South Beach Diet - Thursday Happenings On the Beach

View Full Version : Thursday Happenings On the Beach

cottagebythesea
07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Good Morning! It looks like the day is shaping up to be a good one. I have a load of laundry going and want to get out in the garden early to do some deadheading and pruning, then I'll have the rest of the day to play. :) We're thinking of going to Cape May for the weekend, I have to do a little more prodding at Jake first, all work and no play makes for a very dull DH!

Ruthxxx
07-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Cottage and I are probably posting at the same time again. We seem to be on the same wave-length.

Nice day in town yesterday for Disney's "debut" with my friend and her dogs. We had a nice lunch and I was home by five for a nice relaxing evening. I fell asleep on the couch by 7:15 and woke to the phone at 8!

Lots happening today aside from garbage pick-up. :lol: Disney goes for her first haircut at nine, I have planting at the Fairgrounds, I need to open the Hall for a meeting at one, pick up Disney at 3, be home for Margo and Elaine of the Hyper Pypers to arrive with Bailey their dog. (Bailey is Hershey's daughter and will be staying with me until Tuesday next. The Hyper Pypers are good friends: two adults and two teens plus dog - and they came by their name honestly!) I also have a Fair planning meeting at 7 which I may have to skip. It should be interesting to have a three dog household for a while. I hope my Disney's haircut isn't too traumatic - she has lots of mats so will be cut very short.

The dogs are still asleep. Time to wake them up and crank up the day!

Ruthxxx
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Yup - simulposting again. Have fun at the Cape, Cottage. Prod that Jake hard! I can borrow a cattle prod from a neighbour if you need it.

cottagebythesea
07-10-2008, 07:19 AM
I'll pay the postage on that cattle prod, Ruth. Send it Overnight Express. :devil: The man just does not want to go anyplace anymore. He's perfectly content just staying at home. :mad::mad::mad: At least he doesn't mind me going off on my own, and I usually do.

CyndiM
07-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Good morning Cottage & Ruth :)
I've got a pot of Fogbuster just finishing up - anyone want a cup? This stuff lives up to its name ;)

Cottage - I've always wanted to go to Cape May. I just can't figure out how to get there without driving through every major East Coast city! I'll chip in for the postage on that cattle prod!

Ruth - If you've got a little extra time I've got a perennial bed that needs serious work. Hope Disney's hair cut goes well. Have a good day!

Cat - A new kitchen toy! Can't wait to hear about it.

Kim - Wow, I'm looking forward to more pictures! Are you considering ebay or anything online?

Another day here but cooler and much less humid. I'm having work issues but hope those will pass soon one way or another. I hate getting stressed about going to work :(

My squash pancakes worked well. I just couldn't be bothered with a recipe so tossed things into a bowl. It's always nice when that works out and scary when it doesn't ;)

Have a good day Chicks

little chick
07-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Good Morning Chicks. I have about 1.5 minutes on the computer as they are already at me to use it.....lol. It is rainy here so they are going to need lots to keep them busy, I think we will do some beading this afternoon and then maybe a movie. I have a million things to do as my dad comes tomorrow. And I am so excited. So today I need to do a quick clean up as the major stuff is done, a little laundry and make a menu plan for the week. Well I have to go, the wee ones are hanging over my shoulder so my time is up.... I will pop back in when they are having lunch if my youngest dd will let me. Have a great day chicks.

femmecreole
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Morning all!!! Kind of in a rush this morning to get work done. My husband is now working 4-10's so he is off today and I wanna get work out of the way so we can go play somewhere today.

It's day 3 on the Jillian Micheal's shred and I'm still in pain from it, but good pain, you know??? What doesn't kill us makes us better, right???

ladybugnessa
07-10-2008, 09:38 AM
hey gals....

holding my own

don't forget to patch your windows machines... its' critical security patch week for Microsoft... today is letter day for me.

not losing weight but firming up i think... thighs really hurt from all the wii fit balance work i'm doing... oy....

gotta run
love ya all.

weezle
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Morning girlies. Holy crap I'm tired. I got plenty of rest but it was broken up. Tom came home from a travel meeting late and then was on the phone for awhile, so he didn't want to go to bed when we usually do. So I stayed on the couch with my feet in his lap and went to sleep while he watched a movie. He got me up at midnight to go to bed. YAWN. He's still sleeping but so is Little Guy, who didn't get to bed until 9 or so, which is pretty late for him. I'll let them sleep.

Still being good food-wise, miraculously. I tried to go overboard last night by making a huge thing of broccoli to put cheese sauce on, but once the broccoli was done, I looked at it and the thought of eating anymore made me ill. I suppose that's a good thing.

Well, I'm going to start getting ready for work. Hope everybody is having a good day.

Lisa

GONNABE165
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Morning chicks! the weekend will be here before we know it.

Cottage i hope you make your weekend trip

Ruth sounds like another busy day for you

Cyndi :crossed: on your work situation

LC enjoy your time with your dad

Cat sounds like your holding your own - hang in there as the reward has to be great

Hi Nessa

Not a thing going on my way which I guess is a good thing

thunderbegone
07-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Good morning everyone! I am getting nervous about staying on track this weekend with all the social events I have to attend (I used to be a weekend binger). I am just going to keep thinking about how I can't even button my shorts and jeans anymore every time I want to reach for something not on the plan.

Schmoodle
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi chicks, looks pretty out there today! I want to get two loads of laundry on the line and scrub the kitchen, that's my big excitement for the day...
We didn't get to the pool last night and I didn't get myself motivated to walk either so feeling guilty about that, especially since I had a spot-on perfect food day. Kids start their summer horseback riding schedule tonight. Maybe pool after.
cat and cottage, wish I could come and play too. :( Have fun!
Nessa and cat are making me feel ashamed. In a good way. Let's see if it works for motivation.
Cyndi, the pancakes sound yum. I've gotta pick some zukes this morning, thanks for the reminder. And yes, fogbuster sounds just perfect this morning.
Wow, Ruth, I am jealous of your sleep. Have fun with the dogs and the Pypers.
Have a great day with the kiddies, lc! Hope you get your computer back sometime!

Wow, mega-simulpost!
Plan ahead thunder, and make sure you take stuff to eat!
Hi weezle, binging on broccoli is okay though right?
Have a great day gonna!

hmacneil6
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Good Morning Ladies! Happy Thursday!

Cottage - Get that man moving!!! Going to the Cape I'm sure would be fun. Here's to hoping he finds motivation to go!

Ruth - You have a super busy day! I'm tired just reading about it. I hope all goes well with the 3 critters.

Cyndi - Sorry to hear things aren't great at work.....I hope they clear up soon. Glad to hear that the pancakes were a success. I always feel so good when I do something like that and it turns out well. Good job!

l/c - Beading and a movie sounds like my kind of day. I hope you're able to get the cleaning done in the process.

Cat - Have a great day with dh. I hope you're able to get your work done quickly .

Nessa -Balancing is such a good way to strengthen and tone. Good job! Keep it up! Is dh being better today???

Weezle - Did you throw the broccoli away? If you didn't, I would make an egg casserole w/ broccoli, egg, and cheese. There are lost of recipes out there for it. And then that way you're not going to waste perfectly good food.

Gonna - Morning!!!! Any word from the Dr.?

Thunder - As Schmoodle said, plan ahead. And I would suggest that you also get some gum. I find that if I'm chewing gum I don't snack or graze, which is usually my downfall. Good luck!

Schmoodle - I hope you find the motivation to exercise today. We all struggle with that, so do your best to get a move on! And have fun with your chores as well!

ME - Is it possible to be on one plateau for about 3 weeks, loose a good 7-8 pounds in 2 weeks and then go into another plateau??? I feel like that's what's happened to me. I ate really well yesterday and the scale didn't move. Maybe I should step away from weighing for a week or two? Any suggestions? Got all laundry done last night, so tonight I pack. But before packing dh and I are going to dinner and I've got a chiropractic appointment. It'll be a full evening.
Have a great Thursday, Ladies!!!
ENJOY!!!

Pearlrose
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Good morning Ruth, Cottage and Cyndi,

Looks to be a nice day today- busy at work but it is almost the weekend.

Got a good workout last night so I feeling good, hoping to do the same today.

Have a great day

Schmoodle
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
hmac, I think it's entirely possible. Seems like that's what I'm doing these days. No loss for a few weeks, then drop a few overnight. Weird, but whatever... As long as they are coming off!

zeffryn
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
hey girls,

busy morning. DS has playgroup at 9.

nice day so far, hopefully it stays nice. We're thinking of having a family picnic lunch after playgroup...it's been raining everyday though, so i won't count on it.

Gotta run!

Have a great day, girls.

ladybugnessa
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Is it possible to be on one plateau for about 3 weeks, loose a good 7-8 pounds in 2 weeks and then go into another plateau???

oh **** YES! in fact that may be YOUR loss pattern.

i know mine is similar... I tend to do this:

lose a LOT of weight overnight and drop 3-5 pounds
pick up a pound the next day
pick up another pound the next day
maybe even gain more after that...

then STAY there for a while.....

then start all over.

i have had to go to looking at my net loss month by month in order to see progress and sometimes that loss is tiny as well.

GONNABE165
07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Lisa sorry I missed you earlier hope you have a great day

Thunder good luck with your weekend i just know you'll do fine

Schmoodle you sound like me when I miss a workout i sometimes feel my world will crash down - my dh always says a few missed workouts won't ruin all you have done it just feels like it will to me

Heather there is no word from the doc yet i plan on calling them today all this waiting is crazy. I have went to once a month tracking of my weight I still weigh every friday but only track the last weigh in of the month - Good Luck!

Mornin Zeff

hmacneil6
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the validation, ladies. In times past, when I've really focused on loosing weight, I've never really faced a plateau. But this time around I find that the weight is fairly stagnant for quite a while. And then I'll loose a good amount then get stagnant again. But I'm also finding that if I know this will happen I can better prepare mentally for it. I've just got to remember to keep plugging along. It will come off and I will succeed on this journey.

Barb0522
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
plateaus are perfectly normal. I've had many when I was following South Beach properly. We've had many threads on it (and how to break plateaus) through the years.

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Wii for Brian for his birthday. I've checked a couple of places and they are out so it may be a moot point but I really want to pick him up something today if possible to give to him at the party on Sunday. Today and tomorrow are the last opportunities I have to shop without him.

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi you guys. Hope everyone is doing well.

I am excited because tomorrow I'm going food shopping, and am buying perfectly planned menus so I can re-start Phase 1 on Sunday... checked the menus with the BF to make sure he would eat everything I had planned. He is especially looking forward to the Chicken Divan recipe that is posted on the recipe forum, he says he loves curry and it's got curry powder in it.

Also excited because tomorrow he and his ex-wife (and I am coming along, of course) are going to court to gain 50/50 custody of their 5 year old daughter. When they seperated, there was lots of drama and fighting in court and the judge ordered a temporary order in BF's mother's favor (ex wife's lawyer wants to have him disbarred for that)... anyway, 3 years have passed and a lot of BS has gone on, the evil mother claiming she had some sort of say in court over what happened, and kept refusing to "let" him take it back it to court. (Got very attached.) Needless to say his ex wife got sick of the crap and finally came over here, talked to me, and got me to talk some sense into BF (she wants to be civil and end the fighting and gain their daughter back from the mother, who thinks she's got utmost control when she never has) and anyway, tomorrow is the date and mommy-dearest knows not. Feel sorry for the daughter of course, it's going to be a HUGE adjustment when your beloved grandmother has brainwashed you, taught you to call your mommy by her regular name, and tells you that daddy doesn't want to come see you because he has a "replacement baby" and it's going to be a struggle at first. Hopefully in the end, she will end up fine. I'm concerned for her definitely, but very glad for my BF and the ex. Anyone have any experience in stuff like this, or any advice?

Anyway that's what's going on in my life, hope everyone is doing well. I keep hearing about the Wii Fit, how much are those things? They sound cool.

ladybugnessa
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
good luck at court and with the quasi stepmom thing..

wiis are about 250 dollars if you can find one
the wii fit is another 90 or so

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks! :D

Ahh, that's not too bad of a price for the Wii. I might look into getting one, I keep hearing about how fun it is to get fit on them.

ladybugnessa
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
my legs are killing me today... but trust me it does NOT replace my gym or my other workouts.. just suplements them....

Barb0522
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Melanie - I really feel for the daughter. It sounds like she is going to have a huge adjustment to make. 5 is a tough age anyway but at least she may not have to deal with a different school. I strongly suggest counseling. Even if she has had a lot of visitation with her parents (which it sounds like she might not have), it will be a hard change for her to deal with. Expect possible regression. Do not get upset with her if she starts wetting the bed for example. It was so much easier for me because Brian was older and the situation has not been as bad as it sounds like this girl has had to deal with.

I hate going to court. I hate seeing the lawyers take money that should eventually pay for Brian's college. But it will be worth it in the long run. We are already both happier.

I'd love to try the Wii fit but I think Brian is interested in the games. I'll see if I can find one.

zeffryn
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Wii games are all kinds of fun...although I'm not sure if DH or I would play them alone. I'm not huge into video games in the first place, and DH is more into FPS (first person shooters)....they would be fun for a party though.

I thought about asking for a Wii for Christmas, but since they were so hard to come by....I just asked my parents to chip in towards a new laptop. I'm glad I chose the laptop....we use it all the time. :)

Maybe I can weezle a Wii for my birthday or something...all our spare money is going into savings right now for a down payment.

Barb - I was at Walmart the other day and while I was browsing the movies, I saw they had at least 5 Wii's behind glass for sale. Sales were limited to one per customer..but they had a bunch. Check there?

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
LadyNessa, It sounds like a really cool supplemental tool, though if it won't replace my regular cardio and strengthening, I don't know if I would get it now. I might eventually though, to add it to my other exercise stuff. It does sound like a really fun addition to other exercise though. (I was confused, I thought it was a full workout program or something, on the video game console, lol.)

Ruthxxx
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I know nothing about Wii, fit or otherwise. I just learned to pronounce it properly in May when Meowee came to visit. There isn't one in my future after a really heavy $$$ month of June with 1K barn repairs, $500 car repairs, and over 1K in vet bills. Hershey may need to get a paper route! :lol:

Disney is back from the groomer and looks very different - but good. I'm off to do some planting after lunch and will check in later.

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Melanie - I really feel for the daughter. It sounds like she is going to have a huge adjustment to make. 5 is a tough age anyway but at least she may not have to deal with a different school. I strongly suggest counseling. Even if she has had a lot of visitation with her parents (which it sounds like she might not have), it will be a hard change for her to deal with. Expect possible regression. Do not get upset with her if she starts wetting the bed for example. It was so much easier for me because Brian was older and the situation has not been as bad as it sounds like this girl has had to deal with.

I hate going to court. I hate seeing the lawyers take money that should eventually pay for Brian's college. But it will be worth it in the long run. We are already both happier.

I'd love to try the Wii fit but I think Brian is interested in the games. I'll see if I can find one.

Hi, BF and Ex-wife were talking about getting her into counseling to undo all of the damage done, but I really hope they follow through with it and not just talk about it, ya know? So, although it's not really my place, I called a local mental health center to find out if they work with kids (they do). BF will appreciate it, and I'll tell him to tell Ex wife it was all his doing so she doesn't feel I'm trying to step on her motherly toes, she's had enough of that crap the past few years. My BF was allowed visitation... at first. But it came at a price. At any slightest disagreement, or any challenging of what his mother would decide for HIS daughter, (although he and his ex wife still had the rights to decide for their daughter), she would ban him from the house for weeks at a time. Then call him up screaming at him for not coming to see his daughter... when she was the one who would threaten to call the cops if he would come over. She would turn around, blame it on him either being a bad father, or me acting like it's just me, him, and our son, and act like she never said what she really did say. She'd tell the rest of his family she never ever did such a horrible thing, and make him and me look bad. He's had enough of the emotional blackmail... and the ex-wife, who his mother hated with a passion (as she does me) wasn't allowed until her lawyer stepped in, then she let her but always wrote down anything she felt was 'wrong' in a little notebook to use against her in court. She always had planned on trying to get the ex wife's child from her... she's a very controlling, domineering, manipulative, spiteful hateful woman. Enough is enough, what goes around comes around! Her time has come to an end.

Were you fighting against an ex for your son, or did you have to fight in-laws? (if you don't mind me being overly nosy). Stuff like this is hard for anyone involved, I think.

Uh oh, I'm missing DOOL! I'll check in later.

Barb0522
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Melanie - Neither Robert nor I have any parents left alive. His dad actually usually sided with me when he was still alive. We got along great. I wanted a simple divorce where I gave Robert half of everything and he got standard visitation. But he ended up assaulting me and then he went to court and tried to ask for alimony, accused me of assault and really made things nasty. We've tried to keep Brian out of as much of it as possible. Maybe once he gets past the criminal charges, he won't have so much anger (I didn't file charges by the way, the police did). Robert resents having to pay the minimal child support but I supported him for over 6 years so maybe he just hates having to get a job.

I did check one Walmart for the Wii but there are lots more Walmarts. And I haven't checked Circuit City either. I can't throw money around since I do have legal fees that I'm sure I will have to pay once this is all over but I did get a raise recently and I know Brian would be very surprised and please to get this.

Schmoodle
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi chicks, here's a tip, if you type the url address of 3 fatchicks into your browser address bar, be sure you don't mistakenly leave out the "3". Ick. I just visited a very nasty place. :(

DD2 is bored so she has been very industrious today. She cleaned my kitchen, helped me hang laundry, folded towels, dusted, walked to the PO and the track with me at lunch and urged me to jog one time around, and is now looking for more jobs, although keeping her busy has kept me busy too! Okay, I need to find one more burst of motivation and work some more until 4 when I can quit and fix some dinner to take along to hb riding and the pool. It is gorgeous here today, can't wait to get out in it.

femmecreole
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Heather, re the plateu stuff...I hit them big time...sometimes it was over a month before I started losing again even though I never cheated. But I knew that I had to stick with it and it worked. Just let the fact that you are getting healthier be your main thought and the weight loss as a great bonus!!

My scale broke in May and I refuse to buy another one. (I really hate them and they lie and are stupid) but I weighed myself the other day at walmart and I've lost another 6 since the last time I weighed even though I pretty much just into maintainance...so that was a nice surprise...you just never know!!

On another note, I just made something yummy with a bunch of leftover stuff in the fridge:
1 can of black beans, rinsed well
chopped up red onion
chopped up bell pepper
small diced squash
grape tomotoes
a little cumin
a little creole seasoning
a little olive oil
a little garlic vinegar
juice of one lemon
a little salt
fresh black pepper
I was going to add cucumber, but it was only good for the compost..yuk

It's all marinating in the fridge now, but Terry (husband) and I both thought it was really good when we tested it.

Going to try to think of something creative a little later with a leek and a celery root...

zeffryn
07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi chicks, here's a tip, if you type the url address of 3 fatchicks into your browser address bar, be sure you don't mistakenly leave out the "3". Ick. I just visited a very nasty place. :(

DD2 is bored so she has been very industrious today. She cleaned my kitchen, helped me hang laundry, folded towels, dusted, walked to the PO and the track with me at lunch and urged me to jog one time around, and is now looking for more jobs, although keeping her busy has kept me busy too! Okay, I need to find one more burst of motivation and work some more until 4 when I can quit and fix some dinner to take along to hb riding and the pool. It is gorgeous here today, can't wait to get out in it.

Send her my way.

And about fatchicks.com? It's like seeing all of us in person instead of text. ;)

zeffryn
07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Going to try to think of something creative a little later with a leek and a celery root...

Roast those, girl!

Schmoodle
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
In person AND in the buff!

femmecreole
07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Zeff, I ended up sauteing them (celery root and leeks) in a little olive oil and creole seasoning, then when they "stuck" in the pan and made yummy "brown stuff" on the bottom, I deglazed with a little wine and let it simmer for a while, then added some parmesan cheese. yum.

Will try roasting nex time!!! Oh boy, new idea!

hmacneil6
07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
OK....those leeks sound so yummy!!! Wow, might have to pick some up next week and serve them over something. Regarding the celery root, I've never had it. What would I look for when I go to the store?

CyndiM
07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Cat - Do you make your own creole seasoning or is there a mix you really like?

Heather - That's how I lost all my weight! Drove me nuts!

Off to pick up my CSA bag :)

femmecreole
07-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Cyndi...no, I buy it...my favorite is Zatarain's (http://shop.zatarains.com/zatarains%C2%AE-creole-seasoning-p-1532.html)

Heather, It was just labeled "celery root" in the produce section...hard booger to cut up though...I ended up putting it in the food processor. It turned out real good...I put a blob of it on top of a turkey burger patty.
I think the celery root should really cook longer than the leeks...so next time I'll start them sooner, then add the leeks later. It was kind of crunchy..but very good.

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Barb, I am very sorry you and your son are going through this right now. It always makes me sad to see how nasty things can get in divorces, a child of divorced parents myself, I've seen how nasty those two can get. To this day, they still talk about eachother hatefully to their children. That's one of the main reasons why I helped my boyfriend's boyfriend's estranged wife (now ex, thank god) when she came to me, and decided to do the right thing and help them build the bridge back for their daughter's sake. Although ever since becoming involved with BF, I've had a jealousy over her... but now I see there is no need to. Once having a child together, you're in eachother's lives no matter what... and I finally grew up, matured, and realized that. Maybe your ex husband will do the same. I feel bad for you and your son that your ex is acting in such ways that are detrimental to a healthy relationship with his son (and also a healthy civil relationship with you, being that you are the mother of his child and it's important to get along for Brian's sake. It does so much damage to kids when parents act like this in a divorce, I know all too well.) It sounds like to me, you are trying to be the civil, mature one in all of this for your son's sake but he isn't. I hope for you and your son's sake that your ex grows up, gets a job, pays the support he should pay and understand why he should do so without begrudging it (my dad would b*tch about paying child support too!), and maybe get some anger managment counseling to understand why his anger could really hurt his son. Not to mention realize how it could destroy their relationship, knowing that his dad hurt his mom. I'm not religious but my 'prayers' so to speak are with ya... I wish you guys the best. I understand what it's like (I know a lot of people say this, but I really do, although I haven't been married or divorced or anything, but I've been in your son's position.) And I hope Brian gets his Wiii! How old is he btw? I know all the boys love video games, my BF is 27, his bro is 20, and they still love video games, as does my 18 year old bro. It would be really great for him to be able to get it. :)

Fat Melanie
07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey, does anyone have a recipe for Chicken And Leeks? I see ya'll are talking about leeks. My great-aunt made this fabulous dish called chicken n' leeks, I'm sure it's SBD appropriate, and it was really delicious.