LA Weight Loss - The Step Diet

View Full Version : The Step Diet

sassybiscuit
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm working hard on the step diet. I really like it, but would like to have a buddy. Is there anyone else here that does it? Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks!:D

CatR
07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Congratulations on your success with The Step Diet so far:carrot:

I started logging 10,000+ steps per day for the first couple of weeks of June and was slowly losing weight. Then 3 weeks ago, my area started getting a lot of smoke from the California fires and I stopped and regained my weight. There isn't any reason why I couldn't get in my steps inside when I can't get out because of the air, so I would like to join you.

I can get the book from the library tomorrow for some guidelines. I know from my limited experience that this approach works. So off to put on my pedometer.:)

sassybiscuit
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
YEAH! I am so excited! This seems to work for me and it's not very complicated. I am so glad to hear that you lost on it!

I've only lost 4 pounds, but hey... it's 4 pounds!

BillBlueEyes
07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I think the book, The Step Diet, is just one of the best reads ever. It got the point through to me that as I lost weight I had to walk further to burn the same calories. And I just loved the idea of cutting one fourth out of a hamburger and tossing it.

It turned out not to be the way I lost my weight, but I have worn a pedometer daily for 30 months and remain a strong believer in walking.

So I'm not a candidate for being your weight loss buddy, but am a great enthusiast in what you're doing and I send you my best supportive thoughts.

sassybiscuit
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
OMG! I am so excited. It seems to be the only thing that has gotten my attention as well. I can't stand to count calories and envy those who can pull it off. I just try to eat 75% less and have done the same thing to a hamburger, the dogs love it! ;)

Thanks for all the support. I'll keep posting. It's nice to know that others out there have read it and liked it too.

YEAH! CatR has a ticker!

:hug:

CatR
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Well, 5015 "official" steps is a start. My first goal for the 3 weeks of July is based on 11,000 steps per day, since I was logging over 10,000 a day during the two week period I was wearing my pedometer.

sassybiscuit
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
That sounds like a great start. I'm glad you had a pedometer laying around. I walked myself half to death yesterday and my legs hurt today. I didn't want to NOT meet my weekly goal and I had 3 bad days last week. The good news is that I made it! I got over 69,300 steps last week. I hope to get 72,500 this week.

I went back and looked at the total number of steps that I had laid out and somehow mis-added them. They are in an excel spreadsheet, so I'm not sure how I did it. I fixed my required total for the month. I want to put the spreadsheet in my blog but haven't figured out how to do that just yet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

CatR
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I got The Step Diet today and have started reading it. I was happy to find that there were step equivalents for other exercises. I weight train 2-3 times per week, which doesn't involve that many steps. In June, I was doing additional walking to get the 10,000 step minimum, so I was spending a lot of time on exercise on my weight training days. I am pleased to have a more reasonable way to go about this.

The air was clear, so I was able to take an hour's walk this morning. Today was also a big shopping day, so I nearly made up for yesterday's "official" step shortfall.

sassybiscuit
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm glad you can use other exercises too. I haven't sat down and really looked at that part yet. :) It's a nice day for a walk here too. I didn't get my steps yesterday, darn it. I was REALLY tired from the day before (15,000 steps is a lot to me!). I also had to work and Wednesday's seem to be my worst step day. I'll have to work on that. :dizzy:

andreaphilip3
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
how bout using walking away the lbs for indoors?

CatR
07-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Thank you Andreaphilip3 for the suggestion about "Walk Away the Pounds". I don't have that one and it would be a good one for logging steps on days I can't get outside (like today when a lot of smoke has settled in my area).

Sassybiscuit,15,000 steps is a lot. That inadvertantly happened while I was gathering supplies for a car camping trip next week to Great Basin National Park. I went to a Walmart Superstore and Costco. The steps add up in a hurry with large stores like those. We hope to get away from the smoke. So far there aren't any major fires in eastern Nevada, but that is likely to soon change.

I came close to my goal today with a weight training session and 10 minutes on a rebounder (which the pedometer seemed to be able to handle). The smoke is supposed to persist through Saturday, so I'll try an aerobics DVD tomorrow.

Some days it does seem like it is really hard to get the steps in. If Wednesday is a hard day, could you "bank" some steps during the rest of the week? I hope your legs have recovered. It does take a while for the body to get used to longer periods of exercise.

I am continuing to read The Step Diet. I was surprised that it takes 27 steps for me to burn a calorie. I sometimes get a medium Frosty from Wendy's. I am guessing from the food charts at the back of the book that it takes about 12 megacalories to burn it off. I do about 6,000 steps per hour while walking at a moderate pace. That means that 2 hours of walking is needed to neutralize the calories!:eek: This book is a real reality check.

CatR
07-12-2008, 12:07 AM
The smoke cleared out this morning so I was able to walk outside. Got my steps in. Yeah!:)

sassybiscuit
07-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Sorry I've been away. It's been a crazy night at work!

I have the Walk Away the Pounds videos - it's what I was donig when my knee went kaput. I like them a lot. It keeps track of how far you've gone on the screen, which always makes me feel like I'm making some sort of progress. ;)

I work Wednesday through Saturday, 2nd shift. I'm stil struggling with my steps on the days that I work and this week has been especially hard. I was tired on Wednesday (from those 15,000) and then my hubby went out of town on Thursday (will be back on Sunday), so I have been tracking babysitters, etc. I got a promotion and my days will change in a few week (to Monday-Thursday, WHOO-HOO!), so that'll be another adjustment.

I am so glad that you did your weight training session! I'm even more glad that the smoke has cleared!

I think that I am going to take your suggestion about "banking" steps. I need a goal, so perhaps I'll sit down and figure out something doable when I get home tonight. I'm supposed to be off work at 11:30pm (now), but it's been nuts and I can't leave.

I've been reading the Step Diet as well. It's taking some getting used to. I'm currently trying to get a firm grasp on the mega-steps and such. I'm still confused. :dizzy: I would like to vary things a bit, though I think that I need to get a hold of what I already am trying to do before I go making changes. I don't want to lose track of the prize! I took the day off tomorrow (no childcare), so I shouldn't have a problem "banking" some!

That book IS a reality check! Since our night was so busy, the on-staff supervisor said she would get us all ice cream. The FIRST thought that came to my mind was "NO! I can't get enough steps!" LOL! :D The bad part of that is that I still haven't eaten all day. I had a Slim Fast shake because it was in my office fridge... that's it. I brought some frozen veggies (those steamers are great!), but I never got around to doing it. I suppose that I could do it now, but I think it's too late.

I'm gonna get on track if it's the last thing I do. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I need to update my spreadsheet and look at my trends... more to come, of course!

CatR
07-13-2008, 02:28 AM
A Mega-step is just a unit of 1000 steps. It is confusing, but I think I am starting to figure things out. I am retired, so I have more flexibility for exercise and meals than you do. You really have some challenging days. I hope your new schedule in August makes things easier for you. I got my steps in today just by running errands and cleaning. Tomorrow will be weight training plus a bit of walking if I need it.

sassybiscuit
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I am so glad that you are doing well! I'm still struggling, though I'm on track for the week. I hope to start weight training sometime soon. I have a membership to the gym, I just need to stabilize first I think!

Do you understand the BodySteps? I was reading through the book and it said that you Resting Metabolic Rate decreases as you lose weight, so you will have to exercise more to maintain your weight (p.80). I looked at the tables in the back and the BodySteps (the steps your body burns for you just because) increased as weight decreased. I have obviously gotten myself confused somehow, but can't figure out how. They said that the key to losing and maintaining was to make sure that your MegaStep value remains the same throughout your weight loss and after (p.70), though if the BodySteps increase when you lose weight, wouldn't that mean that you would have to exercise less? That doesn't make any sense.
Thanks!

CatR
07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I didn't do all that great yesterday--only got in 5200 steps or so. Today is still young, though I won't be making up for yesterday.

You haven't gotten yourself confused. The authors of this book confused you. On page 70, under item 6 about keeping Megasteps constant as you lose weight: "...to do this, you will increase your Lifesteps to compensate for the expected drop in your Bodysteps, because of the drop in your metabolism as you lose weight" isn't right based on info I picked up later in the book. I think whoever wrote that statement is the one who is really confused. Your metabolism does drop, but your Bodysteps go up because of how Bodysteps have been defined. This is something that should have be clarified at the beginning.

Check out page 114, item 3 for the following:
The BodyStep quantity is your resting metabolism rate X the number of steps you need to take to burn 1 calorie. You only need to take 18 or so and I have to take 27. So your resting metabolism is (assuming you are in your early 20s) is 31,303/18=1739. Mine, since I am older and weigh less is 32,246/27=1194.

This section shows you how to re-calculate your Megasteps after losing some weight. What I don't understand, is why you can't just find your new Bodystep quantity directly from Appendix B based on your new weight instead of going through all the math. The example on pages 114-115 calculates Val's new Bodysteps at 33,682. Appendix B's value is 34,140 (5'4", 165 pounds, age 25). So there is a discrepancy, but it only amounts to 20 calories a day, figured at 22 steps per calorie.

Weight training is a great thing for increasing basal metabolism. My energy expenditure (Bodysteps + Lifesteps) is supposed to be 1679 calories or so. Since I can lose close to 2 pounds a month if I am strict about keeping my calories 1550-1600 and getting at least 10,000 steps a day, my actual caloric expenditure is probably around 200 calories more. This would be unexpected for a woman my age in the authors' tables and I figure it is the muscle from my weight training.

We are leaving tomorrow for our trip to Eastern Nevada, so I won't be able to post for 10 days after logging my steps tonight. I am taking my pedometer. We will be doing a lot of dayhiking and I hope to make up the steps from yesterday and the ones I won't be getting while on the road.:D

It will be great getting away from the smoke for a while. The air is bad again; this situation is supposed to last until the end of the month. Most of the fires are only 50% contained and will continue to burn for a while after 100% containment.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a while to get a new routine worked out. It doesn't help to beat yourself up if you don't get in all your steps on a given day.

sassybiscuit
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm running late, so I can't write much. Thanks for the help on the book and MOST OF ALL --

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP and LOG THOSE STEPS!

:carrot::carrot:

spryng
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
wow, this thread definitely got my interest! :) I just ordered the book off of amazon! I can't wait until it arrives, sounds like something that is a simple as walking more and eating 25% less? I can do that! :) you have any advice for me while I wait on the book? I'm gonna buy a pedometer tonight as well! :) what should be my initial daily goal?

sassybiscuit
07-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi spryng and WELCOME!

The book requires that you track your daily steps for a week without making any changes so that you know where you are "at" (average the 7 days). I would recommend that you track your daily steps and then just wait on the book. The book comes with a pedometer, though I bought my own (I love the Omron). I wouldn't set a daily goal until you know where you start. Then you are supposed to add 2000 steps per day to your first week (no changes) average. After wards, you officially start a 12 week program adding 500 steps per week.

I might not have explained this well enough, so just ask if I have confused you! I'm so glad that you are here!

Sassy:hug:

spryng
07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
No that makes perfect sense actually! :) I don't think my book is coming with a pedometer becuase I bought it used off of amazon but I don't mind buying one, I'll just have to wait until friday and then I'll track my steps :) I'm so excited. I told my dh about it and he too wants a pedometer as well. He's an otr truck driver so if he can work on walking a few steps a day more then he'll lose weight easier as well so it's a win win for us, I'm soo glad I found this thread!

sassybiscuit
07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm glad I made some sort of sense! ;)

I wanted my DH to do it with me too, though it seems he doesn't wanna. Darn. He's tall and thin anyway. He'd probably just get all buff-n-stuff and make me jealous. LOL! I am so glad your husband is going to do it with you. I bet it'll end up being fun for both of you.

I have a friend, Lori, and we've been lifetime "team dieters". We've lost and gained... together. She goes up, I go up. I go down, she goes down. She brought her kids over to my house one day when I was gone (to swim) and I called her and said to go in the house and get this book. Now she's hooked! She won't admit that she is following the book, but I know she is. Sneaky woman! :) She's really competitive (I'm maybe a little on occasion). She says "I'm not watching the scale", but I know she's just not wanting to admit that she hasn't caught up with me yet. :dizzy: I call her everyday at lunchtime. She used to be in the cafeteria, but recently she's been "going for a nice walk to get out". Sheesh! :D I love it. She keeps me on my toes. I just have to laugh at her. No wonder we make such a good team, she brings out the competitiveness I didn't know I had.

sassybiscuit
07-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I am doing well and getting my steps. I can't wait until CatR comes back, I wanna hear about her trip!

Hey spryng, how are you doing? :)

spryng
07-19-2008, 10:25 PM
ok so I got a pedometer today :) so excited to average my steps this next week but I have a question. I know from what I read that when you first get your pedometer and you count out so many steps (I did 50) and then double check the pedometer and it's 10 steps within that number that is considered accurate right? ok but I have worries, just as I was clipping it on it read a couple steps so I reset it before I actually began to walk, but what about while driving? will the jostling of a vehicle make it count steps? I'm worried that my number may be really inaccurate because of changing positions in my chair at work or driving, how do you keep those things from messing your steps up?

spryng
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
oh sorry sassy, I meant to get more personal, lol..
I think it's great you have a friend who is secretly doing the plan also, lol.. whatever motivates is great! :)
I am still waiting on my book, hoping it's in monday but I got my pedometer as I already mentioned so this next week I'll just be doing my normal stuff to average my steps for a week :)

sassybiscuit
07-21-2008, 06:42 AM
I haven't done so well the last 2 days. I ate like CRAZY yesterday, which is OK, but it makes me feel yucky. I don't eat pizza often, but I ate it yesterday and I feel over-full. I didn't get my steps, but there is still hope for the week. My hubby said he wouldn't mind wearing a pedometer to see how many steps he averages. He's heard me talk about it so often, I think I might have peaked a bit of curiosity. I could see him figuring out his average and then not wearing it anymore. :)

Spryng - I think that a lot of pedometers do that and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think that mine does it occasionally. I've never had the car ride affect it, but it might effect some. I tend to think that it happens everyday, so the average would still be the same. If you are increasing your steps, then you will still be walking more. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What pedometer do you have? I have the Omron and it's accurate. It sometimes adds steps too, but I have noticed that it takes a second to start logging some, so it plays catch-up sometimes.

spryng
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
yeah I'm starting to think the same, as long as I increase whatever average I get it shouldn't matter. :) the brands is a Walking Advantage Sportline. I couldn't find an omron which is what I wanted but that is ok, this one seems pretty accurate so far :)
I was hoping my book would be in today!! but its not, hopefully tomorrow :)

sassybiscuit
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
YEAH! I'm so glad to have another person doing this and happy that you got a pedometer! I hope your book comes soon. I've read a great deal of it, but I still find it helpful to go back through. It's a pretty easy read. :D

CatR
07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Sassybiscuit I am back a few days early because our truck developed a problem and it was prudent to get back home. But we had a wonderful time. We saw a lot of wildflowers on our hikes. No problem getting my steps in when there are beautiful places to walk:D

The weather got a bit wild yesterday when we were getting close to home. Nevada got an influx of moisture from the Arizona monsoon and severe thunderstorm cells kept popping up. We were listening to the radio and the programming was continuously interrupted by warnings which included tornado watches and advice on what to do in the event of a tornado. In Nevada! One funnel was spotted (not by us), but it never touched ground. We only directly encountered one cell --really heavy rain, but no hail thank goodness. We were either ahead or behind the others.

:welcome2:I am glad you found us, Spryng. The Step Diet is a sensible approach to lifetime weight management.

I am stepping OK, but it's time to concentrate on the food part.

sassybiscuit
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
WHOO-HOO! I'm glad you're back and had a pretty good time. I need to focus on food too, I had a binge day on Sunday. The first one of the month, but still. I'm back on track now. Thank goodness!

amyx33
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
hey! how are teh steps going sassy?
i have done like 14000 so far i have only been up for a few hours though haha/
and as you know i cant do to much exercise right now, doctor rules.
and everyone tht i kno rules haha.

but i am going to make sure to do alot. tomorrow i have orientation at college so thts alot of walking so.. i will get all my steps in tomorrow.. woohoo

spryng
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
hey all!
ok so my book came yesterday, hence why I was mia, I was reading all evening, lol.. but I think my pedometer might have screwed up yesterday, since sunday the most steps I've taken (i'm just averaging right now) was 3400 a day but yesterday when I went to bed I took it off and looked and it and it said 9205!!! no way! I didnt do anything special yesterday, my normal daily routine, I did go to walmart for about 30 min but I did that on sunday for an hr and didn't get near that many steps so what gives? today I hooked it on my bra and seem to be getting an even better readout so maybe I had it on wrong yesterday or maybe I was fidgeting too much? I honestly don't think that number is right at all.
anyway, today is going well so far though.
nice to meet you amy! 1400 steps is awesome especially for this early in the day.
Cat nice to meet you too! sorry your trip was cut short!

sassybiscuit
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
amyx33 - The steps are rockin'! I got them last week and I just started a new week today. Now I need 11,500 per day for the week. 14,000 steps is a lot. I got that occasionally, though it's usually when I do mowing and such. Don't forget to take it easy!

spryng - Maybe the bra is the best place. I'd wait it out. I've never had mine do that, but at the worst, you can just do 8 days and leave that messy day out to make sure.

Glad to see you all doing pretty well!

CatR
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Spryng: Maybe you just forgot to re-set your pedometer to "0" yesterday. I did that one day on my trip. I tried attaching the pedometer to my bra because it sometimes digs into my waist, but I didn't like the bulge. Glad to hear your book showed up.

The sky was gloriously clear Monday afternoon and yesterday morning because of the storm activity to the east, but the smoke from the California fires has drifted back again :( . I was able to get my walk in this morning because the wind shifted a bit :). Nevada has been really lucky this year. Usually there are several wildland fires going by now.

I figured my July goal based on 11,000 steps a day just because I'd been doing above 10,000 a day during the 2-week period in June. So I'll be stepping up things in July :D.

Right now, I am at my maximum "healthy" weight with a BMI just below 25. I have an apple-shaped body and am storing my fat around my waist and abdomen (bad, bad, bad), so losing 10 pounds of fat would be beneficial in reducing risk factors for heart disease, and Type II diabetes and other nasties. I have a good basic eating plan that comes to about 1600 calories a day (no sugar or alcohol). I feel better if I don't eliminate basic foods to allow for sugar or alcohol and don't want to drop my food intake below that level. So I figure I am going to have to get my daily activity level up to 15,000 steps or so to drop the weight and to allow for an occasional indulgence.

spryng
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
no I didn't forget to reset it, must have just been a glitch, it's doing much better so far today :)
cat I'm right there with you, my bmi is 24 as well but I gain mostly around the waist too so I an trying to get some of that to move! but lately it's not moving very fast, lol..
well I will be mia this weekend. DH and I are taking the kids to grandma's house and we are getting a fun weekend away from home in tulsa, I'm soooo excited! I need a break :) then monday I will come back to knowing what my average is and I can add 2000 steps a day.
how do you all get your exta steps per day? and does it really only take 5 min to get 500 steps?

CatR
07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
When I walk, I get about 6,000 steps per hour, so 500 steps in 5 minutes is consistent with that. I live just below some National Forest land and have a nice place to walk with wildflowers, deer and other animals, so it is easy for me to get a few more steps in if I need to bump up my total at this time of year. Snow and mud make that difficult in the winter. I kind of run in place on a mini-trampoline if it is too smokey to walk outside.

As Sassybiscuit pointed out, yard work can run up your step total a surprising amount. I too had a 14,000+ day after a couple of hours of pulling weeds on top of my usual workout.

I read The Step Diet tonight and will start upping my steps next week by 500 points a week since I am doing OK with 11,000 steps now.

sassybiscuit
07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Woo-hoo ladies! It seems like you both are doing pretty well. When I started the step diet, my average steps were about 7300. This week, I have to get 11,500 per day. It seems really doable. I get between 500 and 600 steps every 5 minutes (I had to edit this because I originally said per minute... talk about speed walking!). I park in the back of the lot and walk on my breaks at work. It seems to add quite a few. It seems silly, but I put all the cleaners in kitchen cabinet, so I have to walk to get them. I also have a neighbor that just had a baby and we go for walks every Tuesday evening. There are just so many ways to add steps! I even found myself slowing down at the grocery store so that I can walk farther! I don't know how I'll do when I get to a higher number, but I almost always get about 12,000 steps when I get on the treadmill for 40 minutes a day.

I am looking into classes that I can take twice weekly. I can't really do it now, but my DS starts school on August 11th and I can go after I drop him off at school. That's my plan, at least for now. I feel like the step thing is pretty under control and that I might be able to add something else a couple times a week. I mow our yard on Monday's (usually) and then my elderly neighbors yard on Tuesday's (usually)... it's a pretty good workout. I have to admit that my weeding and flower gardens have gone bad this year because I have been spending that time mowing my neighbor's yard. I plan on planting some bushes this fall, which will make it easier next year. I wish I could figure out what the bush is called, I know what they look like, but I don't know how to find 6 of them! I better get on that!

I am surprised at the Step Diet. It seems to work out pretty well. Best one I've ever done! My DS (he's 7) said he wanted a pedometer to do steps with me. Isn't that sweet? He's offered a couple times to wear my pedometer and put steps on it so I "don't have to work so hard"! LOL! I wish it worked like that!

CatR
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
What a sweet thing for DS to say.

Classes might be something for me to consider this winter when the outdoors walking is difficult or impossible. The nearest big enclosed mall is 15 miles away. I do have aerobics DVDs and a Nordic Track (boring!), but getting in 15,000 steps could be a challenge. Will have to see what I can work out. In the meantime, I'll take care of the steps I need to do today. :D

CatR
07-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I figured out how to work in a glass of wine and a bottle of ale each week--reduce my daily calories by 20 and increase daily steps by 300 :). Sunday has usually been my "rest" day, so maybe I'll plan on 10,300 steps for Sunday and only increase the steps for the remaining 6 days. Adapting the Step Program to my lifestyle is an interesting exercise in preparing for lifetime maintenance.

sassybiscuit
07-27-2008, 02:08 PM
CatR - That's a really good idea. I should think about having a rest day. To be completely honest, I seem to take a rest day once a week unscheduled! There's always one day that I goof up. We went camping last night and I just got home. There wasn't too much walking involved, so I'll have to get to it today. I drank a bit (which isn't like me) and I feel pretty puny today. Walking may very well become a challenge today. I think I'll go mow the front yard, perhaps that will help.

I don't know how to "catch up" with steps when I need the higher numbers (like 15,000). It seems that at that point, I'll have to stay on it or I'll never make it.

CatR
07-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Psychologically, it is certainly helpful to have a day when you can slack off a bit. And life sometimes happens. 15,000 steps is going to be coming up pretty fast with 500 additional steps a week. And we are going to have to stay on top of things to work them in. Hopefully, this will become more routine with time.

I am more satisfied with the amount of food on my eating plan now. My mental attitude has improved a lot since reading and reflecting on The Step Diet. I think I am starting to accept what I need to do in order to drop some weight and then maintain it.

spryng
07-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Hello all! I'm back! Got in late last night :)
the weekend was a wonderful getaway but it's nice to be home :)

ok so today I'm finally adding in 2000 steps! My weeks average was 3400 so today my goal was 5400 which I'm only about 400 steps from right now so it is definitely going to happen. I went to walmart and parked in the very last spot on the row which was a nice hike into the store, my kids were like, what are you thinking! lol.. I said we are gonna get some exercise in, lol.. then when I got home I walked on my treadmill for about 15 min and that helped alot :) tomorrow I think I might do it in 5 min bursts while I'm working. I get 20 min in breaks so I'm thinking about breaking it up into 4 five minute treadmill breaks since my treadmill stays in my office with me :) But anyway, I'm super excited about it! but even after I add my 8000 steps (500 per week for 12 weeks) that only puts me at 11400 steps per day, you guys are definitely bigger walkers than I am..
Oh and I weighed myself this morning to get my starting weight, I need to change my tracker because I gained those 4 lbs back :( but not again, 2000 steps per day is suppose to keep you from gaining again so I hope that is right! I don't ever want to be in the 140's again! :)

spryng
07-29-2008, 11:23 AM
morning all! just wanted to add that I got in 5700 steps yesterday! so 300 over my goal! yay!! :) I think this is going to be easier than I thought :) we'll see what the scale says, lol

CatR
07-30-2008, 01:47 AM
:carrot: Good work on surpassing your goal! The steps can add up surprisingly fast when you are figuring out ways to get them in.

When I've exercised consistently in the past, I did about 8,000 steps per day. So it wasn't that much of a stretch to go up to 11,000. It will get easier to log steps when you become accustomed to a higher activity level. :)

Are we going to start a new "Step Diet August" thread on Thursday? Or continue to post on this one?

sassybiscuit
07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Hello ladies! Sorry I've been away, kinda having a tough time right now. My Mom was in a motorcycle accident 3 weeks ago and the guy she was with just died last week. My Mom is having all kinds of issues, so I've been trying to spend time with her, but she lives an hour away from me and it's tough. Biologically she's fine, just returned to work on Monday. Emotionally, she's a wreck. I guess she wants me around because I'm her daughter, but I also happen to be a therapist too. My Dad hurt his hip and can't walk well. I went over and picked through his garden for him and then blanched green beans and stuff so he wouldn't have to do it. Then I mowed his mother's (my grandmother) yard, as he can't. That was 3 yards this week! I'm an only child, there's a lot to keep up with! Then, my best friend (who is married to my husband's best friend) told me that they might be separating. :( My dog has been acting out, chewed the center piece right out of the sliding glass door! Now it won't stay shut. Man, lots o' stress around here. Whew... I can't remember the last time I had this much action going on. I generally live a pretty quiet life! Hopefully, it will return to quiet in the near future!

Good job Spryng! Getting the steps is easier when you start doing little things. I start needed 12,000 this week and make my steps for last week. It's been a struggle, then the scale started going UP?! What? Oh well, I suppose this too will pass. I would think that it would be harder to get the pounds off as you are closer to your goal. The back section, that CatR helped me understand about steps and resting metabolism may be really beneficial to you.

CatR - We can start a new thread or keep this one, it really doesn't matter to me. Do you have a preference (or anyone else)? I've got my August goal all planned out already and am ready to get that scale going back down! I'm going to try to take your advice and have one scheduled "rest" day per week. I think that I need it, don't we all!

You ladies are definatly keeping me going! I don't think that I have been over-eating or anything since all my stress started, but perhaps it's the reason that I was at 196 forever and now I'm officially 197. I'll just keep moving and see what happens in August!

Happy stepping! :hug:

spryng
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Morning all!!
I vote on an august thread :) I like shorter threads for sure, lol..

Sassy, soooo sorry about your mom and her friend! Sounds like you have been very busy lately!

well yesterday I even walked on the treamill for 20 min and I came about 900 steps short for the day, weird.. but I'll add that to todays and catch up :) I like that you can do extra so one day you can do less, etc which I'm sure I'll be doing alot of :) but I did peek at the scale this morning and i'm down .6 lbs which I know isn't a lot but it's the right direction :) :) my offical wi will be friday :)

CatR
07-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Sassybiscuit: :hug: How terrible for your poor mother. You've certainly have had a lot going on in your life on top of your job with its long days. I hope your new job schedule this month helps some. I am still trying to figure out how many steps to have for the "rest day" in coming up with the monthly goal.

Spryng: My WI day is Sunday. I hope to make 133. The flexibility in "banking" steps is nice. Fits with real life.

I am in favor of starting an new thread for August.

sassybiscuit
07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Hello ladies! I made an August thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2294572#post2294572

I have 571 steps left for the month, so I'm saying that I was right on target. I got on the treadmill for an hour yesterday just to make sure that I could get 12,000 on a day that I work and ended up with 14545! Over-shot that by a bit! I guess it'll help me have a rest day this week!

:carrot:

spryng
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Hello ladies! :)
yeah I over shot yesterday as well! I only needed 5400 and I got over 7700!!! and it was easy! today I'm only about 1000 away from goal so I'll have it in plus some before bed just by normal movements :)

sassy you were on fire!!!! and thanks for starting the new thread! I can't believe july is just about over, this year is flying by!

Cat I hope you see 133 too!! I'm just hoping I'm down a full lb. I ate a little too much last night but hopefully those extra steps will help with that :) I'll know in the morning I guess, lol

CatR
08-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi to you both.

We all made our goals this month. :carrot: So let's do it again in August. :D

sassybiscuit
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I forgot to link the new thread for August. OOOPS!

Come and see the August thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147818