Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default Just curious

I am at my halfway mark now and I feel really good about it only taking 4 months to take off 51 pounds. All in all, it has came off pretty easy but I know there is going to come a point when it gets really hard. In your experience, at what point did things get hard and seem like you would never reach the end? I am figuring maybe the last 20 pounds? Or will it be sooner?

Also....I have seemed to lost more pounds than inches for whatever reason. I have lost inches but nothing earth shattering. Is there a time that the poundage slows and the inches take over?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on the loss! While the next 50 may take longer...you also look better and feel better while taking it off.

I can't speak to when the loss starts slowing, but I can tell you that inches lost seem directly related to exercise. When I did Optifast many years ago, the real difference in inches lost was that the group who exercised lost a LOT more inches compared to those who lost the same amount of pounds.

I've also found for myself that I lose weight in a "pyramid". My upper half loses inches first and I look very bottom heavy. Then gradually the fat seems to redistribute from my bottom to my top, evening back out into my normal shape, only smaller. (My face and breasts fill out again a bit.) Someone told me once that this is very common.)

Fifty one pounds down...that is AWESOME!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #3  
Meg

Wendy, I don't know how it works for most people but here's how it went for me. I lost the first 50 pounds in 16 weeks, so it came off fast at first. The next 50 took five months, though I was just as dedicated and doing all the same things. The last 22 pounds took three more months, so I was losing about 7 pounds a month by the end.

It never got harder really, it just got slower. I mean, it was hard in the sense that I had to be consistent, day in and day out, but by the time I had lost 100 pounds, the eating and exercise were second nature to me. It gets slower for all of us because our smaller bodies need fewer calories, so it becomes much harder to create a calorie deficit at a lower weight. So it's totally normal for weight loss to slow waaaay down as you get to the last 10 or 20 pounds.

You're doing so well! Keep it up and you'll reach your goal, even if the weight doesn't come off quite so quickly for the second half.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It definitely does change over time. I guess it has to do with how much you need to lose. I am trying to lose 100. I lost the first 30 in 3 months. the next 15 took me 3 months, then the next 15 took me 6 months, but I'm sure I could have done better if I was more strict. Although I was in a big hurry when I started and thought I could do 100 in a year, at my year anniversary I had only lost about 60. But I will say I've learned that it's just going to take as long as it takes, and as long as I'm making progress, I'm happy. As a matter of fact I am happy that I've had the time to learn new habits and let the emotional journey keep pace with the physical. After 13 months I really feel like I've made some permanent changes. I feel so much better 63 lbs. down that I am already enjoying lots of the benefits. That number I picked when I started was pretty arbitrary anyway.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I have to tell ya, it's hard for me. It was hard on Day 1, and it's hard now. It isn't quite as moment-by-moment as it used to be, but this whole thing is HARD for me. And there have been months I lost no weight. So maybe I am atypical, or maybe people just all lose differently. But I wanted to say that, just because I know there are people who fight for every pound even at the beginning and I don't want them to think that means they can't or won't lose the weight. Hardness does not equal impossibility.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote