South Beach Diet - Is fiber one allowed?

View Full Version : Is fiber one allowed?

LucyFlicker
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I was wondering if plain regular fiber one cereal (not the fancy stuff) was allowed in phase 2? I know it is not whole grains but really just different kinds of fiber.

I love to add it to yogurt, smoothies, salads, etc.

I just bought the book today, but I will not be starting the plan until next monday.

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
The ingredients list corn bran as #1, corn starch as #2 and corn oil farther down the list. Sounds like a no-no to me. I never realized that it had so much corn in it.

cottagebythesea
06-24-2008, 07:16 AM
The regular Fiber One cereal is allowed on SBD for Phase 2. It is made from corn bran, not plain old corn, and that's a healthy, whole grain. Although it does contain cornstarch, it's just a minimal amount that doesn't really affect your blood sugar for most of us.

Ruthxxx
06-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Whew! I was just about to eat a breakfast of Fiber One, blackberries and yogurt!

LucyFlicker
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Hmm..
So the plain cereal is allowed as long as you understand and do not mind the little amount of cornstarch contained in it?

Ruthxxx
06-24-2008, 09:33 AM
You bet! I consider my berry, yogurt and Fibre One a "crunchy breakfast sundae". (It doesn't take much to make me happy. :lol: )

hmacneil6
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll use fiber one as a "pie" crust. I blend it w/ a little splenda and some good "butter" (can't think of the name). It works really well on the various pies in the recipe links.

Ruth - I also use crushed shredded wheat for a yogurt parfait topping. It also makes for a really nice crunch.

errantbehavior
07-24-2008, 01:22 AM
The Hungry Girl website has some great ideas for using a small amount of fiber one as a breading.

I remember one thing was to take a light string cheese stick, dip it in egg and rub it in a little fiber one, then bake.

Mozzerella sticks :)

She also had one for jalepeño poppers and many others.