Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: July 1 - 15, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: July 1 - 15, 2008

Mel
07-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Happy Canada Day! Do we have a Maple Leaf smilie? and Happy July 1st.

I was greeted this morning by 3 deer on my front lawn at 6:20 when I went out to get the newspaper. The sight of me, dripping wet in sports bra and my OSU lacrosse shorts sent them running to the neighbors' garden where they ate THEIR lilies instead of mine. I'm sure what's left of mine will be gone by the time I get home tonight, but it was entertaining scaring them.

Today is LEGS LITE at lunch. I'm going to do hack squats, single leg stand-ups, a lunge matrix, Bulgarian split squats, and hamstring ball pulls. I should be sufficiently drenched that it will be hard to go back to work :p

Have a great day, and a great start to July :carrot:

Mel

Meg
07-01-2008, 08:02 AM
:lol: Mel -- will you come be the scarecrow in my backyard?

midwife
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I started my July with a 3 mile run and a pile of protein pancakes. :carrot: Have a great day, all!

sportsfreak
07-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey everyone- because its canada day everythings closed here. i cant go any where.

I did w/o B2 yesterday- alittle sore from it but i think i am good. However i completly under ate for what i needed to eat. I just completly forgot i needed to eat 2000. It seems like i have to constantly eat to get in all the food i need to eat in a day.

With all the calories i have been eating- the scale has not moved so im guessing that is a good thing because i do not want to lose, just gain muscle.

elisa822
07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm still trying to get the food back on track and lose the few pounds I gained recently. I hope I'm on my way. I had what I thought was a great UBWO yesterday but I'm not at all sore right now....hmmm....it was either not as good as I thought or it just hasn't kicked in yet.

Yes, Canada Day here so most things are closed. I've done some gardening but didn't get in my run. We're going to a soccer game later and the weather is beautiful! :)

midwife - I'm envious of your run and your pancakes! I made a big batch earlier this week and even had some blueberries to throw in. I love them and wish I had someone to make them for me everyday! ;) I find them a bit of work when I think of all the dishes to wash...but I still love 'em!

I hope everyone has a great day.

:D

midwife
07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Elisa,
Yeah, I put blueberries in mine, too. When DD gets up at 5:30 to run with me, I whip up protein pancakes for the two of us. I just use my magic bullet blender so that is not too bad. Plus, DD does the dishes for me. I highly advise obtaining a 15 year old for kitchen cleaning purposes. :lol:

elisa822
07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
midwife - so that's what I'm missing...a teenager! ;) I use a regular blender, which is fine to clean but, because I'm hungry, I use two frying pans so it always seems like a mess to clean up.

You know what else? I was feeling blue since I don't have time for my run right now (and just painted my toenails ;)) but then I thought, what's wrong with after the soccer game? I don't think we'll be home too late and it's light out quite late. The only issue will be the "people traffic" where I normally run. It's Canada Day and the boardwalk on the beach will be way too packed to run. That's okay, if I want to go, I'll pick a different route.

Now it's time to find something for lunch.

WaterRat
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Yay, Elisa, finding a way to get that run in!

:lol: on the encounter with the deer, Mel! Back in 2001 I was at a conference in Santa Cruz, CA, and running early in the morning, in the fog and this deer and I came face-to-face. I don't know which of us was more startled! These small almost gray deer were everywhere on the campus of UCSC where we were staying. Much smaller than the east coast whitetails.

I'm still lethargic and finding it hard to make myself go exercise. I've got another doc's appt on 7/22, but I may see if I can move that up. (Of course, I'm also on call for jury duty this month - and as soon as I make an appt you can be sure I'll get called....) I do have my gym stuff in the car, and plan to at least do some cardio after work.

sportsfreak
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I just bought some cottege cheese and i opened it up and took a bit. Let me tell you its not that great.

Does anyone have any recipes or things i can eat with it.

Thanks

Mel
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Personally, I love cottage cheese, but there are loads of things you can do with it or mix in to change the taste or consistency. Which is it that you don't like?

I usually have a mix of cottage cheese and yogurt for my 10 am meal, with a few blueberries or strawberry slices thrown in.

I've also nuked it over apple slices and added cinnamon. You could add an egg white, a bit of splenda, and bake it in sprayed muffin tins to make a mock cheesecake. I've made "salad dressing" out of it in the blender with spices and a few spinach leaves for color.

My daughter mixes it with tuna and salsa...now that sounds gross to me, but she like it :p

Pat- My favorite wildlife story (other than the sea gull who fell dead out of the sky on my truck windshield in Sault Saint Marie) was the time that I stalked a moose to get a good photograph in Northern Quebec. Little did I know that 1) the moose couldn't care less and let me get about 15 feet from him and 2) moose have been known to charge freight trains and come out no worse for it. It was an incredibly dumb thing to do. But I have some GREAT moose photos!

Mel

midwife
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I love cottage cheese!

I eat it with berries, walnuts & honey; blended with oatmeal & eggs for protein pancakes; with spinach, olives, and roasted red peppers; with ground turkey and chile or tomato sauce. I imagine it would be good with basil and cracked black pepper....

I hope that someday you will like it as much as I do.

sportmom
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, I had to go look up jamskating after that description! For us old farts, I'd relate it to roller disco from our era, crossed with break dancing. Think the movie Zanadu. These kids are amazing and quite athletic. The utube if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvg7C8OhfRA&feature=related

sportmom
07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Freak, I'm withya on the ctg cheese. I have even tried buying those Breakstone mixers, where it's cottage cheese with strawberry sauce that you can mix in or cherries sauce and blech. For me it's definitely the consistency. I think I could get used to the taste. Let me know if you crack the code on it!

sportsfreak
07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
thanks for all of your sugesstions.

Sportsmom- i do hate the consistency of it the taste is iffy.

Ill see what i can do with it.

elisa822
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Pat - I'm sad to say you'll have to take back the "yay" for me since I didn't get in the run. :o We got home later than I thought we would and it was doable but it would have been tight for time.

Now, if anyone knows how to not beat themselves up over this type of thing (eating the wrong thing, missing a workout) let me know. It's something I constantly struggle with.

Mmmm...cottage cheese. I do love it but only some brands. In this country it's Dairyland or nothing for eating plain. Anything will do for the protein pancakes.

Mel - what do you do for the cottage cheese/yogurt ratio? Is it a half/half thing? I'd like to try it because I love yogurt but here, I can't find a brand with any decent amount of protein in it for the calories.

sportsfreak - check out this section of Krista's site (http://stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23) for lots of cottage cheese ideas.

Lydia227
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Dang. I just lost my post! Hate it when that happens. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? :chin: :lol:

Elisa: There is always tomorrow. :hug: Don't beat yourself up. Its about the long haul here, the most days, not a short streak. Big picture...at least that's what I tell myself when I have to skip because of life getting in the way.

I also have the cottage cheese and yogurt. Mine is 1/2 cup of cottage cheese mixed with 6 oz of nonfat plain yogurt. I add a little splenda, cinnamon, almond or walnut pieces and about a handful of blueberries. With a full 16 oz of water as a side it has the most calming effect upon me. Must be a great nutritionally sound snack to do that! :goodvibes:

Fran: I had no idea what jamskating was either. Never occurred to me to google it. Thanks for sharing. By the way, speaking of disco skating, did you have the jeans with the little rollerskate on the back pocket too? :lol3: ~sigh~ Goodtimes. :rofl:

Mel: Make lifesized cardboard photos of yourself. The deer population here is ridiculous. You could make boatloads of cash pawning them off before the OSU games this fall. :devil: :rofl: Actually, I could use one of these myself. I watched two deers run down the middle of the street a month ago. Just like they owned the place. I think they live at one of the golf courses and decided to pay a visit to another golf course on the other side of town. :D

Jams: So. You can do this? I'm impressed! Remind me to never go skating with you should the opportunity arrive in the near future. I'm a student of a lot of things right now and feeling quite humbled by all of them. I just can't add one more right now. :lol:

Speaking of student like experiences, cardio was the Tuesday night riding group. Last week was a challenge but now that I knew the course and had landmarks I was psyched. That's when she said, "Lets add four miles and get ice cream!" Really. Did I mention it was windy tonight too? Ice cream, unknown path, people have been known to cry taking this route into the next town, ice cream, ice cream, ICE CREAM. "Come on Lydia." In a very assuring and calm voice she looks me dead in the eyes and says, "I KNOW you can do this." "okay. i'm in." :^:

Well, she was right. I did do it. The other two women were quite ahead of me on their road bikes. Most of the trip for me was pedaling while standing upright. GOD I'M SO GLAD THAT I DO CORE WORK! My lovely Sedona http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/lifestyle/1135/28954/got me there alright.

The ride back was much better. I knew where I was and didn't worry about falling far behind. At this point the ride was mine. I had my iPod, I had the trail to follow, and a lot of lovely farms to pass through. On the last leg of the ride I did catch up with them and rolled into the parking lot along side of them. Not too bad for someone riding a heavier bike with smaller wheels, and bulky tires.

I'm still thinking it would be a whole lot more fun if I leveled the playing field by purchasing a road bike of my own. :chin: We'll see.

4rabbit
07-02-2008, 01:31 AM
HI LWL,

Just zooming by. I am lurking these days, because life turned crazy. Apart from remodelling the bathroom ( thank god I have 2, so the other one is in working order), I have work on my hands, kids on holiday & repairs going on in the house. On the - side: no time at all for workouts. On the + side: I was not sore one bit from using a 12 pound electric demolition hammer this weekend for 10 hours, also, I am so busy that I eat a lot less. And, magical for me...if I eat less, I loose weight! Who would have thought? now if I can keep that eating thing up...

Hi to everyone,
Lydia - WTG on the bike trip

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
07-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Lydia- I'm jealous! That sounds like so much fun. The hills here are so steep I really don't want to ride, and I don't know anyone to ride with:( I do have a nice bike tho- I think I'll bring it to Columbus next time!

Mel

midwife
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice job on the bike ride, Lydia! Sounds so beautiful---riding by farms. I bet it is green there and everything!

I usually just see lizards and bunnies on my runs, but this am, DD and I saw a coyote, so that was kind of cool. Once DH saw a mountain lion---I would be happy to never ever see a mountain lion when I run. I know we have deer in the mountains here but I have never seen one.

Lydia227
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Midwife: The thought of a mountain lion hanging around the next bend would be enough for me to stay tethered to the gym treadmill for those early morning runs forever! :fr:

Mel: I'm certain that you are an incredibly strong rider with all of those hills to practice on. :bike: If you do decide to bring your bike for that long drive let me know ahead of time and I can map some trails for you.

Rabbit: You sound incredibly constructive these days. Your home is going to be so beautiful when you have completed all of your projects. This must bring so much personal satisfaction.

My morning workout really was a drag. I don't think I really recovered enough from last night's ride. Nothing was sore I just didn't have any get and go. I decided just to do a recovery workout of 55 minutes of mixed cardio. No lifting. I didn't want to do a half effort and drag out recovery and more than one day. I want to be strong :lifter: for a couple more workouts this week. On the good side the scale was really kind and I'm finally at my summer time weight of 129 again. I want to plow through this point and see 120 by August.

elisa822
07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Lydia - we both tend to struggle with the same approximate weights. I don't think 120 is ever in my future but you go!! I saw 126.5 a couple of weeks ago but it's gone. I'm trying to get back to my ticker weight (shortly :)) and then 125 - really, my goal weight is a range. I'd love it to be 123-128. Gives me some wiggle room. The sad thing is that I don't think I can go much lower and, while I'm mostly pleased with the weight, there's still more "jiggly stuff" than I would like! :o

Did my power class today, yoga tomorrow and Friday will either be a LBWO or a run.

Now I think I need to try the whole cottage cheese/yogurt thing that everyone speaks so highly of. And I've been reinspired by the cottage cheese recipes that I linked to on Krista's site.

jamsk8r
07-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Fran and Lydia, that link is more for the younger set...I'm too old for all that breakdancing stuff. Here's more like the type of dancing I do when I go skating...it's a great workout, fun, and it's not necessary to be a gymnast to learn the moves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-Io320yyE&feature=related

Lydia, WTG on the bike ride! I'm not that good on a bike, yet. With the price of gas, I might get a chance to work on my skills, though.

Everybody else, pretend I responded to your posts and said nice things. ;) I've got to get myself to bed!

Lydia227
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
The scale gave me a reading of 128 today. :dance: I had to find the magic bathroom tile before it gave me this reading but I'm claiming it! Now, did someone say something about a holiday and block party tomorrow. :crazy: I really want to maintain this lose. It's going to be hard tomorrow so I'm going to go light today, maybe go in for an evening workout at the gym and plan plan plan the food choices.

Elisa: I'm more with the range mentality also. I just want to hit the number, take the picture and then move on. I've got a four year old bottle of champagne waiting to be uncorked in the pantry. I will turn it into a YouTube moment so I can share. :D It's got to be this summer. It just has to be.

About those jiggley places. I've got them too. All lower body. I think that in order for my legs to look leaner and tighter I would have to go to a very low bodyfat percentage. I'm just built to carry any excess weight on my hips and thighs. The actual size of my legs are fine. I just don't think they are proportional with the top half.

Jams: That is really cool. And may I add a little more my speed. :lol3: I even found myself dancing in my chair while I was watching it. Thanks for sharing. I can see how this would be a great workout. My shins and calves hurt from just imagining how to execute those movements.

jamsk8r
07-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Lydia, when the hippie bus stops to pick you up on your way here, pack the skates, and I'll show you some moves. I'll have to buy me some of those fancy pants with the sparkly rollerskate on the pocket, though, so I can look HOTTTT! :lol3:

Oh, almost forgot...congratulations on your scale number today! I hope you can hold onto it. I had to go to a catered dinner last night, one of those shmoozer deals. I had a gigantic serving of broccoli before leaving home, and that kept me out of trouble at the dinner. I just had a little chicken, salad and beans, like mini servings of each, I stayed away from the desserts, and drank only water, so I was angelically good! Of course, for my troubles, I was up .4 lbs on the scale this morning...what's up with that? ;) Anyway, maybe you can take preventive measures at the holiday foodfest, by eating something good or having a protein shake beforehand?

elisa822
07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Lydia - I'm waiting for the youtube moment (even though I never shared my first 5k videos ;)) I've been telling people that the moment that I see 125 on the scale, I'm taking my digital camera and taking a picture of my feet and that weight! Now that, I'll be sure to post here!

Great yoga class today, by the way. Super hard and hot in there but great. If I can keep the food in check and get in a run tomorrow, it will have been a pretty good week.

jams - I think I still might have my rollerskates somewhere and I used to be pretty good! I spent quite a few Saturdays at the local roller rink growing up.

WaterRat
07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Cheryl, what fun! Line dancing on skates.....

Elisa, I too spent many Sat afternoons at the local rollerskating rink. They don't even have them here anymore. Do they anywhere? Oh, they must - Cheryl goes to one - duh!

We have ice arenas which are hockey, hockey and more hockey, and once in awhile a public skate or some lessons.

jamsk8r
07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Pat, they are not as abundant or popular as they were when I was a kid, but they are still out there. :)

Mel, I just have to say that I'm intimidated by your idea of a "lite" legs day. What is your idea of "heavy"? Nevermind, it would probably give me bad dreams of 100 lb DBs and pistol squats.

Lydia227
07-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Pistol Squats. :woohoo: Let's hear it for the pistol squat! I've been passively working on this for over a year. I'm thinkin' its something I need to give a little more attention to if I really am serious about executing just one. You know, like take the bench away from my behind to start. :rofl:

Elisa: Glad you had a great yoga class tonight. Mine was cancelled ahead of time. There is a huge fireworks display downtown tonight and they canceled the class for this event. :dunno: It's been raining all day here and there's a chance tonight too so I'm not going. I would have much rather gone in to find my inner calm. OMG. Which reminds me. I've been taking my 9 year old son to the gym with me. He hangs out in an area that overlooks the fitness area. I can see him, he can see me. After my workout I'm doing my core and stretches and my planks led right into the cobra, downward dog and the rest of the sequence. I get up after a couple of these and walk over to tell him I'm ready to go. DS shouts out in a loud voice, "Great Mom, you must have found your "inner calm" today.":o Kids.;)

I did get my evening workout in as planned. 45 minutes of cardio and a little light upper body. I hit all the major muscles twice and called it a night. Tomorrow is another day. LEGS :D

So my plan for tomorrow's block party: Grilled chicken breast, sliced tomatos, Jicama salad(70 calories/cup) and maybe some watermelon. Jams, I'm taking your advice and drinking a protein shake just before as well. I think that's a great idea and it usually works for me.

What could really happen: I'm not even going to post the offerings that I know will be on the table tomorrow. It could send us all into a tailspin. DEEP BREATHE, :yoga:

sportmom
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Cheryl, I notice none of these people in any of the clips are overweight, but I sure see the red shirted girl on the back row getting in her cardio by how much she is sweating! That v-split on front wheels is CRAZY! I think you're already doing Mel's lower body heavy! Holy moly!

Lydia, oh no, your weather forecast means our 4th or dd's swim meet on saturday will be a rain out. I don't have any plans tomorrow - was using the 6 am wakeup on saturday as a good 'scuse not to have to do the dreaded fireworks again.... we've tried them in a variety of locales and i guess i'm just getting old bc they never seem worth the traffic on the ride home to me. course once you've seen them in disney.... we've done baltimore over the harbor but not dc yet.

WaterRat
07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Have a great 4th weekend everyone. There are no fireworks at the 4th in Alaska - because there is no darkness! :) We have grand displays at New Year's though.

No big plans here. One BBQ Sunday afternoon. I figure I'll eat breakfast late, then have my second - and only other - meal for the day there. I have no idea what'll be on offer, but surely some sort of salads/veg and chicken or plain burgers. Otherwise, I'm eating at home so it'll be my normal stuff.

denvertechchick
07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Ah, the 4th of July. One of my favorite holidays. And this year - a free day! Freedom..... freedom..... break out the Sousa marches, the 1812 Overture, and the CANNONS!

Cheryl, you should change your username to WillPowerOnWheels!!! Good job! I was inspired to check to see if there are any rinks that offer classes, but no luck for me here in CowTown.

Lydia, your son is too funny. Out of the mouths of babes.....

There's a raccoon that lives in the storm drain on the corner here in my neck of the woods. I hope all the wildlife makes it through the holiday OK. A lot of people set off firecrackers, even though it's illegal here. I think the only legal firework is the growing black snake. But I've been hearing a lot more crackles and pops than black snakes. I just hope the critters don't get hurt.

Hope you all have a fun and happy Independence Day!!!!

Lydia227
07-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Cheryl: You are NOT going to believe this. The Hippie Dippy Bus actually came! It was one of the entries in the local parade this morning. One of the neighborhood put together a float that looked like VW minibus. Leading the bus were some of the women of the neighborhood with long flowing hair or wigs, small John Lennon like sunglasses, some with "Go Go boots" mini skirts, halter tops and bells on their bottoms. The second float they did held five or six other women dressed in Woodstock like flowing dresses, behind them were most of the men, children and maybe some of the other women of the neighborhood also dressed in the '60's style. They all followed behind the floats dancing with hula hoops made into Peace signs with maybe colored tape. The music was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhbxI5eVnM4&feature=related

Too funny. The whole time I'm standing thing going, "I wish I had a video of THIS. Jams would love it! :cool:

Happy Fourth Everyone!:D

elisa822
07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Happy Fourth of July to all my neighbours south of the border! I hope everyone is having a great day with some wonderful (mostly) healthy food and good times with friends and family. :)

I shouldn't be too surprised that it's quiet here today. Well, it's just a regular Friday for me but I did get off of work at noon, the weather is beautiful and I had a nice leisurely 6k run. I set out for 5 but it felt good so I snuck in a little extra. :carrot: I have also made a delicious pitcher of homemade iced tea with lots of lemon and Splenda. Yummy!

I think I have finally convinced my husband to see SATC (while it's still playing) so that's what we're doing tonight. I anticipate some popcorn in my future but I don't feel too bad. We just don't go to the movies too often so I like the treat. I know it's bad but I think it will be okay as long as I stay on track the rest of the weekend.

Lydia - your food plan sounds great and delicious...I hope it all works out and that you get to enjoy some nice weather.

srmb60
07-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Did you all have a good holiday?

Back lite (with one eye on my shoulder) yesterday. I used exercises out of the last Oxygen mag I got, kept the weight lighter. It felt good, still does.

jamsk8r
07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey, my peeps! Lydia, that clip was a little scary, to tell the truth. Funny that they had a hippie 'bus' in the parade.

My sister and I went down to the Tall Ships fest in Tacoma, to see friends and throw some brownies at the crew of her boat, then we walked 2 miles down the waterfront to meet up with a friend of mine from skating, who was at the "freedom fair", basically another fest with booths, an airshow and fireworks at night. We didn't have hippies, but you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a "pirate"...shudder.

On the plus side, these guys were there, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoaO42Kbaj4. :love: I was missing my skates, since I'm no good at dancing in shoes. Eating was good, just a burger and tons of water at the fest.

Came home early to take care of dogs, had brocc and salmon for dinner, and watched a movie. My ds was at a friend's house, so I didn't have to do the fireworks thing this year.

Meant to go back to the tall ships fest today, for a chanty sing, but might skip it. I was kinda fested-out after yesterday, and with the whole "homeland security" feeling at this fest, they'd probably arrest us for singing maritime songs in public without a license. We were almost killed just trying to deliver the brownies, yesterday. :rolleyes:

Mel
07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Cheryl :rofl: What in the world does Homeland Security have against tall ships or sea shanties? Lot's of pirates out there, matey? Any Flying Spaghetti Monsters?

We had a subdued 4th here. It poured. I'm sure, somewhere, there were fireworks, but our got washed out. It poured last year, too. We barbecued with neighbors at lunch time and I had a bunless burger and a heap o' salad, no desset. It felt too early to have wine, so that was that. Dinner was yum, the, even if I had to cook it myself . I made duck breasts with blueberry sauce, green beens (very garlicky) and cantaloupe. Wine appeared.

Today was back to normal. Another legs light session, because I did a home workout. I broke all my own rules and did some high rep work, but changed up my form, so I'm sure I'll feel those butt to the floor front squats tomorrow even though I wasn't lifting a ton. Also included stationary weighted lunges, one legged deadlifts with the long bar, front squat thrusts, hamstring ball pulls, and YES! Pistol squats :lol3: I'm finally able to do ten on each leg before I keel over!

Hope you are all having great long weekends :)

Mel

Depalma
07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm finally able to do ten on each leg before I keel over!

Mel

I like how you say that as if it's not impressive.
I don't think I'll ever be able to do pistols. I can do one-legged squats to a box, just tap and go, but I don't think I'll ever get full-fledged ROM on pistols.

My glutes are still on fire from Thursday's workout

Box Jumps 4x6
Giant Cambered Bar Box Squats 5x5
Trap Bar Deadlift 3x6
DB Walking Lunges 3X10

Some external rotation, t-spine mobility, and core stabilization work mixed in between sets of the Squats, deads, and lunges.

Finished up with 3 rounds of a medball circuit:
10 shot put tosses right
10 shot put tosses left
10 scoop throws left
10 scoop throws right
10 chest passes
10 scoop throws front

srmb60
07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh you people and youtube?!?! It's like a double-dog-dare!

What do you think of this guy? MichaelFerencsik

jamsk8r
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Mel: anti-terrorism laws(?), popular event, large crowds, blahblahblah. I was joking about the chanty thing, but that's about how uptight they are down there.

Tried those ham curls on the ball again today, after my workout...man, those are killer, but I did five in a row this time, before I fell off the ball, so I'm improving. :D

srmb60
07-06-2008, 06:01 AM
I was saved from that dare by DH who whisked me off to a barbeque. But I'll probably try some of that today.

I fall off the ball doing almost everything!

4rabbit
07-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Susan,

Likewise here! I just fell off one day by forgetting that I had a weight in one hand...just slided right to that side & fell off. like gravity works all day, every day.

Still way too busy to do anything but lurk,
have a great weekend all,
rabbit

sportsfreak
07-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been busy for a few days since it was my b-day july 3. Im finally 17

Only one more year until the big 18- cant wait
This weekend are my rest days and back to NRLW on monday.
I seem to enjoy the time there, it seems like it is the only time i have to myself in the day, it feels peacfull- especially the bike ride, i love that.

I finally got up the guts to try to eat the cottage cheese as it is and its not that bad, i cant deal with it.

See u all later

Lydia227
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Sportsfreak. :bday2you: I rarely eat the cottage cheese cold right out of the container. I have to be in a really big hurry and very hungry for that. In the evening if I'm up late and need a little extra I will warm half a cup up with splenda, cinnamon, and a little vanilla in the microwave.

Yesterday I woke up at 4:00am and couldn't sleep. It happens sometimes. I made use of the quiet to read, get the laundry done, and do some planning. My workout was okay. Decent cardio session but the lifting was a little sluggish. The rest of the afternoon was spent running errands and dinner with my parents. By 9:00pm I was so tired my face hurt. :faint: Today is a rest day and I'm not doing anything that requires more than a book and my patio. Nice idea right? :s:

Mel: Flying Spaghetti Monster. :rofl:

So the scale has shown 127 for the past two days. It was up to 129 this morning but I think that's because of last nights late dinner. I'm hoping to revisit 127 by Tuesday again and then it's downward from there.

Mel
07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Happy Monday after a long weekend! :(

I could happily live with three day weekends, but I'd sure have to get eating and exercise on a different schedule. This was a fun weekend, but my clothes are tight :p

We watched endless tennis- did anyone else see the Wimbledon finals? I'm always in awe of the Williams sisters and had a lovely time watching Rapael Nadal's muscles beating Roger Federer :lol:

Back to the reality of a five day week now. Cardio done, chest and back at lunch time.

Mel

elisa822
07-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Mel - I absolutely spent yesterday (all day really!) watching the men's finals. Wow, what an amazing show of skills. I don't know why but I think I was kind or rooting for Roger Federer, but mostly I just wanted to see a great match. Anyone up for some tennis? Wimbledon does that to me every year.

Lydia - good for you on the scale and for being so calm with the 129 showing out of the blue. I saw 130 today :( but I'm hoping it will drop back down quickly this week :crossed:

I got in another run yesterday...it was just an amazing weekend, weather wise here, and today will be UBWO, I think.

Happy Monday!

sportmom
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
We spent all last week watching US Olympic trials, mainly swimming but also some track & field. DD was disappointed to learn that lax is not played in the olympics mostly bc it is not played in enough other countries (any?). Looks like it will just be a toss up between soccer and swimming for her in 2016 ;). Hey, it's good to have goals even if you're only 8! :twirly:

After 3 "post surgery back to lifting" workouts, I was able to increase my squat weights and reps on the ball squats! I thought I would be able to workout again in 48 hrs, but I was wrong! Still have achey legs so will wait for that daily living pain to cease before I lift again. I guess it really IS true that if you can lift the same body parts every 48 hours you need to be lifting heavier!! :lifter:

RobertW
07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
We spent all last week watching US Olympic trials, mainly swimming :

Did you see 41 year old Dara Torres? She was fitter looking than Michael Phelps.

I have recently embraced Cardio training, doing 1hour on the elliptical machine 5 days/ week (HR avg. 141-149). I am cutting back on the lifting, switching to machine circuit training 2xweek and free weights (so i don't forget how to lift) once a week. Diet is 2,000 cal/day, although I have been rather undisciplined on the past few weekends.

sportmom
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, I did see Torres. And her cute little 2 year old waving from the stands. Very touching.

Are you just trying to shake things up for yourself Robert, or do you feel like cardio is just more manageable now?

RobertW
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, I did see Torres. And her cute little 2 year old waving from the stands. Very touching.

Are you just trying to shake things up for yourself Robert, or do you feel like cardio is just more manageable now?

I just like the elliptical machine better than the lifecycle or rower I was using before. Cardio is something I have always hated and avoided, but I am finding it almost fun on the elliptical. Each session I try to hit a new goal on the calorie counter (1,062 today, avg. 7.08 mph on level 12 of the Hill+ program, Life Fitness machine), which helps keep it interesting. The YMCA has plenty of TV's to watch, plus I listen to my ipod.

I am planning on focusing on cardio and dieting until I hit my goal weight and then get back to serious strength training before I get too old to hit the strength goals I would like to reach.

Mel
07-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Robert- Why not do some of each? It's how I lost and continue to maintain. The hill program on the LifeFitness is my favorite...:p

lax is not played in the olympics mostly bc it is not played in enough other countries

Fran- My dd was also disappointed. BUT there is a national team and currently about 10-15 countries play for a World Cup (Women's) every 4 years. DD (who was born in Canada) played for Team Canada in England in 2001. It was incredibly exciting, even though it wasn't the Olympics! The year that she played, England, Scotland, Germany, Australia, Canada, Wales and Japan sent teams. And, um, somewhere else :dizzy: Even more countries have U-19 teams.

I saw Torres and was in awe. I hope she's there again in 4 years!

Mel

sportmom
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Cool Mel, well that certainly seems like enough countries to feed an Olympic type playoff. Maybe in another 10 years. How cool about your dd playing for a country team - I had no idea! We're keeping our eyes on M&D Lax in about another 2 years, thanks to your tip to me last year.

srmb60
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
My husband is trying to kill me ... and I'm not joking. I did legs and recumbant bike at the gym last night. He was there, he knew. And then we get home and he wants me to carry shingles up a ladder.
Thank heaven we're only building a small shed.

midwife
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I've been following the Olympic Trials as well. I was very inspired by Torres. We watched a lot of the track and field trials, and those ladies (and gents) inspired me as well. I love just how in shape and strong all these athletes are. I have a lot more appreciation for how muscular they are this year than in years past.

denvertechchick
07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey all!

Just chickin in.

I went to do my UBWO (hey - it was Monday!) and went to the preacher bench. Some grody person left blood all over it. :dracula:

Proud to say that I didn't let the gross-out interfere with my UBWO! Bench press seemed more difficult than usual - then when I was finished, I noticed that the weights I usually use weren't there & I had gone up a size without realizing it! :woohoo:

Last night they had American Gladiators on. Holy cow, that Titan has an amazing bod!! Did anyone else see the 50 year old Asian woman finish the Eliminator! Good for you, Yoko! :cp:

Lydia227
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Susan: He was just trying to throw in a little functional fitness for you too. :D

No lifting for me today. It's looking like a nice evening for a ride though. :bike: I have officially begun my search for the perfect road bike fit. First shop I went to last night didn't have the size I needed. Figures. I'm riding tonight so I will make more excursions Thursday and Friday. So far the best advice I have received is "spend the money on the best frame you can afford." Interesting how entering the shop I was set on only spending up to $1,000. on a bike after walking out I began thinking about the 1500. bike instead. :dizzy: Before I spend any money though I'm doing a lot more research and taking friends who ride along with me. :yes: I may scream "newbie" to the saleskid but I got friends...:cool:

This summer seems to have a bit of a biking theme for our family this year. I didn't really pursuit it, it just kind of developed. DS1 rode his bike to the library all by himself this morning. ~sigh~ I made him take my cell phone and call me immediately after he arrived and when he was to leave. He looked like a mix between being a grown up kid and a bit of a goof. Last night DS2 was inspired by our trip to the bikeshop and made us dig out the two wheeled bike DS1 retired last year. DS2 rode the bike down the driveway turned and rode back up without any wobbliness or falling. No training wheels. Kids got balance! :D This afternoon my bike rack is being delivered and Thursday I'm having a hitch put on my SUV for the rack. How did all of this happen? Oh well, I'm just going to flow with it and learn as much as I can from friends for my experience. I am also going to enjoy that this is something I can share with my sons and husband as well. :)
Have a great afternoon everyone. :wave:

sportmom
07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Good for you Lydia - how cool is it to be morphing into a new sport!

I got the all clear from my urologist today, clear renal u/s, yahoo! The stone was a calcium oxylate variety, which means I should also avoid all kinds of healthy food like nuts, s. potatoes, beans, red grapes. Rats! Those are just the things I love - things like spinach and beets did not make me blink twice ;) Mel, thanks for the tip from your dh's plan about the lemon. I'm not sure if I'm taking enough, but I cut one up each week and then squeeze a wedge into a tumbler of water once each day. Trying to balance that with taking good care of my enamel as well. And it turns out for this type of stone, I'm a month ahead. Heck, i was so freaked out by the pain I have just eliminated everything on any kind of list over the last month anyway! Good to know it was not for nothing.

Back to full scale working out tomorrow with w/l, cardio and looking forrward to pilates again later in the week. I'm a new woman! :strong:

WaterRat
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm a new woman!

So who will you be? :lol: Will we still recognize you? Seriously, glad to hear you're better.

Lydia, his first solo bike excursion and he rides to the library? I'm so proud! :) DH was shopping for a bike earlier this summer and ran into the sticker shock. He's still riding my bike these days.... The main street from where we live into town is being rebuilt - we can barely get down it in a car, so a bike is out of the question. We put the bike in/on the car and go into town to ride. The new road will be wonderful, straighter, wider and will have a paved bike trail! Not scheduled to be done until some time NEXT summer....

Did you see Skwigg's latest post - has 3 Olympic women, including Dara Torres, with great abs.... Inspiring, they must have no body fat.

Mel
07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Fran- Fantastic news! You are already on the right track. I think dh has about double that lemon level, tho. Limes also work. He's not concerned about calories (too much) and drinks 2 diluted glasses of "Simply Lemonade" or Simply Limeade" per day, 1/2 water, 1/2 "ade".

Lydia- have you gotten cool cycling clothes yet? I used to be in another board with a bunch of women who also "morphed" from running and lifting to serious cycling and lifting. The had the COOLEST women's cycling clothes. I'll see if I can find the web-site for you for the clothes- the board is dead now. Sounds like you are having fun! And congrats to the newest cyclists in your family and the newly independent one. How nervous were you? ;)

Denver- BLOOD???? That's taking the "no pain, no gain" attitude a bit too far, IMO. I hope someone cleaned it up! Congrats on moving up in weights. Sometimes it's easier if you don't know :rofl:

I did legs lite yesterday and am feeling it. Absolutely nothing fancy :(

I did, however, find an exercise which I absolutely cannot do. Of course, this bugs me no end and I'll keep trying until I either get it or get hurt :o There is a ballet barre attached to one wall of the gym. On Monday I saw a guy with his shoulders and back on a stability ball, grasping the barre overhead behind him. He was doing hip raises with his legs pointed perfectly towards the ceiling. My attempt resulted on rolling around on the ball a few times, then getting my legs up there, but I was totally unable to do the hip raise. I can do them just fine on the clor or an ab bench. I eventually settled for some v-up type ab exercises in this position and bicycle crunches, but I WILL do those hip raises! :dizzy:

Cardio done, shoulders at lunch.

Mel

denvertechchick
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Mel, yes, it was blood. Pretty gross, but it's a university gym and the 18YOs seem to think that their moms will clean their machines when they are done. I did let the staff know. Maybe I should get a Rainier Wolfcastle T-shirt that says "Homer! Wipe off the machines, I'm getting a rash." :doh:

Sportmom, congrats!!!!!

Lydia, I went for a bike ride yesterday. I have a big beach cruiser with streamers and everything. It's a blast to ride. People really love that thing and they smile when they see it. I guess it's just the clown in me, but it's a lot of fun to get out there on that bike! My favorite cardio! It's been thunderstorming in the evenings here, so I haven't been on it lately.

Iiiiiii saw a new number on the scaaaale toodaaayy...... pretty amazing considering the bingefest that was the 4th of July weekend. Well, I'll keep up the work - I think I found my BMR by using Fitday and some really obsessive tracking over weight, sizes, and calories.

midwife
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Lydia,

I love your bike stories. I just bought my very first bike last month and I have been playing around with it. I am a total novice. There is a women's bike group here in town that offers classes and group rides for women of different levels and I am going to join it. I would like to become a *serious* bicyclist.

We need pix of you on your bike!! And I'll try to get pix of me on mine. :)

ETA: Congrats on the new #, Denver!

jamsk8r
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Lydia, funny you should say that. My ds has been campaigning to be allowed to ride solo to the library, which is 2 miles each way, and today I finally let him go. In fact, he just called to tell me he had arrived safe. Now, where did I stash that whiskey? ;)

Had a good workout at home today. FBWO this week, as I haven't quite gotten my act together with planning a decent split schedule. I think I'll just stick with a very simple FBWO for a month or so, which will leave me enough left in the tank to learn some new exercises. Speaking of that, I've been practicing Overhead Squats with a stick, and feel like I'm finally getting there. Will still do many, many more before being foolish enough to try it with weights, but at least my shoulders are not screaming quite so loud in practice!

Lydia227
07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Cheryl: Yours Too! I know we are at least two miles from the library :dunno: maybe even a little further but it's less than five. Nerve wrecking isn't it. But he'll be ten next month and I've seen kids his size/age all summer long zipping about. ~sigh~ It's time to cut the strings. Whiskey. :devil: My luck I'd get a call from the police department asking to pick my son up for not crossing the street properly just as the bottle clincked the glass.

I've been playing with overhead squats too. I'm not using real weight, just a 12 pound bar but it's all about balance for me right now. Good luck shaping your movement down and all the way back up again. ;)

I found this crossfit video helpful too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIBnUGxpJQE

Midwife: Pix of my bike. Let's wait until I get the new one and then we'll do the photo shoot. I'm hardly a serious rider yet either but having some fun with it. You should join the cycling group if you have the time. I'd love to share my pain in acclimating to outdoor adventures with you. Seriously I was thinking about this last night. It is so difficult to work these rides around decent weather. Just as I loaded the bike and headed over to the meeting place the sky opened up and it rained for about an hour. Halfway there I called the other two to see what they wanted to do. They decided not to meet for a ride. Since I was already on the road I just headed over to my gym and got my cardio and light upper body lifting in anyway.

Denverchick: You need to post pix of you and your bike too! I'd love to see that beach cruiser with the streamers and everything. Congratulations on your new scale number! You too can do the happy scale dance. :dance:

Mel: Ohhh the clothes. I found a few interesting sites since you have now peaked my interest. I'm sure a few jerseys will find there way into my closet at some point. Right now the only one that really applies is this one

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=23089

Yep, that would be me, the Hill Slug. So colorful too. I suppose that is the point so that you are very visible in traffic. Ya know, so they can hit you square on! I really think this is a sport that has the potential to attract mostly extroverts. Think about it, bright skin tight flashing clothes that scream "LOOK AT ME!", riding outside where everyone and anyone going about their day CAN see you, the big social groups formed to support this interest. :dizzy: It actually causes me a little anxiety. I have decided though that I will only do this on my terms. Besides, I didn't start out doing front squats and bench pressing on my first day of the gym either. So...I'll get there but in my way.

By the way Mel, I have no doubt you will be doing those hip raises soon. You and that guy will be the only two in the whole place who can do them.

Oh, and yes, I did hold my breathe the whole time DS1 was out on his bike. He was so proud of himself. He even asked if I needed something from the store. :lol3: PRICELESS.

Pat: Of course his first solo ride would be to the library. We :love: our library. DS1 completed all the hours for the childrens summer reading program last month and is now using sheets marked for additional reading. The prize this year is a Nintendo DS so there is a little motivation there too. However, the boy reads A LOT! Currently he is reading the Wright Three with several of his classmates. His teacher created an online site where the children can post their discoveries about the book online. I sneak on there every once and awhile and read their postings. It's a hoot.

http://wrightcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/wright3.html

Fran: After all that you have been through you ARE a new woman I'm sorry about your food list too. I love all of those things and red grapes are a staple in our house. And spinach, beets... ~sigh~ I'm adding lemon too just to be on the safe side. Hope you enjoy your first full scale workout! Let me warn you, your gonna be sore....again...you already know that though.

Tomato
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I spent a nice hour at the gym this afternoon. But I don't think I will ever learn the names of the various exercises. Lateral this or that, flyes, extensions .... I give up.. :(

But I worked hard. When I was walking down the stairs (the machines and weights are upstairs) my legs were quite visibly shaky and I think that I will be lucky to lift up my toothbrush to my mouth tomorrow morning. :D

Oh, and I forgot to say that as I as returning home thinking I can veg out in front of the TV for a bit, I realized I still owe my dogs at least 1 mile walk, so off we went. When I got home, I spent another 15 minutes getting garbage and all the brown bags with yard waste to the curb (I filled EIGHT of them this week). That's ok, I can handle it. I am woman, I can rrrrroarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

jamsk8r
07-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Lydia, I'm still working on the balance, though that is getting better so far, and flexibility...ouch. My first reaction to the OH squat was "hate", then my second was, "I never have to do those, right?" But, now, I am starting to like it, and I really feel like it's helping my back squat get deeper, and stronger at the bottom.

Speaking of painful torture...I've been doing those GHD sit-ups from the crossfit site...has anyone tried those? They are ab killers! I'm addicted! I've been doing them on the swiss ball at home. Our Y has a couple of glute-ham developers, but they don't have the double roller, so I can't do the situps on them. :( (pretty sure I'd forget, try to touch my shoe, and end up on my face, lol)

Tomato, I know how you feel. It's a bit overwhelming at first. Things will start falling into place eventually, though, and making sense!

ETA: forgot to say, the boy made it home safe and sound. Now, he says he wants to go back again tomorrow! :faint:

Mel
07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Lydia- teamestrogen was the site where they all bought their great clothes. Almost made me want to ride...except I live in PA where there are BIG hills :(

Cheryl and Lydia- Wait until they start driving! :rofl:

Actually that's not at all funny right now. One of the kids in our neighborhood who was ds's best friend from ages 4-11 was in a horrendous one car accident about a month ago and has serious brain trauma although physically fine. We are waiting anxiously to see how much rehab brings back during the 18 month "golden window". I was tempted to never let my son drive again.

Tomato- Good job! Do you have any books that you are working from? I found it helped to learn exercise names by function. Chest press; one arm row. Lateral (synonym for side) raise...etc.

Cardio done, food packed, back and chest at lunch...and another attempt at those on the ball hip raises!

Mel

srmb60
07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
I learn the names of exercises by check, check double checking exrx and bodybuilding.com :D

I tried pistol squats. One on my left leg but two on the right!

Tomato
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, ladies.
I have to admit I actually know what lateral means (I do a lot of translations of medical texts so lateral, anterior, posterior etc. are my best friends). But, that does not mean it's helping with the exercise names - for my pea brain, the names are too complicated. :D
I occasionally buy some fitness mags (like Oxygen, e.g.) and I also check out all the exercise websites that get referenced on the forums here.

Last night at the gym, I had a serious :drool: problem. A chick came in - maybe 30 years old - but she looked like Miss Olympia. She wore a top with a very narrow racer back (one strap down the middle of the back) so it exposed her muscles very nicely. When she moved, it was like a ripple on a surface of a lake. You could see every single muscle on her. I hope she did not get any wrong ideas about my sexual orientation but I could not help ogling her. :spin:

srmb60
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Went to the gym for chest and tri's this morning.

I grabbed a light bar and headed for a bench.
A grey haired lady who is always talking "I've never seen anybody do that before."
"It's a chest press. I don't use the machine because it's too heavy."
"Oh I've just never seen anyone do that before. Is it (insert name of gym owner here) approved?"
"I never asked."
Whispers to a friend "Does (insert name of on duty PT here) see that?"

UGH! Seriously? It's a chest press!

Despite this odd little woman, I had a good workout and PT and I had a nice chat about nutrition and shrinking.

Oh and about learing ... she was well silvered and lined ... pushing 70 probably. Awesome! She used this ab machine like nothin' and then had to help me get started 45 lbs different. Lovely torso!

Lydia227
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
That's ok, I can handle it. I am woman, I can rrrrroarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Darn right! This one is for you. :hug: I've had my eye on this tshirt all summer. :D

http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2951&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=682&iSubCat=684&iProductID=2951

By the way she must have really been amazing. That was quite a description. I think I know what she looks like now and I wasn't even there. It really is inspiring to see someone who has leaned out enough to display that much muscle development. Some of it could be genetics in regard to how/where she carries bodyfat. Course if she's always been active and lifted then maybe she never added excess bodyfat to her frame anyway. :^:

Susan: :lol3: Oh boy, I hope she sticks around awhile because you are going to have all kinds of tricks to show her as you continue to learn new moves. Oh and congratulations on your pistol squats. Those thing are soooo challenging.

Mel: Sorry to hear about your ds's friend. How horrible for that young man and his family. How did the on the ball hip raises go today? :devil:

Chery: So DS decided to trot off to the library once again with his bike. An hour later he calls to ask for directions. He took the wrong turn and is lost. (Play dramatic music here.) Fortunately, he had the good sense to stop at an intersection to give me an address. All he needed to do was continue down the residential, happy tree lined street he was on and he would have known instantly where he was. North son, keep going North. Confident that he would be home soon I hung up. Five minutes later he calls back. Will you come get me. :^: My legs are tired from all of this pedaling. Meanwhile DH took a vacation day today and is in the general area with his car. It occurred to me to have him pick up DS but thought I would help him save face. I raced out to the place where DS was thew his bike in the back and gave him a guided tour of all the side streets between our home and the library. Pay attention son, you need to know this...He was fine and ever so grateful that I came to get him. I told him not to sweat it, it won't be the last time I come get him and I was glad he called. Besides, I have a feeling I will be calling home from my cell for DH and DSs to pick me and my bike up from some remote location in the future too. :D Funny thing is, DH passed us on the way home and we pulled into the driveway the same time. DH tried so hard not to laugh as we pulled the bike out of the back of the SUV. He's a great dad.

Today was upper body and I brought DH in to spot me for my bench presses. DS came along to watch as I loaded the plates on the bar. He proudly announces Mom is going to bench 50 lbs. :coach: (ouch) :^: I can do more than that...DH explained to him that the bar also weighs an additional 45 and that Mom is actually doing 95 today. My goal was 5 sets of 5 I got in 3 sets of 6 and sent out a gutteral "up" on the fifth rep of the following two sets. Meaning that DH has to swope in and pick it up off my chest. Oh well, maybe next time. Tonight is yoga. Can't wait.

WaterRat
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Good work, Lydia! And nice that you helped DS save face, too. We're having a pet parade at our library this morning so it's been a madhouse here since we opened. Too bad the webcam doesn't cover the lawn where the parade was - it was sooo cute!

srmb60
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I just did delts out of Muscle and Fitness (the real one). :strong:Steve Kuclo's workout.:strong: Well perhaps a light run through of Steve Kuclo's workout. Feels good! Really big and bad! :wl:

Mel
07-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Pat- Would you repost the link to the webcam in a new thread? I always enjoyed it!

OK, so I tried the on the ball hip raises again much to the amusement of a guy on a treadmill nearby. I thought he was going to fly off from looking sideways :rofl:

After sliding off a few times, almost sliding backward onto my head a few times, I manage to maybe lift my hips about 2 millimeters. BUT...my legs were straight up and I didn't fall off. :D I WILL get this. Somehow. It's a really interesting experiment in the difference between pure and functional strength. Doing these on a bench, even steeply declined, is quite easy for me. Without a solid surface under me, it's a whole different ball game...and I'm not winning yet :rofl:

Lydia- a 95 pound bp is nothing to sneeze at! good job.

Susan- You always make me chuckle :) Thank you.

srmb60
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I thought my pregnant DD had all the hormones but Mel you made me teary. I like laughter. More people should do it.

srmb60
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
With my work schedule all messed up this week, my gym days are a mess too. So I chose body parts that didn't ache any more ;) Calf raises on a machine nobody ever uses, quads on an extension machine .... drop sets I think they're called and a preacher curl machine. It was fun and nobody was looking.

Nix143
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey everyone, thought I would drop in and say howdy doody. I eventually got my weights AND my NROL4W and have been having a lovely time to be honest. I'm currently doing some Crossfit stuff as I am off to Portugal next Friday and didn't want to start my NROL4W and then have a big break in the middle. Then when I get back I'm off down the sweaty grunty lifters gym LOL to start training in earnest.

I've struggled a little bit with the consistency of using the weights at home - I don't have a rack and don't really want to invest in one and whoever said changing the weights each time I changed the exercise would be a pain was right. Plus I never thought it would happen but I got addicted to the long cardio buzz I was getting and would catch myself sacking off a strength day in favour of a cardio day. That's why I've been trying some Crossfit stuff at home - it gives me a cardio kick but also gets me into the strength stuff as well. Have been down to the gym and spoken to the woman who runs it - you should see the pictures on the wall of her when she was at her body building peak! Eeeeek!

I am still debating whether I do BFL or NROL4W to be honest, watch this space. Happy July and big ups to the lot of you! xx

elisa822
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Nix - I think you might be alone in the "I love Cardio" corner ;) but :carrot: for you! I wish I loved it. I find it generally boring. The only thing I can really tolerate is a run outside. NROL4W is still popular in these parts. I was following their workouts but have recently gone off and done a bit of this and that from different sources. I have never done BFL so I can't comment. Since I like doing so many different things, I can't seem to stick to the schedule that the programs like BFL etc. want you to.

I had an okay exercise week and a good food week. I've only been somewhat rewarded by the scale :?: but the scary part is that I'm heading to a cottage this weekend. I will really only be there for 24 hours but I can do a lot of damage in 24 hours! ;) I'm hoping to keep myself somewhat in check.

Hi to everyone and have a great weekend!

Tomato
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Lydia,

You rock, baby! 95 pounds - I am floored. Wait, I can actually scoop up and lift up my dog, who is 60 lbs, but I don't think that counts. :-)

Thanks for the link to the Roar Tshirt. Although I maintain a strict policy to NEVER buy anything online (anything to wear that is) because nothing ever fits me and if you live in Canada, it's not much fun return things because you always $ on it. But the moment I saw the T, I was immediately clicking the Add to Cart button - but all colours are sold out. Drat!

I also checked out the TeamEstrogen site and almost had a minor hard attack when I checked out some of the sizing charts. So some items list size 10-12 as XL - would you believe it? Another item lists my size (chest 42" as Triple XL. There are many lovely items on that site, but some of them are so expensive (like some sleeveless tops for $144, etc.). Sorry, not really a lift related discussion, just a little rant.
I did like some bras there though.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend. I am not sure if I will do any lifting tonight - since I am going to the gym tomorrow for a 1/2 hr core class, I will most likely do some lifting afterwards to save myself a trip tonight. I have to go Petsmart as we running very low on kibble.

jamsk8r
07-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey ladies and gents,

My gym schedule is all mixed up, too. I had it all figured out, when I thought I couldn't skate, but now I'm back to skating, I've had to readjust my lifting workouts and schedule to accomodate that. I tried the full body workout Weds morning with skating that evening...Let's just say that was WRONG. I didn't have the energy I should have, though I did trudge through 2 hours of skating anyway. So, I'm going to the Y tomorrow around noonish, to see if getting in a Saturday workout is possible. I figured out that if I do a FB lifting workout Tu/Thu/Sat around lunch time, that would give me the max rest between skating and lifting (and the other way around). Apart from going mental trying to figure out a schedule that works, though, the lifting has been good!

I figured out a cool contraption for working out at home, so I can get the "pulldown" effect if needed. My ds has a tire swing outside, so I unsnapped that from the chain it hangs from, and used a couple of dog leashes run through that, and a DB that takes standard plates. I had to sit in a chair, because it was too short for me to stand, but it worked great! Not having a pull-up bar, that has been one problem working out at home. Now, at least I know I can get my full workout in, if needed. At the Y, though, I'm in love with the assisted pull-up/dip machine, so I use that whenever I can.

Lydia227
07-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Lydia,

You rock, baby! 95 pounds - I am floored. Wait, I can actually scoop up and lift up my dog, who is 60 lbs, but I don't think that counts. :-)

Uhm. Thanks. :o The dog counts. It's moving and wiggling too I bet. :D

Bummer about the tshirt. Now I'm curious to see if it's in stock for my size too. They seem to sell out of the things I like by the time I decide to part with my money. I shouldn't deliberate so long about it. But I'm with you, the prices for some of this stuff is a little higher than I want to pay, then there's shipping and what if it doesn't fit just the way it should...:dizzy: I'd love to have one of these stores in Columbus.

Elisa: Great job with having such a good week. Mine was so so. Some weeks are just so much easier than others. :^: Exercise wise was fine. I don't think I missed a day.

Mel: I just love it how you never give up even with spectators. But you know, that's how people learn and become comfortable. They watch other people slip, fall and repeat until they finally make it work. Or else they just think, :chin: "Well, at least I'm not like that crazy person over there... :devil:

Pat: Thanks for the webcam post. So you had an animal parade at the library? Place is going to the dogs is it? Sorry couldn't help it. :D

Cheryl: I'm envious of your assisted dip machine. You are rather creative too. The pulldown improvisation is very crossfit like. :s: Did the kids freak as you began to dismantle their toys. ;) Good job finding a way to rotate you workouts. It is really tough and just like Elisa pointed out, there are just so many fun things to try to get in. I'm having a difficult time with the evening scheduling of the bike rides. I just don't have the energy either. I even skipped my am lifting for the Tuesday night ride. It rained anyway so like I said before I went to the gym to do the cardio. That's what sealed it for me, I didn't have much get up and go there either. Is it possible that our bodies "know" when it's time to exercise and tend to conserve during the other times?

Last night was my second yoga class. I :love: this class and the instructor is fantastic. I'm finding that it is a wonderful way to wind down the week. When I arrived home I felt so calm and just very well. :goodvibes: I also felt very cold. :shocksn: I brewed tea put on my winter jammies and grabbed a blanket. The calmness that I felt that evening was still with me when I woke and went through my day today.

I have to say that it is such a confidence booster to be able to enter a beginner's class in something and have the physical base to be able to experience the new moves without having to "build up to it gradually." We focused mostly on hamstrings. All those squats and deadlifts have given me a lot of flexibility there. Overall it was just an awesome experience and I credit all of it to my lifting. After pounding upon my body with the weights, occasional runs and cycling it just feels so good to do something slow, smooth, and very much in control. :sssh: I don't think I'm the only one either. This afternoon while I was on the mats I finished my core work with a vinyasa. I looked over at the other mat and noticed a young woman who also runs and lifts doing the same thing. We were doing downward dog at the same time and jumped up to our hands into position. Too funny. Oh yeah, and I learned the lion pose. She promised we would never have to do that again if we didn't want to. :rofl:

jamsk8r
07-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Lydia, the boy thought it was a cool contraption. Besides, the tire swing is set up to be removed easily for mowing. (and now, for lifting...heh-heh!)

Okay, time to drag my sorry butt to skating. See if I can make it the whole 4 hours this week!

Mel
07-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Legs and cardio done.

4 hours of skating :eek:???

Tomato
07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Cheryl,

Congrats on your "contraption". I think its one of my most favourite words in the English language. :-)
I spent 1.5 hrs at the gym this a.m. - 20 minutes on an elliptical crosstrainer and the rest on machines and with free weight. My hands are a bit shaky as I type. I realized I forgot to do dips on a bench (for my triceps) but I can easily use a chair for this (if I still have any strength left).
The dogs enjoyed a long walk at 6 am so I think we are all ready for a nap.
I still should get on the treadmill later on but I may have to turn the A/C on - very humid here today.

jamsk8r
07-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Mel, I'm sure you could skate for 4 hours straight...on one leg, with a barbell balanced overhead. ;) I did make it the whole 4 hours, and it was a good workout. Spent about 2 hours of it trying to work the kinks out of a few dance moves, then my friend K was trying to help me with my speed for the races. There are four of us adult females that go out for the session races, just for fun, and I'm just getting slower every year. I'd kinda like to at least have a chance to not be last all the time, plus it's something new to practice, which is always fun.

Speaking of new experiences, my ds and I went to the Y today, to see how it would be on a Saturday. I really expected more of a crowd, but today, at least, the weight room was nearly empty...me and the same 3 guys in there the whole time. Several firsts for me today: got to squat with an actual BB, instead of DBs, got to use the power cage and see how that works, and did my first bench press with a BB in about 22 years. I didn't make Lydia's numbers, but made it up to 90 lbs on the last set.

SusanB, I have new appreciation for your fixed-weight BB story. Today I was trying to put the 70 lb BB back on the top of the rack, could not get the friggin' thing cleaned to save my life, and ended up smashing my finger, the one that was finally healed up, and apparently ripped it open inside again....grrr. I'm putting more practice time into cleans, I can tell you that!

Tomorrow is a rest day, though in actuality it will be the shoulder workout: trimming the boxwood hedge over at my sister's place, and tree pruning. There's free food afterward, though! :preg:

Tomato
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Cheryl,

At my gym, Saturdays and Sundays are the best days to go because there a lot less people working out. Generally speaking, the busiest are Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (I am talking about evenings, i.e. between 6 and 8 pm). Thursdays are much better, Fridays even better than Thursdays and the weekends are best.

jamsk8r
07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Tomato! I always figured weekends would be busiest, with more folks off work/out of school. Shows what I know!

denvertechchick
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Went to see the midnight movie of Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Great movie for us cruiser chicks!

Cheryl, glad to see you are skating again! I hope your finger feels better soon!

Tomato, the Roar shirt is cool, but you should also ask if they still have the Horny Toad t-shirt! It says "hard body" and has a muscled lady symbol (as if the symbol on the restroom door struck a bicep pose). I don't know if they still have it, but it is super cool.

Pee Wee inspired me ("I'm so inspired, I think I'll start a paper route right now!") to take a very long tour of the central Denver parks and groovy shopping areas today, even though it was a blistering 95 degrees out there. Everybody loves the bike - people smile when they see it. It's so fun to cruise! Hands down the best cardio for me. The particular groovy shopping area I went to today is one of those places where it's very cool and hip but there is no parking to be found. Advantage = bicycle! The area has changed a lot since I've been there and I found a few new restaurants that I should try sometime soon. You really see a lot more from a bike than you do from a car.

Weekend food was badbadbad. But I did get a LOT of exercise in - 5 hours of gardening, push mowing, and raking on Saturday and then about 18 miles today on the (heavy!) bike. Looking forward to hitting the iron next week.

My gym is busy from 4:30 - 6:30 PM. If I avoid that time, I never have to wait for a machine. Weekends are slow, too, except yoga class is super packed and you have to get there at least 30 minutes ahead of time if you want to get all bendy. I sure could use a yoga class. Maybe I'll pencil one in this week!

Hope you all have a groovy Monday!

Mel
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Good morning:) It's a dreary, rainy Monday here. I just finished cardio, breakfast and a shower and am still so hot I can't put my clothes on.

I've only been to my gym at noon and Saturday mornings. It gets pretty crowded on Saturday mornings, so I'm just as happy to do mid-day workouts. I did a home leg workout on Saturday and was pleasantly sore- but not as bad as a gym workout. Then a real outside run- yeesh it was hot!

Cheryl-sounds like you are really back at it on the skating! Great job :)

Denver- Have fun biking!

Lydia- did you find a bike yet?

Have a good day!

Mel

sportmom
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi all, heading off to NYC this afternoon for work meetings this week. Listening to this excitement: while making my reservation on line, I found that I could book their fitness package for the same price as the standard room on the day that I booked, so I booked it. I'm on the same floor as the fitness center and will have "healthy snacks" in my room. How cool is that!?! I should have enough time to get some cardio done tonite and then may be able to do some lifting tomorrow nite and cardio again on Weds nite. My husband has warned me that the hotel gyms are crazy busy in the mornings, but if you can get in during the early evenings when everyone else is out on their dinner meetings, it's not too bad. Unfortunately, I will have to skip the group dinners to workout, otherwise I won't feel like doing it afterward. But quite honestly, after being with people in a room all day and being "on", I'm physically and mentally exhausted and need some down time anyway. Hope they'll understand! ;)

nelie
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
It really depends about hotel gyms. I've been to some hotel gyms while a conference is going on and sometimes they can be a bit busy but not too busy to at least find something to use and weights are generally available.

The last time I stayed at a hotel for work though, I went every morning to the gym and only saw 1 other person the entire time. It was a really nice gym too. They also had a pool.

Lydia227
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey everyone:wave:

:crazy: kind of day! I'm a week ahead of myself. Read: I still can't read my calendar! I've got a few camps and lessons lined up for the boys. I knew they were coming up. I glanced at the calendar while on the phone with a friend and suddenly realized the boys were scheduled to begin swimming lessons in half an hour. I quickly change from my gym clothes into proper pool mom clothes, rush the boys and head to the pool. We arrive and I'm confused because it didn't seem like a typical first day kind of thing. I found where my boys were supposed to be and sat down. After about fifteen minutes I realize that today is NOT the 21st of July. Yep, you guessed it. I WAS WRONG. I let them finish and then apologized to both of the instructors. They smiled and said, "It's fine, we'll see you next week right?" ~sigh~ Is is fall yet?

So, no workout today or yesterday and I'm seriously feeling stressed. It's beautiful here today so I will do some yardwork and catch up on things that just NEED to be DONE.

The silver lining here is that I've been worried about these swimming lessons taking two weeks away from my gym time. No more worries. The jr. high track is right next door. Yep, I'm going for a run next week. I'm also putting together a bodyweight workout for after the run.

Mel: No bike yet. Yesterday would have been a great day to do this but I slept all day instead. I was up until 3:00am Saturday night and just couldn't get my act together the rest of the day.

Hope everyone else is having better luck with their calendars today.

jamsk8r
07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey all. Thanks for the well wishes on the skating..I am certainly glad to be back at it!

No lifting for me today, just yoga. I did get my workout plan figured out through mid-October, so I'll be glad not to be fighting with that any more.

Now, if I could just figure out the calorie count that would help me burn more than a tenth of a pound a week, I'd be happy! I'm exaggerating a little, but it's been really slow, and I feel like my numbers just aren't right...possibly too low now, with being back to skating and also with adding in the yoga this coming week. I'm wondering if I should try maintenance cals for a week, then drop it down, but more to something like 1800, instead of the 1600 I've been doing for the last month and a half. I'd hoped that dropping from 18 to 16 would improve things, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Hard to tell, though, since part of that, I was off with injuries. :(

WaterRat
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
So Cheryl, I'm right there with you on the slow weight loss. I'm down 12 lbs, which sounds great, til you realize it's since last Sept! :) But I'm not up any - and my clothes fit better, and I just in better shape overall. Guess I'll keep on truckin' :rofl:

We had a lovely weekend at our State Square Dance Festival. We camped in the field next to the fair building it was held in so I had all my own food for meals. DH enjoyed all the cookies, etc. that were in the snack area - I went there only twice - for coffee and fruit. Lots of dancing, so cardio was the order of the weekend. Trying to find some gym time for this week. I'm going to have to start learning how to get up earlier. I absolutely need 8 hours of sleep though, and that means in bed by 10 or earlier. I don't always get home til after 9. Arghhhh. Somehow it'll get done.

sportmom
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Well, I lost a pound last week, so I'm no expert on the slow weight loss thing.

Reporting from NY where the fitness floor is GREAT! Tonite I enjoyed my free banana smoothie with my dinner - the perk for being on the fitness room plan here. They will also deliver stretchy cords, a ball, etc. to my room, but the gym was so beautiful I couldn't resist going there. Got my cardio in, plus some pilates moves on the ball and stretching. They must have had --- 20 treadmills, 10 bikes and 20 ellips along a rectangular perimter. Circuit machines down the center aisle and 2 stretching areas with balance balls on either end. SUPER! Would love to work out again in the morning but think doing 2 back to back and walking around a ton tomorrow might overdo it. Hopefully will get back to it tomorrow nite.

Lydia227
07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Fran: This sounds like a wonderful place to stay! Almost relaxing in between the craziness of meetings and dinners. What a great concept for business travelers.

No real weightloss here for the past two weeks. Mostly just maintaining but that's okay.

Pat: Great choices at the festival. Those kinds of events have so many tempting choices that I feel like I've strayed off my food plan just by smelling it all. :lol:

Cheryl: Good luck with alternating your caloric intake and finding a good fit. The down time probably did have an effect upon the amount of weightloss during that short term.

Glad to know that you have found a way to fit in all the activities you enjoy. A workout plan through October, that's impressive. How was the yoga class?

Tomato
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I feel like I have been slacking this past week, I haven't been in the gym since last Saturday until tonight (I do keep my cardio every other day though). This hot and humid weather saps out all my energy and is very de-motivating. I have A/C but I really don't like it (it's just the lesser of the two evils) - I prefer not too hot weather when the windows can be open all day and and fresh air can ge t in. I really really had to push myself to go to the gym tonight but once I was there it was ok although I think I stayed only 45 minutes or so.
I'll try to do better on Saturday. Vent over, thanks for listening.

jamsk8r
07-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey Tomato, new chat thread is up. These ladies put up a new one every 2 weeks, so it doesn't get too long. Look for the one that says July 15-31. Don't feel bad, either. I almost posted to this one myself, yesterday. Lucky for me, it didn't work! :hug: