Exercise! - Best body shaping exercises ever!!

150reasons
07-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Anyone ever heard of Callanetics? It's not calisthenics, it's this body shaping exercise that works really, really, really fast. I used to do the exercises in college to keep me in shape. I had completely forgotten about them until I found a book in the thrift store a few weeks ago. I am not joking or exaggerating, but I saw a difference in my body the THIRD time I did the full routine. That's amazing if you ask me. It doesn't include any sort of cardio, so one would still have to include that in an exercise program. The program can be done anywhere. The book shows them using a ballet barre, but I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter and it works just fine. Move over pilates, I will never stop doing Callanetics again.:D

snapless
07-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Looks similar to some stuff I've seen before (that works!). Might have to order me some DVDs.

mescelestus
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
because this post was so exciting, i just bid on a callanetics dvd on ebay! i'll let you know what i think when it arrives.

CandyKisses0204
07-12-2008, 11:22 AM
umm im buying a dvd off ebay and book from barnes and noble. umm i hope i get a good book though cause there are like 50 if them.

150reasons
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
The book I have is called Callanetics 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. Let me know how you guys like the program. I really love it!! I am actually considering (once I hit that size 12) becoming a certified callanetics teacher. This stuff has been around forever, I really don't understand why it is not more popular.

CandyKisses0204
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
ooo man! i almost got that one. i got callanetics: fit forever... i think. Anyway i only paid 6.00 and that included shipping. So i suppose if i like it i can fork over another 6 for the 10years younger and maybe the 30day one as well

mazza
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM
So what does this consist of? Is it like a resistance/toning type of exercise?

150reasons
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Ummm, I guess it is resistance using your own body weight. The main difference I see in these and other exercises is that you are required to move only 1/4 of an inch at a time. If you were to look at the pictures in the book, and not read the directions, you would probably think that it was just like a million other exercise routines out there. I myself have tried a million other routines, and this one has worked for me quicker than anything else. I remember quite some time ago, I had done pilates four times a week for about three solid months. I got stronger, but I didn't see a bit of difference in how my clothes were fitting. I did Callanetics twice a week for a month and my clothes were falling off of my body. I literally walked out of a pair of jeans:o (fortunately the only person around was a dear friend who thought it was fantastic.....and pretty funny) If you get the book I recommend reading it thoroughly before trying the exercises just to understand exactly how to position your body. I thought the explanations were pretty clear, but if anyone has any questions, just send a message through this thread and I will do my best to answer it.

150reasons
07-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I guess I didn't fully answer your question, Mazza. It is divided into stomach, legs, hips and butt, and stretching. It (the book I have) also has explanations for how to do the exercises if you have bad knees or a bad back. The only equipment used is a ballet barre. I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter. The exercises will also simultaneously tone your neck and back. You won't get "buff" or bulky, just lean and toned.

Starrynight
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Wow, this is exciting.. Thank you so much for making this thread. I just started doing Pilates (just a DVD, no investment in equipment) and now I'm switching to this! I just checked and my library has a few books, do you recommend and particular ones that are really good?

net knee
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I just went to amazon and bought: hips and butt, stomach, legs, beginner callanetics and callanetics tapes... yeah VHS but I'm getting all 5 for like 25 bucks!! I got the beginner one for 39 CENTS!! I can't wait to start these hopefully it will help me lose some more inches and start toning my arms, belly, and thighs-- the jiggly parts :)

pintobean
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Anyone ever heard of Callanetics? It's not calisthenics, it's this body shaping exercise that works really, really, really fast. I used to do the exercises in college to keep me in shape. I had completely forgotten about them until I found a book in the thrift store a few weeks ago. I am not joking or exaggerating, but I saw a difference in my body the THIRD time I did the full routine. That's amazing if you ask me. It doesn't include any sort of cardio, so one would still have to include that in an exercise program. The program can be done anywhere. The book shows them using a ballet barre, but I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter and it works just fine. Move over pilates, I will never stop doing Callanetics again.:D

Thank you for the info...I might have to give this a try. I'm not sure if I can do it as I do have a bad knee. I read on their website that it's for everyone no matter if you have a bad knee or back. So it should be interesting. Somehow it seems like pilates. I tried pilates only once in my life.

I just checked my library and they have the following books on Callanetics -

Callanetics countdown: 30 days to a beautiful body; the firm, shapely body you want in only minutes a day
Callanetics fit foreverAnd a VHS Tape

Beginning callanetics

full of grace
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
If I recall, this is mostly like isometrics. You isolate muscle groups and do very intense but slow and deep contractions and releases that really make a difference over time (and not a lot of time, either).

I first did Callanetics in the mid-1980s and reduced my measurements by quite a bit, very quickly (but this is when I was in high school and generally fit and at a healthy weight, compared to the decades since then).

I tried Callanetics again in the late-1990s (when I weighed somewhere in the 185 to 195 range) and found it to be less effective.

I assume that just means the results are OBVIOUS on a smaller person who is "tightening" and "pulling in" quickly, vs. on someone who has more serious weight to lose before the results show.

Now that I've done Pilates quite a bit, I think there is some crossover there as well, but only in some of the exercises.

Most of all, I remember doing MANY more reps of each exercise than I had done on any other program, but the movements are so very small and fast that it's actually DECEPTIVELY EASY to do.

I loved Callanetics each time I did it. (And some of the movements, you can even do from bed--so it's a great choice for someone JUST getting started with exercise and muscle work.)

I believe I bought my VHS tapes used in a bookstore back in the '80s and still have them--but have seen DVDs and books on eBay and such since then.

That Callan lady is a force of nature, for sure! Does anyone know if she's still alive? I recall her being quite old in those '80s VHS tapes (of course, I was a teenager, so perhaps I thought she was "old" because she was over 50 or something. Ah... how times change).

;)

Have fun!

150reasons
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Starry: the only book I have ever owned or used is Ten Years Younger in Ten Hours. I love it. I can't objectively comment on any other book or video because I have never used them.

Grace: I also thought that the results came quicker when I was much thinner, but I still think the results I am getting are pretty extraordinary. I am pretty sure that Callan is still alive, although she would be almost seventy right about now. Can you imagine being seventy and still having a ballet dancers body? That would be cool.

mazza
07-17-2008, 01:18 AM
I guess I didn't fully answer your question, Mazza. It is divided into stomach, legs, hips and butt, and stretching. It (the book I have) also has explanations for how to do the exercises if you have bad knees or a bad back. The only equipment used is a ballet barre. I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter. The exercises will also simultaneously tone your neck and back. You won't get "buff" or bulky, just lean and toned.

Whoa, it sounds really complete. Thanks for the detailed info =].

I like the sound of this, and think it would be great to incorporate into my routine, for some variety.

Thank you for sharing!

full of grace
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Grace: I also thought that the results came quicker when I was much thinner, but I still think the results I am getting are pretty extraordinary. I am pretty sure that Callan is still alive, although she would be almost seventy right about now. Can you imagine being seventy and still having a ballet dancers body? That would be cool.

Excellent that you're getting extraordinary results! That's awesome!! I may have to dig out my old tapes again!!! ;)

That dancer's body is something, isn't it? I remember her pose with "holding a penny" at three key points between her legs, to show the ultimate shape! Amazing!

Thank you for the post. :D

Silverstar33
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi all,
I don't mean to discredit anyone who has had great results with this program, but it has a bit of a "too good to be true" feel to me. I just can't wrap my little brain around why this wouldn't be more popular? I tried to do a little research, and it the only complaint I could find is that it is a little bit boring.

I'm no exercise guru, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Just my two cents, I hope I don't offend anyone.

texasbunny
07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm sort of on the same boat as silverstar in wondering "am I missing something here?" I congratulate everyone who has had success with these exercises, I am just wondering why I've never heard of them before. Is it really just isometrics, etc, with a different name?

I notice that quite a few people in the thread have ordered some Callanetics books and videos, so I (and many of us!) would love to hear whatever you'd like to share about your experience and results!

full of grace
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm sort of on the same boat as silverstar in wondering "am I missing something here?" I congratulate everyone who has had success with these exercises, I am just wondering why I've never heard of them before. Is it really just isometrics, etc, with a different name?

I notice that quite a few people in the thread have ordered some Callanetics books and videos, so I (and many of us!) would love to hear whatever you'd like to share about your experience and results!

I think it pretty much is isometrics with another name.

I definitely got results doing it, multiple times. Certainly more obvious and FASTER results when I was already at a healthy weight (vs. very overweight or obese).

I just looked up my "master measurements spreadsheet" from whenever I've been tracking ANYTHING on my bod and it looks like I never logged my Callanetics results. I *did* log my Body Flex results, though, and I recall the time and the amount of change to be very similar, having done Callanetics twice before having tried Body Flex (and then again after).

(This is from eight years ago, but here's the change over 20 days.)

Bust: down 1"
Waist: down 3.5"
Abs: down 2.5"
Hips: down 2.5"

So, that was 20 days of daily Body Flex, and--like I said--I recall my results with Callanetics were VERY similar.

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I've done Callanetics several times and every time had results--and fast--but they were more noticeable when I was under 170 pounds to start with.

As for why no one has heard of it? Who knows!! Obviously, it's been on my radar for nearly 25 years but something like Atkins I had never heard of until 2003! Wouldn't you say that it's been around long enough that I should've heard of it before then? Who knows why some folks hear about stuff that's working for some people and others don't hear about it 'til it reaches "critical mass" and gets HUGE? Or some things/trends/concepts may NEVER really get "hot" and catch on with the general public.

Not everything has to become a HUGE "diet sensation" in order to be something that works for the people who have tried it.

Heck, I've heard of HUGELY popular diet pills that scare the bejeezus out of me, now that we--as a group--know how dangerous they can be. Does that mean I should find a way to try them? Nope. Not my thing.

I figure we learn about what we learn about when we're ready to know it exists for whatever reason.

Just because the term "Callanetics" never landed on your radar before right now doesn't mean it isn't something that people have had good experiences with.

IMO, anyway. ;) Not trying to defend any one thing. Obviously, if I thought it was a magic pill, I'd still be doing it. I prefer my Wii Fit, personally! ;)

150reasons
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Sure, it does sound too good to be true. Every time I look in the mirror and see my stomach even flatter and my butt even smaller, I say to myself that "This is too good to be true!";) Joking aside, I certainly understand skepticism. I'm not trying to tout this as some cure-all magickal pill that will tone your abs and wash your laundry too. But, I can not deny my results. For me it has worked faster than a trainer supervised cardio/lifting program, faster than yoga (it actually helped me improve my yoga), faster than daily walking, running or biking. They are not easy exercises. They can be done by beginners, but it is work, and the first few workouts will probably leave you very sore. I too am curious to hear feedback from the ladies who have ordered videos or books. As to why it's not more popular, I have no idea. As I have said before, I am considering becoming a certified instructor because it has worked so well for me. And, certainly feel free to express your opinions. I will not take offense at any of them. You would have kick me in the knee to offend me, and that would be difficult to do through the computer.:D

pintobean
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
First of all, I want to thank you 150reasons for bringing Callanetics to our attention. I definitely hadn't heard about this before. Personally speaking I'm really not interested in why or why not it did not become popular. Am I curious as to why not? Sure I am, but right now my focus is to try different things and see what works for me and my body. Yes Callanetics does sound too good to be true to be honest but I'm willing to give it a try and see for myself if what Callan says really works or not. Of course, I know everyone is different in shape and size so results will vary. I think the idea here is to share your experience and let everyone know if something you've tried is good, inexpensive and has really worked or not worked. This way others can benefit from the experience good or bad :D

I found this book in my library - Callanetics countdown: 30 days to a beautiful body; the firm, shapely body you want in only minutes a day - And I'm going to try it for 30 days. Callan in her book gives the option of either targetting 1 trouble area (like stomach, legs etc) or doing all together depending on how much time you have in a day. If broken down into specific areas I believe each exercise is about 20 mins long and all together is an hour long. Due to time constraints and also being a beginner I'm going to focus on 1 area for the time being. I'm going to try it for 30 days and see if it really made a difference. I'll come back and share my experience with callanetics with you guys :) And in the mean time if anyone is already doing it and seeing changes good or bad ;) please share.

I apologize if I offended anyone with what I wrote...that is not my intention :)

Silverstar33
07-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to see if I can't work this into my routine just to see how it goes. I'm glad to hear that it can be broken up and doesn't have to be a comprehensive workout. I'm glad everyone took my comments in a healthy way, I really don't doubt your success just was a little puzzled.

texasbunny
07-20-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm just surprised I hadn't ever heard of it cause I was almost sure my mother had every single exercise video and it's sequel in the 80's and 90's! Haha! :dizzy:

I guess the real key to seeing results with any exercise is to actually DO the workout...which is my problem.

But, I'm deciding to make a guinea pig out of myself. I bought an old VHS and paperback off of Amazon for super cheap, and they should be arriving next week, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll keep everybody posted for sure. Wish me luck! And good luck to everyone else that's doing the program.

For anyone that's interested, there are a few callanetics videos on YouTube. Very short, about a minute and a half long, but they kind of give you a little bit of an idea as to what the exercises look like and such.

Thanks everybody for your input!

pintobean
07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to give you guys an update. :D

I started with D1 of Callanetics last night. The book I'm using is - Callanetics countdown: 30 days to a beautiful body; the firm, shapely body you want in only minutes a day - (from the library). For now I'm just doing the stomach exercise portion (about 20 mins or so). When I did the workout or toning stretches I could feel my abs doing more work than crunches. Of course, this is only D1...I'll be able to give you all a more indepth review once mores days go by... I'll keep you guys posted once I finish week 1 of this. :)

The key here is to do each exercise in triple slow motion... :)

Later...

CandyKisses0204
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Still waiting for mine to come in the mail. Very impatiently i might add. I want it here and i wanna start it today! Sigh

OnceUponADrive
07-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Well I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I'm anxious to hear how your progress with this goes. I'm going to look into it myself.

150reasons
07-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Once upon a Drive: Are those your dogs in your avatar? That is the most awesome dog picture I have ever seen.

Let me know when you guys get your various books, videos, etc. I can't wait to see how you like it. Remember that form is everything, and you have to really push yourself as far into the positions as you can (without pain or injury of course) to see results. I just realized today how easy it would be to completely fudge the form and not get a workout at all. Good luck you guys.

OnceUponADrive
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Nope, not my dogs unfortunately. But they are adorable, aren't they? :)

I just ordered 2 callanetics DVDs and should have them by Friday. I can't wait to start. Meanwhile I'm going to Barnes and Noble and Borders today at lunchtime to see if they have anything, although from the looks of it they won't. I'm eager to try this method. The before and afters I've been finding are amazing.

aphil
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
For those who think that it is too good to be true:

Callanetic was very popular in the 80's, however, you have to think that back then, we didn't have all of the infomericals, and we didn't have the internet in every single home like we do now. It was very popular, though.

I have done Callanetics before, and it IS hard!!!! It does yield really good results, too. I purchased vhs of the set from a garage sale probably 6 or so years ago, after hearing about them from another website. They ARE good. However, they are like anything else-if you don't do them regularly, you aren't going to get the results. You have to do the work.

Something that I really like is another exercise form called Lotte Berk. There are a few different dvds out there, but they are also resistance exercises where you are using your own body weight. Lotte Berk Basic Essentials is a good dvd to start with. They also use movements inspired by physical rehabilitation, Pilates, dance training, etc. If you like Callanetics, you will probably enjoy Lotte Berk, too.

150reasons
07-31-2008, 12:14 AM
I actually heard somewhere, very recently as a matter of fact, that Callanetics is somewhat of a knock off of the Lotte Berk method. I am planning on getting the LBM dvds asap. If it's like Callanetics, I know it will work. And it will be a nice change of pace. That is my only complaint with Callanetics, it is booooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggg!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! It's worth it for the results, though.

aphil
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Lotte Berk did not even have vhs/dvds out until a few years ago...

I don't think that they are a knock off either way...Lotte Berk has a lot more rehabilitation strengthening exercises in them, and you are moving more than the 1/4-1/2" in them as well.

OnceUponADrive
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
I saw the infomercial for Shapely Secrets for the first time today. Is that basically the same idea as callanetics? I didn't catch the whole thing, but it showed the people standing still to do the "exercises." I have to admit, I don't get it. But it looked like those women were having the same type of fast results with little to no movement. Is it the same concept?

150reasons
07-31-2008, 07:18 PM
I just checked out shapely secrets on the web. I think "diametric resistance" is just a fancy name for isometrics. Think about doing bicep curls with a dumbbell. As you pull up toward your body, your bicep is doing a concentric contraction, meaning the muscle is shortening and pulling the load. The tricep (being the bicep's antagonist, or opposing muscle) is doing an eccentric contraction, meaning that the muscle is lengthening, but still pulling a load (although "pulling" is somewhat of a misnomer here). If you stop and hold midway down with the weight, you have an isometric contraction in both muscles. Both the bicep and tricep are being worked, but no movement is taking place, hence exercise without movement. This program does it without weights. I could be completely wrong about what is going on with the shapely secrets exercises (they didn't show any on the site) but that is what it sounds like to me. Did the infomercial offer the free makeup bag and platinum plated pendant as well? Sorry to get completely off the subject and totally go off on a tangent. To answer your question, callanetics does require movement, although the movement is very small. One quarter to half an inch for the stomach and hip exercises, considerably more for the leg exercises. It also requires a good deal of stretching. The entire workout takes an hour (It takes me an hour and a half) although seven minutes would be really nice!

OnceUponADrive
08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I always wonder what kind of results people get with these kinds of programs WITHOUT following the diet programs that almost always come along with them. You know, they're all boiled chicken and spinach for every meal. I'd like to see what kind of results people get JUST with the exercises.

aphil
08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, in my opinion, it is going to be like anything else. If you are only doing Pilates, weights, callanetics, or other strength/tone exercises-you are going to get firmer...but you can't expect to drop a couple of pants sizes unless you are eating a calorie controlled diet as well.

jasmine721
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
One of the celebs in our area (Robin Swoboda) lost weight and toned up using a program called the BARR method. She had someone from the company on her show back in March or April. It sounds a lot like calanetics. She looks great.

I, too, am looking for something to add variety to my exercise routine. Currently, well before my foot problem, I walked 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes. Twice a week I went to a gentle toning class in my neighborhood. Both were easy for me to do since besides having this foot problem I also have a bad knee. I need to lose about 70 pounds and unfortunately these two exercises weren't showing any decrease in the scales. After my foot surgery I want to mix it up a little and add something that has a little more intensity. Plus add to that that I'm 55 and becoming more and more conscious every day that now is the time to start taking better care of myself so I can live a long, healthy, productive life. I had looked into taking a yoga class but that is sort of expensive in my opinion. I'd even thought of taking yoga, becoming and instructor and then not charging so much! So, I just might look into the calantetics videos/dvds. The Barr Method isn't available yet on DVD. I just know that what I've been doing hasn't been working all that great for me so I feel I need to add some intensity.

colebear
08-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Actually jasmine, the Bar Method has 2 DVDs at my library. I'm going to check them out in the not too distant future. They don't appear to be making them any more, but they are available on EBay. Also, the Bar Method web site has pictures and descriptions of nine of the exercise. It also looks like you can take Bar Method classes if they're available in your area. Classes are not available here.

I'll be following the progress of those of you using Callenetics! My mother lost a lot of weight walking last year. She's between an 8 and a 6 now, but she complains about not being firm. I'm going to tell her about this and maybe do them with her in exchange for her walking with me.

OnceUponADrive
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I got 2 videos in the mail yesterday, one was 10 years younger in 10 hours and the other is a more modern cardio version of Callanetics. I did most of the first video, but FYI if you get it some of the exercises require a ballet bar or something you can hold onto, which I don't have yet. So I had to skip a portion of the video. The abs part in the beginning wasn't easy and I actually got nauseous (I think I might not have eaten enough yesterday and that's why). It really took it's toll on me. Other moves I could tell I wasn't doing right because it just felt too easy. I guess it takes some practice to get the movements down.

OnceUponADrive
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Tonight I'm taking some measurements and before pictures to see if I make any progress with this. All the reviews and message boards on it all say they've had amazing and fast results, so we'll see. Luckily enough, a friend of mine used to do ballet and has a portable barre that I can have. I'm going to try the cardio callanetics tonight.

CandyKisses0204
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
So i started day 1 of the 30 day makeover. It will prolly take longer than 30 days since i wont be doing it every day. But i do have to say that i could definatly feel it working the muscles. It definatly isnt easy and i think it just might work.

Onceuponadrive- Until you get the barre why not try using the back of your couch?

150reasons
08-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Never heard of the cardio callanetics. Let me know how that is. Thanks. I am ashamed to say I have been seriously slacking on exercise for the last two weeks or so. I forced myself to do the Callanetics today and went for a really long walk. I feel much better so maybe it will jumpstart me back into action.

pintobean
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Hello everyone... :)

I started Callanetics again. I know I'd started doing it couple weeks ago but lazy me just stopped doing it after day 1. Well I started again couple days ago. Right now I'm focusing on the stomach area during weekdays and will be doing all body Callanetics during weekends since I have more time. This is the book I'm following - Callanetics countdown: 30 days to a beautiful body; the firm, shapely body you want in only minutes a day - This book is divided into different phases which is pretty cool. The exercises are not as easy as they look. I can feel my muscles working. But the amazing part is that I don't feel any pain as I would normally feel if I were doing crunches. So I guess that's a good thing :D

Day 2 Phase 1 is over :)

OnceUponADrive
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
This is the video I have, Callanetics Evolution:

http://www.amazon.com/CallaneticsEvolution-Sandra-Hanna/dp/B000VSDR1U/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1218113225&sr=8-2

I did it last night and liked it MUCH better than the 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. It's much newer and easier to follow. Some moves I can really feel working, others not so much, so I think I still have to get the method down. When I do the abs portion, my ab muscles almost jerk into motion when I don't want them to. I guess I have to get used to the small movements. I took my before pics yesterday, so we'll see what happens!

chrgrl
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
i have that same problem, Once Upon a Drive, with my abs jerking during the stomach exercises. i am new to callanetics and have done the 10/10 video twice now. i don't feel some of the exercises yet (particularly the butt ones where you sit on the floor and hold on to a bar) but hopefully my form will get better soon and i will start to feel them.

Starrynight
08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I got the DVD and tried the 10 - hour callanetics one..
I just did the whole thing for the first time today
I gotta say.. I was surprised..
It took me about.. an 1 hour, 40 minutes to go through the whole thing b/c I paused to make sure my form was okay, and other times I would watch the whole segment a couple times and then do it on my own.
Anyway, I really was surprised that there weren't as many moves as I thought there would be. Still, it was a great workout, especially on legs, I feel the workout over there.. not so much my stomach but it was tough to do regardless.
So, I've gotten 1 hour done.. I'm taking a break before I do cardio.. I think I'll try this again later this week and see how much progress I make! Great DVD though, I feel REALLY good and relaxed after doing this dvd..