PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #1  

Default Newbie here looking for support and help

Hi! I just found this page and I am very excited to meet people going through the same thing!
I was just diagnosed with pcos last week after almost 3 years of a fight. But I have had pain for almost 10 years. In 1998 I had a laperoscopy because of pain and they told me there was nothing there other than some scar tissue in my tubes but he didnt see anything wrong. So, it because something I dealt with and was on the pill off and on. I was married 6 years ago and came off the pill right before (decididng to let nature take its course) and became pregnant on my wedding night. SHOCKER! After having my daughter I have had problem after problem! My ob/gyn would constantly find a different diagnoisis everytime I went, but it was always the same symptoms and always the same treatment, which would work for a while then I would be back months later. Last time he said everything looked "perfect" and didnt know what was wrogn and wanted to do a laperoscopy and a colonoscopy. I got home and thought, no.....I did not want to go through these things for a "maybe". So I called a new Dr. who was highly reccomended and had to wait since March to get in last week. (I figured that if nothing else atleast I would have a second opinion.) I was so ready, Ihad tracked every pain, spotting, clot, EVERYTHING since March so I could show him. (During this time my husband saw a segment on the Today show about pcos and Tivo'd it for me because he said I had all the symptoms, but my Dr. had NEVER mentioned that) So, I went into his office and sat down and he said, "So your here for a second opinion about lack of cycles" and I told him I was and I had tracked everything and game him a brief history of what I had been going through and he said he didnt even need to do an exam he knew what I had. He asked if I had ever heard of pcos and I told him my husband said had that and he said he took one look at me in the waiting room and knew it was what I had.
Anyway, he was very upset and said that I had been jerked around for years and could not believe that my husband could diagnose me off of the Today show but a dr. could not.

So, I am happpy to finally have something wrong with me that has a name, but I am also a little scared because this is a whole new way of life and I have to make many life-style changes.
I am getting ready to start the IR iet on monday and from what I hear it is easy to follow with great results, so we will see.

I am hoping to make new friends on here that will help support me and visa-versa and get throught this together!

Thanks!
PeteyJeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Welcome to 3FC! Wow, that is great that you got pregnant so quickly. I also got pregnant really quickly, and then started to notice PCOS symptoms while I was pregnant. It slowly got worse over the years, but I wasn't diagnosed for 7 years.

That's a shame that a doctor today can not diagnose PCOS. There really isn't an excuse for all MD's to know it by now.

Good luck to you and your new diet - please let us know how it is working for you. You'll have many interested readers! I was scared too. I hated that I had it, but glad to know what the problem was. Scared and relieved at the same time is hard to describe.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #3  

I think the scarriest for me right now is the IR....from everything I have read it is pretty much being pre-daibetic. So, its a have to thing, which I guess is a good motivation. I guess it is better to look at all of this as lifestyle change and not a diet. Maybe I will feel like a new woman!
PeteyJeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #4  
God, Gratitude, Grace

S/C/G: 315 (2/09) /see ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Welcome I am newly diagnosed as well after suspecting PCOS for a while.

The IR scares me too, and my doctor who is wonderful, wants to do a watchful approach before medicating -- he is giving me 8 weeks to lose 5% of my body weight, then re-evaluating (we decided together). He says by far the best way to reduce the symptoms of PCOS (and lower the instance of becoming diabetic) is weight loss and exercise so you are in the right place!

We can all do this together *hug*

Last edited by allowingslender; 07-13-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: to clarify
allowingslender is offline   Reply With Quote