General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Angry Any chicks ever used Quinine for severe nocturnal leg craps?

Over the past year, I've been suffering from disabling and severely painful leg cramps.

I'd be sleeping peacefully, then all of a sudden I dive out of bed howling as I try to even straighten my leg. These cramps are worse than freaking labor pains - and usually last me anywhere from 10 minutes - 1 hour on the inner thigh of my legs.

Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes make me see stars and I fight from passing out from the pain. After more than 10 minutes of this and I'm in a LOT of pain the next few days in both legs (the one that was hurting, and the other from hobbling around trying to straighten my effected leg). When I get the pain the next day, it hurts to walk, to sit to stand etc.

This happens at least twice a week.

Then I got the annoying foot cramps. Where the foot will disform and twist and cramp up when I'm laying down. I have to walk around and around to get the darned thing to go away.

Sometimes it's just the toe or combination of toes.. they bend inwards at the knuckle and I have to try and walk on my tippy toes to try and get them to go back into shape.

I get at least one of these or a combo of them once per day the foot/toes usually happen before I go to bed. The inner thigh happens at night time either when I'm sleeping or being intimate.

SO I went to the doctor and explained it to him... and he prescribed Quinine Sulfate for me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has these nasty leg cramp problems and if quinine has helped.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 06-23-2008 at 10:09 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #2  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quinine for leg cramps. Never heard of that, then again I'm not a doctor.

I was given quinine in Peru because they thought I had malaria. It made me throw up and then I got a headache along with my malaria-like symptoms (turns out it was dengue). But, the quinine I got was from a dubious source.

What had always helped me out with leg cramps was increasing my potassium, like eating a banana, but yours sound far more severe than mine ever were. I hope the quinine works for you, that sounds awful.

Are you taking it in tablets or the injection?
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My DH (a type 1 diabetic) sometimes has bad leg cramps. He drinks tonic water, which he claims helps because of the quinine. I have no idea if it works or not - it couldn't have much quinine in it, could it? I have also heard that magnesium helps.

Good luck --- sounds very painful for you!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What about a baked potato or a banana? Usually (not always, but usually) nighttime leg cramps are due to a potassium deficiency. I'd try eating a banana in the evenings or incorporating other high potassium foods into your daily diet.

Failing that, def go see a doctor and get some tests done to see if you're deficient in any other vitamins.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
Quinine for leg cramps. Never heard of that, then again I'm not a doctor.

I was given quinine in Peru because they thought I had malaria.

Are you taking it in tablets or the injection?
I've been told by my Aussie neighbor that the main use is for Malaria but he had been prescribed it for leg cramps and it worked.

I have the tablets. Anyone coming near me with a needle will have their arm chewed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
What about a baked potato or a banana? Usually (not always, but usually) nighttime leg cramps are due to a potassium deficiency. I'd try eating a banana in the evenings or incorporating other high potassium foods into your daily diet.

Failing that, def go see a doctor and get some tests done to see if you're deficient in any other vitamins.

Potatoes and Bananas are staples in my house. I also drink a TON of water - more than usual lately in hopes it would help. I also take a daily multivitamin with an extra boost of vitamin C and Vitamin E

Last edited by tamaralynn; 06-23-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

My Dad has suffered similar leg cramps and also swears by the Tonic water as it contains quinine. So try the tablets and see if it works.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My remedy for nighttime leg cramps is a small can of V-8 juice before bedtime. If you want to avoid too much salt, use the low sodium version. I don't know why, but this works better than anything else I have tried (though I've never taken quinine).

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

I used to get leg cramps really bad (if they hit the hamstring the leg would be sore for 3 days). Then I started eating a banana with breakfast and haven't had a cramp since ::knocks wood:: Must be the potassium

Last edited by ANOther; 06-24-2008 at 10:55 AM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quinine is not available over the counter in the US--you have to have a prescription (but it is good for leg cramps). Tonic water has a very low amount of quinine in it and as I understand you'd have to drink several quarts a day in order to get the amount necessary to help leg cramps.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

My dad gets severe leg cramps at night & Quinine worked great for him. A few years ago, I found tablets OTC (in the US), but he didn't want them. I was really surprised to see them because I thought they had been "banned". And, by now they may not be available OTC.

He now drinks a small glass of warm salt water (like smaller than a juice glass) and swears by it. I think it has something to do w/the sodium-potasium balance in the body.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #11  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

If you have any faith in home remedies I might suggest you try a bar of soap under your bedsheets. I know it sounds crazy...I thought so too. Then I tried it and several others I know have tried it also. We all get results. Some very pronounced results and some lesser. It is worth a try. Read about it here, bottom of page.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/index.asp
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #12  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

In my family we call them "Charlie Horses" haha not sure why. But I get cramping in my calf muscle from time to time and I will fall out of bed in pain crying and screaming. But like everyone else said making sure you have enough potassium helps..Banana maybe vitamins. Sometimes to get it to stop I have to force my leg straight and maybe even stand on it.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
My remedy for nighttime leg cramps is a small can of V-8 juice before bedtime. If you want to avoid too much salt, use the low sodium version. I don't know why, but this works better than anything else I have tried (though I've never taken quinine).

Jay
What a great idea. I love V-8 too Will have to buy a bottle of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Quinine is not available over the counter in the US--you have to have a prescription (but it is good for leg cramps). Tonic water has a very low amount of quinine in it and as I understand you'd have to drink several quarts a day in order to get the amount necessary to help leg cramps.
I got a prescription from the doctor - they are not available OTC here in Calgary Even if they were, I still wouldn't touch it. with OTC Quinine, you don't know exactly what dosage you should take - and apparently there are some quinine products that cause more harm than good. Tonic water unfortunately makes me gag

Quote:
Originally Posted by suetalks View Post
If you have any faith in home remedies I might suggest you try a bar of soap under your bedsheets.
I've heard of that! Deffinately wont hurt to try

Charlie horses suck - unfortunately I almost never cramp in the calf - It's not nearly as painful as the inner thigh *ugh*