General chatter - Hey Kids! Mom's Cookin' SPAM..YAY!

EZMONEY
07-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Sure...sure she is ;)

Now, I don't want to offend anyone...seriously! But do you really eat that stuff? Still today, knowing what's in it?

We grew up eating it, my mom fried it up and we had it on sandwiches or sometimes with just some tater tots.

Angie and I shopped last night at Costco...as we walked down the aisle with the SPAM...I let her get a few feet past it then say...in a loud voice, so people can hear me..."Hey Babe...do you need any SPAM for your famous casserole?" Now, I do this EVERYSINGLE TIME we go to Costco...and I always get the same :mad: look :mad:

It would never be allowed in our house...well, one exception, she was going to make it for knuckleheads surfer graduation party, if only he hadn't bombed and blew the party privilege. She was going to fry it up, wrap it in rice and seaweed like they do at the Hawaiian BBQ we go to every now and then.

What about you? Got a SPAM story to share?

gypsylthr
07-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Spam served with Spaghetti O's was a common Saturday lunch at my house as a kid. My Mom also fed us Deviled Ham and canned corned beef lunch meat on a regular basis. Blech! No wonder I was such a fat kid! There's no way I'd eat any of that stuff now.
Did you know they now make a Spam Lite?! Can't imagine what's in that!

SoulBliss
07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
EZ, no SPAM stories at the moment (I have a GOOD one I'll share later!) but I used to eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches as a treat when I was a kid!

Did you know they now make a Spam Lite?! Can't imagine what's in that!
Dream a little dream... :lol:

INGREDIENTS: pork with ham, mechanically seperated chicken, water, salt, modified potato starch, sugar, sodium phosphastes, potassium chloride, sodium ascorbate, sodium nitrite

http://www.koamart.com/shop/13-1845-canned_food-spam_lite_12oz.asp

gypsylthr
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks, and I thought the rest of the info was interesting, too...

50% Less Fat, 33% Fewer Calories, 25% Less Sodium than SPAM Classic. (Ooooh...classic Spam! LOL)

AMOUNT PER SERVING
Calories 110 / Calories from Fat 70 - LITE, yet still over half the calories come from fat!

auntie g
07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Bleccch! I would never eat a spam sandwich when I was a kid (or ever, for that matter!) The only way I would eat it back then was when Mom cut it up into small pieces and mixed it into the Kraft Mac & Cheese. Oh, so healthy!

GradPhase
07-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Ohhhhh, SPAM!

My DAD loooooves to cut up boiled potatos before they get too mushy, smash up some SPAM, mix it all together, "sautee" it on the stove, and have it at LEAST once a month!

He was raised as a poor farm boy in good ole Alabama before being in the army for 20 years - he SWEARS it's on the food pyramid ;)

murphmitch
07-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Only the Boy Scouts in my family ever ate this stuff!

Farseashore
07-11-2008, 10:09 PM
We didn't have Spam in N.S. We had Kam! (K for canned, am for ham) http://timetraces.com/armourheightsreunion/photogallery/Odds_and_Ends/image148.htm Really the same thing.

My brother and I ate it occasionally when we were kids. We spread on some mustard, sprinkled it with brown sugar and then cooked it in the toaster oven until the edges got a little crispy. Yummy!

Couldn't pay me to eat it now :p

Kim_Star060404
07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I had Spam last Thursday. My grandma always makes it with rice, eggs, takuan and kimchi for me for breakfast. I know what's in it and I still love it. That's why it's a good thing that I only visit there about twice a year.

My grandpa is Hawaiian and my grandma is Japanese, born in Okinawa. Both of them were kids during WWII, so not eating Spam in their household is one of the seven deadly sins. :lol: It's the one thing they don't like about my DH! Growing up we had Spam musubi (which is what Gary was talking about) for snacks. Yummy!

iwmonn
07-11-2008, 11:11 PM
OK... many years ago I brought a friend to go swimming at my parents house. Now, some quick background. my mother was a survivor of 2 brain anyruisms- My mom was absolutely wonderful and everyone loved her! but, she was 1 or 2 carrots short of a bunch. (And I say that with soooo much love- no bad intended.)

ANYWAYYYYY.... My friend and I were relaxing with mom that day, swimming, being lazy, having a drink or two. Mom asked if we would like something to eat and headed off to the kitchen. She came back with SPAM SANDWICHES!!! White bread with raw spam, lettuce, tomato.... maybe some mayo too. OH and did I mention all the jelly stuff still clinging to the 'meat"??? It was absolutely disgusting looking. My dear dear dear dear friend Chuck and I looked at each other, giggled, shrugged, and politely ate our spam and gelatin sandwiches, while mom just sat at the table with us beaming.

Yes, we joked about that for a long time and I still tell that story sometimes. I haven't seen him in years, but I still think of him and remember that day. And I thank him so much for his compassion.

oh... he just loved my mom too- even after that :)

techwife
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
SPAM....fried...on toast...with mayo. Junk food of the GODS!!! Seriously!!

Clydegirl
07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Spam fried in batter with french fries yum.

Also I used to love corned beef hash when my mum made it.

I also love corned beef sandwiches, haven't had one of those in years.

tamaralynn
07-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spam Musubi

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spam-Musubi/Detail.aspx

preetyladyserenity
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh fried ZWAN (well the equivalent of SPAM in Cyprus) was and still is my brother's and I's favourite childhood food. My grandma used to deep fry it until it was almost crispy and serve it with ketchup .

I now shudder at the caloric intake of it! EEP!!!

Luckily she would cook it so rarely, it was a rare treat for us.

kaplods
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I lived a deprived childhood. I only remember my mom making it once (fried for breakfast and served with some kind of eggs). I believe we all thought it was way too salty, so I don't remember every having it again after that.

Spam, like fatty bacon, probably is lower in fat and calories fried than not.

lizziep
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
i spent my young childhood years in Samoa- where spam is loved. i consumed my lifetimes worth then so I never have to eat it again. My parents still love it and eat it though- they like it best chopped up and scrambled with eggs for a spam and egg sandwich (barf!)

My best spam related story would be when my brother was about 3 years old- my dad was just idly watching tv and slicing off pieces of spam to eat with saltine crackers... and my brother kept coming up and begging for some. Well the kid wound up eating like 1/2 or 3/4 of the loaf and then throwing it all up for the next two days. poor kid. apparently my dad didn't notice that he'd given him so much...

EZMONEY
07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Good to see you back LIZZI

These stories are GREAT...who knew back then that one day we would be sharing SPAM stories with friends!

lizziep
07-12-2008, 10:15 PM
aw....Spam... congealed meat product bringing people closer together. :)

i knew it had to be good for something!

EZMONEY
07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
NOW THAT'S THE SHINY HAPPY PEOPLE LIZZY I KNOW!;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPu96ZcV_I

snapless
07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
I guess I'm one of those rare people that actually liked the taste of spam after it was fried. However, once I was old and wise enough to know what was in it, I quit eating it...most of the time.

Haven't had it or wanted it since before I began this woe...and now you've got me wanting some. Thanks! :p

Darkblue
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
When I was in college, I went through a phase when I was very very poor and self-supporting. Long story. Anyway, things like tuna-mac and Spam were real treats. I'd pan-fry it then make a sandwich with the hot Spam, a 1/2 slice of swiss cheese, and buttered toast. Mmm.

I wouldn't touch it today due to the calories and fat!

I've read that sales of Spam are up due to the cost of groceries and other economic troubles. I know my grocery store carries more of it than they used to.

FB
07-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I've never had it... BUT...

There was a can in our house for some time when I was a kid. I opened it, smelled it and was grossed. I remember letting the cat sniff it and it made one of those terrible faces that cats make when they smell something funny (mouth partway open).

I then decided to flush it down the toilet, no logic in my eight year old mind there, it promptly clogged the toilet big time and I was in a bit of trouble!

preetyladyserenity
07-13-2008, 07:10 AM
When I was a kid my parents worked a lot during the Christmas holidays so from the age of 11 onwards I was in charge of the household and I would take care of my little brother. Sometimes things would get to busy for mum to bring us food so I had to master my knowledge of deep frying SPAM, or making rice for lunch for my brother and I to eat.

Thanks for the memories EZ!!! ^.~

EZMONEY
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
These stories are great!

Mom2QJandT
07-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Back when I was married, my ex husband LOVES spam (there are other reasons we're divorced, but that should have been a sign). So, being a new wife I decide to make it, only I'm going to be good and get Spam Light! I didn't read the directions, threw it on a hot skillet and went to the back of the house to get something. When I got back the "meat" was burned to a crisp and this terrible, terrible smell had taken over my kitchen. It was disgusting! If you're going to make Spam light, you have to add water to the pan first. Just in case any of you are getting a craving from this conversation! Oh - - and I was never "allowed" to make Spam again!

SunshineCA
07-15-2008, 12:51 AM
My oldest brother, now a very popular culinary artist, as he calls himself, used to make us fried SPAM sandwiches. I would eat mine on toast layered with Miracle Whip. If I was feeling daring, I'd throw a slice of cheese and tomatoes on it. Mmmmm....;)

My kids have no idea what SPAM is. My DD and I were at Sam's Club yesterday and came across huge cans of it. I showed my daughter and she checked it out and was like, "Ewwwwwwwwwww!! Gross!!" :lol:

gypsylthr
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
One of the classes in culinary school was making sushi with whatever was left in the cold box. Someone had the (bright) idea to also use a can of Spam (not sure why that was even in the kitchen!). They served their creations to our class, then told us the ingredient no one could guess. Actually, it didn't taste too bad!

SoulBliss
07-15-2008, 02:20 PM
One of the classes in culinary school was making sushi with whatever was left in the cold box. Someone had the (bright) idea to also use a can of Spam (not sure why that was even in the kitchen!). They served their creations to our class, then told us the ingredient no one could guess. Actually, it didn't taste too bad!

Spam "sushi" is all the rage in Hawaii. (Musubi was mentioned earlier too).

I do also have to wonder WHY Spam was just lying around in a culinary school... :dizzy:

alinnell
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm happy to say that Spam was not allowed in our house. Dad had eaten so much of it in the Marines that the smell of that (and Pine Sol) made him nauseous so he forbade my Mom to buy it.

Now give me a good hunk of Branschweiger and I'm happy!!

Shopaholic1204
07-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Dh eats it. The smell makes me wanna throw up.

EZMONEY
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
When we all go on the 3FC CRUISE do you think they will serve SPAM-LITE? ;)

SunshineCA
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Maybe there will be a complete Spam-Lite bar. :shrug: