Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #1  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Default What started out as

a small spluge for 1-2 days became a binge for another 1-2 days.

Yes, I know I made the choice to go off plan while I had friends staying over. But then I lost control. It is the definition of addiction, right? It seems I am unable to have "just a bit" of those things... cookies, bread, rice, brownies.

Input appreciated. Can you handle "just a bit?"
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #2  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I am pretty much an all-or-nothing girl. Either I am on plan, or I am bingeing. I wish I knew how to eat like a "normal" person, but I think I just have a warped relationship with food.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

The only way I've been able to handle "just a bit" is to keep the problem foods in the freezer and just thaw out what is an acceptable portion. Of course that won't work for un-freezable items, but it's something. My particular fix since I've been on the wagon is the HG fake fudge (brownie mix with a can of pumpkin). If I don't cut those suckers up and wrap them individually and put them in the freezer, I would certainly be tempted to polish of the whole pan in one night!

Good luck, kittycat. Jump back on that wagon!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #4  
needs constant reminding

thanks gals. i'm working on it!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #5  
No description available.

I think that the binge monster will always lurk for some of us.

Sometimes I do very well with just a little bit. Most of the time actually. But sometimes for no good reason at all, I inhale everything that is not nailed down.

This is something we can manage, not perfectly, but that I think we can learn to live with it and minimize its effects on our health. Support, tools, therapy can all help. Sometimes we will slip. I don't believe I will ever be cured. I can fake it and be as healthy as can be....but that impulse is always lurking. Sometimes it is deep and sometimes it is just below the surface.

It's about managing our behaviors the best we can.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I can't handle a little bit of those kinds of foods either. I think I can only control myself if I'm at a specific place and am given a VERY small, specific portion of the offending food... like if I have a sliver of birthday cake at a party, that seems to be fine. I can have one piece and then move on.

BUT if those foods are in the house with me, in a large quantity, I cannot stop at just one piece/portion/helping. They will haunt me til i eat all of it.

So if I let myself splurge a little bit, it's usually at a restaurant or something where I will have to leave, go home, and separate myself from the tiramisu. Also, I usually try to splurge WITH someone and not have the whole dessert to myself... decorum usually then keeps me from feasting like a lion on a wildebeast.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #7  

I know how you feel I've been "Off the wagon" since Fathers Day weekend. I went from 185.5 to 195 in a matter of a week or so. I don't even know what happened. It just sort of did. Talk about being like "WTF!"
PetiteHourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #8  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
a small spluge for 1-2 days became a binge for another 1-2 days.

Yes, I know I made the choice to go off plan while I had friends staying over. But then I lost control. It is the definition of addiction, right? It seems I am unable to have "just a bit" of those things... cookies, bread, rice, brownies.

Input appreciated. Can you handle "just a bit?"
The only time I end up doing okay handling "just a bit" is when I am very mindful of what I call my "policy:" EVERY BITE IS A CHOICE.

If I keep in mind that I can--at ANY moment--choose to STOP the cycle, I actually do okay and don't start a huge binge cycle. But when I'm out of sync about my policy and simply can't wrap my brain or my spirit or my addictive personality around it for some reason, then, yeah, WATCH OUT. I really will binge for days... because I feel like all is lost, why bother, etc.

I KNOW better, but that's the thing about addictive-based eating, right? Not a lot of logic in the mix. :\

So, I try to find some moment at which I can remember that "every bite is a choice" and then that stops things for a little while. It's not a perfect system, but sometimes it's all that works. (And sometimes doesn't work at all. Y'know.)

*sigh*
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #9  
needs constant reminding

[QUOTE=WardHog;2238076]I am pretty much an all-or-nothing girl. QUOTE]

It seems I am too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Sometimes I do very well with just a little bit. Most of the time actually. But sometimes for no good reason at all, I inhale everything that is not nailed down.

It's about managing our behaviors the best we can.
Indeed. The inconsistency of the binge monster is too disconcerting for me. I have been very cognizant of fighting the BM (ha, potty humor) but I guess I just let my guard down. I've been on a pretty long good run. I'm almost glad it happened. (well, not really) But, now I know I will and can get back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
I can't handle a little bit of those kinds of foods either. I think I can only control myself if I'm at a specific place and am given a VERY small, specific portion of the offending food... like if I have a sliver of birthday cake at a party, that seems to be fine. I can have one piece and then move on.

BUT if those foods are in the house with me, in a large quantity, I cannot stop at just one piece/portion/helping. They will haunt me til i eat all of it.

Uh, huh...Just say no to gormet cookies, 30 in a box/ half off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteHourglass View Post
Talk about being like "WTF!"
Oh yes, WTF to about three weeks hard work

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of grace View Post
The only time I end up doing okay handling "just a bit" is when I am very mindful of what I call my "policy:" EVERY BITE IS A CHOICE.

I KNOW better, but that's the thing about addictive-based eating, right? Not a lot of logic in the mix. :\

So, I try to find some moment at which I can remember that "every bite is a choice" and then that stops things for a little while. It's not a perfect system, but sometimes it's all that works. (And sometimes doesn't work at all. Y'know.)

*sigh*
Well, here I am .. but this time able to reach out and get some extremely empathetic, BTDH kind of input.
There is NOTHING like it!!
Keep in mind, I have done the very long gamut of therapy, tools....
IMHO, as one willing to be helped... the best helpers out there are 3fcs

thanks again,
Kitty
Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #10  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
Well, here I am .. but this time able to reach out and get some extremely empathetic, BTDH kind of input.
There is NOTHING like it!!
Keep in mind, I have done the very long gamut of therapy, tools....
IMHO, as one willing to be helped... the best helpers out there are 3fcs

thanks again,
Kitty
Right back atcha.

I have to say, this whole thread actually really helped me today.

I kept this thread and these posts in mind as I went through my day and, as we close in on the end of the day here, it looks like I may actually have a 100% day, here.

And I thank you all for that.

Phew!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote