Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default dealing with the loss of a pet (and what to do if you have another pet)

Yesterday I had to put my 11 year old toy poodle, Kirby, to sleep. Roughly two months ago my family found out he developed cancer in one of his hind legs. He had been limping and wouldn't put his right hind leg down for a few days. We initially thought he had sprained his ankle or pulled a muscle, but after the 3rd or 4th day we realized something else must've been up. After the doctor told us the news, we had him x-rayed and had several other tests done over a few weeks at a really amazing animal hospital. The cancer showed no signs of progression, so the vets at the animal hospital told us that we could have the infected leg amputated and have him go through chemotherapy and that should get rid of it. Well, no sooner than we made an appointment for his amputation, he began to whimper whenever we held him or picked him up in certain positions, and we found that the cancer had travelled to one of his front legs and also his kidney (he had one weak kidney). The docs thought that chemo and radiation treatment would slow down the progress and pain, but it didn't help one bit. It progressed so much in such a short amount of time that there was nothing left we could do for him. He was in sooo much pain for the past couple days that it only made sense to euthanize him. He barely got any sleep, didn't have the strength to eat, and any touch to his body made him scream bloody murder, and I didn't want him to have to suffer anymore. I've had him for 11 years, since he was 8 weeks old and I was 8 years old, and I really don't know what to do without him. My mom and I are both a wreck... and even my dad and older brothers cried. He's been with me through so much, I feel like I'm never gonna get over the loss of him. I seriously feel like I've lost a best friend. The strangest part though, is that on his last day he seemed so calm. He had been screaming and whining and whimpering due to pain constantly for the few days prior, but yesterday he was quiet and content, almost as if he was telling us he was ready to leave. The process was a lot more peaceful than I thought it would be, though. On Animal Planet, I always see vets placing animals on cold silver tables and injecting them with whatever it is they use through an IV. But the vet at the animal hospital placed my family and I in a nice room that resembled a living room and I got to hold and rock Kirby (while bawling my eyes out) as he put him to rest.

I also have a 3 year old yorkie at home named Moses. We adopted him at 10 wks old and Kirby's been there throughout his entire life. I'm not sure if he realizes yet that Kirby won't be back home, but I'm sure he will soon. Funny thing is, I think he knew Kirby was sick before even we did. About a week before we found out about the cancer, Moses (who's extremely social) wouldn't come out from underneath my bed, unless he had to pee or eat, and he stayed that way throughout the entire process, until about a week ago where he started to lick Kirby's legs, belly, and face often. Animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They have better senses than I thought. Anyway, for those of you who have had loss pets while you still had another one, how did you deal with the other pet? Did you adopt a new dog/cat/pig/bird/etc to keep the company? Did you forget about adopting just gave them extra special attention? I was wondering this because Moses has always had a partner in crime. He was always with his brothers and sisters for 10 weeks until we adopted him from the breeder, and when he came home with us he had Kirby, so I'm not sure if he's gonna like being by himself.

Thanks for reading you guys.
gigantosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When my parent's maltese had to be put to sleep, there were three critters in the household (all about the same size). My cat, Cleo - my parent's cat Sheba, and the maltese, Caesar. Caesar was about a year older than Sheba, and Sheba was very close to him. He was almost a "mother" to her when she was a kitten, and they were best buds throughout their life. They were middle-aged already when I moved back home to save money while I got my master's degree.

After Caesar was gone, Sheba would lie by the kitchen door for hours every day (where Caesar would come in from going potty), and cry. Not just a mew, but a wail, it tore at your heart. Every day, she spent a little less time at the door, but even months later she would still seem to look for him in his favorite spots.

She had never really warmed up to my cat. Even when Cleo was a tiny kitten, Sheba had little to no interest in her. Sheba would tolerate Cleo and even groom her occasionally (actually growling and hissing at her, and bopping her on the head while grooming her - it reminded you of an impatient mother cursing at a child while irritated at having to comb out the knots), but they never really became friends. Even after Caesar's passing, Sheba didn't shift her attention and affection onto Cleo. When he was alive, they would curl up together, but even after his death, she wouldn't curl up with Cleo. At best, they would sleep rump to rump with butts almost, but not quite touching.

Dogs tend to be more social than cats, though. If Moses spends much time alone (while the family is working or going to school, etc.) I think a companion probably is a good idea. If someone is almost always home, I think it's probably less important.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #3  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Two years ago we had to put down one of our two dogs. We thought it would be awhile brfore we could consider getting another.

However, our remaining dog was depressed. When you consider that she was raised from 8 weeks to 6 years with the other dog, it's not a surprise. They played together, slept together, walked together.

I first really noticed that she missed her friend on walks. She used to have a bouncey step, tail swinging high, with a big, tongue-lolling doggy grin on her face. When we started going alone her tail hung down, her head would hang down, she would simply walk - no trace of her former bounce. It was so sad!

When she went out in the back yard (where they used to play together so often), she would lay down on the deck and not move.

We ended up with a new companion for her less than 5 months after we had her friend put down. It was ahead of schedule for us, and for the first couple weeks she wasn't interested in the new puppy, but now they are very fast friends.

Wait and see how your pet copes, and how you feel, before adopting someone new.

Take care.
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

So sorry for your loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #5  
it's always something

I'm so sorry I recently lost my baby (see my profile) and it has been the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life. It is getting a little easier, but of course we'll never stop missing them. They are our children. Please stay strong, and know that tomorrow will be a tiny bit easier.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am so sorry.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #7  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I am so sorry! We had to put our dog down a a couple years ago and we had another dog. My dog was so lost w/out him b/c they were best of friends ever since we got him at 8 months old.
My moms dog was so sick up until the day we had him put down. That day he was calm, happy, and very loving. It still brings me to tears! So I too believe that he was telling us he was ready to go.
My dog had a cat to tease all day but he still was lost. He would walk around the house wimpering and he would lay down with his head on his bed (the other dogs) and whine. We finally got another dog and wow he was normal again!
But I think it would be a good idea to see how your pet reacts and go from there. It will also help your heart ache.
My family will never forget our old dog but it sure helped our heartache when we got the new one!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

I'm so sorry about your loss.

We had to put one of our cats to sleep a few years ago. It was a tough decision, but he was in so much pain. We had adopted him a few months earlier and the shelter said we could bring him back for their vet to look at him. Before we arrived at the shelter, he seemed, I don't know...okay? I knew he was hurting, but I just got the feeling that he wasn't ready to go yet.

He had spent most of his life at the shelter, having been returned for various reasons (he was afraid of men and dogs) and when he got back there, he started acting like he was ready to go. I remember him looking at me and it was almost as if he told me it was okay to let him go - he'd gone back to the place he knew best as "home" and he was happy to have the time with us. I still didn't like the idea of letting him go, but I didn't feel bad about it.

Our other cat changed completely afterwards. She was much more outgoing, but she did spend some time looking for him. We got another cat a month later and she didn't like him much at first, but they are buddies now.

When we adopted the new cat, I saw the date that he had arrived at the shelter - the exact same day we had put our other one down. The new guy practically leapt into my arms the moment we saw him and was ready to go home. I knew he was meant to be our next family member.

Some people tell those who have lost pets to replace them right away. It's not that easy when that pet had been a part of your family. No pet can truly replace the one that has been lost and we knew when we were ready to adopt again.
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #9  

Thank you guys so much for all the responses, and I'm sorry for your losses too.

I'm gonna take you guys' advice and wait and see how Moses acts after awhile. He's been very reclusive, and at nights he sleeps in or near Kirby's bed. He's also reluctant to come near me ever since I came home from the hospital. I'm the one who held Kirby as they were putting him to sleep, and I even held him for 20 mins or so after, so I had his "death" scent all over me, I guess, and Moses has been acting strange around me. I'm hoping he doesn't think I killed him or something.

The whole family is open to getting a new dog, it's just a matter of how soon I suppose. My mom loves toy poodles and wants another but I dunno if I can take seeing a Kirby replica running around the house, ya know?

Btw, Suzanne your dog was so cute! I definitely agree with you when you say it's the most painful thing you've ever experienced.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

I'm so sorry! But now Kirby has crossed the rainbow bridge and is painfree. he will be waiting for you!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Im sorry you had to make a hard decision...but it had to be done. As for getting another pet...i always suggest to owners, give it time. Some need a pet to help sooner than others. My guess is the right pet will fall in your lap when you don't expect it. As for the other dog...i dont think he "thinks" you "killed" the other dog. I think he's just confused. Most dogs know when the time is near for another fellow dog. I think he's just going thr some mourning. pets do mourn. Having another pet may help the other dog...but just make sure they get along. Sorry for your loss. I know its a very hard time. Hang in there.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #12  

Thanks so much to both of you.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: S185/C145-150/G125

I'm so very sorry to hear about poor Kirby. I'm going through the EXACT same thing as you are right now, and I know how awful it feels.
I have a Bedlington Terrier named Shannon, and she's 14 years old in people years. She has a cancerous tumor growing behind her right eye, and there is absolutely nothing any veternarian can help cure. She usually sleeps all day long, but 4 nights ago, she just has not been the same. I'm thinking she had a stroke, because she can barely see out of the both of her eyes, she no longer responds to her name, she's unusually disoriented, and she walks into things late at night. Shannon also thinks that the window outside is the door.
I'm devestated. She's been my best friend ever since I was 5, and to see her the way she is now literally tears me up. More than half of my childhood memories involve her.

It's so crazy how similar our stories are. I also have another dog; her name is Maxie, and she's a Scottish Terrier. Every morning she waits for Shannon to wake up, so that they can go outside together. Otherwise, she lays around until she hears Shannon. We got Maxie after we had Shannon for 3 years, and they've been inseperable. I honestly don't know what is going to happen/how Maxie will react. To be honest, I'm really worried.

Agh, sorry I didn't mean to go off on a huge ramble. I was literally floored at how we're practically going through the same thing.

I'm not going to lie, I cried when I read about your poor Kirby.
It reminds me so much of Shannon. (I'm really attatched to my pets, as you can see, lol.)

If you want to talk, I'd be more than happy to help. I really mean it too, I'm not just saying that.
I'll keep Kirby in my thoughts <3
Chubbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote