Weight Loss Support - Weight Loss Support June 23-29

View Full Version : Weight Loss Support June 23-29

srmb60
06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Good Monday morning!

I've fallen behind starting the new thread! My parents just got back from a 3 week trip out East so I sat with them yesterday afternoon instead of planning my week.

So ... Mon, Wed and Fri are gym days. I work Tues, Wed and Thurs. I'd like to get to a farmer's market Thursday evening and Saturday morning. I have a line on nice brown eggs locally and I should investigate a natural beef guy just outside of town here.

But first ... I must clean out the fridge! And I probably should check the freezer for discards as well. Nobody is going to eat the rhubarb sauce I made last year.

Mrs Snark
06-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I had a great week last week and plan to simply repeat it this week! Easy peasy, right? Today was my 14 week weigh in and I'm down -46.2 pounds total, so I really couldn't be happier with my progress. Just want to keep trooping forward.

srmb60
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Good morning!

I had a just pretty nearly OP day yesterday. About 1300 cals, weights for legs and cardio at the gym. I felt quite accomplished last evening.

We made our salmon filets into packets for the barbeque. Green onions, zucchini slices and the salmon (just spritzed with oil spray). It was lovely!

Mrs Snark
06-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Susan, is it just you and me now? Did we scare everyone off? ;)

SoulBliss
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I need support! ;) I'll post.

I have kalamata olive bread and lemon bread (not sweet, just lemon essence) in the house from a delicious local bakery. It is my favorite bread in the WHOLE WORLD and the first bread I have had in 6 MONTHS.

It has been here for 24+ hours and I have managed to eat ONLY 3 slices total (they are very small, larger than a baguette but smaller than my hand or a typical slice of bread).

I consider this to be a HUGE victory. Typically, when this bread is purchased, we plow through a loaf or two in 24 hours. :o

I am encouraging DH to have a bread "snack" tonight to polish off 1/2 of what is left and I am allowing myself a slice with tofu egg salad after class tonight along with some pineapple.

:carrot:

Susan, good luck cleaning out the fridge (I LOVE rhubarb and strawberry together, and I can't imagine letting homemade sauce go to waste).

Tyler, you have done AMAZING! :cp: In just 14 weeks, you have accomplished SO MUCH.

Mrs Snark
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow Soulbliss, I love hearing about that kind of victory over former trigger foods! WAY TO GO!

And now I want kalamata olive bread, it sounds wonderful! You are typically very low carb vegan right? Does the bread not trigger carb cravings for you?

srmb60
06-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Well Josephine ... we may just be the ones who are here alot! ;)

I had a good day foodwise yesterday.

I was disappointed in the organic veal patties. I bought them hoping for something different and they really weren't. My family agreed with me. Good but not worth driving to Kitchener for. Chicken would have been just fine.

Mrs Snark
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Happy hump day! Today I am sore, sore, sore from the Push Up Challenge I started on Monday and I can't even progress to Day 2 yet because there is no sense hitting these muscles again when they are this torn up. Maybe tomorrow. I was also planning on hitting the pool today, but that would work my upper body too much as well. And since yesterday was a run day, I'll be biking today by default.

kittycat40
06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
:yes:

I'm in too! I could use all the support I can get. The more accountability and support the better. Thanks for setting this up SusanB. I've been aware of this thread but am now poking my head/mouse in for the first time. Seeing Josephine's name made me do it!

I'm just recently post a more than minor but not mindblowingly major setback. We had friends visiting. My computer is in a very public area and I didn't feel comfortable charting my cals as I consumed them (which is my nl routine) nor did I feel able to check in with the 3fc site and I think that also had some impact. Of course, bringing 30 frozen wildly delicious gourmet chocolate chunk cookies into the house had the most to do with it. That, and the brownies made for a bake sale. And the ....

Anyway, back on track.

:wave: glad to be here.

AJ113
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I had a baaad weekend; beer, fish and chips, pizza, cakes, chocolate. I don't use the scales that much but out of curiosity I wonderd what this lot would do to my weight, it added 3 pounds. I told myself tat it was impossible to put on three pounds of body fat in that period of time, and sure enough I had lost the three pounds by yesterday morning. I assume most of the weight was water retention triggered by excess saline plus extra carb intake.

srmb60
06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
As I get older ;) I find it takes a couple of days to lose that toxic junk food weight. Blech!

Went to the gym last night for chest and triceps. I'm making nice gains on the pec deck and triceps cable press. I do seriously worry about having weinie little woman arms and/or osteoporosis. I know I feel stronger and straighter.

Food was OK.

fiberlover
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Susan - don't you love strength training! I just have a bowflex at home, but I love my biceps now! I know my back is much stronger, too. Does make me sit up straighter at the computer LOL!

AJ113
06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Bowflex? Is that like a Bullworker?

kittycat40
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm checking in here right now as a way of allowing/forcing myself to make a statement that must be made. Telling myself alone will not work as well as "putting it out there."

No more buying stuff for the kids that I can get out of control with. I'm not sure if I'm trying to kid myself or I'm purposely bringing in stuff that I will self sabotage with. Not even light whipped cream!!!!

Anyway, I had a pretty good day, very nice run, got a little/lot crazy with myself with many berries and about ==ok, let me just say VERY MUCH light whipped cream.

hope everone is doin' OK.

fiberlover
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Bowflex? Is that like a Bullworker?

No - although I think there is a bullworker in my parent's basement :D

It's a home gym, basically.

Mrs Snark
06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Good for you Kitty! Chances are the stuff that triggers you is pretty much JUNK calories any ways, and your kids don't need those either! It's a good idea to just keep it out of the house!

srmb60
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I do love weight training! I really didn't want to go on Wednesday but I went and was super glad! Tonight, I'm looking forward to it.

Yesterday I had my worst food day this week. The alliance our hospital belongs to sent us free lunch. Chicken breast on a bun ... which was OK and cake with huge frosting! Of course I ate it :mad: can't get much free stuff past me ;) Then I nibbled cheerios while I was reading.

So, I've had four good days and one that wasn't horrible. I guess we'll call that so far so good this week.

The local farmers market was a grave disappointment last evening. I really hope it'll get going as the summer goes along.

Is anyone going to hang around on the weekend? I'm going to be home alone for a good part of it and plan to be much, much better than my weekends have been.

Tomato
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Is anyone going to hang around on the weekend? I'm going to be home alone for a good part of it and plan to be much, much better than my weekends have been.

Hi Susan,
I have a bit of a problem with a free stuff myself, even though since I became a chick, I am much better at it. So I know how you feel about it. I think overall, it was not a huge disaster, so don't worry. I went out for lunch with a colleague the other day even though my own lunch was sitting in my lunch bag, and he wanted to go to Harvey's, so I had a grilled chicken on a bun. It was, I have to admit, much tastier than the grilled chicken sandwich at McD's. I had just the sandwich, no fries, no drink (had my own H2O in the car) and politely declined his offer to share his onion rings. It was fun to be out and chat (on most days, I work through my lunch hour).
I'll be around on the weekend - if the weather will be very humid, I will have to keep the A/C on so I will be hanging on the forum a lot then. :smug:
Have a good one!

Tomato
06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Uh-huh, I think I was tempting the devil when I talked about free stuff.
A few minutes after I typed my previous post, I got a pop-up from my Outlook reminding me about departmental breakfast this morning. And there was PLENTYYYYYYYY of free stuff, and I ate. In spite of having had my regular breakfast (cereal w. fruit) and being quite full), I had a large tablespoon of scrambled eggs, a tablespoon of home fries, 1 teiny weiny sausage (I think it was turkey) and 2 rashers of bacon (I picked very meaty ones, with little fat, but still). Oh well .......... life goes on ......... but it was good.
There was a ton of pastries (muffins, danishes, donuts, croissants, turnovers) - I ignored all those.
Actually, I am kinda proud of myself because when it was over, I went back upstairs (our staff cateria is in the basement) to get my electronic card, then I loaded another plate high with eggs, sausages and bacon and another one with pastries and took it over to a former colleague (who recently relocated to the IT department, that's why I needed the card to get there). I say I am proud because I did not pop another sausage or piece of bacon into my mouth , I just loaded the plate and took it over to him.
His eyes almost popped out when he saw the food, he said he was starving and attacked it right away. :-)

srmb60
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
:oScrambled eggs and homefries would have been a problem for me:o

fiberlover
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Tomato - free food is hard to turn down, especially if it is good! That was nice to bring some to your coworker.

Susan - the cake with frosting would be a huge problem for me. I do so love frosting, icing, glaze - yum! I could eat frosting all by itself.

I will be around this weekend. I usually am online most times. We are going to take a long bike ride on Saturday. We are shooting for 20+ miles, if the weather holds.

srmb60
06-28-2008, 10:34 AM
It's pouring rain here and has been for a couple of hours. I might be forced into indoor pursuits. 3FC and a book, I'm enjoying :D

I've been struggling with the weekend thing. I almost always lose a little each week but blow the weekend and then have to relose the same weight ... you know how it goes? And some weekends have grown to three days ...er ... more.

I don't seem to be able to keep the horrendous noshing down to one day so, I'm going to skip it all together this weekend.

I'm home alone so I can pick healthily at about 2 or 3 hour intervals. I love that! I think I even have everything I need and don't need to shop.

I've also thought about doing a light leg workout here at home. I don't have to do one at the gym until Wednesday. So it wouldn't hurt anything.

A walk? Maybe ... I don't like an umbrella tho'.

Right now? I'm going to boil a few eggs.

fiberlover
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Good morning!
Had those wonderful protein pancakes for breakfast (the egg/oats/cottage cheese ones). I never would have thought I would like them - but with blueberry sauce, they are delicious! Got my morning started off with 30 grams of protein!

We are going for a 25+ mile bike ride in an hour or so. Will likely take us most of the day, as we are going to hang out at the lake and have lunch before coming back to get enough rest.

Tomato
06-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Fiberlover,

Could you please share the recipe for the protein pancakes? I feel that I am not getting enough protein, and it would be nice to have something else for a change. TIA!

Susan,
What are you reading? I think I won't dare to pick up a book this weekend - if I have a book, I read until the book is done and everything else goes on the back burner (NOT exercise though, of course). The last book I read (last weekend) was Traitor to the Memory by Elizabeth George (her best book, IMHO) - this was the second time I read it.
I feel like a walking corpse today. I was supposed to run this morning but the last few weeks, I am really struggling with sleep and of course I woke up again in the wee hours and after a few hours of tossing/reading/drinking warm milk I was still up when the alarm went off at 5:30. I didn't have the energy to get up, so I snoozed until it was time to go the farmers' market. I am going to the gym for a half-hour core class in 15 minutes, then I am getting a haircut. Hopefully I will catch a few winks after lunch and I will run in the evening.
There was a downpour at night so gardening has to be postponed (yet again).

srmb60
06-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Carol O'Connell writes a series about a female cop called Kathy Mallory. I found one in the lounge at work and quite liked it. I went on the internet and found the rest. I'm on book five.

I'm at loose ends with gardening too, because of the rain. I haven't even been out to make my 'rounds' yet.

Lori's day sounds nice but my legs are aching thinking about that bike ride.

srmb60
06-28-2008, 12:22 PM
You! my Tomato friend ... are trying to kill me. That's a 13 book detective series! THIRTEEN BOOKS! How can I pass that up????

Ija
06-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I've had a pretty good couple of days, except my dad sent me some of his home made Croatian sausage and I ate way more than I should have. I'm determined to redeem myself this weekend. This morning I went to the farmers market and picked up two pints of fresh organic strawberries, a pound of asparagus, some fresh beets, one spaghetti squash, and a large bag of plums. Can't wait to dig in!

srmb60
06-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Dinner's at Drina's. What time did you say?

Ija
06-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, and did I mention the fresh spinach and goat cheese?

::looks for extra dining room chairs::

karen0117
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Today I have been on my program 4 weeks and finally passed the 10 lb mark (11.2 pounds). Had my first big challenge when I went to friends for dinner but she's on Weight Watchers so a lot of the food was OK. A friend came over yesterday afternoon and I indulged in 1 extra gkass of wine.

Really need to go grocery shopping but can't get motivated. Thankfully my neighbor brought over some stuff from his garden (cucumber, tomatoes, so I was able to make a nice salad for lunch.

Susan, I wish we were getting some of your rain here in Texas. I'm having to wait until about 8:30 at night to do my 30 minute walk.

Drina, your farmer's market stuff sounds great.

fiberlover
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Tomato - the protein pancakes are super easy!

1/3 cup cottage cheese (I use 1%)
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup egg substitute, *or* 1 whole egg and one white.
a dash of cinnamon
a dash of vanilla.
Put in a blend and whir it up. Then cook the batter like regular pancakes! Some people add splenda to the batter, I don't as I don't like super sweet food for brekkie.
It makes 3 big pancakes.
You can get very creative with these, such as using them to make an egg sandwich (sub for muffin), you can add fruit like chopped bananas or blueberries. Yum!

Got back from my bike ride. We went about 30 miles. My legs are tired! The middle part was really hilly, too. Didn't know that going in LOL! So, got my HIIT in :rofl:

AJ113
06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
........I've been struggling with the weekend thing. I almost always lose a little each week but blow the weekend and then have to relose the same weight ... you know how it goes? And some weekends have grown to three days ...er ... more..........Now that sounds very familiar! For me, it's important to break a few rules at the weekend but it's difficult to know when to stop!

Tomato
06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Croatian sausage? I have never had that but I bet it's to die for!!!!

Susan ...... killing you gently ...... hehehe.

Fiberlover - thanks for the recipe. I will get cottage cheese tomorrow and attack the stove.

I just finish my treadmill exercise. Total distance 4.7 miles, I ran almost 3 miles . Gosh, this humidity is killing me. I spent the afternoon cooped up inside and watched Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2. I WILL look like Uma Thurman one day (although it may take a while)!!!

srmb60
06-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Tomato, I think we're going to have lots to talk about :D

I did OK yesterday. Calories were fine, just not healthy. However, having those eggs boiled and handy was a life saver.

It's raining again. DH wants to do some driving around today so all I have to do is avoid restaurants. I can do that.

fiberlover
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi all! I need to make sure I am vigilant with calories today. After yesterday's bike ride, I am not doing any cardio or strength training today. So, must be careful not to let the calories creep up.

Ija
06-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Lori, how many calories do you do on average?

Ija
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Croatian sausage? I have never had that but I bet it's to die for!!!!

Tomato, my dad has been making sausage and wine for a long time. He goes to this Croatian butcher in Cleveland, gets 100 pounds of the best lamb and beef, trims it himself, then adds his own spices (my mom grows a lot of them, but my dad also buys them by the bucket full) and fills natural casings. After they cure in the cellar he hands them out to everyone -family, friends, neighbors... and it's so good we always eat too much!

Tomato
06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Drina,
Tell your dad it's too bad he is already married. I would be very interested otherwise!!!

I did ok yesterday, no problems with snacking etc. I don't count calories but I actually ate less than I normally eat in a day. This morning, I had to do some sweettalking to convince myself to go to the core/ball class. I am sore from yesterday. But I did go, and I was glad I did. Couple of weeks ago I could balance myself on the ball at all and now I manage to sit on it with both feet off the floor for at least a minute before a foot has to touch the floor and I have to readjust. Little steps of progress!
I am going to hit a garden centre from which I won a $50 gift certificate. I won't be hard to find something to spend it on. :-)

Susan - yes, I was thinking the same yesterday, that we definitely won't have a problem to chat the out time together away!

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day - I can't wait to see the results (whatever they are). I meant to do some iron pumping today but I am too sore for that, so I will do it tomorrow evening instead.
And then we have our July 1st - 6th challenge!

srmb60
06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Good morning!

I guess I should have started this weeks thread. I've got some catching up to do. I have to go to work tho' so if I don't get at it, would one of you? Thanks.

We did not avoid fast food yesterday but my cals turned out OK and we walked lots. I forgot to look to see when the gym is closed this week. I think we're going tonight.

Got it!

Here's the new thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2247764#post2247764