Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Finding the balance...

So I'm where I want to be, and I'm realizing that it's more of a struggle for me to increase my calories to STOP losing weight than it seemed to be for me to decrease calories to LOSE weight.

From July 31 to now, I've steadily eaten 1,400 to 1,450 calories per day. Now I'm at or near my goal weight (or we'll say I'm happy with where I am ), and wanting to stop losing, and it's not so easy.

I increased at first by 100, to 1,550 calories. Lost a little more during my TOM week. I'm noticing I don't lose any during the rest of the month, then during that week I lose 3-5 pounds and it doesn't come back. Anyway, after that loss, I increased to 1,600 calories. Then last week (TOM week), I lost down to 152. So I'm adding another 50 calories and I'll see where I end up during the next month.

Is it terrifying to anyone else to eat MORE when you've been so used to eating LESS? I'm having to force myself to eat additional (healthy) snacks and more of things that are good for me in order to get NEAR my increased calorie goal, and I have barely been making them.... Like today...I'm starting today to reach 1,650 calories, and I'm a nervous wreck at 1,620.

Am I crazy? Is this normal?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I had exactly the same experience when I upped my calories from around 1400 to 1800. I just did very slowly over a period of months.

If it's hard at first, stick with small portions of really dense foods. If you make your own olive-oil based salad dressing, or sprinkle some cashews on a salad, or add a sliced avocado to a sandwich, it's REALLY easy to add an extra 200 calories to day in a very healthy way your body will appreciate.

It really helped me to think of it like that - I had leeway for even MORE healthy foods that would make me the healthiest person I could be.

But it did take awhile. What helped was eating more and watching the scale...not go up. Eventually, I trusted my body
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #3  

Thanks, Glory! That's what I was trying to explain to my husband, when we were talking about this yesterday...I have to see that the scale is NOT going to go up because I'm eating a little bit more.

I just have to remember that more calories allowed does NOT leave room for unhealthy snacking. Think healthy!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Exactly - I didn't start adding 400 calories of junk to my diet, I just got more healthy calories to "play with." I also have a weekly treat meal once a week where I don't concentrate on "healthy" per se. I still follow SOME rules (try to stay out of the bread basket, only ONE glass of wine, salad dressing ALWAYS on the side, split dessert and NO LEFTOVERS) but I still enjoy a very nice meal. Since I eat so healthy and onplan most of the time, it really helps me to stay on plan knowing that I get a special meal once a week (helps me stick to this plan for life).

Last edited by Glory87; 06-23-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #5  

The husband also does NOT understand why I still get up and go work out at 6 a.m. five days a week, now that I'm at my goal. To him, I'm where I need to be so I should go back to the way I was.

At some point I may drop down to 3-4 days a week, rather than five, but I can't see stopping completely at ALL. I'd rather have three GOOD days of exercise than five mediocre days where I'm halfway doing it. Getting SO bored with everything right now that might be the way to go...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
The husband also does NOT understand why I still get up and go work out at 6 a.m. five days a week, now that I'm at my goal. To him, I'm where I need to be so I should go back to the way I was.

At some point I may drop down to 3-4 days a week, rather than five, but I can't see stopping completely at ALL. I'd rather have three GOOD days of exercise than five mediocre days where I'm halfway doing it. Getting SO bored with everything right now that might be the way to go...
I think your husband's opinion is like the majority of those out there. That once you get to goal, you can stop doing all the hard stuff and take it easy. That's why people gain the weight back!
You are doing the right thing and and an amazing thing for yourself!

As I approach goal, I am having those same thoughts you have now. I worry. Although - I am looking forward to having a whole ounce of cashews in my day instead of a 1/3. I said that to DH and he thought that was the funniest thing.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Although - I am looking forward to having a whole ounce of cashews in my day instead of a 1/3. I said that to DH and he thought that was the funniest thing.
How funny, that is what I am looking forward too Often I have 1/2 oz of nuts for an afternoon snack, and I always want just a bit more. Some time ago I decided that when I got to maintenance I was going to have a whole oz of nuts for my snack I guess it's even cooler that 1 oz seems like plenty now; it wouldn't have before I started this.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Yup. Every morning I count out 5 walnut halves to have on my cereal. Oh, the anticipation of maybe 7 or 8....

There was a post awhile back about how folks look at those who exercise most days a week, and plan their food, and watch their calories as obsessed. Meg (I think) pointed out that perhaps we should look at it rather as dedicated. Dedicated to keeping our weight off, dedicated to staying healthy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote