South Beach Diet - Phase I Chick Check - Sunday, June 29 and Onward

hereicome
06-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I am on my last few days of phI but I might stay a little longer. I am missing fruit probably wouldn't if it were winter. What really is helping me is a mix of salsa and some beans heated up over my eggs in the morning. I also have put it over a veggie burger and it really is good. I brought it for work lunch several times last week.I never liked beans until I tried SB a few years ago.I did have 2 drinks on Friday at a party. Stuck to the food plan, but ca ved on the alcoshol. Boy, did that go to my head. I was sick yesterday. I never have hangovers. Not eating carbs with the drinks is a real no,no.Lesson learned. Does anyone know how much salsa you can eat?

Ruthxxx
06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Depends on whether there is sugar in it or not, HereICome.
I'm going to close this thread and start the next one called June 29 and Onward. I'll try to copy our two posts there but no guarantees. I'm technically challenged this morning. :rofl:

Debbie54
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi ladies,
Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. It's hotter than blazes here for Washington state. It's going to be close to 90 and with allergies, it's no fun, but I make the best of it that I can.

I weighed today, and I'm down to 275, :carrot: so that's a 6lb loss for this week making it a total of 10 for the two weeks on phase 1. I'm really happy with that because it's been so looooooooooong since I've had a good weight loss like that. I know some of it was water, but I was counting calories before I started SB, so I'm sure alot of it was fat too.
So I'm thinking I might stay on phase 1 just one more week because of TOM being here.

How did all the rest of you do? Please post your losses! I wanna know how all of you did too.

Have a great OP, butt movin', water drinkin' Day!!
Debbie

audreymonroe
06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone! Starting phase 1 today! I've done all my reading and shopping to prepare for it. I'm going to plan my menu and exercise while I have breakfast: turkey bacon, egg, and cheese cups, and a glass of low sodium V8! I'm really looking forward to starting this plan, and I'm so glad others have been successful so far. Cheers!

mescelestus
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
you can eat a lot of salsa as long as it is not high in carbs. most salsa, such as ortega and pace, is low in carbs and has 10-15 calories for a 2 table spoon serving.

SavarnaRose
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
My second day on phase 1.5 :) and I did slip up. My blood sugar crashed and I went a bit overboard when I was trying to get it back up. I was pretty upset with myself.

But now I'm saying, "Oh well, tomorrow will be better." My blood sugar crashed because I didn't eat enough. It was a rough day.

My daughter came home after spending the night with a friend and half her face was swollen! so I had to take her to the doctor. I forgot the insurance card so I had to run to dh's work to get his. After I got back to the doctor's and filled out the paperwork, then they tell me I have to go somewhere else with my insurance!!! Finally I get to the right place and it takes almost two hours to get in and out. She has an eye infection.

After all that she wanted to go to McDonald's. I got a salad (asked for it without the tortilla strips). The dressing did have sugar in it though. I still feel it was okay to eat it, by this point I had to eat something. I was getting a headache then too.

We got her meds and FINALLY got home! I took some meds and laid down for a while. I woke up with my blood sugar at 50! I had a sandwich. Still felt low, so I had some grapes. Felt better but still hungry, so I had some cereal. Bad bad bad! I did have some other things in the fridge but just didn't think about the cottage cheese and yogurt and I didn't want to take the time to prepare something. I had it in my mind I needed carbs, though I didn't really anymore.

Sometimes it is hard to get my blood sugar back up when it has crashed like that. If I hadn't been asleep I probably would have caught it before it went that low.

The thing is, I didn't really even enjoy the cereal. I've never been a big cereal eater. It was just there.

So, now I have a plan for next time. Number 1, make sure I eat enough during the day so it doesn't happen again. (and stay away from McD's, they don't have anything good there!) Number 2, have some snacks in the fridge already prepared and maybe keep an SB cereal bar or something in my purse. Number 3, don't freak out and keep eating!

I'm going to be more careful tonight and especially tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Bright Blessings,
SR

Mum2Monkeys
06-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi hi! I started Phase 1 yesterday :) So far so good! It's sad, I'm already looking forward to Phase 2 haha I do fine for lunch and dinner, but breakfast and snacks get me. But, I'm determined to have a clean Phase 1, so I'm hanging in there!

Jess

Ruthxxx
06-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Mum2 - check out the Recipes and FAQ for breakfast and snack ideas.

SavarnaRose, EAT. If you continue to have low BGL, perhaps you should ease into Phase II.

RenRen
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone!

I started PH1 yesterday.

The one thing I have realized is that I mindlessly eat carbs throughout the day. Yesterday, while getting my boys Goldfish, I stuck my hand the bag to grab myself a handful. I had my hand to my mouth before I even realized what I was doing. This morning, while making my oldest his lunch, I cut off the crust from his sandwich and almost popped those in my mouth too.

Other than that, I'm doing well. I'm guessing that by the weekend, I'm going to slip. I won't have a problem staying away from sweets, but it's the alcohol I'm worried about. I'm hoping if I just stick to a glass or two of red wine, I'll be ok.

Happy Monday!
Rennie

Ruthxxx
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi, RenRen, and :welcome: to The Beach.
Yup, carbs are tricky. It'll help to be sure to include lots of veggies PLUS the dairy and legumes on Phase I. By the way, better wait for Phase II for the wine. To detox, a pure Phase I is best.

RenRen
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Ruth.

I do know that alcohol isn't allowed in PH1, but I'm not sure if I can make it through a family gathering without a little liquid fortitude. My MIL is quite a trip. ;) I'll try my best though.

Mum2Monkeys
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I checked out the breakfast thread and wow at the ideas! I think I'm going to try the waffle recipe (though it'll be a pancake for me). I fixed some flaxmeal chocolate muffins and they're good, but the texture's not my thing (though my hubs and my 3 year old LOVE them!)

I gave up and had chili for breakfast because I didn't feel like cooking this AM. I think I'm going to try going to bed earlier because I just can't seem to get going in the morning enough to cook. Or, maybe I'll do the quiche cups. I truly didn't realize how many options I had!

LucyFlicker
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Well it is finally that time. I started phase 1 today. I had absolutely no problems on my first day..didn't even crave carbs or anything. I was expecting to after reading about so many people did, but to my surprise I had not!

I tried the rosemary salmon recipe in the book for dinner today, and it was amazing. I have never liked fish, (with the exception of tuna), and I was so excited that I actually liked it. Go me, haha. =)

amasam
06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
A new month and new reslove. Tonight DH and friends asked to go out for wings and I agreed knowing tomorrow would be a return to healthier eating - and I am regretting the fat intake already. I have been following phase 3 for over a year, but sadly I have strayed too far this summer and am up five pounds - not horrible, but I know I need to address this now and not later. :frypan:

I am going to start phase 1.5 tomorrow - I will allow some fruit, as it is at its peak this time of year and see how it goes. If it is not working I will go strict phase 1. I will stick with my exercise plan: 40 - 60 minutes per day, :tread: as I know it has contributed to my success so far.

My plan:
Beakfast: 2 quiche cups (w.zucchini, carrot, broccoli, smoked gouda), V8 & latte
Snack: yogurt
Lunch: zucchini w/tuna and navy bean salad
Snack: apple and string cheese
Dinner: grilled chicken, garlicy roasted broccoli, salad (romaine, peppers, cucumber, cabbage)

Ally

thunderbegone
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I am new to the beach but have been encouraged by all of your posts and after reading the book, I have found that it seems like a great plan. A little background, I am in my early 30s and after having my 2nd daughter (she is 2now) , I have been unable to get out of the high 140s/early 150s. I exercise like crazy (minimum 7 hours of cardio a week and I resistance train for an hour each day 5 days a week) but I can't stop the weekend over-eating and over-drinking. I know that is why I can't get the scale to budge more than a few pounds. I call myself a weekday dieter!

I never used to gain in my mid-section but now I have all this extra fat when I sit etc and it is disgusting me.

I celebrated my birthday this past week and I am ready to start this new year with South Beach and 3fc! My official starting day is today and tomorrow I will have my first challenge as I will be having dinner out. I have already checked the menu at the restaurant and plan to go with a salad with a little fat-reduced dressing on the side and then the grilled salmon without added butter.

Who else is starting Phase I this week? I would love a buddy.

audreymonroe
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi all! Starting my 4th day of phase 1 today, and I'm already down 7lbs! (from 187 to 180) I know some of it was from poor eating habits just before this diet, but before that, I was hovering at 183 for about a month. So that's 2-3 "real" lbs after only 3 days of work, so that is enough motivation for me to commit to a clean phase 1. I had a low, constant headache on days 2 and 3, but this morning, I don't have a headache at all, and my body is starting to feel better, generally. I haven't had a single moment where I feel like I'm super hungry either. I hope the rest of you are doing well. I'm planning on at least a 30 min workout today. Good luck, all!

Ruthxxx
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Audrey, the headache could be caffeine withdrawal if you have been cutting out coffee or it could be carb withdrawal. Be sure to include dairy and legumes every day.

LucyFlicker
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I would really love a quaker chewy chocolate chip granola bar haha. I feel like the first 2 days were super easy, and now that it is day 3, I want to eat cereal very much. Ayye. They always say once you get over the 3 day hump, things always get easier..but I feel like now it is day 3 and it is becoming harder! Blaghh.

Ruthxxx
07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Have a glass of milk, Lucy. Day 3 is usually hard but it does get easier - not easy, just easier! Hang in there.

RenRen
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Checking with everyone.

I weighed myself today and I'm 155lb! That has to be water weight, but I'll take it.

Today was the first day (day 4) that I was truly craving carbs, so I went out and bought some SF fudgsicles. I was really trying to stay away from sweetners, but a guess a bit here and there won't hurt.

Hope everything is having a wonderful Wednesday!:cool:

Belle Mer
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I'm not actually starting Phase 1 until 7/7 for various reasons. Right now I'm planning, reading, and shopping.

I did SBD in 2004-05 and I lost 32 pounds. It's a good diet. I veered off SBD in 06. I've gone through cycles of staying on phase 2, and then totally binging. So I went on Atkins and Weight Watchers for a while, but they weren't for me. I always feel my best while on SBD.

I have 50 to pounds to lose. I weigh 190 today.

I'm glad to be here, and I hope to jump into the conversation and into phase one next week. Thanks.

cottagebythesea
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
:welcome3: to all the Newbies!

LucyFlicker
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello Belle! Welcome, welcome.

Okay so here is my thing, maybe it is in my head, maybe it is not.
I feel like I don't have much energy. Yesterday me and my boyfriend went to play tennis, and I just sucked really bad! And I was starting to really come around with it.

Then today (my day off) I did not even want to exercise. I could not even bring myself to do my daily dumbbell ruitine. I was lucky I did a load of laundry.

Also, so many people are like "I am never hungry"...well sometimes I amm hungry. A few hours after I eat I become hungry, and even though I eat a snack it doesn't really help as much to hold me over. Blahh.

I need some response on whether or not anyone else experienced this or it is in my head, or perhaps I am not eating right, (Which I defintely think I am).

Thanks women=)

Chubby Bunnykins
07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Thunder! You sound JUST like me! I am 33 have two daughters (youngest is almost 4) and have been stuck between 155 and 160 since the baby weight went away. I am on day 2 of phase 1 and would love to be your buddy!

Chubby Bunnykins
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Lucy,
I am hungry too. Sometimes I think it is in my head, or maybe the carb cravings. But whatever it is, I know how you feel and am right here with you.

Bug hugs,
Bunnykins

dasmith2
07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Yesterday was my start day. I got a little hungry at times, but I think I could've ate more veggies to help satisfy me. I thought I would be a lot hungrier,without all those grains. I have never gone without breads/pastas- cooking supper last night for the family was a little tough(enchiladas-which are my favorite),but I held strong and didn't sample. I had a SF popsicle when dh was eating his ice cream as well. It would be much easier if he'd eat healthy along with me. There are some great recipes he might eat, that I can make for all of us- that will be a big help!
I have been exercising and watching calories for a few months, but I was still taking in lots and lots of carbs- and sugar. Well, off to start my day 2 with a healthy breakfast

Angie

RenRen
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Lucy...It's not in your head. The first two days, I was definitely feeling weak.

Now, I feel like I have more energy.

ladybugnessa
07-03-2008, 09:16 AM
you can eat a lot of salsa as long as it is not high in carbs. most salsa, such as ortega and pace, is low in carbs and has 10-15 calories for a 2 table spoon serving.

I'm coming in LATE here but CARBS do not count what counts are the ingredients. I use NSA salsa... usually the brand at Aldis... but there are others ... just read the ingredients.... if Sugar or any other type of sweetener is in i dont' use it. just veggies and spices? I use as much as I like.

pamatga
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
And, I was going to add that if you look in older cookbooks, like from 30-40 years ago (you can find them either in the public library or at a second hand store like Goodwill) there are a lot of really simple and delicious homemade salsa recipes that do not add sugar. I have an old (about 45 years old) cookbook that I use a lot and it has many recipes that don't use all the added "stuff" that we are all trying to get away from. It reminds me that there was a time, probably our Grandma's generation, where not everything had "added this or that".;)

alwe74
07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Everyone. I started ph 1 on Tuesday. This is my first time doing SB. I have done atkins before and lost 30 lbs. I was doing WW flex plan but I have PCOS and WW didn't seem to be doing anything. I need to do a plan that cuts out sugar. I have been doing WW for the last 6 weeks and have only lost 3 lbs. Actually, I lost the 3 lbs. the first week and then I keep losing and regaining it. I'm hoping that it will be different with SB.

LucyFlicker
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks Ren and Chubby! Glad to know it's not just me.

pookynutt
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Today was my first day of week 2 of Phase 1.....what a mouthful! It seems to be much easier and I also find myself less hungry too! I have lost 4-5lbs so far and am thrilled with that and hope it continues! I haven't cheated once! I did have a dream that I was eating a saltine cracker though!

LucyFlicker
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Hahaha that is so funny!

indigal
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Hello everybody! I'm on day 6 of Phase 1. This is my 3rd time on SBD. It's good to be back. Last time I was following SBD I lost 60 lbs. My biggest challenge is to stick with a program longer than 6 months...
I'll hit the big ~4~0 ~in September.. This is the year for me to win this life long battle. I had a friend tell me once that the deadliest combo is to be female,40, fat, and a smoker. I can't help the fact that I'm a woman, I can't help the fact I'll be 40, I quit smoking Feb. 2004, so now I just need to change my fat into fit!

So far so good...prior to restarting phase 1 my cravings were way out of control. salt-sweet-salt-sweet-salt-sweet...Nothing satisfied these cravings.
Sunday morning is my weigh day...I look forward to seeing what the scales say. My energy is definitly improved!
Have a great day!

dasmith2
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
congrats on quitting smoking! I quit 3 years ago, I've put on 50 pounds since then, but thats why I'm here :-) I didn't quit smoking just to get obese and have the health risks associated with it :-). I ate tons of sugar andbad carbs. Tomorrow will be day 3- I hope to see the scales moving soon- I will be happy no matter how small the change :-)

indigal
07-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Okay so though Sunday is my official weigh day, and the end of week 1...I had to take a peek....10 lbs down!!!! (and it's my T.O.M.!!!). I know I was holding a lot of water, but this is like, WOW!!!!...

JellyBean32882
07-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Damn, I can't wait to go on this diet, it's just a matter of getting some of the food, but don't have alot of cookware to cook it, so may just have to eat it without having to create a whole meal out of it, dunno if that's allowed or not..

LucyFlicker
07-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Ahh how lovely to be in this phase on the fourth of july. My brother's birthday is this weekend and i just want cake! It has sprinkles on it=(
I kept saying maybe if I just have ONE bite...but I want to get through the next week and be able to say I did not cheat. I am very sick of phase I...but I really want to see the scale move.

I weighed myself today but it was after I ate a huge supper, so it is no wonder it really didnt go down. It is hovering around 120 for like 2 weeks.
I would love to at least lose a litttttle bit on phase 1...I need some motivation !

RenRen
07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Today was tough for me too. We were at a town picnic all day. Funnel cakes, cotton candy, kettle corn. ARGH! Thankfully, I packed SB-friendly snacks with us. So while I wished I could have a bite of all of the above, I didn't. :carrot:

And I'm happy to say that my energy levels are way up! I outlasted my 4yo at tag today. Talk about an accomplishment. :lol:

Ruthxxx
07-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Whew! I hope you all survived the 4th on Phase I! If you were pure, congratulations. If you slipped, give yourself a hug and carry on.

dasmith2
07-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah that was tough- dh decided we should go out to eat, so we went to the golden corral buffet. The only thing I felt comfy getting was a salad with almonds,veggies and fat free ranch. Didn't think the cheese was low fat so skipped it. They did have some cold chicken breast that I put on the top. Dh peeled the skins off the shrimp for me(awwww-what a sweetie) . I wanted those rolls so bad LOL but I didn't- it wasn't worth it to me. I'm already 3 days in :-D

pookynutt
07-05-2008, 09:02 AM
YAY! made it through the holiday unscathed. It was pretty tough but am proud of making it. Seems like cravings have subsided and I am going to keep a positve attitude on the rest of this week! We can do it y'all!!

alwe74
07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I made it through the holiday without indulging. I made SBD Belgian Waffles for Breakfast, had chicken salad with reduced fat mayo and almonds for lunch, egg crepes stuffed with ricotta for supper, and I had NSA popsicles for dessert. I am on day 5 of phase 1. Only 9 days left!!!

SunshineCA
07-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Started back on the Beach this past Tuesday. So far, so good. :) I did well on my favorite holiday of the year. I stayed totally legal despite all the temptations trying to call my name. I can say I went to bed with a smile on my face knowing that I was in control of what I consumed.

I will start week 2 soon and will prepare my menus and shopping list tonight. Pre-planning is the only thing that works for me. Even if there are changes along the way, having an idea ahead of time reduces the risk of me straying.

Right now I'm preparing dinner. We're having taco salad with all the legal fixing's. Yummmm. :) For dessert we'll have Almond Ricotta Creme.

Good luck to all of you for the new week! :carrot:

indigal
07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Well I'm starting week 2 today... It's official now, :D I'm down 10 lbs! :carrot: I know most is water, but hey! I'll take it! I'm off to make breakfast. poached eggs with last nights stir fried vegies. Hope everyone has a good week.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Good going, Chickies. On we go to a new week - more challenges and more success! New thread is Phase I Chick-Check - July 6 - 12.