LA Weight Loss - Volumetrics - July/August - 2008

View Full Version : Volumetrics - July/August - 2008

meowee
07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Welcome . . . :welcome: . . . Thought we should have a new start once again, since the previous thread was getting rather long . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . . :yes:

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

meowee
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM
The long hot summer has definitely arrived in northern Nova Scotia looks like another really sticky day for us, but at least the sun is shining a little bit for this Canada Day Holiday.

Woke up realizing I was really stupid yesterday, I should have gone to the grocery store -- so now I'm completely out of salad greens and nothing is open today. Will I survive? Probably. :lol:

Have a great day . . . :grouphug:

ArtCat
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
What does Canada Day celebrate?

One last comment about headaches- this is a great quote I love- "When the head aches, all the members partake." Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote
I think that just says it all!

meowee
07-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Sure does, LIZ . . . :yes:

Canada Day is the official birthday of the Country . . . when we stopped just being a British Colony and became an independent and self-governing member of the British Commonwealth. Sort of our version of the 4th of July. :D

gailr42
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I can't believe it is July already! I am starting my 7th month of no weight gain. I am so proud of myself. Of course, I wish I would cut back a little and loose my last 15lbs. I guess that will happen when it happens.

teacher1
07-01-2008, 10:59 AM
hi all- my day involves going to the dentist :( last night the DB and I worked on the yard. i'm not much of an outdoors person but he wanted the company.

thesusanone
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi guys. I hope all of you are enjoying your eating plan. I'm hanging in there. This week, I'm going to try the recipe for the volumetrics burgers in the first book. It looks really good. It involves adding things like bulgur and veggies to the ground beef.

My weight loss has slowed down a lot. I don't know if you can call it a plateau when you are still losing. But I feel impatient with small losses! I lost .6 one week, and 1 lb. the following week. I feel like I am so overweight that I "should" be losing more. I was wondering if maybe I should try eating a little more. I think I might actually be eating too little if there is such a thing! I tried cutting out some snacks, and have been sticking to low ED foods (technically, I am using the WW core plan, but I am applying principles from the first volumetrics book).

So I had a treat last night. I tried Hillbilly Housewife's Magic Milk Shake (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/magicmilkshakes.htm) and it was awesome. I used real sugar because I didn't have enough artificial sweetener. But I want to try it with Splenda. I think it would be good. I used canola oil instead of corn oil, for health benefits. I'm going to try olive oil next because I think the cocoa powder would cover up the olive taste. I guess I could try flaxseed oil too!

meowee
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
It's not officially a plateau if you are still losing. Unfortunately our bodies don't always work at the rte we'd most like.

Just figured out (for a different thread) that I've averaged 2.33 pounds a month over the past 30 months for a total of 70 pounds. Forty-five of that was in the first year and, at the time, I thought that was too slow.

Hang tough, chickie . . . :hug:

Shayrar
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and I just ordered the volumetric books today! Although I must admit that before I ordered them I googled and ended reading up many previous volumetrics threads which is what ultimately made me decide to take the plunge. Honestly after reading so many previous threads I feel like I know a few of you already! I look forward to reading your posts and giving /receiving support!

meowee
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
:welcome: SHAYRAR . . . :hug: Glad to have you joining us in Volumetrics and glad to say :wel3fc: as well. We'll all be looking forward to getting to know you better, chickie. :D

Shayrar
07-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Meowee! I've got to get some of this weight off...I'm 25 and have high blood pressure already! Not to mention I put on about 75 lbs in 2 years :( I also have a wedding coming up in February and I miss the days of my once previously skinny self....and believe me it will be a much better day if I have to buy a new dress after I've lost some weight as opposed to if I gain!

Hope everyone has a great night!

gailr42
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Welcome, Shayrar!!

Shayrar
07-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Gail!

harmonyBelle
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi, I just saw a review of the top four diets on the Morning Show with Mike & Juliet. Volumetrics was #1. I've been intending to get back on some sort of program for a while, so I decided to dust off my Volumetrics book which I bought ages ago and never read.

To introduce myself, I'm 40-something & married with 2 grown children, 1 teenager at home.

I haven't stepped on the scales in months and I refuse to give that capricious device power over my life again. From the fit of my clothes lately, I'm guessing I weigh in the 170s to 180s range. I'm aiming to lose about 30 or 40 lbs. Whatever it takes to fit back into my favourite purple skirt.

I understand Volumetrics is one of those slow & steady sort of weight loss plans, so I'm happy to find this support group on 3FC.

PS In case you were wondering, the other plans featured on the Morning Show with Mike & Juliet were:

#2 Weight Watchers
#3 Jenny Craig
#4 Slimfast

meowee
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
:welcome: HARMONY . . . glad to have you joining us and I definitely think you will find this an easy set of priciples to live by -- I definitely do. :hug:

And :yay: for VOLUMETRICS coming in first . . . couldn't happen to a better plan. :D

harmonyBelle
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome meowee.
Love your avatar.
Looks like a contender for icanhascheezburgerdotcom

PS Happy Canada Day!
Did you have fireworks to celebrate? I'm on the west coast and we will be having fireworks in a few hours.

meowee
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
:lol: . . . her name is Purrecious and she thinks she is a Princess to be sure . . . and thanks for the reminder; don't think I've looked at Lolcats in the past month . . . going over there now. :wave:

Where are you, by the way, and have you discovered our Crazy Canuks Cluck Club yet? Here's a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145241

harmonyBelle
07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the link, meowee.
I'm in Prince Rupert BC. Lots of East Coasters out here.

Your Purrecious certainly does display that diva attitude.
They say laughter is a workout for the abs and I always get a good one from Lolcats! More fun than crunches, that's for sure! ;)

thesusanone
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi Shayrar and harmonybelle. Good to meet ya!

Harmonybelle: Did they say the reason for Volumetrics being number 1? What was the criteria for the ranking? Just curious! It would be interesting if the reason is because of the popularity of it. I haven't heard anyone talking about following the volumetrics plan. I stumbled upon the book online.

thesusanone
07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
It's not officially a plateau if you are still losing. Unfortunately our bodies don't always work at the rte we'd most like.

Just figured out (for a different thread) that I've averaged 2.33 pounds a month over the past 30 months for a total of 70 pounds. Forty-five of that was in the first year and, at the time, I thought that was too slow.

Hang tough, chickie . . . :hug:

Thanks meowee. I'll keep on doing what I am doing, with variations on the theme. I do feel a lot better than I did this past February/March. I only have better days ahead, with more energy and well being. So it's all good! Thanks. :D

harmonyBelle
07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Nice to meet you too thesusanone.

I missed the first part of the show, so I'm not entirely sure what the criteria was based on, but one lady (a dietitian?) mentioned something about a study. I got the impression it had something to do with successfully losing the weight and keeping it off. It wasn't about the diet's popularity because they said that a lot of people were probably not as familiar with the Volumetrics program as the others.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I even referred to the show's website before making my initial post and there wasn't much info there either.

meowee
07-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave:

Hot and very sticky weather around here today . . . :mad: . . . this is unusual for us so early in the season and I certainly hope it does NOT continue for too long.

IMHO . . . Volumetrics is usually cited as being a very sound plan (and the book contains a lot of medical/clinical data to back it up) without any gimmicks or phases or special foods . . . and that's also the reason it's not as popular as some of the other plans. :lol:

Way back when I first started the Volumetrics threads (well over a year or year and a half ago just after I was interviewed and quoted in Newsweek about it) it had been reviewed in Consumer Reports and received the same glowing praise. I'll take a look and see if I can dig up the information again.

Anyway . . . how's the weather in your neck of the woods, gang . . . hope it is going to be a great day for everybody. :yes:

Okay . . . here's the link to the Consumer Reports article from their June 2007 issue . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18496858/

Now I'll go see if I can find the Morning show with Mike and Juliet and post a link to that (since Harmony can't post links yet) . . . :lol:

:sorry: . . . I found the show, but can't find any information on the topic . . . maybe Harmony can give me some more clues once she gets here. :yes:

Shayrar
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi TheSusan...its great to meet you too!

Meowee - I was able to see that show from Mike and Juliet as well yesterday. There actually was not much on there yesterday either as the show was running so I'm assuming that there probably will not be much information on their page. I would try consumer reports page if you're interested!

ArtCat
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Welcome Shayrar and Harmonybelle! Now's the time to brush up on your ED foods, because the holiday weekend is coming! Our town always makes a big deal out of it with a parade, craft show, pancake breakfast, penny carnival, music, skydivers and fireworks. Luckily, the weather even looks good this year- no rain and temps not too high. We usually end up with a bunch of people at our house for the day, so I need to stock up on some good food!

gailr42
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I think I read about Volumetrics in Consumer Reports. I had already decided that I needed a plan for how to eat, not how to diet, and Volumetrics fit right in. I eat a lot of food and really enjoy it.

teacher1
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Welcome Harmony!!!

Welcome Shayrar! Is that your wedding coming up?

Shayrar
07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes Teacher....my wedding is on Feb. 21st 2009 so I'm planning planning planning!

gailr42
07-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals!

harmonyBelle
07-03-2008, 01:44 AM
I had an awesome Pad Thai for dinner tonight. It was a collaborative effort between my husband and me. :chef::chef:

In Volumetrics fashion, I started by stir frying loads of vegetables including onions,celery, carrots, broccoli, spinach, red & green pepper. Then rice noodles. Last we added some cooked fresh halibut for protein. Yum! Mango and kiwi for dessert.

No deprivation there. The hardest part of this "diet" is going to be keeping the fridge stocked with fresh produce. And making the time for all that chopping. :carrot:

meowee
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Morning :wave:

Another hot and sticky day with the humidex readings keeping things around the 100F mark. Oh well, I'll just keep reminding myself that I'll soon be complaining about the snow again. :shrug: This is my normal Thursday shopping spree day and it will likely be an indoor event because of the heavy weather.

I hate to wear my sunglasses indoors but seems I will be scaring small children (and maybe large adults, too) if I don't. I had a major hemorrhage in my left eye early last evening and I currently look like something that "came from outer space". I am prone to these, but usually they are just a little red area and go away in a few days. This one is covering the entire white of the eye, which looks almost black at the moment, and it is actually sore which is unusual too -- because the eye feels too big for the socket since it is engorged with so much blood. At least that's the story from the Emergency Department doctor. He assured that it was just a more dramatic version of the regular problem and the eye was not about to shoot out across the room. Because it is so bad, could take a couple of weeks to totally drain instead of a couple of days; but other than that nothing to worry about.

:lol: I have to go an pick up my newly fixed glasses at the optician today -- imagine this will be a little distracting for them as they do the final fitting stuff. :lol:

Anyway . . . hope everybody has a great OP day and that you keep things moving and shaking just as much as you can . . . :carrot:

judipurple
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
OOOOoooooo - ouchee, meowee!!! Just wear those shades, and imagine yourself as just flown in from Hollywood! :cool: Who's to know the difference?:dancer:

Well, been walking all week so far - did double duty yesterday (had to take a group to a local animal park, so walked for a good part of the afternoon). The numbers are continuing to drop - not only on the scale, but I lost two inches on these "thunder thighs" of mine! :cb::carrot::broc:

Heading out to the grocery store for my weekly veggie/fruit stock up - broccoli slaw, cantaloupes, chinese cabbage, cukes, tomatoes, lettuce (starting to get some out of my garden too!), jicama (if I can find it), grapes, and whatever looks good.

Have a good 4th, and a great weekend!:yay:

ArtCat
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh Meowee- my eyes watered as you described yours! Sympathetic eyes, I guess.:cry:

HarmonyBelle- your avatar looks like a picture of me! I've been tempted to get one of those beautiful lady figurines, but haven't yet. I try not to look in the mirror, and never when unclothed!

We had about 5 huge thunderstorms roll through all day yesterday- today everything's wet, cooler and beautiful, although thrown around a bit.

meowee
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Okay . . . brace yourself . . . if you gross-out easily, just skip over this post. :lol3:

teacher1
07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
oh linda- that looks so painful. feel better

nothing exciting going on here. it's cloudy and might rain later so no pool today. i'm preparing for a full day of fun tomorrow.

harmonyBelle
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
moewee, I hope you get some relief soon, that just looks so sore and uncomfortable.

ArtCat - the lovely little lady in my avatar is the Woman from Willendorf. She's carved from limestone, is 4 1/2" tall and about 25,000 years old. It was once believed these kind of figures were objects of worship but now there are other theories including they might have been the earliest forms of pr0n! Regardless, it looks like a lot of care and love went into her creation and she clearly shows an ideal of feminine beauty that is vastly removed from our own.

gailr42
07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Linda! That is just so scarry! Dang...Talk about the evil eye. I hope it stops hurting soon.

I looked at the Lolcats site. Pretty cute. I especially liked the one where the kitten is sleeping in the furry dog's coat.

I am a little person who had 9lb babies. The second child got squeezed so hard that both his eyes were like that when he was born. Took a couple of weeks and many color changes before it went away.

I just had a couple of scoops of ice cream. Work was having a party and I joined in. At least I didn't have a rootbeer float. I prefer my icecream "straight up".

I think I am afraid about loosing the rest of my weight because I know that I will have to give up my little bit of this, a scoop of that, a wedge of something....if I want to keep the weight off permanently. I am pretty happy with the amount of food I can eat to maintain my current weight- no deprivation, no excessive hunger...it's just that I am still overweight!

meowee
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave: . . . and a very happy FOURTH OF JULY to all my buddies on the southern side of "the longest unguarded border in the world". :woo:

judipurple
07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Meowee! Got a picnic with the family and various in-laws, so I'm bringing my chinese coleslaw and a fruit platter - and maybe my mint/green iced tea. Still gotta try this or taste that, but having better choices will get me through - maybe not unscathed, but at least minimizing the damages!:D

I am soooooo pumped - during my walk this morning, I actually jogged up the hill for a short way (about 100 feet) - and since my time was good, I added another 1/3 to 1/2 mile - and added another 100 foot jog! :carrot: For this converted couch potato, that is so major!!!! I can't do too much without additional "protection" :sumo:(having two large newborns stretched certain things out, creating embarrassing sneezing-and other- situations:tape:), but I am just so tickled. WooHoo!!!!:dancer::dancer::dancer:

teacher1
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Happy 4th everyone!!!

Thanks Linda!!

Great job Judi!!!!

My day started with the puppy throwing up twice then I found my milk jug was leaking all in the fridge. Grrrr, I cleaned everything up and now I'm ready for a fun day :) Everyone have a fun and safe day.

harmonyBelle
07-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Happy Fourth to all my American friends!
Enjoy those picnics and BBQs. Remember to fill up mostly on vegies and it'll be ok to sample the other treats.

I have a question. I've been reading Volumetrics and I was wondering if most people who have been losing on this program follow the plans in the book calorie-wise. By itself, does embracing the concept of filling up mostly on low ED foods result in weight loss? Or do most people find calorie counting necessary? I'm fine with keeping a food journal but I really really don't want the tedium of counting calories. I'm aiming for the slow & steady kind of weight loss that sticks rather than the quick & dramatic loss that doesn't.

I finally bit the bullet and stepped on the scales the other day. Was surprised to see I weigh 173.5 lbs. I thought I would be closer to 180. I have to be careful with weigh-ins. I tend to get obsessed with the number on the scales and lose sight of the real issue which is getting my body fit & healthy.

meowee
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I think just following the principles would work for most people as long as you are honestly able to listen to your body and stop eating when you are full. Bottom line is that calories do count no matter what kind of plan you are following; it's just not always imperative to track them carefully.

Having said that of course, as I know I've mentioned around here before, I count everything because I'm diabetic and want to make sure I keep my nutrients balanced as much as possible. Also, I'm the type that needs to journal my food or it's as though I never ate it. :shrug:

Jut don't lose sight of the fact that the number on the scale is only one little part of the picture -- how you feel and how your clothes fit are much more important.

crunchy
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to take the plunge.
I'm 65 years old, and am 5ft 6in tall. I quit smoking a few years ago and gained a lot of weight, (about 30 lbs). I joined WW to try to get it off, and even though I did everything they said to do, I couldn't lose. So I went back to smoking. Then I lost pretty easily and made lifetime. I stayed at lifetime for about 4 years, and then I decided to quit smoking again.
So I quit in July of 2007 and once again gained 30+lbs.
I went off maintenance and started being pretty strict on the core plan a month ago. The weight will not budge.
I own both Volumetrics books, and understand the general idea. It sounds really grand to me, but there is no way I'm going to log my foods or count calories for the rest of my life.
I realize that may work for other people, and I applaud them, but that to me sounds to much like a diet.
So I'm going to try to combine core with volumetrics and see how that works for me. I'll still track my 35 WPA weekly.

meowee
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
:welcome: CRUNCHY . . . glad to have you with us . . . and so very glad you quit smoking again. :yes: I used to be a very heavy smoker (25 to 35 a day) and the best thing I ever did for my self was to quit -- October 26, 1986. Believe me, it does get easier. I think you'll find that Volumetrics will fit in very well with WW core and you can eat lots of low carb, low calorie, low point veggies and soups to fill yourself up.

An a great good morning to everybody else, too, . . . :grouphug: We are having another glorious day of sunny and warm (but not muggy) weather. :yay: Hope yours is good too.

This may sound strange coming from a Canuk, but I had a great 4th. I live in a tourist town and it is our annual Lobster Carnival weekend and since we have so many US visitors, we put on a great display of fireworks over the harbour last night -- and nobody fell in, either. :lol:

teacher1
07-05-2008, 10:16 AM
sounds fun Linda!!!

Welcome crunchy :)

Yesterday turned into a fun family day. The puppy is still sleeping and recovering from all the excitement yesterday.

gailr42
07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Crunchy, I have been on several major diets. I have alway counted calories and written down every bite of food I consumed. I was always perfecly OP, and I lost weight.

This time, at age 65, I just couldn't face any more counting and writing and dietary restriction. I also wanted this to be my last diet, and not because I died of old age :lol:.

What I have been doing is following the volumetric principles and using portion control. At first, I weighed and measured all my meat and complex carb foods, so that I would learn how much is in a portion. I am very careful about added fats and sugar. I do a lot of cooking ahead. I freeze food in portion sized containers so that something is always available to eat in the proper sized serving. As much as possible, I don't have food in the house that isn't on my plan.

Probably for the first six months, I was very strict with myself - no treats. Period. Keeping track of "extras" is hard to do if you don't write it down, but I was disciplined enough to manage this for a few months, anyway.

I haven't lost any weight lately, but I haven't gained, either. I have changed my eating habits considerably over the last year and a half. I think I have spent much more time planning, shopping, reading books, cooking etc than I would have spent if I had just counted calories and written everything down. Amazing the lengths I'll go to avoid something! Anyway, I have learned a lot.

I have done the quitting smoking thing just like you. Wreaks havoc with the old metabolism. I think I have finally quit for good. It has been 14 years this time.

crunchy
07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the nice welcome. I think that either the core plan allows me too much on starchy foods like grains, potatoes, and starchy veggies.
But, so would volumetrics I'm afraid. I guess I just turn into a glutton every time I quit smoking.
This time, I promised myself that as long as I could still get up off the couch without help, I would not let weight gain derail my non-smoking.
One thing I do like about volumetrics is that I can drink V8 without counting it. It would cost me one of my 35 weekly "extras" points.

ArtCat
07-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Welcome crunchy! I think combining the two diet plans is a good idea. Since you know which veggies are the more starchy ones, I would use that knowledge and limit those while allowing yourself more of the "better" ones. You have to work with yourself, not try to trick yourself, and just use any knowledge you can get to make the programs work. It really is a life plan. At this point I don't count calories, but I am aware of what I put in my mouth. My losses have been slow, but it's all become much more of a normal diet for me, so I feel much more certain that this time the weight loss will be permanent. Just remember that any time you think you're getting away with something, you're really hurting yourself in the long run. You're just fighting yourself.

With that said, we had food and stuff ready for the 4th yesterday, and then our company canceled, so I'm left with food I wouldn't usually have around. I need to follow my own advice and quickly give it away, instead of telling myself I deserved these treats and that they won't matter. Luckily I didn't get as carried away as I usually do, and I mostly got stuff that wasn't terribly bad for you. Just some dangerous stuff because our company included some teenagers, and I figured they'd scarf down the sweets and chips.

meowee
07-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Good Luck, LIZ . . . stay strong. :hug:

And, Good Morning to everybody . . . :grouphug:

Looks like another nice sunny day although the humidity is on the rise again. This will make the second year in a row that the Lobster Carnival managed decent weather for all three days.

Hope everybody else has a great day both weather-wise and food-wise. See you later . . . :wave:

gailr42
07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Lobster carnival? Sounds like heaven on earth. Lobsters are pretty low in calories, too.

meowee
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
They certainly are . . . just make sure you stay away from the drawn butter. :lol3:

teacher1
07-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I went shopping last night and got lots of veggies and fruit. Today I'm taking the puppy for a walk and maybe furniture shopping.

judipurple
07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Lobster....with no drawn butter??!!??? Why that's...
that's...
well, dag-nab-it, that's just not right:?:
Given the chance to imbibe in steamed lob-bob-sta (can ya tell I'm from New England?), I will conserve and reserve calories to be able to dip and savor a chunk of hot tail meat dripping in a bit of hot butter! Oh, my Lord, pure-D heaven on earth!!!!:angel::cloud9:

I rarely - VERY rarely - get a chance to eat lobster - to me, truly the Holy Grail of the food department. :hun: So when the opportunity arises, there are certain standards to be met....and maintained!!!!:hungry::drool:

Ahhhhh, but that's dreaming for another day....Back to my reality!

gailr42
07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I haven't had much lobster, but it seems to me that it would be good with a squeeze of lemon. Not that I don't totally understand the drawn butter "standard".:lol: I love all fish and sea food. I even like the fake "Krab".

I have been good today to make up for yesterday's peanut butter. That seems to be the very worst trigger food for me.

crunchy
07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Good morning all.
Meow, I'm so glad I never acquired a taste for lobster. That drawn butter sounds lethal. Crawdads on the other hand, I'm all over when I can find them.
Teacher, that's such a cute puppy.
Gail, I tried the fake krab, and just couldn't get it down. I don't even want my crab frozen. I want it fresh out of the ocean and cooked in seawater in a pot on the beach.
Waving at Judi.
I got my fitday program set up with food in terms of grams instead of ozs. That seemed really weird to me. But now I can figure out my average ED for the day. Yesterday was .46.

teacher1
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Crunchy that's great to know you're average ED.

Yesterday I went on a 3 mile walk/jog with the DB and puppy. My puppy was wiped out after and I was too.

judipurple
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
:wave: Hi Crunchy! Hi everybody!:wave:

Took my walk this a.m. - didn't do any "running" (well, it's more like a slow jog) - this time, but kept at it for an hour. A bit draggy today, but had a busy weekend (two-day show, an hour from here - makes for a loooong couple of days). Happily, I did well, in spite of weather forecasts of doom and gloom!

Bought some soy powder today (unflavored). I find that some days it is difficult to get enough protein, so mixing it into a fruit smoothie gets my percentage up. I try to frequently eat chicken and venison, and am (slowly) adding more fish to my diet, but sometimes (like when the boys want sausage or any other high fat meat) I need to abstain from the meat du jour. The powder is tolerable (better than the chocolate flavored whey powder - oooo - rough:(), so it helps.

Hope you all have a great week!!!

gailr42
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I bought some soy granules and some soy chunks. I tried the granules in meatloaf, but I didn't use enough liquid, so the meatloaf was dry. I thought you just tossed in a cup of granules....:lol:No wonder it was dry. I keep meaning to check for soy recipes on the internet, but it all takes time.

Well, a course we want our sea food freshly captured and cooked in sea water on the beach. I have actually done that with mussels. Yummy!!! I even added a piece or two of seaweed for flavor. Don't know if it made any difference.

meowee
07-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Lobster is just not the same if it isn't cooked in sea water. Luckily, though, I can pass on the butter -- just give me the tail and the claws and I'm happy.

Sorry I hven't been here earlier today -- it has been a busy one -- hopefully tomorrow will allow more computer time. :grouphug:

ArtCat
07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
for Judipurple- that site to sell on is called etsy.com . I have no idea how it works or how good it is, but I think it's an easier option than selling from your own site.

We're having a disappointing year with the veggie garden here- I did harvest green beans and a cucumber for a meal yesterday, but everything else is just slow in coming. We actually grow a really good green bean that's purple and it tastes a little nuttier than the normal ones. When you cook it, it turns green, and the minute it turns green, it's cooked perfectly. We just love it!

judipurple
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks Liz, on that info. I will likely be trying that out next!

Oh, I've tried those "green" beans - :lol:what a riot!!! And when I would can them for pickled beans, I knew the jar was ready when they'd all be green. The vine was very prolific, if I remember right - I couldn't keep the plants picked!

This past year, I grew a yellow, flat italian type pole bean - oh, the flavor was fantastic! Especially eaten fresh - and raw - mmmmmmm. My eldest would always agree to weed that bed - 'cause he'd be out there snacking! Both boys like the raw green beans - can't deny them those kinds of snacks ;).

This year, the beans didn't sprout well at all - I planted better than 60 seeds - and only 8 came up. Can't blame it on the weather, though - in frustration, I started additional seeds in a flat on the porch - lots of sun, heat and rain - but it was the same percentage. Very disappointing.:(

meowee
07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Here I am . . . :wave: . . . Late to the party again.

Started cleaning out closets first thing this morning and I'm now hot and exhausted even with the A/C going; but proud of myself. Eight large bags for the garbage and another three for the SallyAnne. I was ruthless. If it wasn't so hot and humid, I'd tackle the garage while I'm in "the mood", but afraid that will just have to wait.

Have a good day, gang . . . :carrot:

crunchy
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Not much happening here. I'm going to go through my T-tapp stuff and see if I can find some activities that won't mess up my knee again. Maybe just do the chair routines.
Hope everyone is having a great day.

gailr42
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
It is 108°F/42°C. Some how the 42° sounds really awful. Where I used to work, we did temp in C°. When you aren't used to it, it doesn't mean much, but we always knew that over 40° was hot.

ArtCat
07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Boy, Judi- it almost sounds like it was the bean seeds themselves. It's not too late to try again- they recommend several plantings throughout the summer. I'd just get my seeds somewhere else.

Crunchy- what's T-tapp?

Congratulations, meowee, on your clean closets! I'm envious, although I want the clean closets without the work.

I spent yesterday fencing in the vegetable garden- we have several raised beds- because the rabbits have been very prolific this year. We've always had a dog in the past, and he kept things under control. Now that it's summer, I really miss him again. Although, he was terrified of fireworks, so I was happy that he didn't have to live through another 4th of July.

teacher1
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Liz- I'm sorry about your dog. Do you plan on getting another dog? Bruiser sat on my lap during the fireworks because he was so scared but he did look in the sky and watch them.

crunchy
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Liz, T-tapp is exercises designed by Teresa Tapp. I'd post a link to her site, but can't include links yet.
If you google it, you'll find her. The DVD's are expensive, but you can download some free videos to try out.
Making cauliflower poppers today. Think I'll portion them out into zip lock bags so I don't eat the whole head in one day like I did last time I made them.
For those who have never made them,
Cut/break a head of cauliflower into small chunks. Put in ziplock bag, spray Pam in and shake around. Pour on a Pam coated pan and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice. Bake in a 35o degree oven until crunchy and brown.
WARNING Too many of these can lead to excessive time in the bathroom:)
Yes gang, it is possible to eat too many veggies in a day.:)

teacher1
07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Yum Crunchy, I'll have to try your cauliflower poppers.

meowee
07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Yes indeed, they do sound good. I think cauliflower is one of the most versatile inventions known to womankind.

And a happy Thursday morning to one and all . . . :grouphug:

ArtCat
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
lol crunchy! I thought you were tap dancing or a variation of that! and the cauliflower sounds really good- I love cauliflower anyways!

No, teacher, I don't think we're going to get another dog. They're so much work, but I think you really don't realize how much until you don't have one anymore. Plus, we don't have any kids at home anymore, so we're free to come and go as we please, and cats just fit into that home life better. He was 15 when he died, so he was a big part of our lives and left a big hole, so I think that will slowly take time to fill. What we really realized with him was how it's so exciting to get a new pet, but you never think ahead to when they're old and decrepit, and you need to make life decisions about them. It's a really difficult part of owning a pet.

Enough of that- it's the end of strawberry season here, so last night I made a huge salad for dinner with fresh spinach, strawberries, avocado, sliced and toasted almonds and warm chicken. I put on a FF raspberry vinaigrette dressing, and it was delicious! I was thinking it almost sounds like something Gail would make!

crunchy
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Dh even likes the cauliflower poppers and they fill my need for something crunchy.
Liz, I understand about your dog. We lost our old maltese a couple years ago. But we bought another pup a few months before because we knew she was filing fast. Then we rescued a maltese mix from a shelter. He was going to be put down because he was elderly and has lots of health problems.
I have sworn an oath that these are the last dogs.
The little one (6lbs) is a hellion. We've always called him our ratwiller. But the man who came out to set up dh's oxygen last week said he should be called a bratwiller.
When I get around to it, I'll put a pic of him on as my avatar.
Morning all.
Gotta take dh to the Dr. today.

harmonyBelle
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi, just a quickie post to say thanks for the responses to my last post. I've been incorporating Volumetrics principles into my diet this past week and am down 2 lbs. After reading crunchy's post, I'm thinking of combining Volumetrics with the Core as well. The Core literature looks almost like it was lifted from Volumetrics!

But I haven't been doing so well on the exercise front. Instead, like meowee, I've been in closet cleaning mode.

Oops, time is short, better get ready for work!
Hope everyone is having a great week.

meowee
07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Good Morning . . . and I really, really mean that . . . finally the humidity has dropped down to tolerable levels and it is going to be just plain nice today. :yes:

Hope everybody else gets a sunny and pleasant day today, too . . . :grouphug:

gailr42
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
It is still very hot here. It is supposed to "cool down" to a high of 103° by Sunday. It is also still smokey. It is about all I can do to keep up with the watering. We don't have a lot of water pressure, so getting it all done is a bit of a challenge. We also have tons of flies that manage to get in the house.

Yesterday the guy came to install the satellite internet connection. He was here all morning starting at 7am. After he left, I spent quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the system and trying to figure out my new MP3 player.

The heat, the watering, the flies and the computer stuff sort of got to me yesterday, and I didn't do all that well with my eating. Trying to understand the MP3 player is very stressful for me. I am just so totally clueless!

mrsseabeewife
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
hello everyone. I just started Volumetrics yesterday when the book arrived. Im glad to see that there is a thread about this plan. Any tips and advice would be great!
As for me Im 22, married for 3 years with 2 children. Right now we live in MO. but I was born and raised in San Diego for 22 years ( we just moved here about 2 months ago)
But right now Im at 208. Im just doing 10 percents at this time, but I hope one day maybe I can get to 140. But baby steps is what Im doing right now.

crunchy
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Morning all. :)
Harmony, the woman who wrote the volumetric book was on staff at WW when the core plan was designed so they are very similar. Then they had a parting of the ways. Don't know why. So there are some minor differences.
It is supposed to be hot again today. Hope this breaks and we get some rain soon. I live in Oregon, so we are used to lots of rain, but not day after day of a strange yellow ball in the sky.
Welcome Beewife. Glad you joined us. If you have any questions about the core plan that some of us are using along with Volumetrics, I'd be glad to share what I know.

teacher1
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Welcome Beewife!!!!!

Gail- Technology drives me crazy. I always have the DB read the manuel and show me how to work them. I'm more of a visual learner.

Crunchy- What kind of seasoning do you use on your poppers? I was thinking of doing a roasted veggies mix. Anyone know if you can roast mushrooms in the oven or would they just wilt and get gross. I know we use cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers on the grill.
Also, yesterday we got our new health plan for the year. The new change is a $600 charge if you're a smoker. I thought of you and how great that you'd kicked it. My brother is going to have to pay. He's young and doesn't listen to all the health problems related to smoking. Next year, they're looking at adding a charge if you're overweight. So I really need to step up or I'll have to pay up. Ahhh

crunchy
07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I use Lawry's seasoning salt for me, Mrs. Dash (different flavors) for hubby. He can not have the regular fake salts because they interfere with his bp meds. And he is on a low sodium diet.
If you like spicy, the cajun spices are nice.

ArtCat
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome beewife! I also started with a 10% weight loss goal- it makes it all a little less overwhelming. Make sure you have a great reward in mind for yourself when you get there. I lived in St Louis, MO for a while growing up- you'll notice right away that you have a lot more weather stuff to deal with. Especially in comparison with So Calif!

My dh smokes, too, and I hate it. Unfortunately, it's one of my bigger migraine triggers.

I bought the cauliflower- now I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down a bit so I can run my oven without suffering. We woke up to rain, so maybe today's the day if things continue to cool off.

Happy weekend everyone!

meowee
07-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi there everybody . . . :wave: . . . and a big :welcome: to our newest member.

gailr42
07-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Welcome Beewife.

LOL, Crunchy, I lived in Seattle for many years. I like the desert better in spite of my complaining about the heat.

Speaking of the heat, we had an official high temp of 111F/44C three days in a row. No wonder I was feeling so bad. It is much cooler today - we are forcasted to have a high of 103.

After several days of very bad eating, I hope I am back on track. This morning I made the chili ranchero from the volumetrics book. I did substitute a couple of things, but it seems good and a little different with the cocoa in it. The seasoning is fairly mild which is good with me. The recipe says to add hot sauce to taste. I didn't add any and it was just right for me. I had 2/3 cup of it and a huge green salad with home grown tomatoes for lunch.

My breakfast was oatmeal, a bowl of yougurt with fresh raspberries and 1.5 tsp honey. I also ate two small clementines - about the size of a golf ball. I am gong to make something with scallops for supper. I already have my huge green salad made.

While I was on my "hiatus" of bad eating, I did manage to eat my oatmeal for breakfast.

meowee
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Another gorgeous day for us and as soon as my hair dries (just got out of the shower) I'm going to go out and enjoy it for a while. :yay:

Hope everybody else has good weather too . . . :crossed: for a below 100 day for you, Gail.

crunchy
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a successful week. I stayed at just below 1200 ave cals/day for the whole week and showed a loss of 3 1/2 lbs.
I do not want to lose that fast (muscle loss is not what I'm after), so I'm going to track again, increase my caloried, eat mostly core foods, track my WPA and journal all my food in Fitday. But I'm going to eat to satisfaction. I didn't do that last week. And I went to bed hungry a number of times.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day. That strange yellow ball is still hanging up there in the sky. I think it may be a UFO. LOL

teacher1
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Congrats on the weight loss Crunchy!!

Everyone have a great day.

gailr42
07-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I seared scallops in a bit of olive oil. When they were done, I warmed a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, some trader Joe's raspberry vinaigrette and a few fresh raspberries in the pan juice. I put the scallops on a bed of watercress, poured the juice/berry mix over all. I served it with bulgur and a green salad. The raspberries were very tasty with the scallops. You just want to barely warm the berries/dressing. I think if you got it too hot the berries would turn to mush.

judipurple
07-13-2008, 07:08 PM
mmmmm - Gail, that sounds heavenly! Isn't this time of year just lovely for the fresh fruits and veggies available? I am looking forward to trying out some recipes that will use some of the cucumbers popping up in the garden - one is a cold tzatziki soup from a cookbook I took out from the library. I have several weeks to wait though - they're only an inch long right now. There is a tomato soup recipe, too - with garlic and basil.

mrsseabeewife
07-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. The past couple of days have been going well. Its deffinatly a challenge to change eating habits that you have had for years.
Today was a beautiful day out and the family and I went out and spent the day at the river, and to top it off the hubby made fish and yummy veggies for a dinner.

meowee
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave: . . . although not much is great around here this morning -- both the tempertures and the humidity are on the rise and there's rain in the forecast. In addition to that, I woke up this morning to a couple of little cat-damage cleanups; an extra pound on the scale; and a much too high bllod sugar reading. Hey, this too will all pass. :yes:

judipurple
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Yep - rain in the forecast... Ours came while I was on my walk - I thought it had stopped, but...
:rain:
I was wrong. And, subsequently, came home soaked nearly through. Managed to get in 45 minutes, anyway. I needed to - didn't walk yesterday - didn't do much yesterday!

Even if the weather-bug says rain, hope you all find a bit of :sunny: somewhere in your travels today.

crunchy
07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Not much happening here. The recipes sound so yummy. But my hubby refuses to eat anything except pretty plain cooking. And he will not eat scallops at all. I'm staying on track and trying to move more.

meowee
07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Oh . . . CRUNCHY . . . the man doesn't know what he is missing; scallops are my favourite thing -- has he ever actually tried one, or does he just think he doesn't like them?

And a great big Good Morning :grouphug: for everybody.

Looks like another less than delightful day for us -- hot and steamy with thunderstorms predicted for this afternoon. :mad: Oh well, sounds like a good day for getting stuff done around the house. :shrug:

Hope the rest of you get better weather . . . see you later . . . :wave:

ArtCat
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I can relate with you, Crunchy- my DH has always been a very plain eater. Over the years I've just kept exposing him to different foods (like you'd do for a picky child), and eventually he's gotten better at trying different things. If I want to try something new, I don't use many spices- for some reason this helps- and I also include something in the dinner that I know he'll love. Lately he's been trying to cook, and since he's done that he's moved leaps and bounds ahead as far as trying new things. Maybe it's because he feels more in control of it all? He's been grilling a lot lately, too, and trying new things out there. I really don't know how this started, but I'm welcoming it! It helps, too, that our kids ended up being adventurous eaters, and they challenge him.

I made the cauliflower poppers yesterday. I can see how you could eat a whole head in one sitting. First, they're really good, and second, the cauliflower kind of shrinks down so it's like you're not eating as much. I was good, though, and only ate half. I put the rest in the fridge, but now won't they be soggy, not crunchy? I seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder, and they ended up being in the over for 1 hour and 15 min. Does that sound about right?

teacher1
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm going to the store tomorrow and cauliflower is on my list. We're getting the carpets cleaned today because the puppy is still struggling with house training. I love him but he's so much work.

meowee
07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

SSDD -- weather report last night said it was going to be cooler and not as muggy today -- weather report this morning has changed it's mind. :mad:

Hope the rest of you are getting a glorious kind of day. :grouphug:

ArtCat
07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
It's been getting hot and muggier here lately- good for the veggie garden, not so good for fat old ladies.

Tomorrow I head off for the Ann Arbor Art Fair- I'm still struggling quite a bit with my plantar fasciitis (heel pain), so I'll just take it easy and only see the really good parts. But the bonus is that I get to meet up with my kids afterwards for dinner! I'll be thinking of judipurple- you're the craft fair one, right? After a while I get everyone mixed up...

judipurple
07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep, Artcat, that be me! Thanks for the reminder - I have to get my glutius maximus back to work! Enjoy the art show (take it easy on that heel!)!

We went to a Renaissance Fair last weekend - WOW :eek: - the outfits were incredible, the shows and crafters were interesting, and we all had great fun! My teenage sons and DH were impressed with the swords and weaponry, and I just soaked up the Celtic music and cool clothing. It put some ideas in my head for future creations. A mini-vacation enjoyed by all!

teacher1
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
hi all- a busy morning. the puppy got hives so we had to do a quick vet visit this morning. they said it was an allergic reaction. we're not such what caused it but it sure had me worried.

meowee
07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi . . . :wave:

Another sunny, hot, sticky day -- we need a good solid rain around here. If you've got any to spare, ship some my way, please. :grouphug:

teacher1
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
hi everyone- my brother had a baseball game tonight and the weather was perfect. tomorrow the puppy goes to get fixed. yikes!

meowee
07-18-2008, 06:52 AM

Another hot and sticky one -- getting downright tiresome -- we've had more days of high humidity in the past week or two than we usually get all season. :yikes: Still no rain in the forecast, but it is actually looking alittle overcast right now. :crossed:

I'm sure 'puppy' will sail right through the surgery . . . they usually do. :yes:

ArtCat
07-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Another hot and muggy one for us here, too. Looks like rain for the weekend, so that'll help. I need to quit my whining and just go outside and get my work done!

teacher1
07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Bruiser is in surgery now getting fixed. It was sad he was so happy going to the vet. The weather here is hot and rainy. I have a busy weekend with the DB birthday party. Everyone have a great weekend.

meowee
07-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Gang . . . :wave:

We hve finally had a little rain -- not enough, mind you, but it's a start. :yes:

judipurple
07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Howdy-do, neighbors! We've had the 3 H's these last several days (and nights) - feel like I'm walking in a steam bath! 90+ degree days, yuck!:hot: But the tomato and pepper plants are happy campers!

This morning the breeze was very warm, in spite of the early hour (6:15am), and the air quality was not good, so I didn't push the walk - just paced myself, but still managed to do the three miles in under 65 minutes (I have a short but steep hill to contend with). :running:

Keep cool !!!

meowee
07-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi there . . . :wave:

Fiestyfriend
07-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi! I wanted to drop out of lurkdom to introduce myself in this thread -- I discovered Volumetrics today through some heavy-duty Googling best diets, etc. and was shocked when WW (a plan I have pledged myself to over and over again) came in second. What is this Volumetrics? A cult, perhaps? ;-) I picked up the Eating Plan book today (and ordered the Weight Plan paperback edition online) and am encouraged. The food looks amazing, to be sure...I'm looking forward to reading more about the plan when the other book arrives this week.

I know from reading previous posts that this plan is similar to the Core plan -- unfortunately, that was a plan I never tried. I always tried (and failed) at Flex. I don't know why I kept going back to that plan.

Looking forward to discussing the program/philosophy more with you in the days/weeks to come.

Marianne

meowee
07-20-2008, 07:33 PM
:welcome: Marianne . . . glad to hve you joining us . . . :hug:

teacher1
07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Welcome Marianne!!!!

The weekend has been filled with family time. The summer is flying by. I only have 2 and 1/2 more weeks until I'm back to work. Tomorrow I plan to hit the pool.

ArtCat
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Welcome Marianne! A lot of people use Volumetrics and WW together, so I guess that would be the ultimate 1-2 punch!

Teacher- you sure start school early! I don't think they start here until around Labor Day.

I did OK over the weekend, but I think I need to start writing things down. Unless I'm in that 6 mos. maintaining period that gail's in- then I'm OK.

teacher1
07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
The teachers go back to work on Aug. 7 and the students start Aug. 14. Yes, we start early.

The weather is so hot here. It's getting hard to run errands cause it just drains your energy.

meowee
07-22-2008, 07:08 AM

Sorry I was missing yesterday -- mainly because we finally got rain (and are still getting more) -- BUT, although my lawn is very happy, it has come at a price since it is part of the tropical storm system, Cristobal, and has high winds and thunder/lightening with it.

It's fairly quiet right now, so wanted to take advantage of the lull for a quick HI to everybody.

ArtCat
07-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you get a lot of weather, meowee!

So, I wrote everything down yesterday, but no amounts and no calorie count. I don't know how useful that was, but I guess I'm starting slow. I can see why people would rather use a point system- I think it would be easier. I'm a bad estimator, too, so I'll probably have to actually measure stuff to get an accurate reading.

teacher1
07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I made the cauliflower poppers today. Yum and the DB liked them too.

It's sooo hot here.

gailr42
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Marianne! We're a cult, alright. LOL.

I have been busy with various stressful things over the last two weeks. I haven't done well with my eating, but I am hoping I can get back on track here.

meowee
07-23-2008, 07:33 AM

It is still raining off and on but nothing like yesterday. Wowee, my grass, bushes, and weeds, are just looking so green and lush they are almost glowing -- amazing what a good soaking can do. :yes: All in all, we got off fairly easily. Unfortunately, I hear on the news this morning that Texas is about to get hit by a real hurricane. Hope it's a mild one. :crossed:

My eating has been pretty good but I've been slacking off on the exercise again -- blaming it on the high humidity, but it's really just my in-born laziness.

Have a good day . . . :carrot:

judipurple
07-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I, too, have slacked off on the walking - I skipped today, 'cause my left knee has been complaining:( when I go up stairs. It helped, tho, to ease the guilt when I saw it was raining! I didn't notice any pain during yesterday's walk (part of which has a decent hill), but for the rest of the day, I knew my knee wasn't right. Only slightly swollen, and not excruciating, but a distinct twinge. So, I'll take today off (going shopping, but no hills or stairs), and try again tomorrow.

Dang-it, I thought losing twenty+ and walking would help, not hurt! :?: Just gotta keep the numbers down, and keep losing.

ArtCat
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Went to the local farmer's market yesterday and it made my day! I bought blueberries, peaches, cherries, apricots, plums, zucchini, beets and a bouquet of flowers for myself. They also had the first corn of the season, but it was too expensive. Now all I need are nectarines...
I LOVE summer food!

teacher1
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow lots of yummy food Liz.

Tonight we had beginning obedience. As usual Bruiser was a mess. I think he'll have to repeat the class.

gailr42
07-24-2008, 12:02 AM
ArtCat, my mouth is watering. I want to go get some peaches, but life seems to be getting in the way of outtings.

Poor Bruiser! I'm sure he will get the hang of it eventually. He is a sweet doggie. A'course my doggie isn't trained to do anything and she is a nut case besides...We live way out in the boonies, and a trip to the vet is traumatic for her because she is not used to seeing cars, people, other dogs etc etc. She doesn't bite or threaten, she just goes sort of crazy jumping around.

ArtCat
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
My daughter's going to look at lab/boxer puppies this weekend. I know a lot about labs, just not as much about boxers- that's what Bruiser is, right teacher? Do you think that's a good mix? They look a little heavier on the lab gene pool side. They're very cute, of course.

meowee
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM

The sun is actually trying to shine for the first time in days . . . looks like a good day for the weekly "mall-crawl". I'll be on the hunt for more local strawberries and blueberries, although I fear the season is just about over.

Hope everybody has a good one . . . :carrot:

teacher1
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
yum-all this fruit talk is making me hungry.

Liz- I think a lab/boxer mix would make a great dog. My dog is full boxer and is a wild man. I think he has ADHD. If your daughter gets one please post a picture. Labs are wonderful dogs. Boxers are social like labs but more energetic.

judipurple
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, yeah, boxers are the "special" children of the doggie world - my sister breeds and shows boxers, and the running joke is trying to get a boxer to complete the part of a show that requires them to sit, walk, heel, listen, be polite - they really have focus issues. They remind me of some of the 1st grade boys on my school bus - sweet as all getout, but need to be constantly reminded "no, your feet belong on the floor, not on the window" or "climbing under the seat isn't a good idea"...never dull, to be sure!!!!

The lab/boxer mix should be a great one - both breeds are real lovers, with big hearts (not so much the brains, but...:hyper:). I have a chocolate lab, and she tends to be a wee bit species-confused. She was raised with cats, and whenever we get a mouse in the house, she is after it with amazing focus. However, the bad side of that is when she decides to run after it and catch it - picture a 90 pound mouser - furniture tends to fly!:yikes: Of course, one of the cats is also a wee bit confused - he has been known to chase a football across the yard - never certain what to do with it when he catches up with it! :dunno:

The animals are a real source of laughter and happiness in our house - wouldn't trade 'em for anything!

meowee
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM

We seem to be right back into sunny, hot, and humid again. :mad: Hey, at least no shovelling is required. :lol:

Have a great day. . . :carrot:

teacher1
07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
hi all- I had my first garden tomatoes of the season. Yum!!! Tomatoes are my favorite food.
It's sooo hot here too. It will be in the hundreds all weekend. No big weekend plans. Everyone have a great weekend :)

meowee
07-26-2008, 09:20 AM
:wave:

ArtCat
07-26-2008, 10:12 AM
We're going to my DH's 35 year high school reunion tonight- I need to remember to eat something healthy before I leave home so I don't eat so much junk there. Hopefully my plan works...

meowee
07-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi gang . . . :grouphug:

Eating was not a problem for me yesterday. About all I did was try to sleep. Woke up yesterday morning with a terrible migraine -- couldn't stand any light or moise -- to the point that I turned off my A/C units and my dehumidifier. Luckily we had a fairly overcast day and a decent breeze, but the house did get awfully warm and muggy by the end of the day. Today, no headache :yay: so the noisy appliances are back on. Good thing, too since the sun is back with a vengeance and it's going to be even hotter and more humid today according to the forecast.

Hope you all have a great Sunday and do lots of fun stuff . . . :carrot:

teacher1
07-27-2008, 10:51 AM
hi all- this afternoon I'm off to lunch with a friend. everyone have a great day.

gailr42
07-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I know what you mean about noisy appliances. Sometimes they bother me even when I don't have a headache.

Well, I have completed about three weeks of really bad eating. I am afraid to weigh myself. My DH was gone to Savannah for more than two weeks, we had a heatwave and a really big rain storm and the power was out for a day while he was gone. I also took care of the neighbors pets/chickens and yard while they went away for a week. While they were gone, some animal mauled one of their cats to death. I felt so bad about that. Anyway, the aforementioned and a few other things conspired to really stress me out and all my good habits flew out the window. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot, but I can't remember when I have been so stressed. For some reason, the heat has really gotten to me this summer. It's not like it is a surprise or anything:lol:. This weekend, DH's son and DIL were here with their four kids. They have terrible eating habits - they bring tons of junk food to share, and of course I ate it. So...it is time for me to get back on track. I sure hope I can do it. I guess I will start by weighing myself in the AM.

meowee
07-28-2008, 08:38 AM

Hey GAIL . . . we all have meltdowns as we wander along this long bumpy road to better health and fitness . . . and stress does most of us in lots of times. Just pick yourself up and start moving forward and downward again . . . :hug:

Anyway, I am running late this morning, so I'd better get myself moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
You've got company,gail, because I'm in a slump myself right now. My neighbor is counting carbs and doing well, so I'm thinking that doing that along with Volumetrics might help. Something needs to. My foot's still messed up, so I still can't walk, and that's my excuse.

meowee
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
That's one of the beauties of Volumetrics . . . it combines well with a lot of other plans . . . I use it in combination with a low GI/GL plan because of my Diabetes.

teacher1
07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
hi all- i have a busy day ahead of me. I'm going to the ortho this morning to get my invisalign express. It's the clear trays to take care of some minor spacing. I had braces as a teenager and never worn my retainer. So we'll see what happens. I've been reading about it on-line and people have such mixed experiences with it. I'll need to wear them all the time except when eating, drinking, and brushing my teeth. So maybe I'll be more aware of what I'm eating and lose weight. That's my hope, fixed teeth and weight loss.
In the afternoon, I off to the doctor. I fell July 18 on a wet driveway and hurt my tailbone. I've been resting but it still hurts to sit on for any length of time. I know he'll just say take it easy and take pain medicine but my DB is pushing me to go. Plus, with school around the corner better to check now than take off work.
Everyone have a great day.

gailr42
07-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Was I halucinating or did I see some celebrity (maybe Valerie Bertinelli) Saying she had lost weight on some commercial program (maybe Jennie Craig) by eating whatever they said and "using volumetric principles"??? This was a tv add and I was just passing through the room and didn't really see the whole thing. Anyone know what it was that I saw?

I weighed myself this morning. I can't believe that I haven't gained anything after all the peanut butter, chocolate, rice krispie treats, bacon ( I had more bacon this weekend than I have had in the last 1.5 years), etc etc that I have eaten in the last three weeks. I weigh 145 which is what I have been weighing all along except for a couple of days when I weighed 142. I left the 142 on my ticker as inspiration. I probably should change it back to 145.

In addition to the above mentioned, I have eaten a huge number of tomatoes. We have really had a lot of them. I doubt that anyone ever got fat eating tomatoes, so this is a good thing.

I looked through my Martha cookbook last night. I am going to make myself apricot stuffed chicken breast and spinach salad with dried cherries for dinner tonight. I need to renew my vows to healthy, but yummy food.

judipurple
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
hey Gail - wanna trade some of those 'maters for a big ol' load of cukes?:T I am getting overwhelmed here - I put up 14 jars of pickles on Thursday, walked out to the garden and picked another 20#...gave away most of those, but just went out there again and brought in more!!!:faint: Sigh... I love to eat cukes, don't get me wrong - but with DH and the boys at scout camp this week, I am hard-pressed to keep up with the garden! Hmmm -I wonder if the dog likes cucumbers....:chin: She's a Lab - they'll eat anything!

Well, I am taking advantage of the largesse of the summer - hummus and veggies for lunch (what few bean plants I have are giving me just enough to snack on!) - so it's green and yellow beans, red pepper, snap peas, jicama, and (of course) CUKES. That and some pita chips and I'm good to go. (I didn't grow the jicama and peas, and the peppers aren't quite there yet)

gailr42
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, wouldn't I love some cucumbers. There is nothing better than a garden fresh cuke except maybe a garden fresh tomato. I have a couple of greek salad recipes that I like which call for cucumbers.

judipurple
07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
one I like is (not sure on the spelling) tzaziki - I even found a soup version (cold soup) - I will give it a shot this week - hope it doesn't make too much!

tonight's supper - sauteed chicken breast (boneless/skinless), over salsa, with a garnish of garlic chips (my garlic crop was terrific!), and a side of sliced cukes sprinkled with a touch of sea salt.

feels weird eating alone - but, not one word of complaint over the food choices and quantities!

Spent the day working around the house - my focus (and, one of my summer goals) is our bedroom- I hope to have it cleaned and painted before the kids & DH come home. And have the cherries pitted and dehydrated (found a store that was selling them for only $1/ pound!). And another batch of pesto in the freezer. And do SOMETHING with these cukes.

And last (but certainly not least) - get some quality time with the hammock!

gailr42
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
This was fabulous!!!! I just barely coated the bottom of the pan with evoo. I used light goat cheese and I used panko crumbs. It was perfectly browned and delicious. For the pesto, I chopped mint and almonds very finely by hand. Then I mixed in just enough oil to make it stick together and spread it on the chicken. Not really pesto, but the flavor was there. I will certainly be making this again.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=1eb356866a80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCR D&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=type_1&autonomy_kw=almond-apricot+chicken

I also made spinach salad with dried cherries. I can't seem to make the computer fetch the recipe. It was good, too. Spinach, red onion, dried cherries, toasted pumpkin seeds with a red wine/dijon vinaigrette. I served bulgur with the salad and chicken.

ArtCat
07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I had some leeway on my numbers, too, but I blew that, plus I need to move my ticker up one. Bummer. But it is Farmer's Market day again, and maybe this time I need to get more veggies and less fruit.

meowee
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM

OMG . . . I'm having one of those days when nothing seems to go right. :(

gailr42
07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I have had a bunch of those days, but today seems to be going OK.

Judy, that tzatziki is one of the things I like to make with cucumbers.

I have made two loaves of 100% Whole Wheat bread today. They are just about ready to go into the oven. I also have some yogurt working away. My sprouts are ready to eat now. I am feeling pleased that I have some healthy food underway.

gailr42
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
My bread came out absolutely perfect. This time I didn't put flax seed meal and oat bran in it. Even though those two things are healthy, the bread is better without them. At least it is 100% whole wheat.

This is what I fixed for supper tonight. The picture in the actual cookbook is much better than this one - it shows the green of the peas and mint and the pink of the salmon. The dish itself is quite tasty. I have made it at least once before.

When I make these recipes, I always measure the pasta and meat/fish to be one serving and use as little oil/butter as possible. That probably alters the recipe a bit, but it still tastes good. I never tell about the stuff I make that doesn't come out good. :lol:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/farfalle-with-salmon-mint-and-peas

meowee
07-30-2008, 07:24 AM

Mixed bag of weather in the forecast for us today -- so far, fairly pleasant temperature but overcast and a little muggy.

Gail, your recipes always sound good -- even this one and I don't like mint. :lol: The picture does look a little bland compared to what the ingredients would suggest.

Hope everybody has a great OP day . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
That picture looks like a tuna noodle cassarole with mostly noodles. The actual dish has relatively fewer noodles. Usually they show the same picture as the book. For some reason this one is different.

We have a mint plant that manages to survive the heat. I have learned to like fresh mint in lots of different things. I wish I could get basil to grow like the mint does.

meowee
07-30-2008, 11:18 AM
:love: Basil

teacher1
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
it's been busy with the family. My sister is moving. we might have her boxer for a little while. Bruiser would love the company.

meowee
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM

SSDD -- hot, sunny and humid weather -- continuing the battle with the fruit flies (they are still winning).

We are not going to do the usual Thursday mall-crawl for a change -- have to go tomorrow instead.

Planning a big bowl of mussels for lunch . . . yummy. Dinner will probably be the BIG salad with some blueberries and feta cheese with the good old Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Have a good one, gang . . . :carrot:

gailr42
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I love, love, love mussels. Yummy. You probably get really good ones, locally.

I am not crazy about blueberries and they are supposed to be so healthy! I hadn't thought about trying them with cheese in a salad. I have some feta and I have some blue berries. I am thinking romaine lettuce, blueberries and feta. Is there anything else that should go in it?

My DH made tacos last night. He makes his own beans and rice to go with. I made my taco with just a dab of meat, some beans and covered it all with a hand full of my dinner salad, including sprouts and tomatoes. The sprouts on the taco were really good. I added some salsa verde as a very top layer.

meowee
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM
I like a little Spanish or Vidalia onion and the crowning glory is the good Balsamic vinegar -- just seems to blend everything together so well. I even used it as a dipping sauce for my Mussels. :love: the stuff and IMHO worth every penny it costs. :D

gailr42
07-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Well, I am in business. I have some homegrown red onion and and a couple of bottles of expensive balsamic vinegar...I know expensive doesn't necessarily mean good, but I didn't know how else to choose.

Tomorrow, we are going to the nearest big city (about 100 miles) to Costco, Trader Joe's and finally out a ways to the peach orchard. The Elbertas are ripe!!!

ArtCat
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I know what you mean about the fruit flies, meowee- with all the fresh farmer's market fruit, fruit flies are a staple. I've been using some sort of lure/trap which works about half the time- do you have any better suggestions? They're so annoying, and I don't like the thought of them getting at my fruit all day long.

teacher1
08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
ahh, i got in lots of exercise today by helping my sister move. the bad thing is we're under a heat advisory.

judipurple
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Aaaah, Teach, pleeeeze be careful! Keep hydrated, and I hope you rested often.

I just got back from the ER - eldest son got a bad sprained ankle at camp today, jumping off a diving board. We thought for sure it was broken, but luckily, a combination of lotsa milk, the grace of God and a strong Swedish bone structure kept the damages at a minimum. He is hurting, but it's tolerable. Whew...

I responded (afterwards) with a handful of corn chips - but, not the whole bag! Not great, but manageable.

At least he got to go through almost the whole week, earned a couple more merit badges - and had a great time. This is his last year, so he is happy, in spite of the injury.

meowee
08-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Most of my Friday was spent at the hospital too -- took my buddy LouLou in for a strange kind of intestinal catscan -- turns out she is the one in 50,000 that has a negative reaction to either the liquid she had to drink or the dye they gave her interveinously -- she alsmost died. :yikes: Everything seems to be okay now; she is home and resting fairly comfortably.

This is a long weekend for us so naturally the forecast is for three days of solid rain. :shrug: It isn't quite raining yet, but it soon will be, I'm sure. At least it isn't hot out there for a change. :dizzy:

Have you tried vinegar for your fruit flies? Take a clean glass jar with a screw on lid. Punch a few holes in the lid with a nail. Put about 1 tbsp of vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap in the jar, add about 2 inches of water and shake a bit. Put on the lid and stick the whole thing in an area where you see the most FF's.

And then there's the banana-bag. Stick a very ripe banana (or even just the peel) into a small zip-lock bag and stick it on the counter. After a few hours, sneak up and quickly zip the bag closed and toss the whole thing in the garbage. Also works with other fruit trimmings, but not as well as banana.

See you soon . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Meowee- I'll try both!

gailr42
08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Love the one where you sneak up on the fruit flies!:lol:. We have had a huge problem with regular house flies this summer. We try not to leave any doors open and are careful with food scraps, but still they come. I tried some of that sticky paper stuff. It is so disgusting to see the flies dieing a terrible death....Yuck!!!!

We got our peaches yesterday. They aren't quite ripe, but we ate some anyway. They are really good.

I had Linda's blueberry salad for lunch today. I chopped some romaine lettuce, added some very thinly sliced red onion circles, a few sprouts, the feta and blueberries. I sprayed generously with balsamic vinegar, and lightly with evoo. I sprinkled some coarse ground pepper over top. The salad has a refreshing quality and is very good.

gailr42
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I did better today than I have been doing. I ate no junk at all. It seems to me that if I can avoid the junk, I have pretty good control over my weight.

For supper I grilled and sliced a little piece of tri-tip (2 oz uncooked), three shrimp, a bunch of mini peppers and onions and a tiny potato. I dumped all this on a big pile of spinach and tomatoes, dressed it with Trader Joe's balsamic vinaigrette and ate! It was good.

meowee
08-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Yesterday it rained -- today it's raining -- they are now saying it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before we see any sun. At least it isn't hot. :yes:

I had a blueberry salad for breakfast. :lol:

meowee
08-04-2008, 07:25 AM

It's Monday . . . it's a Holiday . . . it's very dull and there's more rain in the forecast. :shrug:

I'm talking to myself again . . . :rofl:

ArtCat
08-04-2008, 07:43 AM
What's your Holiday today, meowee? My calendar says Civic Holiday for Canada- what is it?

meowee
08-04-2008, 07:48 AM
An excuse for a long weekend in August . . . :lol: . . . it's called Natal Day here in Nova Scotia (just for lack of a better name, I think).

teacher1
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
hi all- Thursday I go back to school. So the first of the week I plan to run errands and enjoy my last few days of freedom.

judipurple
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh, Teacher1, enjoy this time - we don't go back until after Labor Day, so you have my sympathies!:hug: This summer has just flown by!

meowee
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
:dunno: -- it's raining -- and today I must go to the grocery store. Guess I'll call running between the raindrops extra exercise.

Hope things are better where you are. :yes:

judipurple
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
oh, what a morning. Bad, with some good mixed in to temper it.

I had a tooth collapse - so this morning, it was extracted. :headache: And, boy, I am one sore puppy. Gee what fun. The numbness is wearing off, and the advil hasn't really kicked in yet - the ice helps a bit, but....:(

So, being the glutton I am, after the extraction, I drove over to the health center for my annual bus driver physical. And that's where the good news comes in - my scale is almost exactly on - I am down to 201 - with clothes on!!!! I expect it to drop further in the next day or so (since my eating abilities are compromised), so I might see one-derland (briefly)!!!!!! It's been many, many years since I've been this low!!!:D:hyper::cp::hat: Happy day!

I expect the numbers to bounce back after I resume regular eating habits, but it would be nice if I could hold them at whatever low point I get to. We shall see....:chin:

teacher1
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats Judi!!!

I'm off to my classroom this afternoon to set up my fish tank.

ArtCat
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Congratulations Judi! I made it into onederland a little while ago, and it's been surprising how hard it is to stay there. There seems to be some mental issue in relation to it- I'm not really sure why, because it's something I really want. I could use a therapist to come live with me for a while, I think. Eating and weight is such a complicated issue- much more than calories and exercise!

Sorry your vacation is done Teacher- I hope all your classrooms are air conditioned, because we're still in the middle of summer!

The nectarines are finally ripe now! I love nectarines!

My kids are coming home this weekend for a wedding, so I'm excited, but that also means a weekend full of "bad" food. I'm finally starting to realize, at this late age, that cheating on my diet is only hurting me, and no one else. If I can stay conscious of that this weekend, it will help. I'll also be sure to have plenty of "good" food around so I have some options. Now I have to go clean the house.

judipurple
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Cat & Teacher! This morning, I was delighted to actually see 199 on the scale! :carrot::cb::broc: I don't know if it'll stay under the 200 mark (hope so!), but I'll take it!

I'm a little nervous about the weekend - We're heading up to my brother's place in NH, and will be camping and partying (his 50th). I will be without access to the computer, and around a load of Mexican food (that's the theme). I will be bringing up as much as I can for "good" food choices, but it'll be tough. I plan on walking as much as possible, and keeping a written log. Wish me luck!

meowee
08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Strange day -- the sun is shining and I've got a bit of a headache -- both blood sugar level and weight were up this morning, too. :shrug:

gailr42
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, best wishes to those of you who are starting work soon. It seems like school starts earlier ever year. When my kids first went to school, they started after Labor Day. By the time they finished HS, school started in mid-August. It is much too hot here to be going to school in August!!!! Oh well, they do what they do.

Congrats on entering onederland, Judi! That's great.

meowee
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM

Life seems to be back to normal this morning . . . it's raining again . . . :lol:

teacher1
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Congrats Judi!!!!

Ahh, back to school. It was a long day filled with meetings. The kiddos come back next Thursday.

meowee
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM

meowee
08-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi there . . . :mag:

teacher1
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
hi all- a cloudy day here in kansas. my db and i are off to the zoo for a date day. the puppy is headed to grandma's house for the day.

meowee
08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Hello again . . . :wave:

Rained all night and looks like overcast and muggy for today. At least I stayed OP yesterday (makes 2 in a row, now :yay:).

Have a great sunday, gang . . . :grouphug:

teacher1
08-10-2008, 03:49 PM
it's raining here too. the zoo was fun yesterday and the bonus of lots of walking.

ArtCat
08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I had a great weekend with my kids and lots of fun going to my son's friend's wedding. I sent all the "bad" food home with the kids, and I don't think I'll come out too bad weight-wise. I weighed the same this morning, but sometimes things like this weekend need time to process in your body, so I'll have to check back on my numbers later this week. Hope everyone else had a good weekend, too!

meowee
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM

Happy to say I've strung together 3 OP days, but the weight is absolutely stuck on my ticker number . . . could be worse, obviously.

Nothing exciting for this week so far -- weather turned out better than predicted yesterday and today it is predicted to be just about what yesterday ended up being -- :dizzy: -- wonder what will actrually unfold?

Hope everybody else has a great moving and shaking good day ahead. . . :carrot:

judipurple
08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Everybody! I'm back from the camping trip and birthday party. Had a great time, and after inputting my food into Fitday, I found I didn't do too bad, overall. Too much salt & fats - chips, hot dog (half), sausage, bacon, french fries (sister with the camper brought her fryer) - but, in spite of eating foods not usually OP, my numbers weren't too excessive. I kept a lid on eating too many of the above foods - but really savored the bits I did eat. I brought a bunch of cut up melon and fruits, veggies & hummus, as well as my green tea (iced), so I did manage to have some good choices. I gained a couple pounds waterweight, but I'm back in the saddle again. Was able to get a walk in, plus having to walk to the bathrooms, etc., at the campground, in addition to walking the dog - it was good.

Haven't camped with my sisters since we were kids - and now we were out there with our kids! The sister closest to me in age brought her two boys, who had never camped before - they and my two were all over the place, having a great time. We all brought our dogs, too, so it was quite chaotic.

Glad to be home, though - tenting can be chilly and damp - and grubby. It's good to sleep in my bed again, with instant access to hot water and a bathroom.;)

teacher1
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
judi- wow, you're brave. camping is not for me.

well, it's busy and stressful at work. our class size is growing this year. i'll be excited to see the kids thursday. i know it will okay once we get things going.

judipurple
08-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Teacher1 -- Naaah, not brave - a little crazy maybe...

How is that boxer baby of yours? My sisters brought their boxer pups this weekend - they are so soft and adorable! The pups are sisters, one white and the other is a brindle. My youngest sister (the one with the rolling condo) decided to keep the brindle for showing - her mama dog had nine (!!) pups this last litter - whew!

Good luck when the kids arrive - my chaos starts on the 2nd. :dizzy:

ArtCat
08-12-2008, 09:55 AM
We used to camp all the time when my kids were still home- it's lots of fun and there's always something going wrong to make it interesting. Since they left we sold the camper, so now we're back to tent camping again. We haven't gone since then, though- I guess we're still adjusting to the thought of going without kids and a dog.

Well, my daughter's going to officially get her puppy next week Tues.- I'll see if I can post a picture for you guys- he's really cute!

meowee
08-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Slept in this morning and when I woke up it was :sunny: but that lasted all of 10 minutes and now it looks like todays forecast for rain will likely come true.

Here's what I did yesterday . . . yep, I'm back up to six cats, but at the moment the new one, Sandy, seems to be the only one that is talking to me -- the others all have their noses out of joint and I hardly see them. I do know they still exist since the kitty litter required it's usual cleaning this morning. :yes: I'm sure this will soon blow over.

Other than playing with the new kitten and maybe a little sewing, nothing exciting in my plans today . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

judipurple
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Meowee - what a gorgeous cat! Sandy is just lovely - she is very photogenic! The others will come around sooner or later, and the pecking order re-established. I miss having a bunch of cats (we've had up to 3 & 3/4!) - I have two now, but would love at least a couple more. But, with the dog getting older (and costing more - she just got surgery on her ear flap for $450!):o, we'll have to wait a while.

teacher1
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Linda- sweet kitty

judi- tomorrow is bruiser's last obedience class. he'll have to retake it but we'll wait a few months until he's older to save money. he does go to doggy day care during the day. boxer puppies are so much fun.

liz- i can't wait to see the puppy pix.

meowee
08-13-2008, 08:04 AM

The sun is shining :yay: The scale is still completely stuck at the ticker number. :mad:

Have a great OP day, gang . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Meowee - what a gorgeous cat! Sandy is just lovely - she is very photogenic! The others will come around sooner or later, and the pecking order re-established. I miss having a bunch of cats (we've had up to 3 & 3/4!) - I have two now, but would love at least a couple more. But, with the dog getting older (and costing more - she just got surgery on her ear flap for $450!):o, we'll have to wait a while.

Judi- how do you have 3/4 of a cat?!

meowee- Sandy is beautiful! I want another cat so bad, but my DH is very resistant to it- we have 2 right now.

I'll try and put the puppy picture in-

meowee
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Awwww . . . :love: I keep adding cats to help me resist puppies. :lol: Having a good friend and neighbour with 7 dogs and 2 cats doesn't help.

judipurple
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Liz - what a cutie-pie! I love the breed - such a squishy-face!

In answer to your question, the 3/4 cat was one that arrived at my neighbor's house with a bad injury on his front leg. And had managed to survive in the wild several weeks before we got him! My neighbor and I paid to get the leg amputated, and since her daughter (who's allergic) was living with her, I got the little guy. He earned the name Tripod, and was a riot! He ran faster than any cat in the area, and loved people.

meowee
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
The daughter of a friend of mine adopted a kitten that was born with one half of a rear leg missing (actually the whole foot just never developed). didn't slow her down at all except she did look a little awkward when she tried to scratch the ear on that side. They named her . . . ILENE . . . :lol:

teacher1
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Ahhh, such a cute puppy Liz.

Bruiser did great at his last puppy class because he was so sleepy from doggy day care. He'll have to retake the class later but I was proud mama. His certificate is up on the refrig. Tomorrow the kiddos are back to school. So I'll be in bed early tonight.

ArtCat
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
So, teacher- what do you think of your kids this year? I've helped in various school things, and at the beginning of the year when you meet your kids you think to yourself, "oh, no, these kids are impossible/ difficult/dumb (pick any)- this is going to be my worst year ever!" And by the end of the year you're thinking that you love them all so much and that it was your best year ever! Funny how it goes. For me, the memory of last year's kids is so strong still, that it makes the new ones seem somewhat inferior.

My daughter's cat has some sort of bladder thing- at first they thought it was a UTI, but treatment didn't help and he was peeing blood again. They took him back and he was diagnosed with an inflamed bladder, so now they're treating him for that with anti-inflammatory drugs. They said it could have been caused by stress- have any of you had any experience with this? He picked up a bad habit of peeing in the sink- for some reason it felt better to him than the litter box. He seems to be recovering somewhat and is now using the litter box more, but is still peeing just tiny bits. He's generally a very laid-back cat, so listing stress as the cause seems odd.

Because of the stress diagnosis, she's looking into those pheromones that you plug into the electrical sockets to calm cats down, especially with the puppy coming next week. Have any of you used those? Did they help?

Sorry, this is sounding more like a pet blog than a diet one! I think I'm getting close to taking that pound back off, but it's too close to call, so I'll check again next week and see if it's clear enough to claim.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

meowee
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi . . . :grouphug:

Those Feliway Pheremone diffusers actually helped a lot when my Bengals were little and peeing everywhere but in the litter. Everybody was a little stressed because I had added three small kittens to a mix of 3 very settled and older cats. They are worth a try. :yes:

Sorry I was MIA yesterday -- it was a terrible day -- many things went wrong. Here's a sample --

My kitchen sink self-destructed. The trap had been leaking slowly for a few days (probably longer from the conditions I found under the sink). But yesterday, the faucet literally broke off in my hand, while I was moving it from one side to the other and by the time I got the taps turned off, the ceiling had been washed. :dizzy: I have yet to hear back from the plumber even though I've left two messages and may have to start looking for another plumber. Don't mind that I'm getting some extra exercise carrying water from bathroom to kitchen (split level house; have to go up or down half a flight to 'find' water) for most things, but I'm concerned about doing dishes since I'm nervous about running the dishwasher since I really don't know the condition of the rest of the waterworkings in the kitchen and I do not have laundry tubs.

Then, a major food meltdown occured -- so far no scale effect from my pig out yesterday but it will probably come -- it was really a 'final meal' kind of thing for LouLou -- her doctor finally (after almost a year of testing for other stuff) decided to do the blood tests for Celiac Disease (not one of the first things they seem to think of in a 68 year old woman, I guess) and, from the reading I've done, that sounds like a very likely answer for most of her ongoing problems, even the nasty flare-up of diverticulitis that she definitely has. She won't know for sure for another week when she sees the internal medicine specialist. But from the outcome of the very high gluten meal we had yesterday (pizza, pasta, bread, brownie buffet), sounds like a strong possibility to me -- she had to run to the washroom six times while we were in the restaurant; then she hit every washroom in every store we were in for the next hour; and as well as the ongoing diarrhea she also started throwing up the final two or three stops. So I gave here a bunch of reading material I printed off the www and took her home to bed . . . gee, this diagnosis would even explain the funny sores she gets on her arms, legs, and buttocks that have been going on for years with everybody trying to figure out what she's allergic to. Although I wouldn't wish Celiac Disease on anybody at least it would give her a direction. She is just about at her wit's end with these problems she's been having for so long.

At least the feline menagerie seems to be calming down and even though not exactly chummy, at least the hissing and growling has mostly stopped. Weather is still far too humid, but at least there is a bit more sun today.

Time for me to stop blathering -- see you all later. :carrot:

teacher1
08-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow Linda- hopefully, things calm down soon.

Liz- Yes, it is hard to start fresh each year. My older kiddos go next door and I still miss them. My class this year is mostly K so they're really little. I haven't met 2 them. They've been gone the last two days.

meowee
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Things are looking up . . . I have a functiuoning kitchen again . . . :yes:

teacher1
08-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Good to hear things are back in order Linda.

I've had a busy family weekend. Everyone have a great Sunday.

meowee
08-17-2008, 03:33 PM

judipurple
08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
:lucky: Hi, y'all! Hope ya had a good weekend! Back to reality tomorrow!

ArtCat
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm giving myself a pound off finally, so now I've recovered from my latest binge. I also was able to walk last night for a decent length, which I haven't been able to do in probably 4 months due to my plantar fasciitis. I'm paying today for it, but boy did it feel good last night. Maybe it's finally going away!

meowee
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM

We are working on the second day of almost perfect summer weather -- comfy temperatures, pleasant little breeze, lots of sunshine, and (best of all) very negligible humidity -- this is the way it's supposed to be. :yay:

I am still totally stuck at my ticker weight for this month -- well actually sometimes I'm up a pound, sometimes I'm down a pound; but always I seem to come back to the same 212. :dizzy:

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

gailr42
08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I am at work and it is time to quit. I almost finished catching up on all the posts. I have not given up - I have been away because my home computer crashed! I am like a crack addict with no computer!!!!

teacher1
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh Gail- no home computer is rough!

It was a busy day. I'm so wiped out. Off to watch some TV.

meowee
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM

Day looks good so far . . . but the humidity has climbed skyward again and the forecast is calling for rain this afternoon . . . :mad: . . . Guess three in a row was too much to hope for. Time to get back to doing some indoor stuff.

ArtCat
08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I found a nice recipe with Balsamic vinegar-
http://food.yahoo.com/recipes/allrecipes/86692/balsamic-green-bean-salad/print
I changed some stuff- didn't cook the beans as long as they said and didn't add as much oil as they said, either.

I also finally tried the blueberry salad- it's really good! I made it with mostly fresh spinach leaves, some red and green lettuce from my garden and without the onions because my stomach doesn't like them- they repeat too much. It was very good- my DH wasn't too crazy about it, but I think he put too much vinegar on it. He put it on like normal salad dressing, and he always uses a lot of that. I warned him, but they always know better...

meowee
08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh that does sound good . . . and I've got fresh beans in the fridge right now (a mix of yellow and green) so think I'll try it . . . definitely with a lot less oil. :yes:

gailr42
08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Linda, I forgot to mention what a pretty kitty you got.

Pretty soon I am going to be in serious trouble. My good habits keep going astray. I seem to let little disruptions in my routine really mess me up. I am not sure how to get a grip!

ArtCat
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
This may sound stupid, Gail, but for inspiration put on a swimsuit (or a bikini!) and either look in a full length mirror or better yet, have someone take a picture of you. That usually does it for me!

meowee
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Good Morning . . . and it is a glorious one around here. Horrendous storms passed through yesterday evening and overnight and now it is sunny and cool (may not even make it above the mid 60s). Probably a bit cool for most of you, but I :love: it.

gailr42
08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
ArtCat, I am sitting here laughing at the thought of me in a bikini! But I get what you are saying. I should get my DH to take a pic of me in something nice that I won't be able to wear if I blow it. Actually, I am feeling more focused now that I have my new computer set up and can hang out with all you chicks.

I made myself a grilled shrimp and goat cheese tostada for lunch. I still have a bit of the lite chevre left. The recipe also involved some avocado...yummo.

There is a recipe for filet mignon with bourbon blueberry barbeque sauce in the Eating Well email I got today. I had already gotten out a couple of filets for supper, so I might try it. Not sure if there is any bourbon around...

The grocery had chicken breast on sale, so I got a bunch and poached it this morning so I have a huge supply for sandwiches, salads, soup whatever appeals to me.

I also have a batch of yogurt working, and I grew some sprouts a couple of days ago, so I have some good stuff going.

gailr42
08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
The shrimp/goat cheese tostada is the second recipe. I made it using minimal oil. I used about 1 heaping tsp of the sauce. I have left over for something else. I used about 1/6 of a smallish avocado. The avocado was perfect and delicious - all I could do to stop myself from filling the pit depression with full fat mayo and consuming the whole thing. What am I saying? :eek:

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/noonnews/wgntv-083007lunchbreak,0,69328.story

This is the bourbon/blue berry recipe:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/steak_blueberry_bbq.html?utm_source=EWTWNL

ArtCat
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks gail- I am especially interested in that blueberry sauce- I liked what that one comment said about making extra and canning it for gifts. I'm always looking for small, homemade gifts for the holidays!

Meowee- how's it going now with the new kitty? Is everyone friends yet?

Teacher- I was talking with my brother in CO, and his kids started school last week, too, so maybe MI is in the minority. I know there was new legislation passed that made it mandatory to not start until after Labor Day because so much of MI's economy depends on tourism. The kids sure don't seem to mind!

meowee
08-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Another nice day -- but getting warmer again, so guess we are not done with summer yet. :)

All felines seem to be adjusting . . . Sandy has found one regular playmate in Blizzard . . . between the two of them, they broke a lamp yesterday. . . the older ones (and the Bengals, of course) mostly just ignore him.

gailr42
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I made the blueberry sauce and it was yummy!!! I thought that was good idea about canning and gifting it. I put my leftover in the freezer, because if I didn't, I would just eat it off a spoon.

So, last night I had filet with bluberry sauce, asparagus, two cute little red potatoes and a spinach salad with orange sections and pumpkin seeds. Every thing was perfect! I love it when that happens.

meowee
08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Busy, busy day planned today and it will include lunch with some friends -- going to be Chinese food :yikes: I will avoid the breaded stuff and will be having lots of vegetables, but the sodium with probably do me in anyway -- I can feel the cankles starting to swell already. :shrug: Hey -- all any of us can do is our best.

See you later, gang . . . :carrot:

teacher1
08-22-2008, 06:48 PM
hello all- i'm so glad it's Friday. The first full week of school complete. I'm staying home tonight to rest. Everyone have a great weekend.

meowee
08-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

Weather has turned really hot and sticky again. On a good note, so far I'm only up a pound from the Chinese Food debacle yesterday. Hope more doesn't show up later. :crossed:

Have a great start of the weekend, gang . . . :carrot:

gailr42
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I have done much better with my meals yesterday and today. I got out the Volumetrics book and read a little in it for inspiration.:lol:

meowee
08-24-2008, 08:04 AM

I had a very good OP kind of day yesterday, but still have that one extra pound with me . . . at least it didn't gather any more friends overnight. :lol:

Gorgeous morning with lots of sun and comfy temperatures although it is still a little too humid and is supposed to get quite warm by mid-afternoon.

Have a great Sunday, everybody . . . :carrot:

judipurple
08-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello, one and all! I am delighted to report that I have officially gone from "Obese" to just "Overweight" (never thought I would be so happy about that moniker!)!!!! My BMI says 29.95! :carrot::broc::cb: Whew!!!

teacher1
08-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Congrats Judi!!!!!

Everyone have a great Sunday.

gailr42
08-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I know how you feel. I was so thrilled to be merely overweight! Congratulations!!!!!

meowee
08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
That is terrific . . . :yay:

judipurple
08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
<<Deep Bow>> (Oh, look - I can touch my toes!!):encore:

Thank you all so much!!!

ArtCat
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but congratulations Judi!!! I keep checking that, too, but I can't seems to make the move into the lower bracket. Maybe I need an extra 2 inches? Actually, I'm thinking that getting the book back out like Gail did is a good idea.

Went to Ann Arbor yesterday to see my new grandpuppy- he's very cute! The vet had a whole list of stuff for my daughter to expose him to, to make sure that he ends up being a good dog. It seems a bit extreme, but she's really taking all this to heart. We helped out because we were new people, older, and my DH had a baseball hat on. I remember the days when you just got a puppy and trained it. Oh well.

I just came across this article while sorting through my morning email- it provides one more reason to keep packing in those ED foods! http://www.realage.com/ct/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/tip/6702

meowee
08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Looks like we both subscribe to RealAge, LIZ. :lol: found that same article in my in-box this morning. It's a good one.

Guess I'm going to be calling August a "maintenance month" :s: -- just so stuck at this same ticker number -- it feels like neither 'Onederland' nor 'Overweight' will ever show up on my scale. :halfempty: Actually, I'm not as depressed as that sounded -- just the rainy day getting to me, I guess. As long as we never give up, the good stuff will eventually happen.

See you later . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Maintenance is good, Meowee! It's a positive thing. If you're anything like me, it's been an elusive thing, too, so once again Volumetrics seems to be helping.

I've been trying to be very good about exercising lately- I think it's what will make a big difference for me. I've been trying to consistently add in weight bearing and strength training stuff. I mark it on the calendar every day after I do it, and so far I've only missed 2 days in the past 2 weeks. Doesn't sound like much, but it is for me. I either do the weight machine downstairs and easy yoga after or just easy yoga, and I throw in walking whenever possible. I'll check back on the scale later and see what happened.

meowee
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Keep fighting the good fight today, gang . . . :carrot:

teacher1
08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
hi all- school is super busy. i'm looking forward to the 3 day weekend.

meowee
08-28-2008, 09:36 AM

judipurple
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
:bubbles:

Hope you are all okay!!! Keep on, keepin' on!

REGEE
08-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Good Day to All!!

I purchased the Volumetrics wt.-control plan book yesterday @ BAM. I've only read the first couple of pages but I'm excited. Any tips for a newbie is greatly appreciated:D

Hope evey one has a good Labor Day weekend!

judipurple
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
:welcome3:

Hi REGEE, :celebrate:welcome to 3FC and the Volumetrics forum!:celebrate:

Volumetrics is a great way to get a handle on eating, and the recipes and advice in the book combine to make weight loss much less painful. Visiting this forum, and other forums at 3FC are valuable tools in this life change you're beginning. I, personally, combine Volumetrics with calorie control, and recently added in walking:running:. It has been an all-around positive experience for me. Feel free to ask any questions here - one of us is bound to be of some assistance to you. :book2:

Again, welcome to 3FC!

REGEE
08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, thanks!
I am at a point in life where I'm just NOT gonna DIET any more!! But I refuse to just give in and get FATTER!! I've struggled w/my wt. since after becoming a mom-18yrs ago:o Anyhoo, I do exercise, usu. daily. I've also decided I'm not gonna KILL myself @ the gym any more. So no more 2hr. sessions on the treadmill for me either. I now usu. exercise 45min., but some times more & some times less. Maybe I'll get this right!

teacher1
08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome Regee!!!

Everyone have a great night :)

ArtCat
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Welcome Regee! I think we've all been able to fit Volumetrics into our daily lives fairly easily- once you understand and get the right mind-set it's not hard. You do need to continue to make good food choices, and in the long run, for me, that's been the hard part. I've finally really realized that when I cheat or sneak something, I'm only hurting myself and I'm not really getting away with anything. It's a life-long journey, but at least with Volumetrics it's a possible one. You're not really deprived of anything- you just learn how to eat in a healthier, smarter way.

Thankfully, we don't have any big plans for Labor Day weekend, so it'll be easier to stay OP! Thank goodness for a stagnant social life!

meowee
08-29-2008, 03:34 PM

REGEE
08-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi,
Ok, I've read the book and am excited! I do have a few questions............
1-Do you do a lot of cooking daily?
2-If I can't eat ALL my meal at the mealtime, is it ok to eat the rest in-betw. meals?

The recipes look AWESOME!! I can't wait to try 'em!! I was really surprised at all the 'desert' recipes!! I'm gonna make recipes and freeze indiv. servings to microwave.

I'm not real clear on how some of the dishes end up w/an ED less than the indiv. ingredients,for ex. milk and cereal, but I kinda get it.

After reading the book I feel much better about my wt. mang. challenge. It doesn't seem like I'm soooo doomed. I can eat 'real food' and maintain/lose wt.

meowee
08-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave: . . . I'm finally feeling a bit better (at least tummy-wise) aches and pains . . . well, if it would ever stop raining, I'm sure things would improve in that area too. :lol:

:welcome: REGEE . . . so glad you found us, :hug: To answer your questions -- no need to do any more cooking that you care to. Since ED is simply a mathematical equation (calories divided by food weight) you can even eat frozen dinners; just try to keep your ED in the under 2 range. Think of volumetrics as a principle and you will find that you can take any of your old recipes and make them far more volumetrically-friendly, by adding lots of vegetables and liquids. Liquid (water content) is the reason that ED comes out quite low for many soups and stews. Water weighs about 10 pounds a gallon and has absolutely no calories. You can eat your food at any time of the day (or night) that suits you and you can eat it all at once or spread out as much as you like. As long as you stick with the basic low-ED guidelines, control your fat intake and minimize those high ED starches and meats, there are no rules to follow.

Hope everybody is having a decent weekend . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Happy Labor Day everyone!
Yesterday my DH and I packed an OP picnic and walked along a trail with lots of stairs to have a picnic on the beach, with a free sunset. So I ate OP, got exercise and enjoyed nature. I'm officially still fighting the good fight!

Hope everyone gets to do something enjoyable this weekend!

teacher1
09-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Have a great Labor Day!!!

Off to two family BBQs today.

meowee
09-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi there . . . :grouphug . . .

Here's a link to a new thread . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2342554#post2342554 . . . see you over there, gang . . . :yes: