Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

Height: 5'4"

Default anyone else have problems with sodium??

I had a high sodium meal today and am now up 2 lbs this morning from yesterday. i knew I would be up because after trying to flush my system with water, I was still not peeing as much as I should. And sure enough this morning the scale was UP! Its so frustrating!!

Anyone else have these problems?? Even all of my food was under 2200mg for the day but i guess my body is super sensitive.
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #2  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Sodium is a problem for me too. Any time I go above 2500 I get bloated and feel like a whale... even my fingers get puffy. The scale usually goes up about 1-2 pounds (sometimes more if my sodium intake was over 3000). I definitely hate the feeling. After a day or two of clean eating, the bloating goes away.

Last edited by Ija; 07-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I can def tell when I've had too much the day before ... when I wake up in the morning I have a hard time making a fist ... my fingers get all puffy and swollen.

And lately I've been all over the place with my weight, so I suspect I'm getting more sodium than is really logged. I need to sit down with my log and see what's going on!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #4  
FB

Oh dear gawd yes, yes and YES.

I'm not one to worry much about water weight fluctuations, but a day of too much sodium can send my weight skyrocketing by 4-5 pounds which honestly is sometimes discouraging although I know that it's just water.

In the last 10 days I've had 6 with over 3000 mg of sodium. Awful. In the last 10 days my weight has also been unpredictable.

My culprits are fairly innocent things that add up quickly, I love spices and condiments, particularly soy sauce, I drink diet energy drinks which are loaded with sodium, I eat those convenient little steam fresh veggie bags which are also sodium laden, canned tuna - so on and so forth.

Easy enough to change. Blah. I just love salty stuff, it's not even fast food or deli meat. No fair.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #5  
Slow and sure chick

My sympathies.

I've been on a blood pressure med that is also a water pill for many years, and in the last month the MD had to add another water pill on top of that. Salt sensitivity is a beeyatch.

I'm at the point that my only valid weight is 7 days after my period starts, first thing in the morning, after voiding, if I haven't had salt foods in the previous 3 days.

ARGH!!!
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #6  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

FB, I have the same problem. I've pretty much eliminated stuff like highly processed products, all deli meats, canned items (except for beans) and most high-sodium condiments, yet still I tread on the upper limit of healthy sodium intake. I already reached 2000 today thanks to some cottage cheese and tomato soup.

Last edited by Ija; 07-03-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have an unusual relationship with sodium.

I have mild high blood pressure, but sodium doesn't seem to raise my blood pressure. I tend to have very low blood levels of sodium, and even have on occasion dipped into dangerously low levels. In fact, before I have any surgery, I have to have my sodium levels checked, because they do run so low. I once had to take sodium supplements before an operation to remove a suspicious mass in my breast (thanfully, turning out to be scar tissue from an old car accident injury), as low sodium levels can be very dangerous, especially during surgery. If your sodium levels are too low, you will go into cardiac arrest. My doctor says because it is so rare (given the sodium content of the typical american diet), I have to remember to ask to have my sodium checked before any surgery, because most doctors aren't going to think to consider it a problem.

My sodium levels are so low, probably because blood pressure medications tend to be sodium-depleting (which is usually a good thing), I naturally eat low-salt (raised in a family that only ever put salt on the table during the summer for tomatoes and corn on the cob, and sometimes not even then), I'm not a big fan of processed foods (even less so, now) and I drink a lot of water and other fluids.

So, I'm one of the weird ones, who actually is reminded by their doctor to occasionally eat something salty now and again.

The only food I like that it a bit high in sodium is oriental food, which is nice in that I can still choose foods that are otherwise (except for the sodium) great choices. But I do pay in water retention, especially in the summer (not exactly sure why it's a bigger problem when it's hot, maybe the body tries to retain it's extra moisture "just in case," I'm not sure). Now, I know it's only water retention, but it's still bothersome to see on the scale. I can flush it out in 48 to 72 hours though, so I'm not too concerned.

That being said, I won't eat asian food within the three days before my weigh-in at TOPS meeting on Monday nights. In fact, if I'm going to have asian food, it's usually going to be no later than Wednesday.

Ok, I know that was one of my typical, meandering posts, but I thought someone might find it kind of interesting (if only in a bizarre trivia kind of way).

Last edited by kaplods; 07-03-2008 at 01:53 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Bleh... I ate a salty dinner last night. It was unintentional as I didn't realize it was so salty until I sat down to eat. I have been stuck at 192 for a few weeks and it jumped up to 195 this morning (TOM is nowhere near right now) so I think it had to do with the HUGE amount of salt I ate, and then didn't drink hardly anything after because I went to bed. Now I know though...
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote