Lighten Up! Feeling a little stressed out over your diet? This forum is for you! Laugh a little, relax, and take a load off!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #1  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Exclamation Raising Prices

Oh My

I'm watching the news right now and their announcing that milk, ice cream, and cheese are going up in price. They also announced that LIPA raised their rates as of today so everyone's electric bill is going to be higher, and gas prices rose again . Is this ever going to end??
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I don't think gas prices will ever drop. I doubt food will either. It's pretty frightening.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

There was a strip in the funnies yesterday. Guy at a book signing with a new "fad" diet. He said you just keep spending exactly the same amount of money on food every week and the rest would take care of itself

If something doesn't change, eventually we'll end up back with everyone raising their own food, making their own candles, and riding bicycles. Hmmm, might not be that bad
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Gas and groceries are making it seem like I have a hole in my pocket. My paycheck isn't going up though!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

You would think in Canada with the Canadian Dollar higher than the USD prices would go down a bit or at least stay the same to compensate for the rise in gas/food prices....

nope
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  

I just read an article that a lot of companies are actually keeping their prices the same (seemingly), but they are putting LESS food in the package! It said that shoppers will start to notice this with bagged and boxed items - chips, pretzels, crackers, cereal, etc. I guess it's another good reason to give up junk food, but I really think some people in this country will be in trouble as prices get higher and higher.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #7  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I'd be thin and rich if I didn't have to eat............
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #8  

Does anyone else like the idea of the 4 day work week?

Our school system is normally running M-F even in the summers - that includes all staff development, summer school sessions, sessions for low and/or gifted kids, all administrative and central office positions, janatorial positions, etc. This summer the superintendent changed it to M-T -- longer days of course, but that's one day less of gas spent on commuting and one day less of running energy for everything.

I read that Utah is the first state that has officially gone to a M-T four 10 hour day week for all state employees... I don't believe that includes schools for them, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I think it's a great idea... money saver for sure and probably a stress reliever too...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I don't think gas prices will ever drop. I doubt food will either. It's pretty frightening.
I remember hearing my mom say that. That was 1978. Then the 80's showed up, Reagan took office, prices fell, and everyone was happy until the grunge-90's came along to tell us how miserable we really were.

The economy cycles up and down like a roller coaster. Prices will drop eventually but probably not to the lows we saw before this recession hit. The days of $1.XX gas are probably over, but since we're above $4 now, $2.50 doesn't look unreasonable, does it?

The hard part is riding it out. Be patient - it'll get better.
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #10  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I read that Utah is the first state that has officially gone to a M-T four 10 hour day week for all state employees... I don't believe that includes schools for them, but I'm not sure.
No, it's only for the state employee's. West Valley City Gov. has already been doing it. It's a suburb of Salt Lake. For the school's to do it would cause major upheaval for working parents. West Jordan(another suburb) schools do a ridiculous year round schedule in the elementary schools and it's just wacky. But, it was necessary because of over population in the schools. Thankfully, my DD was only in it for one year. It would be nice if UT would put their money where their mouth is when it comes to educating all the children folks around here are supposed to have.

It will be a good shift as long as they stick to 10 hr shifts. I work 4 on 4 off, 12 hr, rotating shifts. I've worked the 4-10 hr shift that they are talking about, but I was in construction. I loved it!!! But, the difference in a 10 hr shift and a 12 hr shift is gigantic. You can still keep up with your life during the week on 10's. 12's are lifestyle destroyers.

There will be an adjustment period for folks because, unless they split it up and put some employees on a Tu-Fr shift, there will be no service offices open on Friday. People will have to get used to doing business later in the evening hours M-Th.

Last edited by Operator265; 07-04-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #11  

Interesting, Operator. Yeah, lots of the elementary schools around here are on year round too. Teachers love it, but I guess it's really hard for parents.

Havoc- I hope you are right! I am naturally an optimist!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #12  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Several Florida counties are looking at four day school weeks. I'm believing that will put a lot of pressure on employers to support four - 10 hour day work weeks.

One of the women in my group lives 4 miles from the office and rides her bike some days. The irony is that if you're close enough to ride (and have roads and bike lanes that make it reasonably safe to ride. Our community is routinely rated as one of the least safe in the country to ride a bicycle) you're saving very few miles and little gas in a car. Can't argue about the health benefit though.

8 miles round trip done on a bicycle as a substitute for a car that gets 24 miles to the gallon done 3 times a week, saves one gallon of gas weekly. That's $4 a week times 50 weeks - $200 and 50 gallons saved in a year. If it rains and someone drives the round trip from home to pick you up, you lost that day's savings.

Last edited by WebRover; 07-04-2008 at 04:57 AM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #13  

I would love to bike to work, and I'm close enough, but I have a very biker unfriendly highway to ride on. Also, I typically have a very heavy school bag full of lesson plans to work on and papers to grade (I teach English), so I don't know how that would. Then there is the sweat factor -- we are in a school we are expected to dress "professionally" - men must wear ties - so I don't know that I would have the time to change, shower, pack clothes, etc. If I worked somewhere where I could be more casual, I would try it.

I would love a 4 day school week! That is our summer school schedule right now, and it's working great.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #14  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I've heard about the companies keeping their prices the same too and just giving us less. Well maybe it will be a benefit since America is supposed to be one of the fattest if not the fattest nation in the world. Maybe it will make us all eat less and I can see us regressing back to the old ways of life for sure. Its like a gigantic tilt a whirl, and you never know whats gonna end up happening!

Very scary indeed!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #15  

Went grocery shopping today, and I think I'm paranoid - every box or bag of food I picked up felt LIGHTER! Has it already started??