Weight Loss Support - *cry*

View Full Version : *cry*

Missakay
06-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Dear ladies,

I am an addict.....I love foooddd!! My appetite is way out of control.....I almost gave in and bought some diet pills....to try to help!! I feel so weak because I have no will power!! I drink water.......soooo much water! Am I just lazy.....crap!! :tantrum:

luckymommy
06-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I love food. I'm truly addicted. It is really hard to give advice because I sort of got back on track by accident. I went to South Beach, FL over Spring Break with my family and I felt like a whale. I didn't feel human. Perhaps it was my "rock bottom?" Anyway, I binged the whole time I was there (as usual), out of desperation and unhappiness. Every store I walked into, I was treated like a low-life...or maybe that's just how I perceived it. Anyway, when I got back home, I was very depressed about myself. It took me a couple of days, but I decided to stop the insanity of the binging and gaining more and more weight. I t
ake it one day at a time and I just start doing what I know I need to do. I count calories and I work out every single day of the week. If I don't work out, I can't stay on my plan. On some days, mhy workouts might be lighter than others, but I still need to keep active on all days. To get through the cravings, I drink Fuze, chew gum, eat some veggies, distract myself, make phone calls, etc. It is not easy, but it's easier than when I first started. Most of me loves my new frame of mind, but a part of me misses the binges. HOwever, I remember that out of control feeling and I"m terrified to get it back. I did fall off the wagon a few times, but I got right back on. You gotta start small, check in with this board often and hang in there. Figure out which plan would fit your lifestyle the best and go for it. YOU CAN DO IT! Just about everyone on here has felt the way you do. Make a decision to commit to this and be consistent. It's not about will power because most of us don't have it. That's why we lean on eachother and take small steps. Don't think of big goals. Make them small, but do it. What's the alternative? Being unahappy with yourself? Start right now. Don't wait for a Monday, or for a morning or for a New Year's Day. Do it now and never look back. Just look at the road ahead of you, one step at a time.

JayEll
06-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey Missakay, tell us a little more about what you're doing, food-wise. Are you following any specific plan? Are you counting calories? What would the plan be for a typical day?

Maybe we can make some suggestions...

Jay

jamsk8r
06-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Try cutting back on carbs, sugar and sodium, as much as possible. Those are usually the culprits when you've got cravings. Eating more protein, and eating frequently (every 2-3 hours) helps also. I started taking protein powder for weight lifting, to get my protein up, and I have to say, that stuff fills me up for a long time, and keeps me from going mental on something I don't need, especially after a workout. I've heard that Vitamin B helps, also, though I don't have first-hand experience with that one. Mainly, when you cut the junk out, that's 99% of the battle right there. You'll get a handle on it! :hug:

Missakay
06-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I am cutting calories and staying away from soda......but I love bread....it is my weakness! I workout 3 to 5 days a week and I walk my dog at least 3 or 4 times a day!!

I was doin so good then I got a new job and fell off wagon!!

Im sick of the yoyo!! sorry about the ranting...... Im soo frustrated and being over weight...makes me not want go out in public! I went to buy a bathing suit and started crying in the dressing room!! I hope I have hit rock bottom so maybe I can stick to a plan!!

I want a magic pill to stop me from eating junk food or a magic will power pill!! LOL

PhotoChick
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately thre is no magic pill. I so wish there was. :)

The thing that I have found works best for me is planning. I plan my meals and snacks for the week on Sunday evenings. Yeah, I vary sometimes but mostly once it's planned, I find it much easier to not be tempted.

I also ... and most people here have heard this as my mantra before ... I quit thinking of going to the gym and eating healthily as an option. It's not an option. It just is. Like paying my bills, brushing my teeth, getting up in the morning and going to work. I don't have to like it or even want to do it. I just do it.

For me, taking the element of "should I" out of it has really helped. :)

tybeeanna
06-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Photochick That is a GREAT way to look at it... I told my husband I had only one pound to lose the next one. and as the saying goes K.I.S.S. keep it simple sweety

yoyomadness
06-25-2008, 12:40 AM
You mean... brushing my teeth isn't optional?

Oops.

PhotoChick
06-25-2008, 12:43 AM
You mean... brushing my teeth isn't optional?
Not if you had my mom (the dentist). Not only is brushing not optional - flossing, rinsing (with Listerine) and 6 month checkups aren't optional. :)

Ija
06-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Try cutting back on carbs, sugar and sodium, as much as possible. Those are usually the culprits when you've got cravings. Eating more protein, and eating frequently (every 2-3 hours) helps also. I started taking protein powder for weight lifting, to get my protein up, and I have to say, that stuff fills me up for a long time, and keeps me from going mental on something I don't need, especially after a workout. I've heard that Vitamin B helps, also, though I don't have first-hand experience with that one. Mainly, when you cut the junk out, that's 99% of the battle right there. You'll get a handle on it! :hug:

I second Cheryl's advice. When I cut back on the sugary, starchy and processed foods and incorporated more protein and fiber, my cravings and compulsive urges were drastically reduced. It took a while to detox, and I actually did it slowly and progressively, but I'm at the point now where I don't feel strong urges to eat unhealthy food (unless it's right in front of me, of course!) :hug:

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I feel so weak because I have no will power!!

Ahhh, but it's not about willpower. It's about willingness.

What are you willing to do to get to your goals? Just how hard are you willing to work? How far are you willing to go to get what you want? What are you willing to give up - in order to gain?

I am an addict.....I love foooddd!!

I love food too!! And believe that I was/am/was addicted to it. But like all addicitons, think alcoholisim, drugs, cigarettets, they CAN be managed. And I believe the best way to do that is to give it up entirely (the bread that you love and the other carbs). At least initially. Until you gain control. I simply could not have it both ways, those carbs in my life and BE fit, healthy and trim. After a rough 10 days or so, like all addictions, it got much, MUCH easier. It was the best decision I've ever made. And of course I can kick me for not doing it sooner. I believe you will feel the same exact way.

I hope I have hit rock bottom so maybe I can stick to a plan!!

Find a plan, MAKE a plan that you CAN stick to. Plan ahead. Good healthy, nutritious, satisfying DELICIOUS meals. Know what you will eat in advance. Every, meal, snack and morsel that goes into your mouth.

Good luck to you and please know, that everyone and anyone CAN lose weight. It IS a doable thing. Make the commitment to do so. You won't regret it. Not for a teeny, tiny second.

As far as loving food. Well, my tastes have changed! I now love, love, LOVE the foods that I am eating now. Probably more so then the garbage I was eating prior. Getting rid of the junk woke up my tastebuds to the wonderful, natural foods that the good earth provides.

Michelle125
06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
My roommate is a size 4, and LOVES food. She eats everything. She's a teacher and she downs all the goodies people bring in and leave in the faculty room (or classroom, lol). She keeps junk around and leaves a bowl of chocolate kisses on the kitchen table as decoration (and occasional snacking). I was talking to her the other night about it, and she said, "I could never diet. I'm addicted to food and can't deprive myself. So I just work out harder. But," she continued, "when I eat a brownie, I only have one, maybe two. I can't eat the whole pan. [my boyfriend] can eat the whole pan. I could never do that, physically. After one or two, I'm good."

What she said definitely stuck with me. Why do we (most of us here, including myself) feel the need to eat the whole pan of brownies when we do have one? Shouldn't our bodies naturally savor and enjoy one or two, then be done with it? I think our bodies still have the capability to do this, it's just that with us, we push the feeling away.

I know you are following a diet, but maybe try also incorporating some "Intuitive Eating" into it? Like, if you want bread, and it's not in your plan for the day, maybe go ahead and just have it. But make sure it's a serving a girl who doesn't worry about weight would take. My roommate would most likely eat a slice or two of bread if she wanted it, not half the loaf. If you allow yourself to have the things your body craves, but in an amount you would eat when you are at goal weight, then you will relearn how to eat naturally. You are already working out like a fiend, and good for you!! So now you just need to heal yourself with overeating. You'll do fine- just get back in touch with your body, and try to ignore the emotions.

It's incredible- when I started realizing how much I relied on overeating at night when I'm by myself as entertainment, I was able to stop it. I think you'll be able to do the same!

Annita
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
the 1st thing i tried to do when i want to limit my hunger is, before eating, i drink 1-2 glasses of water, and i'll eat less than i use to, then right after eating, i'll drink 2 more glasses of water/tea.
Whenever i want to eat a snack (like cakes, sweets), i'll grab a fruit (actually, banana fits in this job really good because banana is sweet and it can fill my carve for sweet), OR, i'll eat an yogurt (my yogurt usually 100-130 cal/each - just make sure to count).
I usually use bowl to eat, a small bowl. For every meal, i usually eat 3 bowls. The small bowl gives me the quantity of bowl (3 bowls, sounds alot, right), and the lesser quantity i eat, and i will stick to that number no matter what.

Start by changing your small habbits, and build them up. I hope some of my tips can help u. Good luck :)

AJ113
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't want to sound negative but it all boils down to which one you want more - to eat or to lose weight. Try asking yourself that question the next time you are about to scoff something. You may be surprised at the result. As others have said, don't take this any more than one day at a time, otherwise you will demoralize yourself. Start tomorrow, just for one day, then see how you have done by the end of the day.

JayEll
06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey! :wave:

Cutting calories is good--but be sure you have a way to actually track your calories, such as a food journal or log, or an online tracker or program. It's easy to be off if you're guessing or trying to keep it in your head. Try visiting FitDay.com--good tools there for calorie counting.

Leaving out bread is one strategy, but clearly a hard one for you. You might do better by allowing "a" slice of bread every day (not 2, not 3, not more). :) A single slice of whole grain bread has something like 110 or 120 calories--quite manageable.

Good luck!
Jay

Glory87
06-25-2008, 10:39 AM
What she said definitely stuck with me. Why do we (most of us here, including myself) feel the need to eat the whole pan of brownies when we do have one? Shouldn't our bodies naturally savor and enjoy one or two, then be done with it? I think our bodies still have the capability to do this, it's just that with us, we push the feeling away.

I think some people are just genetically hardwired to eat more of high energy foods (the kind the body wants to store as food) as a survival mechanism that is sadly outdated in our culture.

I'm one of those people. When I eat something sweet (like candy) or carby (especially packaged baked goods like Oreos), I immediately want to eat another one. Even now, 4 years into my lifestyle change, it happens. Last night I was at the grocery store and the store had small bits of frosted sugar cookies as samples. I knew better, but I said "I'll just have one" and grabbed a tiny square of pink frosting deliciousness and kept walking. The ENTIRE time I was in the grocery store, I wanted more cookies. My body kept up an endless litany of one more, go get one more, how about one more on your way out?

I have ALWAYS been this way. If I eat an Oreo, while I have the first bite in my mouth, I want to stuff in more Oreo. It is a very weird feeling.

From a caveman survival perspective, it makes perfect sense. If you find a rotten log full of honey - you should eat as much as you possibly can. If your men bring home a mammoth, you can't just nibble a rib and say "oh my much too full to possibly eat anything else."

Now that I understand this about myself, I control it (heh most of the time) it does not control me. I control it by avoiding the foods that trigger me - that means I can never be an "intuitive eater" (sadly, I would love it!). Of course, I don't live my life without any candy, cookies or cake - but they are in careful situations, no tubs of ice cream at home, no big bags of cookies. I don't trust myself in any scenario where I have unlimited access to a trigger food. One scoop of Whole Foods gelato - okay. Splitting a dessert in a restaurant - okay. A single serving square of nice dark chocolate - okay. A bag of Hershey's Kisses? Uh no - and I understand that I can't trust myself with that for the rest of my life.

So, back to Missakay :) I hear you, I understand. I used to feel like I was completely at the mercy of my body's urge to eat. Looking at my body as a friend trying to HELP ME (eat eat eat, what if all the food goes away tomorrow?) rather than an enemy really helped me. My body just wants me to survive and up until 100 years ago (and even STILL sadly, in many parts of the world) people didn't get enough to eat all of the time. My body hasn't caught up to the year 2008 and big stocked grocery stores.

What really worked for me was eliminating (as much as possible) the foods that made me binge. I cut back on soda, fast food, white flour products, chips, pretzels, crackers, cookies, baked goods and packaged baked goods. I don't really miss those foods anymore, because I feel GOOD NOW. When I stopped eating all that sugar, other foods started to taste really good. Ripe blackberries, baked sweet potatoes, pineapple, whole grain toast with natural peanut butter - my NEW favorites that replaced muffins, scones, M&Ms and nachos. I still eat bread, but I try to only eat whole grain bread. I have become an EXPERT label reader! I also love other healthy complex carbohydrates like sweet potatoes, beans, quinoa and whole grain products like tortillas, pasta and pitas. I do carefully measure those servings though!

Another thing I think really helped me was eating a lot of super nutritious whole foods. I used to stand in front of the open frig a lot or randomly search through cabinets looking for something something something (I wasn't sure what), I stopped doing that. I think my old processed, junky diet just didn't give me the nutrition I needed and my body restlessly looked for it. Now, I eat healthy foods and I don't binge or pilfer the cabinets anymore.

I get hungry a lot too - I love food and I love eating. I plan to eat every 2-3 hours. I also really like the food I do eat. If there's a food I don't like (like cottage cheese) I just don't eat it.

Good luck, I know what it feels like to want to lose weight and feel out of control. It was amazing to me, how simply changing what I eat eliminated the out of control impulses and gave me the confidence that I could change.

wildthing
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Dont take diet pills. My pastor's wife told me about an easier and cheaper solution. If you by pure apple cider vinegar and drink it with 8 oz of liquid 3 times a day before your main meals it really helps. Its sound disgusting but I mix it with Diet Lipton White Tea and you cant even taste it. You just taste the tea. It really helps. You still get kinda hungry but its right before meal time and its completely manageable. You have to get unfiltered. I get BRAGGS. You can even by it online. You have to mix it with 8 oz though to dilute it or you are gonna be looking at tummy problems.

yoyonomoreinvegas
06-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I have ALWAYS been this way. If I eat an Oreo, while I have the first bite in my mouth, I want to stuff in more Oreo. It is a very weird feeling.

It is a wierd feeling isn't it? I had never recognized it before but the other day I got a little lax on my habit of reading the label of any "ready made" foods before I put it in my mouth and thought I would have a couple of reduced fat, 100% whole wheat Wheat Thins - sounds safe enough right?. I was only going to have a couple but before I knew it I had shoved in a whole handful and, even though I wasn't actually hungry, I had to fight with myself for a several hours to keep from going back for the whole box. I thought this was odd since I haven't had that problem with Trisquits - I can eat 2 and feel perfectly satisfied - so (as soon as I felt in control enough to pick up the box :D ) I read the label and discovered they contain high fructose corn syrup. I have avoided that particular ingredient from the very beginning of my journey and have been constantly surprised at how "bingeless" I've been able to be. So, to make a long story longer :o , I think it's important to learn not just the types of foods that are triggers but exactly what it is that's in those foods that sends us off on a feeding frenzy once we put that first bite in our body. For some people it might be processed sugar - maybe a cookie sweetened with honey is "put-downable" after a few bites, or maybe chips made with corn oil might send someone off the deep end while some chips made with canola oil make them happy after just a few. I really think just being able to feel like we are eating "like a normal person" makes it soooo much easier to stay OP (and avoid that self loathing and "oh forget the whole thing" attitude we all run into when we go overboard) so if we can find "normal" stuff that doesn't contain our trigger ingredient(s) we can increase our chances of long term (forever) success.

So, hang in there Misskay :hug: ! Even though you are angry and frustrated right now, don't give up! Make sure you praise yourself for successes - no matter how small they might seem (come here to brag too ;) ) I'm kind of a broken record on this point but one of the hardest things about getting healthier and losing weight is learning patience - You might have to try a few different things before you find what's going to work for you but, I think everyone here will agree, it is SOOOOOO worth the effort :)

Glory87
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah, Wheat Thins are a huge trigger. Also, Ritz Crackers. I had a Ritz Cracker episode last Wednesday. When I identify trigger foods, it's honestly easier not to eat the first one than to fight not to eat the second one.

WarMaiden
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm yet another person for whom a whole category of foods must not pass my lips lest I lose control. Sugar is the culprit for me. When I'm off sugar, I feel great, and eating healthy and losing weight is EASY. When I'm on sugar, I eat 99% crap, and feel crappy, and gain gain gain.

Knowing that, it's not really a hard choice to not eat sugar. Some people can control themselves and take small portions of sugary foods and be satisfied, but I cannot and will not ever be able to. Oh well--I'd much rather be healthy than eat sugar.

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Yumm... Wheat thins. & Ritz Crackers.

Yup, I'm best off not even starting with that stuff. Meg had a great line, which is sooo true -

"One cookie is too many and a dozen are not enough"

As far as so many of us feeling that need to just shovel food in our mouths, I think that's probably what sets us apart from the folks who have never been overweight. I've always felt that I just plain old wanted more then other people did. Which is why I have to count/track my calories. Listening to my body - nu-uh. Doesn't work for me.

I know many people that can stop easily at, if not one cookie, then 2 or 3, or maybe even 4. But not a whole row of oreos or whatever the item may be. They would never dream of eating that many. Like I said, they just don't want as much as I did.

NightengaleShane
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, I DEFINITELY understand. I always find myself wanting to eat everything until it's gone, unless it's something I don't particularily care for. I even do this with "healthy" foods. For instance, I had to stop buying Kashi GoLean crunch because I could never put the box down. I almost did this with Fiber One bars until... well... uhm, they have a lot of fiber, so I'm sure you can figure it out :o It was once a good idea for me to eat some natural peanut butter with whole wheat toast, but it stopped being so when I started eating it right out of the jar. Precooked chicken strips are even a trigger food, so I buy them raw and cook just enough for me to have a meal and freeze the rest.

I agree that some of us just want more food than other people. I personally just LOVE food and want to eat all the time. Part of it is genuine hunger (seriously, I DO feel that I am hungry more often than a lot of people) but the other part is just that I never, ever get tired of food. If I ate until I truly felt full, I'd be clutching my stomach in misery for hours later.

Don't cry out in frustration... if someone as awfully prone to binge eating as myself can still lose weight and keep it off, so can you :D And feel free to come here and brag about all the amazing weight loss accomplishments you'll make :) :hug: Hang in there.

Glory87
06-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I even do this with "healthy" foods. For instance, I had to stop buying Kashi GoLean crunch because I could never put the box down.

Oh yeah, I can easily do it with healthy foods too - nuts and trail mix are my healthy food triggers. I am usually okay with healthy foods, if I portion it in advance.

I ate an entire box of Kashi Go Lean Crunch in a day, I still remember it as Crunchgate 05. I was sick as a DOG that night. Don't try this at home, kids!

NightengaleShane
06-25-2008, 03:38 PM
:lol: Glory, that sounds like something I would do! (eat a whole box of Go Lean Crunch in a day)

Nuts and trail mix are healthy food triggers for me, too; if I am going to eat either, they are going to be in well-portioned zipper bags or individually wrapped. Purchasing an entire bag of trail mix will just make me eat all 6-9 servings in one sitting :o

I wish I could eat a cookie or two and completely stop, but I can't. I will eat them and eat them, and even though I'm doing so much damage to my body, I still can't stop. I love how everyone here on 3FC understands... I've tried explaining this to naturally thin people (most of my friends are naturally thin and eat whatever they want) and they just say things like, "But why can't you stop? It's not that hard to not eat an entire box of Oreos" or worse: "So what if you eat the whole thing... I've done that before... WHO CARES! Eating all of _____insert yummy trigger food here_____ isn't going to KILL you or anything! LIVE A LITTLE!"

Heather
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Another one who has certain foods I need to be careful around -- mostly sweets. One bite of sweet and I'm like Glory -- the food literally YELLS at me to have MORE. It really is easier not to have any. I've learned that I tend to cave under stress.

But anyhoo, missakay, as you can see you are not alone. Many of us have (mostly) successfully found tricks to deal with these "addictions" most of the time. But you really have to be willing to try. And then try again if you fail. And again. Learning from those mistakes helps too!

meggoat
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Glory87's before and after pics are really amazing! What an incredible story - thanks for sharing them - they are really inspirational; you look so much healthier and happier now - congratulations and thanks for encouraging everyone else trying to get to a healthier weight.

meggoat
06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Actually everyone's before and after pics are riveting - so many people feel that they can't make the changes necessary and give up/give in. You all prove that it can be done!
My brother is considering bariatric surgery because he thinks he can't lose any other way and you're here to say it's possible.
Thank you

rockinrobin
06-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Kashi Go Lean Crunch is off limits in my house. I was eating regular Kashi Go Lean for a long while and then found myself dipping back into the box once too often. So now, it's off limits too. The only cereal I can safely eat is Fiber One.

But funny enough, I have lots of other cereal in the house. For my kids. But you see the difference is, I don't even START eating those. They're off limits to me. They're not intended for ME. I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY stay away from those.

Gosh, I have issues. Oh well. :dizzy:

Heather
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Gosh, I have issues. Oh well. :dizzy:

Looks like you're not alone. Maybe we can make a club. Oh wait, this IS the club! :lol3:

rockinrobin
06-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh wait, this IS the club! :lol3:

Tis' a good thing too.

The more I think about it (and I should probably stop), just how insane is it that I can totally stay away from cereals that I know are not "earmarked" for me, ones that I really, really love - like LIFE & Honey Nut Cheerios & Frosted Flakes & & Raisin Bran Crunch & whatever other yummy cereal is on sale, yet I can easily overeat the ones that are "earmarked" for me?

Issues. Yup, I've got em'.

And Heather, don't think I've forgotten your "Ode to Cereal" or something like that, post . So, I know you CAN relate. Welcome to the club. ;) & :hug:

yoyoma
06-26-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't have a huge problem with sweets in general. I limit them to one small serving a day, because I don't want the empty calories, but aside from a few specific types, they aren't a trigger for me.

But I didn't even know Wheat Thins could be dangerous. A while ago I bought a box 'cuz I was trying to upgrade my daughter's snack nutrition. She liked them, but I ate most of the box. That was very unusual. We have a shelf full of savory and sweet snacks for her that I don't touch. I didn't learn my lesson. I bought another box. I'm not sure how many of those she got to eat, but not many. Now they are banned.

Heather
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Robin -- Ah yes, the Ode to Quaker Oat Squares (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114376). I had to ban them after their siren call would not leave me alone, despite not having touched them for over a year. I've flirted with Kashi Go Lean Crunch problems in the past, but have learned that when I'm on "inhale" mode, I'll eat anything... doesn't seem to matter what it is.

So, maybe I could bring back the Oat Squares, but I think I won't bother. Sometimes you just can't go home again. They are my past.

And I've also noticed that things in the house that aren't "mine" are much less of a problem. They just don't "call" to me in the same way... and I bet we aren't the only ones, too.