South Beach Diet - Phase I Chick Check - Sunday, June 22 and Onward

Ruthxxx
06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Here's the place to share your experiences on Phase I, give encouragement, confess sins :lol: and share tips and hints.

Please also join the rest of the group in the daily chat thread. You won't be on Phase I forever and we'd love to get to know y'all better.

briezee
06-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Today is Phase I, Day 8 after my off plan yesterday. Just have housecleaning to do today. I need to make a Costco run, but I think I'll save the gas and go after work tomorrow. Need to figure out my menu for the rest of the week.

Auralei
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Lazy day for us, after lots of running around yesterday. Trying to find this recipe I saw for brussels sprouts meatballs, can't remember for the life of me where it was. We're hanging in there with P1 pretty well, but I was bad on my water intake yesterday. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Ruthxxx
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Planning ahead is key so figure out that menu, Briesee. Do you do doggy menues too? :lol: My two love veggies so that enters into my planning.

Auralei. Brussels sprouts are my least favourite veggie, probably because my mother cooked them until they were gray with pink insides. However, I'm willing to try to like them. I hope you find that recipe!

Auralei
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I think I found it at SB Diet MB, it's for inside-out brussel's sprouts. I can omit the rice part :) I didn't try sprouts till I was in my 20's, now I love them, but not if they're overcooked. Mushy = yuck!

I bought a ton of chicken breasts at Kroger yesterday, as they were $1.99/lb, so I expect to start growing feathers around... oh, maybe Tuesday. I'll be glad when some nice, lean steak is on sale again, will be a nice change. At least the chicken recipes here are delicious, though :)

I really need to add a weight ticker... if I can figure out how to, I'm such a nooblet lol

briezee
06-22-2008, 02:43 PM
There are few veggies I won't eat, brussels sprouts among them. Oddly, my brother, whom only eats three different veggies likes them.

Ruth, Winter gets kibble and occasionally yogurt, he's not really into veggies/fruit (Strawberries make interesting stains smashed into the carpet hard enough.). Summer's having issues and may be going to a raw diet. Eww, but if she does well on it, I guess I'll do it. She's on raw beef and chicken for the next two weeks at least. She's a bit tubby and needs to lose a little weight, but she devours everything in site (and yes, she's fed in her crate, but counter height is no obstacle for this girl). Summer eats veggies no problem. :) "Lettuce? Well that was a bit odd tasting. *opens mouth wide and points to the sky* More?" So doggy menus may well be in my future. Kitty menus, too, if I can somehow figure out how to separate the cats and make them eat at set times... (one nearly underweight cat, one perfect weight cat and one overweight one, hmmm Goldilocks? :))

I swing by the grocery store on Thursday after work to find what meat is on sale (I find pretty good markdowns on Thursday nights that better than what the sale pages say) and pick it up. Then I try to find out on Sunday or Monday what my produce box will contain that week and from the two make a menu and pick up what else I need on Monday night on my way home from work. I do some planning, just spread out over a few days. I also need to go to the store again, as I'm still figuring out what I do and don't eat on this plan.

Auralei, you can't add a ticker until you've been here 30 days. My tickers are on my blog right now. I went to Ticker Factory to make mine, though I think somewhere on this site are links to making them through 3FC.

Debbie54
06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
briezee, have fun at Costco. I could spend some major bucks there!

Auralei, if you go to the top of the page on 3FC, you'll see "User CP". Click on that and then edit signature and it should show you how to make your ticker. But it's true, if you don't have 30 days here (I think) then you can't have one til then.

Yesterday we worked our butts off outside so today is menu planning and inside stuff.
Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Debbie

Ruthxxx
06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Yup - sorry but you have to be here a month to get a ticker. You could keep track of your start and end loss though and use it when the time comes.

greeneyes490
06-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi, well today was my first day on Phase 1 and out of habit I am totally craving carbs right now.....I made a burger (no bun) for dinner tonight with a salad and it just doesn't feel like a complete meal without the bread :)......it is going to be a long two weeks I think :) lol.......I did make hummus today and dipped cucumber spears into it so that i would get the carbs from something.......can't wait to go to bed and wake up on day 2 :) lol......

grneyedmustang
06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Greeneyes, it gets easier, I promise...:dizzy:

Had an okay weekend. I survived my weekend out with my friends, ate well, but I did have one glass of wine. Just one, I promise. ;) Worked out yesterday, but didn't go today (Sunday is one of my two off workout days).

Meals for yesterday and today:
Saturday -
Breakfast: Yogurt/turkey sausage/V8
Snack: Almonds
Lunch: Taco Soup
Snack: Celery/Peanut Butter
Dinner: Fiesta Chicken/SB Mashed potatoes/blackeye peas

Sunday -
Breakfast: Yogurt/turkey sausage
Snack: Almonds
Lunch: Kraft/SB entree (chicken caprese)
Snack: Celery/Peanut Butter
Dinner: Stuffed peppers/Salad/steamed brussels sprouts

Here's to a great week, everyone! :carrot:

hereicome
06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I am starting my 2nd phase 2 week. What do you eat at night when you just can't stand it anymore. I've tried turkey rollups with hummus,yogurt other nights,Tonight I just don't feel like having any of that. I just heated up some more chili and it seems to do the trick, but what other hints do you have, Cut up veggies just does not cut it sometimes.

cottagebythesea
06-22-2008, 10:35 PM
:welcome3: to all you Newbies! It's great that so many of you decided to join us. :)

hereicome, if you like milk, having a warm cup of skim milk in the evening usually works great for a case of the munchies. You could mix a little vanilla and splenda in it, or add a teaspoon of cocoa powder, too.
I always save my dessert for my evening snack. My favorites are ff Greek yogurt with fruit or nuts and agave nectar, the SBD peanutbutter cup, sf jello or pudding with ff Cool Whip, or a ricotta creme dessert.

murphmitch
06-22-2008, 11:04 PM
In phase II, for late night snacks I have whole grain toast with peanut butter or almond butter. I also like the mocha ricotta creme.

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Good morning everyone!! Today is my first day of phase I. I don't have the book yet (should get it this afternoon from the library) so I am going off of the phase I food list posted here.
I am a little worried about getting through phase I since the food list is a little limited. But, I keep reminding myself that it is only 2 weeks. And, I also keep reminding myself how great I would feel if I could just get 10% of my current weight off. So, I am feeling properly motivated.
Quick question-I see on phase one you can have sugar free popsicles. Is there a brand that is recommended??
Good luck everyone and have a good day!

Ruthxxx
06-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Yes, carbs are limited but please be sure you include good/slow carbs in your daily menu. Dairy and legumes will help you get through the Phase and prevent or minimize the SBD "flu".

The food brands are different up here but I'm sure some of the others can help you out with the SF popsicles.

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
owww, SBD Flu, that doesn't sound very nice. Oh well, what we have to endure to get healthy again;)

rebel
06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not even phase 1, just kind of mentally gearing up to start phase 1. I was here a couple of years ago.

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Rebel, I am glad that you are getting geared up. the more the merrier:carrot:

chipper15173
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
good morning all: i too have started P1 today. i think my hardest part is going to be giving up the carbs. sure taking in allot of the advice read here to combat that. i have to work on the exercising part later. that bothers me. i really want to do it now, but, had major surgery in may and was put on "sit and do nothing" and can't lift anything over 10#, for 6 weeks. that time passed and was extends another 6. so i get to sit around the house and sleep all day. talk about driving me up the wall. he said i can go out every few days for an hour or so, but, must sit/lay down if i start feeling any pressure. anyway, my sugar levels have gone up from this. I am diabetic. so i am doing this to take off the 10# gained since surgery and finish my walk down the weight loss road.
have a great day everyone, hot and sunny here again.
chipper

Ruthxxx
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
:welcome: back, Rebel.

Chipper, I am diabetic too and this plan works for me. On Phase I, just be sure to get in the good carbs in dairy and legumes so your BGL stays stable.

I may just go over to the Phase I Food List and highlight those items. Just did!

Folks who get the SBD "flu" usually get it from not eating enough carbs or indulging in SF treats that contain sugar alcohols.

briezee
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Good morning, all.

Good luck with your recovery, chipper.

Hi, rebel, dolly and greeneyes! Hope any flu you get is minimal.

TOM is slowing down and should be over today or tomorrow (I used to have 3 day periods before a six month period of BC, now I have 9, no fair!), so I finally weighed. 200.6 down from 206.0 the day I started TOM, even with the day off plan.

Auralei
06-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Good morning, all, and welcome to the newer folks :)

Day 8 of P1 for me, and doing well. I weighed this morning and it looks like 146. I'm amazed. I sure didn't think I would see this weight without totally starving myself, but here I am, with almost no trouble :) I did get that SB flu for a day or so last week, the headache was the worst part for me, but it was over by Wednesday. I'm really pleased and excited, lost weight while eating yummy food and not starving, some days I'm not even hungry, but I eat my snack anyway.

Good luck to everyone, have a wonderful day!

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Auralei-Thanks for posting. Your story is giving me hope and getting me very motivated. How much exercise have you done over the last week????

michmich
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Good morning girls! Well, I got four workouts in last week - starting with #5 tonight. I weighed in this morning, but I'm going to double check tomorrow morning. Started at 146.5, 144 this morning. Yesterday I was at 142! Go figure. Had a fairly good SBD weekend. For Mom's birthday, I had a hamburger no bun and a handful of chips (I know). I also made her a carrot cake and did not eat one bite of it! Had a couple of glasses of wine (I know). Other than that I was a good SBD girl this weekend...quite proud of myself actually.

Yesterday I laid out my weekly menu and grocery list. Mom couldn't believe how organized I was - even commented on it to my sister. :D We went grocery shopping and my brother made us some nice grilled chicken breasts last night with some sauteed zucchini and squash. YUM, YUM.

I'm ready for week TWO! :carrot:

michmich
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
briezee...did you get my e-mail?

Soon2bJWeave
06-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm back on phase 1 after a weekend of semi-watching what I was eating. This was planned though, I'm thinking at least one week to quash any residuals from this weekend! :)

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Soon2bJWeave-I have to ask, is your avatar a picture of your own dog??

grneyedmustang
06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Good morning everyone!

I had a decent weekend. Michmich, I was bad with you - I had one glass of wine on Saturday, but I worked out on Sat so I'm hoping that will combat the damage. I'm starting day 8 today, also. I am up a half a pound - but I'm hoping that's just water weight or something. Briezee and Auralei, congrats on your weight loss!

Today's meal plan:

Breakfast - Canadian bacon (3 slices), Plain yogurt with splenda and SF jello
Snack - Celery/Peanut Butter
Lunch - Stuffed Pepper
Snack - Almonds
Dinner - Shrimp Stir Fry

Also going to work out for an hour today, weights and cardio.

Dollyfinn, I have the Blue Bunny SF popsicles, they're pretty tasty.

I notice that for the past week I've been having bad headaches. They're not long, they come on very suddenly and last for a minute or two. I have high blood pressure so I'm not sure if I'm having the headaches due to my BP or if it's because of the major reduction in carbs. I think I may go get my BP checked later today.

Here's to a good day everyone!

Soon2bJWeave
06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Dollyfinn, it's not. We do have a dachshund, but she's quite a bit older.

Soon2bJWeave
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/mscalla_lily/IMG_2587.jpg

There's a picture of her :)

briezee
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
briezee...did you get my e-mail?

I did! I thought I sent back a response, sorry!

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Aww, she is adorable Soon2bJWeave. I have a copper doxie as well. Hard not to fall in love with them:D Thanks for sharing!

Auralei
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Dolly :)

I've done little exercise, bad, bad me... makes me wonder how I would have done if I'd had a good routine going. I'm going to be doing some stationary bike stuff beginning today, though, so that I can firm up a little bit and get these muscles moving. I also have a Pilates dvd and book that I want to try out, I just need to motivate myself.

My husband is at 180 now, I think, he's lost a few pounds in the past week, and had lost quite a bit over the last few months since he started walking everyday on his lunch breaks and watching what he eats. He loves SB food, so it's great to have a partner. We're both really happy with the results! We feel healthier and more energized, and are proud of ourselves for sticking with it.

Hoping to talk him into a trip to Trader Joe's this weekend :D I've never been, but have read wonderful reviews.

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Auralei-wow, all that weight loss without killing yourself with exercise. That is fantastic!!! Good luck at Trader Joe's. I am sure you will love it there!!

Debbie54
06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
you'll do just fine.

dollyfin, HI and welcome to our little group! It is pretty restricted but just think, it's only for 2 weeks. So good luck to ya and just hang in there.

rebel, welcome to you too! I had to gear up for about a week too and did alot of research while doing that. Sometimes it helps mentally to do just that. Good luck!

Hi chipper, welcome! Sorry to hear about not being able to get up and move too much right now, but glad that you've decided to get healthy again with SB. I'm a diabetic too and this diet or should I say, way of lifestyle change, is really working for me. It's sorta limited in this phase, but get's better in the next, so just hang int here.

briezee, sounds like you had a good first week even with TOM. :congrat:

Auralei, :woohoo: for your loss!!

Michelle, great loss for you too!!

grneyedmustang, your menu looks yummy! Always helps to hear what others are having.

So far, I've lost 4 lbs this week. I'm pretty happy about that since for the last few months, it's been lose a half, gain two, so this is a big improvement. I didn't exercise like I should, but have done alot of yardwork so hopefully that counts for something.
Is there anything that you have in the morning that is quick? I'm not big on breakfast and just eat it because it helps with metabolism, but if I had the choice, I would pass it up, so I need something quick. Any ideas?
Debbie

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Debbie-congrats on your weight loss!!!

michmich
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Okay, briezee - just wanted to make sure you got it. The first time I tried it didn't go through so I was a little worried. :p

Congrats, Debbie on the four pounds.

Sounds like we're all doing well.

GEM - you sound just like me. Good job on the working out. I did mine on Saturday, too, in preparation for the evening festivities. :D I'll be doing it again when I get home tonight - working out.

Auralei - I love your attitude about all of this -very positive!! Nice. And sounds like your DH is doing great as well...it's nice to have their support. It makes it much easier. My DH is 182 and wants to get down to 175. :cool:

What's for dinner tonight? I'm going to make Turkey Feta Burgers. Yummy. And a nice big side salad.

I'm pooped today. My Mom slept with me last night....not only does she snore, but she talks in her sleep. :lol: Sheesh!

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
ok, I am hitting my first wall. Just had a nice SB lunch but usually I have a few pieces of chocolate after lunch. I am having the worst cravings for sugar! Trying to keep my eye on the prize of being healthier in 2 weeks.
Wish me luck!

Auralei
06-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Debbie, something we did for breakfasts was to make egg muffins and freeze them. I pop two in the fridge to defrost the night before, and eat them in the morning with some salsa and veggie juice. I made them last Sunday, with some canadian bacon, peppers, onions and cheese, and they were really good. Easy to put together and bake for a week's worth of breakfast, too. Kalyn's Kitchen site has a great recipe for them. When the flu hit, I had white turkey chili for breakfast, it helped alot. I've been looking at making the cheesecake muffins for breakfast, just for a switchup, they'd be great with coffee :)

Not sure what's for dinner tonight. We had Taco Bake again last night (love that dish), so it'll probably be chicken of some sort tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to do a shrimp scampi for hubby's bday, maybe get a spaghetti squash for "pasta", salad and another veggie, and cheesecake bites for his dessert.

Mich, thank you, hon, that makes me feel good. My attitude wasn't so great last Tues/Wed - cranky headache chick lol. It's just nice to see some success without having to resort to starving myself or take pills or something. One of my friends tried to do that Beyonce maple syrup diet, and she was miserable, now she's looking at SB since she's heard all about it from us. The fact that we can eat, get healthier, and lose weight all at the same time is so awesome, plus having a great forum to come to :)

Have a great day! *toasts everyone with ice water*

Auralei
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Dolly, you can do it! I had sugar cravings somewhat and did the yogurt with SF jello mix stirred in, it did help, and there are some good, sweetish desserts here, too. Hang in there, it does get easier :)

dollyfinn
06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Auralei-thanks for the support and suggestions
I guess it is a good wake up call as to how many pepsi's and chocolate I was consuming. Going to get some sg popsicles for tonight. Thanks again!

Auralei
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I had a huge soda problem before starting, too. Since starting I've tried to replace the soda with green tea, but I did have a coupon for free Diet Sunkist, so we had a 2 liter of that for the week. That stuff is *so* good and it helped with sugar cravings and soda cravings. Only thing is, and I'll defer to the veterans here, but I saw "modified food starch" in the ingredients, not sure if that's okay for us in P1? If it isn't, I accidentally cheated :( If it's legal I want to buy some more today :P

happiness seeker
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I ladies.... I am back.... again. I have tried several times to get back on the beach and make it about 2 weeks before I find myself justifying that because I cheated I should throw the week away and start later. So I am back and I really want to stick to it this time. Today was day one and all is well. I am hoping I can really get myself into a good routine with my classes, eating times, and work. I find I have a harder time sticking too it when I am running all day and meal times are not planned. Well I hope I have the will power to stick too it this time. I would love to feel better in my suite at the beach in August. Any good stick to it advice that you have found to keep you on the wagon?

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Coming to this forum a lot! :D

Debbie54
06-23-2008, 11:54 PM
dollyfinn, thanks so much!
Did you pass up the chocolate? Try some of the pb and chocolate thingies we can have. They're really tasty.

Auralei, did you heat up the egg muffins up too or just eat em cold? I think I will try them. Thanks.

happiness seeker, welcome and glad to hear you're giving it another go. I have to have my snacks, or I wouldn't be able to stick this out.

The salsa baked chicken was so good. I've gotta have that one again. How was everyone else's dinner?
Debbie

Auralei
06-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Debbie, we nuked the egg muffins for about 30 seconds or so, they're a perfect grab and go meal in the mornings.

My SBD Cola Chicken was possibly the easiest "bbq" chicken I've ever made. And it was yummy! I'm going to try the Salsa Chicken in the crockpot on Wednesday, I think, it sounds really good, too.

Off to bed for me, up too late playing video games - I'm such a nerd lol :P

Ruthxxx
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Chickies, the best thing SBD has taught me is to plan ahead. I always cook for more than one meal and have a stash in the freezer of single servings. Taco bake freezes beautifully as do lots of the other Phase I recipes.

chipper15173
06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
good morning chicks:
day one went well for me. slight headache not bad. made the quich cups yesterday. had them for breakfast this morning with come candian bacon. found my new breakfast, love how quick it is. i am a big egg eater. i didn't have enough egg beaters so they were little. so today going to store to get more and make more. made allot of foods for a few days yesterday. i need to stop dwelling on food all day. that could be because i can't do anything right now, it's what i dwell on. need to put another puzzle together. LOL.
well off to wally world, they are closing the fabric dept and want to see what's left and do some sewing. have a great day ladies, will be doing drive bys all day, since i just sit. LOL.
chipper

Ruthxxx
06-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Those quiche cups are great. I load mine with veggies and bake them in my large silicone muffin pans - it makes 6 biggies that are still low cal and high protein. Mushrooms, onion and spinach work well.

dollyfinn
06-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Good Morning Ladies, it is a very pretty morning here in philly.
Well, I successfully completed my first SB day. I passed up both chocolate and soda. When the cravings got bad I got a glass of milk and that seemed to help the cravings (and headaches) pass. I forget who gave me that suggestion yesterday but whoever you are, thank you!!!
Now, on to day two. Feeling excited for it.
Hope you all have a great SB day!!

Auralei
06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Good morning!

Congrats on making it through the cravings :) Chili really seemed to help alot with the flu stuff, at least for me, and it passed fairly quickly.

I have lots of cooking to do, need to get breakfast stuff done for the week, plus make something big for lunches. Hubby goes back to work tomorrow, so going to spend extra time with him today (birthday boy!).

Have a terrific day, y'all!

michmich
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, pffhttt. Last night was just that - pffft. I went home early to workout - didn't happen. I was just too tired. But, I felt like cooking so I made the Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf w/Mushrooms and White Beans from the new book. :snooty: It was NOT good. I think I'm better off just modifying my own recipes instead of trying new ones. And my Mom left her bag of Cheetos...I was SO close to grabbing that thing and eating every one of them. I threw it out. I'm proud of that, but UGH.

And I was up 2# this morning. What gives?! :mad:

chipper15173
06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
michmich: Dr. Oz says that our weight always is different everyday. some days we may hold more water than others. it could have been some hidden salt somewhere. he says to only weigh once a week or every 2 weeks. i know that is so hard. i too weigh everyday and if the scale is playing games, i just remind myself that it could be anything and it's just this one day. now if i had been eating than i know what caused it. LOL. he says to give yourself anywhere from 3-5# range. i normally do 2-3 it's a mind thing. good job on the chips.

michmich
06-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks, chipper....that helps. :hug:

I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I know you're right. I SO want this to work and do this for myself...I just have to be patient, which is not one of my better virtues. :o

PamByr
06-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Since I have been following SBD since January 1st, I wasn't sure if I should include myself in this chat or not. I am resuming Phase 1 for an undetermined amount of time for my third time. I did a lot of soul searching this past weekend. I re-read a lot of the closed posts regarding some of the issues of following this food plan. BTW, I refer this to my food plan rather than my diet because it really is.

I think that the biggest struggle I have had following this food plan is that there is no end ---again, like a diet. However, I have been eating more "off plan" foods than I should have for the past couple of months so I decided that I needed to have a real "mental" time out and rethink what I was doing here, why and how to move forward.

I am following Phase 1 only until I feel like my cravings and/or the SBD flu is gone. I had the "flu" some yesterday until I had my second cup of skim milk at dinner. I felt fine after that. After reading the person who has lost 100 lbs on SBD tell how she did it (it's in the closed posts) I decided that I am going to do the same as she did. I am going to limit myself to 1 grain and 1 fruit once I have "detoxed". Period. I am making this decision because my BMI is still at 38% which is considered severely obese. I feel that it is important for me to lose this weight for my health and not lolly-gag along the way doing it.

The part of this food plan that I do not like is the transition from Phase 1 to Phase 2. I will admit that I don't like that "adding in one thing then seeing how your body reacts" process. I think it sucks! I already know how certain foods affect me. I did before I began this food plan. I think this is one aspect of this food plan that Dr. A needs to come up with a more specific plan for certain people and how they react to food. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Have a test group of insulin resistant people in one corner, have another slow metabolism people in another, etc. Do the testing in the laboratory so then he can tell the rest of us what we should or shouldn't be adding in and why. The vagueness in this food plan "mechanics" can really undo some people. I think it has the adverse affect of turning some otherwise well-intentioned people away.

I have a history of heart disease and diabetes in my family. I also think I was beginning to see some symptoms of both in me. I can not emphasis enough how I feel that stumbling onto this food plan was a real blessing for me. I must repeat that I am the only one in my nuclear family who is not on any prescription medicine for either of these diseases. I am continuing to follow this food plan because I believe it is a Life Saver. With no holes in it either.

However, this may be different than other people but I am being honest with myself and with all of you. I find that I struggle more mentally with these food choices than I do physically. I know what is good for you food and I have for quite some time. It's putting that knowledge into practice that is the hard part. Yes, you can make healthy food tasty and delicious (check out some of the recipes) and experiment yourself. However, when I am tired, when I am stressed out, when I am feeling blue, it is hard to keep doing what I know I should be doing. Yes, you guessed it, I am also a recovering compulsive overeater. 13 years of OA behind me....

I am going to try something and see if this will help me. Again, this is my idea and no one is saying it is right. Some may say it's wrong. I figured that we have 90 meals per month. I have decided that once I am squarely in Phase 2 again, I am going to have 89 "on plan" meals and 1 "off plan" per month. I think if I know that I can do that, it will make making the good choices easier for me mentally (how dumb is this to admit this?)

I admire those people who can go to a family gathering or a party and eat "on plan" but I feel that "on occasion" it is nice to have something "off plan". What "off plan" might mean for me is having pizza for my birthday in July or potato salad at the family reunion in August. That is what I mean. It is a "planned" choice. I will let you all know how it goes and if it is what will help me from slipping like I have been.

Since I began this food plan at the beginning of this year, I have only brought a few "off plan" foods in my home. I know this is not something a lot of us talk about but mentally to be so diligent can be tiring at times, especially if there are other stressors in your life. It is not about willpower but it is about making good choices consistently and often. Without following through on this then it really loses it purpose. I thought this might be a compromise for me. Let's see if it works and doesn't either stall my weight lose and/or create cravings.

Good luck to all of you new ones who are beginning this. I will mention that I feel great physically. I haven't had a cold or the flu since following this food plan. My complexion looks awesome. My hair has gotten thicker. And, yes, I am 100% committed to the food plan.

chiquita623
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Good Afternoon Chickas!! I had every intention of starting Phase 1 today but I had a migraine on Sunday and was sick in bed all day so didn't get to the grocery store. Yesterday I went to Springfield to babysit my youngest grandson. I ended up bringing him home with me this morning so as soon as he is up from his nap we're headed to the store so I can begin Phase 1 in the morning. I must admit I am a little nervous and apprehensive about starting this but I truly believe that this is the way for me to go to get these last 20 pounds or so off for good!!

That being said I am committing to checking in on these boards daily and posting also. I find that when I slack on my accountability then I slack off on everything!! So tomorrow morning it is for me. I'm hoping to get to know all of you on our journey together!!

VanHanFan
06-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Is it too late to jump in this thing?? I just read the WW article, and figured I'd give SB a try.

happiness seeker
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Never too late to join VanHan! I just re started yesterday too! Welcome!

So far so good. Yesterday went well and I am not dragging to much today, we will see what tomorrow brings. I am really hungry today though. I just had some cottage cheese and that is doing the trick. I am also a bit behind for my water for the day. Also a bit nervous about dinner out tonight. My friend wanted to go to Panarra.... I am hoping there will be a salad there I can have.

Debbie54
06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Auralei, the salsa one is really good too! I've gotta try the cola one now.

Chipper, I they doing away with the whole craft department or just the fabics? I hated it when K-Mart did away with their crafts so I'm hoping Wally world won't follow. Ours is usually pretty busy.

Ruthxxx, I think I'll make some of those tonight. I need something easy for mornings.

dollyfinn, glad to hear your first day went well for you. Believe me, it gets easier!

mich, did you exercise? Sometimes the body will retain water to help with the muscles. It's probably water weight so don't get too upset. Good for you on throwing those terrible snacks away!!

Pam, it sounds like you've got a plan in place and you're ready to start it. I wish you all the luck in the world to help yourself stay OP so you don't get the heart problems or diabetes. Give yourself a big pat on the back for getting in touch with yourself.

chiquita, welcome and i hope you've gotten your foods you need for phase 1. Good luck

VanHan, come on and join us!

hapiness seeker, I hope there's a salad on the menu for ya!!

Today I made pork chops and roasted veggies. I think I put too much olive oil on the veggies though, so I have to keep an eye on that. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Still staying OP all the way and getting most of my water in. Gotta work on that more. Usually I don't have a problem with that but as I get more active outside, it's hard to have the water close to me .
have a great night
Debbie

chiquita623
06-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Good Morning Everyone. Just checking in real quick while the baby is taking a nap. I must be getting too old for this babysitting stuff. I just turned 52 on Monday and the baby if 4 months old. He is kicking my butt!!! I did get to the store to buy my phase 1 stuff but have not had a chance to eat anything yet today. I'm thinking it may be just as well to start in the morning as I take the baby home this afternoon and I'll be back on my own. While he's down though I am going to make the Taco Bake and the breakfast cheesecakes to have on hand. I got some ground turkey to make into burgers to throw on the grill for dinner. And I have lots of green veggies. So I think I'm set. Anyway, just wanted to hop on here and say Hi to everyone. I'll be back later. Have a great Wednesday!!

michmich
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Good morning friends...

Today is much better. Worked out last night. Had some yummy pork tenderloin. Scale back down 2# today. AND I've lost 3" overall since 6/16th.

I'm a happy (but busy!) camper today! :D

tammay
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Everyone!
I'm on Day 3 of Phase 1 and just posted a note about not getting enough calories (which I didn't know about until I plugged in today's menu into Fitday, since I haven't been feeling hungry). I'm a vegan, which makes the food list even more restricted, since I don't eat dairy or eggs. But I'm finding it fine so far and not having too much of a problem sticking with the plan.

I was having very bad migraines the last two days, but that wasn't detoxing. I've been going through some mild depression the last few months and have been reading about amino acid therapy, so I thought I'd experiment with them to see what would work best for me. So I've been taking different AAs (like L-Carnitine, 5-HTP, CoQ12) and seeing how I react. I've noticed that certain AAs cause me to feel more anxious and the blood to flow faster, which in turn triggers headaches for me and then, being impatient with the pain, over-medicate on over the counter stuff and that triggers a migraine. But today I eased off a little on the AAs and now I feel fine, thank goodness!

Tam

happiness seeker
06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Evening chicks!

Welcome Tam. I too am on day 3- I also posted a comment about tofu for you. I would love to say so far so good, but I was starving last night and ate half of the bread that came with my salad. At least it was sourdough, but still a no no. I started right back in today and I feel good. I think I will add 2 days to the end, which is easier for me to think about then feeling like I am starting all over. I have dinner out again tomorrow night to a place I have never been. I am uncertain there, and I do not like going out this often when I am in P1, but I do not want to hide out because of the food restriction. On the positive my cheat was not so enjoyable that I feel like blowing off everything and starting again next week- my normal MO, nor did I give in and get a pint of ice cream last night- since I had blown the day. So I will take these small steps as good ones. I totally upped the liquids today too, so that is helping me feel really full. Well enjoy the evening!!

hereicome
06-25-2008, 09:42 PM
I am on my week 2. I found the first 3 days very difficult to stay on completely. It seems easier now, but can still feel temptation knocking at times. I did manage to avoid the large plate of cookies that were brought to work today. I was watching everyone and kept reminding myself I just had to turn my back and walk away. I did not want that feeling of defeat only empowerment.Yesterday was my can't get full day, but I did stay straight. I am looking forward to a piece of toast in the morning.

Debbie54
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Just bumpin' up the thread

happiness seeker
06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Evening girls. SO I need to share my proud dining moment. I just got back from dinner with my brother at a place I had never been to. I ordered a salmon ceaser salad with no crutons and passed on the bread- which did look delish! I am feeling pretty happy with myself at the moment! :)

happiness seeker
06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi chicks!

So I have a venting ranting moment. I have been pretty good at sticking to P1, just the one cheat on Tuesday. Normally I drop 5 pounds or so in the first week and so far nothing. I know it is early, but I am feeling a little disheartened. I really want to stick too it and drop the weight, but I would like to see the scale move a bit. Any insight or hints?

chiquita623
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Happy Friday everyone. Just a quick check in before the weekend. Doing pretty well so far. Made the Mixed Up Casserole for dinner last night and there is enough left over to have over some lettuce. I think it will be almost like a taco salad. I'm also going to make some baked tilapia this weekend and also some balsamic chicken breasts. That way I'll have some leftovers for my lunches at work next week.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Have a good weekend. I'll check back in later.

Ruthxxx
06-27-2008, 05:24 PM
You know, not everyone loses that illusive 8-13 pounds on Phase I. Lots of things can interfere and one of them is already having been on a diet. Some folks lose nothing on week 1 and then drop in week 2. The purpose of this Phase is to get rid of those carb cravings - weightloss is the cherry on top.

If you like, post your exact menu (with quantities) for a day or two.
Hang in there, Beachies - it'll happen. :grouphug:

happiness seeker
06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Ruth. I did drop a pound so that is making me feel a bit better. I guess I am just more confused that my body is not responding the way it has before. I have been thinking about my meals, I am sticking with the right foods, but I am not so sure I am getting 4.5 cups of veggies. I will have to work on upping that.

hereicome
06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I am on my last few days of phI but I might stay a little longer. I am missing fruit probably wouldn't if it were winter. What really is helping me is a mix of salsa and some beans heated up over my eggs in the morning. I also have put it over a veggie burger and it really is good. I brought it for work lunch several times last week.I never liked beans until I tried SB a few years ago.I did have 2 drinks on Friday at a party. Stuck to the food plan, but ca ved on the alcoshol. Boy, did that go to my head. I was sick yesterday. I never have hangovers. Not eating carbs with the drinks is a real no,no.Lesson learned. Does anyone know how much salsa you can eat?

Ruthxxx
06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Depends on whether there is sugar in it or not, HereICome.
I'm going to close this thread and start the next one called June 29 and Onward. I'll try to copy our two posts there but no guarantees. I'm technically challenged this morning. :rofl: