General chatter - Bikini wax

View Full Version : Bikini wax

01determined
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone - Was just wondering whether anyone has had a bikini wax before. I've booked one for this saturday and its my first time. Whats the shortest the hair can be? AND what should i expect?

snapless
07-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I tried to do a home kit once and about screamed.

I'll stick with razors for now. :p

Darby1
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Hair needs to be at least 1/4". I am an esthetician and can say everyone reacts differently. It is not an especially comfortable experience, but I personally don't think it's horrible. Explain to your esthetician what you want (how far up you want her to go, etc.). Ask her about after care. Some people are prone to ingrown hairs, so you want to see what she recommends.

Some people take some tylenol or motrin about an hour before their wax and that helps take the edge off.

Good luck!

ladybugnessa
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
also make sure to exfoliate and moisturize well the few days before the big wax.

tamaralynn
07-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I've also heard that you can buy otc numbing creams... I'm going for a wax before I fly to Hawaii - never had it before LOL

:yikes:

PhotoChick
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Honestly I don't think they're that bad. I get a Brazilian about every 6 weeks. And I am the biggest pain wimp you'd ever meet. :)

You can take Advil or Tylenol about an hour before and that will help with the discomfort. Do exfoliate the day before but NOT the day off the wax. And be gentle with washing the day after, but after that do exfoliate with a rough washcloth to keep the hairs from becoming ingrown as they grow back.

Some people really come through it without a twinge and feel fine the next day, but some people need a recovery period. And actually some people do find the experience somewhat of a turnon in some ways.

I would say don't plan to have sex right after, however! :)

01determined
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
ooh thank you. I was also wondering, after this one could i get another done in a few weeks tims?

Darby1
07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
It depends on how fast your hair grows, but it usually takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks to have enough growth.

GradPhase
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm getting this done in August. Very nervous! I tried doing it at home myself and it was the worst idea I've had yet! Hopefully the professionals are a bit better at it than I was, haha.

PhotoChick
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh goodness having it done by a pro is SOOOOO different from doing it at home. I can't imagine doing my own wax. :) Of course having someone else fiddling down around there is always interesting ... but you do get used to it. I go to the same person every time, so it's not like she's much of a stranger anymore. *grin*

I have had mine done as close together as 3.5 weeks, but my hair apparently grows fast! :) On average I get mine 5-6 weeks apart.

The nice thing is that after having them done repeatedly, they get easier because the hair growth is a little sparser.

01determined
07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
hmm. i hope im long enough! ive not shaved or anything for 3 and a bit weeks and you can notice. im so scared shes going to send me away! why did i put myself up for this.

GatorgalstuckinGA
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
i use to wax a lot when i had extra money and loved it. I use to have to go only about every 5-6 weeks. The first few times....it will be uncomfortable. But you get uses to it and the hair follicles get "looser" and it hurts less the more you do it. Also, if you wax frequently, sometimes you will damage the hair follicle and the hair won't grow back. I use to have a lot more hair there...but since i waxed for over 3 years, it has gotten thinner due to to "damaged' follicle. I usully apply benedryl ointment the night after waxing to help calm down the redness. Then afterwards i highly recommend a product called TendSkin. It helps reduce ingrown hairs. Not many people have a problem with that, but due to my very thick crazy hair that grows different direction i have a bad time with ingrow hair. Also, one thing to watch out for...a good waxer. Your waxer shouldn't take large chunck of hair at a time. She really should do it in smaller patches. I unfortunately have had some bad wax jobs...but use to lover the one i went to for 2 years. Some waxers actually have a spray that they give you to apply before waxing that has a bit of numbing agent. But even if not...its really not that bad. Definately uncomfotable...but it doesn't last long and it does get better (:

PhotoChick
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Then afterwards i highly recommend a product called TendSkin. It helps reduce ingrown hairs.
I swear by TendSkin. It's a little spendy, but a bottle lasts forever. I use it because I get ingrowns, too.

GradPhase
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Ohhh, that's a really great recommendation. I'll definitely look it up.

So, hypothetically, theoretically, (;)) if I was to get a brazillian on the 20th, and see my guy on the 22nd, everything should be calmed down by then, right?

PhotoChick
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Hypothetically, theoretically ... ;)

Like I said, it's different for everyone, but for me, I can (and have) had sex the very next day. It's sometimes a little tender, but not painful. My guy knows to be careful if I've been freshly waxed. :)

01determined
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
oh also anotehr question. Im mainly nervous about the wax as my bikini line has red bumps on it but i dont hink they're ingrown hairs. I havent touched my bikini line for weeks and they still are there, anyone know how to smooth it down quickly. I have been exfoliating and moisturising all the time but nothing seems to work.

ladybugnessa
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Ohhh, that's a really great recommendation. I'll definitely look it up.

So, hypothetically, theoretically, (;)) if I was to get a brazillian on the 20th, and see my guy on the 22nd, everything should be calmed down by then, right?

I'm fine the next day after a full brazillian.

GradPhase
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info ladies!!

Slim81
07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I have waxed a few times. It is not that bad, it is over fairly quick. However you have to watch out for ingrown hairs after. I did laser hair removal a year ago because I just got so tired of waxing and shaving.

01determined
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi again, just thought i would update you on my bikni journey! I went in on saturday morning EXTREMELY nervous and was a bit shakey. However she reasured me and chatted to me. You do have to get in some awkward positions and i cant lie it wasnt the most comfortable experience. But i did come out very happy with the results and it didnt hurt much at all. Definately recommend to anyone!

GradPhase
07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Ohhh that brings up a good question.

What exactly are the positions like? :o

PhotoChick
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
What exactly are the positions like?

Hahahah. Well it depends on the waxer ... and what you're getting. For a full Brazillian ...

The first position that you're likely to be in is on your back, scooched all the way down to the edge of the table, with your legs hanging off the edge. My waxer has me put my feet on her thighs and then spread my knees as far apart as I can (and sometimes hold them there with my hands). Every once in a while she'll actually put one foot up on the edge of the table and have my hold that knee as close to flat to one side as I can, then do the same for the other side.

Then for the ... ahem ... backside, I'll slide all the way down to the end of the table until my behind is nearly hanging off, and pull my knees to my chest and hold them there. Some waxers prefer at that point for you to roll over on your tummy and get on your knees ... but mine has never had me do that (thank heavens! :) ).

For just a regular bikini, mostly it's just the first part. Also for a regular bikini, you can often wear this little paper thong thing that covers your crotch and kind of provides a guideline of where to wax and where to leave things ... um ... fuzzy. :)

Obviously for a full Brazillian, you go commando for the whole thing. ;)

Darby1
07-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, if you're very shy, a Brazilian is probably not for you!

classc1
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I am soooo happy to have found this thread. I have a question...as an overweight woman...does anyoine feel odd about having a full Brazilian? I mean...I am 210 and my stomach hangs over my bikini line a bit. I want to get a wax...it will be my first...but I don't want to look ridiculous. Any thoughts? Also, should I do a trim before I go to my first visit?

PhotoChick
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Nah. I've been getting a full Brazillian since I was my top weight. No biggie.

You should def trim some before you go the first time. Try to leave a little less than an inch of hair. You don't want it too short, obviously, but if it's trimmed, it won't hurt as much. Longer hair is harder to pull. ;)

ladybugnessa
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
i have had it at 280 pounds. just be prepared to hold your tummy up so she can get to all the hair.

GradPhase
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm going for my first waxing at 2 on Wednesday and I see my guy for the first time in four months that night around 10. Yowzah! My best friend is going with me to get it done too, so we're planning on advil and lots of coffee afterwards as we wallow in self inflicted pain =)

KLK
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I never tried to do this myself, but I've had it done before at a salon. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, but the parts that I was expecting to hurt like he11 were actually fine and the area you'd expect to hurt the least hurts the most. Eek! Also, that woman put her hands in places I didn't even know existed so... yeah.

The good thing is that it grows back finer and lighter than it was.

carinna
08-18-2008, 10:23 PM
You're much braver than me (all of you), I'm still too chicken to get a wax. :o

lointhecity
08-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Actually I find a good brazilian always lifts my mood for some weird reason. I mostly laugh a bit, but then I just try to focus on my breathing and quite quickly it's over. It hurts me more to have my ankles waxed, but that's just me.

classc1
08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Thank you so much ladies for your responses...I don't know why, but I felt funny about trying it at my size....I think I am going to make an appointment.

Eskimomad...have fun ;)

junebug41
08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Never ever ever ever attempt to wax yourself at home.

Ever.

I think the level of pain depends on who is doing it and what type of wax. I have had some painful waxes before, but I went to a new salon that actually only does waxing and it was not very painful at all. In fact, I had my brows done right before and those hurt way worse, which never happens.

I think the hair has to be 1/4-1/2 inch long. You can pop an otc pain reliever like iburofen before you go to help aleviate the pain, too.

PhotoChick
08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Never ever ever ever attempt to wax yourself at home.
Ever.
Wellllll ... I wouldnt' go quite that far. ;)

I've waxed myself at home before - although not the full Brazillian. I've touched up my own bikini line when I couldn't get to my regular waxer and I do my own legs all the time.

I think there's a level of comfort with the process that you have to achieve first ... and having someone else do it a few times so you know what to expect helps a lot.

junebug41
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I do my own brows all the time, but I stand by never waxing your bikini by yourself, professionals aside. I don't think touch ups are so bad once you're accomplished, but I have known tooooo many first-timers that lose skin that way, so it's just my general belief.

belovedspirit
09-05-2013, 02:29 AM
I'm considering getting a Brazilian wax, but I'm wondering what that encompasses, exactly? I mean, is it standard for a Brazilian to also include the (possible tmi warning lol) butt crack and cheeks? :o

Clumsy
09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm considering getting a Brazilian wax, but I'm wondering what that encompasses, exactly? I mean, is it standard for a Brazilian to also include the (possible tmi warning lol) butt crack and cheeks? :o

Yes the crack. Not sure what you mean by cheeks. It also covers labia hairs. ... it basically can be all pubes. Your esthetician will talk to you about it and you can specify what, if anything you want to leave.
-----

I don't know why a person (especially if you have light skin and dark hair) who waxes regularly wouldn't just take that money and do laser hair removal treatments. The cost is similar and the results build to become permanent. It also hurts less IMO.

mzshaunna
09-17-2013, 07:45 PM
What Clumsy said :) I don't get them regularly but the first time I ever got one Iwas so nervous I think that's why it hurt more lol it's never a fun experience however I found you tend to get used to the pain and it isn't that bad after a while