WW Clubs and Groups - Any other nursing mommies?

View Full Version : Any other nursing mommies?

alwe74
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
I started back on WW 6 weeks ago after having my baby(now 10 months). I am doing the flex program for nursing mothers but so far the weight loss has been VERY slow (about 1/2 lb. a week). Are there any other nursing mothers out there? Are you having good results?

luvmyfam
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
I think .5 lbs/week loss is still good, especially if it's consistent.

Here in Northeastern PA, there has been a regional weightloss program running, called the Million Pound Meltdown:https://myhealth.bcnepa.com/

I haven't been updating there as I should, but when I signed up, my recommended weight loss actually was .5 lbs/week, and I'm not even a nursing mom anymore. Perhaps the loss is supposed to be slower for you because of the demands on your body right now, you know? The good thing is that it IS coming down for you.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has input on this. I hope to have more children and I know I will go back to WW (if needed) if we do have more children. I breastfed both kiddos for extended times (age 2.5 - 3 for DS, 3 - 3.5 for DD) and would plan on breastfeeding any other children we'd have if we are so blessed.

alwe74
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
You're right .5 lbs. isn't too bad. I'm definitely eating healthier. I was just hoping for 1-2 lbs. I did read somewhere (not sure where) that if you lose more than 2 lbs. a week, your body detoxes and that can affect breastmilk. I'm thinking that once I'm done breastfeeding, the weight will come off easier.

klawster
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
i too am a nursing mom of a three month old....i would love to keep in touch with you to keep you motivated...i know i would love someone like myself to do the same...

keep it going

klawster:)

alwe74
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
It would be great to have someone else out there doing what I'm doing. Nursing brings all new challenges to weight loss. Besides trying not to lose too fast and making sure you eat all of the right foods, there's the time constraints to find time to exercise.

lofgrenb
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi I'd love to join... I'm pumping for a 3 month old who was in the NICU... still trying to nurse but mostly pumping and meeting his needs over 100%... tons frozen... LOL I'm a 34 G and having a hard time getting back into running. Bought a new running bra and hope it helps. Started weight watchers 3 days ago... hoping for good results!!! :carrot:

alwe74
07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi there lofgrenb. Glad to have you here. WOW 3 months pumping!! Keep up the good work. I had to pump for about 6 weeks before my little guy got the hang of it but he was never in NICU. That was probably the hardest 6 weeks of my life. Good Luck to you and your little one.

Where did you get your running bra? I've been looking for a good sports bra (I'm a 42G).

Jennie527
07-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I too have a 10 month old that I am nursing and I just started weight watchers. I just finished up Day 3 and have only dipped into 1 of my allowance points. I really hope this is the plan that finally works for me.

lofgrenb
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
alwe74 - hey bought an ENELL bra... posted on a running forum and was recommended... it DOES work but it sure does mash them flat. I've had mastitis twice so when I wear it I freak out if I don't get the girls out quick I'll get a plugged duct. Pumping is hard work. My goal is to stop in October. 3 more months... If I don't make it I'm happy I've done it this long.

I had a bad week last week on the plan. I basically fell off and gained back a lb. Trying to get back on track today... though Monday was my weighing in day.

I need accountability!

Hey Jennie!

I hope maybe if I did quit pumping maybe he COULD nurse now? WE do a little of both ... but he didn't even start nursing until he was about 10 weeks old... (today 14 weeks)... :)

alwe74
07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
lofgrenb-Thanks for the info on the bra. I will have to check it out.

Hopefully your little guy will get the hang of nursing. Even if he doesn't, I commend you for pumping for so long. When I went back to work my supply really dropped with pumping so my little guy has had to have both breast milk and formula since he was about 2 mo. However I am still BFing at 11 mo. and he has not had one ear infection and has hardly been sick so I guess it's still worth it.

Welcome Jennie527. I hope WW works out for you!

Jennie527
07-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks! :)

Lofgrenb- Pumping is VERY hard work. I did it for 10 months with my daughter. I decided that come **** or high water I was nursing this baby because I didn't want to have to deal with that again!

If you find that you aren't losing enough weight you may need to shave off a couple points every day. The # they give you isn't set in stone. Everybody is different. So long as you aren't losing more than 1.5 pounds a week (because you are a nursing mom) you can shave off a few points here and there to help speed along your weight loss.

lofgrenb
07-19-2008, 03:42 AM
I need to really get disciplined... I think if I could stick to the points and not do the extra weekly ones that I would lose faster... Had a stagnant no loss week :(

Pumping is hard... I think I have thrush AGAIN.

alwe74
07-19-2008, 01:28 PM
OOOH. I had thrush on and off (mostly on) for about the first 6 months. It was awful! Hopefully it will clear up. I don't know if you've checked, but there is a lot of good advice about it on the la leche league website.

lofgrenb
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I've been to LLL website but didn't search around for the thrush issue. I've been taking diflucan this time...

I'm going to get really strict on the plan starting tomorrow. I know it was another no loss week, but I ate a ton and didn't track every single point.

Should nursing mothers drink more than 8 glasses a day?

lofgrenb
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
And any mom that nurses for any length of time... I commend you. it's hard. I know pumping is harder, but it's all I know and I still crave the chance to BF for real?

alwe74
07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Should nursing mothers drink more than 8 glasses a day?

I think 8 glasses is what most people need. I can't remember where I read it, but I think you're supposed to add the amount of oz. you are pumping/nursing to the 8 glasses. For example, if you are supposed to drink 8 glasses, that equals 64 oz. If you are pumping/nursing 24 oz. you need to add that to 64 oz. so you would need to drink 88oz.

I know that I had supply issues when I went back to work and had to pump. Drinking more water helped my milk supply immensely.

lofgrenb
07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh my goodness.... I drink a measley 48 oz a day and pumping 30 oz. Terrible. I will work on that...

pooka1978
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I think the other posters are right, .5 lb/wk is a really great weight loss. I can't wait to start WW again, I just had a LO on 6/24 so i'm not eligible to resume WW yet. Keep your head up and be proud of what you have lost. Think, at least you haven't gained .5 lb every week, right :-)

crazy4weightloss
07-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I am an extended nurser so my baby is 2 yrs old. I was nursing the first time I lost all my weight too. As far as thrush, been there several times. Try this too http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

crazy4weightloss
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi there lofgrenb. Glad to have you here. WOW 3 months pumping!! Keep up the good work. I had to pump for about 6 weeks before my little guy got the hang of it but he was never in NICU. That was probably the hardest 6 weeks of my life. Good Luck to you and your little one.

Where did you get your running bra? I've been looking for a good sports bra (I'm a 42G).

the best bra by far I've had http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html I am running and the girls aren't going everywhere. I use to wear 2 to 3 sports bras. I am big chested too. Add almost 8 yrs of nursing in there and the girls just aren't what they use to be.

Jane
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
I've seen a thread elsewhere on the boards, but don't see a current one in WW Clubs. Hopefully, others will join you, because I think there are lots of breastfeeding mommies out there. Good luck!

Jane
08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi ladies,

This is a wonderfully supportive group, and since this has turned into a club, I've moved it to this section for you. Also, as you can see, I've merged a post from another WW, Pooka, that bf's. :)

lofgrenb
08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Well I haven't done well yet another week on points. One day I ate 63... just was so hungry. Yesterday I ate 40 I believe... trying to get it back down to about 35... Kinda hard to do!

Baby is nursing better though... he sure does make my supply go up more when he does it rather than the pump. I think my boobs are used to the pump at this point though.

:devil:

crazy4weightloss
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Well I haven't done well yet another week on points. One day I ate 63... just was so hungry. Yesterday I ate 40 I believe... trying to get it back down to about 35... Kinda hard to do!

Baby is nursing better though... he sure does make my supply go up more when he does it rather than the pump. I think my boobs are used to the pump at this point though.

Just keep putting him on the breast. The more you do it the more you two will get use to it. I never could pump, ever. Keep up the good work. As far as the points go maybe post your journal on here of what you are eating and maybe we can give you some advice. Hang in there.

alwe74
08-03-2008, 11:04 PM

I'm so glad that your babe is nursing better. It's such a wonderful experience. I'm impressed that you've been able to keep your supply up while pumping. When I first started out and all my babe would take was pumped, the nurse/lactation consultant told me that I probably wouldn't be able to keep up my supply without him nursing. (Boy did that lead to some major postpartum meltdowns:( )

I'm hitting the one year mark and I can't decide if I want to wean yet or not. I'm so used to doing it now that it's not really inconvenient anymore so I think I'll continue doing it for a while.

As far as WW goes, I have been completely AWOL. No meetings in 3 weeks, no journaling, nothing... I am going to face the music tomorrow at my meeting. Then I hope to get back on track.

alwe74
08-03-2008, 11:09 PM
crazy4weightloss: I just read the article you posted. It talks about grapefruit seed extract. That is the only thing that would work for me when I had thrush. I would apply it on my breasts as well as put a few drops in water and drink it (Warning: it tastes really nasty).

lofgrenb
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
alwe74 - I know how you feel... I do the online version but I've not been keeping up with what I am eating... not good. They always say you cant keep up with babys demand pumping, but I have been about 3 weeks or 4 weeks ahead of him for a long time... I can build up a day extra in 3 days... But I had a symphony pump and now a freestyle... ?

alwe74
08-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Well I had DS first birthday party today. I can't believe how fast time goes. I don't even want to count how many points I had today. Oh well it was fun. I'll just have to get right back on plan tomorrow.:broc:

Of course I have to weigh in tomorrow. I hate Monday weigh ins. I would rather weigh in on Fridays.

Hope the rest of you had a nice weekend!

alwe74
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Well my ds is now over a year old. I'm still bfing but in the last few days ds has decided to be a biter. He thinks it's funny :lol:, I do not. Anyways I would like to keep going but I don't know if I'll be able to with this (it really hurts). Has anyone else had to deal with this? Did you get past it or did you have to give it up?

lofgrenb
09-01-2008, 03:40 PM
i read one mom say to say no and remove the nipple frm his mouth then try again.... its got to hurt tho!!!! :?:

alwe74
09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I think DS is teething. He has stopped biting the last couple of days. Hopefully he won't start it back up again. It really hurts!!!

Snoopysgirl
09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Can I join in? I just joined weight watchers last week and I can't believe it-- I lost 4.8 pounds this week!:carrot: I have tons of points and I divide them up through the day so it seems like I am eating fairly often. It is nearly too good to be true.. I hope it lasts! I am here looking for some ideas for menu planning.

crazy4weightloss
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Well my ds is now over a year old. I'm still bfing but in the last few days ds has decided to be a biter. He thinks it's funny :lol:, I do not. Anyways I would like to keep going but I don't know if I'll be able to with this (it really hurts). Has anyone else had to deal with this? Did you get past it or did you have to give it up?

All 3 of mine have done this. At a year I would say ouch that hurts mommy we don't bite and then set them down. They get the idea. My dd was 2 in June and still nursing 3 times a day. She's my last child so its bitter sweet.

crazy4weightloss
09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Can I join in? I just joined weight watchers last week and I can't believe it-- I lost 4.8 pounds this week!:carrot: I have tons of points and I divide them up through the day so it seems like I am eating fairly often. It is nearly too good to be true.. I hope it lasts! I am here looking for some ideas for menu planning.

Welcome.

alwe74
09-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Welcome Snoopysgirl.

Thanks for the advice Crazy4weightloss. Whenever he teethes he bites, after he's done he stops. I know what you mean by it being bittersweet. Everybody keeps asking me when I will start weaning (He is only nursing twice a day on days I work and 3 times a day on days I'm home). I'm not really ready to give it up yet. He's 13 months old now and has only had 3 small colds and ZERO ear infections since he was born. That's with being in daycare as well. Obviously nursing has been good for him so I will keep doing it.

Snoopysgirl
09-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Welcome Snoopysgirl.

Thanks for the advice Crazy4weightloss. Whenever he teethes he bites, after he's done he stops. I know what you mean by it being bittersweet. Everybody keeps asking me when I will start weaning (He is only nursing twice a day on days I work and 3 times a day on days I'm home). I'm not really ready to give it up yet. He's 13 months old now and has only had 3 small colds and ZERO ear infections since he was born. That's with being in daycare as well. Obviously nursing has been good for him so I will keep doing it.

I hope your little one decides to stop biting soon and you ROCK for keeping your committment to provide your son with a really excellent gift by extended nursing, IMO. I hope to make it to at least 2 years with my LO. I made it beyond the 2 yr point with a few of her sibs.. my 4th wasn't much of a nurser and I was really sad when she weaned early b/c I know how good the breastmilk is for them (and when you consider how much we DONT know about how good it is for them.. I wonder what we will discover in say, 20 years??)

:hug: to keep on keepin on and non biting thoughts your way ((((()))))

alwe74
09-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the support snoopysgirl. It's amazing how much your attitude/opinion about breastfeeding changes when it's your own. My mom nursed my younger brothers until they were between 18 mo. and 2 yrs. and I always thought she was weird for doing it. Now I understand why she did it and how she felt.

supertink
09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi, ladies! I'd love to join you guys; it's nice to find other nursing moms.

My son is 8 months old now and is getting his first teeth. Yes, teeth, two at the same time. :o He's always been kind of a biter but he hasn't done it recently. To get him to stop I did two different things: I would take him off the breast and say no, or I would put his face in my breast and say no. Not sure which one worked but he stopped! LOL

I know that when I was WOTH postpartum I only got to pump for 10 minutes 3 times a day. My supply dwindled to almost nothing. I've never had a good supply, unfortunately, even with ginourmous boobs. But we kept plugging away at it. Now he still nurses but we do give him solid foods in his mesh feeding bag.

As for weightloss, I started my second week (I'm doing flex from home). First weigh-in was yesterday and I lost 3.4 pounds. :)

Snoopysgirl
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
As for weightloss, I started my second week (I'm doing flex from home). First weigh-in was yesterday and I lost 3.4 pounds. :)

Welcome! My littlest one is about 8 months also. Good for you for having the determination to keep nursing despite supply issues; I am sure your son thanks ya for it :)

Awesome weight loss; isn't flex amazing?:D:carrot:

supertink
10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I rather like it. If I absolutely have to have something I have alloted the points for it. That way I can eat it and not end up bingeing because I couldn't have something.

alwe74
10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
To get him to stop I did two different things: I would take him off the breast and say no, or I would put his face in my breast and say no. Not sure which one worked but he stopped! LOL

Welcome supertink! I tried to put my little ones face in the breast but he just thought it was a joke and laughed at me. Now that his teeth are in he has stopped biting.(Thank goodness) Congratulations on the weight loss. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

supertink
10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Welcome supertink! I tried to put my little ones face in the breast but he just thought it was a joke and laughed at me. Now that his teeth are in he has stopped biting.(Thank goodness) Congratulations on the weight loss. Sounds like you are off to a great start!
He did the same thing as yours...thought it was funny!
Yeah, mine just started up again. He drew blood this morning! :(
Dh was like, "Wean him!" He's 8 months and I'm trying to go for a year so I'm determine to ride this through. I wanted to throw my laptop at dh for even suggesting it! :dizzy:

alwe74
10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
He did the same thing as yours...thought it was funny!
Yeah, mine just started up again. He drew blood this morning! :(
Dh was like, "Wean him!" He's 8 months and I'm trying to go for a year so I'm determine to ride this through. I wanted to throw my laptop at dh for even suggesting it! :dizzy:

I know what you mean. My husband said the same thing. I was lucky though. My little guy didn't even get teeth until 11 mos. I really wanted to nurse until 12 mo. Now we're at 13 and counting (mine has never drawn blood yet though, OUCH!) I figure I'll just keep going for a while till one of us decides to stop. Right now I'm just nursing a couple of times a day.

supertink
10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Man, he is whiny this past week! I don't know what's going on but he does nothing but whine. It's driving me nuts.
I feel like such a bad mom because I keep asking him to please stop whining! :(

alwe74
10-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Man, he is whiny this past week! I don't know what's going on but he does nothing but whine. It's driving me nuts.
I feel like such a bad mom because I keep asking him to please stop whining! :(

Is he teething again? I know my lil guy gets really whiny and clingy when he's teething.

supertink
10-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Is he teething again? I know my lil guy gets really whiny and clingy when he's teething.

His bottom two teeth have broken through but I don't see any top ones yet. Will he be whiny and clingy until his teeth are all the way in? :(

alwe74
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
His bottom two teeth have broken through but I don't see any top ones yet. Will he be whiny and clingy until his teeth are all the way in? :(

Hopefully he won't. My little guy has good days and bad days. He just got his two top teeth a couple of weeks ago and already he's starting to get the other two top teeth. Yesterday he was really cranky but today he did fine. Usually once they break through they are fine. He did get his top teeth right after his bottom teeth.

supertink
10-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Ow. :(

He seems to be acting a bit better these past two days. :sssh:

pooka1978
10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes! definitely drink more than that to help keep you supply up! Also, make sure that you are getting 3 servings of dairy a day. I notice that if I haven't had at least 96oz. of water during a work day I have a hard time having enough milk to keep my baby full. I pump twice at work and then nurse as soon as I get home, its exhausting but I would trade it for the world, and I feel luck that I am able to do it.
Lofgrenb-I hope that you can get through the thrush okay! That totally stinks!

Floprieto
10-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey ladies!

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your success with the program. My son is 2 weeks old and I am Exclusively Breastfeeding. I would like to lose some weight and also eat healthy, which I know i am not doing. i have already lost all my prego weight but for 5 pounds... Now I need to tackle the previous weight.

I was wondering what kind of results you all obtained. How many pounds? Is it hard to follow? Do they give you guidelines or is it just: "you have so many points for today, eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your points"...

Do you do meetings or online?

Thanks a bunch

supertink
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Let me see if I can take this one question at a time. :)

Hey ladies!

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your success with the program. My son is 2 weeks old and I am Exclusively Breastfeeding. I would like to lose some weight and also eat healthy, which I know i am not doing. i have already lost all my prego weight but for 5 pounds... Now I need to tackle the previous weight.
Congratulations! My son is almost 9 months old (he was born Jan 24th).

I was wondering what kind of results you all obtained. How many pounds?
So far I've lost 18. Still have 45 to go.

Is it hard to follow? Do they give you guidelines or is it just: "you have so many points for today, eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your points"...
Well, I try to make sure I do eat fruits and veggies but it's essentially eat whatever. I make sure that if I want something I allot the points for it; makes it easier to stay OP.
Do you know what your Points allowance is?

Do you do meetings or online?
I do it at home.