General chatter - Whatcha Reading July '08?

View Full Version : Whatcha Reading July '08?

Smiling_Sara
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
It's that time again. A new month, new books. Let us know what you are reading.

I'm in the middle of "Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe" by Jennie Shortridge.

OnceUponADrive
07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I just finished re-reading Jemima J (I absolutely adore that book) and am now in the process of re-reading Bookends, also by Jane Green. I have a few of her books and I loved all of them, so I'm re-reading them all to hold me over until I have extra money to splurge for the newest ones that have come out. :)

JuliaDH
07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
I just finished The Birthing House and now have started the 100 Mile Diet.

angeline
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Almost done with "Eat, Pray, Love". I tried to read this book about 6 months ago and absolutely hated it. And this time, I must be ready for it because I can't put it down. I dislike the first "book" the most though - the "Eat" section. (that's where i quit reading the first time).

FrouFrou
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I LOVED Jemima J!

Angeline...Ha! You sound like me...I read it and that is the part that had me going...not being able to get thru it. But I did read it all...it wasn't as good to me as I thought it would be and as good as everyone said...my opinion of course.

I finished Judge & Jury by James Patterson and loved it! Of course I am a big James Patterson fan. Currently reading The Pearl by John Steinbeck.

Apple Cheeks
07-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm reading "Dance Upon the Air" by Nora Roberts.

It's like a cross between the movie "Sleeping With The Enemy" with Julia Roberts, and something like "The Craft" or "Charmed."

Insatiable
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm reading Ultrametabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman. I absolutly love it. It hits the nail on the head for me.
Also, reading Firefly lane by Kristin Hannah. I like so far. A good summer read about a good friendship.

tropigal
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm reading Cat in an Indigo Mood by Carole Nelson Douglas. I'm on a mystery bing right now, who knows what next week will bring.

sotypical
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
yesterday I finished 'Needful Things' by Stephen King
and started 'Blaze' by King/Bachman... wont be long before that one is done

LisaMarie71
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
OnceUpon, I've been on a Jane Green kick lately too -- I recently read Babyville and Second Chance, which were both good, easy reads. I'm very very pregnant, so I need easy reads right now, which is why I'm reading nothing but chick lit and those Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich! I also read some Meg Cabot books recently (the last Heather Wells book, Big Boned, and Queen of Babble in the Big City). You really can't get lighter reading than that!! I've run out of books from Bookswim but they're sending more, so I hope I can find enough stuff around the house to read until then.

Oh, I recently read Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin and really liked it. If you like chick lit and haven't tried her yet, you really really should. She also wrote Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof.

snapless
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Just finished Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich.
Re-reading World of Tiers by Philip José Farmer

Zeitgeist
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm working my way through the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm on book 3 now...nice, fun, quick reads!

ANOther
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Now: High Society by Ben Elton (about various people on various sides of the war on drugs: a good read but way grim, not nearly as satirical [Elton is a comedy writer for shows like Black Adder] as the flap copy would have you expect)

Next: either Heart Seizure by Bill Fitzhugh or The Dreyfus Affair by Peter Lefcourt

danemom
07-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I just finish Such a pretty fat by Jen Lancaster. A snarky, sarcastic girl writing about losing weight and getting healthy! I loved it. Next up is either the Beach House by Jane Green or Petite Anglaise by Catherine Sanderson.

mandalinn82
07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Danemom - Jen Lancaster is my new favorite author. I've read Such A Pretty Fat twice already...love it. Going to buy all of her other books.

I also just finished the new Evanovich, as well as the new David Sedaris book.

Glory87
07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I have Such a Pretty Fat on hold at the library! Hopefully, I'll get it soon.

I read 3 books recently:

Darwinia (http://www.amazon.com/Darwinia-Novel-Different-Twentieth-Century/dp/0765319055/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215125107&sr=8-1) - this book had an awesome beginning, a "wtf" middle and an "I'm so bored' ending

Bonk (http://www.amazon.com/Bonk-Curious-Coupling-Science-Sex/dp/0393064646/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215125304&sr=1-1) - Once again, Mary Roach's footnotes are the best things about her books. I liked it more than Spook, but less than Stiff.

Confessions of a Jane Austen addict (http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Austen-Addict-Laurie-Rigler/dp/B000Z4GQ3G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215125354&sr=1-1) - good beginning, but I hope there is a sequel because I thought the ending was kinda meh. Has anyone else read this? I guess it's not too spoilery to say that a modern girl wakes up 200 years ago and gets to live life like a Jane Austen heroine. The part I don't get - the main character - Courtney - wakes up as Jane Mansfield after Jane suffers a head blow after falling off a horse. HOWEVER - at least two people in the story recount coversations with Jane where she tells stories about the future BEFORE our 20th century hero wakes up to inhabit the body.

Color me confused.

murphmitch
07-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Bonk (http://www.amazon.com/Bonk-Curious-Coupling-Science-Sex/dp/0393064646/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215125304&sr=1-1) - Once again, Mary Roach's footnotes are the best things about her books. I liked it more than Spook, but less than Stiff.

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex :o This was a great read. I found myself sharing tidbits with my husband, who kept looking over my shoulder. Too funny! Now I want to read her other books. She is a great writer.

NurseMichelle
07-04-2008, 07:16 AM
I just read "Baby Proof", lisamarie, I liked it really well! That kind of "chick lit" is my thing.

Oh I LOVED "the next big thing"....unsure of authoress, about a bigger girl getting on a reality show weight loss thing. It was cute. So I know this has been asked before, but can you guys reccomment other chick-lit (or otherwise) books having plus-sized heroines? I'd read another on awhile back about a bigger gal who was a detective on the side, I'd heard it had a sequel but never remembered the author to find it. And one about two heavy girls, one got the surgery, got tiny and snotty and had her old friend in her wedding but treated her like crap...ring a bell?

Working on "every boy has one", just up to like the second page. Is it good?

LOL I love getting these suggestions!

Shopaholic1204
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I just read "Baby Proof", lisamarie, I liked it really well! That kind of "chick lit" is my thing.

Oh I LOVED "the next big thing"....unsure of authoress, about a bigger girl getting on a reality show weight loss thing. It was cute. So I know this has been asked before, but can you guys reccomment other chick-lit (or otherwise) books having plus-sized heroines? I'd read another on awhile back about a bigger gal who was a detective on the side, I'd heard it had a sequel but never remembered the author to find it. And one about two heavy girls, one got the surgery, got tiny and snotty and had her old friend in her wedding but treated her like crap...ring a bell?

Working on "every boy has one", just up to like the second page. Is it good?

LOL I love getting these suggestions!

check out this website. I go here often. http://chicklitbooks.com/ I love chick lit too. Just click on sub-genres. And the book you're thinking of (w/the 2 big girls, and one getting all snotty) is Conversations with a Fat Girl. I HATED that book. I skipped everything and just read the ending. The ending sorta reminded me of 27 Dresses. And the one with the girl being a detective on the side...was that Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner?

I just finished Fearless Fourteen last night. And I bought 3 other books the other day...The Host by Stephanie Meyer, The Beach House by Jane Green and The Golden Compass (it has all 3 books in it)

Glory87
07-04-2008, 12:44 PM
So I know this has been asked before, but can you guys reccomment other chick-lit (or otherwise) books having plus-sized heroines? I'd read another on awhile back about a bigger gal who was a detective on the side, I'd heard it had a sequel but never remembered the author to find it

The author is Meg Cabot - the second book is Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (http://www.amazon.com/Size-12-Not-Fat-Heather/dp/0060525118/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215189719&sr=8-3). There's also a third book - Big Boned (http://www.amazon.com/Big-Boned-Heather-Wells-Mysteries/dp/0060525134/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215190037&sr=1-1).

If you liked the Next Big Thing, you might like the new book by that author How To Be Cool (http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Cool-Johanna-Edwards/dp/0425221423/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215189810&sr=1-1) - I have it on reserve at the library :)

I couple of other "bigger heroine" classics:

Jemina J (http://www.amazon.com/Jemima-Novel-About-Ducklings-Swans/dp/0767905180/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215189929&sr=1-1)

Good in Bed (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bed-Jennifer-Weiner/dp/0743418174/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215189974&sr=1-2)

Zeitgeist
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
The No. 1 Detective Agency books feature a plus-sized heroine/detective. She is very proud of her "traditional built" size 22 body. The author's website is very cool...sometimes I load it just to listen to the music while cleaning, lol. Google Alexander McCall Smith.

Rain Dancer
07-05-2008, 02:12 AM
I have several books going, right now.

I am re reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I am also reading Katharine of Aragon by Jean Plaidy and Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell.

colebear
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I just finished A Hat Full of Sky - The Continuing Adventures of Tiffany Aching and the Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. It's a Discworld novel and the Wee Free Men are hysterical!

I'm currently reading Stalking Darkness the second in Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series.

I have to say I agree with those of you who love Meg Cabot. Size Twelve is Not Fat and it's sequals had me roaring with laughter. I especially loved the bit in the store with vanity pricing and the girl who used to be a size 2 is now less than zero and can't shop there any longer. Not a problem I'll ever have, let me just say.

Shopaholic1204
07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm reading..The Host by Stephanie Meyer.

Chelby29
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Janet Evanovich is my FAVORITE! I anxiously await her new book every June. I hate cheesy romances and I also hate scary, keep-you-up-hearing-noises mysteries. Janet is a good in-between -- a little romance, a little mystery. Who else would I love?

UrsusMaritimus
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Ha! I just finished reading "Bonk" by Mary Roach as well. I liked "Stiff" better - but I do sex research (social rather than biological science) so I may have been overly critical. I just started "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. So far I'm liking it.

I just discovered Jennifer Weiner, and I have to say I *loved* "Good in Bed."

meggoat
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Loved Summer of Naked Swim Parties by Jessica Anya Blau: a humorous coming of age story set in 1976 in southern California. One of top ten summer beach reads on Today show, New York magazine and New York Post.
Also, I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle and Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris - both very funny books.
Now reading Persepolis and looking forward to digging into another Diana Gabaldon Outlander book soon...

Glory87
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Ha! I just finished reading "Bonk" by Mary Roach as well. I liked "Stiff" better - but I do sex research (social rather than biological science) so I may have been overly critical. I just started "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. So far I'm liking it.

I just discovered Jennifer Weiner, and I have to say I *loved* "Good in Bed."

A Prayer for Owen Meany is in my all time top 10!

I just started How To Be Cool and so far, it's pretty awesome. The heroine is formerly obese so I find that angle interesting.

meggoat
07-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Loved A Prayer for Owen Meany; definitely in my top ten, too.

Kelleigh
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I just finished Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall. It's about her life growing up in a polygamous sect, the FLDS. Another good read-same topic is Escape by Carylon Jessop. I'm a fan of HBO's Big Love series so when I seen these books I had to read them.

Fiction wise, I've started The Ten-Year Nap can't remember author, but it just hasn't grabbed me.

sotypical
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
So I finished Blaze a few days ago and picked up Duma Key... also by King. So far it is a GREAT read (close to halfway done) - but after this I think I need to lay off King for a bit... hard when I have stacks of books by him I haven't read.

The reviews for Duma Key were amazing and so far the book is holding true to them - lets hope it does get crazy weird at the end.

meggoat
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Just started Duma Key, which I bought based on the reviews so glad they were right!

Iconised Ghost
07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
im reading the colour of magic by terry pratchet :D its really good, nice light reading. And after that i want to read some more books by Jodie Picoult, her books are really good imo

EZMONEY
07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I am still reading The Lone Survivor....Angie is sitting behind me she said she read/is reading......

Eat - Pray - Love

Yoga for Christians

Body Mind and Spirit

UrsusMaritimus
07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm a fan of HBO's Big Love series so when I seen these books I had to read them.

Kelleigh, have you read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer? It's fascinating. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

sotypical
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Just started Duma Key, which I bought based on the reviews so glad they were right!

wooo another Duma Key reader!

I just don't want to put mine down... I think I might have to read it again almost right away!

Glory87
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I loved Duma Key while I was reading it but had huge huge issues with the book after I was done and started thinking about it. Happy to discuss with you guys when you get done!

I just finished Chasing Harry Winston and it was just okay.

WaterRat
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Love the variety of what folks are reading.

I just finished the latest book in Robert Parker's Jesse Stone series Stranger in Paradise, and recently read Elizabeth George's latest Careless in Red. Now I'm reading The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe. She's a new Canadian author, and her "heroine" is a 61 year old police detective. Very good so far.

As you might notice, I'm a big fan of mystery/detective/police procedural books, though I look a good chick lit book, and devoured the entire Diana Gabaldon series. If you like audiobooks (I love them), both Gabaldon's and Alexander McCall Smith's books are excellent listening. Speaking of which AMS has two other series, both set in Scotland that are also very good. One is the Sunday Philosophy Club (also name of first book), and the other starts with a book called 44 Scotland Street.

Luckily for me I work in a library, so it doesn't cost me a zillion dollars to satisfy my habit. I'm usually reading 3-4 books at a time. Right now I have a Linda Fairstein audiobook in my car, The Calling on my bedside table, and Out of Mind by Catherine Sampson on my MP3 player. My library has FREE downloadable books, plus I buy books from Audible . com. I listen in the car, when I'm doing housework, when I mow the lawn, and any time I'm doing something that doesn't require a lot of thought.

LisaMarie71
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Glory, I just finished Chasing Harry Winston too and I also found it just ok. I didn't expect much, of course, but still... Now I'm about 2/3 through The Friday Night Knitting Club and am finding it just ok as well. I hope after the baby is born I'll get some brain cells back and be ready for some deeper, more satisfying stuff. Nothing against chick lit and bestsellers and all that -- I always enjoy them off and on -- but I'm feeling pretty brain dead right now. I got Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky from Bookswim recently. I've been meaning to read it for a while but I believe it's about the Holocaust and I'm not emotionally ready for that right now. Bring on more mindless stuff for now!!

Tamara
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Currently reading Affirmative Acts by June Jordan. Would love to finish "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and "The Boat".

Glory87
07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Glory, I just finished Chasing Harry Winston too and I also found it just ok.

Their lives were just TOO COOL, I didn't find it even slightly realistic!

LisaMarie71
07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Exactly, Glory! I found that Brazilian character (Adriana, I think) completely unbearable!

Smiling_Sara
07-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Just started reading Water For Elephants. I really enjoy it so far!

Shopaholic1204
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I just started reading The Beach House by Jane Green

LisaMarie71
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
BornToFly - I liked Water for Elephants a lot!

Francie - I put The Beach House on my Bookswim list, so I hope to get it in the next shipment in a few weeks after I send some books back.

Right now I'm reading C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton. I never really got into mysteries, but right now they're working for me. I think it's because I need simple stories that don't make me think much while I'm waiting for my baby to be born!

I have two other books I've rented from Bookswim that I'll be reading next: Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky and The Host by Stephenie Meyer, who writes the Twilight series.

Off and on, I've been rereading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for a writing project I'm about to start. I've read that book about a million times and I think it may be my favorite novel.

2fat2bphat
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Just bought yesterday, Make the Impossible Possible by Bill Strickland

Shopaholic1204
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
LisaMarie~I love love Sue Grafton!!! I just wish her books would come out asap. I hate waiting, lol. What is Bookswim?

LisaMarie71
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Francie -- Bookswim is just like Netflix but it's for books instead of movies. I'm saving a lot of money by using it, because otherwise I would buy a bunch of books every month like I always did! You can choose from different plans, whether you want to keep 3 books out at a time or 5 or even more. I'm on the 5-book plan, and it's $24 a month. They take a little bit of time to get the books to you, but if you schedule it right you can always have something to read. You keep a book pool of stuff you want, and they just send stuff right back out to you after you ship things back, and the shipping is always free just like with Netflix. Also, I've been able to get stuff that's really new, so it's nice not to have to wait for the paperback version when you can't afford the hardcover! I like having my own books, of course, but I honestly have 100s of boxes full of books in my attic and I just can't keep spending that kind of money with a baby on the way and no income this coming year. And the library is too far away, plus their selection is too limited. Bookswim has pretty much everything. Let me know if you want to try it -- I might have a coupon code for 50% off the first month on some bookmark they sent me.

jelynn
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer-- totally not my genre, but enjoying it! I'm about 3/4 done.

Glory87
07-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I have The Host on hold at the library, but I'm like number 50.

I just finished reading Belong to Me (http://www.amazon.com/Belong-Me-Marisa-los-Santos/dp/0061240273/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216236695&sr=8-1) and it was pretty good. A few of the storylines I liked more than others.

white text below - highlight to read spoiler

I knew there had to be SOMETHING with Cornelia and Teo's PERFECT marriage, it was a little obvious.

white text above

Oh, I just discovered there is a previous book with the same characters - Love Comes In. I guess I'll put it on hold at the library!

FrouFrou
07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Finished Dear John...Nicholas Sparks and while I am a fan of his books I was a little disappointed with this one. So now I started The Saving Graces...Patricia Gaffney and so far, so good.

Kelleigh
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
UrsusMaritimus: No, I haven't read Under the Banner of Heaven yet, but I seen it at Barnes&Noble and wondering about it.

Iconised Ghost: I think Jodi Picoult is good also. My favorite is My Sisters Keeper, but I also liked Plain Truth , and Nineteen Minutes.

For those of you with teenagers check out Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I first read this when I was about 13 and fell in love with this story. I still read this book about once a year, even though I'm far from a teenager:D

KAR73
07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I am currently reading Fearless by Diana Palmer. It is good so far. Just haven't really much of a chance to really read it. I have been busy working out, running errands, and mowing the lawn. So tonight after I clean house, I am going to read for a while. I am a big fan of chick lit. So I might have to check out some of the titles earlier mention in the thread.

KAR73
07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Well I am almost done with the book. I stayed up late reading last night. So my plans for this evening are to get my shower, get my pj's on and curl up with it again. I have about 148 pages left. So I am hoping to finish it tonight. It is a really fast read.
Hope you are all enjoying the books you are reading right now.
Happy Reading!
Kerry

FrouFrou
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
So The Saving Graces was boring me a little and I had to move on...started Cross by James Patterson. ALways love his books. I've not given up on The Saving Graces, just taking a break today...will go between the two this week, or finish Cross and go back to The Saving Graces...not really into her style of writing.

Glory87
07-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I wasn't able to get through Saving Graces either!

I just finished reading The Space Between Us (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006079156X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) and it was amazing. Exceptionally beautiful prose, gripping storyline, very interesting view into two different women in India (one well off, one poor). A little heartbreaking at times. I usually get all my books from the library, but rarely, if I love it enough, I buy it. This one is going into the buy pile!

techwife
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
I just finished A Great And Terrible Beauty. It was a good young-adult read. My daughter wanted to read it and I had to read ahead of her to be sure there weren't any 'love scenes'. Only one questionable one.

ANOther
07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Done with The Dreyfus Affair and Heart Seizure

Beginning tonight: The Judas Strain by James Rollins (The Hot Zone meets The Da Vinci Code), and once I'm done with that The Emperor's Bones by Adam Williams (a novel about revolutions in China in the 1920s, should make good background reading with the Olympics in China starting in a couple of weeks)

Fiestyfriend
07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
I, too, just finished Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen and absolutely adored the story. Looking for my next story to fall into -- the ones by Meg Cabot intrigued me, so I've already requested Size 12 Is Not Fat from the library. Thanks for the recommendations! I hope it comes in soon...I loathe waiting for books!:mad:

Marianne

KAR73
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I am reading Flowers for Algernon. It is really good so far. I am part of an Adult Summer Reading program at my sister's library. There are nine caterogies to choice books from. You only have to read one book off six categories lists. So after this book I think I might read The Mothman Prophices and Ain't She Sweet?
I have to look for the Meg Cabot books when I got to the library the next time.

FrouFrou
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I loved Water For Elephants! And I thought Size 12 is Not Fat was good too. I am getting ready to order Size 14 is Not Fat Either & Big Boned. Was going to get them all at once but I've heard different people who liked the book and others who didn't. So thought I would read the first one and then decide. Right now going to get back to Saving Graces...so I can be done with it!

Sarah Mac
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I just got done reading Three Cups of Tea about Greg Mortenson building schools in Pakistan for the children. I am also reading a book called Switching Lives...really funny chick book...I am also reading The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban. I am about to start reading The Bookseller of Kabul.

I read a ton of books about Central Asia and the Middle East. So if y'all have any good recommendations or would like some just message me :)

I really enjoyed The Princess series by Jean Sasson. I actually enjoy all of her writing.

As you can tell I love to read and especially non-fiction!!

LisaMarie71
07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Sarah Mac, someone bought me Three Cups of Tea for Christmas but I haven't read it yet. I have to really be in the mood for nonfiction, and I haven't been lately. Was it good?

I just finished Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which was pretty interesting but not fantastic. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Now I'm between books and I'm not sure what to read. I have some books coming in the mail from Bookswim but it will probably be another week and I certainly can't wait that long to start another one. I have some other stuff around the house, so I need to pick something out.

By next week, I'll probably be in the hospital having my baby!!!

jelynn
07-22-2008, 06:25 PM
lisamarie- I just finished The Host as well! I liked it ok...but I only liked her other ones ok too...lots of hoopla for just "ok" books, lol.

Also just finished Fablehaven, but Brandon Mulls (or something like that??)-- it was a fun YA book- would like to read it aloud to my kids.

Right now I'm reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen- totally fascinating!

Sarah Mac
07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Sarah Mac, someone bought me Three Cups of Tea for Christmas but I haven't read it yet. I have to really be in the mood for nonfiction, and I haven't been lately. Was it good?

I just finished Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which was pretty interesting but not fantastic. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Now I'm between books and I'm not sure what to read. I have some books coming in the mail from Bookswim but it will probably be another week and I certainly can't wait that long to start another one. I have some other stuff around the house, so I need to pick something out.

By next week, I'll probably be in the hospital having my baby!!!

Congrats on becoming a mommy!!! My mom keeps nagging about future grandchildren lol. Right now she only has a white fluffy grandchild who likes squeaky toys lol.

Three Cups of Tea was amazing and extremely positive which I like every once and a while :)

So funny you mentioned The Host because I saw it at Half Price Books my mecca of bookstores lol. I like sci-fi type of books, so who knows.

Oh I just got into the writer of Sex and the City, Candace Bushnell . I bought Lipstick Jungle and her other novels and I am hooked. She has one called 4 Blondes and then Trading Up. I highly recommend it if you want a good yay for women type of book :) She uses many of the same characters in her books so her characters are always evolving. It is highly addictive.

Someone just recommend the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Supposively she takes a year off to explore a more spiritual side to life and travels to India and etc.

walking2lose
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I liked Three Cups of Tea a lot. I got bogged down a few times (it's slow), but I agree it's a really positive read.

And I absolutely LOVED Eat, Pray, Love! I connected with it very much. Loved it!

Sarah - have you read Infidel? I can't remember the author's name, but she is living in hiding in Holland (although she is a politician). She was raised Muslim, and she is very outspoken about the oppression of women in Muslim cultures. It was just recommended to me, and I plan to read it before I go back to school (I teach).

My book club met tonight; we discussed Saturday by Ian MacKuen (is that right??). He wrote Atonement. I found it quite thought provoking, but it is very slow.

Sarah Mac
07-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I liked Three Cups of Tea a lot. I got bogged down a few times (it's slow), but I agree it's a really positive read.

And I absolutely LOVED Eat, Pray, Love! I connected with it very much. Loved it!

Sarah - have you read Infidel? I can't remember the author's name, but she is living in hiding in Holland (although she is a politician). She was raised Muslim, and she is very outspoken about the oppression of women in Muslim cultures. It was just recommended to me, and I plan to read it before I go back to school (I teach).

My book club met tonight; we discussed Saturday by Ian MacKuen (is that right??). He wrote Atonement. I found it quite thought provoking, but it is very slow.

Claire-I just bought Infidel because I saw her on CSPAN discussing her life and she spoke about how Somalia will never be fixed. It is quite sad that there are death threats against this woman. She was here in the U.S. for a bit, but went back to Holland.

Ohhh what do you teach??

Sarah Mac
07-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I loved Water For Elephants! And I thought Size 12 is Not Fat was good too. I am getting ready to order Size 14 is Not Fat Either & Big Boned. Was going to get them all at once but I've heard different people who liked the book and others who didn't. So thought I would read the first one and then decide. Right now going to get back to Saving Graces...so I can be done with it!

I didn't know there was a second book called Size 14 is Not Fat Either...I am really excited now because I enjoyed Cabot's Size 12 :)

LisaMarie71
07-23-2008, 10:45 AM

I liked Saturday and a few others by Ian McEwan, but Atonement is by far his best book. The movie was great but it still doesn't do the book justice, because it's simply brilliant, one of the best books I've ever read. When I read it I was in a new book club and I picked it as our selection -- only one person actually read it and the others said "too boring" or they didn't even try it. That was my first clue that I was in the wrong book club! They never read the book selections unless they chose them -- they were only in the club because we ate out at different restaurants every month. I'd like to get into a REAL book club one day! One where people actually read!!

FairyVickie
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Reading the classics. This week it is Kate Chopin's ' The Awakening'.
I like it !!

MaNdA22
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I just started a new series by ..Mary Janice Davidson

1st book-Undead and Unwed (Loved it)
2nd book-Undead and Unemployed(currently reading and loving it)

colebear
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I read a ton of books about Central Asia and the Middle East. So if y'all have any good recommendations or would like some just message me

Sarah Mac, you may be interested in Q & A: A Novel by Vikas Swarup.

The Audio File review is:
Ram Mohammed Thomas is a waiter who gets the chance to appear on "Who Will Win a Billion?" on Indian TV. Even though the orphan has never been to school, an amazing sequence of coincidences allows him to answer the 12 questions correctly and win the billion rupees. The TV show thinks he must be cheating, especially since the producers hadn't planned on someone winning the billion before advertising revenue brought in more than the billion needed for the prize. So he is arrested. He tells his life story to his attorney, and through the questions the listener learns about his life and his real reason for going on the show.

I haven't read The Host by Stephanie Meyer but I may check it out from the library based on what you all have said. I read and enjoyed Twilight but gave up on New Moon because Bella annoyed the crap out of me.

I finished Stalking Darkness and the next in the Nightrunner series Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling. Now I'm reading the 3rd Tiffany Aching book by Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith.

Spoz
07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
The sign of the zodiac (Book three) by Vickie Pettersson. Fabulous series.. I'm on the last book and I do not want it to end!

JuliaDH
07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Habits that mess up a woman's diet by Elizabeth Somer. Contains looks of good insights

KAR73
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Just finished Flowers for Algernon. Very good though provoking book. Now going to start reading Just Beyond the Clouds by Karen Kingsbury.

LisaMarie71
07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I didn't know there was a second book called Size 14 is Not Fat Either...I am really excited now because I enjoyed Cabot's Size 12 :)

There's also a third called Big Boned. I read all three -- they're fun!

Glory87
07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I just finished reading the Host and it was kinda eh. I loooove the idea of a parasitic alien invasion - that was pretty cool. I liked the beginning and the end of the book but felt the middle really really dragged. I also couldn't stand all the adolescent lovey angst. It was a really fast read and I would probably pick up a sequel from the library.

julie99s
07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm not going to lie... I'm finishing up book 5 of A Series Of Unfortunate Events. They are addicting! I got a good deal on the first 5 books, hardcover, on ebay, so I bought them "for the kids".

FrouFrou
07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Getting ready to start Double Cross by James Patterson later today.

Finally got back into reading The Saving Graces...glad it got a little better, not bad overall. Don't think I will read another of her books though. :dunno:

beautifulone
07-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Kar73, I really liked Flowers for Algernon, incredibly touching!

Right now Im starting The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield.

WaterRat
07-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm reading This Charming Man by Marian Keyes. I usually like her books, but this one is dragging a little. Also have Donna Andrews new book Cockatiels at Seven to start. Just got the new J A Jance Damage Control on audio and I'll start it as soon as I finish the Linda Fairstein I'm listening to. It's an older one called Final Jeopardy. It's funny to notice how fast things have changed. It was written just 10 years ago and while the characters have email, they have no cell phones, no internet, and no PDA's. :)

KAR73
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I am almost done reading Just Beyond The Clouds by Karen Kingsbury. It is a really good fast read. A very touching story about a Down Syndrome young man and how his older brother tries to protect him from getting hurt. Don't know what I will read next when I am done with that one. Sounds like you are all reading some good books right now.
Happy reading!
Kerry

LisaMarie71
07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Pat -- I really like Marian Keyes too (I think there was only one book so far that I didn't like). I especially liked Anybody Out There, even though it was different from her others. I have This Charming Man on my Bookswim list, so I should get it soon.

I just finished Sue Grafton's D is for Deadbeat and before that I read Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise. Suite Francaise was interesting, but more for the background story of the author than the novel itself. Nemirovsky died in Auschwitz in 1942. She had planned a novel of 4 or 5 sections but only finished 2 before she died -- it's about the German occupation of France during WWII. The first section was a bit slow and I enjoyed the second one much more. The writing is really beautiful in spots, but I found myself more interested in the appendices, which included Nemirovsky's notes and plans for the novel and all the letters to, from, and about her around the time she was deported and taken to Auschwitz. Pretty tragic. Her daughter brought the manuscript out for publication many years after her death.

Now I'm reading Phillippa Gregory's The Constant Princess. After that I plan to read Jane Green's The Beach House. The birth of my baby will probably interrupt the reading of one of these books, unless he decides to stay put until next week!!