Whole Foods Lifestyle - Counting Superfoods?

View Full Version : Counting Superfoods?

sotypical
07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I finally got around to ordering the book (only been thinking about it for a year!) - it wont be here for a bit but I am starting to think about superfoods.

How do you count them?
If you eat say strawberries and blueberries... is 1 or 2?
If you have say 6 cups of tea is it 1?

Do you just try and eat as many as you can? or aim for a certain number (and higher?)? I am sure once I read the book it will make more sense...

walking2lose
07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
That's a great question. I, unfortunately, don't know the answer, but there are several 3FC'ers who count Superfoods daily, so I'm sure you'll get an answer.

WarMaiden
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
There are 21 or so Superfoods groups. So I just count it as 1 when I've had something from that group. Multiple servings from a particular group don't get added up; it's still just 1 group.

So today, for example, so far I've eaten from the following groups: blueberry, soy, oat, spinach, spices, bean, turkey, pumpkin, orange, tea, avocado, onion, garlic, and tomato groups. So that's 14 groups altogether. However, in the oat group I actually had some oats, and some flaxseed, and some wheat (flaxseed and wheat are "sidekicks" for oats)...but it's still just 1 group, even though I ate a few different foods in that group.

Glory87
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I think you should do whatever works for you! I count them as a group, so if I ate blueberries in my oatmeal and then cherries for a snack, it would be 1 (berries) super food :).

I do basically try to eat as many as I can (within calorie limits for the day).

sotypical
07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
21 groups? wow!

Thanks for the tips! :)

sotypical
07-09-2008, 12:32 AM
So I planned my day for tomorrow using some superfoods... i think I am really going to like this!!!

Suzanne 3FC
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
There's a fairly new superfood weight loss diet book out which was written by Pratt, maybe that will be of help?

Btw, Courtnie, I LOVE your avatar, is that your baby?

sotypical
07-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Suzanne - this was the one I ordered (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140246364047&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:31) - says 2007 so hopefully that is the right one!

Thank you! Yes that is my baby Keiko! :)