Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  
Bye Bye Big Butt

S/C/G: 158/145/130

Height: 5'4

Default FitDay or DailyPlate?????

I am ready to start journaling, but I want to start with a good online program(free) which do you guys think is best? I have been reading several posts and many are split between FitDay or DailyPlate. Or are there others you would recommend? Let me know. I really want to start fresh tomorrow.

Last edited by MercerMom; 06-27-2008 at 05:30 PM.
MercerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

I like myfitnessplan - it's really easy to use, but haven't tried the others.
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/143/129

Height: 5'4

Daily plate is newer and they seem to have some bugs in their program. Unless , I am using it incorrectly it seems like I have to go and search for the foods that I ate the previous day for that day also. Fitday, has a record of what you had the day before in the drop down menu. Visually, I like daily plate but I ended up sticking with using Fitday. They are both free so....

Last edited by Cmint; 06-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Cmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Nutridiary is also pretty good . . . you can add whole meals to it and it will remember them for you.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmint View Post
Daily plate is newer and they seem to have some bugs in their program. Unless , I am using it incorrectly it seems like I have to go and search for the foods that I ate the previous day for that day also.
Over on the right side of the page (when you're looking at your menu for the day), there is a search of foods you've used previously. I use this a LOT to find foods. It's called "what I eat often," but I think it includes every food you've ever logged, whether it was "often" or just once or twice. When you type in a word there, it gives you all the foods you've logged with your search word in the title or brand. I find this VERY helpful.

I used to use FitDay. Then I found The Daily Plate. I've NEVER gone back to FitDay simply because TDP has a much larger foods database that includes restaurants, brand names, and even some recipes. I remember in FitDay, "grilled chicken breast" was not an option. That bugged the crap out of me Also, I had to play with my search words--for instance, if I put in "strawberries," I wouldn't get results because it was actually listed as "strawberry" (or vice versa). Very frustrating to me. I used FitDay for over a year and had gotten used to a lot of the quirky search terms, plus I had entered a lot of my own custom foods, but I still liked TDP a lot more and have now been using that for over a year.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #6  

I've been doing dailyplate for a couple weeks now. I joined fitday and sparkpeople, but didn't find them as easy to use. It's actually been pretty easy to keep it up to date.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #7  

I'm a long-time FitDay fan. While I use the paid version (software on my computer vs. accessing the internet site), I'm sure the free version is just as good.

Peace.

Susan
susannyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
... I found The Daily Plate. I've NEVER gone back to FitDay simply because TDP has a much larger foods database that includes restaurants, brand names, and even some recipes. I remember in FitDay, "grilled chicken breast" was not an option. That bugged the crap out of me Also, I had to play with my search words--for instance, if I put in "strawberries," I wouldn't get results because it was actually listed as "strawberry" (or vice versa)
As someone who used to work in databases, FitDay annoyed the ever living ... ahem ... out of me. It has a really bad database structure and is really hard to find food. Not being able to find a simple chicken breast annoyed me, too!

I much much much prefer DailyPlate.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Only wee little thing I don't like about dailyplate is that it doesn't recognize typos when searching the database. I'm not sure if any of the other sites are better about that. I guess maybe I should just learn how to spell....
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I find dailyplate SOOOOOOO confusing.

I find sparkpeople and myfitnesspal pretty decent, they seem to have all the food I eat already entered and members can add their own stuff and share... sparkpeople is a little more finished by i find myfitnesspal has more food
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #11  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

I have signed up for fitday,but found it annoying..I just signed up 3 days ago on dailyplate and LOVE IT
snapplegirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #12  

I vote dailyplate. I tried a couple others, but dailyplate was best for me. I think you should try out a couple and see what you like.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What is it about DailyPlate that you find confusing. I honestly find it the easiest and least confusing option out there. The database is extremely large and it's super easy to look up a food and add it to your plate.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote