Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Should I be feeling hungry all the time?

Hey all, I'm Sarah! I just started calorie counting/watching portion sizes this past Friday. I am still trying to lose the last 20 of my baby weight and want to lose an additional 45 or so after that. I was just wondering how I gauge if I am eating enough? I ate roughly 1200 calories yesterday and felt pretty good, but today I am starving! I am fairly active as I have two young children and really love being active. I just don't want to starve myself and then mess my metabolism all up. Should I eat something small when my stomach is growling? I know the difference between true hunger and head hunger, i've just been ignoring it thus far! ALSO, does anyone know how lack of sleep affects weight loss? My 7 month old still gets up a few times a night so I am running on about 4 hours of sleep per day. Thanks to anyone that replies!
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

At 5'9", 200+ lbs, and being fairly active, 1200 cals is too little for you. I'd be hungry too on that, and I'm 165 and 5'4".

I use the calorie calculator here:
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I have figured both the calories for my current weight and the calories for my goal weight and then sort of tweaked that to work for me. Currently I eat 1500 cals a day (and again, I weigh less and am shorter than you) and I am losing fairly steadily (when I stick to plan).

At a pure guess, I'd say you could probably lose on 1700 or 1800 cals a day, at least until you got down below 200.

And yeah, sleep or lack thereof can affect the scale. We just had a discussion about that somewhere here - I'll see if I can remember the thread and link it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Thank you!
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I approach this whole thing of calorie counting a little differently than most people. I don't shoot to stay within a range. I eat what I think is good for me to eat, figure out how many calories that comes to, and then up my physical activity (weights, running, biking) to create a deficit of 500 calories a day or so.

If I find it difficult to create the deficit, THEN I cut back on the food. But I think to stay within a range is a bit archaic, leads to food deprivation, and ultimately results in a lot of frustration and very little weight loss.

This either helped or totally confused you. I hope it helped.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I agree with photochick that 1200 is way to low for you. I am 215 pounds (and only 5'3" and OLD) and I get around 1800 calories per day (i'm also exercising 3-5 times a week) and I'm losing very very slowly but I'm losing and I"m NOT ever hungry. I follow a Lower GI plan and that also helps with the hunger...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am rarely ever hungry.

I eat very frequently. Every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so. I HATE that hungry feeling and do my best to avoid it. I also make sure to eat lots of protein and fiber laden foods, as these stick with me the most and keep my tummy full. I also eat LOTS of volume for my calorie allotment. Tons and tons of veggies.

I stay away from starchy foods, ya know the "white" stuff - sugary & floury, as these ALWAYS leave me hungry and looking for more grub in an hour or so after eating them.

I would also think with your scheduele and your current weight, that you may want to up your calories. I'd be sure to make those extra calories "count", by eating healthy low fat proteins and fiber. I'm not exactly sure what type of foods you are eating, but be sure to get in some healthy fats.

Through trial and error, a bit of experimentation and some patience, you're sure to find the right formula for yourself.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

If I ever feel hungry it is almost always out of bordeom and I just need to change whatever I am doing. Get up and go somewhere or get out in the yard and do something.

When you first start out it is hard to tell when it is justan appetite (emotional hunger) or when it is true physical hunger. But try and pay attention, once you figure this out it makes the weightloss journey alot easier.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote