South Beach Diet - Phase I Chick-Check - July 6 - 12

View Full Version : Phase I Chick-Check - July 6 - 12

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Please post you successes, problems and helpful hints in this thread where we can all share. If you are new, feel free to join in - there's lots of support here.

Lulumum
07-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi, I started phase 1 on Wednesday and I'm doing fine with it. Have definitely lost my appetite, though. I'm sitting here trying to force down some fat-free yogurt and can't manage very much. Is this normal on Phase 1? I guess it's a good thing, it just feels so weird to me to not be hungry- I'm usually always hungry!

TwoPillows
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I started yesterday and had a pretty good day. Got a little shaky before lunch and a bit grumpy before dinner. All in all though, much better than the last time I attempted this. I think beans helped, I had hummus for a snack and the taco bake for dinner and I think the good carbs helped.

I've already had some crustless spinach quiche for breakfast and I'm about to take a walk.
:carrot:

greeneyes490
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Lulumum, the same thing happened to me.....I couldn't eat all my snacks because I was just not hungry (sometimes I was a bit on the naeusous side)....it has been two weeks for me and there are days when I am still to full or not hungry to eat everything....not sure if it is normal or not but i am sure we can't be the only ones :).....

greeneyes490
07-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Well I weighed in this morning to see how much i lost in phase 1 totalled...I lose 6.5 lbs the first week and only 2 lbs the second week.....which has me very worried since I didn't cheat at all and now I am wondering what will happen when i introduce carbs this week if i only lost 2 lbs last week without carbs....I am affraid my weight loss with come to a stand still or gain now.....I guess the next couple of weeks will be critical for me to know what my body is going to do......

pookynutt
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
been doing good and haven't cheated. Seems like my weight loss has slowed down or stalled altogether. Lost about 6-7 punds altogether. i am going to try to be patient and wait til the end of the phase (thursday am) to see what happens. I don't mind phase 1 just want to lose the weight!!!!

murphmitch
07-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Greeneyes, your weight loss mirrored mine exactly in Phase I. I continued to lose about 1.5# per week in Phase II, so don't worry. Just take it slow like others advised.

SavarnaRose
07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
It's day 8 of phase 1.5 for me. I'm not sure how much weight I've lost. I just bought a new scale yesterday. I'm pretty sure I had gained some since the last time I was at the dr. and now I'm about 4 pounds lower than that. So a net weight loss of 4 lbs for the last 5 weeks.

I'm doing pretty well. I stayed on plan for the most part. We went to my in-laws for the 4th and they ordered BBQ. I'm sure it was higher in fat than allowed. The sauce was hot rather than sweet, but it may have had sugar in it. I did get ww buns and a bunch of veggies to take with me. I said no to brownies and ice cream :)

Lulumum: I have been feeling very tired and not hungry as well. At first I know it was the lipator. I was taking it at night but I forgot it more than I remembered it, so I switched it to morning with my other meds. It made me soooo tired! I had trouble getting out of bed and would fall asleep or get really sleepy during the day. I stopped it and felt better for a couple of days. The last couple of days I've been tired again, but nothing like the first of the week. My appetite is still off.

Still not exercising like I should be due to the fatigue. I got the Supercharged book and plan to start that asap. I have to get up early to walk here before it gets hot. I just haven't been getting up lol.

Question about the tickers, do I have to redo it every time, or is there a way to just update it?

Have a great week everyone!

Bright Blessings,

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
No need to redo your ticker. Just go to User CP to left on this screen and click on "Update Signature". Scroll down to the ticker code and change the last number in the ##/##/## part. Remember to save.

Here's a demo on mine:
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/slider-but8/lb/206/175/[color=red]194/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Chickies, don't fret small loss or lack of loss in Phase I. The range 8-13 pounds is for folks who were very overweight and had not been dieting before. Phase I is more for ditching cravings - weightloss is a bonus if it happens!

DeeAnnMokhtari
07-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Question: I haven't started yet b/c I am reading the book. I am looking to get started though and was wondering about Starbucks coffee. I get the skinny lattes....so the syrup is splenda sweetened and my milk is fat-free (no whip). Is this okay to continue doing?

Loriann7
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
ok, I was on this before, fell off, keep saying going back on. My son has moved out of hte house, and i have some recipe's for this week to make my venture exciting. So, hhmm, should I count today? all beachy foods, but not according to the rules... all I had in house was bacon (turkey) and v8, so been eating off that all day! :)

OK, so plans for tthe week, all from our boards here, chick pea & feta salad, belgiam waffles (i don't own an iron, so will make them pancakes), meatball caserole, and cola chicken.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
:welcome: DeeAnn. So nice to hear you are reading the book first! Aside from the book, there's lots of good info in the stickies in our FAQ Section.
The coffee sounds just fine. Enjoy!

thunderbegone
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Here I go again. I had a cheat today so I am back on day one of Phase I tomorrow. At least I didn't keep eating bad foods the rest of the day like I would have in the past. I just finished preparing my chicken breasts and grilled tilapia for the next few days. Good luck to everyone!

Belle Mer
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi, I just started Phase 1 today. I've done a spreadsheet for my week's menu planning. I decided to cut down on my visits to the supermarket. It's nearby, and I fell into the habit of not planning any meals and shopping every day. Now I'll go 3X a week mainly to buy fresh veggies. Since I carbed out over the holiday weekend, I'm feeling rather sluggish today, and not very hungry. I ate breakfast very late, and will probably only have a light lunch. I'm on track and very determined.

nullgal
07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
doing your meals for the whole week sounds like a great idea. i use the calendar on my computer to plan dinner, but it hadnt occurred to me to use it for other meals too. :D i had a small chocolate chip cookie last night when i was consoling my niece. (shes sixteen and her first real boyfriend just broke up with her, OVER THE PHONE! while she was ON VACATION!) ugh. this would be day seven of week one, but i guess i have to start over. thats okay though, i think ive been doing really well. i definitely noticed that i am not craving carbs like i used to. i can walk through the mall food court and not have to stop and get something. and ive really gotten into the ricotta cremes as dessert. i flavor the cheese with the Splenda Flavor blends and they are awesome, so, i think thats helping. im excited about this week and know i will do well. everyone sounds like they are right on track!

knittwhit
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Good morning. I am new to this forum. I did SBD a few years back and had pretty good success with it. Over the past 2 years I have slacked off and got swept out to the sea of old bad eating habits. I have gained back everything I lost +21 lbs and am pretty disgusted with myself for allowing it to happen. As I approach my 50th birthday with hypertension and the risk of diabetes, I know I need to make some serious lifestyle changes. Being a believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I am returning to what worked well for me before. I am a lifetime weight watcher but don't like the flex plan and the Core plan is not as flexible as SBD. I look forward to getting to know people here and the support and guidance I know is on a board like this.

RenRen
07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I made it through my first full week on Phase One!!!:carrot:

I feel like such a dork to be so excited, but I'm quite proud to have made it through the holiday weekend without cheating.

Since my energy is up, I added exercise back into the mix yesterday.

Today, I got my first, "Did you do something different with your hair?" comment from a coworker. Since my hair is the same, that must mean he noticed something is different, right? Perhaps that I'm missing 10lbs? :D

thunderbegone
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
RenRen, 10 lbs in a week! That is amazing. Congrats on getting through week 1 , especially with it including a holiday weekend. I wasn't as disciplined as you and have to start over today :(

Btr8898
07-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum although I've been on 3 Fat chicks many times over the last few years. I started SBD a week ago and I'm so frustrated and disappointed. I've only lost 2 1/2 pounds. :cry: I didn't even cheat on the holiday - which was also dh's b-day and the day after which was ds's b-day. I was so proud of myself and now I'm feeling so bummed. I'm going to keep at it though. I do feel better so I guess that counts for something. Thanks for listening to my venting.

Terrie

phxsunflower
07-07-2008, 07:43 PM
back to get clean again! DD2's bday is on Friday so will probably mess up phase one for 1 day but..I need to get started or there would be no starting. This time I am writing down everything that goes through the lips it seems I need to start watching the portions and learn what they are. Then if I can't break this stalemate with the scale I am going to be asking for advice.

indigal
07-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Well I'm on day 3, week 2 of phase 1. So far so good. A bit low energy, but nothing I can't work through. I figure my body is just adjusting to the fact I lost 10 lbs in the first week.... I find myself not hungry for snacks...I have to make myself get something... Have a good day!

SAnativegirl
07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm starting Phase 1 today. I was on it in January and lost about 10 lbs. I am unemployed so have lots of time. I slept in and missed breakfast. Lunch was a salad with some turkey and 1/2 cup beans. I'm off to grocery store. DH will eat mostly what I do, except he has to have white rice. He does like whole wheat pastas and breads. And I think he wants to walk in evenings so maybe I'll get 2 walks in!

Belle Mer
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm doing OK so far on Phase 1, but I'm not feeling well, and not very hungry. I think I am not eating enough, but I suppose that's better than binging. :-)

newtothis2
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi All!
Day 2 of Week 2 of Phase 1. Feeling good, no food cravings. I did SB a couple of years ago and lost over 30 lbs, gave up and gained it all back, plus some. Went to WW's and lost almost 40 lbs, stopped going to meetings and gained back 20 lbs. Want to stop this yo-yoing and get back on the weight loss.

So here i am....looking for support to keep going. Looking forward to joining you!

hugs, Pat

Belle Mer
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I had to add: I've got that Phase 1 headache thing going on. Hoping it goes away on day 3! (Tomorrow.) And my poor dog wants to know where the Cheerios went, LOL. Hubby ate them all before his business trip in anticipation of my P1. The dog doesn't understand what happened. :-)

phxsunflower
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
well made it through day 2. I think I need to drink more water. will try and get it all in tomorrow.

Cennet
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Day 3 for me on the diet, began on Monday along with my boyfriend. So far so good, i've dropped 3 pounds. Luckily i'm not craving breads or anything so far. I love the foods on this diet, it's not hard at all. Hopefully my weight loss continues!

Lulumum
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, I've finished week 1 on phase 1, so I was excited to come on here this morning and change my ticker- I'm down 7lbs! That is a great motivator for me to keep going :).
My headachiness from the first few days has gone and I feel good. I have found I need to drink a lot more water than I do normally, I seem to be thirsty all the time, but I figure that's a good thing, especially in the Summer. I have not been hungry the entire week I have been doing this, and have also been craving-free, so it has actually been easier to stay on plan than I imagined. Yay!

Belle Mer
07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
My headache is gone, yay!

I just got South Beach Taste of Summer Cookbook, and the receipes look great. I also got the workout DVD. Haven't tried it yet.

I'm waiting for delivery of: Against The Grain: 150 Good Carb Mediterranean Recipes, by Diane Kochilas. This cookbook is supposed to use SBD guidelines for its Mediterranean recipes.

My Phase 1 is going pretty well, except that for some reason I'm not very hungry and probably not eating enough food, which is strange for me.

I have that horrible craving for sweets. It will pass, I know. It did the last time I did SBD. Today I had to steer myself away from all those berries at Whole Foods. Only 10 more days until I can eat berries!!

Hope everyone has a good day.

pookynutt
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Final "official day" of phase 1 today. I was looking forward to moving to phase 2, but my weight loss has totally stalled. I have lost 7 lbs, but that was all mostly week one. I know that the objective of phase 1 is supposed to be mostly to cure cravings, but I am bummed. the scale hasn't moved in almost a week! I am terrified to move into phase 2. i'm not losing now, how can i in phase 2?!

dasmith2
07-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I did great until Mon. We went to the beach(i packed my salad) but I was so hungry (because I skipped breakfast-no no) and had half a sandwich and chips. It seemed to go down from there. So today starts another week of phase 1. I was feeling a lot better too :-)

grneyedmustang
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm back on Phase I as of today. I went on a cruise and hung out in LA and it was a SB disaster. I'm not touching the scale for two weeks because I don't want to see the damage! I tried to keep in mind some of the principles (tried to stay away from bread and load up on the veggies) so maybe I didn't blow it too bad.

Today's breakfast was yogurt and V8. Snack was roasted almonds. Lunch is chicken and veggie stir fry. Dinner will be crab legs, sauteed spinach, and steamed cauliflower. Second snack is jello. Shooting for 45 minutes of cardio.

newtothis2
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey all!
Doing well, on day 4 of week 2 of P1. No cravings, but i miss my fruit! I've lost about 6.5 lbs since i started. I've not been hungry either. Looking forward to moving on to P2

tommysgirl18
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
hello ladies,

me and my hubby (yes I got him to do this with me!) started South Beach on Tuesday. we have both already lost 4 pounds.....so we are doing great!

I am still flying by the seat of my pants on some things, so I am in need of the recipes on here.

I have been wanting to make that taco bake, so maybe for dinner tomorrow I will make it.

I just have a question about it, can you make it without some of the things in it? we don't have any mushrooms here at home so I was wondering if we can still make it?

thanks ladies!

cottagebythesea
07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
WELCOME, to all you Newbies!

tommysgirl, you can leave out or even add anything you'd like to the taco bake. I don't like regular refried beans, so I mash up black beans instead. I like to add baby spinach leaves, shredded carrots (Phase 2), and sometimes I'll add some sauteed zucchini if I happen to have some on hand. It's hard to go wrong with this recipe. :)

tommysgirl18
07-11-2008, 01:39 AM
cottagebythesea~ thanks for that! I will have to try that soon!

nullgal
07-11-2008, 02:24 AM
Everything was going really well for me until today. When I realized I was losing a baby. They call it "early miscarriage" and its "very common" and I am not to be alarmed, apparantly. So, I turned to food and basically ate an entire pizza and a Brownie Earthquake from DQ. Of course, that pleasure was fleeting at best and didn't help at all. If anything, this has made me realize how serious it is for me to get my weight under control. It is an incredibly contributing factor in my disease (PCOS) and I will probably see no relief from that until I take responsibility for my eating. Tomorrow is a new day on many fronts and I am looking forward to starting over.

cottagebythesea
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
nullgal, I'm sorry to hear your sad news! How are you doing, are you OK? :hug:

Belle Mer
07-11-2008, 07:58 AM
nullgal: I'm so sorry about your news. I'll pray for you. I wish you well.

nullgal
07-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm doing okay. Thanks for the prayers, they are very appreciated. I'm having one of those "this is the first day of the rest of your life" moments, I think. So, while I'm still sad, I'm looking towards the future.

Ruthxxx
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Just read this now, Nullgal, and admire your resilience. A big hug from the Cyber Granny!

EofAZ
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Nullgal, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, that is a tough one.

tommysgirl18
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
nullgal~ I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

RenRen
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm so sorry nullgal.

Schmoodle
07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
:hug: nullgal, I am so sorry for your loss.
Your reaction is very understandable but I am so glad you are hanging in there with the plan and are finding motivation for the future.

nullgal
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Thank you, everyone. :) It helps that I have a toddler who won't let me slow down for anything. You have all been wonderful, thank you so much!

WhiteRabbit
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I just restarted yesterday. I did SB 4 years ago after having my son. I weighed about 200 pounds, and after successfully following SB I lost 50 pounds, and kept it off. For the last year or so, I have bounced between 148 - 156. I had lipo, and while I did not lose a ton of body weight, I look better - except the belly. SO...here I am again. I know I can afford to lose more weight, so let's see what I can do. I just had 3 weeks in Germany, full of lovely carbs (lots of beer and bread and cakes!).

I am officially posting my current weight (as of yesterday morning when I did my first weigh in) at 154 pounds. I would like to get down to 140, but lower is even better!! :carrot:

Yesterday went well, and today even better. Last night I made the Moroccan Lemon Chicken recipe from the newest SB book. It was really good! I supplemented with a chickpea and radish salad, and steamed cauliflower. I *think* I messed up having the radishes, but they were just a sprinkling in the salad itself, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Anyway, I'm glad I found you all! :)

cottagebythesea
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
We're happy to have you back on The Beach, WhiteRabbit. Have you checked the latest revised foods list? The most recent lists are in our FAQ section, and radishes are just fine for Phase 1. :)

newtothis2
07-12-2008, 09:16 AM
nullgal, sorry to hear about your loss, glad to hear you are looking toward the future. Sending postive energy your way!

love the support here! i might extend my P1 for another week. DD has started and will be starting wk 2 of P1. We don't really have anything that is not beachy in the house, so don't want to tempt her. I also had a day that was not P1 this week, went out to dinner with a friend and had a baked potato and white dinner roll. I haven't had any cravings and tho my weight was up the next day is back down now.

hope everyone has a great weekend

indigal
07-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Well it's the end of my phase 1 ...tomorrow I'll fix oatmeal for breakfast to introduce grain. I'm interested to see how I did on the scales this week. I started weight-lifting and yoga to build muscle... so I'm not expecting as great a loss number wise as my first week. I had my before pix taken today... I nearly cried... but then that's what I'm here for., to do something about it! Have a great weekend everybody!