South Beach Diet - Any Type 2 Diabetics around ?

View Full Version : Any Type 2 Diabetics around ?

needtolose4me2
07-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Good morning!
I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and slight cholesterol problems. I was just wondering if anyone on here is a diabetic who is having success with there bg readings while on this plan?
I did atkins a while back and lost 30 lbs in 4 months, however, I am looking for something different (would really like to be able to have fruit and some healthy carbs once in a while) I am considering buying this book but thought I would first ask if it is something that works well for those of us with type 2.
The Doctor told me I should lose about 30 pounds, plus I'm just looking for a permanent way of healthy eating!
Thanks
Maggie:)

Ruthxxx
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Maggie, :welcome: to The Beach. I'm a Type II diabetic (diagnosed in 2004, I think) and have my BGL in excellent control on the plan. It does work!
Phase I will require lots of monitoring to be sure you get enough good carbs, like dairy and legumes but even starting with Phase II should help.
You should also check in with the Diabetes Support Group (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203) for more ideas and support.

Schmoodle
07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I am not, but DH is type II. He is on oral medication, not insulin. He eats SBD with me, and his blood sugar levels have been excellent over the last year.

chipper15173
07-01-2008, 11:07 AM
:wel3fc:
i too am type 2. was diagnosed 06. lost my first part of my weight doing the carb counting. than quit smoking gained some back, working on taking the rest off. my personal sugars were not normal while i was on ph1. so i just went to a ph2. so far they have dropped and getting back to normal. i like the people here on SB. i like the daily. everyone is so nice.:grouphug: it all comes down to the same thing. good carbs & fat, bad carbs & fat. get the book at the libary. i lost just over 2#s on ph1, but did gain them back, which i thought i might. it's ok, with the humid/hot weather my body does strange things.
i am going on and on, sorry.
again welcome,
chipper

needtolose4me2
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the quick responses! THat's good news! Schmoodle I'm glad to hear your hubby is doing well and that you can do the plan together. That must be great!
Ruthxxx -one question. Can you clarifly this a bit for me.:^:

Phase I will require lots of monitoring to be sure you get enough good carbs, like dairy and legumes but even starting with Phase II should help.

I'm new to this. HOw will I know if I'm getting enough good carbs? Right now I am only having one slice of whole grain bread int he morning with an egg and maybe a piece of fruit a day. My numbers seem to be ok like this.Sure I'd like to add in a bit more good carbs. but how will i know if it's too much? would my bgl just go up higher?
THanks for any help on the matter!
Maggie
PS I'll be sure to check out the diabetese support group too

needtolose4me2
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey chipper! Thanks. Yes, I guess it all comes down to that as you said.I jsut have all these numbers running through my head at this point between bgl, weight, bp, and even hypothyroid. I guess I need to step back and take it one step at a time.
THanks for your input! I wish you continued good luck andlook forward chatting with you all,butfirst Ithink i will read the book to get a better grip on things.
maggie

Ruthxxx
07-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I guess I meant to be sure to have good carbs at every meal - dairy and legumes plus 4½ cups of good veggies are essential. Do you monitor during the day? I guess that's what I meant so you don't "crash". The chickies in the Diabetic Forum know more about this.

needtolose4me2
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
ok, I see what you mean!I think I'll go nose around over there.