Nutrition and Labeling - Do you love Mango?

View Full Version : Do you love Mango?

luckymommy
06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey fellow chicks,

I just wanted to let you know that I just love magoes! Crazy, huh? I was feeling an impulse to binge (PMS related) and I decided to have a mango. Now, I'm feeling better and no longer want to binge. I checked the calories and it's only 135 for a large mango without the skin. Who the heck eats the skin? :dizzy:

Anyway, doesn' anyone else feel this way? Just wondering!

JulieJ08
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

PhotoChick
06-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Mmmmm mangoes.

I chop up fresh ones and put them in my morning yogurt sometimes.

Wow. Now I'm drooling. :)

cephalopod gal
06-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I. LOVE. Mangos.

And that is an understatement..... :)

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I love, love, LOVE mangos. They are PHENOMENAL.

I love to make a salad with them. A little bit has such strong, wonderful flavor and goes very far, cubed in a salad that I make once a week. With greens, strawberries, red onion, mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts, bell peppers and balsamic vinegar

junebug41
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I love, love, LOVE mangos. They are PHENOMENAL.

I love to make a salad with them. A little bit has such strong, wonderful flavor and goes very far, cubed in a salad that I make once a week. With greens, strawberries, red onion, mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts, bell peppers and balsamic vinegar

MMMM! that salad sounds incredible!

I love mangos, too. I make fruit salads with it a lot- mango, apple, orange, strawberry, with a little cinnamon. I also love them plain. They have such a unique flavor and texture that they are easy to enjoy solo.

nelie
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I love mangoes too but I generally don't eat them very often because of the price. Costco does carry them so it helps and the Asian market carries the yellow mangoes which are also not too expensive. Growing up in California, mangoes were cheap though.

marbleflys
06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I love mangos also, but they are such a PIMA to cut and peel properly...any tips before i slice my finger off?

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
How to slice a mango:

http://veganyumyum.com/2007/02/how-to-slice-a-mango/

And Nelie, funny enough, what with skyrocketing produce prices, I've been getting mangos now for several months from anywhere from $1.00 to about $1.29, which I think is pretty reasonable.

WarMaiden
06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Mango Salsa

Mix in smallish bowl:

1 ripe mango, cubed (and let the juice drip in the bowl as you're cubing, if you can!)
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Red pepper flakes or minced fresh chile pepper to taste

Enjoy with chips or veggies. YUM.

This weekend I'm planning to make a Brazilian Black Bean Soup which has mango and other good stuff in it.

Tomato
06-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I love mango myself (actually, when I was signing up with 3FC, I was thinking of using Mango as my handle, and then I settled on Tomato). :-)
I had the yellow ones for the first time this past weekend. At the farmers' market, they have a good price on the whole box, but as a single person, I can't buy that, so I keep buying them one by one.

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Cucumber, Mango and Red Onion Salad

This recipe serves: 4
Preparation time : 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (I use about 3 kirybs and dice them instead of slicing
1 mango, pitted and cut into large dice (I dice the mango small)
1 red onion, sliced into thin rounds (I chop the onion)
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt to taste
3 tablespoons cilantro

Cooking Instructions
1. Place the cucumber, mango and red onion in a medium bowl.

2. Season to taste with the lime juice and salt.

3. Garnish generously with cilantro leaves.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 0 about 1/2 cup

Amount Per Serving

Calories 57

Protein 1 g

Total Carbohydrate 14 g

Dietary Fiber 2 g

Soluble Fiber 1 g

Insoluble Fiber 1 g

Sugar 10 g

Total Fat 0 g

Ruthxxx
06-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Now I'm drooling! Mango has to be my favourite tropical fruit. When they are on sale around here - 79 cents is good - I stock up on an assortment and eat them as they ripen. I've discovered the smell is the key to ripeness.
By the way, Fitday says 135 calories for a mango but they're worth it!

LLV
06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll tell you what's good - stick them on the grill. Grilled mango slices are fantastic.

WebRover
06-27-2008, 07:57 PM
This weekend I'm planning to make a Brazilian Black Bean Soup which has mango and other good stuff in it.

Please don't tease us like this without giving the recipe. :^: This sounds awesome. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

grneyedmustang
06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
/totally off topic

This thread title sounds like the name of a new reality TV show, LOL.

mazza
08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I think calories depend on how much the mango weighs - how big it is.
They are 54 calories per 100gms.

PLUS they are negative calorie! Which is awesome. (negative calorie meaning they burn more calories to digest than they have - for those who don't know).
This really surprised me but I was glad to hear it.

SunshineCA
08-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Another mango junkie here! :wave:

spinky
08-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I buy mango juice and mix it with orange juice. Delicious! I also mix mango/orange juices with cranberry juice. They're all good for you and wonderful with breakfast or evening.

mazza
10-15-2008, 06:02 PM
YUMMMMM!!!! I love mangoes! :D

Glory87
10-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I used to get a great red lentil and mango stew from Au Bon Pain - I wonder if the recipe is online anywhere? Off to google.

ToutDeSuite
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I do, I do! But how does one pick a ripe mango? Anyone know?

luvja
10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I do, but only cause I spent a lot of time in Jamaica. Mango tree's everywhere :) Sitting on the beach and eating a fresh mango, It was really lovely. Once I got home and went to the grocery store and bought some, I noticed that they just aren't as good as they are in Jamaica... I still buy them the odd time.

Glory87
10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I do, I do! But how does one pick a ripe mango? Anyone know?

Slightly yielding to the touch, they should smell great.

mazza
10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
And also not be green - nice and yellow (or even slightly red, depending on the species).

its4me
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I really haven't eaten many mango's. With all these suggestions I am going to have to start.

kittycat40
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=WarMaiden;2241750]Mango Salsa

Mix in smallish bowl:

1 ripe mango, cubed (and let the juice drip in the bowl as you're cubing, if you can!)
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Red pepper flakes or minced fresh chile pepper to taste

QUOTE]

I do mango chutney with mango, jjalepino pepper, garlic and lime. Eat with pork chops. yum.

TammySmiley
10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I love mango juice mixed with yogurt - very smooth, calming drink.

modcat44
10-27-2008, 09:55 PM
:thanks: everyone for the yummy recipes! I love them as well, and have noticed they are cheaper and much more in evidence since moving to California. mmmm!

Thanks also for the info about the "negative" calories......:)