100 lb. Club - JULY NSV's

View Full Version : JULY NSV's

Sandi
07-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Welcome to one of the most popular threads here at the 100lb club!

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up!

H8cake
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I went to a new store we have in town and tried on some pants. They were a size 18 which I just got into about a month ago and they were too roomy. I was in the womens dept where I've been shopping for the last eighteen years. I couldn't find a pair of 16's so I asked the sales lady if they had any in the back. She went looking and came back with a pair from the misses dept., I'm not entirely sure they were supposed to be there, but I could have hugged the lady! I ended up with a skirt in a size 16 from the misses dept too! My husband was with me and I told him later that I didn't want to embarrass him by crying, but he said he could tell what a big deal it was to me by the look on my face. I feel like I'm venturing into a forbidden land when I walk through the misses dept though. I think it will be awhile before I'm not afraid someone will kick me out:kickcan:

Pandora123a
07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
This last week I have had a series of NSV's...

...my husband forgot his earplugs when we were at a hotel and could sleep because I didn't snore!
...I walked all over downtown without looking for a place to rest
...I walked up three flights of stairs without getting out of breath or stopping in the middle
...when I went to pull the lever that releases my gas cap, I didn't have to get out of my seatbelt to reach it. (First time in the four years that I have owned the car that I could just reach down and pull the lever)
...I fit into a shirt from Chico's that I still have hanging in my closet.

I'm pumped!

ahill1979
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I made a friend today. I know that sounds silly but it was a huge NSV for me. I have never been comfortable enough with myself to talk to people that I don't know and get to know them. Today I took my kids to a local park for a picnic lunch. There was a lady there with her kids walking around the track. I actually initiated a conversation with her and after talking to the lady for about 30 mins we decided to meet at the same park every morning to walk and workout. I am so excited and proud of myself.

Nada
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I have been very consistant the last few weeks with my exercise--last summer I used the excuse "it's too hot" and I let it all slide but this summer I have gotten up at the crack of dawn and done my walking. Go me!

thistoo
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
This morning I put on a pair of size 18 pants and they actually feel a little loose. The last time I tried them on they were still a bit snug (my Lane Bryant 18s are getting too big already, but these are from Wal-Mart and they run smaller), so even though the scale hasn't dropped much, I must have lost inches somewhere. Time to step up my workouts so I can start trying on 16s!

I haven't worn a 16 since high school. I think I'll fall over the day I actually fit into that size again.

WarMaiden
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
My husband went out to a movie with some family friends last night, one of them stopped in to pick him up. Afterwards the young man said to him that it looked like I'd lost weight. Funny thing is, I was wearing baggy sweats and my biggest, warmest hoodie-sweatshirt thing, so I'm not sure how he saw that! :D But it's heart-warming, because this young man is someone we fostered when he was a teenager, so it's a nice compliment from a person who is very dear to us.

Then this morning, at a company meeting, a friend of mine I don't see often told me that I was "glowing." I told her I look and feel totally healthy because of not eating sugar!

FB
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Mine is lame and funny.

I took my car in for an oil change, which are so pricey at $130.00 (it uses some special oil). When it came time to pay the service manager said he'd take care of it, because I look so good in the car. HUH?! He then passed me his phone number.

Cripes. I haven't had someone flirt with me in a long time. My husband and I laughed and laughed about it.

Tonight I'm going to take that $130.00 and buy myself something nice.

Lyn2007
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
FB!! Oh my gosh. Wow, what a NSV!! You must look really good in that car!! LOL! My jaw would have hit the floor! Very funny, and cool.

valpal23
07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
FB thats awesome lol. happy shopping!

FB
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Lyn and Val. It was pretty hilarious, I was flabbergasted and did NOT know how to react, I'm sure my jaw did hit the floor. I'm still laughing at it. I did go out and spend the money on clothes last night, which was great. My husband suggested picking up a cheap wedding band! Mine doesn't fit anymore, which may be better than a coupon at car shops.

I'm still confused over it, LOL. I think he wanted my car, not me.

fiberlover
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
FB - that is awesome!!

I had a great moment yesterday. A note here, there are no full length mirrors in the house at this point (just haven't gotten them yet). We were at Home Depot shopping for closet doors. We looked at some mirrored ones and I just kept staring at myself. DH laughed and said - "I keep forgetting that you don't see yourself like I do without any full length mirrors at home"

It's true! I have a very different mind image of what I really look like, I actually look 'normal' LOL!

valpal23
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I had a great moment yesterday. didnt include a full length mirror.. just my head. I got home from work and looked at myself and caught a glimpse of my 100 pound lighter self. and it made me smile. I dont think I've smiled at my reflection ever.

MaNdA22
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Last night at work my friend said "Wow you look like you're getting smaller". That made my night.

WarMaiden
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
My current NSV is that my husband is losing weight too! And all because I've changed up our diet and (nicely) made him quit sugar with me. I only started making him weigh last week, and he's down 2 pounds since then. I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost 10 pounds overall so far. He'll weigh less than me soon, and lose faster...dang men :/

yoyonomoreinvegas
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Awww, Val, that one made me all misty :hug:

Mine isn't as deep and touching but - driving in the car yesterday with my arm resting by the open window, I noticed my sleeve was flapping in the breeze - but my upper arm wasn't :D

valpal23
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
lol thanks yo yo :hug: I wasnt trying to be mellowdramatic! It was just a new experience.. to feel that proud of the way I looked.

djay
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi!
I'm not sure if this is a NSV or not, but I wanted to share.

I never tell anyone when I start a diet because I don't want them to know when I have failed.

I have gotten so much support from this board that I truly believe that I will make it this time! I have only stumbled once and this board helped me get right back on track.

So armed with my newfound confidence, I told EVERYBODY at work about my diet! I'm sure that doesn't sound like a big deal to some people but that is a huge step for me. I am so confident that I will loose the weight that I am risking humiliation at work if I don't do it.

Now that is motivation!

Still hangin on!
D

Pandora123a
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Today, going through my closet, I saw my favorite pair of Chico's cords which I loved...and which I couldn't even pull up to my waist for a while.

They zipped, still a tiny bit snug (and too wintry for the season) but they zipped and were completely wearable!

I'm now thinking maybe they will be too big by the time the weather lets me wear them. That's a problem I would love to have!

Schmoodle
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Today my NSV is that I am wearing my size 14 jeans finally! See, I had to buy new jeans last fall, and I got 16's, but LB was having a huge sale and their jeans were $10 so I went ahead and got the 14s too because I just knew I would be needing them very soon! :rofl:
Okay, that was 8 months and 33 lbs. ago, and it has taken me that long and that much weight to go down to the next stinkin' jeans size! How crazy is that? I'm starting to think I could speed up the process if I start to really concentrate on some abdomen-firming exercises, but I digress.

Anyway, today I am in my 14's and very comfortable, thank you very much!

Lyn2007
07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow Schmoodle, 14's! The last time I was in a 14 was in 1991. Yikes!! But I think I weighed like... 160. My body is weird.

Maven of Mayhem
07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
This is a great thread and there are some awesome victories here. Congratulations, everyone!

This is the first week of my newfound lifestyle. Today I took all three boys shopping at Costco (because I'm a sucker for punishment) and... *drum roll* I did NOT BUY ANY JUNKFOOD. Well, I bought some extremely low-fat, low-sugar ice cream treats (which taste great, btw) but no Peanut M&Ms, which were my nightly addiction and no chips for the family. No fatty, sugary junk at all. None!

The kids were a little confused but didn't put up a fight. Tonight I made not one but two salads for dinner (one veggie and one fruit) and everyone ate them. I'm so pleased! I think we'll all be getting healthier together :)

FB
07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Last night was an organized evening bike ride our city holds annually.

My husband and son have always done it and I'd sit on the front porch in previous years to cheer them on when they'd ride by.

While watching I'd think about how it would be impossible for me to do. Ride even the short route at 5 miles? No freaking way. I didn't often get down on myself over my weight, but during these bike rides I certainly was. At 295 pounds there wasn't a chance in the world I could do that. I was miserably out of shape and the annual tour reminded me of that. Might as well cheer them on.

This year I rode that tour! I somehow lost my husband and friends and rode it alone. I guess my legs have been nicely conditioned from all the bike riding I've done this year, because I got quite a ways ahead.

I ended up in the front pack of riders, although we started near the end. I rode the 17 mile course, and at the finish line still couldn't find my family or friends. After about 40 minutes they pulled up having finished the 10 mile course. I realized then how nicely I've conditioned my legs, how strong I am now.

I've come a long way baby!

It wasn't a race, I wasn't giving it my all but it truly was a victory for me. I am so so so happy. No more being a spectator. I'm living it now!

fiberlover
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
What great NSVs this month!! Kudos to all of you!

Last night I went shopping for new bike shorts. Just for kicks, I pulled a pair of size 12 Levis off the shelf. I know I need new pants, but wasn't sure if the 12s would fit.

Well - they went on easily *and* there was a huge gap at the waist!! I should have brought in a pair of 10s, just to see. I can't believe it!

I can't wait til my stimulus check comes - then I am heading to Good Will and stocking up!

Schmoodle
07-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Lyn,
They are Lane Bryant 14s though, so that may not be the same as say, Levis 14s!

Great NSVs everybody!

thistoo
07-12-2008, 02:16 PM
FB, that is a fantastic NSV! Congratulations on your great ride, and thanks for sharing your story. I know it's going to inspire all kinds of people.

Star2Be
07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
This is kind of a silly one, but it certainly did brighten my day. I went to a graduation party for an old friend who I hadn't seen for almost a year, and when I walked up to her to give her a hug, the first thing she said was (something like) "Wow, you look like you've lost some weight! You look great!" I was feeling a little down because I feel like I've actually gained a little weight recently, but it reminded me that in the long run, I've been getting results. Yea! :D

Farseashore
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
At work we share stations and chairs. There's one chair I've always hated: it has arms that extend slightly over the seat, meaning that I've had to wriggle my way discreetly in and out of this chair. Otherwise, my hips get caught on the arms and the whole thing comes with me!

Well, this week it happened. I just sat in the chair. Straight down, no wriggling. I was so shocked that I had to stand right back up and do it again. Twice. :)

PS - djay: I don't tell people either, for the same reason. Good for you!!

GirlyGirlSebas
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh my goodness, it has been a long time since I posted an NSV!

Last night, I noticed that my jeans were feeling a little bit looser around my midsection and hanging a tad in the crotch.:)

valpal23
07-18-2008, 09:16 PM
ooo my nsv for the week is that I bought new yoga pants size in a large.. not xl or xxl! At Mark's work wearhouse.. so they dont vanity size, compared to everywhere else. They've got some stretch in them.. but they fit really nicely.

When I start mentally discrediting the fact that they're a L.. I remind myself that it would have been impossible to fit them a year ago (the xxl's were stretched to the max)

Apple Cheeks
07-18-2008, 10:53 PM
I had to pin the waist of my capri pants the other day, because they kept falling down! :D

PenChick
07-19-2008, 12:59 AM
It has been over a year since i've gone organic and kept to the healthy eating. and its been over a year since i've had an asthma attack. Not even a flare up when i work out. it feels great to lose one ball and chain at a time.

FB
07-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Oh, all of you rock. Congratulations on all of your hard earned successes. This thread is a wonderful and amazing thing isn't it?

Today was a great day for NSV's. I've never had so many in a single day. I love rewarding myself for milestones and celebrated 200 days of staying perfectly on the straight and narrow line with a new road bike.

At the bike store I voiced some concerns over crushing the road bikes with my girth. Road bikes are so lightweight and have so little spokes. The owner looked at me like I was crazy and said I was an averaged sized girl. That he could put 3 of me on that bike. I wanted to cry.

Later on during our conversations he remembered who I was as I've frequented his shop many times in the last 4 months. He was shocked and said he didn't recognize me, that I've changed so much.

When I picked up my son from my sister the nanny's house her SIL thought my husband was with a new girl. She didn't recognize me! Yay! She said I'm smoking. Who me? Smoking? Crazy.

When unloading my son and new bike from the car my personal trainer was just getting home (lives across the street). Her sweet as heck, but oblivious to everything 15 year old daughter yelled out the car window that I'm getting skinny.

This day has been amazing. Every bit of this weight loss is so worth it.

GirlyGirlSebas
07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
stayed OP through a theater visit and dinner at Applebees! On the way to see Wall-E with the family, I enjoyed a string cheese and some cherries. During the movie, I sipped on a diet Coke...no buttery popcorn and no Junior Mints. Then, we went to dinner afterward...no margarita, no fries, no burger. I had a bowl of the WW onion soup, a small salad with dressing on the side (I just did the fork "dip" while eating my salad) then a small sirloin steak with steamed squash and carrots...and,I gave my youngest daughter my little chocolate mousse dessert cup. What is really surprising me is that my scales haven't moved all week, yet I've not comforted myself with going off-plan. OMG...this is so huge for me!

Cate426
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Someone I know said "You are getting thinner and thinner every time I see you. You look great."

It's impossible to describe how that feels =)

S3 in LA
07-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I am just starting the adventure of getting smaller.. so I will claim that as my NSV for the month.

denialisnthappiness
07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Ok this sounds sily

I'm 25 days post op and today I ran for the first time since sx! I took it easy (my tummy feels half numb and half not lol) and only ran for about a mile/mile and a half and walked the other mile and a half but boy oh boy did it feel good!!

I LOVE the rush I get after exercise :o If I could bottle it I would!

LisaF
07-20-2008, 09:36 AM
In an effort to overcome my long-standing and somewhat inexplicable aversion to patterns, I bought a shirt with flowers on it. This shirt, in fact:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/6129/1d/s7diod-isorigin.scene7.com/is/image/unitedretailgroup/3097118A_151?$product$

I think I might actually wear it, too.

Lisa

djay
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Oooh...Cute shirt! I love that pattern! Should be very slimming. Where can I get one?

I worked out yesterday like I had promised myself that I would! I have a very long history of talking myself out of it.

mj5
07-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I am now able to wear two pairs of capris that were too tight at the beginning of summer!

LisaF
07-20-2008, 06:33 PM
djay - I got it at the avenue, and it was on sale for $10. Since I had a 20% off coupon (http://www.avenue.com/avenue/html/JulyWelcCoup.html), it came home with me for $8. Great deal.

x meowkat x
07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
So mine is technically a scale victory, but a NON scale victory at the same time...hope it counts for this thread!

So far I've lost a total of 12 pounds. I started at 225 and as of Thursday weighed in at 213. I've tried losing weight a number of times throughout my life...but this is the first time I've ever stuck with it long enough to lose more than 9 or 10 lbs then not gain it all back.

I consider this a NSV because everything feels different this time around...I've made a LIFE CHANGE and I'm sticking with it! My victory on the scale reflects the victory I've had with my mind and my will power! :D

kelleewl
07-21-2008, 05:26 AM
My non scale victory today is that I finally got my ticker. I looked at the date and realized that it has been a month of healthy lifestyle changes. I can honestly say I have never stuck with a program that long! I believe that this will be a permanent change this time.

WarMaiden
07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Yesterday at work I did 4 hours of standing at my desk, working, instead of sitting all day long. I've been working up to this since April, increasing a little at a time. My goal for this month was to be able to do 4 hours, and I did it! Looks like I will be able to make 4 hours today also. This is really huge for me, as I HATE HATE HATE taking the time out of my life to "exercise," so incorporating movement into my daily routine means that it gets done instead of NOT getting done. Oh, by "standing at my desk working," I actually mean that I put my headphones on, turn my rock music up loud, and boogie to the tunes as I work. Often I will also do abbreviated lunges or squats, or stretches, etc as I'm standing. I actually break a light sweat pretty often and it does get me very heated up. The Mayo Clinic calculates this burns about an extra 100 calories per hour versus sitting and working. Woohoo!

PenChick
07-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I had two people compliment today...it was about my hair being so pretty. hehe. But this morning i woke up with a positive attitude and figured i'd do my hair and be positive today. It worked! Maybe i can keep postive for the scale to smile at me too.....lol

TJFitnessDiva
07-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I fit into my size 18 pants!! Down from a 24, yuck :P

Plus I got a cool complement from my step-mom today :)

Star2Be
07-22-2008, 11:30 PM
LisaF - CUTE shirt, and I love Avenue! I get tons of my clothing there, hehe. :D

x meowkat x
07-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Yesterday I auditioned for a musical. The last show I worked on I stage managed (that was back in April) and several of the cast members from that show were also auditioning. Most of them I hadn't seen since closing night...and I got compliments from all of them! One girl asked me if I'd lost weight, and another girl told me that she could really tell I've been losing (she said I looked "tight and right" lol)

It made me feel good that others can tell a little...it's not very often I run into folks I haven't seen since I started my journey.

Beverlyjoy
07-23-2008, 06:14 AM
My NSV is that my waist is now below 35 inches. Dr. Oz says that over 35 inches is a risk indicator for cardio-vascular desease. I really don't do much measuring (wish I had started that on the onset of this journey) but - I've been keeping track of my waist since I heard Dr. Oz talk about it.

mj5
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok, I just had to share this....I have had two different people in opposite parts of the building at two different times tell me I look pretty today. And you know what, I feel pretty today (even before they said it!). Wow, I have come a long way!

Lyn2007
07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Beverlyjoy, that's awesome! That's one of my goals as well... to get my waist under 35 inches. I have a ways to go... It's about 40 now but I started at 45.

Star2Be
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
My NSV for today is that this afternoon I went to the beach with one of my closest friends, and I DIDN'T wear shorts over my bathing suit. I've been wearing shorts over my suit since I was 13 or so because I was too ashamed to let people see my legs... Plus, they're so big that it's almost impossible to shave the entire leg! Then the other day I went swimming at nighttime and didn't bother wearing shorts because I figured it was so dark that no one would see, and I was amazed at how much easier it was to swim without the bulky fabric always getting in the way. So when I went to the beach yesterday I was wearing them as usual when I thought This is stupid, how can I get my daily exercise in if I can't even move in these stupid shorts? so I just took them off and went right in!

It's not that I've lost enough weight for my legs to look any better... But I guess I just realized that it's stupid to try to cover them up. It felt so great to lie under the sun on the beach just in my suit! I haven't done that in years! :D I don't think I'll ever wear shorts to the beach again, hehe.

jennisue
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Congratuations -- What an incredible feeling it must to be able to begin to look in other areas of the store. I have been in the Womans section for so long I know what you mean about crying when you have that kind of accomplishment--

Great job--

Jen