South Beach Diet - Weekend Beachin'

View Full Version : Weekend Beachin'

cottagebythesea
07-05-2008, 05:51 AM
:coffee2: I don't think I got more than 2 hours sleep last night. It was most likely a combination of too many Cosmos, too much coffee, and thinking about Cindy's family leaving on their trip to Africa today.

It's looking dark and gloomy, and it's going to rain all day. We had showers off and on yesterday, but that didn't stop us from having our cookout. But the highlight of the day was that we stumbled upon the perfect sectional sofa that we had been searching for for months for the sunporch! And because it was the floor model and the last one in stock, we got a steal on it. So it was a good day despite the rain and no fireworks.

Today is Dustin's birthday, so they're coming back over this afternoon to help eat all the leftovers from yesterday. Monica and Carley may come back out again, too. Maybe the sun will come out later so the kids can swim, they were pretty disappointed yesterday.

Indigal, how is your friend doing? She must be in excrusiating pain! I hope she'll be alright!

Nessa, how was your trip to The Green Dragon? What all did you buy?

Ruthxxx
07-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Cottage, no cosmos here except for a few seedlings in the garden. :lol: Your new furniture sounds lovely. Enjoy!

I was DD last night so sipped diet gingerale while the rest of the crew swilled bubbly and watched the fireworks. It was balmy night with a great show, lots of laughter and nobody fell overboard this year! I was home by eleven and definitely ready for bed.

Today is niece Anne's wedding day which will be an extremely low-key affair. It should be fun, however, with just immediate family and a simple meal. There will be a big blow-out party later on.

I hope your Saturday is a good one this long weekend.

indigal
07-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Hello! My friend is hanging in there...the Novocaine that was given around the (scorpion) sting sites are wearing off. I'm taking her for more injections in a few hours...
I went slightly off plan having a cup of tea with buffalo milk... not bad... I smelled pancakes being made and became nauseous...not at all tempted,...

Cottage, good you'll have help with leftovers!

Have a beachy day folks! (And send your extra rain this way! )

indigal
07-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Hey Ruth! Sounds like you had fun yesterday. Have a nice day! kitty

CyndiM
07-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Good morning :coffee2:

Cottage - Sounds like a rough night, hope the morning is better. If it's rainy it might just be a nap day ;)

Ruth - Sounds like a lovely evening. Is this the wedding that you pulled together? Hope the weather is agreeable and everyone has a lovely day.

Kitty- Hope your friend is feeling a bit better. Eek! A friend of ours and her partner spent several months in a community in India last winter and I think he got bit by something while there too. Guess I won't whine about my mosquito bites!

Just a normal weekend planned here. There will be errands today, some lawn mowing, garden work (have to deal with the plants that are not collards! wonder what they are), laundry, maybe a little hammock time. Monday we hope to do that boat trip that got rained out a few weeks ago.

Have a good weekend everyone!

ladybugnessa
07-05-2008, 07:45 AM
morning
my fingers are puffy i ate ribs and corn last night and 2 bites of whoopie pie..

and drank jazzberry wine.... and i am so paying for it this morning.

my plans today include aqua threat, laps, hit walmart for dog food....
we have a party at my boss's house tonite...

femmecreole
07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Cottage, hope you can get some rest today after your sleepless night!

Ruth, have fun at the wedding.

Indi, hope your friend is feeling better soon. What does buffalo milk taste like?

Cyndi, have fun with the errands and gardening. I need to do some serious weed pulling, but looks like we are in for more rain today...great, more weeds.

Not sure what we are doing today. May go in to New Orleans, or ride to Baton Rouge "the long way" through a couple of little towns along the bayou and find some place neat to eat. Yesterday was very low key after the wild concert night on the 3rd. We just grilled some shrimp and puttered around here.

** Morning Nessa..we were posting at the same time! Have fun today and hope you recover from the wine...just push that water. I've never heard of a jazzberry. I spent yesterday recovering from mojitos I drank at the concert and the tons of water I drank really helped. (still have "white bird" playing in my head!)

Natalie'sMom
07-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Good morning all! We had a great party last night -- and I think it must have worn out the baby as it is 7 AM and she is still sleeping!! Natalie is up though and has an AWFUL cough! Poor baby! So we might have to just take it easy tonight.; We have another party tonight but I don't think we can take her around the other kids being as sick as she is.

It sounds like everyone has very festive evenings!

Natalie just said to me, "I want to go to the beach!!" Hmmm....how do I explain that we live in KANSAS to her? Ha, ha! Anyway, if she's better tomorrow there is a big pool party at our pool and maybe that will be beachy enough for her! Ha!

Have a wonderful Saturday!

indigal
07-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Hey, My friend is much better, she's sedated and can hopefully slleep til the pain wears off.

I roasted a chicken for dinner, of course being phase 1 ,I'll only have breast. So invited a friend over who likes dark meat. So dinner and a movie is my plan.

Creole~ Buffalo milk is very rich and creamy tasting... high fat content. I think they are beautiful creatures... (google image indian water buffalo).

Have a great day everybody!

Barb0522
07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I am a bit sore from all the lifting yesterday but it feels so good to have the retaining wall done and all the lava rock in place. The pool looks really good and Brian and I had a good time swimming last night. We scrubbed down the tile while we swam so we had fun and accomplished something. Brian is texting his dad now to ask if he is picking him up in 2 hours. Robert was so nasty last time I asked that I just don't want to even ask him.

Today I need to tackle the boxes in my bedroom so I can have things looking good before the maid service comes on Monday. It's already hot outside. I might weedwack later but I think I'll let mowing wait until tomorrow. I REALLY need to find someone to do the yardwork. I can afford the money a lot easier than I can afford the time.

Dinner was good last night. I made the Spicy BBQ Shrimp out of the Taste of Summer cookbook and served it with lots of broccoli. I think today calls for burgers on the grill but I'll decide later.

hmacneil6
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Morning ladies!!! Happy Saturday!

Cottage - Sorry to hear that there were no fireworks, but happy to hear you found your sectional. Don't you love it when you have a "holy grail" something and you find it....It's like nirvana.

Ruth - "nobody fell overboard this year" Last year somene fell overboard!?!? Too funny. Have a lovely day at the wedding.

Indigal - Here's to hoping your friend feels better quickly!

Cyndi - Hope you had a nice time yesterday. May today be productive and fulfilling.

Nessa - Drink lots of water!! Feel better :)

Cat - Have a restful day today!

Nat's Mom - I hope your daughter feels better. Hopefully you can make it to the pool.

Barb - Isn't it funny that we all clean before the cleaning lady comes? Hope you enjoy your burgers tonight.

Me - I'm at the USO this morning. Things started slow and then we got a large group headed to Guam. (Scrambled Eggs for Everyone!). Today is about cleaning up. I'm also hoping to hit a Payless Shoestore....it's bogo time! Tonight we're going to friends for dinner, and I think we're going to start watching the Bachelorette tonight. Should be fun.
Have a great Saturday, Ladies!!
ENJOY!!!

Fat Melanie
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
How was everyone's 4th of July (or Friday, for non-Americans)? My best friend came to stay the night yesterday (she will be here all weekend) and my son's been having a blast with his 'Aunt Jessie'. She and I walked down the road, to where BF's older friend lives, because those two have a thing for eachother currently (bit of an age difference, 22 and 37 but he's hot! Short, but hot. She's short too so, it's cool.) So I timed the walk, and from there and back it was about 15 minutes.

Anyhow after all of that, we planned on making turkey burgers.

Then my mother showed up, a bit tipsy, with bud light lime (she claimed she bought it for me). Then, BF's brother shows up as well, so we had a mini- "party" going on. I made turkey burgers and we all listened to music and had a good time. We made baby boy dance to Depeche Mode and Amy Winehouse. I drank 90% of one beer, my mother drank the rest (I really had no desire to drink, which was a good thing) and my BF ended up having to drive her home, in her car, and his brother had to follow behind to take him back to the house. I mean, that woman was trashed! She's a correctional officer by profession, and an alcoholic on her days off. She likes to influence me to drink but I was really proud when I didn't.

It was pretty late at night then, and you'd think I would have decided to not do my exercise. And at first I was like, I could do 15 more minutes and then I would have my 30 minutes for the day (which is my exercise goal), but then I was like, nah, I could just do 2 hours tomorrow... but then I was like, no, I've said things like that before and tomorrow became the next day, and the next.... enough is enough, time for a real change, I'm doing this.

So, I got my big booty up and turned on the music and started jogging and marching in place. 15 minutes turned to 30 minutes, I started feeling GOOOOOOD, so I kept up. 1 hour and 15 minutes later, I had done cardio AND got some strengthening moves with the dumbbell in. I felt quite accomplished!

I'm not doing phase 1 right now, not until the 13th because I'll have shopped by then, but I'm trying to stay away from sugars and most bad carbs for the time being. Last night though, I ate rolls with my turkey burger. As I ate them, I thought to myself, these cheap white rolls don't even TASTE appetising, the burger would have been just as good wrapped in lettuce (or even better, a whole grain bun). The bun is merely a means of containing the burger, nothing more. Since I'm cutting back on the no-no stuff, I think when I do start phase 1 again, the transition will be that much easier.

I hope you all had a good Independence day and a wonderful Friday.

Nielsen Ratings paid me $30 just to fill out a tv diary, they sent real cash, not a check! And I got $10 from BF, so tomorrow when mommy & me & ds & bff go to visit my grandparents, I'm gonna go by Walmart and get some stuff on those $5 sales, (in smaller sizes) and hang that in my closet for motivation. Booty shorts here I come!

Pearlrose
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Good morning Chickies!!

We are about ready to leave so don't have time for personals this morning, just wanted to say enjoy the weekend

Ruthxxx
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
:wave: on my way to the shower!

Last year somebody did fall off the boat. It may have been a push because the guy was a jerk and deserved it! He was a Canadian, not an American, so it wasn't an international incident. He sobered up quite quickly and swam to the shore. He wasn't there this year.

Of course you have to tidy up before the cleaning person! How else can he/she clean.

My front garden is looking much tidier, the four pies I'd forgotten about baking are now at the BBQ at the park, I gave my neighbour a big bouquet for her Open House tomorrow and it's now time to figure out something to wear to this wedding. Can you tell I'm really not looking forward to it? At least it'll be an early night and I will be very abstemious with the wine.

Enjoy your Saturday afternoon.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Good morning! :coffee: I managed six hours of sleep and am feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this sunny Sunday morning. We are off to Church at 8:30 and then to the city for dog obedience at noon. From the weather forecast, I may be turning on the AC before I leave. We finally have summer. :sunny:

The wedding was fine although pretty low key. The groom is definitely eye-candy and has this Aussie accent on top of it. I did indulge in one glass of champagne for the toasts but was a "good girl" otherwise - no sweets or table dancing.

I plan to goof off this afternoon with some reading and hand sewing on the deck or porch. Tomorrow is "Judgement Day" for the Fair schoolwork entries and we are starting at 7 AM. After that I get to do lists of winners and the display and can then relax until after the Fair - about that part anyhow! :cb:

Hope you have a gloriously sunny Sunday. :cofdate:

cottagebythesea
07-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Good morning, Ruth, and others to come. Our day isn't sunny, in fact it's a pea-soup fog! We may see the sun later, but it's doubtful. I'm headed into the city, too, to see "Les Miz", as my son-in-law nabbed me some free tickets. It helps that he's the musical director, I get to see a lot of great shows for free that way. ;) I'm going to stay the night with them and take the train home tomorrow. I'd stay longer, but tomorrow is Jake's birthday and we have plans to go out for dinner to celebrate.

I'm happy to hear that you had a pleasant afternoon for the wedding, Ruth. An Aussie accent gets me everytime!

CyndiM
07-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Good morning Ruth. Too bad there are no table dancing pics ;)

hmacneil - Hope you had successful shoe shopping! I haven't been to a payless in years, we don't have any around here.

Melanie - you've become an exercising fiend! It's great that you're able to do all that without any soreness after. You must have stayed in pretty good shape. Bet you will see results soon.

Indigal - How is your friend doing? There is a farm not too far from here the makes water buffalo mozzarella. We ate a lot of it last year with tomatoes and basil. It's incredibly yummy & rich but we probably won't see it this year.

Natalies Mom - Did you find a suitable beach substitute?

Cat - that concert sound fabulous, would have loved to see that :)

Nessa - Are you fully recovered? I am such a light weight now that one glass of wine makes me silly. Not like the old days ;)

:wave: Barb, Pearl, Kim and anyone else I missed!

Well I've managed to turn a long relaxing three day weekend into one day to get all my chores done. Oops! Yesterday we ended up going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods with lunch out at one of our favorite restaurants. By the time we got home and put everything away there was time for a walk and then dinner. So today's list now includes laundry (already started), gardening, house cleaning, and some cooking/salad making for the week. Plus exercise - no hammock for me! Tomorrow is an extra day off for the hoped for boat trip, so something to look forward to!

Have a good day

CyndiM
07-06-2008, 07:09 AM
:wave: Hi Cottage. Have a wonderful time at the show!

indigal
07-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Hello it's beautiful here today in rural India, sunny, breezy, pleasant temperature. I love the breeze, but it blows the monsoon clouds away... we are desperate for the rains... Mumbai is getting flooded, and we see nothing here!

My friend is better. She wasn't sure that she would ever see an end to the pain... now there is the light at the end of the rainbow...

My car has a flat so I need to take care of it. Have a terrific day everybody!
Oh yeah... I did my official weigh in this morning and the 10 lb loss held so it's official! Woohoo! ( I updated my ticker Friday because I was so excited! ) I love phase 1!

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 07:21 AM
:wave: at Kitty who is already in Sunday evening! Glad to hear your friend is improving.
:cheer: on the ten pounds. That's impressive!

femmecreole
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Good Sunday morning!!!

Had a fun day yesterday to round out the holiday weekend. (my husband works on Sundays, so our weekend stops on Saturday)

We drove to Baton Rouge "the long way" through some neat little "bayou towns". (http://www.kodakgallery.com/femmecreole/main/july_5th_2008?)Then went out to eat. Had some wonderful grilled salmon with horseradish/dill sauce on top. I think it was mayo based, but would be great with Greek yogurt as well. Also had steamed vegs which I dipped in the sauce. Will have to remember that one.

then we went to target to get him a new alarm clock...got one with a cd player in it. then we came home.

A couple of hours later he said "I'm taking you out". So we went to a local restaurant that has a bar and got a drink and I got some sushi (little order!). Then we went to another place that had a guy setting up to play music out in the patio. He was really good, so we sat there for a couple of hours and really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun.

Barb0522
07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm glad your friend is better, Kitty.

Robert did pick up Brian yesterday. I asked him if I should bring some of his stuff when I came to get Brian. He wouldn't answer. Just kept saying things like I'm sorry. So I only brought 9 high powered rocket pieces and a bag of his old paperwork. Then he refused to take them or talk to me. Brian asked him and it sounds like he might take them today so I'll leave them in the trunk. If he had to go straight to work and didn't have time, he should have just said so. He's also mad at me because I won't let him come to Brian's birthday party at the house. Even Brian knows that won't work.

I got through most of the stuff in the boxes but still have more to do. I started in on trying to edge with the weekwacker and my nice neighbor from across the street came over with his single edge metal blade one and it it for me so it will be easier for me to keep up with. That was so nice! And gave me time to mow too.

Today is church, dropping off Brian, grocery shopping, and finishing clearing surfaces.

hmacneil6
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Morning Ladies! Happy Sunday!
Ruth - Glad to hear that the wedding was a success and the groom w/ his accent was such eye candy. Serious.....two things get me almost every time, accents and uniforms. If you ever put them together my dh better watch out! ;)

Cottage - Les Mis is my very favorite stage show ever! I hope you enjoy it. Have a great night with your family.

Cyndi - I only made it to one Payless...and they didn't have what I was looking for on sale. Maybe I can get to a few others before the day is out. At least your weekend was productive. Enjoy your chores today...and if you can, reward yourself for dinner tonight.

Indigal - Glad to hear that your friend is better. Bummer that your tire is flat. Hopefully this week will be better than last.

Cat - Sounds like you had a wonderful time yesterday. May today be just as lovely. FYI in either the June or July edition of Cooking Light there is a great reicpe for grilled salmon w/ a tangy cucumber sauce (that includes dill and horseradish). We had it for dinner this week and it was really tasty!

Barb - sorry things are so tough w/ the ex. Hopefully he'll start to figure it all out and make it easier not only on Brian but on you too. May you find what you're looking for at the Grocery store.

Me - Headed to church this morning and then we're going to lunch and to play Frisbee golf w/ friends from church. After I shared with them last week that we had played, Mike (my friend's dh) said that he had played a lot and even had his own discs. So we decided to go again this week. I'm really looking forward to it. Afterwards it's too the grocery store for me. Don't know what we're doing for dinner but dh really wants to go out. We'll see......
Have a lovely Sunday, Ladies!
ENJOY!!!!

Schmoodle
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I spent the last two days getting things in shape around the house. I feel much better now that it's tidy, groceries are bought, laundry's caught up, and I did some cooking for the week. Yesterday I tried a different farmer's market than I usually visit, and I think I'll be going to the new one in the future, it was much better. I stocked up on zukes, baby kale, and string beans, and made a taco bake, stuffed zukes, Nessa bars, and hardboiled some eggs, so I think I'm set for the week. I have been on-plan but stalling out on weight loss, so I'm going to track things a little more closely for a while. I may go back to calorie counting, if I get motivated, but we'll see. And try to get back into my exercise routine, which is probably the real issue here...

We had a soggy 4th, so just went to my Mom's for pizza night, no fireworks. We went to the movie on the green last night, but got rained out just before the end, so we don't know how the Love Bug turned out!

Today is office and paperwork day. Of course, as soon as Mr. Fix-it left on Wednesday, my desktop crashed, I started having trouble with my phone line, and my vacuum broke. I've got to see if I can fix things. DD has a party this afternoon, otherwise quiet around here, hopefully.

Kitty, scorpion bites! Yikes!
Ruth, I think your niece has exactly the right idea about weddings. I love low key garden weddings. Sounds like it was lovely and glad to hear you were well-behaved. "judgement day", oooh sounds ominous.
cottage, much jealousy here, I love Les Mis.

Okay, I feel my motivation leaking away, so I'd better get to it. Have a great Sunday chicks. Only five more days until Friday!

hmacneil6
07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Schmoo - Apparently I just missed you. Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Hopefully the feelings will continue through this week. Good luck getting things done today!
ENJOY!

Schmoodle
07-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks hmac! Frisbee golf sounds fun, and hope you found the shoes you are looking for. Shoes are very important! Check my closet.

Poor DH, just got an email that upon reaching Sasebo (two day trip), he was pulled to cover a medical emergency on another ship and had to turn around and head for Norway.

Pearlrose
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Good morning Chickies,

Just got finished working out, feel great but need to head to the shower! We went to church last evening so we have the entire day free.

Sounds like everyone has great plans, it has definitely been a nice 3 day weekend for me and my family.

Have a great Sunday

ladybugnessa
07-06-2008, 12:29 PM
happy sunday gals

got up went to the gym
ran some errands
now home alone DH went racing and took girl child... they won't be home till after DINNER!

have a great day everyone.

Loriann7
07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi all. What a couple weeks! Where do I begin. Alright, I wont bore you with the details. The readers digest version.

First, my son, who's not been home really, came home Tue. night to do his laundry and shower. He was headed out at 11 pm. I have told him time and again not to bother coming home, so he doesn't wake me up (little does he know I hardly sleep wehn I know he's out like that.) Well, I forgot to say something, and in he came at 3 am. so I called him from work the next day to tell him he was coming into town with me the next day to look for work. Mind you, he's been out of college for two months, not ONE application! GGRRr. His response was to be gone when I arrived home.

Somethings at work also developed. The annual reports showed a huge loss, so the cpa's were coming in and checking things over, giving me, the inside bookkeeper, an uneasy feeling. So I sent out a few more resume's. Thursday came and one of them proved fruitful. I have an interview on Monday. And, my uneasy feeling... proved right. I was informed they were eliminating two positions... mine and one other. I had that "sinking" feeling for all of ten seconds... it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders! Illegal things are happening there that I didn't like.

So, on my way home, I picked up my son to talk with him about straightening up, esp. now. well, he informed me that he was moving out. He's moving in with a friend and his friends mother. NOT a good situation, but since he wasn't pulling his weight around the house, and having his hand out whenever he wanted money... I am sort of relieved he's going. I think he needs a good wake up call! Life isn't a hand out!

he's taken a few things, but I still can't use that room, his furniture is still in it. I told him I wanted it out by the week end, but it's still here. sigh.

So, with that said, it's just me, and i need to figure some budget meals :).

I will do personals when things calm down!