Exercise! - Cool Runners -- July 2008

View Full Version : Cool Runners -- July 2008

Mrs Snark
07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Whoo hoo, it is already July! Let's have a great running month!

krjpy
07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Got in 4 miles this morning. I plan to run 5-7 days a week (on my elliptical - since I can't do impact running with my knee). I figure it was a good start to July:)

zinkemomx2
07-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I think I'm gonna start posting my C25K results in here again. Yesterday I did 1.99 miles in my 30 minutes of W2D2. That's my fastest average so far.

kittycat40
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Wow, July indeed!!
I started this month with a nice paced feel good almost 6 miler and won the race for the camp bus!!-- made it, again in the very nick of time!!

Slowmo, there is a NJ marathon every May. I can easily get into that race and it takes place about an hour from my home. There is a/THE NYC marathon but that is impossible to get into (I've been turned down 3 times) and also a little more inconvenient for me. Maybe this is my year??

have a great July 1, all you very cool running chicks! :)

vixjean
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey All! Happy JULY! =)
I wanted to bring some questions from the June thread over.

One thing I was confused about, I have never really run before this and always learned I should hold in my abs for better form, is that the same in running too? On my podcast, the guy is saying to be loose, so hmmm - see where I am confused, is he talking about your abs too?

I am really enjoying this, however, I have been slacking on my other cardio workouts, in fear that I will hurt myself during a run. Has anyone felt like that? I figure it is a good source of cardio for now and I will add back in the other things in the next few weeks.

MBN
07-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Vixjean, I'm not an expert by any means, but I think what you are trying to find is that balance between keeping an "engaged" core and being relaxed and loose during your run. Keeping your core stable (not "tight") helps to keep your posture upright rather than slumped over. Have you ever seen runners that are all hunched over? It's hard to breathe efficiently that way. You have to engage your core enough to have an erect, but relaxed posture, and you want the muscles of your arms, shoulders, legs, etc, to feel relaxed and "loose" rather than all tensed up and fighting each other. Does that make any sense at all? I think this all sounds way more complicated than it is ....

After spending 2 weeks in the cool mountains hiking (and not running), getting back to the hot and steamy South Florida weather is a shock! I ran a 10 miler last Sunday and it just about killed me. I had a good 45 min treadmill run this morning, but my girlfriends want to run 10 milers by the beach on both Friday AND Sunday this week. I'll see if I can keep up!!

Mrs Snark
07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Vix, I agree with what MBN said. I definitely don't focus on keeping my abs "tight", but I do think about good posture. And I do somewhat focus on keeping my arms and shoulders nice and loose because over long runs I have a tendency to begin to tighten up there. I usually will shake out my arms and roll my shoulders one every mile if I start to feel tense there.

I don't generally worry about hurting myself during a run, but I do cross train with biking and swimming. And now I'm going to add in more strength training, too. Just make sure to really listen to your body and if you are feeling pain, you need to adjust your training plan around that!

This morning I did 5.14 miles and I gotta say, I can't wait for the summer heat and humidity to be over. The humidity particularly is just killing me and even though I had a really good run it would have been so much more comfie with lower humidity!

KimProbable
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Alright, I'm going to start the month off right by posting on this thread right away since I was almost non-existent on the June thread.

I don't have any official July runs to talk about yet but things have been going really well for me lately. Between ice baths after each run and really focusing on relaxing my muscles, the nagging problems in my left calf seem to be clearing up. I'm going to be attending my clinic's group run for hill training tonight and then I'm due for a 16K long run this weekend. Hopefully it'll go better than last week's attempt where I stopped at 9K due to the heat!

slowmo runner
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Back at my computer after a day out of the office. My poor little (or big) legs are a bit tight today. This morning I did some nasty hill work and I do not know if my body will be forgiving me anytime soon.

kitty - that is funny about NYC marathon. I actually tried to get in this year and it was a no-go. I have heard that unless you somehow get a guaranteed spot it is really difficult. I think that I am going to do one called the Whistlestop that is on some nice trails up in northern Wisconsin.

On the abs question, hmmm, I guess I have never really though about what I do with my abs when I run. So I guess I go for the relaxed approach.

Apple Cheeks
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I skipped running altogether last week, and finally crawled back on the treadmill last night before bed.

I cruised along at an easy 4.0 mph pace for a little over 30 minutes. Two weeks ago I was up to 4.2 mph, but I needed to take it down a peg last night since I missed that whole week. :(

But, it did feel good to get myself back on track. :D

vixjean
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks MBN & Josephine, Good posture but not tight-tight. I will have to check my posture on the next run. My feet and hip have not bothered me at all during my runs last week, I am very happy about that. I am also doing good with keeping my arms down and body relaxed.
I am going to do my C25K run W3D1 tonight, little nervous as some of the runs will me 3 minutes - 3 minutes, what the **** did I get myself into? LOL! Going now to download the podcast for it, then off to the gym... my stomach needs to settle in a little more from dinner, hope that happens fast!

Mrs Snark
07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
I like the book "Chi Running" it teaches good form. I'm not really into the "spiritual-ish" aspects of the book but I do like the running form.

vixjean
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi cool runners!
I did my week 3 day one, (I did an extra round to make my 2 mile goal) so it took about 35 minutes. I really surprised myself running for 3 whole minutes! Wow! This program really IS working, and helping me lose weight too. There was a girl next to me on the treadmill that was doing sprints. It felt really cool when we were running at the same time, I felt so proud of myself (she had a much longer stride, but was going a lot faster). I did a 5 minute cool down walk. Then I did some deep stretching and gave some extra time with that.
Josephine - thanks for the book tip!

zinkemomx2
07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Did W2D3 yesterday. Wasn't to bad I guess. I'll be doing W3D1 either tomorrow on the treadmill or out on the road dodging traffic.

kittycat40
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I like the book "Chi Running" it teaches good form. I'm not really into the "spiritual-ish" aspects of the book but I do like the running form.

Sounds neat. I'm going to pay my library late fees and check it out! :D

Well, I'm off for a run in the blazing heat.. waited too long... but I'll pay attention to my posture.

Kitegirl24
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey everyone, just checking in w/ C25K.......I am doing W2D3 tomorrow and it's going great so far! The program is not too difficult to do and I find myself looking forward to it. Tomorrow the gym is closed because of Independence Day, so I will be completing my walking/running outside :woohoo:

slowmo runner
07-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I second the whole chi running thing. I do not follow it entirely, but it made me rethink how I move and it is simple enough to internalize and not have to obsess about.

Has anyone had the experience of reading about form or breathing or whatever and trying to put it into practice only to find that thinking about it is way to difficult and gets in the way of actual running? I remember once reading about some weird breathing technique or other and trying it out and ending up feeling like I was huffing like a freight train with a headache. Must have been interesting for people passing by. They were probably wondering if that poor little fat girl was going to pass out.

So this morning was a day off for me. I love to run but I also love the mornings when I have a planned day off and a guilt free day of sleeping in.

Mrs Snark
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
LOL, yeah, if I consciously think about breathing I get totally screwed up. It is much better for me to wear headphones and not hear or think about my breathing.

Congrats Kitegril, and enjoy your outdoor run!

vixjean
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Did W2D3 yesterday. Wasn't to bad I guess. I'll be doing W3D1 either tomorrow on the treadmill or out on the road dodging traffic.

Awesome, I am using the podcasts you recommended now and they are really cool. Some of the music is amazing, and some is a bit annoying. But I love the fast beat. :dizzy:

Mrs Snark
07-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I got up at 5 am and did 5.07 miles this morning, and though my husband seemed less than thrilled with a 5 am alarm on a holiday, it was nice to beat the heat and get back home before he had even gotten out of bed! :)

vixjean
07-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Josephine, awesome run girl. How is that you know EXACT amount you have ran.

I did a 5 k today with my boyfriend (he was on his bike)
it took us 52 minutes. A few minutes longer than my past 5k time, but it was a different route. There was a few times I wanted to jump on his pegs, LOL.

I did C25k, week 3 run 2, It ended far before my 5k was over so I just rewound and did another session.

Feet hurt a little now. =(

vixjean
07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Chit - left foot hurts a lot now, damn. I took my shoes and socks off and could hardly walk.
Foot is wrapped now and elevated, going to have to beg for a cold pack and ibuprofin.
CRAP! Really pissed about this, me pushing too hard again!
I know Josephine, you told me so!
This is for sure a small injury, not a soreness. =( I'll keep you updated.

Mrs Snark
07-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Josephine, awesome run girl. How is that you know EXACT amount you have ran.

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS unit -- also known as "the love of my life". :) This morning I ran exactly 4.3 miles and felt pretty excellent. Tomorrow I'm adding a new strength training program to my current run, bike, swim (and push ups) training plan. I have to admit, I'm feeling kinda positive about it, and usually I don't get excited about strength training (I get easily bored).

I'm so sorry to hear about your foot, I hope it heals fast, make sure to give it adequate time to recover, you maniac, you! :hug:

Tomato
07-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I did 5.0 miles on my treadmill this morning, shortly after I walked the dogs for 2 miles. Today is the first time I ran full 3 miles - so far, I ran 2.75 miles at most (the rest of the time is spent by a gradual warm up walking and increasing the speed; when I am done running I walk at 4.1 mph for a few minutes and then I start decreasing again.
I feel pretty good about this actually - I started with treadmill in February and did not start running until mid April (not sure when exactly). It took me 40 minutes to run the 3 miles.

Ok, my legs do feel a bit like lead. :-)

kittycat40
07-06-2008, 10:13 PM
This weekend I ran with my 30 lb 2 year old in a jog stroller. Well, I alternated jog/walked. My butt hurts from the hills. In a good way. ;)

slowmo runner
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I wear a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS unit -- also known as "the love of my life". :)

I have a Garmin 205 and I love it madly. I love being able to just launch out on a run and not have to plot it all out in advance.

Good running this weekend for the most part, except for the dreadful heat. I am a big fan of running in the cool weather, and run outside all winter long (my cut off temperature is -5), but if it gets above 70 I get cross and above 80 I just melt. All this means that in the summer to avoid the heat I get up really darn early and then sort of bump around in a sleep deprived daze all day.

Next weekend I am going to be camping and am debating about whether to bring my running stuff. I will not have good access to showering facilities so right now I am leaning no but it would be five days without running which never happens unless I am sick or injured.

Mrs Snark
07-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Slowmo, I struggle with the heat here in Florida as well, though my "cold weather" running is alot more enjoyable than yours is probably! I don't think I've ever run here in anything but shorts, lol.

Like you I get up really early to beat the heat -- this morning I was up before 5 a.m. so I could get a Clif bar into me and give it a bit of time before I went out. I ran 4.62 miles and the humidity was really bad this morning. I came back very red-in-the-face, even more than usual. Ick.

kittycat40
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm kind of spoiled over here in NJ. It's still pretty cool at 7a when I hit the road.

Anyone have tips on helping a mild case of shin splints? Right now I'm being careful to tread lightly-- speaking literally here, not figuratively, hee.

slowmo runner
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Super tired this morning. Did 3 miles of speed work type stuff. Blerg. Well, that is the advantage to early morning running...I was too tired to talk myself out of it:)

kitty - I have had shin splints a couple of times, usually when I increase my training a bit more than my body is willing to accept. I usually ease off a bit and it usually goes away. Did you bump up your mileage recently?

Totally off topic, my office is about a billion degrees right now. We have the wonkiest temperature control system ever and someone must have tired of her fingers freezing off and turned off the air entirely. Our thermostat works of a guessing game principal and may just be some weird placebo temperature control as opposed to a functional one. Since there are no numbers of it I guess we will never know.

Apple Cheeks
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
We are in the midst of another effing heat wave out here, so once again I am thankful to have a trreadmill so I can jog with some A/C and fans blasting! :D

I could be like Josephine and run in the wee early hours when it's a bit cooler, but unfortunately I am a night owl and don't get to sleep until about 2 a.m. No way I'm going to wake up 3 hours later, run, then go back to sleep!

Anyway, I chugged along on the treadmill last night at my usual sloooow pace, and somehow I wound up doing 35 minutes instead of 30. I could swear my thighs looked thinner from the extra five minutes! :lol:

Mrs Snark
07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I could be like Josephine and run in the wee early hours when it's a bit cooler, but unfortunately I am a night owl and don't get to sleep until about 2 a.m. No way I'm going to wake up 3 hours later, run, then go back to sleep!

No need, since you're a night owl you would enjoy running at about 1 am. It is lovely out then! Looks alot like 5 am! :)

Apple Cheeks
07-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd be too worried about the freaky-freaks out there.

The bike/jogging trails near my house aren't lit at night (and they are a little isolated) , and I'm not comfortable being on the streets alone at that hour.

It just seems too risky. :^:

Mrs Snark
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
oops weird double post!

Mrs Snark
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I ran 5.08 this morning, and MAN was the humidity bad. Any true trace of coolness that I used to get in the morning is pretty much gone and all I'm benefiting from is the absence of the sun. It is really hard for me when it gets this way. Ick.

zinkemomx2
07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I managed to get through W3D1 today. I slowed way down and it wasn't to bad. Normally I would do the recovery at 3.5 and the jogs at 5-5.3mph. I slowed down to 3.3 and 4.5 and I did it. :)

On a totally unrelated note I broke down today and bought a ball. I have decided that if my a$$ is gonna be perched in front of the computer or at the kitchen table I am going to sit on it instead. DH hates it already. :/

Mrs Snark
07-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I ran 6.02 mile this morning and when I came back and stepped on the scale it said I'd lost over 4 pounds of sweat in that time, it was just brutally humid.

Mrs Snark
07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I did 8.07 miles this morning. Felt really strong, if the weather were cooler and less humid I think I'd have no problems going over 10, but I'm just gonna wait for some perfect weather. It is just so hot and miserable and I have no desire to bonk on a really long run and ruin a whole day feeling crappy.

kittycat40
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
After taking it kind of easy this past week I got back into running mode and did two 6 milers this weekend. Felt great! And no sign of wear and tear other than feel good muscle fatigue.

Parveen
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Compared to some of you guys I am a newbie! I am doing the C25K and I am about week three, repeating some days and weeks.
I run around 4-4.5mph and walk 3mph on the treadmill, i am able to talk, not a complete sentence, but not huffing and puffing, is that a good spead? I would like to go outside and run, but I am strapped for time and jumping on the treadmill and running/walking 30 minutes is perfect to me! I am getting smaller, no great difference on the scale, need to throw that out I think!
Tyler you are a inspiration with how much you run, i can barely do 1.5miles in the 30 minutes!

Mrs Snark
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Just keep it up, I couldn't run half a block when I started and wasn't sure I would EVER be able to. You WILL get there. Your speed sounds perfect, the "talk/sing test" is also what I use to judge proper speed. You're doing great!

SunshineRunner
07-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Can I join??? I'm really focusing on my running (since losing the majority of the fatty fat!) and would love to race competitively (another FL girl here!!) Currently I run on the treadmill (when I started a year ago, I didn't last 5 minutes on the elliptical) and am doing a minimum of 5K 5 nights a week...but tonight I did 4.25 miles in 50:30. Would like to get under an 11 minute mile. Would also like to incorporate outdoor running - bascially cause I know it is more difficult (esp. in humid filled FL)....

So anyways, I run at night so I'll check in and post my times/distances and would love to hear any tips you might have for moving from the treadmill to outdoors...might go run the beach with a guy from the gym in the next couple of weeks....but I'm headed out of town this weekend, so it won't happen too soon!
~Amanda :)

Apple Cheeks
07-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Well, I ended up running on my treadmill last night for 40 minutes! :carrot:

I've only been doing 30 minutes, up from 25, for about 2 weeks. I didn't intend to go so long, but I was watching a subtitled movie, and was paying more attention to reading the lines (while listening to songs on my iPod) than keeping an eye on my time.

I normally will listen to 8 songs before I'll allow myself to look at the timer on the treadmill, and it usually comes out to a little over 30 minutes. Well, I must have missed counting a song or two while I was watching the movie, since I was stunned to see I'd been at it for 40 minutes when I thought my 8 songs were up!

And, funny enough, I was watching "Run, Lola, Run." :D

Even though it was a mistake, I'm happy that this puts me closer to my goal of getting back to running 45 minutes a day like I used to do years ago. :D

Mrs Snark
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Welcome, Amanda! My main advice to transitioning to running outside is to do it a bit at a time so your feet, joints, tendons etc. get used to the road at the same time as you acclimatize to the weather. No need to rush it. If you start now, you'll be ready for all the fall/winter 5k races when the weather is much nicer here in Florida.

Way to go AC, I loved the movie Run, Lola, Run! Great job!

I ran 4.20 this morning, and was wondering how my legs would feel after the Monday long run (and swimming & biking yesterday), but they felt great, no residual soreness, yay! I really think cross training is helping to work out any possible soreness.

SunshineRunner
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm exhausted this morning - I tossed and turned all night last night - I really hope that does not effect my run tonight. I'd like to get another 4.25 miles under my belt!

Apple - like you, I watch the tv at the gym, reading subtitles, while listening to music...I use a magazine to cover the timer and the mileage and just allow myself to check the mileage every so often.

Tyler - thanks for the ideas. I think you are right - just with any change, we need to work our ways into it. Can't leap the hurdle yet, but will try to run outside 2 days/week. Have an offer from one of the guys at the gym that checks me out (and actually speaks to me!) to run the beach a couple times a week....with his side comment of "when it gets to hot, you can just splash in the water" haha - fun - he actually is quite a nice guy. I may take him up on it in a couple of weeks. I really would have to switch my gym schedule around in order to take up running outside - or only run outside on the weekends. Currently I'm at the gym Mon-Fri 7:30-9:30pm or thereabouts....so I definitely want to move to outside running - but will have to do that on Sat/Sun - not willing to change my gym routine at this point.

Well...I gotta work - boo hoo!

I'll let you know how I fare tonight - hopefully get a good nap in before I go!
~Amanda ;)

singerlmz
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
It is soooo hard for me to run for long periods of time...I do many walk/jogs but I can never go more than half a mile without stopping to walk, although I am constantly doing cardio (elliptical, precore, volleyball, softball). I think it might be a mind block or something. How long did it take you guys to build up to running for a long period of time?

Tomato
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Jo, I am dreaming to be able to run your distances one day - maybe in my next life? ;)

Compared to some of you guys I am a newbie! I am doing the C25K and I am about week three, repeating some days and weeks.
I run around 4-4.5mph and walk 3mph on the treadmill, i am able to talk, not a complete sentence, but not huffing and puffing, is that a good spead? I would like to go outside and run, but I am strapped for time and jumping on the treadmill and running/walking 30 minutes is perfect to me! I am getting smaller, no great difference on the scale, need to throw that out I think!
Tyler you are a inspiration with how much you run, i can barely do 1.5miles in the 30 minutes!

Parveen,
No worries. It took me about three months to get myself from fast walking to jogging (on treadmill) at your speed, so I think that you are doing super-dooper! I run at 4.7 mph (although sometimes I throw in two very short intervals at 6 mph) and it takes me roughly 40 minutes to cover 3 miles (I don't really dwell on the time, at this stage I am grateful to be still alive when I am done. :D My total distance is usually around 4.5 miles (I do give myself a long warm-up and a long wind-down time).

Tomato
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Amanda,

I smell a budding romance! ;)

Apple Cheeks
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
How long did it take you guys to build up to running for a long period of time?

Well, this time around I started by doing just 20 minutes of slow jogging (not including warm-up or cool-down). I didn't worry about distance or speed, and still don't. After a few weeks of that I got to the point where 20 minutes felt "easy," so I increased it to 25, and so on.

As for how fast I go, I let my body dictate that. Right now because I run on a treadmill it's pretty easy for me to tell when I'm ready to bump things up a notch speed-wise.

I can see I'm ready for a little bit faster pace when I find myself always jogging up near the top of the treadmill, practically bumping up against the display. When that happens for a few days in a row, or a week or two, then I will increase my speed by .1 or .2 mph and see how it goes.

So, to give you some idea of where I started and where I am now: I began trudging along at 3.5 mph for 20 minutes back in March. As of now, I'm up to 4.2 mph for 40 minutes (with a 6.0 mph burst for one minute at the very end).

I know this is a very slow pace compared to most other people, but I'm not concerned with how fast other people can go. It's something to aspire to, but not something to beat myself up about. I may be slow, but it's a good pace for me, get's my heart rate up there, and is "do-able" without being so hard that I get discouraged or injure myself.

As for your mental block when you reach a 1/2 mile:

I have found that running/jogging is largely a mental game. Your mind will try everything to convice you to quit ASAP, and those negative thoughts will buzz around like gnats trying to get you to stop long before you physically would be tapped out. You will find, though, that if can ignore all that negative buzzing that you can probably do more than you thought you were capable of. :cool:

My advice for you would be to keep going, even if it's only 50 feet, past that 1/2 mile mark. Do that for a few days, then add another 50 feet or 100 feet, and so on. In time you will build up to logging miles and miles like Josephine. :D

Mrs Snark
07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
My standard speech on speed that I give every now and then:

Speed is really and truly not something to be concerned about as a new runner. And I'm not just saying that. I always see new runners kind of apologizing for their slow speed, or saying they aren't "really runners" because they only run "thus and so super slow speed". Speed doesn't matter. Really. In fact, going too fast, too soon (and too often) is the most common mistake of new runners and leads to injuries, misery, and giving up as running as, "too hard and too easy to get injured".

You should be able to talk while running, but singing a smooth tune would be just out of reach. When in doubt SLOW DOWN and you can't go wrong. :)

I only started running in June 2006 (and I didn't run most of 2007, I was too busy sitting on the sofa and gaining weight), so this stuff is all very fresh in my mind. I clearly remember the first time I ran 9 minutes ALL IN A ROW. I just freaked out with excitement and I even called my dad to brag about it (he's a marathon and ultra runner). I'm still proud of that moment, because it is what gave me the desire and belief that I could then run 10 whole minutes in a row, then 12, and so on and so forth.

If you consistently work the C25K program and then move on after that to SLOWLY building some lovely running base, you WILL eventually run higher mileage. And you will get faster, and you won't feel like you're dying while doing it either. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

SunshineRunner
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
It is soooo hard for me to run for long periods of time...I do many walk/jogs but I can never go more than half a mile without stopping to walk, although I am constantly doing cardio (elliptical, precore, volleyball, softball). I think it might be a mind block or something. How long did it take you guys to build up to running for a long period of time?

Oh Jeez! I started out over a year ago and was exhausted after 5 minutes on the elliptical. I got my iPod in November 2007 and that was a great help. I also read the captions on the tv at the gym (I'm a non-television person at home!) while listening to the music to help me focus on my posture, breathing, and pace. So...you can say it took me over a year to get to running for 50 minutes straight - and it probably took me the better part of 6 months before I could even run on the treadmill - and do a whole mile (shin splints!)...take your time, if you want it, you can achieve it!

SunshineRunner
07-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Amanda,

I smell a budding romance! ;)

haha! in my dreams....well, something may happen - of course i'm currently with baggage (hope to be without that 6 year old bag soon!) let me tell you - he's a very handsome and very nice Native American with beautiful cheek bones. yum. he totally checks me out while i'm there (as I do the same to him) and he either walks me out each night or waves goodnight before he leaves (swoon...)

Okay..enough with that....sappy sappy sappy Amanda :)

SunshineRunner
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree with Jo - speed is not important at this point. I've been slowly working my distance while setting minor time goals. Like...I always want to be under a 12 minute mile. I generally run (between 3-4 miles right now) at 5.5 miles per hour - sometimes I'll kick a lap up to 6.5 miles per hour to just wake myself up some more...but I'm not greatly worried about time...I want to run a 5k smoothly - I want to run a marathon one day. It will all take time! I'm willing to give it....

Also - I recall the first time I ran a full mile straight. It was earlier this year and the guy closing the gym for the night was nice enough to stay and let me finish...after hours....because he's seen me lose the weight and improve. Now 1 mile is nothing for me. :)

JuliaDH
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Well Girls I have shelfed the C25K temporarily. But I am continuing to work on walking fast with intermittence of jogging. Today the kids and I did the 20 minute challenge sponsored by the Running/Walking Room. It was great!

zinkemomx2
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Running is temporarily on hold due to a broken toe. :( I sorta miss it already.:fr::crazy:

SunshineRunner
07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Due to lack of sleep and not getting my nap in - did 3.1 miles ,but not very well...it was difficult and I had to take breaks (not the norm)...took 39:45 - eeek!! Oh well, at least I did it!

P.S. Cute boy walked me out tonight and mentioned how romantic the moon looked tonight...I'm sure I blushed - thank god I was sweaty and am always flushed after my workouts anyways!

Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight (thank you melatonin!!!)...zzzzzz

Parveen
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I like to run!!! I ran last night and noticed it takes less time for me to recover between the runs! and I actually enjoyed it! instead of watching the clock on the treadmill i watched the distance section and it was going fast and the time flew by! I was running 4.0mph and running for 2 minutes and then walking 2 minutes! it felt good! i didnt feel like i will die, but actually felt good after the workout!
I read an article on a website that your mind will tell you to stop long before your body needs to and running is all a mental game and trying to overcome your challage of not wanted to run.

SunshineRunner
07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Parveen - I agree that running is a mental game. My mind tells me to stop all the time when I know my body can go further. I like to challenge myself and just keep going as long as I'm not being ridiculous! I also watch the distance rather than the clock. It's just the way I've always done it.

Apple Cheeks
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Yesterday morning I missed my run (okay, okay....it's really a jog).

I don't know what the problem was, but I was just so tired! I ended up going to bed like 5 hours early and sleeping like a log, even though the lights were all on, and so was the TV!

Maybe running around doing errands in the heat all day wore me out or something. :shrug:

I'll make it up on Saturday, since I usually take the weekends off from running.

But, I jumped back on the treadmill today and did my 40 minutes while watching "The Road Warrior."

Dayumm....that Mel sure was a hottie back in the day. I really liked his fitted leather outfit. Especially the pants. ;)

On a related note: I proudly told my brother that I'm now up to running 40 minutes on the treadmill. He asked me at what pace, and I was reluctant to say since I know I'm slow, but I told him anyway (4.2 mph, for the record).

He just looked at me and said, "Is that running?" :(

Brothers! Harrumph! :mad:

:lol:

SunshineRunner
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Well - my run last night was okay - still a little overtired due to lack of sleep - but I'm starting to feel better. Did my 3.1 miles in 37:30. Slower than normal, but that is okay. I'm content with it.

I'll be running tonight and will post my time (and hopefully another story of the cute boy!) when I get home.

Unfortunately - I'll be leaving for Savannah, GA & Linville, NC Saturday morning at 5am...won't be back until late Wednesday. However, both my hotel and my Aunt's home have gyms....so I should be able to get in a couple of runs and also plan on doing a ton of walking and hiking while out of town. Just have to be cautious of my eating! :)

Apple - brothers can be very lame - i know from experience!

Tomato
07-18-2008, 11:40 AM
instead of watching the clock on the treadmill i watched the distance section and it was going fast and the time flew by! I was running 4.0mph and running for 2 minutes and then walking 2 minutes! it felt good! i didnt feel like i will die, but actually felt good after the workout!
I read an article on a website that your mind will tell you to stop long before your body needs to and running is all a mental game and trying to overcome your challage of not wanted to run.

Hi Parveen,

I do something similar - I cannot stand watching the clock, for some reason, so once I am done with my warm up, I flip over to the screen that shows calories. For some reason, I find watching the calories easier than the time. Of course, it is almost the same because by now I know almost exactly how many calories equal to what time, etc. - but like you said, it is a mental game.

Also, on days when I don't feel I am at my best, I tell myself "you can stop at 200 [or 300] calories" - but of course I never. Even if I tell myself "you can stop at 300 calories" I know deep down that I will continue until I do my usual time and distance, unless I am half-dead. :D But I still like to play that mental game with myself.
I like best the runs when my mind completely wanders off and I think about 3FC, the various posts, or (most frequently) the technical issue I am currently working on at work. Sometimes, I manage to zone out having my mind so occupied by other stuff that 50 calories go by without me noticing - that is always a "happy" moment.

SunshineRunner
07-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I had a great run tonight - must be repaired! Also updated my iPod so had some new music to listen to - always a plus! Did my 5k in 35:05...personal best time and my goal is to stay under 36 minutes through August.

Unfortunately...leaving out of town tomorrow morning at 5am - won't be back until Wednesday night - do have access to gym while out of town, so hope to make use of it a few nights.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll check in when I get back. :)

Matilda08
07-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Good morning runners! My name is Matilda and I am new to this thread. I started the jog/walk program this past monday and I will also be doing the 9wk program. I took a jog this morning at 5:30 and that got my day started. I am looking forward to chatting with you all have a great day!

KimProbable
07-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Matilda WTG on starting running! I'm very firmly of the opinion that getting started during the first few weeks is the toughest so congrats on making the first step. Before you know it you'll be hooked! :D

So I've totally been a bum and not posted on this thread all month. Bad Kim. :o

Here's where I'm at right now: I'm 4 weeks from my half-marathon (yikes!) and still chugging along. I've been battling calf pain and shin splints which has really been frustrating and has caused me to miss a number of training days but I've got new shoes now and I got a total workover yesterday. I went to my chiropractor in the morning and in the afternoon I had the most intense massage of my life. I was seriously pulling out the childbirth relaxation and breathing techniques just to cope with the intensity, and I've got the bruises today to show for it! It was totally worth it though since my left calf and hamstrings have finally let go and I have no pain in there at all today. I'm so excited that I'm walking like a normal person tonight! :D

Tomorrow morning my LSD is 18K and I'm joining my clinic group for the first time on a long run. I figure it'll be good practice for race day but I'm nervous doing a long run with others. My running buddy who's in the class with me will be there and we're both quite slow so at least I'll have company way in the back! I've got a gel and the shot blocks to give me a boost along the way so hopefully I'll finish in a decent time. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Tomato
07-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Kim,
Good luck on your run today!

midwife
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey Kim,

Are you icing those shins? My DD's track season was wrecked by shin splints. Ice, ice, ice, stretch, stretch, stretch, strengthen, strengthen, strengthen.

For icing, she freezes water in dixie cups and rubs them over her shins. As the ice melts, she peels the cup back to access more ice.

For strengthening exercises, my 5 yo DS stands on my DD's feet and my DD lifts her toes off the ground, 3 sets of 15 reps every other day.

Good luck with your half marathon. I am planning on one in October. It will be my second one, but I weigh about 25 lbs less this time round. :)

KimProbable
07-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey Kim,

Are you icing those shins? My DD's track season was wrecked by shin splints. Ice, ice, ice, stretch, stretch, stretch, strengthen, strengthen, strengthen.

For icing, she freezes water in dixie cups and rubs them over her shins. As the ice melts, she peels the cup back to access more ice.

For strengthening exercises, my 5 yo DS stands on my DD's feet and my DD lifts her toes off the ground, 3 sets of 15 reps every other day.

Good luck with your half marathon. I am planning on one in October. It will be my second one, but I weigh about 25 lbs less this time round. :)

I've actually been making good use of ice baths. My kids think it's quite funny when Mom sits in the tub and screams. :p With my legs being the way they are I should probably be taking one after most runs, but often my evening runs are already pushing the kids' bedtime later and it just doesn't happen.

Good for you on heading into your second half marathon! I'm on the other side of things and I'm 40 lbs heavier this time around and it's sometimes frustrating to deal with the large impact this has on my running.

So my 18K yesterday was fantastic. My running buddy and I accidentally showed up 30 minutes early but better early than late! There were four of us including our clinic instructor and we went on a really nice route that kept us in the shade and took us through some nice trails in the woods. We actually ended up on a race course through part of it and it was kind of amusing because it was the half marathon I'd been thinking of doing but didn't think I'd be ready in time for.

I had my typical drop in enthusiasm around the 12K mark which was made worse by all the uphill parts right in that section but I pushed through with my running buddy literally pulling me along at one point. I hit another low at 14K but I switched my Garmin to the countdown mode and kept watching the numbers drop. By the time we finally made it to the end I did a mini-sprint of 10 meters or so and finished off feeling not too bad.

I experimented with the Cliff's Shot Blocks and I found that I really like them a lot more than the Gu I tried last week. The texture of the Gu was rather gaggy to me but the blocks were nice and chewy. I could have used more water because they left my mouth really sticky so I'll see if I can find a bigger water bottle for next week.

After getting back from my run yesterday I did a quick turnaround and showered and headed out the door to the waterslides with the family, despite feeling like I'd like to have a 5-hour nap! My legs held up really well on all the stairs but I was so so very ready for bed last night! Today is a well deserved rest day!!

Oh, and on the topic of legs my shin splints and lower legs didn't hurt at all. Very very happy about that. I'm planning on heading in for another massage in a couple of weeks just to maintain the looseness in my hamstrings and calves and hopefully I'll be set for the race.

Matilda08
07-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Kim! I hope everyone is doing great today.

Tomato
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Kim,
You are incredible. Congrats on the job well done.
I was laughing when I read "I had my typical drop in enthusiasm around the 12K mark" thinking I would be already DEAD at that point. LOL
I did 4.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. Not hot, but VERY humid here.

cassangelidy
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Ladies,

I want to start running again but I have no idea where to start. I used to really love running, but now I'm so out of shape that I dread even trying to get on the treadmill. Eventually I would love to run outside, but I think starting on the treadmill will be the best for my joints. Any how, any advice would be really great. I have read a lot of articles for "beginner runners" but I want your ladies advice. :)

Thanks!

cassangelidy
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok, So I ran when I got home...walk/run to be more accurate. 2 minute intervals, I did 4 walking and 3 running intervals...so it wasn't very long, but heck I did it right? Baby steps!!! Now lets see if I can do it tomorrow.

:) Go Runners!

Apple Cheeks
07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Did my 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning while watching "Lord of the Rings" (the extended version). I love watching movies that take my mind off what I'm doing.

I think I had runner's high during my work-out, since I was feeling that floaty sensation for a few minutes. :D

Tomato
07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi cassangelidy,

I was going to say that when I started, I did not know anything (other than one has to start slowly and gradually build up, but that's just common sense) and anyway, I do like to do things my own way. And so I did - I plugged the treadmill and got on it and sweated it out. I experimented with speeds and incline and 6 months later, I run, albeit slowly, 3.2 miles in one stretch.

Then I saw your second post where you said you already started. That is great! Just stick to it, remain on the forum and you will soon improve. And don't worry about being out of shape - I started when I weighed 208 lbs and I am about the same height.

cassangelidy
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Tomato!

It just seems like such a daunting thing to start...but I decided to just do what I can do and go for it. I used to be a body builder (figure/fitness) and I used to run all the time...but I was younger and had a LOT more energy then. So I know what to do...I'm just nervous. hahaha I sound like such a scardy cat! Yesterday I walked at 3.8mph and ran at 5.5mph. (in my 2 min intervals of course)...so I thought that was a good start. Tonight I'm going to remember to bring home my iPod and that will help me last longer. :)

Keep up the great work ladies. You inspire those around you!!

Tomato
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
That was not a good start - that was an EXCELLENT start!
But, you may experience some tightness in your leg muscles if you do treadmill every day - I am running every other day and that's about as much as I can handle (although I stretch, stretch, stretch). But then again, I am a senior citizen (49).

vixjean
07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
HI RUNNERS, Sorry I haven't posted much, but as you all know I injured my foot over the July 4th weekend trying to COMBINE a c25k with an actual 5k. It wasn't pretty.
Anyway, I went to the gym last night and jumped back in at week 3, which worked very well actually. I am now doing the c25k and just finishing by WALKING the rest of the 2 miles, (instead of repeating intervals like I was before).
So I am going a little lighter on myself this round - Josephine - if you could have witnessed the internal argument that I had with myself, you would be so proud. I seriously had to talk myself into walking out the 2 miles after - rather than going another running session, it was like this...
I really want to tear it up and run another round or two.
No, but remember what happened last time, you got hurt.
But that will slow my time like WAY down.
So what, don't be a hero, just be safe!!!
And I was =)~ LOL!

zinkemomx2
07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I am pleased to report that my toe is NOT broken. I was able to run on Monday. My w3d2 totally sucked since I hadn't run in a week. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I might still have to do a w3d4 though.

Tomato
07-23-2008, 07:21 AM
vixjean, I am glad that the argument won the side of your brain that wanted to go for 'safe'. Wishing you a speedy recovery - and the same to zinkemom.

Zinkemom, please excuse my ignorance but what is w3d2 or w3d4?

I had to cheat a bit this morning myself. My body is telling me it's tired, I did my Pilates class yesterday and wanted to some weights afterwards but it just was not meant to happen. This morning, I ran only 2.7 miles instead of 3.2 so my total on the treadmill this a.m. was 4 miles, but I feel good (instead of falling apart). ;-)

KimProbable
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Tomato - I think that it's wise to listen to our bodies and cut exercise short if we're really not up to it.

Zinkemom - That's so fantastic to hear your toe isn't broken!

cassangelidy - :bravo:On the fantastic start! It is indeed all about baby steps and before long you'll see some great results.

I took Monday off as a rest day and it was much needed! I felt like I was maybe getting sick so I ate a bunch of vitamin C and went to bed early and I think I'm in the clear now.

Last night I did a really quick 6K with my clinic group (39 minutes!) and I had to really push by the end to keep up with the group. My legs are a little ouchy this morning but I think once I get walking they'll loosen up nicely. Tonight is hill training and I'm up for 7 reps of the hill tonight. I can do it! :D

cassangelidy
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Well I ran/walked again last night. This time I did 4 running intervals and 5 walking ones - 2 mins each. THis time I ran at 6.0 and walked at 3.5. I liked that better because I worked harder but had time to recover better. I'm going to try to do the same for the rest of the week and then up it next week, maybe run for 3 mins and walk for 2. We'll see how well I do.

I got on the scale today and after only 2 days of running I'm down 3 pounds. Water weights I'm sure, but heck, its encouraging!!

Thanks for the cheers guys, I really need to support. :)

Kim, way to go on the 6K!! Nice action!

Mrs Snark
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Well I'm back from vacation, had a blast. I got in 14.14 miles of both serious hiking and trail running while out in Monterey/Big Sur. What a beautiful place to be outside running, I'm so jealous of people who live there all the time!

Miaka
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
On Week 2, Day 1, yeah!

betsysunqueen
07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Hello, everybody!

I've avoided this group for a while because I didn't feel like I was running "enough." I told myself once I got to a schedule and kept to it for a month I would be a "real runner" again.

I've been running for the past seven years and took some time off due to a knee injury. Now I'm back--consistently running my 4-6 miles four times a week--and I'm done lurking!

Mrs Snark
07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Wow Betsy, you sure had tough qualifications for yourself to delurk! Welcome!

cassangelidy
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree with Josephine!! I don't even consistantly run a whole mile yet and I'm here...hahaha...now I feel guilty!! Eek!!

I didn't run last night, decided to take a day off after the first two days. Surprisingly I am not sore at all and I feel great! I'll be running tonight for sure!

SunshineRunner
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Good Morning Everyone! I'm back from my vacation and had a great time. Did some hiking in the mountains which thankfully made up for all the rich foods that I ate - even managed to lose a whole pound! Only one more to go to hit my original goal - although I'm fairly certain I'll adjust it down to about 145lbs after I hit goal....

After driving 12 hours to get home yesterday - yes - I know, crazy....I did manage to get to the gym and run my 5k....however, for the first time ever - I felt like I was going to vomit...but I did hold myself together, slowed down my pace and made it through..felt much better at about the 2 mile marker...should be fine to go tonight though...can't wait to get back at it - would like to change my 5k into 5miles soon...so I'll be working on distance for the next few weeks!

Mrs Snark
07-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Amanda! I hadn't noticed how close you were to goal! OMG!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Just ONE pound, that's so exciting!

Way to go on pushing through that tough run, that's some serious dedication!

I just did a 5.04 mile run on my mom's treadmill because I missed my early-morning window for running outside without dying of heatstroke. I had a good run, though, I added lots of random incline because hiking in Big Sur taught me that I need to do more elevation work to prepare for my next trip!

betsysunqueen
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I agree with Josephine!! I don't even consistantly run a whole mile yet and I'm here...hahaha...now I feel guilty!! Eek!!

When I started running (about eight years or so ago), I literally would run to the first "landmark" I saw (stop sign, curb, whatever) and then walk to recover. It took me a while to get up to the point where I could run even a mile.

Matilda08
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey guys I am also on week two but have only ran once this week tom has me really down I have the worst cramps and I feel so drained. Today I will get it in though I am going to push myself to the gym during lunch. Hope everyone is doing well!

KimProbable
07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Matilda - I get that drop in energy during TOM too. So annoying. I find if I push myself to exercise even if it's a small run I feel better though, so hopefully you'll be able to make it to the gym tonight!

So Wednesday night's hill training got bumped due to life getting in the way (five hours of walking around fair grounds did NOT leave my legs feeling like running!) but I did go last night. The schedule had us down for doing 10 reps but my running buddy and I have missed a few weeks so we were only supposed to do 7. We both felt really good though and pushed through and did the entire 10! I was pooped by the end but it was nice to see on my Garmin that we'd covered 9.9K and I'd burned 919 calories!

In other Kim news, I weighed myself today and I'm finally in Onederland! 190 here I come!!

Tomato
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome to Onderland, Kim!

cassangelidy
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Way to go Kim!!! Great Job!!!!

I did my 2 min intervals again last night. My legs felt so so heavy!! Then again I only got 5 hours of sleep the night before...only 5 again last night, so I think I'll run tomorrow morning instead of tonight. :)

SunshineRunner
07-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Did my 3.1 miles tonight and it was much better than previously this week. Did it in 35:40 (i think...something like that anywho!)...

now i have to go tomorrow cause cute guy told me he was going to be there around 11-12 - i then responded that i'd be at work until noon so I wouldn't see him....well lo and behold - he responds with - well maybe i won't come until 1 or 2....gosh....now i have to go to the gym...why won't he just ask me out? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Mrs Snark
07-26-2008, 12:32 PM
You're a goddess, Kim!!!! Way to kill the hill! I can't wait to hear all about the big race, you're going to have a blast.

Today I did 5 miles, most of them on the beach -- there was a heat index of 110 degrees and my hip joints really complained about the sand and even though it was beautiful, I was glad to get finished and get inside to the AC. I'm constantly amazed at how much I can SWEAT; I was almost 5 pounds lighter after my run than before it, and that's crazy.

midwife
07-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I know you know this, Josephine, but I feel compelled to say it anyway! Make sure you are *drinking* and replacing that fluid!

I don't know how people run in humidity. We have some moisture from Dolly trickling in and my lungs felt like they were growing moss this morning. Clouds hung low on the mountains, and it was muggy.

I timed a mile this am. The last time I timed a mile I ran it in 12:30. This am I ran it in 9:08.

I haven't stopped smiling yet. :) Running rocks!!

Mrs Snark
07-27-2008, 07:13 AM
I timed a mile this am. The last time I timed a mile I ran it in 12:30. This am I ran it in 9:08.

Whoo hoo! Holy cow, that is just AWESOME! :carrot: Congratulations, that's just fabulous!

It never hurts to remind people about water. I drink a ton, I even wear a water belt in the summer (and for long runs), but the humidity was in the high 90s yesterday when I ran. It was like being in soup. Gross. I can't wait for fall.

Tomato
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Jo, hats off to you. I have to join the crowd that says ''I don't know how can run in the humidity". I would not even go out. I am a wimp.
Thanfully, the weather is quite nice here today, a bit of a breeze and not hot (though I have no idea what the forecast says) so I just put in my 4.5 miles on the treadmill, 3.25 out of that was running).

Kim, what can I say - I am green not with envy but with admiration. :-)

KimProbable
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Jo: I'm with Tomato in being in awe of your ability to run in the humidity. Things are a little humid around here lately and it's killing me, and humid for Canadian prairies is not very humid at all!

Midwife: WTG on the huge chunk of time you slashed from your run! It's so very satisfying to see the numbers change like that.

So today I did my LSD of 18K and it was a tough and tiring run for me. I completely lacked any of that "I can't wait to get out and conquer this run!" at all and had serious doubts that I'd finish it. If it weren't for it being a group run I might have just cashed in early. My legs were achy for the first 6ish K then I was stupid tired by about 12K. And I'm approximating distances because I forgot my Garmin at home which was another kick in the pants. I've really come to rely on that little device to keep me going.

As much as the run was a struggle I'm glad that I pushed through it. They can't all be easy happy runs and it's good to know I can keep on going when I need to!

SunshineRunner
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I didn't run today - needed a day off and had a bad run yesterday...shin splint flare up unexpectedly....

however....I met my goal (actually surpassed it!!!) yesterday and today I'm still there. It doesn't feel as amazing as I thought it would....but it does feel great. Can't wait to kick some butt this week running!
~A

SunshineRunner
07-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Had a great run tonight and did 3.5 miles in 40:45...it was a nice smooth run and I'm still working on upping my distance. Usually I do 3.25 miles...so a little bit at a time....

Mrs Snark
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I ran a strong 5.33 yesterday morning and thank goodness I got that run in early because by evening I was down with the flu and a massive migraine. Weird how I could have such a good-feeling run in the morning then be so sick at night, It's a mystery!

Tomato
07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Jo, wishing you a speedy recovery - hopefully you will be chipper soon.

I did my usual this morning (4.6 miles). It was nicely cool although I noticed that now at 5:25 am, it is still very dark. In a couple of weeks, 5:30 am will feel like a midnight.

Miaka
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Week 3 Day 1, felt great. Can't wait until the next one. Although I am not going to accelerate, because I know how easily you can get injured by doing too much.

SunshineRunner
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I had another great run tonight - did my 5k in 35:15 ...so I guess I'm just gonna have to get it under 35 one day soon....

in other news, I did write and post photos in the goal section...you can see the link in my signature.

Hope all is well!
~A

KimProbable
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Gatoramanda - 5K in 35:15 rocks! :cp: I've also got to say that looking at your post on reaching your goal is very inspiring. You don't even look like the same person anymore!

Miaka - WTG on doing W3D1! And kudos to you for knowing to keep things gradual. (As someone who suffered an injury due to going too fast too soon I envy your patience. ;) )

Tomato - OK, here I was all proud that I'm getting my morning runs in so early at 8:30 am and you're running at 5:30? Holy cow! :D

Tonight I went to my clinic. The lecture part was on goal setting for the future as we're getting really close to race day. This is a big deal to me since six years ago after running my half I just quit running and then packed on 20lbs in 6 months. I don't want to do that again and I need to focus on maintenance and decide what I want to do with running long term. There's a 10-miler in mid-October that I'm thinking about and even if plans to get pregnant in Sept or Oct do happen I should still be able to run it.

The clinic run was a quickie (6K in 40 minutes) and I was really happy that the achy leg let go after 4K. Someday I'll find the perfect balance of "run enough to make it stop hurting but don't run so long it hurts the next day". :D

Tomorrow night our clinic instructor has set up a 10K speed trial for us. The goal is to run it at the same intensity we'll run on race day so that we can get a feel for the bigger push and get an idea of what our race time might look like. I'd been hesitant to push too much for speed since that's what really wrecks my legs and we're doing the full 21 on Sunday, but my instructor advised to focus more on tomorrow being the important run. So now, contrary to what seems logical, I'm going to look at the 10K as my intense run and the 21K as my easy run. It does make sense with how he described the shorter intense runs as being more of a workout to break down and build up the muscles and then the long slow runs as cardiovascular training. I feel silly just learning these things 13 weeks into training for my second half-marathon. :o

Matilda08
07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I got my run in yesterday as well. I completed week three day two yesterday and it felt better. I am really seeing the difference with my jog routine. Hope everyone is well and keep up the good work!!!!!

Apple Cheeks
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I just finished my "evening" run. I did an extra 5 minutes for a total of 45, and felt pretty good today.

For the final minute I usually bump up the speed to 5.5 mph for 30 seconds, then 6.0 mph for 30 seconds. By the end, I usually can't wait to hit the 3.0 button for my cool down walk.

But today I felt like I could have kept going for a bit longer at 6.0 mph. So, that felt pretty good.

Last week, though, I felt like my legs were made of lead. Ugh. I kept saying it was a miracle that I got through all my runs that week!
(But I did, just to be stubborn ;))

KimProbable
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Here's a copy and paste of my post on the Blue TBL thread about my time trial last night:

So last night I did a time trial through my running clinic. Our instructor mapped out a 10K route and we were to run it at race pace in order to get an accurate idea of what our half-marathon race time will likely be. I was a little antsy at first as I'm not a fast runner and speed tends to wreck my legs, but I listened to my body and pushed as much as I thought I could.

My first thrill was that I hit the 5K mark at 32 minutes, one full minute faster than I've ever done it. I'm really curious as to what my time would have been if that had been my entire distance and I'd pushed myself more. I'm setting breaking 30 as a personal goal!

The rest of the time trial went well but I did "oops" on the route (I turned around at the loop when I was supposed to keep going!) so I accidentally cut my run short. I ran back to the start then turned around again (so mentally tough to do!!) to add in more distance. When everyone who was running and our instructor on his bike had met up we turned back, so I only ended up completing 8K but it was close enough to get an accurate idea on my time, which was 52 minutes.

I totally chickened out of the ice bath last night since it was cold and I'd gotten chilled, but my legs have been kind to me anyhow. I'm slightly gimpy today but not in pain so it's way better than I'd expected.

Tomato
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Amanda - GRRREAT time on the 5K! Holy smokes!

Kim - it's actually quite easy for me to do it at 5:30 am - as opposed to, say, at 6 pm after I have come from work and it's hot hot hot and humid as well. I am turning the A/C on only when there is no other choice (I have two dogs at home and my house is a ranch bungalow with no trees shading it so the sun is hitting it all day). Also, I am a morning person by nature and once I am up, I am up - so there is no point trying to go back to sleep (no matter what time) since it would not work anyway. I am sure I would not be as diligent in the evenings when i am already pretty tired from my job etc.

We had torrential downpour yesterday but I heard on the radio this a.m. that humidity is dropping down so turned off the A/C - and then I sort of regretted. But once I am on treadmill, I don't like to get off so I finished but man, I looked like I ran under water. :fr:

Mrs Snark
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Man, I'm going crazy with the flu and not running. I've been taking it easy with about 1 hour on the exercycle the last two days (against everyone's advice, of course), but I may have to actually skip that today as I thought I'd feel better by now, but instead I feel worse. :( Booo hiss. I hate skipping exercise, I'm always terrified I'll lose my forward motion or something. But I'm loving reading about everyone else's runs, w00t! Ya'll are making me so anxious to get back on the road!

Tomato -- that's so funny about not getting off the treadmill once you get on -- I am so obsessive compulsive like that whenever I get on either a treadmill or an exercycle. Everything around me better be perfect because even if I only have 4 seconds on the clock I just mentally can NOT stop and get off to go fix things. I've done hours of cycling with the fan pointed in the completely wrong direction for just that reason. Glad to know I'm not the only person who is nutty like that. :)

AppleCheeks -- Isn't it nice to feel improvement so clearly! Way to go, that's just awesome!

Kim -- as always, I love to hear about your training runs! Your dedication to your training program for your race is so inspiring! I've found myself looking at race schedules for the fall! Great job on the time trial and I know you'll break a 30 5k in no time!

kittycat40
07-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Man, I'm going crazy with the flu and not running. I've been taking it easy with about 1 hour on the exercycle the last two days (against everyone's advice, of course), but I may have to actually skip that today as I thought I'd feel better by now, but instead I feel worse. :( Booo hiss. I hate skipping exercise, I'm always terrified I'll lose my forward motion or something. But I'm loving reading about everyone else's runs, w00t! Ya'll are making me so anxious to get back on the road!

!

Feel better soon Josephine!!! :carrot:

KimProbable
07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Jo - I'm inspiring the super star? Cool. :D The way I look at it, I've spent the last six years pining for the shape I was in when I ran my last half. It takes less energy to just do the fricking training than it did hating my body!

I realized after I posted that I forgot to share my funny from my run last night. I went to a drumming circle a couple of weeks ago and one of the things that the woman does is getting people to create mantras with the drumming. Her theory is that drumming the mantra is more powerful than just saying it.

Anyhow, with drumming I created the mantra "I am strong and I run fast and I am strong and I run fast..." and on and on. Last night was the first time I've ever really used it during a run and it was awesome having that running through my head. When I was at about 7K and starting to get tired I noticed that the mental chatter of the mantra had shifted to "I am strong and I can walk" :lol: I had to do a delete and edit to get myself back on track!

vixjean
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi All,
I am still at week 3, I had done 2 in the beginning of July, but now have done 3 more in the last week. I think I am in for a 5 k this weekend, and seriously considering new gym shoes, possibly on my credit card cuz money is tight. I really wanted to get to the 20 lb mark before I bought the shoes, but I think it is just too risky for me to run in these old shoes anymore, that could have been why I injured my foot. I am going to have to do my 5k this weekend on the treadmill, I think the out doors could be another factor in the injury, (I was on the street, not a trail or track). Those factors also with pushing too hard. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Tomato
08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
vixjean,
Definitely go for the new shoes. When I started with my treadmill it did not take me long to develop shin splint in one leg (in spite of being chubby, I have always walked quite briskly). It was a PITA, I had to skip the exercise on a few days etc. Then I got new shoes (on the advice of 3FC chicks). You have no idea what a difference it made. Soon after that, I was able to progress from walking to jogging and I have never had the shin splint since (knock on wood).

Jo,
Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather. Take a good care of yourself, OK? Maybe I could fedex you one of my greyhounds (she would be there by 8:30 tomorrow morning LOL) - she would love to curl up with you in bed and keep you company.
By the way, I had a good chuckle over your story with the fan facing the opposite direction - I so totally understand! :-)

I hope everybody will be participating in Ezmoney's Midsummer Night's 5K (except for the sicklies of course) - I am planning to to do 5K tomorrow and then another 5K on Monday.
Have a nice weekend all!