Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #1  

Default almond as a source of proteins enough ?

Is eating almond as a source of proteins enough ? How much a day should I eat given it's mostly my only source of proteins right now.
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

According to the menu planner I use, almonds have 836 calories per cup, with 28 grams of protein and 74 grams of fat. You would need to eat 2 cups to get a reasonable amount of daily protein for 1670 calories and about twice the fat that a regular eating plan would recommend.

Is there a reason why you are relying on only almonds for protein?

Last edited by CatR; 07-06-2008 at 05:44 PM.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

No, it's not. What other limitations do you have? Maybe we could help you by suggesting other foods.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

There are so many whole, natural foods that are great sources of protein. I am interested in what the answers to the questions above are, so that more suggestions can be made!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatR View Post
According to the menu planner I use, almonds have 836 calories per cup, with 28 grams of protein and 74 grams of fat. You would need to eat 2 cups to get a reasonable amount of daily protein for 1670 calories and about twice the fat that a regular eating plan would recommend.

Is there a reason why you are relying on only almonds for protein?
And if you were eating 2 cups of almonds at 1670 calories, there wouldn't be much room (calorie wise) to eat anything else. And obviously, that's just not an option.

So yes, please, give us a little more info so that we can make some more suggestions.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #6  

Oh..didn't know there was this much calories in those. I generally do not eat a lot of them though....it's just that i dont eat red meat at all..i seldom eat fish (read maybe once every two weeks or once a week) or chicken.

the only thing other than that which i eat beside nuts and those two items above are : cow milk, soy milk, tofu sausage which of course i dont eat everyday. i dont think i eat much other things beside that which have proteins..i dont like to eat whole grain pasta...i just hate them...
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Since you aren't vegetarian or vegan, as long as you eat a variety of foods, you shouldn't need to worry.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Yogurt, eggs, low-fat cheese, beans, lentils, etc. Protein isn't that hard to add to the diet (vegetarian for 26+ years). Nuts HAVE protein, but they also have a lot of FAT. While a few nuts are a great addition to your daily diet, please look to other sources for your daily protein needs. If processed foods aren't taboo for you - MSF and Boca and Gardenburger have some great soy-based products with ample protein content.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote