South Beach Diet - Natural Peanut Butter

View Full Version : Natural Peanut Butter

nullgal
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Just curious which brands of natural peanut butter ya'll use, if you use it at all. i bought the smuckers brand, and, its okay, but its a little grainy. any input?

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Of all the brands, Smuckers is my least favorite. It's grainy, but has a decent flavor. I guess I just don't like the texture of it. If I buy it off the shelf, I buy Adam's Organic which is smooth and really peanutty.

I tend to get fresh ground nut butters from the health food store (I know that Whole Foods does it, and a slew of other stores). My family prefers almond and cashew butter over peanut butter. The fresh ground isn't grainy at all.

One tip that I've learned while having natural peanut butters is when the oil separates from the peanut butter, it makes it REALLY hard to spread. Store the jar upside down and the problem is eliminated.

Glory87
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
If you live near a Trader Joe's, the store brand is very good and cheap.

Barb0522
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
My grocery store's store brand is really good (Tom Thumb). Just the initial work to stir it up and then stick it in the fridge.

gahundy
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
i have been using skippy natural. it's not grainy and doesn't seperate like most natural peanut butters.

nullgal
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
The grocery store up the street used to have a grinder and you could make it yourself but they stopped a little while ago. They are actually putting in a trader joes a couple miles up the road from me this year! i'm so excited! Thanks for all the tips!

iwmonn
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
gahundy: Double check your peanut butter. I carry Maranatha Natural and Organic brands in the store. We were excited to offer their no-stir options until I looked and saw added sugar. NOT what my customers want in their peanut butter :( So I've discontinued carrying it.

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
When I was a kid, I got a peanut butter maker for Christmas... my parents bought some peanuts in the shell to go along with it (I don't think they were the best quality, they didn't taste so good), and I would shell 'em and put them into this grinder thing, and it was shaped like a peanut man. (A peanut, with arms and legs and a smile, you know, to entertain kids.) And it grinded out kind of grainyish and it tasted really gross. It didn't taste anything like peanut butter, even when we put sugar in it.

I'm gonna try some natural PB, think I'm gonna try Skippy natural as suggested above, I don't have a trader joes or any of those other sort of stores, at least I don't think. When my dad was dating this evil bipolar hippy woman who owned a health food store, we always got free natural almond butters, and it was gooooood!

gahundy
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, the skippy does have some sugar in it, but not much and it is not hfcs, it is actually just sugar. So to me it's not that big a deal.

Npmg
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I think the brand I use is "naturally more"

It's delicious, I have another brand I home right now and I really dislike it.

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
be careful with some of the no-stir natural peanut butters....they contain sugar, which is not SBD compliant....if you're into that kind of thing anyway.

femmecreole
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I started using Smart Balance (the real chunky kind). I really like it cause it doesn't have to go in the fridge. I have to really watch myself with it though. I could eat the whole jar. Actually I'm the only one in my family who eats it and I'll go grab a teaspoon full a couple of times a day.

anewme625
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm using PS2 (powered peanut butter) http://www.bellplantation.com/ .. its really good

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Power butter is really good too....I get it from our local supplement shop. It is expensive though, so be prepared.

Ruthxxx
07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I love PB2 and they ship to Canada. I actually gave away three jars to friends to try out and they loved it too. Time to re-order and not share this time! :lol:

greeneyes490
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I use Kraft Natural and it is pretty good.....I can't complain and yes storing it upside down is a must for quick use of it :).....

Femmecreole...you say you don't have to store your all natural peanut butter in the fridge.....how is that possible???? if there is only peanuts in it , it should have to be stored in the fridge....I am just curious what is in yours that makes it okay to store in the cupboard...I have never heard of that.....anyways just curious :)...

LucyFlicker
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Crazy Richard's
mmm

CyndiM
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
The sale this month was on Once Again so that's what's in our fridge :) I'm a real slob (ruined a shirt I love with a new jar of tahini). I've combined hints - store it upside down over night when you first bring it home. Then store the opened jar in the fridge. No stirring needed at all. My clothes are safe (at least from the PB!).

Cashew butter is on sale this month too so I might have to buy a case. We get 10% off the sale price because we are working members and another 10% if we buy a case. Makes it almost reasonable :)

ladybugnessa
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
If you live near a Trader Joe's, the store brand is very good and cheap.

that's what we use.

ddc
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
You can make your own.

Use dry roasted peanuts. I get the lightly salted ones but you can use unsalted.
Put them in your food processor and process until smooth.
I add a little bit of oil to make it smoother.
Yum :)

BillBlueEyes
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
...you say you don't have to store your all natural peanut butter in the fridge.....how is that possible???I use Whole Foods ground from roasted peanuts. Store on the counter until consumed - maybe a month. Never had a problem.

ladybugnessa
07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I use Kraft Natural and it is pretty good.....I can't complain and yes storing it upside down is a must for quick use of it :).....

Femmecreole...you say you don't have to store your all natural peanut butter in the fridge.....how is that possible???? if there is only peanuts in it , it should have to be stored in the fridge....I am just curious what is in yours that makes it okay to store in the cupboard...I have never heard of that.....anyways just curious :)...

i never store mine in the fridge. upside down in the cupboard....

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Oops, didn't know the skippy PB had sugars in it, so I won't. Saw someone mention Smart balance pB... ooh, I'm gonna get that. I love smart balance buttery spread.

ladybugnessa
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
just remember your peanut butter should have nothing but peanuts and maybe salt in it. NOTHING ELSE... I think smart balance peanut butter has other stuff in it....

and it counts as your nut serving for the day!

Fat Melanie
07-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Okay, I'll leave the smart balance alone. I wonder where in the world I can find a natural peanut butter with nothing else in it!! I don't have a Trader Joe's place that everyone keeps talking about. I wonder if I can find the PB in Food Lion, they just renovated it here in this county and added a huge organic/health food section. Failing that, I'll go to my dad's ex's health food store, I know she has some though I don't relish the visit.

cottagebythesea
07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Melanie, most grocery stores will usually carry the Smucker's brand or Crazy Richard's brand of natural peanut butter.

ladybugnessa
07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
or you can grind peanuts in the food processor and make your own peanut butter

dasmith2
07-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I use my store brand(Kroger) , its nice and creamy and I love it so much more than other pb with added junk.

femmecreole
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Smart Balance DOES have molassis in it along with flax seed oil and a bit of palm oil (http://www.smartbalance.com/PeanutButterFamily.aspx)... But the sugar per serving is just one gram, so I use it. Doesn't cause cravings for me and haven't had any gain from it. I do limit it though and just don't go "nuts" with it. Usually just a couple of teaspoons a day right out of the jar for a "sweet treat".

pamatga
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I prefer the Smuckers brand because there is more oil in it. When you mix that together it has a nicer texture I think. yes, the Smart Balance does have molasses but I find that it is drier and it sticks the roof of my mouth more. I think you can taste the molasses which gives it a stronger flavor.

Reminder: We are allowed 2 TB. per day in lieu of one of our fats. Since, I don't use a lot of cooking oil now, I spray with the different sprays so the fat is almost neglible, so I probably need that fat in it. PB is still one of my favorites. It is so versatile. By itself or added to something else.;)

ddc
07-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't realize how little 2 T of peanut butter is till I actually measured it out.

Not much at all :(

Helped me realize that I'd been eating ***way too much***

murphmitch
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I buy almond butter at my local farmer's market. They also have peanut & cashew butters. It's my new favorite. I like it so much more than peanut butter now.

NewMomIn07
07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I use Adams 100% natural. It's not so expensive as organic and it doesn't have any added sugar or oil. It does get a bit hard by the end of the jar though.

NewMomIn07
07-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I buy almond butter at my local farmer's market. They also have peanut & cashew butters. It's my new favorite. I like it so much more than peanut butter now.

I was disappointed when I tried almond butter. It's very expensive and tastes almost the same as peanut butter. I was hoping for a different taste.

murphmitch
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I was disappointed when I tried almond butter. It's very expensive and tastes almost the same as peanut butter. I was hoping for a different taste.

Boy the stuff I get tastes just like fresh almonds. We love it! The cashew butter was very dry & didn't care for it.