Weight Loss Support - What do you consider Perfectly on Plan?

jenguin
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm just curious what everyone considers to be on plan or perfectly on plan for themselves. I've been doing this for awhile and am still trying to work that out for myself. Do you have certain health guidelines as well as staying within your calorie range, point range, etc? I know this will vary depending on what your plan is, but I'm curious to know everyone's answers no matter what plan you're currently working!

Spoz
07-12-2008, 10:53 AM
On plan for me is sticking within my calorie allowance, or not going too far beyond it. Though I'm rarely on plan :yikes:

bargoo
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Staying within my calorie allotment and not cheating.

Heather
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Perfectly on plan?

Eating not only within my calorie limits, but getting at least 25% protein, and not more than 30% fat. Getting enough calcium, eating at least 7 servings of fruit and veggies and not eating a lot of processed foods.

Also, a perfect day involves getting in a decent amount of exercise.

How many days am I perfect? Not a lot! At least something is off almost every day. But that's okay -- it gives me something to strive for.

sm177
07-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Perfect for me is eating within my calorie range with not too many carbs and a 45 minute run with some weights. Something is always off, I think I'm "perect" MAYBE 2-3 days a week, if that.

Rain Dancer
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
As someone who struggles with perfection issues and is a very "All or Nothing!" kind of girl, I try to teach myself that absolutes like staying "perfectly on plan" are not what I need to strive for. If I did, I would get bogged down and fail. Fast and hard, as I have so many times in the past.

A day where I have done well and stayed on plan, to the best of my abilities is where I have kept within or very close to my calorie limit, drank enough water, took my vitamins and got some kind of exercise.

If I go a little over, as I did yesterday, or I didn't exercise, I can easily consider that a failure for the day. I can start letting my thought processes go in a very destructive and self-abusive direction and next thing I know, I am in the throes of a full-blown binge. I have to constantly remind myself that this process is not about being perfect. It is about learning how to live a healthier lifestyle. And about achieving a healthy, normal weight for me. Whatever that weight ultimately turns out to be. :D

CountingDown
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Staying in my calorie range
Balancing my calories - 40/30/30 (as close as possible)
Exercising - at least some every day
64 oz. water
Multi-vitamin and calcium supplements
25 g fiber
7 hours of sleep

I am rarely POP, but I'm probably 90% at least 90% of the time :D

LynseyLikes2Lose
07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Staying in my calorie range. Drinking 2-4 32 oz bottles of water. Exercising at least 5 days a week.

ladybugnessa
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
on plan: eating only beachy food
PERFECTLY ON PLAN: eating only beachy food in recommended amounts

i'm often ON PLAN
I"m never PERFECTLY on plan

fiberlover
07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
On plan: staying within calorie limit and exercising

Perfectly on plan:
making my nutrient ratios
staying within calories
exercising
eating clean foods

FB
07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I try my best to stay perfectly on plan. For me that means:

At least 45 minutes daily exercise
Eat clean within my calorie range, plenty of lean protein, no refined carbohydrates, tons of veggies
Drink tons of water
Take my vitamins and supplements

I give myself 3-4 rest days per month, but still consider that to be perfectly on plan. Those rest days are important too!

I don't have many days that don't adhere to these guidelines. Occasionally something comes up, a holiday, a party and I won't eat so clean (but stay within cal limits), but I've always exercised and followed my other guidelines on those days.

starchild
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
For me, it's staying within my allotted calorie range and nutrition plan, exercising, and drinking my water.

But, I also consider "Perfectly On Plan" those days where I am faced with a social challenge, say dinner at a relative's house out-of-town (happened very recently), and I must come up with some alternatives to what they are all eating. I feel POP when I am successful enough to do that along with feeling no guilt whatsoever.

Cheree
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Whenever I'm on a "plan"...or just my weight loss efforts in general, if I can strive for at least 90% of what I want to do every day, I feel successful. Rarely is anyone 100% perfect every day. It helps to tell yourself over and over, "It's not all-or-nothing, it's do the best you can as often as possibe." GOOD LUCK!

EZMONEY
07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Having beer left in the fridge at the end of the week.

JulieJ08
07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
The idea of perfectly on plan kinda bugs me, because there is so much focus on little things you did/didn't do, way out of proportion to all the good things you did do that day and all the other days that week, month or whatever. Not that I don't understand you have to be on top of the little things to stay off the slippery slopes. But something about that focus always feels not quite right to me. I'm working on finding the balance.

jenguin
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Great answers, everyone! I see people talk about both being "on plan" and "perfectly on plan" periodically on the boards so I was kind of curious exactly what that means for everyone. For me personally, I think I can still be perfectly on plan and still allow for indulgences sometimes - it wouldn't work for me otherwise. I don't ever like feeling like I'm depriving myself!

I also try to view some of my goals (especially exercise goals) in terms of a week, even though the day by day choices definitely make a difference for that week. My goals tend to mirror Heather's pretty closely when it comes to the food requirements.

I am also similar to most people who have responded, that I feel like I'm "on plan" most of the time and strive to be "perfectly on plan" but don't have a lot of days like that. So far it seems to be working for me though.

Zima
07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
A perfect day for me is eating less than the calories I'm alloted (because I never go over anyway, and eating below makes me feel like I've accomplished something extra) and going to the gym to do whatever I have planned there for the day. Every day so far for the past 2 weeks has been perfect :)

Heather
07-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Some interesting distinctions. I would say I'm on plan when I'm eating mindfully and getting some exercise. And that can include some indulgences...

gailr42
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I am just trying to maintain right now. On plan for maintaining is eating as much as I want in the fruit and veggie area, sticking to my allotted portions of meat, bread and pasta. I allow myself good quality treats like a bit of good chocolate or a piece of cheesecake that a guy at work occasionally makes and brings to share. Probably most important, it means no eating peanut butter out of the jar, no snacking on cereal out of the box, no eating wierd doughnuts out of a box at work - that kind of thing. I recognize "on plan" when I do it! Part of it is being mindful as Heather mentions. My mind has been on vacation the last few days.

Pandora123a
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
For me, perfectly on plan means eating mindfully...not mindlessly. It means positive choices, stopping when I am full, and no junky nibbling "because its there".

I haven't fully worked exercise in yet, but soon that will join perfectly on plan.

I deliberately am not counting calories, carbs or anything else because that kind of rigidity for me has been counterproductive...I am trying to incorporate a positive way of eating into my life forever!

Ironically, so far it is proving more successful than all my extreme diets...and I am a person who is able to rigidly deprive myself for months, before falling off and gaining it all back.

BlueToBlue
07-13-2008, 12:31 AM
For me, POP means coming in at or under my calorie limit. I'm on plan if I'm not over the limit by more than 100 calories. Some days I just need a little extra food and I figure an extra 100 calories isn't going to make a difference in the long run. There are other days when my calories come in low.

I also shoot for 100g of protein per day and when I'm maintaining, rather than losing, 25% of my calories from good fats. If I'm on plan, I almost always hit my protein goal without even thinking about it. The good fats goal is a lot harder for me to hit.

Exercise is also easy for me, so I don't really consider it when determining whether I'm POP or not. It's a given that I've done my exercise for the day; I never skip any workouts unless I'm sick or it is otherwise physically impossible for me to workout.

GR8 2B48
07-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Being POP for me is staying within my Weight Watchers daily points target along with using the weekly point allowance each week, following the 8 Healthy Guidelines and getting in 4 AP/day(or 10,000 steps).