Support Groups - Shiftworkers-The Vampires are back in July

Operator265
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think most of the MDs or RNs are bad, but with the present health care system in this country, their hands are tied. Oops, correction, I should have said PAs and LPNs.:rolleyes: Anymore, HMOs don't want to pay for fully trained and qualified health practitioners. That's just not "cost effecient".

And what I really love is how hospitals now have "Grief Counselors" who's job is to help guide you thru the grief process and into the signing the "Waiver of Right to Litigation" against the hospital for any negligence on it's part process.:headache: Yeah, I know your loved one is dead because the HMO won't pay enough for a qualified DR but it's not our fault that a new hire jammed a bunch of the wrong medication into her even though the chart clearly showed she was allergic to it.

Oops, I'm ranting again.:tantrum:

Vlad-Glad you're liking the DVD. I'm thinking of trying Curves here soon. I may get a chance to check them out this next 2 days off. I screwed up and forgot to cancel some OT, so I'm working the 4th and 5th.:( Oh well, I guess I can use the $$$. I may try some yoga once I get going after getting an excercise routine in place.

Well, I'm worn out. I've been on Blast Crew for the last 2 1/2 days. I either sit on my dead one on a truck or work on the most physically demanding job in the mind. Just like with the rest of my life, I never do seem to be able to find the middle of the road.:dz:

Love all you Vampire Chicks out there.

jeanniethewicked
07-02-2008, 05:40 AM
:rollpin: Rant on, girlfriend!

I have a hard time finding the middle of the road, as well. Especially with the house. I either look around at all I have to do, feel completely overwhelmed, and do nothing -OR- I get started on a project and go way overboard. There is so much in the house I need to get under control, but it seems that as soon as I have something looking nice, they come along and just crap all over it. It doesn't help that I'm a pack rat. I truly don't mean to be, and don't want to be. I just have no idea what to do with what's here really, and the things I hold onto I really think for some reason are necessary. I need to play clean sweep!

Vladadog
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I have one more night off. I'm feeling rested, I stacked the rest of last year's firewood, I read a book - (a whole book not just a page before falling asleep (I read "Eclipse", the third book in a young adult romance series. Ironically, considering our new monthly shiftworker heading the story is about a typical highschool senior who has to choose between her vampire boyfriend and werewolf best friend - apparently vampires and werewolves don't like each other. But we won't tell my avatar that I'm posting in a vampire forum...)

Anyway, I'm feeling quite like a normal human being now and I'm ready for another month of insanity. I'll be working through the holidays but I'm looking at the fact I'll be spared many temptations as a silver lining.

aud
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Goooood Morning Shift Workers EVERYWHERE!!!

okokok . . . not really morning - I've actually been up early today packing for the Ohio Trip . . . leaving late this afternoon/early evening.

Had a small hitch . . . fell on my face last nite/concrete andwoke up today feelinglikeI got run over in Operators Mine Shaft!!!!!:^:

Better the more I move around - but do I have the bad luck or what????:devil:

Tx for the link gals - would have lost my Fellow Shifties . . . STILL having probs shifting over to days . . . just do. not. know. how you Rotators do it???!!!!

Cannot even START on my health care feelings - lost my HMO last contract so now have "traditional" with 5 freakin' visits per year (all with copay!!) . . .. :mad::mad:

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeep breaaaathing*

Loving the Vampireness BTW Vlad!:cool:

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAUAAAH!!!

We'll have the laptop so may check in if I get techno enuf - if not - I'll be back late on the 7th.

Have A Great Week Y'all & YEEEEHAAAAA from Vacay-Land!:carrot:

Operator265
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Oh Boy Jeannie, I do know about that game with the housework. I do it the same way. BTW, just exactly who is the "they" you are talking about? The Aliens:foot:, the secret government:sssh: or, most evil and demonic, the children.:twirly: Yeah, mine love to come in right after I clean up and terrorize the room I just finished.:yikes: I've sent my youngest to her dad's so I can spring clean in July.

Hey Vlad! I'll keep the secret from your avatar. Besides, I think I'm a little more werewolf this week since TOM started. No nice friendly poke in the neck. I'ld rather rip 'um to shreds when they get on my nerves.

Oh yeah, the 500 post rule is so it doesn't take forever to load the pages. That's why most threads run monthly and the games on General Chatter are numbered.

OK Aud, we need another vacation show off around here.:rolleyes: Just Kidding. Hope you have fun and can still find a little time to keep in touch with us working stiffs.

I did my Fit for Duty exam at work today. They let me off easy since I'm sore from blasting and have lost 35 lbs since my respirator fit test in April.:D Plus, I automatically got my workout for the day in. I just went to check out the Curves by my house. I go in for my free workout on the 10th.

Also, I got a pair of FitFlops yesterday. Most people said they can't feel it until the next night after they wear them, but since I'm already sore, I can feel the burn in the back of my shins. If I can get used to the split toe thing, I think I'm going to like them.

Have a good one folks. Keep strong and hang in there.

Apple Cheeks
07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
OK Aud, we need another vacation show off around here.:rolleyes: Just Kidding. Hope you have fun and can still find a little time to keep in touch with us working stiffs.

Someone talking 'bout me? :wave: :D

I am in my second week of vacation. Woo hoo! Last week I spent part of it up in San Francisco. It was unbelieveably cold! I actually had to go buy a coat, hat, mittens, and a scarf just so I wouldn't freeze to death for my visit over at Alcatraz!

I'm trying not to keep vampire hours now that I'm on vacation, so I'm actually awake when most other people are. It'll probably be pretty rough those first few days when I do go back to work.

Or, I could win the Lotto and I'd never have to worry about that again!

If I ever did win, they'd never hear from me at work again! :devil: I wouldn't quit. Oh no. I'd just not go. Sort of like that guy from "Office Space." That would be me. :cool:

Operator265
07-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh, I'ld go in. Just long enough to tell them all to kiss my fat, rich A$$.:devil::devil::devil:

Vladadog
07-03-2008, 11:14 PM
well, I'm in work and ready for the 4th of July. At work. I normally weigh myself on Thursday nights but the scale is still missing. I'm more focused on how I feel than on the numbers but I do want to update that ticker...

Right now, if I won the lottery I'd keep working a while at least. But I doubt I'd stay full time for long. I hardly ever buy tickets but every now and then I do and I always hope.

The Twilight books - I really enjoyed them and I'm looking forward to the last one. It's been a long long time since highschool but the author really captured that "first true love" thrill and anxiety feeling perfectly.

I think I'll go do my Sara Ivanson DVD now - that ought to help wake me up a bit!

Operator265
07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
OMG. Here comes a rant. Look out.:bomb:

Last week is spent $750 on MY truck(new plugs, wires, distributor cap, it was missing on a cylinder that DD didn't tell me about, oil change was 1500 miles past due and such). I let my DD use it b/c someone tried to steal the car IIIIIII bought her in the apartment complex in the neighborhood I told her I didn't like and screwed up to electronics.....:blah: That's another rant in itself.

So anyways.....This morning I head out to work at 5:30 a.m.(did you know I'm NOT a morning person:mad:, now you do;)) and there is a dent right by the gas door of MY car. There is also white paint and a dent on the rear corner of MY truck. They match up perfectly!!! MY daughter hit MY car with MY truck. AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!:tantrum: Yeah, Y'all, that explosion you heard this morning wasn't fireworks.:s:

Now IIIIIII have to get MY car fixed. So I guess it's a good thing that I forgot to cancel these OT days that I didn't want to work in the first damned place. Now IIIII need the money. So does she. Our birthdays are on the 8th and this year I'm getting her a bike, helmet and outfit to wear to work. Why? Cause she can no longer afford gas since she has to pay me the costs of repairing the damage to MY car while still paying rent and car payments on her car that is sitting in the garage that she can't afford to repair. But they did let HER off work early tonight while IIIIII'm working freaking OT.:rolleyes:

Do ya think the little girl ain't wishing she had gone to college now.:D

Oh, oh, oh, that's not all. So how does she try to apologize:listen:. By getting me a Deli Sandwich for after work that is sitting in my fridge stinking it up so good:drool:. Now I know why some animals eat their young.:devil::devil::devil:

Rant over. I'm hitting the shower and going to bed.:faint:

Hope everyone is having a Happy 4th of July. Stay Strong and Keep the Faith. We can do it.:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Vladadog
07-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I always thought the first D in abbreviations like "DD" and DH" stood for "dear" but now I'm thinking perhaps it stands for "damned". How old is your daughter Operator?

I used my George Foreman for the first time today. I LOVE it! I can see it's going to get a lot more use.

I'm also considering getting a wii and wii fit. Has anyone here tried it. I know it wouldn't be a regular workout like at the gym but going to the gym is not in my schedule. I could do the wii at work though - it would keep me more active than watching a movie or playing solitaire (yeah, I actually have a job where I often have time to watch a movie or play cards or surf around 3FC....). It sounds like it really focuses on balance which, at my age, would be as valuable a workout as anything else. I really notice how my reflexes aren't what they once were....

Operator265
07-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey Vlad, there was a thred about the wiifit. I think it was under General Chatter. when I get home I'll see if I can find it a post the link, if you can't find it.

Operator265
07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141636

Here's the link for the WiiFit Vlad. And, she's 19. It took an hour or two, but it did turn back into "Dear" once I mellowed. I've screwed things up for my parents a time or two myself. But, that girl has got to quit hitting stuff with my vehicles. Especially another one of my vehicles. Good thing I have a "gallows" sense of humor. But, I did want to share so the other unfortunate breeders out there would know they are not alone.

Good luck with the WiiFit if you decide to get it.

Operator265
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
BTW, I think DH can also mean D**k Head.:devil:

Vladadog
07-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks Operator. I found a few discussions once I searched for "wiifit" all one word. "wii" alone was too short a search criteria which was a bit frustrating.

I've got a co-worker who is going to lend me his wii to try. He doesn't have "wii fit" but I can try the sports games and see what I think. I am not an "exerciser" but I am pretty obsessive so if I can find a wii game that keeps me interested and even moderately active that will be a real plus.

About your DD - wow, 19 is soooo young. And soooo long ago. The transition from "carefree" to "responsible" is a tough one. Good luck to you both on that one.

crazynette826
07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
So my crazy life just keeps going!! I've had to turn around to a day schedule each weekend for the last month, and it's wearing me out!!! I hate switching back and forth. It sucks!! One more week and then I'm staying on a night schedule for at least 10 days!!

On the plus side I got to go camping this weekend with my parents. It was really pretty up in the mountains and the lake was gorgeous!! I went on 3 hikes, 2 bike rides, and even paddled around the lake in our canoe for an hour. It was fun to be so active and enjoy nature, but now I am so tired!! I don't have to work until Tues, so I have a couple of nights to turn back around and get somethings done around my house.

Vlad, my brother has a Wii and it's tons of fun!!! I love playing the sports games. Bowling and tennis are my favorite!! I also like this dodgeball game that my nephew has. It's kind of cheesy, but lot's of fun! He doesn't have Wii Fit, but I've heard that it's fun, and is a good way to track your progress. I've almost bought a Wii a few times, but can't justify that much money just yet. Maybe after I pick up a couple of extra shifts.

Operator265
07-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, I made it to another weigh in day and I'm down 3 more lbs. Just gotta "keep on keeping on". Hope everyone is having a good week.

jeanniethewicked
07-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi Vamps! I have had the worst luck getting logged in here lately...

Vlad - I've been meaning to read the Twilight series... :bat: is it fabulous? I've heard the wii fit is cool, but I haven't tried it. Have some friends talking about getting it, I'll let you know if I get to play with it!

Aud - Did you really fall on your face?!!? :stars: Are you okay? Hope you have a great trip! Be safe!

Operator!!! - Don't eat your young! :hun: And don't eat the sammich! What are FitFlops? DH :lol3:

Apple - Welcome back! Did you happen to see my stapler while you were out? :shrug:

Nette - :wave: ***jealous*** that you got to go camping. I know that was fun, I haven't been in years!

WTG everyone on your tickers! :cheer2:

I haven't weighed, because we all know that I just don't do that, but I did have to poke a new hole in my belt! :woohoo:
It's an inch in.
I'm pleased.

I credit that not so much to my maintaining my diet as to getting some exercise. I've been doing sets of leg lifts and crunches EVERY DAY. And been dancing with the chili peppers, as well. I haven't been so good at yoga etc. because I've hurt the heck out of my shoulder. I actually did it some time ago. Kept expecting it to get better, but it's only gotten worse. I have an appointment on the 22nd with the doctor who fixed my ankle, so I know he will get it right and fix it. I'm just hoping it's not more surgery. I just don't have time for more surgery.

If he does make me go under I'm bargaining for new boobs in the same go. ;)

crazynette826
07-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Jeannie - The Twilight series is one of my favorites. I can't wait for the 4th one to come out! You should definately read them. Most of the girls at work have read them and I only know of 2 that didn't totally love them and fall in love with Edward. I know that I'm in love with him, now if only I could find one in real life!!

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. That sucks! Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

Vladadog
07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
If he does make me go under I'm bargaining for new boobs in the same go

too funny! Although pracitcal. One of my girlfriends had breast reduction surgery and her health insurance actually paid for it. Those probably aren't the new boobs you're looking for though...

I HIGHLY recommend the Twilight series. It's well written and Edward is quite wonderful.

'Nette, have you read "midnight sun"? It's the first chapter of Twilight but told from Edward's POV. Meyer is planning on a whole Midnight sun novel once "Breaking Dawn" is out. You can read the first chapter here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html (I'll spare the mods having to decide if that's an okay link or not and you can just cut and paste)(edit - oh, it linked anyway... well it's not diet related but its also not religious political advertisement or spam and it is what we were talking about so hopefully it is okay )

Weigh ins... the scale at work, which kinda sorta got me started on this whole journey, has gone walkabout so I haven't weighed in in two weeks. And my summer clothes are all so light and loose fitting it is hard to tell. But I have a bracelet I started wearing when I decided to lose weight - it was VERY tight and a good reminder when I was thinking about food. Now it is quite loose after only 15 or 20 pounds later but I still wear it as my reminder. I have another bracelet that is a slip on and I've never been able to wear it. So one of my goals is to finally be able to wear that bracelet.

I need to get more exercise but 20 minute work out videos and the walk with the dogs is all I've fit in. I have an occassional second job where i pick parts at a friend's autoparts warehouse. I help out when folks are on vacation or during the holidays when things are busy. I'm on for four afternoons the end of this month - that's always a good workout - 4 hours of go go go all over the building up and down stairs carrying all kinds of things. But I'm also looking forward to trying out the wii at work and seeing if that can get me moving more an hour a night when I work.

I have no problem with the "cut out the junk food and eat healthy food" part of this process but the "find time (and energy and motivation) for exercise" part is a challenge. Although being back on my regular work schedule and getting "normal" amounts of sleep help here too - when I'm working so much and such a rollercoaster schedule I just don't have the energy to even care.

aud
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Hiya SHIFTIES - I'm baaaaack!:hug:

Cedar Point was faboo - altho' it was sooo hard rushing around in the early mornings to get out of motels with my DAY shift travelling partners!:devil:

Those Coasters sure woke me up tho - YEEEE DAWGGGIES there were some real eye openers at that park!:o:dizzy: Too big to get on some of the loopy de loop kind but not sure I would have anyway - and I'm not just saying that! WHOOOOAAAA! I did manage to get on about 10 of the 17 Coasters there so not bad for a Big Girl?:devil:

Had a Blast - and have enjoyed catching up this morning here @ 3fc - will Post more later - got back a day late and going camping tomorrow so lots and lot to do . . . also starting a new Challenge for Labor Day here - if any of you are looking for a great group of NO PRESSURE gals that concentrate on just drinking water and eating healthy no matter the Plan - check it out: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145684 The first Post explains WEED the best.:cool:

bbl . . .

Vladadog
07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Cedar Point is supposed to be so excellent for Roller Coasters!

The celebration for my 50th birthday was supposed to include a trip to Hershey Park this year with a large group of friends. I love Roller Coasters and I grew up going to Hershey. I haven't been for a couple years and last time it was a close fit for some of the rides. And a couple I fit but I needed to ask for the extender belt. How embarrassing. So I really wanted to lose weight before the trip this past May but I just couldn't get off my fat butt and do it.

The trip got postponed for a year though when one of our group got badly hurt in a freak accident. So now I have a second chance and I am determined to not need that extender belt this time. Really, the roller coasters at Hershey are one of my great motivators for this lifestyle change of mine. Maybe when I reach my goal weight I can celebrate by going to other great Roller Coaster parks....

Operator265
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, you beautiful Vampires, I made it through to days off. Thank god.:tired: Still a little exhausted.:faint:

I walked to Curves for one intro session, and I go on Sat. for my next freeby. I hope I can take it.

Vlad- I know you'll be able to fit into them all next year. You can do it woman.:hug:

Aud-Happy to hear you are enjoying yourself.:carrot:

Jeannie-FitFlops are shoes that make you feel like you are walking on sand. They help you tighten your calves, thighs and butt. I've had them about a week and really like them. http://www.thefitflop.com/

Nette-Glad you enjoyed the camping.

I just got a continuous heart rate monitor. Wanna check out my personal calorie burn on a regular basis. Will let y'all know how it works out

I love all you evill little vampires.

jeanniethewicked
07-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Okay Nette, I will go get the first in Twilight. My second job is in a book store, so I can check it out for free. How cool is that!

Coasters Aud!!! Awesome!!! I am so jealous. I am a roller coaster junkie too!

Nope Vlad, those are exactly the boobs I'm looking for. I wants a reduction! I have a small rib cage and huge boobs. Most of my weight is in my thighs, belly, butt and yes, boobs. A reduction would lose me 10 pounds at least, and probably help my shoulder and back as well. Anyway, my appointment is not for 11 more days, and new boobs are just a dream for now. Will let you all know what he says though.

Operator, I like the reviews I see on these Fit Flops, but I don't have a spare $50 lying about at the moment. Let us know how you like yours. And I think you will love Curves! I hear only great things about it from my friends that go. I joined one of the gyms associated with National Fitness, and they were a nightmare. Scared me off of gyms. If I ever find gym money again I will buy my own little set up and stay home.

I get 3 off in a row next week, shifties! I am so excited!!!! :hyper:

aud
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
*chuckling @ beautiful vampires*:p

Love it!:cool:

Popping in & out from the camp - had to come back home to take care of some stuff & heading back out to the wilderness until tomorrow.:carrot:

Hope the moon is out tonight . . . never heard of the Twilight series - what genre?

My fave series: The Gunslinger - Stephen King - just AWESOME.

I also really enjoyed all the Harry Potters last summer.

Would LOVE to work in a bookstore . . . 'cept I'd be fired for just reading - lol!;)

aud
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Sign me up for some new boooooobs!:D

Gonna look into after I take this weight off.

Seriously.

Vladadog
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Today is my one month anniversary for starting my diet and I'm down 13 pounds. I was down more at one point but between TOM and switching scales it is now 13 pounds and I'm fine with that. That other could have been a fluke and 13 is good. I feel good, I'm eating healthy, and I'm not craving crap.

There was a great article in the NY Times today about the wooden rollercoasters of Pennsylvania. Woodies are my favorite and two of my loves - Lightening Racer and The Wildcat were mentioned. I could ride the Racer all day long. The Wildcat is one of the most terrifying coasters I've been on (and I've been on alot). My family are all coaster crazy and only my great nephew will go on the Cat with me. Well, my brother will go with me but only out of solidarity, he is not a fan of the wildcat. (the article is in the travel section in case anyone wants to check it out and this link doesn't work...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/travel/escapes/11roller.html?ex=1216440000&en=546299758fd5a296&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Jeannie - my friend Pam really doubted her sanity the first week after her surgery because of the pain and swelling but then she started healing and she is sooooo happy she had it done. And her back pain is gone gone gone. That's how she got her insurance to pay for it, by documenting the health bennies.

Aud - Twilight is a teen/young adult romance story between a typical high school junior and a vampire. But that description just does not do it credit at all. It's just very well done.

I'm interested in the fitflops... the raised heel surprised me since the negative heels are always the ones that are touted as being the most benificial to muscles and backs and posture etc. I'll check them out though next time I'm in town.

well, I'd better get to work!

Operator265
07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Vlad. I just got a pair of Earth Shoes with the negative heel. http://www.earth.us/ I Love them. If the feeling in the back of my shins, the front of my thighs and my butt are any indication, they work great. I swear I am standing up straighter(confirmed by DD who didn't know about them) and I can feel more oxygen in my lungs.

At $120 it puts alot of people off, but I've always been willing to spend on good shoes. The costs of cheap shoes is just too high, ie. pain, Chiropractors, headaches, scooters when your 60, etc. My mom worked on her feet in a post office and drilled the importance of good shoes into me.

I just got some new boobs and a waist from Dr. Rey at Sears. I really like his high waisted panties. I wore them for about five hours around the house and they actually stayed up without me constantly grabbing at them. And I didn't feel like I would pass out from lack of oxygen. And since they came up to just below my bra, I didn't have that uggggllly roll of fat above them.

OK gotta shower for graves. Love you fantastic night freaks.

Vladadog
07-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Hey my shifty friends -

I would love to have a pair of earth shoes but I have very wide feet and have never found a pair that fit, even in the men's section. I'm hopeful my feet will be a bit less wide 100 pounds from now.

I just cooked up a yummy stir fry. I was going to write "for lunch" but I still never know what to call my meals on the nights I'm working. Anyway, it was yummy, whatever meal it was. When I finally got serious about losing weight I really thought work would be the tough part - all the junk food and leftovers for free vs. bring healthy food from home (that I had to pay for with my own cash money). But I've really gotten in the habit of bringing stuff from home. Tonight there was left over cake (from a meeting on Wednesday) and cupcakes (from a birthday party on Thursday) and brownies (from who knows when) and I had no problem ignoring them all. I didn't even want to lick the cake knife before I put it in the dishwasher. I wasn't even tempted. I wasn't tempted by the leftovers in the fridge either. I got on the scale tonight and I'm down another couple pounds and that's all I needed to ignore all those past temptations.

I haven't gotten to try the wii yet - my co-worker hasn't brought it in. I'm kinda bored with the DVDs at this point so I'm looking forward to the wii.

Hey, I just noticed Aud and I both have 109 pounds to go. Except I bet she comes back from her camping trip all relaxed and thinner.

I'm curious to hear what Jeannie thought of Twilight. I dropped my set (of the first three books in the series) off at a friend's house but her 15 year old daughter claimed them before she could get a chance to start. And the 18 year old has dibs on them as well.

Today is payday! I'm going to try to check out some fitflops on my way home!

jeanniethewicked
07-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Payday for me too, woohoo! Full moon, and there sure were a lot of crazies in tonight... Glad I had my good shoes on!

I love the HP series too, but Stephen King scares the **** outta me. :fr:
I'm really glad that man has an outlet!

I haven't had a chance to get Twilight yet. I'll go by the store after the doctor on Tuesday. My arm has gotten worse, I'm afraid I've dislocated the heck out of it. And how long does it take to recover from a reduction? I have a week I can take with pay, but can't afford a lot of unpaid time off.

The only temptation I'm not resisting anymore is the temptation to have all my energy back, and look & feel better! I'm about to get serious about packing my lunches and scheduling my meals again. With the potential for sitting home recovering I want to be prepared to not sit and graze. I'm curious to what I can do when I'm eating right with my exercising, I think the ankle can handle the treadmill now. If not, the Chili Peppers still love me, so I'll weigh in soon.

Good night and sweet dreams my delicious little vampires!!!!

takingchances
07-18-2008, 05:40 AM
ben away for a while.. but it seems like I do so well then my night duties come along and set me back hard core.

Vladadog
07-18-2008, 11:25 AM
it seems like I do so well then my night duties come along and set me back hard core.

Losing weight while working nights always reminds me of the quote about Ginger Rogers: "Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. Losing weight is hard for nearly everyone but shift work just makes it extra special.

I'm about to get serious about packing my lunches and scheduling my meals again.

I hated giving up my free and easy food at work. But I hate being 100 pounds overweight too. And I know which I hate more... You're worth it Jeannie and I bet eating well will speed your recovery too!

Vladadog
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I thought I'd report in on the ftflops. I wore them around the house all night last night at work and I'm wearing them now as well. I can definitely feel it in the back of my calves tonight, that they are getting a work out. My regular shoes are sneakers and I usually go barefoot (or in socks) inside and these are very different than sneaks or barefeet.

They are comfy to wear. I still prefer barefeet but for now I'm committed to wearing them while inside and seeing what happens.

Operator265
07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Glad you're liking the fitflops. I've been wearing them when I want to just slip something on and I'm wearing my Earth shoes like I would wear my regular tennies. I love the feeling I get from both of them.

whoopseedaisee
07-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Here you all are!!!
I had forgotten to subscribe to the other thread so it got lost in the shuffle of my brain and then when I went looking for all y'all I got REAL confused!
I'm still chugging along here at the hotel. In the weeks to come we're going to be getting busier and busier leading up to the students coming back in a month (we're on a pretty big university campus -- they actually own our franchise). Food's been going well ... exercise is still pretty much non-existent, though.
I was debating getting the fitflops and still am debating it, but for right now I splurged on a pair of really cute mary-jane MTB's instead. The whole negative heel thing threw me for a loop the first couple of days with hills a especially stairs, but I think I'm getting the hang of it and I DEFINITELY feel it working my legs & butt. For $250 they'd BETTER! :D
Well, I hope y'all are willing to let me come back to play. This time I'll actually make sure I don't forget where you are!!!

jeanniethewicked
07-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Backwards and in high heels! That's exactly what we're doing! Awesome quote Vlad! And hang in there, Chances. Whenever you feel set back just refocus and keep on plugging away at it. It will happen.

Glad you found us again Karen! (Should one of us go bump the other thread with a link again, in case anyone else cares to re find us?) You sound like me, with the good food / no exercise plan. I'm about to change all of that, and I've been doing pretty well just trying to maintaining my 8 pound loss.

I had my arm x-rayed today, and what I have is a frozen shoulder. TTG it is the least of what it could have been. Basically your shoulder joint is surrounded by a sac of air, they don't really know why, but it is. Sometimes that sac goes flat. It's not punctured or anything, it just collapses. That's what mine did. So my joint is essentially locked in a small space. They gave me steroids and a list of exercises to do that should bring the sac back up, and I go in for a recheck on the 19th. He also okayed me for the treadmill, so yay!

New boobs will have to wait. :( Oh well...

I weighed today, at 190, and even though it's TOM that's the weight I'm posting to start at. I hope to make my 10% mini goal when I go back in to see him on the 19th. My meals are easy to tackle. I'm hoping to get an hour on the treadmill every day, 1/2 gallon of water in, and my execrcises I've been doing. I'll pick up the yoga again when I can move my armness.

And I forgot to go by the bookstore and get Twilight! AUUUUUGGGH!!!!

Maybe tomorrow, if I leave the bat cave. :bat:

Okay, I'm gonna go set tickers, etc. Smoochies all round!

Vladadog
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
oooh Jeannie, the shoulder sounds painful!

I did add a link at the end of the old thread pointing to this one back when we first moved. I haven't checked recently to make sure it's still there...

I wanted to share this excellent (in my opinion) food pyramid (http://www.chefhome.com/Nutrition/FoodPyramid.shtml) I found on the web. The USDA one (the old and the new) are crap (again, IMO) but I thought this one was pretty well thought out. I printed it out and have it on my fridge.

The problem I'm having with my diet right now is stuffing enough calories into a day. Yes, I could meet my 1600 goal by stopping at Burger King or with the help of Ben & Jerry's or Cheetos but I've found that when I'm eating healthy I have trouble. I can stirfry up a pile of veggies the size of my head, and add 6 ounces of turkey or shrimp and toss some nuts on top and it's waaay more than I can eat and not all that many calories. And on days I work I have trouble managing to eat more than a couple meals a day. Often I'm just too tired to be interested in food. Or the food I've eaten is so filling and satisfying that I'm not hungry.

Honestly, I never thought "not hungry" or "gee, I should eat more" would EVER be a problem for me. It's kinda novel.

I love the cool bat graphic... let's see if I can figure out how to add it...:bat:

jeanniethewicked
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
:bat::bat::bat: Ooooh that's us Vlad! We is bats, babes! :bat::bat::bat:

That pyramid does make more sense to me. A much more thought out plan in my opinion. However, it seems to be a good plan for someone who is already maintaining a healthy weight. And I am not. If I were following this pyramid while losing I would definitely cut to a fraction, anything that is not touching one of the outside sides of the pyramid. Some foods just burn faster.

I got curious about the WW points, I have so many friends doing that. So I googled the system. Couldn't really find it of course, but I did access enough lists to realize why the plan we did some years back worked so well. The WW plans assign every food a point. Our old plan didn't do that, but kept only the healthy foods from those lists on their list. THEN they took those healthy 0 point foods and called them free foods. THEN they broke the remaining foods into A, B, & C categories, A metabolizing fastest. Then you follow a portion controlled diet, mixing and matching your own portions from the list.

So I'm going back to this eating pattern.

Essentially, any given meal of mine is a portion controlled selection of A category foods, maybe some B. And as much free foods as it takes me to feel full.

Once I've made goal, or hit a plateau where I'd like to just relax and maintain for awhile, I will add back in some C foods, and not be so worried about getting a meal every 3 hours. I'm thinking with my half gallon of water, and treadmill action, that this should really give me some good results. Exercise is going to seal my fate. I have to get up or this plan of action won't pay off in cute clothes and new boobs.

That's my new mantra.

*** cute clothes and new boobs cute clothes and new boobs cute clothes and new boobs cute clothes and new boobs cute clothes and new boobs cute clothes and new boobs ***

Operator265
07-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Y'all might want to check out "Eat, Drink andd Be Healthy" by Dr. Willet of Harvard. It explains a lot of the science behind the new "unofficial" food pyramid. Then there is the follow up-"Eat, Drink and Lose Weight". BTW. Vlad, I believe the daily menus in it come to about 2000 cals, but he tells you what to drop to bring them down to around 1500 cals. I found these books to be very interesting.

whoopseedaisee
07-24-2008, 03:14 AM
I've been toying with such a mish-mosh of eating plans hoping that something will click and just feel right. Tried South Beach - found it too restrictive for my lifestyle. Went back to WW Online because I've done it before with good results, but don't really want to be tied to having to track my points all the time (and pay $17 a month to do so). Just reread my Biggest Loser books thanks to it being one of my greatest addictions (I'm currently watching Biggest Loser Australia thanks to YouTube) and think they might be on to something. They follow what they call the 4-3-2-1 pyramid -- 4 (minimum) servings of fruits and veggies, 3 (minimum) servings protein, 2 servings whole grain, and then 1 "extra" (which can be more than 1, but no more than 200 calories total daily).

Why can't this be easy????? Putting the weight ON sure was! ;)

Vladadog
07-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I just ordered "Eat Drink and Be Healthy" from my book swap club and put the "weigh less" book on my "wish list" since there wasn't a copy available right now.

As for eating plans - i'm just counting calories but mostly trying to stick to "whole foods" while I'm doing it. That part of it is going really well and easy for me. Finding time or interest for exercise is harder, but I'm working on it.

Operator265
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I've just reached excersise obsession. I have gotten to the point where losing weight isn't going to change my shape, just make it smaller. So, now I need to start muscle toning and sculpting.:strong:

I have been putting more effort into my walking:woops: and when I get back from Reno I'm going to get some free weights for my home gym. They had a bench on sale at Sears in Casper, WY, but when I got home the next day the sale was over. It should be on sale again in about a month, so I'll just do the standing work and use a chair until I can get one. I've even been using one of those grip strengtheners when I'm driving around on my haul truck and I got some pilates bands of which I'll put one in my lunch bag to use at work.

Well, gonna do my walking, shower and get to bed. Good Luck Everyone.:jig:

jeanniethewicked
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm mish-moshy too. Just trying to do the right thing every day and know that one day I will realize I'm back in shape! So far so good. I'm gonna have to go check out you tube for biggest loser now. Gawd I love the internet.

The doctor has me on a steroid anti inflammatory, which is ookey pukey. I know it's not the kind of steroid that bodybuilders use, but you know me and my "fat burning" soaps & lotions, etc. I'm gonna call these pills my "muscle building" pills. I'm also going to try to strap a book to the treadmill, so I can read while I walk. I'll let you guys know if I flop off it or not.

Exercise Vlad. C'mon, you know you wanna. I'm doin' it. All the cool kids are doin' it. Operator's doin' it. C'mon Vlad. It's fun. C'mon. I walked for 30 minutes last night. It was fun. We're all doin' it, Vlad. C'mon, you know you wanna.

I'm gonna go walk aroun de haus an tawk like Ahhhnold now, to ze if dis pills helps to make de muscles grow beeg and strong now.

Like Ahhhnold.

Vladadog
07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm gonna go walk aroun de haus an tawk like Ahhhnold now, to ze if dis pills helps to make de muscles grow beeg and strong now.

is it working? is it working?

I hear you on the exercise Jeannie, I surely do. I do take the dogs for walks in the woods - not terribly exercisic really but the whole trip home is uphill so I always get at least a good 15 minute workout right there. My co-worker has not brought his Wii in yet but he promised tonight he would on Monday. I am hopeful it will be my magic bullet.

Right now though, I'm losing weight really well without the exercise. Gives you an idea of just how much junk food I used to consume... I'm sure I'll plateau out in another 10 pounds or so and then I'll be more motivated to exercise. I guess I'll just enjoy the easy ride for now.

Vlad :bat:

whoopseedaisee
07-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm mish-moshy too. Just trying to do the right thing every day and know that one day I will realize I'm back in shape! So far so good. I'm gonna have to go check out you tube for biggest loser now. Gawd I love the internet..

The wonderful human being who runs the website realitytvfan.org is the one who has posted all the Biggest Loser Australia episodes and links to the proper youtube account through the website. I have to warn you -- they air it over there practically every night so each season has a LOT of episodes and you get a LOT more wrapped up in the contestants! (At least
I did!)

Gained .6 pounds according to the scale today. Not sure if it's because I did it at a different time than normal or if I'm just retaining water because my body fat % went down from last week and it just doesn't make sense to me. Ah well!

Once I finish the paperwork for the night I think I'll look into the Eat Drink books ... because lord knows I need something else to add to the mish-mosh! ;)

Vladadog
07-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Karen -

what do you think of the MTBs? They're out of my price range right now but I found them pretty intriguing. I think the fitflops, while fine, are a poor second to the MTBs.

whoopseedaisee
07-25-2008, 02:59 AM
I absolutely love my MTBs! I had a large portion of my left knee and tibia replaced/repaired about 6 years ago and was kinda worried that the shoes wouldn't work out for me because of it, but they're great. Everyone's always commenting on them at work -- which is really the only place I wear them since I don't want to wear them out!

Operator265
07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Oh yeah!!! Now that I've tested out the Earth Shoes($120 didn't give my heart the palpitations that $250 does), I want to get a pair of MBTs too. They are going to be my reward when I get my next bonus check.

I'll have the MBTs for my athletic shoes and get the Earths for my fashionable shoes.

Ya know, it's kinda scary. Now that I'm losing weight and getting into better shape, I'm turning back into a girl. EEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!

whoopseedaisee
07-26-2008, 02:44 AM
The MBTs actually are my fashionable shoes! I know most MBTs look a bit like clown shoes to a lot of people but the ones I have are Mary Janes and absolutely adorable (and work quite well with the skirt suit I have to wear to work every night). I'm still debating getting some fitflops or something for my walks ... and now that I'm going to have a bunch of overtime on my next paycheck (this is my "night off" and yet here I am typing away at the hotel), I'm looking into it more closely. Another pair of MBTs - no matter how tempting - would have to wait til my whopper of a tax refund and I don't think I want to wait until February!!! :D

jeanniethewicked
07-31-2008, 02:40 AM
MTBs... I'm terrified I would flop right over if I tried to wear those!

Well ze Ahhhnold thing isn't working, Vlad. At all.

I swear I have done everything right this week with the exception of getting enough water. I never get enough water. But I have gotten much more than my usual. I have eaten well, exercised every day, treadmill when I wake and bike when I get home from work. I've done the crunches and leg lifts etc. that I have been doing daily for about a month now. All week.

And I have gained a pound.

A friend from work says it's the medicine they have me on. She's been kept on steroids for awhile now and she says they're horrible. I'd have to agree. Unless I get really full and wait 10 minutes before I take them, I get sick sick sick. And no matter what they make me very tired within an hour. When the drowsy loopy feeling wears off a headache seems to set in. And apparently they make one chipmunky and bloated.

I hate it.

So, this week I am going to count my calories and make sure I can work off what I take in. Counting is new to me. Having meds interfere with losing weight is new to me. I intend to keep chipping away at it. Maybe when I come off them all my hard work will start showing. Anyone have any insight?

I am totally addicted to TBL Australia. I'm halfway through season 1. These people really inspire me. The calorie counting idea I got from Jillian. I am determined to be built like Jillian. If I can get the body, Hubby will buy me the boobs.

I wish I had a bully little personal trainer to whip my *** into shape!

I'd love to go girly shopping with you Operator! I can't wait to be able to buy cute little tops and stuff!

Does anyone use messengers like yahoo or anything? I don't turn any of mine on much, but I would if I thought I might catch one of you awake for some real chat while I pedal!

:bat::bat::bat: I will check in with you all later!:bat::bat::bat:

Vladadog
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Wiiiiiii!!!!!!

I'll be back with a longer report once I get some actual work done (work, the stuff they pay me to do...) but I just boxed 6 rounds with a co-worker and was quite warm by the end. Maybe it isn't exercise like going to the gym but it is more exercise than I usually get in a night.

Wiiiiiiii!!!

whoopseedaisee
08-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Dropped 2 pounds this week (hooray!)! Since I gained last week it's good to see a significant drop (well, significant for me, anyway).

We're super busy at the hotel right now and will be for at least the next month or so thanks to school starting up again. Fun times. Actually, the end of August is our state fair here in NY and the vast majority of the singers/bands/whatnot typically stay here so that SHOULD be fun. Crazy, but fun!

Ah well ... there's work to be done ...

Vladadog
08-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Jeannie,
I seem to remember when you go off that med you have a couple of days of really loopy behavior. And either WIDE AWAKE or super sleepy. I forget now. Something to (not) look forward to anyway.

I just boxed a bunch more with the Wii. Also a little bowling and some tennis (I seem to fall over a lot in tennis...). I can feel it in my arms and stomach muscles a bit. I can't afford to spring for a wii fit right now but I may look aorund on craigs list and see what other games are out there. I want one that keeps me moving like the boxing.

Anyway, I'm getting some exercise!

jeanniethewicked
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
WTG Karen! 2 lbs rocks! I'm not weighing again until next Tues or Wed. I'm still working my tushie off, so hopefully I won't see a gain again. If I do I'll chalk it up to medicine and keep on truckin.

Vlad the wii sounds SO much fun! I have a friend who has one. Maybe soon I can get over there and try it out. I can't afford one for myself either. Matter of fact they've just cut me 15 hours a pay period, so I don't know what I'm gonna do.

The bands sound really fun Karen! Who all will be staying with you?

Vladadog
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I made my first goal this week- to get down to only (only! ha!) 100 pounds to lose. At my weekly weigh in I was 248.6 (less 246 today but I only count the weekly and monthly weighs in on the 11th) so I've passed the first goal. Yippee!

No Wii last night - I was too busy reading the 4th book in the "Twilight" series which was released at midnight. Tonight I've got boodles of paperwork I neglected because I was caught up in the book but I hope to get in at least a little Wii time too.

Jeannie, the calorie counting forum here has been very helpful to me. I've gotten lots of good advice there. When will you be off the steroids?

Vlad

whoopseedaisee
08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Way to go on the first goal, Vlad!!! Some days (most days, actually) it feels like I'll never reach my first mini of getting back to my last know pre-pregnancy weight much less beyond that! I have a little notebook that I track all of my weights and measurements in as well as other little tidbits like healthy ranges for bmi/body fat, recipes, links ... and my goals. There are currently 5 goals in the book:
#1 - Pre-pregnancy Weight - 195lbs
#2 - Just "Overweight" - 172
#3 - High School Musical Weight (my Junior Year of high school back in '92) - 160
#4 - Healthy! - 145
#5 - The ever popular "So Unlikely It's Laughable" Goal of 122 ... which was Ali Vincent's final weight on the last season of our Biggest Loser. Never ever EVER gonna happen. Unless, of course, I lose a limb or two somewhere along the way.

Had a decent but incredibly busy weekend. Tom and I took Johnny out to my family reunion Sunday afternoon. It was originally supposed to be outside at a park with a little beach andhuge playground area and all sorts of stuff to keep him entertained and occupied with ... and then the weather was so crazy with random torrential downpours every so often that it ended up being moved inside to the fellowship hall of my uncle's church. Johnny was NOT impressed. We all still managed to have an okay time and ate FAR too much, but it probably would've been a lot nicer and we would have stayed a bit longer if the weather had cooperated. Ah well. Maybe next time. And, of course, I'm going to do my best to be extra-special-careful with what I put into my stomach between now and when I weigh again on Thursday. It's entirely possible that we won't get to see much of my family again until the holidays (Thanksgiving or Christmas) and I'm REALLY hoping to have made some decent (and visible) progress by then. It would probably help if I could figure out how to get off my butt and exercise more than walking .... but that's another gripe for another day!

jeanniethewicked
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
WTG Vlad on hitting a goal! You rock! I am hoping he will take me off the steroids on the 19th. If he doesn't mention doing so I'm going to ask for a shot of cortisone in my arm instead of the voltaren pills.

Karen, 122 is totally doable, but for now just focus on 172. I should talk, me focused on 175 and have gained another 3 pounds. Back up to 194. It's so depressing to be going in the wrong direction.

It has to be the medicine, I spent another week being very good AND exercising. A lot. My clothes fit a little better. I haven't been getting all my water, so this week I'm going to add tons of water to the mix and see if I can turn those numbers back down in the right direction.

I've been trying to get one of the 10 hour shifts at work, and just my luck they won't give part timers those shifts. Okay I guess I understand that. But then they cut us pt back to 6 hour shifts. This annoys me mainly because the 10 hour shifts were brought on as "a way to make the gas crisis easier on employees". Turning around and cutting us by $600 a month, (yet we still drive down as many days as usual) makes the gas crisis especially hard on us. :(

But, on the bright side, the bookstore has hours for me, thank the gods. And I do really miss being able to be there a lot. I will be working a mid-shift 11am - 5 pm, and then heading to the second job from 7-1. I will be exhausted for sure, but I will be able to start the Stephanie Meyer series! Yay!!

Vladadog
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
This has been a rough week for me, dietwise, and I'm dreading the weigh=in this weekend. Plus Monday is my 2 month new WOL anniversary and I'd like that to be "special" in a good way/weigh. I may postpone this weekend weigh-in to Monday since I drink more water the nights I work and so should do better on Monday.

I've had a friend visiting this week that I seldom get to see so while I've done really well, overall, compared to my old way of eating I have been eating out or eating over at friends' more this week. Certainly I've had more refined sugar and flour this week than in the whole past two months. We go out to dinner tomorrow night and then he's gone again till who knows when and I'll be back to my regularly scheduled eating patterns.... Good thing I don't have much of a social life in general... (Bad thing that another friend works at Ben & erry's so every get together entails pints and pints of ice cream. However, I am only have a little bit and not a whole pint to myself like in the bad old days...)

Jeannie, I am sure the steroids are responsible for your recent gain. I hope you can get off them soon!

Karen, like you I am hoping for visible progress by the holidays. Right now my "25 pounds gone" hardly show. I can see it a little in my face and in the mirror but my summer clothes are t shirts and loose fitting shorts so not exactly "revealing". Still, I feel better and I know I'm healthier and that's the important thing.

We haven't heard from Operator265 in ages (or Aud). I hope Operator didn't get run over by some giant piece of machinery!

Here's to negative weigh-ins for all of us night owls!:bat:

whoopseedaisee
08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
It's been a crazy week -- one that tacked .6 back on my body. Not really surprised since it seems to be the way things have been going -- lose one week, gain the next, lose the next. At least this means that next week I should see another loss, right?

My little guy had an evaluation this week for the Early Intervention program. I called them (under the advice of his doctor) because he's not speaking at the rate most 2 year old should ... and it turns out he's delayed by about 10 months for his verbal. He's above average for motorskills and right where he should be for socialization ... unless that socialization involves him having to pay attention/follow directions which he only did when he felt like it and couldn't figure out something better to do that day (they say he's "self-guided" which can be both a pro and a con). SO twice a week he'll have someone come in to see about helping him out and if/when they get an opening he might also start going to their pre-school type setting so he can get the added peer interaction.

I've always been a bit of an emotional comfort-eater and between the stress of the whole EI situation and the family reunion food (which was all eitr drenched in butter or cheese or both!) it's a wonder I didn't gain 80 pounds this week!!!

Vladadog
08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Karen, don't stress too much about the EI and where your son is compared to other kids the same age. Just like losing weight, we don't all go at the same pace. Just stay consistent, fair, & loving and he'll do fine. The EI program itself, at least around here, is great and I hope he gets to go to the pre-school. One of my god daughters was really non-verbal and honestly, I worried that she might be on the autism spectrum (one of the perils of working with kids at risk is you see their issues everywhere you look...). But she's 6 now and a regular chatter box. She was just going at her own rate.

I weighed in last night and still lost this week. I figure this week's Ben & Jerry's and Thursday's chocolate croissant will catch up with me next week. Last night I was a bit more "mindless cravings" at work, I'm sure I was coming off the ice cream and YUMMY cheese pizza high, but I stayed strong and didn't eat any of the junk food that was calling to me.

One more night of "lord, I wish I'd gotten more sleep yesterday!" and then I have 4 glorious nights off.

jeanniethewicked
08-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Karen, I agree with Vlad about the EI situation. Kids are just short people, they go at their own pace. He is a gorgeous child and all will be fine.

I've been okay on my meals, okay on my exercise, and better on my water. Am really dreading the weigh in this week. I haven't worked near as hard this week as the last 2, so I am expecting another gain. On the up side like Vlad I have one more day and then 3 off, maybe I can work enough in those three to make a difference.

I sure would love a few weeks in the Biggest Loser house.

Wonder whats come of Operator, Aud, & everyone else...

I'm going to go snuggle up to the bat-lings now :bat: Sweet dreams ladies!

Vladadog
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I found this on another thread here but thought I'd bring it back to share with my fellow sleep deprived graveyard friends... I've cut everything except the part that pertains to us...

Is Evening Eating Destroying Your Weight Loss Efforts?
Cues to Eating and How to Control Them
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian
sparkpeople.com

A growing body of research suggests a connection between obesity and lack of adequate sleep. Statistics show that overweight individuals sleep about 1.8 hours less a week than people of normal weight. Since the 1960's sleep duration for American adults has dropped by as much as two hours a night, while obesity has drastically increased.

Sleep is a regulator of two hormones that effect appetite, leptin and ghrelin. Leptin helps suppress food intake and stimulate energy expenditure, while ghrelin stimulates appetite, fat production, and body growth. When one is sleep deprived, the level of leptin drops and the level of ghrelin increases. The result is a drastic increase in hunger. One study reported a 24% increase in hunger, with excessive, uncontrollable cravings for calorie and carbohydrate packed foods such as cookies, candy and cake. It can all add up to a vicious cycle of late night binges, lack of adequate sleep, uncontrolled snacking, late night binges, and so on.

So, girlfriends! Get your sleep!!!:bat:

whoopseedaisee
08-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Wow -- the past few days have totally blown chunks as far as food goes ... and any sort of physical activity, too, thanks to massive amounts of rain and my seeming inability to get off my butt and do anything when I'm stuck inside the house! I think I might just start weighing every 2 weeks instead of every week ... especially since I have this habit of gaining one week, losing the next, gaining the next. Maybe if I only do every other week I'll just see losses :)

Thanks for all the good thoughts/inputs on the whole Johnny situation. Right now I'm playing phone tag with the coordinator to set up one more evaluation and then start things going. I know he'd be fine if we didn't do it this way -- that eventually he'd start talking because it's just what kids do (for the most part), but he's been getting so frustrated lately not being able to make his deepest desires known .... and WE get frustrated trying to guess if he's reaching for his juice cup, coloring book, or something else altogether! He has been improving little bits already with his "word play" -- most recently exclaiming "A clue! A clue!" every time he sees any kind of pawprint (gotta love Blue's Clues!!!) :D

Half an hour to go until I should start being able to get the big chunk of work done for the night ... then maybe I'll get to plow through an episode or two of Biggest Loser Australia before the wake-up calls start going off. Fun times.

Enjoy your nights off, ladies!!!

Operator265
08-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Hey all. I just wanted to check in and prove to everyone I'm OK. I got back from Reno and have been busy with other things. I'm trying to get back into a real life and be active in stuff that doesn't always involve my home and kids.

Hope everyone is doing well. Don't worry too much Karen.:hug: Children tend to develop on their own schedules. One of mine couldn't wait to crawl so she rolled everywhere at 2 months but then seemed to take forever to learn to speak clearly. That was just her way. BTW, her name is Jonnie, too.:D

Well, gotta get some sleep. We have to register for school in the morning. Love y'all!!!

jeanniethewicked
08-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Operator!! Hellos!

I've always wondered about that, Vlad... as I've been sleep deprived since my late 20s, and that's when I started putting on the weight as well. Plus babies. Plus shift work. I've weighed this week at 193, so that's down a pound but still I don't trust it. Ha! I'll get the cortisone shot and try try again. My arm seems a bit better anyway, so that's something.

I'm in season 2 of the Aussie BL. The Commando team is really making me feel better about being able to do this without living in a "Biggest Loser" house. Thanks for the new addiction Karen!

:bat: SMOOCHIES :bat:

Vladadog
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
What really drives me 'round the twist is when I have the night off and still can't get a good night's sleep. It's like I've forgotten how.... I try to do right by my body but it's not making it any easier for me....

There are no Leptin pills you can get to suppliment for lack of sleep. Alas. However, the omega 3's and 6's in fish oil are believed to help stimulate the release of leptin. Fish oils are the one food suppliment (other than the kids' vitamins when I remember to take two when I'm handing them out to the kids in the morning) I do. It's got to be high quality fish oil (preferably not Cod) and it's better if it isn't in a capsule - which means a $15 bottle from the refrigerator case at the health food store. A teaspoon a day WITH food - even with food it can be a little hard on your stomach the first day or so. It doesn't taste like anything (mine smells like lemon-lime but it doesn't taste like anything - it's just oily). This stuff is a good idea even if you aren't working the graveyard shift, but I think it is essential for all us vampires....:bat:

Vladadog
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, it's been quiet here on the night shift.

I spent two weeks messing around with the scale at work and being depressed that I have no idea wht my starting weight was or how much I've lost. It isn't a huge deal, because I know I've lost weight. But before I realized that the scale at work wasn't accurate at all I at least thought I knew if my calorie counting was working. Now I feel like I'm starting over trying to figure out if I'm eating the right number of calories or the right mix of carbs, fats, protein.

After two weeks of carrying the scale all over the house and trying it in different places I have a spot where it is reliable and where I can mark the floor to be sure to put it back very close to the same spot every time. Saturday morning I weighed myself and then stopped by my doctor's office on the way home to weigh myself on their big scale.

The hard part was resetting my ticker. I didn't gain 15 pounds but it sure felt like I did, having to move that number up.

So, it's back in the saddle again and it'll be weeks before I'm back to where I thought I was.

Hope things are going better for all you fellow vampires!