Weight Loss Support - What I can't give up

View Full Version : What I can't give up

danemom
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I have given up or changed a lot of things in my diet in an effort to lose weight and get healthy. nuts instead of chips, fruit instead of candy, and water is now my drink of choice. I realized this morning that there is one thing I haven't changed and won't.

My morning cup of coffee with half and half. I've tried using skim milk, fat free creamer, powder creamer but nothing replaces half and half. I tried but nothing else says get up and get your butt to the gym like my usual cup o joe.

So what is that you are willing to go a little further on the treadmill for?

Spoz
06-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I have to agree... I'm a Starbucks fanatic and I'll walk the country and back for that 6000ckal coffee!

There are also a kind of fruit and nut bar in the Uk known as Eat natural and I could never give them up. Thankfully despite them being high in calories they're good calories :)

CountingDown
06-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Red wine and dark chocolate. Non-negotiables for me :)

jimaterry
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
i am a coffee freak.. when i was still in the states, i drank Folgers.. 10 cups a day at least, but it was so good, i didnt add anything to it... now im in england, and im sure there is a good coffee here, but i havnt found it yet.. the best i could find so far is an instant, but i have to add sugar to it to get it down:(... so, i only have about 5 cups per day now, with the sugar in it, but i do add the cals to my daily intake..i guess the smart thing to do would be to have family send me folgers lol

rockinrobin
06-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh, I've given up lots of foods. Doesn't mean I won't eat them again (or haven't already), but they are now once in a while items. VERY once in a while. Some more then others.

But on an every day basis, I refuse to be hungry and I refuse to eat foods that I don't like or are just mediocre. I must love, enjoy and get pleasure from the food that I eat.

nuts instead of chips

I just want to caution you, though I'm sure you know this already, that yes, nuts are a much healthier option, but VERY caloric and can add up, calorie wise - QUICKLY!!!

McKenziesmomma
06-28-2008, 03:57 PM
hmmmm...this is a good one....

I like to eat out....so definately Mexican and Chinese (but sparringly)

I am not sure I'm far enough along in my journey to say things I will not give up....I guess because right now I'm eating 1800 calories a day and that really is alot...I can pretty much eat anything if I just watch my portion sizes.....I still have chips...but I weigh them and only have 1/2 oz for 75 calories...I still eat chocolate for snacks but I get the 100 calorie pack chocolate cupcakes with cream filling in it.....I'm struggling with sweet tea and dr. pepper...but I am beginning to like diet coke and water....

Oh one thing for sure....I have to have regular salad dressing....firm on that one no reduced fat or fat free

I may have to revisit this when my calories are lower and I really have to lose some of the higher calorie things for lower calorie things

JayEll
06-28-2008, 04:13 PM
You know... I've given up lots of things in my life... unrelated to weight loss... and I think now I can really say that there is nothing that I would be unable to give up. It's only food.

Of course, there are foods I really like, and I do like coffee with half and half. I was able to substitute Coffee Mate Lite, though--although it's become kind of an addiction.

If I had to give it up tomorrow, though, I think I could.

So, maybe it's a question of "won't" give up instead of "can't"?

One thing--now that I think of it. I have to have red meat from time to time or I get run down, pale, exhausted. So, I'd rather not give that up. :)

Jay

meowee
06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm right there with you on the half and half in my coffee . . . just about anything else is negotiable. :yes:

srmb60
06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
The odd Tim Hortons double double and ice cream.

fiberlover
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
My bagel on Wed and Sun mornings. We go out for them, and that will never change. What did change was the type of bagel I get. I used to get a really fatty or refined flour kind. Like cinnamon sugar, or an asiago cheese bagel with a flavored cream cheese. Now I get a multigrain or wheat bagel with reduced fat cream cheese.

I also refuse FF dairy products (although I will have a skim milk latte when out). I will have just a bit less of the real stuff, or use a reduced fat version.

PhotoChick
06-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Hm. Good question. On an individual level ..

I have sort of given up my DD morning coffee with cream - but only partially. Instead I have it black 4 days a week and treat myself to one with cream on Friday.

I won't give up good red wine either. I like a glass of wine with dinner and sometimes two. I just figure it into my cals for a 3x a week (on average) part of my diet.

On a more grand scheme: I won't give up *real* food. I refuse to live my life eating diet food and "lo-fat" or "fat free" food. While there are some things that I will sub (I make tuna salad with low-fat mayo, for example becuase the taste of the mayo isn't the main thing for the salad), for the most part I avoid diet foods. I would rather have a baked potato with one single tsp of real butter, than any number of sprays of fake butter. I refuse to eat fat free cottage cheese; I buy 4% cc and enjoy every bite. That kind of thing.

I'm sure there are some other things that I haven't given up ... but I can't think of what they are right now.

FB
06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
I love cheese, real stinky cheese like triple cream goat cheese. I will not eat fat free cheeses, with the exception of Laughing Cow wedges, those aren't really cheese to me - more of a spread for my wraps.

I won't quit drinking diet soda, diet energy drinks or espresso. I don't care, I mainline caffeine, I always will.

Hmm, that's all I can think of now.

Sweetcaroline
06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Real Mayonaisse... Cains to be exact.. I've tried tons of LF, FF different brands... I just don't like them... I keep a tiny jar in the frig, for tuna or chicken salad...

PhotoChick
06-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I love cheese, real stinky cheese like triple cream goat cheese. I will not eat fat free cheeses, with the exception of Laughing Cow wedges, those aren't really cheese to me - more of a spread for my wraps.
Oh yeah. I agree with this. I just had an ounce of double cream gorgonzola on my salad. Mmmmm. I would far rather have that and skimp somewhere else. But I also like the LC wedges as a spread on my wasa crackers for a snack. :)

And yeah, Diet Coke. I have one a day - in th afternoon. Won't give it up. Ever. :)

Lori Bell
06-28-2008, 08:21 PM
White Potatoes. I only eat whole grains, and stay away from "white" carbs such as white rice and refined flour, but I have a small, (plain with a little s & p and Tabasco) at least once a week. Some times twice. I love potatoes and have given them up in all their unhealty versions, but I just can't (won't) give them up baked or roasted.

Just a side note:
I used to be like McKenziesmamma and hated any and all low fat, fat free or light salad dressings...but I have come to love a few made by Wish Bone. By accident really. The Light French is excellent and 1000 Island is pretty darn good too. (Also tasty mixed with a little of each) 25 cal a Tablespoon.

PhotoChick
06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
But potatoes aren't unhealthy. Even white potatoes. They are full of vitamins. Potatoes get a really bad rap and I hate to see it continued here. A potato cannot possibly be classed in the same category as refined flour. :)

CountingDown
06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I agree with those saying real food - no FF or artificial stuff for me either. Portion control of whole foods is way easier than a lot of FF "stuff". I truly think that eating low cal, FF, HFC and chemically-laden foods contributed to my gaining the weight in the first place.

Cabot extra sharp cheddar cheese - ahhh - with a bit of feta and romano - goes great on almost anything (although - I agree about LC cheeses - love those little wedges).

Lori Bell
06-28-2008, 08:37 PM
LOL...you love spuds too? :) Potatoes are good for you IMO. They are also fat free, and a pretty good bang for your caloric buck, but not allowed on various low carb/healthy carb diet plans until maintenance because they effect blood sugar levels the way refined sugars/carbs do. They also get a bad rap because of the way they get wrapped...

PhotoChick
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I loooove baked potatoes. I have one for lunch at least once a week. :)

Katie B Good
06-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I could never give up my coffee! But I drink it black, so no calories!

I love cheese and don't like the LF versions. I can't imagine giving up real cheese.

Kofarq
06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I used to tease my MIL-to-be about using lo-fat mayo last year when she was on WW. I said she'd never catch me dead with that stuff. Now I'm on WW with her, and guess what, I ate my words (with lo-fat mayo on them!) In fact, I've found a few goodies I'll keep using during maintenance: Fat-free fudgicles, lo-fat cream cheese, etc. I CANNOT give up my flavored creamer in the mornings. I plan it into my WW points, and have cut down my coffee intake quite a bit, but there's no replacement for flavored creamer. YUM!!

Naytally
06-28-2008, 08:57 PM
In thinking about my foods and what I haven't been able to give up, the one thing that comes to mind is jade pork dumplings from chinese buffet. I have read that they are only about 50-75 calories/dumpling, but, I highly doubt that. There is no way something so good has that few calories.

Oh, and taco bell, but I haven't been in over three weeks, so maybe I have. When I'm leaving work at 8pm and its been one of those 12 hour days and I have an hour drive to get home... and I have 1000 or so calories free, it is SO tempting to stop at one of the THREE Taco Bells along the way. The food is filling for how few calories (crunchwrap & soft taco =700 calories... I could get away with it in my food budget, I'd just have to move a few things around) but the fat content is way above my limit of 45 grams/day.

FH hasn't been able to give up real milk. I did that long ago and made the transition to lite soymilk. It is so yummy!

Tomato
06-28-2008, 09:32 PM
A few things .... I have a similar approach as PhotoChick - I am not a fan of the oil-substitute spray, I prefer to use olive oil. I use whole eggs. Once every 2 months or so I and a couple of coworkers go to a restaurant for a schnitzel. (Although now I try to split it into two portions). Every once in a while we go for Thai food - I love coconut based tom yam soup or sweet and sour coconut soup. Basically, when I eat out (which is not very often) I don't want to order a salad - that's something I have every day at home. I want to enjoy something that have only rarely, even if it is not that good for me.
Every Saturday morning I have a slice of pizza at the local farmers' market, there are bits of bacon on it - that is pretty much the only bacon that I have.
I won't say chocolate, because I always eat only a square a day (not nearly every day though) and it is good quality chocolate with 85% cocoa, so I really don't consider it indulgence (although if I had to, I could give it up easily).

onesullengurl
06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
there are to many things I'm NOT willing to give up so better question would be what I AM willing to LOL....

I would say as of so far.. soda... I am soley on water/milk and the occasional Ice tea mix...... but I STILL have a soda once a week one the weekends I just use a diet coke plus instead of a regular coke...

right now I've given up ALOT of things but only because I haven't been able to get tot he store to get the healthier version... I don't plan on getting rid of them jsut trying to find the healthier option.. if I don't do that soon I will wind up eating them :lol:..

I have also given up HALF the "amount" of food I usually eat .. I've cut my portion size and appetite in half which I'm very proud of ..

oh and also my american chop suey and garlic bread...n o way no how I have to eat it or I will DIE

bargoo
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey half and half isn't so bad, 2 tablespoons equal 35 calories, that is enough for a cup of coffee.

Darkblue
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I will not give up my two cups of hot tea in the morning--caffeine, real sugar, skim milk. Total calories are only about 50-60, depending on the size of the mugs.

I have given up sodas, chocolate, hot yeasty rolls, real mayo, etc, and not missed it. But I will not give up my tea.

blondebritbrat17
06-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Ooh this is a good thread.

1. My ONE diet coke for the day- this is a switch from having about 4 regular cokes a day. I have tried to cut out diet coke also but just cannot do it for some reason and I get caffeine withdrawal and migraines.

2. Meat- I am TRYING to cut back on red meat- we eat waayy too much of it I think and am about to try to do more fish twice a week for dinner mostly since I'm so sick of chicken lol.

3. I really like white potatoes and white rice. Working on switching to more brown stuff.

4. Fat Free products-I'm really picky about what FF products I do eat. They have to taste good.

thesusanone
06-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd give up any food if I felt that it was interfering with my weight loss. I would definitely do almost anything to get my weight down. Within reason of course. If I think a food is a trigger food, I won't buy it. Even if it's fairly low calorie. I don't want to get in to the binging behavior at all. But if there is something I have a little of, and it is not a trigger food, then it probably won't affect my weight loss adversely. I hope that when I am trying to lose the last few pounds, that I can use extra exercise to keep the scale moving down. Same goes with maintenance. But if it comes to the point that I have to cut out those couple of bites of something to lose or maintain, I'd do it.

UrsusMaritimus
06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Two things I must have on a semi-regular basis:

1) Fresh buffalo mozzarella
2) Ice cream

I used to have ice cream almost every night. In the past two weeks I've had two small portions. I'm very proud of that!

All other foods are negotiable.

preetyladyserenity
06-29-2008, 06:20 AM
I can't give up two things. One is chocolate. However I turned from someone who used to it two every day to one once a week. The other thing I cannot give up is the traditional full-fat yogurt in Cyprus. I love it to pieces, but to be honest I don't eat it in every meal but only when I really crave for it.

aphil
06-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Red wine and dark chocolate. Non-negotiables for me :)

These are the same for me. I have a glass of wine a couple of times a week, and it is red 90% of the time...I use portion control, and I make sure that I get *good* stuff.

But potatoes aren't unhealthy. Even white potatoes. They are full of vitamins. Potatoes get a really bad rap and I hate to see it continued here. A potato cannot possibly be classed in the same category as refined flour.

I agree. Potatoes are a natural food, and I love a nice baked potato. They are not in the same category as white rice, and refined white flour and simple sugars. I think the issue with potatoes is what people tend to DO to them-tons of butter and sour cream, mashing them with milk and butter, scalloping, and french frying them...

sm177
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
peanut butter! only now i eat it with a spoon and skip the bread.

JayEll
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
sm177, :wel3fc:

Jay

yoyonomoreinvegas
06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Bacon for Sunday breakfast - except now it's 2 or 3 slices (depending on how thick they are) instead of 1/2 a package :o

And the occasional cocktail :D I did give up beer (ouch!) but I still like to have a glass of wine if I'm out to dinner or a vodka on the rocks for social situations. Helped a lot that I made my hard and fast rule that for every "adult" beverage I have, I have to drink 16 oz of water before I can even think of ordering another. Most of the time I end up so full from the water I never get the second cocktail even if I've planned for it.

Glory87
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
I gave up a lot of stuff - like fast food and sugary soda.

Things I can't give up:

Dark chocolate
Peanut butter
Red wine
Weekly nice dinner in a restaurant (try to stay out of the bread basket, 1 glass of wine, split dessert)