South Beach Diet - I just need help and advice on a few different things

Fat Melanie
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I will listen to all advice with an open mind in a way that I haven't before, and I'm prepared now for really straight-up advice.

Also I apologize in advance for posting stupid questions like some of the following may be. :)

Okay, first off, I am going to start Phase 1 again on July 13th, (that's when I have my monthly food budget and we cut corners so we've got more $$ to work with this time.) I would be doing it right now, but I ran out of all my phase 1 foods and although I've got a freezer full of meat, for lunches and breakfasts I am having to incorporate some of the no-no's of Phase 1. So I'm gonna start again on the 13th, and before then I plan on getting as informed as possible, and making lists based upon the great advice I got under my thread about budgeting, and this time plan on being truly prepared. I am looking forward to it and HONESTLY want to do this right this time.

Until then, I'm eating as Phase 1'ish as possible, like I made tuna salad for dinner last night and ate it on cucumber coins rather than crackers. But I did eat leftover Chinese rice for breakfast as was necessary. I am just counting calories for now until the 13th when I start up with phase 1 again.

So, I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what sort of things I should do to prepare, if anything.

Also my 2nd question refers to exercise. I plan on doing at least 30 mins a day, maybe more. And I plan on doing strengthening exercises as well. This sort of stuff I'm starting today.

I've got an exercise DVD that is an hour long, it's pretty much cardio. What sort of strengthening exercises do you guys recommend? There's so many of them and I got some really good tips from a chick on one of the other 3FC forums, but there's no such thing as too many tips!

Also one of my main problems is laziness. How do I get up and get motivated, especially when it seems every few minutes I'm having to tend to my son? (Not that I mind that, but sometimes I think, my god, does he ever nap?) He is 5 months now and really doesn't nap throughout the day. He sleeps all through the night, wakes for a morning feeding, then naps another few hours, and then that's basically it for the day. How can I exercise and still manage to keep up with him?

Also everyday I HAVE to watch my Days of Our Lives, that is like, non-negotiable. Does anybody have any reccomendations as to what I can do during the program, like any sort of 'sit down' exercises or 'stand up' exercises I can do while still watching my beloved soap?

greeneyes490
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi there Fat Melanie......I don't have children so I am not able to give advice about caring for a 5 month old and excersie etc......BUT I have discovered an excellent work out dvd from Jillian Micheals (the tough trainer from the biggest loser)...it is called the 30 day shred and I used in june for about 3 weeks to fit into a bridesmaid dress (couldn't get the zipper up) and after the 3 weeks the zipper went right up (I was watching what I ate but was not on SBC)....and the best thing is it is only 30 min and there are 3 levels...i have made it to level 2 now.....the dvd is a short one but you have to give 100% and push yourself for the opportunity to get a "kick your butt" workout in 30 min instead of an hour or more... as for food it is hard to say what your likes and dislikes are....what i did the week before was right down a menu for my first week and refered to the book throughout that......I had to find a structured day that I could live with and not seem deprived of food or flavor.....so it took a couple of drafts to get a menu i was happy with but in the end I am not a person that can wing it on SBC....I need to know what to take out of the freezer and what veggies to make etc.....so for me that is best way to keep me on plan.......and in response to your days of our lives question if you have a treadmill then that would be a great option to do during the show but if you don't Jillian Micheals also has a great book out that has excersises you can do by looking at the pictures so you could do that during your show.......anyways I hope there was some useable info there :).......

Fat Melanie
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Jillian guest-appeared on Days of Our Lives a month or so ago, and she looks so buff and fabulous. It was because the host of Biggest Loser, Alison Sweeney, has played a character named Sami on Days of our Lives for years, and she had started gaining weight and lost it with the help of Jillian I believe, and being that Jillian’s on the Biggest Loser as well, she made a cameo playing herself in a scene on Days when Sami was at the gym, and her trainer was no other than Jillian. Thought that was pretty cool, though a not so subtle advertisement of the Biggest Loser show, lol. So yeah, I would really love to find that Jillian Michaels DVD, I can definitely fit in 30 minutes, I should have no excuses to not fit it into my schedule. Thanks for that tip! I’ll check out Walmart and see if they have it. I love your idea of drafting a menu I can live with before the week starts, then I would have no excuse to go off plan. That was part of my problem, I wouldn’t take out food for the next day or put stuff in the crockpot or defrost stuff, or really have a good idea of what I was gonna cook, so I would wing it, and then sometimes when I got lazy and didn’t know what I was gonna cook, I would turn to the evil foods out of hunger and that was a large part of my screw ups. Excellent advice, thank you. Definitely am gonna do exactly what you said. :D

femmecreole
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Try exercising WITH you baby...great for both of you:

http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/exercising_with_your_baby
http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/exercises-for-mom-and-baby.html

ladybugnessa
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
#1 channel some of your eating out budget to more in house food and be used to eating at home.

the best thing i can tell you to prepare is to read the book and also all the faq and stickies for the forum

throw out all the food you will no longer eat. if the bf balks, well you have a much bigger problem then dealing with sbd and how to learn to love this plan for the rest of your life.... when we got ready we ate all the bad stuff and what we did not eat we gave to friends... or threw out. if it's not i the house you can't eat it.

I did NOT eat out i phase 1 or early phase 2

i cooked in advance
i planned my meals for the week in advance
i did not plan but should have planned to spend about 1/3 more on my food budget than I did and that was buying JUST beachy food to replace the other stuff it was not IN ADDITION to other foods.... i am going to assume your baby is bottle fed and maybe even started on solids.... if i'm wrong more power to you... better for you and the baby.

zeffryn
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
The only experience I really have is raising my son. When he was 5 months, he was taking a lot of naps (at least two a day)...but, all babies are different, so...if you can't exercise in the couple hours that you have during the morning...exercise with him! Take him out for a walk in the stroller - it is great for him and you.

Not eating out or cutting way back as Nessa suggested is a great way to stretch your budget. Until you actually have that money that you spend on eating out in your pocket, you will never believe how much you actually spend!

Planning ahead is the best thing you can do on this diet. Seriously. It is very important.

Fat Melanie
07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks Femmecreole, what a fabulous website!!! My baby weighs 15 lbs so I ought to see some muscle tone after awhile, eh? Awesome!

Fat Melanie
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Ladybugnessa,

My BF always wants to eat out, or grab something from BK or Hardees (he is obsessed with burgers.) But I can always make myself something and let him go eat whatever. Matter of fact, I could freeze some stuff that I can just toss in the microwave. I will take your advice and not eat out anymore, because it always poses a problem for me in that I find it hard to say no to certain foods that would be detrimental to any healthy eating habits. If, on phase 2, if we do go out to eat at a restaurant, I can always order a salad, luckily for me, I do love salads. And I’ll tell BF that if he wants to go eat crappy food at a fast food restaurant rather than eat a home cooked meal, than he will have to take that out of his own pocket money, rather than our food budget. Maybe that will help me. I like the idea of planning my meals in advance, I could get to work one weekend and cook up a bunch of SBD friendly food, then freeze, and then I would have absolutely no excuse to not eat right. What sort of meals are good to freeze?

Yep my little boy has started on solids as of last week. He was breast fed but then for some reason, my milk production started decreasing and I had to start supplementing with formula which really disheartened me because I am a breastfeeding supporter. I am convinced that when I was producing a lot of milk, that’s mainly the reason why I shed my pregnancy weight besides the fact that 80% of the time, I ate pretty healthfully (with some binges and bad stuff here and there which are the bane of my existence.). Cause they say you burn calories by producing milk… and my doctor said it burns 500 cals a day or something or the other. but right now, I am giving him bottles of formula and trying to pump as much as possible to up my milk production (am I giving waaaay too much info right now? Lol. Sorry, I ramble on too much.)

Fat Melanie
07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Zeffryn, can we switch kids? No, just kidding, I love my son but he isn’t much of a napper. He’s napping right now, though, but he doesn’t nap for long, and then he demands so much attention. But god, he’s adorable. Wish I could get him on some sort of nap schedule, though.

Definitely will start taking him out in the stroller for walks, we’ve got a 2ndhand Graco that has those sort of wheels that will roll through ANYTHING, gravel, anything, yet it’s light to lug up and down stairs, so that works in my favor.

At everyone’s suggestion I’m very much done with eating out (unless BF absolutely insists, and then I’ll have salad), and also very much so gonna plan ahead. Since I’ve got about 2 weeks before I start phase 1 again, I have no excuse to not plan everything down to a T. I’m really excited that I can do it this time. Last time, I had done some pretty poor planning, skipping meals and getting hungry then eating the wrong stuff, and had already spent most of my food budget before asking for budget advice on the forum. I think those aforementioned reasons, and plus my tendency to binge had a lot to do with my previous failures in phase 1. If I plan ahead, I won't be able to make any excuse at all for not eating right. I just want to do this so badly. I’m gonna make sure to go back and read over all of you chicks’ suggestions under the budget thread so that when I do shop again, I am really prepared.

You guys, I really appreciate your help and for bearing with my non stop questions. :)

grneyedmustang
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
My BF always wants to eat out, or grab something from BK or Hardees (he is obsessed with burgers.) ________________________________________

Have you tried grilled bison burgers? I love burgers too...and the bison burgers are permitted on phase I (no bun of course). I make them with cheese (RF provolone or cheddar) and sauteed onions and mushrooms. I wish I would have taken some out today, because they sound good right now!

And I echo what others said about planning your meals. I plan mine a week in advance, and make sure I put the meat in the fridge to defrost while I'm cooking the current night's dinner. Sometimes, I make multiple servings of the meals that I cook for dinner (such as your stuffed pepper recipe) so on those nights where I'm too tired to "cook", I can just pop them in the stove to warm up for a few minutes.

Artemis__
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
For me, the way to do a completely clean Phase 1 was to plan my meals, as others have suggested, at least 4 days in advance. I usually planned a week in advance and did one big shopping trip to cover it.
I also made sure to eat my snacks, and took care to never feel too hungry.
I stayed completely clean the second time I did Phase 1 and I lost 11lbs. My starting weight was similar to yours.

My advice for exercise in P1 is to go easy on yourself. Don't have too high expectations. The withdrawal from the bad carbs can leave you feeling a little weak and tired. (But there are ways to avoid this). So dont set yourself too high of a challenge for your workouts. Walking should be fine.

And my last piece of advice for P1? To reiterate - keep it clean. Don't cheat. Dont tweak the plan. Read the book and understand the theory of body chemistry behind this plan. If you follow it strictly, your cravings will go away and you will lose weight.

ladybugnessa
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Melanie,

My DH eats out now without me if it's fast food or finds a place I can get a salad and chicken or salmon if its not....

it CAN be done!

zeffryn
07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks Femmecreole, what a fabulous website!!! My baby weighs 15 lbs so I ought to see some muscle tone after awhile, eh? Awesome!

how much did ds weigh when he was born?

I sometimes wish I had a smaller kid. People think he is a ******ed 4 year old...when he is only 2. Poor baby.

nullgal
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't have advice for you, i just wanted to say that eating tuna salad on cucumber coins is SUCH A GREAT IDEA! We planted six seedlings, three survived and they are taking over our garden! I have so many cukes I dont know what to do with them. I think I will take your suggestion and start using them like chips and crackers. Thanks!

WebRover
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Some other good ideas are here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2250834&posted=1#post2250834

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:16 AM
grneyedmustang, I have never tried bison, nor have ever seen it in the stores. I am quite curious about it and would very much like to find some. I had read a post of yours where you mentioned eating that, and I told my BF about how one of the chicks on the Weight loss forum I visit eats bison burgers. We thought it was very interesting and he said he wants to try it! I do too. What's it taste like, and where could I find it?? Did you try the lasagna peppers then? Were they good?? I'm looking forward to making them when I start phase 1 again! There's no doubt about it now, I'm gonna plan ahead and freeze a lot of stuff as well. It will save me!

Artemis, you live in England? That is way cool. I definitely plan on planning ahead this time, I want to do phase 1 completely clean, I don't want to cheat again, and a lot of the reason why I did was lack of planning, not eating the snacks as I should have, which left me hungry and then later, around dinner time, when I hadn't planned what to make, and it started getting late... I would cave into the cheats. Which is 100% my fault. If I plan ahead, I will have no reason to screw up. This is the conclusion I came to after fully evaluating why I did the things that I did in my first week of Phase 1. Seeing and realizing my mistakes, and hearing the great advice I'm getting from everyone, has given me a really great sense of what I need to do the next time around. How do you recommend avoiding the weakness and tiredness you mentioned? I definitely felt that when I was doing the first week. I felt like I had a virus. Then I ended up getting one, and that killed phase 1 for me, (although to be quite honest, I had already killed it myself by being an idiot who cheated and didn't plan ahead.) I really want to do this clean. I love how everyone keeps using that word, clean. I have decided not to set goals as far as having to lose a certain amount by a certain time, but one goal I do wish to attain is to do this clean.

Ladybugnessa, mmm, salad and chicken, yum! I would definitely eat that if we did end up going out to a restaurant and I wouldn't feel deprived. But I won't go to a fast food restaurant because I would be tempted to just get something cheap and easy off their value menus, and that won't help me at all. I will stay at home too and BF can go without me! Like you say, I will just say NO!! (I have been repeating this in my head to get it to stick itself into my subconscious to aid me in my weight loss journey.) And salmon, I have been wanting to try that. Would you believe I've never had salmon? I went to get a can of it the other day but BF said no, they have bones, and that we'll get some salmon fillets from the butcher section. I've gotta try it, it's healthy stuff, and I'm excited about trying something new.

Zeffryn, my ds weighed 9 lbs, 5 oz when he was born. And he was 21 inches long. All of the nurses kept talking about how BIG he was and said stuff like, "mommy sure fed you good in the womb!" I didn't realize he was that big because I never had had really any experience with newborns, and wasn't sure how one was supposed to look like and weigh. But everyone kept talking about how big he was. When we were taking him home from the hospital, in the elevator, a black woman said to me, "my lord, that's a chunky baby! That's one fat white baby!" (lol) Her adorable husband was like, "He ain't fat, he's healthy!!!" I was like, beaming with pride... later, as we were downstairs and I was waiting for BF to bring the car around to the front, she passes by me again and was like, "My GOD, that is ONE FAT BABY!" Heeeh. And a couple of weeks ago, this one older lady comes up to me, talking about my precious bundle of joy, wanting to know how many months he was. When I told her, she looked almost offended because she thought he was older, and then asked how much he weighed at birth. When I told her, she looked seriously offended if not quite HORRIFIED and said "well, I just don't know how you did it." But then started talking about how he was adorable, so I realized she didn't mean to be offensive. It was pretty amusing though.

I was thrilled at how fat he was. Everyone kept saying, "my GOD, he was how much??? You're a stronger woman than me!" I felt so proud to have born this baby that everyone seemed to think was so gigantic... I was also a fat baby, didn't weigh as much as he did but I had fat cheeks like he does, and a fat double chin. I know a girl who had a 10 pounder... at 4 months, looked like a 1 year old...

That's not nice of people to think your son is a ******ed 4 year old. My mother told me that somebody asked her, when I was a baby, if I was ******ed because I would bobble my head around a lot, quite spastically, as my son does! He's a bobblehead and he's got a really big head. My dad came over today and decided he would tell me that my son had a really big head, heheh. Then he decided to inform me that I too, had a gigantic canteloupe head as a baby. But you know, I bet your son is beautiful, some people just can't keep their opinions to themselves about other people's kids. How much did he weigh when he was born? How many kids do you have btw? My ds is my first. Sorry so long, btw, I'm just enchanted on the subject of my son, still can't believe that I'm a mommy now. It was just the year before last that I became legally able to drink... I just can't believe I'm a MOMMY!!! :d (ramble, ramble, ramble. I ramble.)

Nullgal, I'm so happy that you liked my idea of the tuna salad on cucumber coins. It is really delicious, the crisp fresh taste ot the cucumber is way better than some old nutritionless cracker. I wish I had a garden, but the landlord won't let us touch anything in his yard. But, our friend/neighbors said we can have as much stuff as we want... it definitely saves some of my budget money, fresh produce is expensive! Serving suggestion: you could top the tuna coins with a sprinkling of reduced fat cheddar, or a baby spinach leaf for some extra veggie power and vitamins. Yum! (or, some parsley if you're serving it for company, 'cause it looks pretty).

Webrover, excellent post. After all of the great advice I've been getting, I've been planning to plan ahead and to freeze meals in advance as well, but I didn't think to prepare snacks ahead of time too. That was part of my problem, I would skip the snacks when I didn't feel like having to cut up stuff and prepare it, and then be starving by dinner time. Doing everything in advance is going to be the tool for success that I need. Thanks again for linking me to your post!

CyndiM
07-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Melanie-

IMO the hardest thing you are going to need to do to succeed is learn to be a little selfish. Being a Mom and constantly putting ourselves last is one of the things that helped a lot of us get and stay fat. Being selfish means buying, cooking and eating the foods your body needs and taking time to exercise. Those things aren't luxuries that you get to do once in awhile (like bubble baths), they are things you need to do every day. Seems like you let your BF control a lot of your decisions around food. He needs to either be supportive or get out of the way. That doesn't mean you two can't figure it out, but if he really needs fast food he just needs to go do that on his own and not try to guilt you into going, and eating that crap, too.

The other side of being selfish to get healthy is that improving your eating habits and making physical activity a priority in your life are two of the most important things you can do for your baby. You will be a better Mom if you're fit and healthy and he will learn good habits from you right away. Just my $.02 :)

I'm a huge fan of the book Thin for Life. It's been my go to book from early on because I knew I could lose some weight but I also know that most people gain it back as I have in the past. It will help you learn the changes you need to make to keep any weight you lose from coming back with friends.

femmecreole
07-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a "big headed baby". I had one too. My oldest son (middle child). It was next to impossible to get a shirt over his head and then horrible trying to get one off. I had to put button up shirts on him for a couple of years till he "grew into his head". He also had "fat rolls" everywhere and I was just nursing him till he was about 6 months old. He had a big old head till he was about 6.

But, he and his head turned out nicely, no? (http://www.vieuxcarre.com/graham2.jpg)

Schmoodle
07-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Cat, that's a handsome boy you've got there!
zeff, I was laughing at your post. For my girls it's the opposite. DD2 is 10YO and wears a size 6/7 kids. She gets so irritated because people assume she's about 6 or 7 years old.

grneyedmustang
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
grneyedmustang, I have never tried bison, nor have ever seen it in the stores. I am quite curious about it and would very much like to find some. I had read a post of yours where you mentioned eating that, and I told my BF about how one of the chicks on the Weight loss forum I visit eats bison burgers. We thought it was very interesting and he said he wants to try it! I do too. What's it taste like, and where could I find it?? Did you try the lasagna peppers then? Were they good?? I'm looking forward to making them when I start phase 1 again! There's no doubt about it now, I'm gonna plan ahead and freeze a lot of stuff as well. It will save me!

I've seen it at Kroger, but lately, I've been getting the patties from Trader Joe's, because they come in packs of two which are great! The meat tastes like ground beef, and is lower in fat than ground beef. Here's a really good video on grilled bison burgers: http://www.highplainsbison.com/hpb/Shop?dsp=80805#popper
I season mine with minced onions, hickory smoke seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I ate the SB mashed potatoes as the side, and it was deelish!

The lasagna peppers were very good! I made two, ate one for dinner and the other one for lunch the next day. I'm going to try the taco bake when I get back from vacation.

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Melanie-

IMO the hardest thing you are going to need to do to succeed is learn to be a little selfish. Being a Mom and constantly putting ourselves last is one of the things that helped a lot of us get and stay fat. Being selfish means buying, cooking and eating the foods your body needs and taking time to exercise. Those things aren't luxuries that you get to do once in awhile (like bubble baths), they are things you need to do every day. Seems like you let your BF control a lot of your decisions around food. He needs to either be supportive or get out of the way. That doesn't mean you two can't figure it out, but if he really needs fast food he just needs to go do that on his own and not try to guilt you into going, and eating that crap, too.

The other side of being selfish to get healthy is that improving your eating habits and making physical activity a priority in your life are two of the most important things you can do for your baby. You will be a better Mom if you're fit and healthy and he will learn good habits from you right away. Just my $.02 :)

I'm a huge fan of the book Thin for Life. It's been my go to book from early on because I knew I could lose some weight but I also know that most people gain it back as I have in the past. It will help you learn the changes you need to make to keep any weight you lose from coming back with friends.

So am I! I read it over and over again and refer back to it constantly. I like how it doesn't give you any one plan that 'works', it talks about doing what works for you, the individual. It's a really motivating book, found it at a 2nd hand store last year.

I'm going to take your advice and be a little selfish. I will make a grocery list and buy what I need to buy, whether BF likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, he can go to his disgusting little greasy Burger King (where it's really unsanitary and he gets sick from eating there everytime!) while I eat something homecooked. He generally likes my cooking so if he wants to eat, he's going to have to eat what I make. I've felt guilty about doing that before, buying all of the stuff that he refers to as my "diet" food, but if I can make it into a delicious meal, he should have no problem. I'm getting tired of his mocking tone towards the SBD. Tricked him into eating the taco stuffed peppers when I was first doing phase 1 and he loved it. I can try to do stuff like that again. Bwahha.

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about a "big headed baby". I had one too. My oldest son (middle child). It was next to impossible to get a shirt over his head and then horrible trying to get one off. I had to put button up shirts on him for a couple of years till he "grew into his head". He also had "fat rolls" everywhere and I was just nursing him till he was about 6 months old. He had a big old head till he was about 6.

But, he and his head turned out nicely, no? (http://www.vieuxcarre.com/graham2.jpg)

Oh I know what you mean, it's really hard to pull shirts over my boy's head as well. He screams and turns red with fury.

Your son, if you don't mind me saying so, is HOT. He's really, really good looking. Job well done!!

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I've seen it at Kroger, but lately, I've been getting the patties from Trader Joe's, because they come in packs of two which are great! The meat tastes like ground beef, and is lower in fat than ground beef. Here's a really good video on grilled bison burgers: http://www.highplainsbison.com/hpb/Shop?dsp=80805#popper
I season mine with minced onions, hickory smoke seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I ate the SB mashed potatoes as the side, and it was deelish!

The lasagna peppers were very good! I made two, ate one for dinner and the other one for lunch the next day. I'm going to try the taco bake when I get back from vacation.

The burgers sound really good. I've gotta check the video out on my mom's computer though, she's got DSL, I've got horridly slow dial up!

I am glad the lasagna peppers were good! :D I'm gonna try the taco bake as well, that stuff sounds really good and it's something the BF will eat without being prejudiced because it's "that SBD food" as he says, with condenscension.

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
cat....your boy. ;) I don't see a ring on his finger...I have some single friends....eh? eh?

Mel, try and get those shirts that have the snaps by the neck. They are the only kind we could use for quite some time.

I just went and bought new summer t-shirts for the boy yesterday...when I realized he was walking around in belly shirts. I bought 3T's and they fit him perfectly. I hope he stops growing so fast soon, this is costing me a fortune! He's 40 inches tall as of today which is a 1.5 inch growth since the last week in may.

edit: omg. Mel, the taco bake is freakin' good. Seriously. I add more beans to the bottom layer, but that is just me. I couldn't get a single can of beans to make a nice fat layer, so I added a can of black beans in as well. but really, omg, good.

Fat Melanie
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Hahaha, yes, I didn't notice a ring on that handsome finger either.

Hehe, belly shirts. My boy looked like he was wearing little belly shirts by the time he was 2 months, nothing fit him. I hit up the 2nd hand shops and found some 'new' used clothes. Right now he's wearing a girly blue gown because a lot of his 3-6 month stuff isn't really fitting anymore. Time to shop again. Yeah, I like those snap neck shirts, don't have many but I'm able to get them over his beach ball head (with some struggle and effort, however.)

I can't wait to try that taco bake, seriously. mmmm! Bf will devour it, I imagine.

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
If we find out that the new baby isn't a boy, I would be happy to send you some clothes that he wore previously. I don't have the room for them anymore and he has a TON. Grandparents were very, very generous. ;)

If you have a Once Upon A Child in your area, definitely check it out. When DS would grow out of a size, I would sell some and use the money to buy new stuff.

femmecreole
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Ah, no, no ring on Graham's finger. He is graduating from LSU in December in construction management and made sure he kept himself unattached till he gets that piece of paper. The boy is more interested in making money than settling down right now. (that is a nice way to say he's cheap when it comes to spending money on the ladies. He probably still has every penny he ever earned) He wants land, land land and more land...then he MAY think about getting a girl.

zeffryn
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Easy way to get a girl if you have a lot of money ;)

I was meaning to ask you...how long is Crescent City Farmer's Market open? We're thinking about coming down for a overnight and then hitting the markets in the morning. Any other good markets (other than the French Market)? We might have to wait until we get back from Minneapolis in August though, as DH is working all the time on his final parts of the dissertation.

WarMaiden
07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Melanie, it just may turn out that your BF really does enjoy the "diet" food you cook...and it will certainly be much, much healthier for him than fast food is. My husband always resists when I want to change things up in our diet, but he's willing to try stuff. This week I made a spinach-basil pesto that he thought was fabulous, even though he's never liked pesto before. He loves sweet potato "fries," even though he'd never before liked sweet potatoes. We made a Brazilian black-bean stew he thought was awesome...etc etc.

Though it feels "selfish" and demanding to put your foot down and say, "This is how I'm eating now," it's really not. The men in our lives (speaking for pretty much all the women I've ever known) depend on us to pay more attention to diet and health than they do. Traditionally, in American culture and many other cultures, it's mom who decides how the family gets fed. Exercise that authority you've been given and just do it, for the good of yourself and your baby and your BF. Perhaps it's just my perspective as a mom, but in a certain way I think my husband needs a mom to tell him (lovingly, non-naggingly) what to eat, too ;)

pamatga
07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
First of all, you girl are not the only chick here who is trying to budget. Right now, I don't think there is a person on this planet who isn't being affected by the rising cost of fuel, etc. In the other post about budgeting, I read all of those suggestions others gave you, copied and pasted them in a file folder for later reference. I learn something new every day. We have some really sharp chicks here! I have learned a lot! Just keep your ears open---and your mind too!

Well, when my daughter was a baby, I basically rearranged my life around hers. I napped right along with her when she would (usually she would lay awake with those big eyes of her and look around the room until I told her it was okay to go play-ha-I was the one sleeping!) Try best to do that. He isn't going to be a baby very long and, yes, one day you will look back at this time and wish you could hold him in your arms. It is a very short time.

I was fortunate to be a stay-at-home Mom for as long as I could fight my ex-husband's family about it. Yes, it came at a price. I didn't have two nickels to rub together. However, I still persisted as long as I could. I really think this is a "profession" that is very under-rated. Good kids come from good parenting. That's another story....

One thing that I would recommend is to start looking at overall activity during the day instead of just that 30-60 minutes of planned aerobics, etc.I don't know if you live in an apartment or a house but if there are stairs use them. Don't be efficient either. Look for excuses to go up and down those. Now, that the weather is nice, bundle your son up and head for a park. If you have a stroller, walk him. He needs the fresh air and stimulation. And, you Mom, need to unwind the stress you feel. It will benefit you both. You can point out birds or other things, it can be educational. He can hear words, associate them with things you point out and maybe even begin talking earlier as a result. None of this that I am saying costs one nickel.

As for food, I hear where you are coming from. I thought zeffren really had some amazing ideas awhile back on budgeting for food. There are a lot of books out there on "cheap eats". One area that I really needed to do was learn to duplicate or mimic restaurant "favorites" but in a healthy and cheap way. Now, I can make meals that taste like their more costly (both in terms of money and fats/sugars) counterparts so I don't feel deprived at all that I am not going through a drive-through every whipstitch.

You can be "economically challenged" (I am too) and still have a beautiful, quality way of life. It takes being resourceful but you will be proud of your efforts when it is all said and done. I know my DH appreciates all that I do. He said to me the other day, I wish I made more money. I said to him, do you hear me complaining. He said No. I said then wish for something else.

Keep working it, girl, you can do this!:hug:

lightfello
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
If you have ON Demand with your cable, you can try out different fitness programs. This month, Jillian Michael's Shred program is one of the ones available. I'm not sure about the length but they'd be worth looking into.

Fat Melanie
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Zeffryn CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate your offer, let us know if the baby turns out to be a girl, & me and BF will purchase the clothes from you and pay S & H. Once Upon A Child actually sounds very familar... I think there might be one a few counties away, a coupla hours or so. I'll check that out someday, maybe when gas prices go down, if ever.

Warmaiden, hahaa, yes men can be like children sometimes! I'm gonna just, take things out ahead of time, cook what I want to cook, and then put it on the table with the expectation that he will eat it. Hopefully that sort of authority will do the trick. He did love some of the recipes I tried out on him from the phase 1 forum so hopefully he'll realize that we're living a different lifestyle now and will go along without complaint. (Hopefully...)

Pamtaga, I'm with ya, I copied all of that stuff too and pasted it into a word document to read over and over. Zeffryn and Kaplods and everyone else (I can't remember all of the usernames, but I give you all props!) gave some awesome advice.

My son is odd, he doesn't nap much during the day, but he USED to nap when he was a younger baby. He would wake all through the night and I'd be very tired during the day, so I'd take naps. And my BF's family- particularly the domineering mother who's the bane of his existence (and now, mine as well), would insult me left and right about it, telling everyone who would listen that I supposedly slept all day (lies!) And all sort of stuff. She's the worst troublemaker... I tried so hard to be her friend, but she's got a problem with anybody! (namely, anyone that gets with her son, because she ruined her son's first marriage, got social services on the ex wife and took their child away.. they, unbeknownst to her, have come to a civil custody agreement and will be getting their daughter back next week... which is awesome.) This evil woman refuses to have anything to do with our son now because she doesn't want to follow the parent's rules, and thinks she should be raising him HER way... and wants me to 'get off my butt and go to work so SHE can watch him during the day to make sure he's taken care of..." (omg) .....Has nothing to do with him anymore, at all, won't until I'm out of the picture, and told me that she will then have full control over my son (how does she figure?) and will tell him that she supposedly wanted to see him and always loved him but I tried to keep them apart. Interesting she says that, because she tells my BF he needs to choose between his two children and says that the daughter should come first. No equality. Anyway, the reason why I'm going offtopic and getting all personal is because you struck a cord with me when you said you had to fight your ex husband's family to do what you wanted to do. Sometimes families can be so interfering, can't they!? Sorry to go so offtopic though. But I understand where you're coming from. I don't know if his family was as bad as my bf's but they don't sound so great.

I've definitely got some stairs I could make use out of, I could do little 5 minute bursts of running up and down here and there throughout the day. Today I did 62 minutes of cardio, marching intensely to different songs, and it was fun. But I won't have time for that everyday so little bits of activity here and there is a good idea. I'm looking forward to taking my son on walks.

I'm glad I'm not the only economically challenged one... (well I don't mean that I want anyone else to struggle as I do sometimes, but I'm glad someone understands is all I mean). as I go along, I'm learning how to do things more economically based on my bf's not so great pay. We agreed on me staying at home and we don't care who has anything to say about it, like his mom, who never ever worked and has been having babies since 16, so she can't judge me for staying at home with my child. She just wants to be in control over EVEEERYTHING, and that's what it is. Anyway, like I said sorry for going on about stuff like that, but just wanted to let you know, I've been there too and understand what it's like!

murphmitch
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Yep my little boy has started on solids as of last week. He was breast fed but then for some reason, my milk production started decreasing and I had to start supplementing with formula which really disheartened me because I am a breastfeeding supporter. I am convinced that when I was producing a lot of milk, thatís mainly the reason why I shed my pregnancy weight besides the fact that 80% of the time, I ate pretty healthfully (with some binges and bad stuff here and there which are the bane of my existence.). Cause they say you burn calories by producing milkÖ and my doctor said it burns 500 cals a day or something or the other. but right now, I am giving him bottles of formula and trying to pump as much as possible to up my milk production (am I giving waaaay too much info right now? Lol. Sorry, I ramble on too much.)

Melanie, if you're pumping to up your milk production, a few pointers...You really should start with Phase II of SBD. Phase I is not recommended for nursing moms. You also need adequate calories, at least 1800, and extra milk products. Some sources say nursing moms on SBD need 3 cups of milk a day. Lower calorie diets can affect your milk supply and the quality of the milk produced. I am a postpartum nurse and to increase your milk you need to eat a quality diet, drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest & be religious about pumping every 3 -4 hours during the day and probably at least once during the night. Just thought I'd chime in here if you want to continue with the breastfeeding. It really is so much better for your baby. :)

zeffryn
07-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Mel,

If it's a girl, don't worry about purchasing the clothes...just pay the shipping and they are yours. You have no idea how nice it would be not to have boxes and boxes of clothes in the closet. If nobody takes them, they are just going to get donated anyway...and I would prefer someone to take them that I know could use them. :)

Hopefully we'll know within the next few weeks. I would like to know before we go to Mpls. to visit my family....if not, we probably won't know until close to September.

JellyBean32882
07-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I will listen to all advice with an open mind in a way that I haven't before, and I'm prepared now for really straight-up advice.

Also I apologize in advance for posting stupid questions like some of the following may be. :)

Okay, first off, I am going to start Phase 1 again on July 13th, (that's when I have my monthly food budget and we cut corners so we've got more $$ to work with this time.) I would be doing it right now, but I ran out of all my phase 1 foods and although I've got a freezer full of meat, for lunches and breakfasts I am having to incorporate some of the no-no's of Phase 1. So I'm gonna start again on the 13th, and before then I plan on getting as informed as possible, and making lists based upon the great advice I got under my thread about budgeting, and this time plan on being truly prepared. I am looking forward to it and HONESTLY want to do this right this time.

Until then, I'm eating as Phase 1'ish as possible, like I made tuna salad for dinner last night and ate it on cucumber coins rather than crackers. But I did eat leftover Chinese rice for breakfast as was necessary. I am just counting calories for now until the 13th when I start up with phase 1 again.

So, I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what sort of things I should do to prepare, if anything.

Also my 2nd question refers to exercise. I plan on doing at least 30 mins a day, maybe more. And I plan on doing strengthening exercises as well. This sort of stuff I'm starting today.

I've got an exercise DVD that is an hour long, it's pretty much cardio. What sort of strengthening exercises do you guys recommend? There's so many of them and I got some really good tips from a chick on one of the other 3FC forums, but there's no such thing as too many tips!

Also one of my main problems is laziness. How do I get up and get motivated, especially when it seems every few minutes I'm having to tend to my son? (Not that I mind that, but sometimes I think, my god, does he ever nap?) He is 5 months now and really doesn't nap throughout the day. He sleeps all through the night, wakes for a morning feeding, then naps another few hours, and then that's basically it for the day. How can I exercise and still manage to keep up with him?

Also everyday I HAVE to watch my Days of Our Lives, that is like, non-negotiable. Does anybody have any reccomendations as to what I can do during the program, like any sort of 'sit down' exercises or 'stand up' exercises I can do while still watching my beloved soap?

Finally I have found someone who watches Days Of Our Lives too, lol

Laziness is my problem too, I had more energy when I used to take diet pills, which I could not afford so stopped taking them.

Fat Melanie
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
If you have ON Demand with your cable, you can try out different fitness programs. This month, Jillian Michael's Shred program is one of the ones available. I'm not sure about the length but they'd be worth looking into.

Aww maaaan! I don't have cable right now. That sounds really cool though, and I will keep that in mind if we ever get cable again. (hey, gas prices go down, and maybe.)

Fat Melanie
07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Melanie, if you're pumping to up your milk production, a few pointers...You really should start with Phase II of SBD. Phase I is not recommended for nursing moms. You also need adequate calories, at least 1800, and extra milk products. Some sources say nursing moms on SBD need 3 cups of milk a day. Lower calorie diets can affect your milk supply and the quality of the milk produced. I am a postpartum nurse and to increase your milk you need to eat a quality diet, drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest & be religious about pumping every 3 -4 hours during the day and probably at least once during the night. Just thought I'd chime in here if you want to continue with the breastfeeding. It really is so much better for your baby. :)

That's some really good info, thanks! The only thing is, I think I am 'dried up' so to speak, maybe for good. Yesterday I pumped out probably just a drop... And when I was pumping every 4 hours, my milk production started decreasing. Well it's not because of the every 4 hour pumping, but sometimes I would get lazy about it and then not pump for more than 4 hours, and there was a few times when we'd go somewhere for hours, and I wasn't able to pump. Slowly it started decreasing until it got to this point. The health department told me to pump every hour to increase my production but I've tried that with no results, but then again, that's probably 'cause I would get tired of having to do it every hour and would put it off a few hours, then try again. And I never really ever saw any increase.

I do know it is my fault for my decreased supply and I don't want to stop giving him breastmilk, but he hasn't had any for over a month, with the exception of an ounce or two (collected over 2 days, as the milk kept decreasing and decreasing) mixed in with formula. Is pumping every hour the right solution? How long would it take to build it back up? (I don't mean to hit you up for medical advice just because you're a nurse, you probably get stuff like that all the time, but I was just wondering about those two questions, lol. ) :)

Fat Melanie
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Mel,

If it's a girl, don't worry about purchasing the clothes...just pay the shipping and they are yours. You have no idea how nice it would be not to have boxes and boxes of clothes in the closet. If nobody takes them, they are just going to get donated anyway...and I would prefer someone to take them that I know could use them. :)

Hopefully we'll know within the next few weeks. I would like to know before we go to Mpls. to visit my family....if not, we probably won't know until close to September.

Thank you, that's really cool of you. Congrats again... ooh I can remember all over again, the feeling of excitement right before finding out the sex of the baby.. that was an amazing feeling. :D

Barb0522
07-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I pumped twice a day at work until Brian was a year old and then nursed him the rest of the time. I didn't cut him totally off until he was 3 but he wasn't nursing much at that time (just at bed). I found it hard to produce as much during pumping as I could when nursing. I did use fenugreek and Blessed Thistle herbs to help with the production. I'm not a lactation consultation by any means but if I was in your situation and wanted to build up my supply, I would relax and try to nurse when your son is next ready for a bottle. Let the suckling help to build up your supply and then give him a bottle after he tries for awhile. If you keep it up, with pumping in between, you might be able to re-establish your supply.

There are also some herbs that will reduce your supply. If I remember correctly, sage is one (but Brian is about to turn 11 so it's been quite awhile since I nursed).

Fat Melanie
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Finally I have found someone who watches Days Of Our Lives too, lol

Laziness is my problem too, I had more energy when I used to take diet pills, which I could not afford so stopped taking them.

Yay! Who's your favorite character/s? I am in love with EJ. Okay, I am in lust with EJ. He's the most sexiest beautiful man I have ever seen... (oh, my bf would just cry if he saw half the things I say about celebrity men on this forum.) I like the new John, the old John made me vomit, what with he and Marlena's disgusting love-for-all-time-slobber-slobber-smooch crap. At the same time, I feel bad for Marlena and wish she could have John back... but I just think the new John is amusing. I was really bored with the whole Max thing, where he was all "I'm a brooding young man with an attitude problem and many secrets", and Stephanie's "Max, just talk to me, Max! Just tell me what's going on!" over and over and over and over again. I was just like, god, enough already. Until we viewers found out who Max's daddy was, and it got a WHOLE lot more interesting. I want Sami to be with EJ... was really annoyed when Nicole came back to Salem, never liked her, but now, I'm really starting to like her and hope she can finally find someone who loves her...

Urgh, I act like I know these people and this stuff is real. But I've been watching the show since I was a kid, like 10 or so I think, in the summers. I am angry that Wimbledon is on and I can't watch it...

Anyways, I have dabbled in diet pills once or twice in the past, but I am honestly scared to take them. I don't know what could happen to me.

femmecreole
07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Zeff, just saw your question about the farmer's market...
here is the info:
http://www.crescentcityfarmersmarket.org/
It is s a lot of fun and also take a look at the recipe section...many "beachy" things and easy to convert recipes.

CyndiM
07-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks Cat :) I can't make it to the market (kind of a long trip for produce ;) but farmer's markets and CSAs have the best recipes!

murphmitch
07-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I do know it is my fault for my decreased supply and I don't want to stop giving him breastmilk, but he hasn't had any for over a month, with the exception of an ounce or two (collected over 2 days, as the milk kept decreasing and decreasing) mixed in with formula. Is pumping every hour the right solution? How long would it take to build it back up? (I don't mean to hit you up for medical advice just because you're a nurse, you probably get stuff like that all the time, but I was just wondering about those two questions, lol. ) :)

We have adoptive moms who produce milk if they start pumping & keep at it. So it is possible, but not likely if you are irregular with pumping, don't eat enough, etc.

Our lactation nurses also recommend the fenugreek to increase production.

Fat Melanie
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I pumped twice a day at work until Brian was a year old and then nursed him the rest of the time. I didn't cut him totally off until he was 3 but he wasn't nursing much at that time (just at bed). I found it hard to produce as much during pumping as I could when nursing. I did use fenugreek and Blessed Thistle herbs to help with the production. I'm not a lactation consultation by any means but if I was in your situation and wanted to build up my supply, I would relax and try to nurse when your son is next ready for a bottle. Let the suckling help to build up your supply and then give him a bottle after he tries for awhile. If you keep it up, with pumping in between, you might be able to re-establish your supply.

There are also some herbs that will reduce your supply. If I remember correctly, sage is one (but Brian is about to turn 11 so it's been quite awhile since I nursed).

I would love to be able to give my son breastmilk till about 2 or 3. I know a lot of people stop around 6 months to a year but I want to give him breastmilk for longer than that. It's cool to see another person who did the same.

I've heard of that fenugreek, I'm gonna find it and try it. Thanks for the reminder. I got so frustrated though, when trying to nurse, because my son couldn't latch on for anything. I worked with the hospital's lactation consultant, the nursery nurses, etc, and no one could seem to help. Plus my nipples apparently seem to be inverted (I never noticed that before) and it made it harder for him to latch on, only a pump seems to draw them out (sorry, I know, waaay too much info about my body parts! :lol: )

Fat Melanie
07-05-2008, 11:49 AM
We have adoptive moms who produce milk if they start pumping & keep at it. So it is possible, but not likely if you are irregular with pumping, don't eat enough, etc.

Our lactation nurses also recommend the fenugreek to increase production.

Cool, I'm definitely going to find the fenugreek. I'll try to start pumping and keep at it. Thanks for the info! :D

pamperedsteph
07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I have 3 kids. I made mistakes after the first 2 but am doing things differently now. First of all...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT EJ??? Sorry, but I'm a DOOL fan, too! You've got to make YOU a priority. That means not blaming your baby for not being able to get your work out in. Here's what I'm doing that has really been working...

Do you strengthening during DOOL. First segment, sit ups. As many as you can until you have to stop. Rest and do it again until commercial break. During the first commercial break, sit-ups. 2nd segment, run in place or do jumping jacks (don't FF). See? You can make a list of all the exercises you can do in your living room. Just do one during each segment. If you think doing the whole segment is too long, alternate when they switch scenes. I do deep squats or lunges when Hope's on 'cause I love her legs. I squeeze a ball between my elbows when Chloe's on 'cause she's got great...well, you know. I also do leg lifts, etc. You can look online for lots of great ideas that don't require time, equipment or money. Plus, if you have to go take care of your baby, you can pause it until later. It doesn't really matter if you do it all at once or just whenever you get to watch. Does that make sense?

Also, find a friend in your neighborhood who will walk with you. Put the baby in the stroller if you can't get your DH to watch the baby. I started walking at 8:30 around the creek in our neighborhood. One friend joined me and when I'd mention it to another friend, they were interested, too. Now we have 5 or 6 ladies walking every night. We started a Yahoo group so that we can know who's going that day and know who to look for. They expect me to be there. If I'm not, they'll call to see how I'm doing. It's accountability and it's great to get out and talk to other grown-ups.

I hope that helps. Like I said I have 3 kids so I don't have a lot of time or $ to invest. It's working for me.

zeffryn
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Mel, the main reason why my milk started drying up was I wasn't getting enough calories.

DS had colic when he was little, and my dietitian told me what I could and could not have....well, the "could" list was small and finding food that I could eat that was convenient (who wants to cook a lot with a newborn) was rather difficult...so I would just stop eating during the day (a bite here and there of something) and eat when DH got home from work.

Not too long after that, my milk started drying up. I pumped my brains out - with nothing to show.

Unfortunately, he was only able to nurse for about 5 months. :( Now that I know more about breast feeding, I hope I will be able to do so longer with the next baby.

Good luck with the fenugreek and pumping.

Fat Melanie
07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I have 3 kids. I made mistakes after the first 2 but am doing things differently now. First of all...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT EJ??? Sorry, but I'm a DOOL fan, too! You've got to make YOU a priority. That means not blaming your baby for not being able to get your work out in. Here's what I'm doing that has really been working...

OMG I KNOW! HOW DARE HE SLEEP WITH NICOLE! :lol: I'm so mad about it. Plus I have a soapcelebrity crush on EJ.

Do you strengthening during DOOL. First segment, sit ups. As many as you can until you have to stop. Rest and do it again until commercial break. During the first commercial break, sit-ups. 2nd segment, run in place or do jumping jacks (don't FF). See? You can make a list of all the exercises you can do in your living room. Just do one during each segment. If you think doing the whole segment is too long, alternate when they switch scenes. I do deep squats or lunges when Hope's on 'cause I love her legs. I squeeze a ball between my elbows when Chloe's on 'cause she's got great...well, you know. I also do leg lifts, etc. You can look online for lots of great ideas that don't require time, equipment or money. Plus, if you have to go take care of your baby, you can pause it until later. It doesn't really matter if you do it all at once or just whenever you get to watch. Does that make sense?

Yes, it really does, and it's a great idea. It's a good place and time to get my strengthening exercises done. I've been doing an hour or more of cardio every day since I had a bit of a mind-makeover and decided I'm doing this for real this time, and doing strengthening 3-4 times a week. Doing it during DOOL is a great idea (especially the idea behind doing certain exercises during certain character's scenes because of their great assets; it's actually motivating. Squat! I will have Hope's legs! Squat! I will have Nicole's butt! etc) Since you mentioned squats (something I have trouble doing for some reason) I was wondering how do you get geared up to do them, what position do you take to do them... I am uncoordinated with them and not sure I do them right.

Also, find a friend in your neighborhood who will walk with you. Put the baby in the stroller if you can't get your DH to watch the baby. I started walking at 8:30 around the creek in our neighborhood. One friend joined me and when I'd mention it to another friend, they were interested, too. Now we have 5 or 6 ladies walking every night. We started a Yahoo group so that we can know who's going that day and know who to look for. They expect me to be there. If I'm not, they'll call to see how I'm doing. It's accountability and it's great to get out and talk to other grown-ups.

I hope that helps. Like I said I have 3 kids so I don't have a lot of time or $ to invest. It's working for me.

Lately I've been getting my friend to walk with me, my motivation is fitness, hers is the hot older man down the street, so it pays off for both of us. I might look into starting a yahoo group for this neighborhood if I find enough interested people, that's a really good idea.

Fat Melanie
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Mel, the main reason why my milk started drying up was I wasn't getting enough calories.

DS had colic when he was little, and my dietitian told me what I could and could not have....well, the "could" list was small and finding food that I could eat that was convenient (who wants to cook a lot with a newborn) was rather difficult...so I would just stop eating during the day (a bite here and there of something) and eat when DH got home from work.

Not too long after that, my milk started drying up. I pumped my brains out - with nothing to show.

Unfortunately, he was only able to nurse for about 5 months. :( Now that I know more about breast feeding, I hope I will be able to do so longer with the next baby.

Good luck with the fenugreek and pumping.

The way you described eating when your son was a newborn with colic sounds very similar to how I had been eating. Not really eating much during the day, then cooking a big dinner (by then I entered binge city but probably still didn't take in enough calories.) Plus ds never was able to latch on so I had to pump to give him b-m in a bottle and it was my responsibility to keep up with the tedious pumping. Which wasn't always possible, that rented thing is not portable despite what the makers claim. Sorry to hear about only being able to nurse for 5 months, I understand the disappointment. I could just stop trying to pump altogether and continue giving him the formula I'm having to give him, but I can't bear to give it up. Hope the fenugreek will help although I'm just about nearly dried up.

halcyon
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
if you decided to keep at it (nursing and pumping, that is) try eating oatmeal, it's supposed to help increase your production. when i was nursing, i would eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning drizzled with flax oil (also good when nursing) I would also make oatmeal bars (there was a recipe on the back of the cannister one time that used dried cranberries - i'm sure i still have it if you're interested. i don't think it's completely sbd compliant but could be modified)

Fat Melanie
07-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Sure, I would love to know the recipe, I could always modify it as you said. :)

halcyon
07-08-2008, 02:18 AM
alright, here it is then. there are definitely a few things that would need tweaking and i've never tried tweaking it but they were always a hit here at my house when i made them. my ex loved them and healthy food wasn't always high on his list (confession - i haven't baked with sugar substitutes so someone else may be the expert on converting the sugar requirements) but - if you try it and it works for you, let me know. if i get time i'll try to make them myself)
***DISCLAIMER*** i have not ever tried this recipe modded to fit sbd. So I have no idea how well it will work. (but if you're looking for a way to increase your oatmeal intake - good for lowering cholesterol and for nursing mothers - it's worth a shot.)

chewy fruit and oatmeal bars:
*3/4 c brown sugar. (i prefer to use stevia over splenda, but whatever sugar substitute you choose should be fine i would think)
*1/2 cup sugar (once again, would need to play with sweeteners. agave, splenda, whatever works for you)
*8 oz plain low fat or fat free yogurt
*2 egg whites lightly beaten
*2 T canola oil
*2 T fat free milk
*2 tsp vanilla
*1 1/2 c flour (could use whole wheat flour or some variety of whole grain flour i'm sure.)
*1 tsp baking soda
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1/2 tsp salt
*3 C oatmeal, uncooked
*1 c dried fruit diced (i liked cranberries but could use whatever you prefer.) (preferably the type w/o sugar. i know i can get unsweetened dried fruit at the natural foods store here)

combine sugars (sugar substitute in this case), yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk and vanilla. in another bowl combine flour, baking soda cinnamon and salt. mix well. add to yogurt mixture. stir in oats and fruit. spread into an ungreased 9x13 pan. bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until light golden brown.

Fat Melanie
07-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Mmm, that sounds delicious! And I love stevia, definitely could use that. I can definitely tweak the recipe a bit to use for Phase 2. Thanks for the recipe!!! :)