Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'5

Default Help...I cant get movatived!

I have lost all motavation on my diet.....I havent been to the Gym in a month and Im home this summer....I have tried to eat healthy but both me and my hubby have fallen of the diet wagon....Not my hubby as much....He lost 25 pounds in 5 months and looks great....I only lost 15 and cant get with the program....

I have stated writting down eveything that I eat and have been walking one hour each morning with the dog......I plan on getting back to the GYM but I cant seem to get going....

Any advice...

Maggie
spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #2  

Hey...from my experience, i think the hardest part is just going for the first time...after that it seems natural to go every day or every other day (depending on your regimen). you're home this summer- just like me! and it took me some time to realize that we're lucky because we have all the time in the world to go to the gym and we should be taking advantage of it. just force yourself to go that one time, and im sure after that it'll be easier for you. it'll be like that one push to get the boulder rolling down the hill
as for diet, make a pledge with your hubby that you will both hold each other accountable for proper eating. try it and see if it works- and if both of you are committed to that pledge that it should be enough to get both of you guys back on the wagon! good luck
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When your schedule changes it can be hard to shift the lifestyle with it! I have a very light summer schedule compared to the school year and do have to make a shift!

You've made a good start with the walking and writing everything down!

Can you make a plan for getting to the gym and then, as Nike says, "Just Do It"? You know you'll feel better when you do!

Other than weight loss, are there any goals you want to accomplish this summer? Maybe a health or fitness goal? Sometimes that helps me! Actually, setting goals for the number of minutes to exercise each month has been very helpful for me!

Last edited by Heather; 06-24-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Could you make a deal with yourself that you will go to the gym first thing in the morning, only for half an hour? That way, you get it done and over with and you don't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
How about a little reward? If I go to the gym 5x next week, I can buy myself a new Tshirt.
Something like that.
Good luck!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Something that really got me motivated when I started was that I took off all my clothes and really looked at myself in a full-length mirror. Frontways, sideways... And I told myself that that was not going to change for the better unless I did something about it.

I still do my mirror check, because I'm not done yet.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

I was kind of slipping myself (life and regular schedule a little disrupted at the moment and making it really easy to make excuses to skip the exercise) and thinking I would just sit where I am and try to maintain for a little while. Then, someone started an "I want" thread and it really reminded me of what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish, and reminded me that we really need to reaffirm our commitment out loud (or in writing) sometimes. IMHO, visiting 3FC fairly regularly - even if you don't always have time to post - can really help you stay focused. Think of all the NSVs and min-goals you want to be able to brag about
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #7  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I am sorry to hear what you are going through! I can honestly say I know what you mean but for some reason the most of my motivation this time around came from me taking lots of pics and looking at them. I could not stand looking at myself. Losing weight is one thing I have yet to accomplish since having my first child eight years ago. Start out light even if you have to walk for 15mins a day its a start and it helps. I walk for 45mins each day and I love it. Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

All good advice and I'm going to second this visiting 3FC fairly regularly Always encouraging!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You can't seem to get motivated. How about commited? Can you get commited - to a healthy lifestyle? That of good eating and exercising. Can you make a commitment, that no matter what you will make your health a number one priority in your life? That you will give yourself a chance at being the very best you that you can possibly be?

I've said this many times, motivatin is fine and dandy. But it is so darn fleeting and seems to fly out the window when we need it most. But once you make that all important commitment, that DOES stick around.

Decide once and for all just how badly you want to be a healthy weight and that you will do everything in your power to get you there. Make a plan and stick to it. You won't regret it for a single second. Best of luck to you.

And remember that you CAN do this. There's absolutely nothing stopping you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #10  
FB

I agree with Robin, commit to this! You can do it. When I lost my motivation I found my commitment. When my commitment flags I realize I have a backup - the power of habit.

Last edited by FB; 06-24-2008 at 12:27 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

If going to the gym seems like too much. Start with a walk. Just 10 minutes. Then the next day, maybe do a little longer. Baby steps.
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #12  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

My advice would be as far as exercise not to do too much too fast and burn yourself out. When I've had periods when I've stopped exercising, they've all been after trying to exercise every day, and whenever I see increases in what I can do it's always after a short rest. So give yourself those few days off a week. And remember, even when you don't seem to be making any progress you could be only one day away from a huge jump in ability/weight loss. You're building up so much stress now because you're not going to the gym and it's making you nervous- just go! It'll probably be a relief at this point, and it won't be nearly as bad as you've been building it up to be. Exercise is pretty frequently fun. If what you're doing isn't, at the very least consider adding another form which you enjoy more, even as little as going on a bike ride with a friend once in a while instead of jogging, because while you may stick to something you hate out of sheer pig-headedness you'll slip up a lot more than if you looked forward to your exercise sessions.

Writing down everything you eat is a good start- I think if you keep doing the work, and set a day just to buckle down then whether or not you accomplish it the first time you try, you will be able to get back on track. And similarly, give yourself a little bit of a break. As long as you don't go over your calories for the day, having ice cream once a week won't hinder you at all. It's a lot easier if you can let yourself eat the foods you like in moderation.

It's all about maintainability. Screwing up a little bit every once in a while isn't a problem. Everyone makes mistakes. You've already lost weight despite all that, and you should feel proud of that and keep going. Two steps forward and one step back is still one step forward!

Good luck!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone...Since moving to Sweden from California in 2005 Ive had a hard time getting movaited to lose weight....Then in March of this year my hubby and I joined weight watchers.....It has helped alot but since school and my work study ended for me last month Ive just been lost.....But Im going to make a commiment the go to the GYM 2-3 times a week....and take the dog for a hour walk each morning......I know that if I get into a retuine that when school starts up again in August I will be confortable with working out and will just have to change the time of day I go...

You all give me such inspration....Sorry my english is getting worse and worse the more swedish invades my brain

Maggie
spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

Just hearing how much weight people have been able to lose and seeing the before and after pictures can be very inspiring and motivating! It's really amazing to me that so many of you have been able to stay committed and make such impressive changes in eating and exercising. It makes me think I can do it too. Thanks,
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote