Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #16  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Ooh, Hat Trick, that is awful! I'm glad your hives are clearing up, but I'm sure it hasn't been fun waiting for them to go away. I get itchy whenever I pull any of the English Ivy out of my yard (there's tons of it, it's a constant battle) but so far no hives, knock on wood. I was joking about that this weekend while doing yard work, though; I don't think I'll make jokes about it anymore!

Feel better.
Hey, thanks! I feel tons better today. All hail the pharmaceutical gods for the wonder drug of prednisone!! Wow, this stuff does a great job. The itchy hivey things are quite, quite faded and quite, quite dry. Still some swelling in my face but way, way, way down. The only negative is that prednisone can cause wt. gain and the scale was up like 4 lbs today. Not panicked as I have NOT been drinking water much at all the past three or four days and eating has been very odd. Not much appetite till this morning, but of course that didn't stop me from eating graduation cake (oh, the best bakery cake of all butter lb. cake and icing. We had it for our wedding cake 21 yrs. ago and it's still the best thing I've ever had from a bakery. My thought process was -- it will likely be three or four years b/4 I have it again so yes, I ate my fair share of it). However, I was way low on 'normal' food and cannot fathom that I ate so many cals. as to gain 4 lbs in 3 days so I am presuming when I am off the drugs the wt will drop fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
HAT TRICK ~Glad the graduation party went well in spite of all the itching ...WAIT! I take that back for now...is it contagious?....the itching? If not...keep the
No worries Gar -- not contagious in the least. The doc even felt my face to feel how hot it was and I was like 'wow, you are one brave soul -- how do you know I'm not contagious?' He said no, it's an allergic reaction nothing to worry about. I've never, ever, ever had something quite like this. Have been to the doc b/4 for posion ivy that was bad but this? WOW, I am going to be way, way more cautious from now on. Maybe just watering flowers in a pot might suite me better!

Even though the scale has done a weird upswing I don't feel any need to freak out about it. And surprisingly today, I did my TM workout AND my wt. workout. Pretty stingy where I um, scratched and scratched but a great workout just the same.

Am completely back 'in the swing' of things today. Am back to my cal. counting and the whole bit.

Thistoo -- you are doing great w/your 'magic pill' loss!! One more lb -- you will get there -- no doubt about it!

Gar -- good dinner choices. How's the 'beer' going? I was planning on having a Corona or two at the grad party but alas, it just wasn't meant to be. 'Mindfully drinking' applies here, just like 'mindfully eating'. It works if you consciously pay attention to it. Unfortunatley, after a few brewskies it gets harder and harder to pay attention, doesn't it? Keep on tryin' though!

Have a good one all!!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 07-02-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #17  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Okay, I am so glad I popped in here this morning. You guys are just what I needed. As I was reading the latest post Gary gave a shout out to me and my OPness. Thanks for that Gary, because I really needed to hear that I have been OP. Now, inspite of that, I have gained 3 pounds. Why you ask? Don't I wish I knew. I have the wierdest body in the world. It just doesn't do what I expect it to do. This really is the hardest thing I've ever done.

So Now you know why I've been absent: In a HUGE funk!! But coming here today is helping me get my head back on straight and back into the battle. I will beat this thing, even if takes me a long time.

So Gary the DIP got ya. Sorry to hear that, but it's gone now so time to march forward. There is a choc. chip birthday cookie in my fridge right now calling my name. I was supposed to take it to my daughter this weekend and forgot it. I have had 2 small pieces but counted them in my calories. It's got to go though.

Hat- Sorry to hear about your reaction. Not fun. That happened to my son once with poison ivy. His whole face swelled up and his eyes swelled shut. Nasty. And I just came in from weed whacking. I better be careful. Glad you are feeling better.

Thistoo- Almost there. Hang on tight. I'm like the cat with it's claws stuck in the end of the rope. We've gotta be tough.

Gary- How is the Coke O? Probably not as good as beer and dip. But necessary. I am learning moderation. Tough lesson. I will have a bite of something to satisfy the craving and then it's got to go. Like that choc. chip cookie demon in the fridge.

Well sitting here in front of this computer is not getting my butt in motion. So I better go do some yard work or something. I'll be on the lookout for reaction causing plants.

Thanks again for the pick me up.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #18  
No surrender, no retreat

Just looked up the side effects of prednisone and had to post this.

'changes in the way fat is spread around the body'

Hmmm, any chance that it will be a good improvement??

Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #19  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Hi all - just a quick fly-by. I'm expecting a short-term loss. Doing a fast for some medical tests. Maybe I can drop a lb. AND keep it off if I stay POP through the holiday weekend. Something to strive for anyway. Hope you all have a WONDERFUL and POP holiday weekend. I'm heading for the farmer's market on Friday morning to stock up on veggies to grill. And for the first time in FOREVER, I'm not making potato salad for the 4th. Feels kinda weird - but I think some new (healthy) traditions are in order.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #20  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Gary, Cody would love it if I brought him two more dogs to play with, but I'm pretty sure my sister wouldn't be so happy about all the dog hair in her house. .....
Every week I gather up enough here between the vacuum and sweeping to make wigs for all the men in Leisure World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post

Gar -- ..... Unfortunatley, after a few brewskies it gets harder and harder to pay attention, doesn't it? .....
I don't remember......Glad the scratch is itched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
So Gary the DIP got ya. .....Just like PIZZA!

Gary- How is the Coke O? Probably not as good as beer and dip. But necessary. I am learning moderation. Tough lesson. I will have a bite of something to satisfy the craving and then it's got to go. Like that choc. chip cookie demon in the fridge.......
Coke 0 is not half bad...for me Pepsi is too sweet and Cke is too strong...I was a Dr. Pepper guy...now, if I drink soda (before this no..or not too many beers diet) I usually drink root beer....I love root beer! I buy many flavors of it...but haven't found a diet one that I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
..... And for the first time in FOREVER, I'm not making potato salad for the 4th. Feels kinda weird - but I think some new (healthy) traditions are in order.
You are starting to sound like my wife SCOOTER....just about a half hour ago it was "What do you mean NO POTATO or MACARONI salad? She just said..."there will be plenty of fruit salad and Brenda...(my ex)...is bringing 2 veggie salads"

Well I weighed in this morning at 176.4 this morning...another pound down. However we had homemade pizza tonight and I am afraid I put it all back on...dang! But 0 beers after work...2 waters and 2 diet Pepsi's...can't wait until I get more Coke 0!...Have a great THURSDAY everyone!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #21  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Gary - don't get discouraged if the weight is up a bit tomorrow. Mine ALWAYS goes up after pizza.
GREAT job on the beverages today
I'm proud of you.

And - I am thrilled that I am starting to sound like Angie - means this plan is working
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #22  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Gary - don't get discouraged if the weight is up a bit tomorrow. Mine ALWAYS goes up after pizza.
GREAT job on the beverages today
I'm proud of you.

And - I am thrilled that I am starting to sound like Angie - means this plan is working
Thanks SCOOTER MaMa!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #23  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

The weigh in this morning wasn't too bad ...I was up .2 after all that pizza. Angie is out with my niece tonight so I made my own burritos ~ hamburger ~ refried beans ~ cheese and onion...had too many!

Oh well...at least I did 3.25 miles on the treadmill and 0 beers so far tonight...water and the Coke 0 I found hidden behind some Pepsi's! OLE ~ OLE ~ OLE........

SCORE!!!

Hope I do good tomorrow for the BBQ and shuffleboard tourney....not that strong

HAPPY 4th of July!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #24  
mtiger

Wink

I just finished my first 5k of the weekend. It was nothing to write home about as far as time, but I was moving. Walked the whole thing. Next time I will go for some speed with jogging involved. I'll have to find the results thread and post there. My scale is still being a poop. Stayed the same today in spite of being on plan and working out. Tom. is weigh-in. Do I even bother?

Hope everyone has a good 4th. Don't eat too much ya'll.

Last edited by mtiger; 07-03-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #25  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

At least that scale didn't go up now did it MINDY?...wink...just think...it may even go down after that next 5K in spite of this guy TOM....wink
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #26  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Mindy, I sometimes don't bother during TOM. But I find that the longer I stick with this, the less water retention I have, so now I do get on the scale just to see. I've gotten very philosophical about the scale over the past two years.

Happy 4th to all the Americans in our group, and TGIF to everyone else! Hope you're all gearing up for a great weekend. I weighed in at 190.2 this morning, so I'm reallyreally close to my second five pounds lost. There will be beers today, I think, so I'm not counting on getting into the 80s tomorrow, but hopefully by next week's 'official' weigh-in.

Today my plan is to avoid carbs as much as possible! For breakfast I had a wonderful egg and sweet potato breakfast burrito in a low carb tortilla (homemade), so there's the bulk of my carbs for the day. Since I'm insulin resistant I have to taper down the carbs for the remainder of the day until I end at dinner with only protein and fiber. It's exhausting thinking about what you're eating all the time, isn't it? But it's worth it if the scale keeps cooperating.

So I'll be sticking with a bunless burger and fruit at the barbecue today, along with a beer or two. I might try one of the deviled eggs I made for the party. They're not low-cal, but they are low carb, so it sort of fits with my diet plan. They're bacon and cheddar deviled eggs and they are really good.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #27  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

CAROLINE....gimme those eggs! NOW!!

Weighed in at 178.6 this morning...holding steady in that area this week...had hoped for better results since only 1 beer all week and about 15 miles or so in since Sunday...oh well it is a pound down!

Which gets me worried about today/night....

Angie and I did our 5K so that will take care on 1 beer...

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #28  
mtiger

Wink

Gary/Angie- This question is really for Angie. I am also a teacher so I have summers off. I am starting to believe that my trouble with losing any weight lately has to do with the fact that I don't go to work all day. I am at home, more sedentary, even though I am eating the same and working out the same. What do you think? And what does anybody think I can do about it? I can't just leave the house and wander around all day. Any suggestions.

By the way, the scale went up today. 2 weeks ago I lost 3.2 and since then I have gained 4. Being home all day is the only thing I can think of that's different. Help!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #29  
No surrender, no retreat

mtiger -- I'm a SAHM (I work part-time but it's been sloooow this past nearly year) and I find the same thing happens to me in the summer. I think the complete 'lack of routine' throws me off. Some things I try to do to keep on track:

1. Don't sleep in really late. Once in awhile I'll sleep till 9:00 or 9:30 but usually I'm up around 7:00-7:30, b/4 the kids. I can drink my coffee and get changed and start in on exercise b/4 they've descended upon me.

2. Stick to some kind of routine - whether it's cleaning every Monday or grocery shopping every Thursday, etc. It helps knowing 'xx has to be done today'

3. Take the kids out of the house. We joined a pool ($200 for the whole summer) about 10 mins from us. I make it a point to take the kids and sometimes some of their friends over a few times per week. I am NOT a water person AT ALL but the kids like it when I go in. Sooo (reluctantly ) I go in, w/a noodle floating around, and constantly move my legs and paddling around. I figure at least I'm moving.

4. Hang your clothes outside. Yes, it's more work but several loads per week means just moving about more.

5. Clean out something. This is a great time for cleaning out garages and attics and basements. Gather up stuff for GoodWill or Purple Heart.

6. Clean your house more. I actually find if I can get the house down to a dull roar, it's easier to just keep it up rather than letting it all go downhill.

7. Weed. lol, not the most glamorous job but it takes time and burns cals.

8. Sometimes, like today, I just go to the mall or where ever just to get out of the house and move. My son happens to need new sneakers so thats good enough for me.

Just thought I'd throw out some suggestions that might help.

Well, got on the scale today and all but 1 lb. of that fluid from my allergic reaction is gone. Yeah!! Took the last prednisone today and am trying to see if I can get down to 150 by next Sat. We're then going on vacation so I'm looking to hold at 152 by the time we come back. Once we're back I'll have about 5 weeks b/4 the kids go back to school so I'm going to really kick it into high gear to get comfortably into the 140's. Hope everyone is doing well. Seems like alot of folks are busy or away; it's been pretty quiet around here lately. Cheers!!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #30  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I'm having some gain. I'm trying not to be disheartened, it may just be fluctuation and quite often I'll get down on myself and the next day my weight is back down. Holding in there - Giving in won't help.

Hope everybody else is going strong.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote