Veggie Challenged - Alright, I'm really doing it...

View Full Version : Alright, I'm really doing it...

jillybean720
06-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Anyone who's ever read a post of mine over the years likely knows I hate veggies. Not for lack of trying, though!

Anyway, my newest attempts have been purchased. I found a recipe for turnip fries (french fries from turnips instead of potatoes), and I bout a regular eggplant and a baby eggplant. Of course, the cute little baby one was much more expensive :p

I think I'm going to try to make an eggplant lasagna using the eggplant strips intead of noodles. I've found lots of recipes for this, and lots of suggestions for really making the eggplant just right (including soaking the strips of eggplant in salt water for about 20 minutes--supposedly, this reduces the bitter taste).

Now, according to the sign at the store, the baby eggplant doesn't have the same bitterness as the regular one, so I'm going to try a recipes mentioned on here (I believe from mandalinn) for cubed eggplant in tomato sauce with the baby one.

I'm excited to try the turnip fries, too. I haven't had french fries in months, so a substitute is very welcomed, plus, having not had them for so long, hopefully I won't notice much of a difference from the real thing!

Wish me luck in my new veggie ventures :p

jillybean720
06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
OH, and I also FINALLY found some tofu shiritake noodles to try this week--I know it's not a veggies, but still something I've been wanting to try, so I'm excited. Lots of new things this week!

brownsugah
06-30-2008, 08:35 AM
That's so cool that you're opening up your palate! Hopefully you enjoy all your new dishes. I just made and ate my first artichoke yesterday- I mean, I'd had them before but only presliced hearts in salad. I had never gone through the process of cooking and eating the "petals". It was pretty good!
Here's to our adventurous endeavors in the food world! :)

junebug41
06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Good luck with the new veggies! And don't forget to rinse the noddles REALLY well! How are you going to make them?

jillybean720
06-30-2008, 10:34 AM
And don't forget to rinse the noddles REALLY well! How you going to make them?
I've heard that before, that rinsing them VERY thouroughly is really key. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet...maybe have them with the eggplant and tomato sauce?

SoulBliss
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet...maybe have them with the eggplant and tomato sauce?

I would suggest *not* doing that. I would suggest eating the new food (eggplant) with something you already know you like (regular pasta of your choice) to give each new food a fighting chance on their own. :)

My suggestion for the sauce would be to puree it also, unless you are going to bake the HECK out of it. The texture may be more to your liking that way.

Best of luck! :carrot:

yoyonomoreinvegas
06-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to wish you good luck and let you know it can be done. I haven't gotten too adventerous just yet but I've discovered a lot of things I thought I didn't like are now some of my faves after only 6 months of "eating clean". For example - in January you couldn't have paid me to eat a beet but this weekend I was visiting SIL who made a yummy beet and fresh spinach salad. Guess who couldn't get enough and scarfed up the leftovers for lunch the next day? :D

rockinrobin
06-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh Jilly! I'm pulling for you.

And wanted to share, what I think, is a veggie recipe that anyone (all right, almost any one) would go crazy for. In fact, I serve it to company all the time and everybody has LOVED it. Even die hard veggie haters. Ohhh and kids.

It's my own made up recipe, taken from a few different ones, so I don't have exact amounts.

-I cut up a large butternut squash into chunks. Place them in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
-I pour fat free/ sugar free Maple syrup over it and some cinnamon. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 400 degrees til ALMOST tender, about 45 mins, maybe a little longer.
-I cut up 2 - 3 large apples, leaving them in smallish chunks. Mix it in a bowl with a little more syrup, lots of cinnamon, a handful of raisins and a handful of chopped walnuts. I add this to the butternut squash pan. Cover it and cook for about 20 minutes or so, til the apples are cooked.

PLEASE try it. I KNOW you're going to love it.

walking2lose
06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Jill - I know people seem to either love or hate the shiratake noodles - I personally am a huge fan. I love them with an asian peanut sauce (got recipe from Nelie who uses it on sliced cukes, I believe). But another yummy version is Hungry Girl's recipe for shiratake Alfredo - made with laughing cow cheese. Easy, low cal, healthy - recipe is on hungrygirl.com

Good luck!

nelie
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Jilly,

Good luck. I will have to say though that I am not a fan of american eggplant. I hope you do like it but if not, I'd hope you try some asian varieties, specifically the long slender chinese/japanese. If you have an asian market, you will often find those there. Also, I love the asian greens, much more than the standard greens found in regular supermarkets, so I recommend those as well.

junebug41
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Jill - I know people seem to either love or hate the shiratake noodles - I personally am a huge fan. I love them with an asian peanut sauce (got recipe from Nelie who uses it on sliced cukes, I believe). But another yummy version is Hungry Girl's recipe for shiratake Alfredo - made with laughing cow cheese. Easy, low cal, healthy - recipe is on hungrygirl.com

Good luck!

Those sound delicious! I always thought that people got turned off by shiratake noodles because they treated them as regular pasta, when they should be treated as asian noodles. I like mine marinated in a teriyake sauce and cooked with stirfry veggies (edemame beans, mushrooms, carrots, etc...)

jillybean720
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the recipe, Robin. I really can't stand butternut squash, but I would still have tried your recipe if not for the fruit (I'm keeping my carbs as low as humanly possible thanks to my recent type 2 diabetes diagnosis).

So, the tofu shiritake noodles with pasta sauce, not so much? I LOVE Asian sauces and such, but I have high blood pressure, and they are typically insanely high in sodium (even the lower sodium soy sauce is crazy high in sodium for a tiny amount). I did buy a bottled teriyaki sauce by Mrs. Dash that has no salt, but it DOES have sugar (worse, actually--HFCS). I just can't win :dizzy:

nelie, I'm not sure I'm ready to add another store to my weekly grocery shopping :p Why can't one store just carry EVERYTHING? I have to go to Giant because they carry the Boar's Head (lower sodium) sandwich meats and cheese, I go to Bloom because their 99% fat free chicken breast tenders are vastly less expensive than other stores, I go to Wegman's for the only HFCS-free barbecue sauce I've been able to find that actually TASTES like bbq sauce...but I may have to try an Asian market anyway, if I can find one (I'm sure there's one around somewhere, just have to look it up).

walking2lose
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Jill - below is the peanut sauce (it's taken verbatim from a post of Nelie's a couple months ago- I copied and pasted into my recipe file). I have made it several times and LOVE it with the shiratake noodles. I hear you on the sodium, and it also has carbs (I believe you are on SB?). I'm just posting it in case anyone else wants it.

Maybe you would like the Alfredo (laughing cow) sauce?

And Robin, I've been meaning to try your squash recipe for ages... it sounds delicious!

About the No-Cook Asian Peanut Sauce
Here's a quick, easy sauce for whole-wheat noodles, cut-up vegetables, steamed tofu or even iceberg lettuce wedges. Or try it our favorite way: peel cucumbers, then shred them into long strips with a vegetable peeler for cucumber noodles.

No-Cook Asian Peanut Sauce
Makes 6 servings
POINTS® value | 2 per serving
Ingredients

* 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter*
* 3 Tbsp reduced-sodium vegetable broth
* 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
* 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
* 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
* 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tsp hot red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco sauce
* 1/2 tsp sugar

Instructions

* Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth and creamy. To store, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk before using again.

Serving size: 2 tablespoons

jillybean720
06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Jill - below is the peanut sauce (it's taken verbatim from a post of Nelie's a couple months ago- I copied and pasted into my recipe file). I have made it several times and LOVE it with the shiratake noodles. I hear you on the sodium, and it also has carbs (I believe you are on SB?). I'm just posting it in case anyone else wants it.
Looks like I could easily use erythritol or stevia in place of the sugar, and only 1 T soy sauce in the entire recipe probably won't kill me (plus, I could probably cut it down a little and add a little salt substitute). It sounds good!

Have you ever checked the sodium on those little stinkin' Laughing Cow wedges? :dizzy: Though I may have to try it anyway--sometimes I can keep my sodium super low during the day so I can have something different for dinner.

I tell ya, watching the sodium AND the carbs AND the saturated fat...gets a little hairy at times!

walking2lose
06-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I just ate a laughing cow about an hour ago - are they pretty high?? My BP is always good (on the low side), so I am not very conscientious about sodium. However, I recently took a look at my daily sodium intake on dailyplate, and it's pretty darned high (3,000 and higher!!!). So, maybe I ought to watch it more than I do!

You'll have to let us know how you like the noodles (and how you end up fixing them). I personally breathe through my mouth only when I cut them open (over a colander), rinse well, and then dump them into a pan of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. After that - no funny taste or smell!!

kittycat40
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
How did your turnip strips come out? I made them a few months ago and we liked them. Don't know why I haven't made them again... but you've inspired me!

rockinrobin
07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Robin. I really can't stand butternut squash, but I would still have tried your recipe if not for the fruit (I'm keeping my carbs as low as humanly possible thanks to my recent type 2 diabetes diagnosis).

EVEN butternut squash haters LOVE this recipe. Really. But I suppose it's moot if apples are out of the question at this time. Although you most certainly CAN make it without the apples and raisins. 100% so.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wasn't aware of it. I'm sure you know that type 2 diabetes is completely controllable and even reversible with proper diet and weight management. I've ALWAYS been pulling for you Jilly, now even more so. You can do this girl. I know it for sure. :hug:

And as far as shopping in many different stores, like you were discussing with Nelie. You might want to reconsider that somewhere down the road. I shop in a multitude of stores. This lifestyle is much easier to tolerate when you've got the right "supplies" on hand. And if it means going to different stores to do so......

jillybean720
07-01-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wasn't aware of it. I'm sure you know that type 2 diabetes is completely controllable and even reversible with proper diet and weight management. I've ALWAYS been pulling for you Jilly, now even more so. You can do this girl. I know it for sure. :hug:
Thanks, Robin :hug: I know it's controllable, and I've been doing LOTS of reading about it. I've formed my own conclusions/opinions/theories/plans that many don't agree with, but for me, my plan of attack is a very low carb plan. My carbs come from veggies, beans, nuts, and a little fruit here and there. I basically skip whole grains completely--I haven't had any sort of bread products/rice/noodles in probably over a month (diagnosis came about 6 weeks ago). I got over my pity party stage (happened at first when I cried a lot and couldn't stop thinking about how I'm only 25 and am falling apart and can never eat like a "normal" person again :blah: ) and have moved on the the I-can-beat-this stage :D Hence my newfound veggie enthusiasm :p
And as far as shopping in many different stores, like you were discussing with Nelie. You might want to reconsider that somewhere down the road. I shop in a multitude of stores. This lifestyle is much easier to tolerate when you've got the right "supplies" on hand. And if it means going to different stores to do so......
Like I said, I already hit at least 3 stores a week. Sometimes, I also hit up Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. I just don't know where people get the time to go to so many stores every week! :dizzy: I work at least 9 hours a day with about a 45-60 minute commute each way in the morning and evening. If I need TJ's or WF, I go during my lunch because they are near my office, not near my house. I am in bed by 10pm to get up at 5am. I don't know how some people do all this with kids--I have a hard enough time with 2 puppies :p I'll get the hang of it all eventualy :cool:

nelie
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Butternut squash in general is awesome. I don't like baked apples or sweet squash myself but roasted butternut squash is awesome and so is soup (if it wasn't so darn hot).

I know it can be a pain to run between grocery stores but asian markets are fairly inexpensive and have tons of good stuff. Lotte and Grand Mart are the big ones around here. I could do almost all my grocery shopping just there.

I also find it painful to step into Giant, it is too expensive for me. Its a pain considering they are all over the place here.

jillybean720
07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I also find it painful to step into Giant, it is too expensive for me. Its a pain considering they are all over the place here.
That's so funny--I go there because my total bill is usually lower! :dizzy: I went into a Harris Teeter once, and about halfway through, I just left my half-full cart in the middle of the store and walked out. The prices were atrocious! And yet, I have a friend at work who shops ONLY at Harris Teeter because she says it's cheaper for them :dizzy:

walking2lose
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Nelie and Jill - my two main sources of food shopping are Wal-Mart and Trader Joe's. As much as I hate Wal-Mart, we have one less than 5 minutes away, and they have the cheapest prices for me. I also find that even milk, eggs, and the like at TJs are very reasonable - I go there maybe 3 times per month.

Do either of you have Food Lion? It's a Virginia store, but I think there are some in Maryland too. Very reasonable. Harris Teeter, Farm Fresh, Ukrops -- those are the outrageously priced markets around here. If you want a box of cereal for $5.00, they have it!

nelie
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Food lion turned into Bloom which does have decent prices. Our walmart only carries canned/prepared stuff and really does nothing for me other than an occasional can of beans. I love Trader Joe's but find it easier to shop other places that have more stuff plus their produce section sucks. Whole Foods also can beat Trader Joes on prices for some stuff, usually their store brand is very reasonably priced and their sales are awesome. I rarely buy produce there unless they have something good on sale.

We don't have Harris Teeter around here that I know of but I saw the grocery store from the outside while in Virginia and said to myself it must be expensive. I do most of my shopping at Costco and the asian market. Occassionally Safeway, Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I also started to get my veggies from a CSA for the summer so my shopping needs have diminished somewhat.

Its also sad but some of my grocery shopping is done on amazon.com. There are staples where I can buy 6 of whatever and get a good price. Some stuff is the same price as in the store but some stuff is a lot cheaper or stuff I can't find elsewhere. I'm addicted to freeze dried refried beans which I've only seen on amazon.

jillybean720
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Our walmart only carries canned/prepared stuff and really does nothing for me other than an occasional can of beans.
Ditto on that. When I lived with my sister, we had a Super Walmart nearby, and their prices really were better, and it was a full grocery store. Around here, there's not a Super Walmart anywhere nearby (I know--I've checked their website specifically searching for one!).

BIG B00TY
07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi.. I eat Healthy fries now and then, i just use 1 potato and some olive oil and i throw em in the convection oven.. they r great really

Potatoes r good for us as long as we don't eat more than one and not every day of course :)

rockinrobin
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Robin :hug: I know it's controllable, and I've been doing LOTS of reading about it. I've formed my own conclusions/opinions/theories/plans that many don't agree with, but for me, my plan of attack is a very low carb plan. My carbs come from veggies, beans, nuts, and a little fruit here and there. I basically skip whole grains completely--I haven't had any sort of bread products/rice/noodles in probably over a month (diagnosis came about 6 weeks ago). I got over my pity party stage (happened at first when I cried a lot and couldn't stop thinking about how I'm only 25 and am falling apart and can never eat like a "normal" person again :blah: ) and have moved on the the I-can-beat-this stage :D Hence my newfound veggie enthusiasm :p

Like I said, I already hit at least 3 stores a week. Sometimes, I also hit up Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. I just don't know where people get the time to go to so many stores every week! :dizzy: I work at least 9 hours a day with about a 45-60 minute commute each way in the morning and evening. If I need TJ's or WF, I go during my lunch because they are near my office, not near my house. I am in bed by 10pm to get up at 5am. I don't know how some people do all this with kids--I have a hard enough time with 2 puppies :p I'll get the hang of it all eventualy :cool:

Oh yeah Jill, this lifestyle is DEFINTELY time consuming. Managing ones weight, keeping healthy, is like a full time job. Really. I think it was Meg or Mel who pointed that out to me. Granted there's no paycheck at the end of the week, but the rewards are truly priceless. And I know you will be finding that out very shortly.

I think you had a very normal first reaction - pity party. And then - you moved on and started to take some ACTION!! Atta girl. You CAN lick this. Absolutely. You're too smart to do anything BUT beat this. So beat this - you will.

If for right now you are okay with not going to that extra store, then so be it. Somewhere down the road, you may change your mind.

WaterRat
07-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the good ideas! I love butternut squash, and I'll try Robin's recipe. And the Asian sauce - yum!

I have exactly 3 choices of grocery stores here in rural Alaska - Super Wal-Mart, Safeway, and a Kroger-subsidiary called Fred Meyer. If I go to Anchorage (a 50 mile one-way trip) I can go to an Asian market, plus a non-chain place called Natural Pantry which is vaguely like a TJ's or WF mixed together. :) I still go to TJ's when I'm traveling near one. I lived in Seattle for 8 months in 2000, and got really spoiled with the grocery choices.

Jill - one of my employees was diagnosed withe Type II Diabetes about a year ago. She was told 33g of carbs per meal max. It certainly is hard to watch carbs/sugars and fats! Good luck.

WebRover
07-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Anyway, my newest attempts have been purchased. I found a recipe for turnip fries (french fries from turnips instead of potatoes), and I bout a regular eggplant and a baby eggplant. Of course, the cute little baby one was much more expensive

I think I'm going to try to make an eggplant lasagna using the eggplant strips intead of noodles.
[COLOR=indigo]Wish me luck in my new veggie ventures :p

Jilly - wishing you luck trying the new veggies and with your health care management.

Have you tried the turnip fries? How did they turn out for you?
How about the eggplant lasagna?

I'm curious about the turnip fries as I would think turnips would be a tough vegetable to like if you don't like most vegetables. That said, I don't intend to discourage you as I think it's awesomely adventurous of you to keep trying vegetables.

There is a salad listed on the South Beach forum with a dressing very similar to the Asian Peanut Sauce listed above. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65356 I have made it twice with plain chopped cabbage. I mention it because the dressing doesn't call for the sugar. Also the first time I made it I didn't realize shoyu sauce was a kind of soy sauce, so I just left it out. The flavor was pretty much the same. That gives you a tasty sauce without the sodium and sugar.

jillybean720
07-06-2008, 07:30 AM
I did try the turnip fries--and I burned them :p But the couple that were salvagable were good enough that I will try them again :)

I went to slice up my eggplant last week for the lasagna--had eggplant in one hand, knife in the other--when I stopped and looked in the fridge. No mozzarella cheese. Whoops! I will try it after a trip to the store for cheese :dizzy:

yoyoma
07-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Jill,

If you are ever near an Asian market, consider trying lotus root. You could find it fresh, frozen, canned or dried. I'd recommend frozen as it's easiest to prepare and tastes as good as fresh.

It has a very mild nutty flavor and a great texture. I generally cook it in a stir fry. Of all the veggies I know and love, I think it is the most likely to find approval with someone veggie-challenged.

Good luck!

jillybean720
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Just a little update--I used the tofu shiritake noodles tonight, and I liked them! I rinsed and drained them very thoroughly, then microwaved them and dried them between paper towels. Then I tossed them in a wok on the stove with broccoli florets, cut up chicken breast, and the peanut sauce recipe mentioned earlier in this thread (well, sort of a hybrid of that one and the one in the link posted by WebRover, based on the ingredients I had on hand). It was very good, and I got 4 servings out of it--one each for me and Jeff for dinner, and enough left over for 2 lunches for me :)

walking2lose
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Jill - that is so awesome! I have been craving shiratake noodles lately. I have to druve about 30 minutes to get them. Your preparation sounds delicious.

BTW, I just noticed you have lost 31 lbs... congrats!!

walking2lose
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Did I really write "druve"???? :dizzy:

WebRover
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
That's great. One more for your list of new foods.