Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #1  
Dori

S/C/G: 258.8/234/160

Height: 5'8"

Smile Self Revelation

Yesterday I learned how to take responsibily for MYSELF and MY actions(when it comes ot FOOD) ! Here is an excerpt from my blog to explain what happend:

Today, Rick and I went to see “The Happening”. Good movie! I didn’t get anything from the snack bar Rick got some ice cream and candy; he offered me some I said no. When he offered me some ice cream I wanted to KILL him!!! What’s WRONG with him? OF COURSE I WANTED SOME! DUH! Then he offers me some of his candy, it took A LOT of willpower to #1 say NO, #2 NOT take any…not even ONE little piece and #3 NOT slap him upside his head…WHAT WAS HE THINKING??? So here I am all bent out of shape thinking “How COULD he???” When I realized that I was being a brat. *I* am the one with the food addiction, *I* am the one who didn’t control my eating habits for YEARS, *I* am the one who gained all this weight, so why should I be mad at him for enjoying some candy and ice cream? That’s when I made a promise to myself not to begrudge my family the little treats and goodies that they indulge in every now and again, they don’t do it to slight me or make me mad or to tease me. So all-in-all I think I can classify today as a success!

So, there you have it! I'm really starting to realize that this REALLY is an addiction, just like drugs or alcohol...in a couple of other posts people have said we need to "dig deeper" to find out WHY we do what we do and treat food they way we do...I think I'm going to start working on that...starting RIGHT NOW!
Mommie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Excellent revelation! But every once in a while they still might need a slap upside the head!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Good for you. That's a huge revelation and one that sometimes it's a shock to realize. I had to learn that just because my husband eats Taco Bell doesn't mean I have to ... and blaming him for "tempting" me is simply not accepting responsibility for myself.

Bravo!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #5  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Congratulations that is an important revelation for you and your family.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #6  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

Awww. I really liked that! It's so true!
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I don't know, he ordered ice cream AND candy? I don't think you are the only one with a food addiction. Not to mention the COST of concession food!

I love movies too (I can't wait to see The Happening, even if it did get bad reviews, I'm glad you liked it) - can you smuggle in healthy snacks for the BOTH of you next time? Dried mango is my favorite movie snack - it's tasty and QUIET!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

It's a loving act to help those we love begin to realize the positive changes they can make, too. My husband has recently almost completely given up drinking sugared soda, due to me going no-sugar. And when we took the kids to the movies on Friday night, he didn't buy them soda (which used to be a staple of our movie trips), but just bought them popcorn. That way, they all had a treat but it wasn't nearly so bad. I'm not forcing or requiring him to do any of this, but I think he's noticed my consistently strong and positive attitude about no-sugar, and I've made polite requests for him to cut back and for us to not feed it to our kids.

Sure, it's 100% my responsibility what goes into my own mouth...but it's also partly my responsibility what goes into the mouths of the people I love. Food can definitely be a companionship thing for couples--it's more comfortable, and it's comforting, when we eat the same things, and junk foods or celebratory foods can really FEEL good to have together. Unfortunately, it just ends up being really bad for us in the long run.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

that is an awesome revelation...took me a while to get to it as i was stuck on the "enjoying" part of The Happening...me, not so much LOL I want to sue someone not only to get my $10 back, but those 2 hours of my LIFE!!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #10  
NewnamesamePam

S/C/G: 287/247/135

Smile Thanks for sharing

Not all of us here have a food addiction but many of us do. I know that I have had one since I was about 17. I was skinny then but I was obsessed with food. When I was on a date, all I thought about was what I was going to order or what would the guy be able to afford to buy me. To this day, I will remember what food was served at an event more than whether I enjoyed it, who I was with or even what I wore.

It wasn't until May 5, 1995 that I walked into my first OA meeting. Althought I don't attend meetings now I have my tattered and torn "For Today" book close by to read and reread. Another great 12 Step book (for codependents) is "The Language of Letting Go"---again, my copy is so beat up looking. And, finally, a great personal testimonal book to have is "Abstinence". In AA, living without alcohol is called "sobriety". In OA, living without excess food is called "abstinence". My name is Pam and I am a recovering compulsive overeater.

Addiction is best "arrested" when you acknowledge that it is on many levels: mentally, emotionally, physically and, yes, spiritually. "Recovery' is about making choices that will support a new life that is free of addiction. There is no "cure" for any kind of addiction but if you practice healthy living you may have one 24 hour period free of all of the elements of addiction. I think, the hardest part can be realizing that all we can ever expect or ask for is one free 24 hours. Freedom of choice is the ultimate goal. Freedom to choose to what is in our best interests, no matter how difficult that can be sometimes. There is a saying about living without war, the same could be applied to without excess food. "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Someday, you will guard that freedom with every fiber of your being. It will mean that much to you.

Congrats on the freeing moment you had. Thank you for sharing this. I hope that you will have many many more in the future.

Last edited by PamByr; 06-24-2008 at 01:51 PM.
PamByr is offline   Reply With Quote