congratulations on your fantastic acheivement!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It really meant something to me :)

CountingDown
07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
nikki - you are doing so well, goal is in sight! Thank you for your kind words!

nume09 - thanks! You CAN do this! Keep going!

gingerlu - Thank you for your kind words! We are the same height - you definitely CAN do this! I look forward to reading your progress posts!

Moralia - what a beautiful avatar! You look fantastic! Congrats on your progress!

estella - glad you joined us at 3FC I can't wait to read more of your posts! Keep posting!

darkfae - yes, it is inspiring! You will see it too one of these days! Keep posting here at 3FC - it is a great help on your journey!

Penelope - thanks! I enjoy reading your posts, you are definitely a blessing to have around here at 3FC!

waiting2exhale
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow! I too have tears in my eyes ! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I think you may have just opened my eyes wide enough to help me through some of my stuggles too! You are really and angel! And congrats to you on your achievments! Oh wait!! I gotta go, my life is calling!!:callme:

Pnut Butter
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
congrats girl! it takes alot of willpower to push yourself and stick with a healthy regimen. glad you can be an inspiration :bravo:

CountingDown
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
waiting2exhale - thank you for your kind words! You can do this, and I can't wait to read of your progress! It is nice to have another Michigander around here :)

Pnut Butter - thank you for your post! What is really great about eating healthy foods, is that eventually you actually PREFER the healthy foods. I now reach for them first. :D

zea mays
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
And the story unfolds...

OK, when my father died in his 50s, he was pushing 500 lbs. Needless to day, I am genetically predisposed to being overweight. I faced many challenges as a child, and learned to be an emotional eater at a very young age. Combine that with parents and grandparents that thought food was the panacea for all ills, and it is no surprise that I have battled my weight for most of my life.

I spent many, many years losing and gaining the same 80 lbs. The cycle is a familiar one: find a new diet, commit, work like a dog, fall of the wagon, give up, slowly re-gain some weight, realize that I had failed – yet again, give up, gain more weight.

And, what does it really matter, anyway? So, I am a bit chunky. I am successful in other areas of my life. I have great kids, I have a career where I help a lot of people, I have a wonderful church family that loves and appreciates me, I have an adoring husband that loves me unconditionally. I have a nice “fat girl” wardrobe that is professional and fun and makes me feel OK about myself. Who needs to be thin, anyway?

… and the cycle continues – over and over.

Then, with age 50 is just around the corner, I slowly realized that I CAN’T do all of the things I want to do. I can’t hike with the kids. I no longer cross-country ski. I abhor cleaning the house. I have neglected my gardens. And - if I keep up like this, what will the future hold?

So, how did it come to this?

Slowly, sneakily, stealthily - a pound here, less activity there, leisure activities that require no physical effort. Who has time to exercise anyway? Portion control and mindless – emotional eating have always been at the heart of my food issues. I like food – too much. Eating triggers something in my brain that makes me feel good. It makes me happy. It comforts me.

It is said, that the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again, expecting different results. Thus, if I was to lose weight - yet again, it had to be different this time. No diet. No deprivation. No regimented plans bound by time goals.

I have read hundreds of articles and books on losing weight. I know the science and the math involved. I can spout out the calorie count for most foods the way a baseball fan knows RBIs. Obviously knowledge is not enough. Action was required. A PLAN was required.

And thus began my journey to health and fitness on July 4, 2007. The journey has evolved; the plan has changed as the year has unfolded. It will continue to change. That is the way it is with lifestyle changes.

Currently, I count calories, eat 6 times daily, exercise 5-6 hours per week, balance 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein) my calories, limit simple carbohydrate rich foods, and drink plenty of water.

Accountability and community are two new pieces for me on my weight loss journey. Recording my weight, exercise, and food intake; and using the information to adjust my plan has really been eye-opening. And I can’t stress enough, the importance of community. Finding 3FC in August was a God-send! My husband was getting really tired of my soliloquies on weight loss. My friends were in the same place. I needed to connect with people that “get it”. People that wouldn’t think I was crazy for getting excited about being able to do a push up, or finding a great salad dressing or the marvels of a “stretchie” band.

Through 3FC, I have learned that it really is about life-style changes. It is about learning, and growing, and getting back on plan when you stray. It is about celebrating success, comforting each other, and holding each other accountable. Thanks to the wonderful maintainers here, I have learned that I can expect to follow my plan for the rest of my life. They have taught me that maintenance is hard work, but it is doable, and it is worth it.

I couldn’t have done this without all of you. YOU made the difference for me. And, if you are still reading this, I leave you with one last thought:

If I can do this, YOU can do this. It IS worth the effort, sacrifices, and changes that you need to make. It won’t happen overnight, which is actually a good thing. You will grow, and change along the way. Enjoy the journey – celebrate each and every day that God has given you. Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed.

Do it now - don’t wait, your life is calling.

What a wonderful post! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

CountingDown
07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Zea - thank you! Congratulations on your loss so far! Keep posting here - 3FC is such a great support site!

OperationShapeShift
07-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Great job with the weight loss! Iʼm inspired! Cant wait to see another progress pics. Cheers, Erin

CountingDown
07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Erin, :welcome: to 3FC! Thanks for your post!

bcort
07-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Thank you for your inspiring words! That's why I just joined 3FC - I see people who understand what I'm going through, & have overcome!

Judy Lynn
07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed.

That is really what it is all about isn't it?

Thank you for posting your very heartfelt story. Congratulations on reaching your goal and maintaining. :hug:

Onederchic
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
You're an amazing person and inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story and congrats on your successes :hug:

CountingDown
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
bcort - Thanks! You are on your way, keep at it and I will be reading your goal story one of these days!

Judy Lynn - persistence, not perfection is a wonderful mantra. You are right on target with that! Thanks for comment! And :congrat: on your 9 lb. loss so far! Those first lbs. are hard!

Michelle - thank you! Congrats again on reaching onederland! You are such an inspiration to all the chickies around here. And, your kind words of support are fantastic! I am blessed to travel this journey with you.

Onederchic
07-24-2009, 08:03 AM
bcort - Thanks! You are on your way, keep at it and I will be reading your goal story one of these days!

Judy Lynn - persistence, not perfection is a wonderful mantra. You are right on target with that! Thanks for comment! And :congrat: on your 9 lb. loss so far! Those first lbs. are hard!

Michelle - thank you! Congrats again on reaching onederland! You are such an inspiration to all the chickies around here. And, your kind words of support are fantastic! I am blessed to travel this journey with you.

Awww, that means so much to me! Thank you :hug::hug:

Dot
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
What a lovely, inspiring story. :)

CountingDown
08-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you, Dot! We are glad you joined us here at 3FC. I look forward to reading of your progress :)

time2Bme
08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I am so glad I saw this thread. Counting Down, thank you so much!!!

This was exactly what I needed to hear. I am so glad I found this site and am hopeful that I can be as successful as you have been.

Congratulations :carrot:

SpinyNorma
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
:bravo:

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

Congratulations!!!!

You are an absolute inspiration and you look absolutely gorgeous in the photos!

:congrat:

CountingDown
08-21-2009, 09:57 PM
:welcome2: time2Bme - Thank you for your kind words! You can DEFINITELY be successful. Keep coming to 3FC, it really does help!

Spiny - Thanks!!! I'm so glad you joined us here at 3FC. I can't wait to see your goal pictures :yes: And, I ADORE your avatar!

time2Bme
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
:welcome2: time2Bme - Thank you for your kind words! You can DEFINITELY be successful. Keep coming to 3FC, it really does help!

Thank you so much. It is wonderful to be here.

dmc2009
08-30-2009, 06:15 PM
You look amazing, you inspire me!

Thankss!

Alright
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I just saw your photo pictorial thing and just love it. I love seeing before and after pics, and any in between. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, I'm going to do up my photos like yours.

rose89
08-31-2009, 03:09 AM
This thread is very inspirational and has given me hope! I can tell that this is something I'm going to come back and read time and time again, whenever I feel like giving up.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us :hug:

noussa
08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
This is EXACTLY what I NEEDED tonight! THANK YOU! :)

IndianaGirl
08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow I'm impressed! I have lost my motivation in the past few months-but this was inspiring and I think I'm motivated to get back on track! Thanks for sharing!

CountingDown
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
dmc2009 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/dmc2009.html) - thank you for your post! I hope you are safe from all the fires in CA right now! You CAN do this!

Alright (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/alright.html) :congrat: on your loss! You are almost half-way there! AWESOME. Absolutely, do take pictures along the way. While they are hard to do, you will be so glad that you have them. They really DO tell the story of your progress. You are looking good, girl!

rose89 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/rose89.html) - Thanks! I LOVE your avatar! And :welcome: to 3fc. I can't wait to read of your progress! Keep us posted on how you are doing!

noussa (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/noussa.html) - thanks for your post! I love your signature. You are so right! Losing weight is such an awesome gift to yourself and your family. It makes so much difference. I almost cry when I think about how much more I can do with my family members now! Keep at it - it IS worth it!

IndianaGirl (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/indianagirl.html) :hug: Thank you! I'm honored! You absolutely CAN do this! You are almost 1/3 of the way to your goal. Every effort and change that you make is soooo worth it! Don't let anything stop you! Keep us posted on how you are doing. I can't wait to read of your progress!

Jamiekins
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow that was such a beautiful sucess story!!! I am really inspired by you!!!! THANK U!!!!

simplymybest
10-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm new here...but am more and more encouraged as I browse the forum. Thanks so much for sharing...and I'm so excited about getting to the point of maintenance...I've also been a yo-yo dieter...but hopefully...not anymore!!

taeotis
10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello ladies. All of the stories on this board are totally amazing. I'm new here and I'm sure you ladies will help me during this journey.

SilverLife
07-15-2010, 06:03 PM
CountingDown, thank you very much for posting your story. How inspiring you are.

Yes, 3FC is dear.

:)

Cglasscock1
07-16-2010, 12:04 AM
What a fantastic post and your pictures are amazing. You look great!!
Thanks for sharing your story.

blonie123
07-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Wow. Your story really reminded me of myself in several ways.
Thank you for your inspiration.

samoonduh
08-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks so much for this inspiring post. I hope to have the same success.

bigjosie
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
congratulations! I hope to join you soon!

FutureFitChick
02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I keep coming back to your story as one of my favorite inspirations. Congratulations again!

aka8941
07-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I hope to experience the same community and accountability feeling that you have. I too spout soliloquies, and can't help myself...but I'm sick of talking, so I took action, starting tonight, with a 45 minute walk. It's time. I'm 21 years old, and watching my life go by. My blood pressure is elevated and I'm so tired all the time and need some help getting through this. Thank you for your post.

fragmanlar
07-03-2011, 10:38 AM
You don't know me but I have been watching your ticker and WL post on the red team.