Alternachicks - So what is an alternachick?

View Full Version : So what is an alternachick?

Fat Melanie
06-30-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm bored, have insomnia, have always wondered, so thought I would ask.

Is it like girls who are into heavy metal and hard rock, because I am, or does it mean girls who are into that kinda music and dress gothically? I don't dress gothically but when I was in school there were some elements to my dress. I was too scared to go full goth but I enjoyed putting on black nailpolish every once in awhile, once I dyed my hair so dark it looked black so I wore bright red lipstick with my really pale skin and black nail polishes.. I guess I was a bit of a poser but I am a loyal metal/hardrock/alternative fan. And if you chicks are Goth/punk girls, I just love the way you guys dress. Hot Topic has some of the coolest stuff (oh, my, god, I sound like a teenager.)

....But if that's not what is meant by alternachick, I'm completely sorry for butting in the forum. :)

Just wondering, I'm curious. :D

Hope1974
06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome!

havoc
07-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Just my two cents: I thought it was just a great term for those of us who just don't feel like we "fit in" with the "norm".

I was HEAVY into New Wave in high school, and later got into industrial/goth. Both music scenes were a bit avant garde for their times, and my life evolved around the scenes. I didn't really relate to people that were into sports or movies or such. But for what it's worth, I still don't.

I haven't been part of any "scene" for years now. My life looks more akin to that of a soccer mom than a goth chick, but I still don't feel like I fit in with the soccer mom types. I grew up, but my tastes didn't.

Fat Melanie
07-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Hi you guys. I don't fit in with the soccer mom types either. I am a new mom, but I'm the mom that blasts rock n' roll. I'm not like anyone else, I'm just me. I have a different mentality and different tastes in music than people would expect, and I can be as gross as a dude... I've always been like a closet goth chick, in a way. I did the things in high school like streak my hair with punk red, dye it completely smurf blue, and then black... anything that was different from the rest. In a small county where I live, it wasn't typical for people to do that though for the rest of society, it's not very shocking or anything now, cause so many kids have done it. Nowadays I favor my hair the natural blonde shade that it is, and I'll rock the color pink every once in awhile, but I still think in an alternative sort of way, always will. And I love when I see those brave kids all decked out in goth gear. It's nothing I ever did, but I find it so unique.

I guess I was correct about what an alternachick was. :D

LakeEffectKid
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Just my two cents: I thought it was just a great term for those of us who just don't feel like we "fit in" with the "norm".
[...] I grew up, but my tastes didn't.

I was hoping for just this!! I tend to be perpetually in between the 'cliques', so I am super happy this board is here! <3

Yay!

trishpix
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
wow...this is pretty cool! I am 44, single mom, sing in a band, play guitar and would love to have a nose ring if I didn't think my son (15) would die of embarrassment.

I have always had a difficult time fitting in...I often "fake it" with women I meet because they rarely get me. I am often bored by their conversations (not that I think I am more interesting...just different)

I am finally realizing that I am different, and that's alright. I am an graphic artist, and most of my friends are guys...it makes me a little lonely not to have many gal pals.

so...good to know you're out there.

jandaman
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
yep..i agree..we are in-betweeny, nonconformist, individualist, unique, rockin', effin' smart, creative, "different", funny, and the list goes on and on and on............

twilit tera
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
"Alternachicks" definitely come in all shapes and colors!

I've shopped at Hot Topic and enjoyed a night at The Church (our local goth club), but I wouldn't consider myself goth. I have the Rocky Horror Picture Show completely memorized, but you would too after seeing it around 30 times. My spirituality is based on my observations of nature and understanding of science, but I don't consider myself a Pagan. I love computers and RPGs, but don't speak "geek" quite like I used to.

I'm into 70's folk and rock, 80's new wave, 90's alternative... I admire the punked out look but don't have the guts to try it. (It would be a real Career Limiting Move in my case.)

Thanks for starting this thread, Melanie!

Tera

Stephanie Brim
09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm an alternachick on the inside, but on the outside I look soccer-momish. Well, most of the time. When the baby isn't in the car and me and DBF are blasting the Korn and Tool it's a little more obvious. I started listening to Tool before they ever became really popular.

I'm a video game fanatic and have been for a long time, way before it was cool for girls to be into them. I've gotten some weird looks from people even now. Depends on where the game store is. I used to read Anne Rice religiously, but since the Life of Christ books came out I've stayed away. That's a little too weird for me. Anita Blake is my hero. I love cartoons, especially comic book related ones. My favorite right now would have to be Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love anime as well. Trying to get the boyfriend to watch Blood+ with me, but we need to find somewhere that has the first DVD. I'm not a Christian nor do I want to be. I'm not really anything other than me. I would probably describe myself as pagan.

Stephanie Brim
09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
...I love computers and RPGs, but don't speak "geek" quite like I used to...

Haha, RPGs. I'm going to cry.

I traded in to Gamestop a crap ton of them last night including most of the Shin Megami Tensei PS2 games. The darkest, most interesting RPGs I've ever played.

Spoz
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm a bit of a hippy fanatic, I went through the goth stage growing up, the majority of people think I'm a bit of a fruitcake (fine by me) I'm covered in piercings and I like to stand up for what I believe in and do as I please.

Lovely
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
What does it mean to be an Alternachick?:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124748

That was posted a long time ago... and I still like reading through it.

aphil
09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Melanie-

I don't equate Alternachick with being solely gothic, or punk. Alternative tends to mean anything that isn't the norm...so most of us here have alternative interests.

Musically-that might mean everything from death metal, to 80's New Wave, to independent music (and indie music can be anything from a soft spoken folk singer to the hardest music you have ever heard of!).

I personally don't shop at Hot Topic TOO much, because it has sorta become the Wal-Mart of goth high school kids. :lol: It's hard to make a statement wearing a black hoodie that 10 people in your high school class have, too. ;)

I am:

~A belly dance performer/instructor by profession.

~I am into sci-fi and fantasy films heavily.

~I moonlight making costumes on the side, specializing in movie replicas.

~A member of the 501st Division ( http://www.501st.com )

~MARRIED to a member of the 501st. :lol:

~I have my nose pierced, and 4 tattoos

~I listen to mainly 80's music, Middle Eastern music, and a touch of folk singer thrown in for good measure-Bob Dylan, Ani Difranco, etc.

~My clothing style is a dash of Middle Eastern, a pinch of black, a cup full of hippie, and a smidgen of bohemian. When I am dressed for comfort-I am usually wearing t-shirts portray my geekdome. I am currently wearing a black t-shirt with the Lambda Lambda Lambda logo on it, for instance. My husband is often seen in his "+20 shirt of smiting" t-shirt. :lol:

~I take pride in being intelligent, and I am always researching, reading, and learning new things.

~I am not Christian, but follow Pagan and Native American belief systems. ( I am of Celtic blood, and married to a Native American.)

~My husband and I HATE to go to bars and clubs. We would much rather have a beer or glass of wine at home, and play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit or watch our geeky box set dvds. (X-Files, Northern Exposure, etc.)

MotoMichelle
09-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree with a lot of what Aphil stated.

I am no where near being a goth. hehe In fact if you saw me on the street I'd look like just another 30 year old woman.

However, many of my views and beliefs do not fit in with the mainstream. The main two being that I'm a pantheist and also that my husband and I are child free by choice (something that the general public just can't seem to accept - "Oh honey you'll change your mind", ummm nope).

My husband and I are both pretty private people as well. We are not into crowds or big social gatherings. If we had it our way we would hermit away in the mountains somewhere. ;)

x meowkat x
09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I, too, agree with a lot of what others have said...I consider myself an Alternachick because I never did quite seem to find a comfortable spot within "mainstream society."

All of my tastes are quite eclectic, and don't really follow too many patterns even within themselves.

I've had my eyebrow pierced (took it out 'cause it was rejecting :(), I have a couple tattoos, and I've probably dyed my hair every color you could imagine; not to make any kind of statement to society or rebel against my parents....just because I felt more "me" because of it.

I don't really fit into one category more than another, I just kind of float from group to group. I love video games, Halo being a favorite...never really got into RPGs but have a TON of friends who love them. Same with anime and sci-fi/fantasy...I enjoy them once in a while, but I'd never join my homies at Sakuracon. I use words like "homies."

I'm not goth, but I've always been drawn toward the darker side of things. Zombies make me happy, and my favorite pajamas have skulls on them. I consider myself blessed to have been born with dark, dark hair and fair, fair skin-goes great with my black eyeliner and bright red lipstick :D I'll dress in anything from pink plaid with zippers to a classy 50's-esque coctail dress to a sweater-vest with 70's polyester underneath to jeans and a Tshirt.

My iPod contains items such as the following: System of a Down, Frank Sinatra, Flogging Molly, Beck, Count Basie, Tchaikovski, Beastie Boys, Lorena McKennit, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Muse.....yeah. Pretty sure I'm an Alternachick :p

jasmine987
10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I think this is an nice fit for me too. I am like no one I know. I think is a positive though :)

luvmyinnerdemon
10-28-2008, 12:59 AM
yay im so glad to have found this forum! Its nice to know there other people out there like me, the people that never really fit into any catergory but there own! I just joined this site and im excited about it!

kmcp
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I am new to 3FC and came to this forum to see what it was all about. It seems like there is a lot of discussion around music and appearance. To me, "alternative" means anything that is not main stream society. While music tastes and especially appearance can be indicators of an alternative mindset, I think there is more to it. I think there are certain parts of myself that are mainstream - how I dress for the most part, my career and where I work, where I live. But I think the core of me - my beliefs and morals - are alternative. My husband and I are both sober; we do not have children (by choice); we prefer staying at home and by ourselves rather than going out; we are both intellectually curious and try to figure things out on our own; we are spiritual but do not subscribe to any organized religion.

ollie27
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
i agree kmcp. but as this site restricts a lot of discussion about beliefs, morals, religion (to some degree) as not to offend, many of the discussions revolve around trivial issues such as music and tattoos. so this forum is kind of wishy-washy in that respect but for the most part i believe most of our "alternativity" is based on what's on the inside rather than the outside i.e. my views on religion and politics. for what it's worth i like it here largely on the basis that i don't really seem to fit in in any of the other forums.

:welcome2: btw

aphil
10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
The only thing that is really forbidden here in the forum is political talk...and that is because people tend to get REALLY defensive about it, and it causes a lot of messes for the mods and administration to clean up. :)

As far as religion goes, religion isn't banned here...we have sections devoted to just that-Faith Based Groups, Paganchicks, etc. Some of the mods and administrators have different faiths, and we are all very respectful of that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone mentioning that they are Pagan, Jewish, Baptist, or whatever and mentioning their holidays or events in passing....only when someone becomes "preachy" to others.

I would not consider anything wishy-washy about that...we are primarily a diet and fitness support site, and we try to keep the focus on THAT aspect of our lives...rather than going into politics, etc. There are thousands of other sites focused on that if that is what people want to discuss.

I don't call it wishy-washy...I call it keeping focused on the primary purpose of the forum. :)

ollie27
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I would not consider anything wishy-washy about that...we are primarily a diet and fitness support site, and we try to keep the focus on THAT aspect of our lives...rather than going into politics, etc. There are thousands of other sites focused on that if that is what people want to discuss.

I don't call it wishy-washy...I call it keeping focused on the primary purpose of the forum.

Eh, potato/potata. That's what I meant, you just put more thought and words into saying it. Cheers.

GONNABE165
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm a lil confused :dizzy:

Growing up I went thru a phase where I dressed in all black, no make up and long black (natural) hair. I slamm danced and loved the Sex Pistols. I have several tattoos and plan on getting more. I've had nose pioerced and lots of earrings in my ears. I do now and always have been a christian with very strong beliefs. I am married to a black man - we like all kinds of music and some of the same things as some of yall have mentioned so why doesn't that just mean you are you just like I believe all of this is just me being me

Maybe I don't understand exactly??????

kaplods
10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't really post here alot, but I do post here when the topic speaks to me. I definitely feel way outside the mainstream quite often, so I do understand the desire to meet and gather with other people who are "off center." When you're very different from other people in some way, sometimes just meeting other people who are also different (even if it's different in a completely different way) can create a bond. "Hey you're an unmatched colored sock in a sea of white socks too - that's cool!"

Do I consider myself alternative, or just an individual? That's harder to answer. I look very normal. I tend to dress rather conservatively, and my personality is often called "cheerful and upbeat" by others (I hide my inner darkness well). But my way of looking at the world is - well, sometimes very unique.

My husband looks a lot more alternative than I do. I describe his appearance as "biker-viking." 6'2", 350 lbs (more when I met him) with graying hair with still a lot of his natural, many-shades of red hair. He looks "tough" and unconventional, but his beliefs and values are more conservative than you would expect. He's a gamer and still plays with the group he joined in high school. They meet monthly, and members travel for hours (when we were in IL, the drive was 5 hours, but hubby still drove it every month). I tell him we're a strange pair, because I'm normal on the outside and kinda strange in the middle, and he's strange on the outside and kinda normal in the middle.

My husband will often look at me during a conversation and say "you're just not right" (meaning "what planet are you from, anyway?") - but say it with such a mixture of awe and pride - he definitely did get a unique woman.

I remember his mother LOVING me when she met me (because I looked normal, had a great job, and didn't carry some of the emotional baggage of some of hubby's former girlfriends). But I think she started realizing I wasn't going to "fix" her son for her, when she was trying to badger me into getting hubby to get a haircut for our wedding. I guess I sort of did - I asked hubby to get his hair trimmed (about an inch) and braided for the wedding in a long braid down the center of his back (it almost touched his belt).

We horrified both sets of parents by having decks of cards on the reception tables, board games and a boom box instead of a band and dancing at our reception.

I didn't want a diamond for my engagement ring - I wanted an aquamarine, because it's my absolutely favorite stone (and birthstone). The wedding band has diamonds and saphires that surround the aquamarine engagement ring (diamonds because they're my husband's birthstone and saphires because they traditionally represent fidelity).

I didn't realize how abnormal having a non-diamond stone was, until so many people said "I've never seen a blue diamond before," - and I tell them "and you still haven't." I don't know how anyone could mistake an aquamarine for a diamond, but I guess they so expect a diamond that they assume that's what it must be.

Am I alternative? I don't know, but I'm definitely weird - does that count?

Robot
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
"Hey you're an unmatched colored sock in a sea of white socks too - that's cool!"

That is an awesome quote.

RedKat
10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I love this thread! Basically, I think Alternachick is anyone who thinks outside the box. I like to say not only do I think outside the box, but I live there. I have multiple tattoos, an eyebrow piercing, Henna my hair that's unruly and a gleaming orange red, yet I'm a naturalist/hippie who attends music festivals and environmental causes....and a rebel, that is, when it comes to society's norms and conservations. I'm a human rights activist, a bowling mom, a worker bee, and a hooper. I refuse to be slated as one particular label.

jandaman
10-31-2008, 03:38 PM
fly that weirdo flag!!!!

katie m a r i e
11-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Hmm... Well, seeing as I am new, I can't really say anything. But I am young, so being an 'alternachick' is what almost all teenagers consider themselves... I was goth in like, sixth grade, tried to be 'emo' in seventh grade, and in eighth grade I went to a mental health clinic... But I mean, I'm also best friends with the cheerleading captain, am an avid member of the debate team, and am practically a make up artist. And yet almost every weekend I get very 'dark' or whatever, and go to a show and mosh around... So... I think everyone is an alternachick really, somehow.

PrettyPaula
11-23-2008, 04:21 PM
i guess i should pipe in here.

I am definately an alternachick... I favour the rockabilly/punk/pin up fifties style and i have numerous tattoos and piercings.

But i am trying my hardest to break the mould within careers. I am currently in my 2nd month of an amazing job/career which is public facing and has LOADS of progression opportunities. I hope i am making way for people to look past the appearances of people who may look a little differently and see the intelligent and successful person inside.

kaplods
11-23-2008, 04:38 PM
My husband and I were discussing this very topic - what is the distinction between individuality and an anternative lifestyle - and the conflicting needs to express individuality and conformity. Especially in the teen years, being a non-conformist - often means finding a non-standard group to conform to. If you're truly unique, you're just a freak.

It's funny sometimes how people sometimes see us as direct opposites, and others say how much alike we are. I think we're opposite sides of the same coin. My husband looks like a freak, a huge 6'2" biker-viking, though he neither owns a motorcycle or is of Scandinavian descent it is the impression he gives, with his waist-length auburn, now graying, hair and his obnoxious t-shirts such as "I'm big, you're small, have a nice day.... or I love my wiener (and a picture of a dachshund)... and yet he is the most morally and religiously conservative (yet tolerant) person I know. I on the other hand, look pretty "straight" and yet have a very weird (or to be flattering, eclectic) way of looking at the world. We both love sci fi, the Chieftains (I love celtic music from the instrumental "Enya" type to bawdy drinking songs, my husband is just an all-around music buff), animated "G" movies (and even better if they have thinly veiled adult references from the classic, even sappy old-movie nods in WallE to the adult humor in Shrek)...

My husband made this very astute and profound statement - "basically I just came to realize I am the only normal and sane person on the planet - and the rest of you all are just crazy freaks."

owlmonkey
11-24-2008, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=aphil;2346885]
I am:

~A member of the 501st Division ( http://www.501st.com )

~MARRIED to a member of the 501st. :lol:

and play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit QUOTE] Yeah!

Anyway, I echo alot of the same-alternachick is alternative to the norm, left of center if you will. My musical taste includes mostly persons no longer living, I have a pierced nose, I like W00T!, video games, and I'm a total Star Wars geek. I am Pagan, but even there I'm left of center. Pretty much this is where everybody can belong.

ollie27
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
But i am trying my hardest to break the mould within careers. I am currently in my 2nd month of an amazing job/career which is public facing and has LOADS of progression opportunities. I hope i am making way for people to look past the appearances of people who may look a little differently and see the intelligent and successful person inside.

awesome. i feel like tattoos/piercings should have no influence at all on career, service, job skills, etc. because...umm...they don't and stuff. good for you, paula. as for me, i am a TA for college writing courses, so i'll get back to you after i interview for real jobs, but, yeah, i'm with you.

jandaman
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
am pierced and have teaching job...even teach at überconservative banks!! hasn't been an issue yet :)

zerocool
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll toss my hat in. I'm into alternative music (I was even in a band). Have both tattoos and parsings (all hidden behind my clean cut appearance). But I would have to say the number one reason I'm an alternachick is because I'm a dude on a weight loss forum. And I must say it has been Extremely helpful to me!

Riayn
01-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I am an alternachick, not because I am goth or listen to heavy metal music, but because I am a 33 year old dyke living the childless life in suburbia with my girlfriend and our two dogs.
I am also a sci-fi/fantasy geek, a Star Wars fan from the age of 4, player of RPGs, internet addict and science nerd.
I so do not fit in with the soccer moms nor the church going community.

K8-EEE
01-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I like your music collection MeowKat!

I'm a jazz-loving, vintage hippy type alterna-gal, myself. What makes me happy is gardening and going out to hear live music - cocktails and jazz is my favorite thing. Although the cocktails part, helps me to be a fat chick, so I'm trying to be a one-cocktail-and-then-switch to Perrier clubster!

Clothes wise I like peasant blouses and jeans for hanging out, 50's style dresses and cardigans for work, black cocktail dresses and heels for going out.

I'm not pierced or tattooed or into metal....However, I don't really seek "people like me," I like to meet different types of people.

I'm certainly not "conservative" or "Christian!" I don't dislike people who are, but I don't really relate to them either.

katiecron
01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
awesome. i feel like tattoos/piercings should have no influence at all on career, service, job skills, etc. because...umm...they don't and stuff. good for you, paula. as for me, i am a TA for college writing courses, so i'll get back to you after i interview for real jobs, but, yeah, i'm with you.
very interesting about professional careers and tatts/piercings. I have an MA in counselor education with emphasis in community counseling. until recently i found the progressive look beneficial in working with at risk teens. lately as my community contacts and networking grow, as i prepare to interview for therapist positions, and as i might be in line for a big promotion, i feel that my attitude towards showing others that an intelligent, successful, caring, and responsible individual need not fit the norm is a fight i might not win...not in this community
i was delighted when i replaced my tiny nose stud with a silver hoop and began wearing a silver monroe stud (a piercing above the lip, like Marilyn Monroe's mole) to work, without condemnation. as my position, and age rise, i feel people roll their eyes at my style. it seems especially silly to wear a pants suite to a community meeting with one of my tatts sticking out of the top of my shirt, 2 facial piercings, and 00 gauge tunnels in my ears.

mauvaisroux
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Actually, I am the guilty party who started a thread on this site many years ago called Alternachicks in the hopes of meeting some people that I had something in common with. When I first got here I met a lot of nice people but couldn't really talk to them about things I do, books I read, weird movies, music etc. My tastes weren't really similar to theirs.

To quote from the bio thread "The word Alternachicks basically grew from the word “alternative” an 80's reference to punk/new wave music. It reflects our different lifestyles and mindsets." I guess these were the only words I could find to describe it. There are no set rules or dress code or lifestyle requirements for being an alternachick - it is just how you feel about yourself. :)

For me it is never really feeling like I belong in a group - a feeling I have had since childhood. Even if I didn't look like a weird kid I had different opinions and ideas from those around me. I can fit in wherever I go because I make an effort to be social but a lot of times I feel I am just doing it to be polite and social and I don't really have anything in common with those around me.

At work I look completely conservative and no one would suspect that I am a gamer, a bellydancer, a lover of zombie movies and crazy foreign movies with subtitles ( most people I know hate to "read" movies ), listen to every kind of music under the sun, love sci-fi books and speak 4 different languages. I fly my freak flag after work and on weekends. ;)

Annita
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm an alternachick on the inside, but on the outside I look soccer-momish.

I'm a video game fanatic and have been for a long time, way before it was cool for girls to be into them. I've gotten some weird looks from people even now. Depends on where the game store is.

I love cartoons, especially comic book related ones.
I love anime as well.
I'm not a Christian nor do I want to be. I'm not really anything other than me.

Stephanie, you describe exactly me. ^^I have nothing more to add.

akdny
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I think I fit in with the non-fitter-in-ers.

:carrot:

I have the requisite tattoos, sport the obligatory nosering and push the boundaries whenever I can.... does that qualify me?

I am also compassionate to a fault.. so I tend to be a great listener (or, reader - if you will) I am a lot of things...maybe one will spark: a vegetarian, a stepmother, an only child, an attorney, a fat chick, a procrastinator, a wino.... anything?

If all else fails, I have really cute pets and I could sendy you pictures in exhange for your friendship. ;)

mygritsconfessions
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I was curious too about Alternchick and now that I peeked - you all are awesome! I love individuality and being who are - not what someone wants you to be! I am probably older than most of you in here, but I too always beat to a different drummer. I still blast my Rock music, have some Tattoos that I love, and welcomed my teenagers when they got theirs.

mauvaisroux
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
AKdny - yes, you can play too - :lol:

mygrits - you sound like a cool mom :)

StudPup
04-05-2009, 02:43 PM
New "alternachick" here.
I've never fit in to society's norm. I don't know why, it just never 'clicked' for me. I don't get the shopping for dresses, purses and matching shoes.
I currently have 4 piercings, (but used to have 7), and I have 2 tattoos.
I used to play 'Janet' in San Antonio's Rocky Horror Picture Show cast. But that was many many moons ago. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen it other than A LOT.
I was introduced to Roller Derby a few years ago when a friend took me to see the Lone Star Roller Girls when they came to town, and instantly fell in love with the sport. So I skated and reffed for the last 4 years, but I recently left the league. It was like a bad marriage.
I'm into anime, industrial music, the 70s, independent flicks, outdoorsy stuff, zombies, horror, anything that's odd and ecletic or has the possibility to get me into trouble. I'm also a recovering drug addict with 8 years clean.

PinkyPie
04-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I just wanted to say "hey" to all the new chicks and DUDE here in the Alternachick forum. I've been around for years (and, yes, I wander off from time to time, in my own little world of denial and then I realise that I can't really do this without support) and this is hands-down the best weight loss forum on the 'net (JMHO).

So I hope the newbies will keep coming back and join in on the monthly thread. I know the old chicks are thinking "there she goes again; it always starts out gung-ho for Velveteen and then she leaves after a month". I can tell you this - I'm not leaving this time! I'm not getting any younger or any healthier by staying the same!

So get yer butts over to the monthly thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168412), say hello and let's get to know one another and support each other along the way!

ciao!

michelinwoman
04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Haha, RPGs. I'm going to cry.

I traded in to Gamestop a crap ton of them last night including most of the Shin Megami Tensei PS2 games. The darkest, most interesting RPGs I've ever played.

I think I'm in the right place then...I never seem to fit into the other boards and they are a bit too "clicky" for my taste. I look like a soccer mom type, but I think I am pretty freaky on the inside. Always clicked more with guy friends...married my best friend nearly 18 yrs ago. I 'm one of those oddballs that really never did care too much about music. I like a little bit of everything okay...but never "got" what all the fuss was about. I admit to wiki-ng what "RPG" meant too. But I do have a really warped (okay...more like an adolescent boy) :) sense of humor and would like to be involved in a forum that has less tradational girls in it. This sounds like the one!

p.s. My ticker still says 154....but if I hold out at 152 for another day or two...I'm moving it :carrot:

grae
05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
hmmmm could it be i found a little spot i might like long enough to stick around?!?! I am Rae, and am new here to 3FC. I live in Kansas City, am a freelance artist / henna artist / tat flash designer / poi spinner / djembe drummer / herbologist / tarot card reader / and brand spankin new lead singer of an evanescence cover band.

I have been married for 12 1/2 years to the guy I met when I was 12 (ahhhh young love!) and have 3 daughters ages 19 months, 9 and 13. We have 7 cats, 1 parakeet and a 13 year old bunny. I am more of a hippie at heart, not quite the goth girl anymore. I love all the lovely unique people roaming the earth and seem to find them everywhere i go...thank god lol. I have two years left of school before I become a holistic health practitioner and hope to write a few books and eventually open up my own wellness clinic when my youngest is old enough to be without me.

Music? LOVE music. Any classic rock - world - screamo metal with chick leads - not so much a country/r&b/pop girl.

Not a gamer ... soooo i will have NO clue what you all up there are talking about ;-)

hello pinki
05-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm very happy to see that there are so many different women on here! When I first found the site I was concerned it was going to be all middle aged soccer moms...no offense to the middle aged soccer moms, but as the title of the thread would state, finding alternachicks to share my goals and thoughts with is refreshing.

My friends always call me eclectic, I've got ink from my shoulders to my knees so that its all cleverly hidden for my sickeningly boring but sucessful corporate job...my fiance and I are always being asked if we're in our early 20's since we're not the typical 30 year olds but we take it as a compliment. We're getting each other sleeves for our wedding gifts which definitely raises eyebrows but what a better way to have a gift that lasts forever! Hehehe...I'm a total gear head, ride a sportbike, mod cars, love music, hiking, travelling and just doing the most random things ever.

So glad to meet you ladies!

Sushi
08-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow, what a cool surprize. I just haphazardly stumbled upon this forum this morning looking for a review of some gadget, but found that there's all these cool chicks on here! I've always felt like a square peg in a round hole. I never fit in in school. After highschool I started playing an RPG and finally found that there were others like me - smart, creative, outside the box thinkers who would never hold my looks or brains against me. From there I found more places I could meet people like myself and I havent looked back since. But when it comes to online forums, I've always expected to find the same mundane types who have never seen anything outside of the mainstream. To illustrate my point, I remember I was in the staff room of one place I worked and this chick I worked with made some derogatory remark about how I always ate weird food. I was eating an avocado at the time. Before that, I had brought in some take out sushi with me. I was so happy when I left that place.

slayingthedreamer
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm DEFINANTLY an Alternachick :P I practiacally LIVE on Metallichicks.com, I've met AND baked for Nightwish, I named my firstborn child after Shadows Fall. I'm a gamer(LOVE Need For Speed) For some reason, I find European metal more to my taste. I do dress goth at times, but right now, I see a lime-green baby-doll style top.

dcapulet
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I always feel like the out of place mom, with my bright red hair, piercings and tattoos. I am also the mom blasting the rock and roll, punk, new wave... whatever's good at the moment. It's like everyone expected me to "get over" that phase, espeically after having children and then hitting 30. I've just hit my stride.

:wave: to all the other kick *** ladies here!

Smee
08-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Oh my! I positively am in love with the place officially! I've always been the shy one, never quite fitting in anywhere. I was a bookworm band geek in school, discovered skateboarding and punk rock soonafter, and it was all downhill from there. I've got 2 tats (arguing with the hubby about getting more), multiple piercings, including my labret I gave myself when I turned 30, I role play, I video game, I write and paint and do all I can to keep the creative juices flowing. I joined the military, managed to keep my alternalife intact with hidden piercings and shaving most of my hair off, and on the weekends went clubbing. I like nothing better than combing through piles of old LPs looking for gems I'd play on my imaginary turntable (again, hubby not seeing eye to eye here), or spending days travelling through thrift shops and flea markets. I did recently pick up knitting, I play soccer, flute in a community orchestra, AND I'm the assistant leader for my 12yo's Girl Scout troop. Oooo, kinda mainstream there... :)

And of course I married a jock. WTF was I thinking? ;) I don't dress goth or punk or anything like that. Give me a comfy pair of jeans (or Dickies shorts!), a well-worn t-shirt and some Chucks and I'm all set. And I love this thread!!! Yay to us Star Wars geeks!!!

Frigg
08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Guess I had better explain what makes me an 'alternachick', though I'm not even sure myself. I just don't feel like I fit in a lot of places, and I'm most comfortable here.

Physically, I probably don't look too different.. I've always had a more classic look (some have even said I look 'European'. haha) I mostly wear black clothing, though I'm not goth.. I also don't really adorn myself that much. I stick with my naturally pale skin and just darken my black hair a bit. (Okay, I guess it sounds really goth, but with light makeup and my natural colorings, it looks normal on me.) Lately I've gotten bored with myself though and have considered doing henna tattoos. I loove Moroccan and North African designs. I guess I'm really interested in anthropology too..

My brain is very liberal, which is funny considering my entire family is very conservative, very Christian.. I'm also very Pagan. haha I'm interested in other religions too, but am fundamentally agnostic. I'm bi/pansexual.. and a feminist.. and vegan.. Some people never suspect these things because some assume I'm just a snob. I can have a very serious air about me that I can't help. I'm actually pretty compassionate and understanding.

For fun.. I guess I'm much of a loner. haha I love watching films--mainly old foreign ones and documentaries.. As for music--I adore folk fusion, and though I listen to a lot of different stuff (metal, industrial, rock, punk, synth pop.. even ska!) it's probably my favorite genre. I guess I like art that lets me zone out and live in another world. It sounds silly, but I love fashion too. Though my wardrobe is monotonously black, I adore cool black things! I just remember to keep it ethical.

Well, that's most of me.. Looking back, perhaps I do belong here. My last health/weight loss forum was very conservative..

imaninjadangit
08-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm a single mom who plays violin, loves all types of music, plays video games, and watches horror movies. I especially love zombies and vampires. I have some ear piercings and one tattoo....for now. :devil:
I'm also a big girl. I would love to wear Hot Topic clothes, but I'm too big. Torrid stuff just doesn't look right. I also have fairly large breasts, which makes it super hard to find anything that fits right.
Anyone else have those issues?

I just want to wear the cool clothes!! Not the men's graphic tees!!!

Minya
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM
wow i never knew this thread was here! i'm so happy to have found it! I'm a married 26 yr old who loves art, drawing in black and white, occasionally paints, love to read and write stories, plays video games, attends comic and anime conventions and i like to wear clothes that aren't "in" which means dark denim and earth tones plus a lot of black. I also adore tattoos, ear piercings, ankh, symbolic jewelry. I like hot topic for their music selection, but their clothing is a little too much. My skin is super pale and I have dark brown hair, rarely wear makeup. But I tend to resemble a ghost when pictures are taken of me in dark rooms.. I love the renaissance era and obsess over costuming for special events.
(see my wedding pic in the mini goals forum) XD

You can catch me typing away online all hours of the night :D

My music selection- I listen to everything, especially metal and classic rock, some pop is okay, I really like relaxing music too including celtic themes and Zen.

Flip
10-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Well, I think of myself as alternative for many reasons.. Im 49 and got my first of two tattoos at 40, have wild hair. Dress in an avant garde style. Im pagan, and live in a big city called San Francisco with lots of queers, pagans, and other freaky types. Been a vegetarian 27 years. My politics are radically left. I am strong outgoing and love who I am in the world. Have a septum piercing that I do not wear all the time. I sail a lot and my nose runs so I wear it going out at night. Wear a lot of black and have done since I was 16. I like to grow, think, expand and generally try to educate myself into growing up around isms.... speak out about unjust things. Try to stay open to love. I guess Im a love warrior... cool. much love Flip

TamiL
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow, I think I fit in here more than anywhere else. I am a middle aged (45) mother of 4, married and bored out of my damn mind most of the time. On the outside I am a walking catalogue model for LL Bean. You know sweaters, jeans and hiking boots with a furry vest, LOL This is due to my job as a school bus driver. Can't be too radical with a dress code. I love anime art and do 3d art on the side. My hair is always a different color or two at a time, well whats left of it, I am slowly losing it due to aging I'm afraid. Maybe time to shave it off. I do not have any tatoos but would love to get my nose pierced. My current musical taste is hip hop. Hubby says I have the tastes of a 13 year old black girl........better than having the taste of a 90 year old white guy I tell him.
Politically I am on the lunatic fringe, hubby says I am an anarchist. I don't think so but I believe truly that we should divide up everything and get rid of the rich versus poor crap in this country. Everyone should have the right (not privilege) of safe housing, water, heat and food. No one should have to decide whether they want to eat or go to a doctor. Education should be equal for all, no private school system for the elite. College should be free and public as well. Marijuana should be legal and cheap. The drinking age should be eliminated entirely. I call this Utopia. A place where we all live together and share with one another. A place where we become what we want to be without the constraints of choosing our destiny based on our ability to accumulate more and more wealth. Dream on, I know.

Now here is where I get weirder than many people my age. I do not believe that sex and love have to be in the same conversation. Humans weren't designed to be monogamous. I married my husband because I love the person that he is, not because I want to have sex only with him forever. Secretly I want to sleep with a black man before I die. Already been with a man of mixed race. This wasn't about love, it was about physical attraction and plain and simple "booty call".

I was raised in a conservative family who all belonged to the Lutheran church. I rebelled early on and refused to get confirmed at 13 like most of my "peers". Although I believe that there is a higher power, or atleast something that we humans cannot grasp out there, I am not convinced that his name is God or Jesus Christ for that matter. I don't believe that someone who "sins" and goes to church to repent each week is any better of a person than someone who just "sins" according to our social mores.

I don't fit in with any one group and never have my entire life. Most women my age just don't get me or like me. But the guys do. So I guess that I am honestly an "alternachick" in every sense of what the word alternative means.

mauvaisroux
11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Welcome! :wave:

muggle born
12-05-2009, 11:30 PM
you guys sounds just like me! i am new here and could use all the support i can get. i am struggling with my weight and feel extremely isolated from everything because i am ashamed at what i look like, and have no motivation whatsoever. please give me some encouragement, advice, pointers, etc.

mauvaisroux
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Welcome muggle born! :wave:

Mikan
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I think I fit into this category. I am kind of new to the site. When I was a teenager I used to have a lot of piercings, dye my hair different colors, and have a mohawk. I have kind of toned it down lately. Nice to see there are so many different kinds of people on this site. Nowadays my interests are cooking, cats, coffee, and studying Japanese. I still think I am out of the norm.

IndieSoul
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi I'm new to 3FC, I think I might fit into the category. I'm 15 years old, I have a nose ring, I love to listen to "old" music like The Cranberries and Fleetwood Mac. "Old" meaning people my age consider this music old, but I don't. I'm really into art and writing...just being plain different and creative, it excites me so much. I'm the kind of high school girl who couldn't give a darn about sports, and is into stuff like the art and poetry clubs. Wow, this is the most I've said about myself on 3FC so far :P

britticus
01-07-2010, 12:06 AM
TamiL I loved your post!!! I feel the same way about sex and love...now if only everyone did!! I don't know if sleeping with black guys is any different! But it's definitely just as fun :D

britticus
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I also think I might belong here....but I'm kind of just a nerd. I use to be a real wild child lots of drinking, sex and drugs...now I watch a lot of trueblood and drink a lot of soda water ;D Few tattoos and one or two peircings!

Phoenixsmommy
01-19-2010, 02:24 AM
I consider myself an alternachick because i feel like i am myself.I do not feel the need to fit in,look or dress a certain way,listen too a certain music,dress a certain style or color, i feel like i am myself.Alot of the time women try to fit in to be accepted,they bend and mold themselves into someone society agrees with, and for me, i am just, me.

I am a mother,wife,aunt,sister,daughter,preschool teacher,Nursing student,baker, scrap booker,i have tattoos,piercings, i listen to heavy metal and classical music, i play the classic violin and the bass guitar,i wear all black and every other color of the rainbow,avid video game player and i love mommy and me music classes....I am no one other than myself, i am an individual and there is no one like me and THAT makes me different then what society is used too :)

Daisy May
01-20-2010, 02:05 AM
wow! i luv this thread!!! finally a group i can belong to

i am an alternachick from sydney, australia. i love music, going to concerts and festivals. music is my life and i would one day like to be singing again (not just in the shower!)

i luv to travel and spent the past 4 years of my life dedicated to travelling the globe and saving $$$ to travel the globe with

i luv watching sports but then love a romantic comedy too

i think alternchick means chick with personality and not afraid to be herself! an alternachick cannot be defined!

i hope to get to know you all better, as i think the support from here will help me be successful in my weight loss journey.

thanks for listening :)

missybct
03-10-2010, 05:44 AM
I think I'm going to dip my toe in here! I've always been told I'm alternative and I've always just said I don't really fit into any knowledgable clique, and now I think yeah, I am an alternachick, fo sho. :D

I'm new to the forums so I hope you don't mind me hanging out here!

kspeakes
03-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Seems like this might be the group for me. I'm a bit of everything. I'm 37 years old and have live 14 of the last 18 years outside of the US. Sometimes I feel like a woman without a country. I live in Brazil with my partner of 14 years whom I met while we were both living in Japan. I'm a bilingual educator and a long time Girl Scout. I'm what Michael Pollen would call a flexitarian. I only eat meat a few times a week and love to cook vegetarian and vegan food. I found 3fatchicks because something HAS TO GIVE! I hope that having some support here can help me do something I have never really been able to do.

Thousandsunny
03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Woah, I just found this subforum! I'm an Alternachick... at least, I hope I am because this sounds like a great group. I'm a nerd, a gamer, an anime freak, a tomboy, a teacher, a bookworm, a music fanatic and... and me! I hope I can get to know you all!

mauvaisroux
03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Welcome to all of the new members! :)

I think an alternachick is anyone who marches to the beat of their own drum. :D

FunSize
03-18-2010, 06:03 PM

I was HEAVY into New Wave in high school, and later got into industrial/goth. Both music scenes were a bit avant garde for their times, and my life evolved around the scenes. I didn't really relate to people that were into sports or movies or such. But for what it's worth, I still don't.

I haven't been part of any "scene" for years now. My life looks more akin to that of a soccer mom than a goth chick, but I still don't feel like I fit in with the soccer mom types. I grew up, but my tastes didn't.

That's so me... I was huge into ebm/goth in my younger days but now I look "normal".. but that's still where my heart and cd collection is!!!!!

Kallye
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
So, this seems to be where I fit in...
retired pro fighter, mom of 5 {4 live with me, one with his dad in another state....the ones living with me are ages almost 12 to 6}
listen to Manso, Zombie, SLipKnot, Mudvayne, Hatebreed...you get the idea

Anyway, I'm up to 170.8 and wanting to drop to 110....
I started a very low carb diet on the 8th and so far, so good :)

Geckowall3
04-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Yayyayayay for Zombie films. They always cheer me up when i'm in a bad mood. my hair is currently punky short red spiked. and my fav music is industrial. My go to jacket is a CIA hoodie i purchased at a yard sale, it always attracts funny comments from strangers but i'm shier than anything.

Ms JanVan
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
to paraphrase Die Hard "Yippee-ki-yay, mother******* I think i've reached my zone & although others may disagree I am so alternachick!! I have the tattoos,musical taste,movie taste and thoughts/ideas to prove it! I definately look like the rest of the cookie cutout mommy types but then I work in a financial industry and You some times have to resort to camouflage!! I need to get back to "the normal" but "I'll be back!!!! - Arnie"

cowtownkimmie
05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm def an "alternachick", if rockabilly counts for alternative anymore! ; )

xxDazzlexx
05-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not normal so I must fit in here ;)
and if I don't fit in here then I am in trouble!!!
Now I just need to fit into my clothes that define who I am instead of wearing what fits and isn't me and doesnt tell anyone what tastes I have. Can anyone else relate to that?

geauxgirl
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I think I might have found where I belong. I just have always felt like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. When I was young I always tried to fit in with everyone else but I soon realized that just wasn't who I am. My tastes are very eclectic. Musically I listen to just about anything, ranging from The Cure to Bob Marley to Jack Johnson. Quite a huge stretch there! lol My movie taste is very similar. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a good action flick and other times a foreign independant movie. My entire family is very catholic, while I am agnostic. So I don't usually stick to the mainstream.

Nice to meet you all! I look forward to joining you all with your journies!

Beach Patrol
06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Welcome to all of the new members! :)

I think an alternachick is anyone who marches to the beat of their own drum. :D

That's me. :D

I am almost 47 years old. I'm married with no children (4 pets) and my fashion style is mostly hippy with a taste for the bohemian. But I do (sometimes) dress "appropriately" for work (whatever that means!) :rofl: I work for an ocean-science research facility, so I can wear shorts/t-shirts & flip flops to work, which is great, because I LIVE in flip flops.

I dig art in a naturistic way; I used to be christian but now identify with pantheists, I hate politics because it's so.... political. :lol: I love animals and nature and try my best to preserve wildlife. I love vampire/supernatural novels, shows, movies, etc. Girly things like cooking and sewing make my blood run cold. Ick. (heh)

I don't do funky colors with my hair, simply because I love to swim and smurf-blue, pygmy purple or neon-pink doesn't do well in chlorine! I have 11 tattoos and counting...(got my first when I was 42!) I mostly wear my hair in braids. I like it long (longer than in my avatar pic) but I don't like to mess with it much and braiding is quick and easy.

My musical tastes range from local bands to pop music, The Clash to Johnny Cash, The Doors to 3 Doors Down, Pink to Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffett to Jimmy Hendrix, and just about everything in between! I love Spanish and African music and I sing outloud almost anywhere... including the grocery store! ... and I don't care who knows it. ;)

I went sky-diving for my 40th birthday, I've petted sharks and swam with dolphins, I drove cross-country to move to Alaska with $500 in my pocket, I like to drive at wild speeds and I laugh at dirty jokes, even if I'm the punchline! I'd say I'm quite different than the average American woman - like most women my age I know. But ****, they're OK too. :cool:

inkdiva
07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Okay, just subscribed to this forum. 3FC is great in general, but this forum is like finding a treasure within a treasure. I live in Montana which is just about as rural and conservative as you can get, so of course I never fit in. Didn't grow my courage or own my personality until college and was too poor to afford any goth wear. Besides, I would just have been a dabbler anyway, it looks cool but I'm not wired for depression or anger. I'm one of those annoyingly cheerful morning people. :) Wasted my youth in feeling self-conscious and overweight, and am ironically now trying to return to that weight. :) I'm pretty tame by most alternachick standards, I'm straight and monogomous, but agree that guys probably aren't wired for it, so I guess I'm screwed. Only without being screwed, if you know what I mean. :) I'm pretty much divorced, just need to file the paperwork, and am the mother of two girls, 2 and 4. What's alternachick about me would be that I not only have tattoos, but I do tattoos. Oh yeah, and I'm a full-time middle school English teacher. So that whole blend in with the majority and express yourself on your own time, yeah that's me too. Since I already have tattoos, let's see- I'll count them for you, 14. I used to have more, but some of them connected and now they only count as one :) I decided to do something else for myself for my planned mid-life crisis. I'm shooting for at least 80 years old, so that makes mid-life 40 and it's coming up quick. I'm going to get myself a motorcycle, and complete my half-sleeves for my 40th. I listen to any music that matches my mood from elevator music to heavy metal. I'm a child of the 80's, so I dont' dig much rap and screamer -I- hate -my -mom music doesn't do it for me either. (exception: Disturbed, they are awesome but that dude has issues. He needs Dr. Drew) Not that I begrudge anyone who does like any form of music, music is expression. I'm thinking of taking belly-dancing lessons with my best friend, and I know I'll do it, but I'm pretty uncoordinated and have no sense of rythm, so it should be interesting. That's me in a nutshell, I guess. "Help, I'm in a nutshell. Somebody get me out. What kind of nut has a shell this big anyway?" My avatar is Inkkitty. She's cute, right? She has my tattoos and nose ring, but has obviously had some work done. I'll post real pics when I make some real progress. Till then- it's great to get started on this journey with some like-minded peoples. Sorry for the smiley overload. :) :) :)

duckchick
07-16-2010, 03:19 AM
I love finding this forum! :D

I'm a child of the 80's here as well, and have always been considered one of the "weird girls". I was that (overweight) freak in high school that no one really talked to, but I also stayed under everyone's radar. Those I did communicate with were real friends, and one became my best friend of the last 20 some odd years. This gave me a perverse desire to be different from everyone all the time, and though I don't try to call attention to myself because I'm so shy, I'd say that desire to be different is still there.

I'm another cheerful person, but love alternative music and metal. No tattoos, but hope to get one one day. I think it'll be one of my weight loss rewards. Hopelessly addicted to World of Warcraft, and can't wait for the new expansion!

I look forward to getting to know everyone here! :)

Ms JanVan
07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm one of those annoyingly cheerful morning people. / and am the mother of two girls, 2 and 4. / So that whole blend in with the majority and express yourself on your own time, yeah that's me too. / I listen to any music that matches my mood from elevator music to heavy metal. I'm a child of the 80's, so I dont' dig much rap and screamer -I- hate -my -mom music doesn't do it for me either. (exception: Disturbed, they are awesome but that dude has issues. He needs Dr. Drew) Not that I begrudge anyone who does like any form of music, music is expression. / I'll post real pics when I make some real progress. Till then- it's great to get started on this journey with some like-minded peoples. Sorry for the smiley overload. :) :) :)
I'm so glad you like this forum because some of you ladies,girls,etc really could be my doppelganger's except that I'm not really a morning person...I think I'm still the sulky 16yr old type..I'm also a child of the 80's so I get where you're coming from except the occasional Snoop Dogg goes down pretty well - I've kind of lost my way because of OTHER issues but intend to drag my FAT ***:D back into some sort of shape. I think I should be slightly thinner before I get anymore tattoos but hey the ones I have arent going anywhere!!! Look forward to any of your updates!!!:):)

mauvaisroux
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Welcome to all of you! It is so great to see so many diverse and interesting people here. :)

cfanderson30
07-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm a punk.. straight up tattooed, colored hair punk! I go to shows on weekly basis! I'm open minded about all things! I'm so happy to find this board !!!

LacieRene
08-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Hello, my people! I'm a tattooed, pierced, free spirit who just doesn't seem to fit in! I'm more bohemian than goth or punk, but my ears are stretched to a 4 gauge (used to be a 0, but there were never any cute 0 gauge earrings!). I've just always worn what ever fit, but when I get to my goal weight, I think I'll be living in jeans, chucks and band tees. It's exciting to think that I'll be able to finally express myself through my clothing and not just wear the over patterned, generic, stuffy, "office casual" Lane Bryant or Catherine's clothing!

RedBelle
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Since I consider myself June Cleaver with tattoos, I must be an alternachick. Thank goodness.

HeavenlyAirhead
10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Since I consider myself June Cleaver with tattoos, I must be an alternachick. Thank goodness.

Ha ha ha! That's awesome.

I'm one of the only chicks that I knowin real life who has the "Zombie Apocalypse Survival Guide" not to mention is one awesome plasma grenade throwing/sniping/cast some healing magic on your dying tail type of girl.

I'm tattooed and pierced and set my dvr to record Star Trek (Next Generation and Voyager) and Robot Chicken....I love art and music....and reading....and I would rather watch Watchmen....The X-Men....or Transformers over The Notebook any day.

I use the force and a variety of Harry Potter spells daily....know that if Harry Potter was a real boy he would be one month younger than me....cried when Dobby died....and think Spiderman can take out Batman any day. ;)

I'm glad I decided to check this section out. Seems like a fun place.

spoonflipper
10-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Hello,
I'm new to 3FC -just wandered in the last few days. I'm 30 and I live in L.A. I started South Beach about a week ago. Meandered into this thread and found HeavenlyAirhead's post. Star Trek TNG and Harry Potter? There's one of my people. And recently I've discovered that I frickin' LOVE zombie movies -the lower the budget the better. I Netflixed a movie called (no joke) Zombie Strippers the other day and I actually liked it. But I can't tell if the subtle feminist message was intentional or not.
I don't know if I could necessarily be classified as an Alternachick ( I don't look like a suicide girl with pounds to lose) but I did used to sing in a satirical lefty punk band, so maybe that gives me cred. Now I'm boring file clerk who occasionally does stand-up comedy.
Anyway: hello.

krampus
10-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Zombie Strippers was a good one!

I'm pretty normal looking. I'm way into dark/alt music scenes, e.g. metal in its myriad forms, old goth rock/ebm/postpunk stuff, industrial/synthpop etc. I am a regular at '80s nights.

Dannichick
10-18-2010, 07:24 PM
YAY!!! I'm just like that too... with a tad bit hippie style. I'm glad this ...forum...board...idk...is here!!

juliawm
04-22-2011, 02:44 AM
I have been lurking on 3FC for awhile. I am old enough to not be comfortable with this mode of communication but I am strange enough to not fit into other groups...I cant relate to the over 50 scene because well I just cant....although I am only pierced in the normal ear type places and I have no tattoos I was 'Goth" before there was such thing back in the 70's! I am not religious. I am funny (clearly not so far...but I do crack myself up on occasion)...

MY joining 3FC stems from the deadly combination of hitting menopause full stride and quitting smoking. I have had food issues since the dawn of time, I was a chubby kid, a totally anorexic teen, a speed freak for years (one does not eat on speed) and now I am slow, old and getting, it seems, fatter on a daily basis. I barely eat and I work out ALL the time and nothing seems to be helping. My metabolism has completely betrayed me. I start living healthy and I am rewarded with looking like a very short lump. UGGHH

Oh ya I don’t eat meat either. I really am looking for others that are older like me but who identify as "alterna.." so I have someone to chit chat with as I either lose weight or more likely, as I try to accept my new round look....

iadrahs
05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I never fit anywhere exclusively, I'm all over the place, or nowhere at all. I don't try and fit in, that's what makes me, me. Some days I dress completely in black, the next day I will dress completely in white. Because I can, and because I don't care what other people think! I like all music, I can jam to anything! Even Justin Bieber (much to my kids embarrassment) I tell it like it is (much to my kids embarrassment) and I enjoy life fully. My fav artists are One Republic, Alicia Keys, Audioslave. My fav fav fav place to go is Key West so if you've ever been there, and you know the relaxed lifestyle down there, THAT is me. Flip flops, shorts, a tank top, and shell earrings (hafta look cute you know). I'm a Syfy geek. Love Horror movies (esp vampires) and I even have my kids into them. I like knitting and crocheting and funky arts and crafts stuff. I have one tattoo of a caduceus on my wrist with the words "Diabetic" in cursive underneath in case I pass out somewhere. I have a nose piercing, triple ear piercings, and a non-existent belly button piercing (took it out when I gained weight because I hated the way it looked). I wear my hair natural (without chemicals) and like to rock a 'fro, cornrows, or twists.

I've done this dance before. In public. :carrot:

VegDay
05-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Looking back, I've been an alterna-chick all my life. I just didn't realize it. I've never fit in. Not even with my own family.

I've always been liberal and open minded. All the while being stuck in a overweight very conservative looking (so I've been told) body. That has not made life easy. But it made me become very independent. It's me and the cats against the world!

No tattoos. I've decided to let my grey grow out. I'm a vegan. I love it. I'm on my own but I do what I want. No one tells me what to do. Except at work but that's part of survival.

You would never know who I really am by looking at me. I'm different on the inside.

Esofia
05-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Well, I'm not at the punk/goth end of things (though I will happily drool over corsets, and particularly women in corsets), but I probably fit in here in other ways. Especially considering that most of the people I grew up with can't understand:

- how you can be bisexual if you're in a monogamous relationship, or vice versa (honestly, will people please stop conflating monogamy with monosexuality and bisexuality with polyamory?)

- whether my partner minds that I'm bi (he's bi too. It basically boils down to equal-opportunity ogling of actors in films, though I still can't believe he fancies Brad Pitt. Sometimes we have to go back and listen to dialogue again because we were both distracted by cleavage)

- why I have been happily with my partner for five years and love him to bits but don't want to get married

- why I stopped attending synagogue once I realised that I'm an atheist

- why we don't have a TV (we watch quite enough rubbish on the laptops, thank you)

Also vegan, disabled, a bookworm, a good little feminist, an obsessive quilter. I think people have picked up the erroneous impression that I'm terribly high-minded because I can rabbit on about classical music or 18th century literature or what have you (of course, I take something like the novel Clarissa and start focusing on the rampant lesbianism and interesting portrayal of anorexia and Stockholm Syndrome, and that's before we get to the BDSM in Coriolanus), and then scan my bookshelves and are startled to see that I have a certain amount of sci-fi. And that's the high quality stuff, they should see the daft urban fantasy and such I have in audiobooks.

Generally quite mad, and a keen fan of bonkers conversations in the small hours and jokes that almost no one else gets. And by now I sound like I'm writing a personals ad, so I'll shush.

aussienerd
06-06-2011, 12:25 AM
ths is just my place im an aletnativechic have been since iwas little :P im only 16 but im pretty sure im not gonna change my style i love it to much. and i have dyed my hair every color of the rainbow including black brown adn blonde expect purple thats my next color :D i dont have any piercing :( parents wont allow it :( but my music and clothes are more of what you thing "grunge" i guess thats what ppl lable me as so id k:P

aussienerd
06-06-2011, 12:30 AM
That's me. :D

I am almost 47 years old. I'm married with no children (4 pets) and my fashion style is mostly hippy with a taste for the bohemian. But I do (sometimes) dress "appropriately" for work (whatever that means!) :rofl: I work for an ocean-science research facility, so I can wear shorts/t-shirts & flip flops to work, which is great, because I LIVE in flip flops.

I dig art in a naturistic way; I used to be christian but now identify with pantheists, I hate politics because it's so.... political. :lol: I love animals and nature and try my best to preserve wildlife. I love vampire/supernatural novels, shows, movies, etc. Girly things like cooking and sewing make my blood run cold. Ick. (heh)

I don't do funky colors with my hair, simply because I love to swim and smurf-blue, pygmy purple or neon-pink doesn't do well in chlorine! I have 11 tattoos and counting...(got my first when I was 42!) I mostly wear my hair in braids. I like it long (longer than in my avatar pic) but I don't like to mess with it much and braiding is quick and easy.

My musical tastes range from local bands to pop music, The Clash to Johnny Cash, The Doors to 3 Doors Down, Pink to Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffett to Jimmy Hendrix, and just about everything in between! I love Spanish and African music and I sing outloud almost anywhere... including the grocery store! ... and I don't care who knows it. ;)

I went sky-diving for my 40th birthday, I've petted sharks and swam with dolphins, I drove cross-country to move to Alaska with $500 in my pocket, I like to drive at wild speeds and I laugh at dirty jokes, even if I'm the punchline! I'd say I'm quite different than the average American woman - like most women my age I know. But ****, they're OK too. :cool:

not to sound weird or anything but uhhh your kinda my dream mother not gonna liee <.<

Serval87
06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not goth, though people always think I am, not because of the way I dress (which tends to mostly be long, billowy dresses or shorts/pants and a t-shirt if I'm lazy. I have been known to wear flip-flops year around. I would go barefooted if it wasn't so unsanitary), but because of my sometimes depressive demeanor.

No tattoos or piercings.

I love music and singing. I mostly listen to opera, broadway, video game music/movie soundtrack music, instrumental, symphonic metal, but i will listen to anything I really like, but I am picky.

I'm daydreamy, and tend to space off, or burst into song when someone is talking to me (ooops). However, that doesn't mean I'm not listening.

I write stories, and hope to be published. I get ideas from my vivid dreams. Speaking of dreams, I am a big believer of dreams having meaning. I don't believe that they predict the future or anything, but I believe that they are your subconscious trying to tell you something.

I am a huge fan of video games, especially RPGs (Chrono Cross is my absolute fave!) I am also a huge fan of 80s horror flicks (or good horror flicks in general, but sometimes the unintentionally bad horror movies are the best. Think "troll2"). What's hilarious is that my husband and I found out when we were talking over the phone (we met on the internet) that we had the same unconventional, favorite movie "Return of the Living Dead". I often jest that that's when he truly fell in love with me. lol. Oh, and I also love musicals, but, again, I'm picky.

I keep my hair VERY long. It's to the start of my thighs, but I'm hoping it will grow longer. I sometimes skip sleeping for 1-3 days when I just "don't feel like it". I get some of my best writing done when I don't sleep. :D

I also have a huge fascination/love with nature and animals. I hate war and politics. I'm an introvert. I've always had a fascination with things such as bellydancing, contortion, and things like it. That may not seem weird or unusual to anyone else, but I'm christian, and a lot of the people at church don't have these kinds of fascinations.

If I had to describe myself in one sentence I'd say: Disney princess wanabe with a dark side. LOL. Yep, that's me.

GuardDawg
06-20-2011, 01:48 AM
wow ive found my people :D

im a perpetual 23 y/o. i like that age and ill stay with it for a few more years. im not a hippy or a goth im just kinda what makes me happy. i have 8 tattoos and have had 12 piercings. the surviving ones are 2 tongue ring,s a septum, and 3/4" plugs. im about to add to the ink collection and maybe get an new piercing. or two.

i am the proud mother of a weenier dog surprise (half weenier dog, half surprise!) and i am crazy about her. i also have 5 rats 3 girls 2 boys named Thirteen, Bellatrix, Narcissa, Voldemort, and Wormtail.

I dont know if you could tell but i am a HUGE Harry Potter nerd. and band nerd. i love all sorts of music, classical to gangsta rap. i am in LOVE with Adele. if you havent heard her youtube it and be amazed!!

i hate politics and most organized religion. specifically the ones that find the need to shove their savior down your throat. i am loud opinionated and the F bomb is my favorite word.

i love world of warcraft and cant wait to play when i get more monies! i am a huge nerd, geek whatever you want to call me. i love video games. a good night for me includes my xbox360 and a laaarge daquiri. (which will be no more as those things are all sugar! sugar and liquor!!)

i dont want to be that one girl who is trying to fit in with the skinnies. i just want to make myself comfortable in my own skin again. im a dark haired fiery tempered latina and i dont want to fit in with anyone but myself. ;)

Jesterlove17
06-21-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm gonna really like this sub forum cause I'm not like them WebMD or Oprah or IVillage broads. I'm 24 (25 in a week!), I work a WHOLE LOT (bar server!), and I'm too crazy for the typical diet stuff. I like kandi-rave culture, heavy metal (CLEAN vocals though), hip-hop and dance, and the arts. I love being a minority (even though being a black female is one of the hardest damn things to be in america!) I love life. And people. I'm just living life ^_^
So yeah I can't listen to that mainstream dieting advice it's not for me!

Unfortunately, I grew up poor so I don't even like a lot of healthy food, but I'm trying new things so you never know what I might find!

dreadfullydivine
06-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I am also an alternachick or should I say alternamom?

I am a gothic stay at home mommy to two boys and a little girl with piercings and tattoos. I have had my hair every color of the rainbow and I have been a vegetarian for 19 years. I guess you could say that I am a goth/geek/gamer mom.I don't fit in with the other karate/soccer moms and I have always marched to my own drummer. I love video games, sci fi and fantasy books and movies, corsets, big shoes, hair extensions, table top RPGS, reading, crafting, tattoos and piercings. I am a writer hoping to be published and a pagan. My music tastes range from classical and opera to goth and industrial. If I like it I listen to it and I will talk nerd/geek/alternachick to anyone. ^_~

SpangleMagnet
06-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Yay, alternachicks! I have found my people :p

Not gonna lie, part of what is finally motivating me to get my butt into gear and lose this weight for REAL is because my brother drew me up an amazingly beautiful tattoo... and it's too big to go into a 'fat friendly' place ;)

RowanM
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh nifty! My kind of category! I'm a happy Pagan (19 years and counting) single mom to one 12 year old heathen girl, look like your average soccer mom, former military spouse. I love to listen to NPR and NIN equally. When I'm working I'm business casual, when I'm not I'm hippy chic.

I think I'll settle in for the ride right here. :)

ADL
07-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Wow I feel like I completely belong here. In high school I was very into my image. I walked around with big headphones blasting grunge and heavy metal music and wore these big knee high black boots with chains and spikes etc... I had piercings and used to wear pins as earrings because I loved the shock value. You know how high school can be, you are finding yourself and expression seems more important. Well nowadays I like to look (dare I say it) sexy, as opposed to grungy and alternative. I am beginning my career and so i dress according to how I want other people to perceive me. Yet I have never felt more liberated because for the first time in my life my physical appearance does not determine or reflect who I am on the inside. I am 100% personality and that personality doesn't need a badass image in order to rock out to some classic heavy metal.

LotusFlowers
07-29-2011, 07:51 AM
OoOo I like this little section. Used to love the goth scene, still do. I'm 30 now, but back in highschool, I would hang out with the alterna-kids at lunch time, put wild spray-on colors in my hair and dress like a vamp and watch the guys play hackysack lol. Those were the days! I'm still the same way except I don't dress the part "all" the time. Hate to be out in the day time.. so my outside workouts consist of me getting up at 4am to enjoy the night while I workout.

There are not alot of people who enjoy alterna-life in my area..but I don't care, I love my rock, my alternative, and a good frollic at 4am =p

Maggy
01-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Not much action here as far as new people but I'm joining it anyway! I think I'll be the oldest Alternachick at 61 but I'm fine with being your weird pseudo-mom or grandma. Ha!! :) I'm not pierced except for my ears but wish I had the courage to do it. I do have a tat on my left shoulder of a life-sized rufous hummingbird & a blue poppy. And I definitely don't fit in as a "normal" grandma type.

I've always been the round peg that other people try to force into the square hole & since it hasn't worked so far I doubt that it ever will. I usually had jobs that were out of the norm - especially for the times that I did them. I've been a cab driver, tugboat operator, EMT/firefighter, logging crew laborer & more. Usually I was the only woman working those jobs but it still felt like a better fit than secretary.

I enjoy sci fi books & movies & for years I've been a big gamer. Most of my games have been mmorpgs but I've also played some fps games like Left4Dead & Joint Operations. My son got me started in gaming 16 yrs ago. He taught me to pvp (player vs player fighting) but would always tell me "please don't tell them you're my mom!". He didn't want anyone to find out he played games with his mother. :) Then one day we got jumped & were outnumbered. We both fought back hard & we won! He couldn't help himself I guess cause all of a sudden he typed out "That was my Mom that just kicked your asses!". LOL! Good times! Ahh the bonding between mother & son. :)

I do like a few traditional hobbies like gardening & genealogy but for the most part I do my own thing & don't care what other people do. My best friends happen to be gay guys that I love dearly & would defend to the death. I mostly like metal music & funk - odd combination I know. At 61 I still continue to embarrass my son every chance I get. lol I guess that's about it for now. :)

Staceyh2012
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Yay! What a cool group zxxx

Staceyh2012
01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Yay! What a cool group xxxx

Shadowf3
05-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi, I class myself as a goth, but don't really dress like it.
I've always been a bit different, even within my own tastes! As a kid, I was a new romantic with wardrobe that was punk based, then it moved to metal with the punk/NR and new wave/electro accessories. But always, the denim and leather were there. Now, it's just jeans and tshirts, but I'm the cool mom blasting Rammstein and Nightwish in the car!

Amarantha2
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow, after all the time I've been on and off 3FC I didn't realize I WAS an Alternachick.

the shiv
12-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I want in on this too!

31 y/o career-shifting, regularly depressed, potentially bipolar, girly looking geeky introvert with a passion for rock music and gaming, Final Fantasy nut. And a childless by choice agnostic.

Oh, and I'm Scottish. That HAS to do it :)

I will freely admit that a large motivating factor for wanting to lose 100lbs is to dress up as Lightning from Final Fantasy 13 next Halloween...

So... Hi *waves*

ADL
12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi The Shiv. I totally get you...I want to lose weight so I can dress up as Belle (my favorite disney princess) for halloween. Good luck on your weight loss, Lightnings' costume kicks ***!

iadrahs
12-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi The Shiv! The Halloween before last I actually thought I lost enough weight to fit into my Storm (x-men) costume and I thought that would be the beginning of something great but no. I wore it anyway. It wasn't even close to what I thought I'd look like. Ah well. I'm already working on next year's costume as Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean and it involves a corset!!

The Shiv, my fav fav fav FF character is Lulu. I like her FFX costume with the long dress with the belts and the cute Moogle (did I type that right) that she carries around with her. Yuna is also one of my favs but I like Lulu's darker side. If I can pull off Calypso, I might attempt Lulu.

the shiv
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi The Shiv! The Halloween before last I actually thought I lost enough weight to fit into my Storm (x-men) costume and I thought that would be the beginning of something great but no. I wore it anyway. It wasn't even close to what I thought I'd look like. Ah well. I'm already working on next year's costume as Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean and it involves a corset!!

The Shiv, my fav fav fav FF character is Lulu. I like her FFX costume with the long dress with the belts and the cute Moogle (did I type that right) that she carries around with her. Yuna is also one of my favs but I like Lulu's darker side. If I can pull off Calypso, I might attempt Lulu.

You have great costume choices! I'm working my way back from FF13 (never had a ps2, but I've googled and Yuna's costume looks cool! Reminds me a bit of Fang's, clearly the long skirt aspect is appealing to me ;)

Psychic
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
I was always the girl with the dyed hair, band t-shirts, and black nails in high school. I've always been a bit of a loner and quiet. I enjoy the side of life that most people either don't notice or choose to ignore.

I have varying tastes in music, literature, and art. I like everything from hard rock to classical. I read everything, but I particularly love books about fairies and vampires. As far as art goes, I just like what I like. I do enjoy anime and videogames as well.

I like comfort and peace. I'm a very laid-back person. I'm perfectly content to sit in a chair with a blanket, a book and a cup of hot tea. I think everyone should just slow down and relax sometimes.

Amarantha2
02-16-2013, 07:36 AM
I have always been an alternachick, have never posted that I remember on this section of the forum but have been all over the 3FC block trying to fit in for decades lol. I define alternachick as an eclectic person seeking a fitness & weight management place to roost.

Novus
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I am so totally an alternachick! I just seem to naturally gravitate towards everything outside of the mainstream - music, books, movies, hobbies, fashion, food, etc. If almost no one has heard of it, I love it. If it's popular, I hate it. I've come to love this about myself. It's totally groovy being the odd one. :dizzy:

shcirerf
02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Hey!

I drop into the alternachicks now and then, just to see what's up!

After some checking out the thread, I could be an alternachick.

Not like some, but still, I figured and alterna is someone who follows their own path, whatever that may be.

In my neck of the woods, I'm a bit of the odd girl out. I live on a farm, I raise an organic garden, I lift heavy weights for exercise, my best friend is a gay guy, who is a great cook, I work for a veterinarian. I have a tattoo! Looking for another one.

I'm also currently doing lots of learning about natural/holistic/herbal remedies for good health and healing.

I'm not a girly girl, although I can pull that off when the situation calls for it.

I can drive a tractor, run a loader and backhoe, deliver animal babies, don't mind getting dirty.

Basically, I like my lifestyle and don't really care what anyone thinks about it!:D

fitmama84
05-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty much an alternachick wannabe...I am a theatre geek and I love steampunk and I really want to dye my hair either a blue/teal or purple/pink ombre, and I love zombies and basically anything supernatural. The only reason I haven't dyed my hair or bought more steampunk clothing is because I kind of want to lose the weight before I spend money on stuff.

50pounds
02-26-2014, 03:13 PM
I am new here and suppose that this will be the place for me!!! :) I see a lot of "chicks" here that I have things in common with: Anne Rice (the dark stuff), video games, Tool, not fitting in with "soccer moms" (and good grief I live in soccer mom mecca!!!), LGBT lifestyle, etc. Yay!!!!

Nice to meet you all!!! :)

paigeinabook
02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I love this thread so far. I have read all of it and I think I may have a little bit in common with all of you!

SebbysMom
04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
'Old school' goth, checking in!

I'm almost 40, have pink and fuschia hair, love punk and industrial music, covered in tattoos and pretty much wear black every day. I think I fit in, here. :)

jessiegreene
06-02-2014, 12:55 PM
So glad to have found this!!! im at work so I only have a sec, could someone tell me how you get the little scale things at the bottom of your post?
please and thank you!!! oh yea and HELLO !!

aryastark
08-13-2014, 07:18 AM
nodding my head at all your bios, I'm the same, a fan of rock and alternative since my teens but alternative in a lot of other ways. I've been an atheist, vegetarian with a liberal outlook on life for a long time, was living my boyfriend and kids before we were married at a time it wasn't the done thing. I always feel I was born about 20/30 years too early.

si2017
12-15-2014, 05:17 AM
I think if you saw the phrase "alternachick" and your eyes lit up...

it's you :)